PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Mentions in the Press

Pages : [1] 2

AlreadyGone95
11-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not. It's a David Fricke Rolling Stone article/interview with Don Henley.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/don-henley-talks-hotel-california-reissue-eagles-future-w511253

Delilah
11-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the link, AG95. That’s an interesting interview, I like what Don had to say about the ‘76 live recordings:

"I was delighted at the energy and grittiness of the live tracks," Eagles singer-drummer Don Henley says of the previously unissued concert recordings – from October 1976 at the Forum in Los Angeles – added to the new 40th-anniversary reissue of the band's fifth studio album and biggest seller, Hotel California. "We're a year late, technically speaking," Henley admits, noting the LP's original release in December 1976. "But we had enough foresight to record those shows. I was surprised that we were doing songs from the album before it even came out. That was pretty ballsy."

As far as nothing left in the vault...maybe they need to look in a different vault!

The picture from the album photo shoot is new to me...maybe it’s in the Deluxe set.

sodascouts
11-21-2017, 03:33 PM
They always say there's nothing in the vault... and it's never true!

Dawn
11-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Henley appears to say alot of things only to back pedal and/or change his mind.

My My
11-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the link, AG. I thought it was an interesting article for a couple of reasons. First, we were all speculating why they took "The Last Resort" out of the set list for last few shows this year. Was it to give Don's voice a rest, give Joe another song, etc. Turns out it was our Midwest sensibilities I guess! Another thing I thought was interesting on a more personal level was that he was somewhat surprised that they had been ballsy enough to play "Hotel California" before the album came out. 41 years ago tomorrow, I had the pleasure of hearing it played live in Indianapolis before the album came out!

East Texas Girl
11-21-2017, 05:26 PM
My My, I so wish I could have attended a concert with you back in '76! ;)

My My
11-21-2017, 05:28 PM
I wish you could have too, ETG. We would have had a blast! Oh where is that time machine when you need it...

East Texas Girl
11-21-2017, 05:32 PM
I know, right! If you ever find one please look me up. :grin:

shunlvswx
11-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Heck I wish I was born in the 70s to see a lot of shows. Sucks being born in 1980. LOL

East Texas Girl
11-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Heck I wish I was born in the 70s to see a lot of show. Sucks being born 1980. LOL

Shun, danged if you do, danged if you don't. :grin:

My My
11-21-2017, 05:59 PM
Yeah, Shun...I feel so sorry for you being young, LOL! I was just young at a great time to be young, musically speaking.
ETG, I'll be sure to look you up when I find that darned old time machine. You'll have to drive to the concert, because I was never the driver on those occasions. I will pitch in 3 or 4 bucks for gas, about half a tank!

shunlvswx
11-21-2017, 06:07 PM
A lot of my favorite singers and groups are the 70s. The Bee Gees, The Osmonds, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac etc. I wish I saw them at the peak of their career. I want I want to experience madness of the crazy fans. LOL

East Texas Girl
11-21-2017, 06:10 PM
My My, sounds good to me. I can definitely do that! That 3 or 4 bucks for gas will probably take me from my home to the center of our small town! :lol:

Shun, when My My finds that time machine, I will pick you up along the way. :grin:

New Kid In Town
11-21-2017, 06:44 PM
They always say there's nothing in the vault... and it's never true!

LOL - So true soda! I don't know why Don keeps saying this when we all know it's bs. Every time they talk about "going into the vault" they seem to find new material. :roll:

Shun - The 70's were a great time to be a kid music wise. So many good groups. I'm glad I was able to experience it. If they make a time machine I'd be more than happy to spend it with you or anyone who wanted to. I'd even pay for your train fare to MSG.;)

Dawn
11-23-2017, 10:53 AM
The late 60's early 70's were the best of times and the worst of times.

UndertheWire
01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
A recent Henry Diltz (https://www.facebook.com/henrydiltzphoto/photos/a.1628750800708229.1073741830.1429233337326644/1976005485982757/?type=3&theater) attracted some interesting comments about Eagles and Gram Parsons. To summarise, they asked Gram to join but he turned them down.

New Kid In Town
01-05-2018, 11:05 AM
A recent Henry Diltz (https://www.facebook.com/henrydiltzphoto/photos/a.1628750800708229.1073741830.1429233337326644/1976005485982757/?type=3&theater) attracted some interesting comments about Eagles and Gram Parsons. To summarise, they asked Gram to join but he turned them down.

UTW - Do yo think this is true ? I have never heard of this in any of the hundreds of articles I read. Besides, Gram was a total junkie/mess then and barely able to perform from what I have read.

UndertheWire
01-05-2018, 02:01 PM
I can't tell if it's true, but it seems plausible to me. Although the poster is specific about when he met Don and Glenn, the actual invitation could have been several years earlier. I believe Bernie heard of Gram's death just as he arrived in London to record OTB. As two songs on the album are inspired by/about Gram ("My Man" and "Good Day in Hell"), it wouldn't be too surprising for them to talk about him on the tour for the album.

sodascouts
01-05-2018, 05:45 PM
It's not impossible, but I find it doubtful, too. Surely it would have been mentioned in HOTE or in one of the many books about the Eagles, or in books/articles about Gram Parsons for that matter.

Freypower
01-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Gram Parsons called the Eagles 'bubblegum'. If there was a band he wanted to join, it was the Rolling Stones.

The commenter needed to have been a great deal more specific if he wished his claim to be believed.

YoungEaglesFan
01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Gram Parsons called the Eagles 'bubblegum'. If there was a band he wanted to join, it was the Rolling Stones.

The commenter needed to have been a great deal more specific if he wished his claim to be believed.

What did he mean by “Bubblegum” exactly? I’m sure it’s an insult but what didn’t he like about them

Freypower
01-05-2018, 07:37 PM
What did he mean by “Bubblegum” exactly? I’m sure it’s an insult but what didn’t he like about them

Too sugary sweet, a pop band, not a rock band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop

Oh, and he also called them a 'plastic dry f*k'.

http://epicdirty.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/gram-parsons-vs-eagles.html

YoungEaglesFan
01-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Too sugary sweet, a pop band, not a rock band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_pop

Oh, and he also called them a 'plastic dry f*k'.

http://epicdirty.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/gram-parsons-vs-eagles.html

That’s odd, I can understand them being too pop for his tastes but Bernie was In it the band, and the others had some similar musical tastes and backgrounds

New Kid In Town
01-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Just my HO but Gram was envious of the Eagles success. At that time in his life he could barley get an album deal and was spinning out of control with his drug use. Bernie knew what Gram was like I can not see him agreeing to have him join the band. Gram was accused of being lazy, unmotivated and not willing to put the time in to make the BB a success. The Eagles were none of these. What is the relationship to Glenn/Don via the person who made that statement?

Freypower
01-05-2018, 09:04 PM
Just my HO but Gram was envious of the Eagles success. At that time in his life he could barley get an album deal and was spinning out of control with his drug use. Bernie knew what Gram was like I can not see him agreeing to have him join the band. Gram was accused of being lazy, unmotivated and not willing to put the time in to make the BB a success. The Eagles were none of these. What is the relationship to Glenn/Don via the person who made that statement?

He claimed he spent a night talking to them having met them backstage after they opened for Joe on the On The Border tour (????). See the link to Henry Diltz's Facebook page. All it is is an unsubstantiated claim that the guy talked to Glenn & Don one night. It is somewhat telling that he misspells Glenn's name until he is corrected.

I met them backstage after they opened for Joe Walsh on The On the Border tour.

So they opened for Joe Walsh on their own tour, did they?

New Kid In Town
01-05-2018, 10:36 PM
He claimed he spent a night talking to them having met them backstage after they opened for Joe on the On The Border tour (????). See the link to Henry Diltz's Facebook page. All it is is an unsubstantiated claim that the guy talked to Glenn & Don one night. It is somewhat telling that he misspells Glenn's name until he is corrected.
I met them backstage after they opened for Joe Walsh on The On the Border tour.
So they opened for Joe Walsh on their own tour, did they?

Thanks FP, Yeah, I saw that on Henry's FB Page. Sorry I just don't buy it. I could never see Bernie agreeing to it. Why would they open up like that to someone they had never met before. They were always closed mouth about band business, why disclose this to a total stranger ?

WalshFan88
01-05-2018, 10:39 PM
I like Gram for what he did with The Rolling Stones, but the guy doesn't do anything for me otherwise. Same with David Crosby. I like CSN(Y), but not as much as the Eagles. But they are what I like to call music purists. If it isn't true blue music that speaks from the heart or is too lighthearted, they hate it. These people love "Harvest Moon" but hate "Heartache Tonight". Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

For better or worse, I've never been scared off by poppier material. A lot of music purists will try to tell you it's wrong to like pop music, but the way I see it, if a song became a hit, it was because it was well liked by a LOT of people. I've always been a hits guy. Not just because they are hits but I've just always found that I know why certain deep tracks are deep tracks and not hits and that my tastes always aligned with the hit songs. Some just go crazy talking about overplayed songs, radio, pop music, hits, etc and I've never been bothered by any of that. If I like a song, I could listen to it 100 times and want to listen more.

It's probably why I'm a bit polarizing in my music views. I appeal to the classic rock diehards who think they don't make good music anymore, and I also shock them when I tell them I listen and enjoy pop country, as an example, because it sounds like classic rock. Or if I tell a classic country fan I love pop country. You would think they were going to throw a blood clot. I DO think some pop music sucks, but not all. I also can enjoy songs without a lot of lyrical depth, and I'm a sucker for fun uptempo guitar driven party songs that drive the purists nuts. Since I'm not that way in real life, I can live out that small side of me through music. Maybe it's because I'm not that serious all the time, but I love fun songs. It's the equivalent of what some call junk food. To me it's comfort food. And it's very good tasting and makes me happy. Maybe it's not really loaded with nutritious properties, or perfectly healthy to eat all the time, but feels good.

I think the Eagles split the difference. And so if someone cares to listen, they can appeal to more serious listeners and those of us just looking for a good time. Unfortunately Parsons, Crosby, and their ilk just never could see past the more poppier stuff to get to the deeper meaning type songs. It's very much their loss.

UndertheWire
03-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Here's another list of top-selling artists in the US.
https://www.workandmoney.com/s/best-selling-musicians-of-all-time-4c35a96646914411?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=tab&utm_campaign=bestsellingmusicians-d491ddd30df61dz1&utm_term=msn-uk-home

Pippinwhite
06-10-2018, 04:59 PM
It's not exactly in "the press", but I thought this was just funny. And I needed a laugh today. Saw it on Facebook. One of the mods can move it to a more apropos thread if need be. Hope someone else gets a chuckle from it, too.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34860772_1932582423468603_4909788372613988352_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeHJIDOIkZWJ-qKYRgyZVOgqmNJDvwI_SCYUh-cNbuy2g54FGSUrJ9vJTJpM5HCahCvyvmVdZcXjpO4AfVxo6DIf LBguMbGBsJqc5-HbPbkSVw&oh=8e2705edb5449238fadb65079cf4fddc&oe=5B7ACE13

New Kid In Town
06-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Thanks Pippin - that's cute. I could use a laugh today too. Thank You.

Brooke
06-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Cute! :lol:

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 04:44 PM
It's not exactly in "the press", but I thought this was just funny. And I needed a laugh today. Saw it on Facebook. One of the mods can move it to a more apropos thread if need be. Hope someone else gets a chuckle from it, too.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34860772_1932582423468603_4909788372613988352_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeHJIDOIkZWJ-qKYRgyZVOgqmNJDvwI_SCYUh-cNbuy2g54FGSUrJ9vJTJpM5HCahCvyvmVdZcXjpO4AfVxo6DIf LBguMbGBsJqc5-HbPbkSVw&oh=8e2705edb5449238fadb65079cf4fddc&oe=5B7ACE13

lol! Too cute!

Houston Baby
11-15-2018, 02:37 PM
I was at Barnes & Noble this week and saw a really lovely book - "Rock and Roll Woman" (The 50 Fiercest Female Rockers) by Meredith Ochs. I thumbed thru it and it was well designed with many photos. I loved the style of it and it had some of my favorites - Stevie, Christine, Tina Turner and my all time fave - Linda Ronstadt. I flipped over to Linda's chapter and was dismayed to see "Henley would induct her into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014". :scowl:
Back on the shelf it went! :nope:

Brooke
11-15-2018, 02:52 PM
I was at Barnes & Noble this week and saw a really lovely book - "Rock and Roll Woman" (The 50 Fiercest Female Rockers) by Meredith Ochs. I thumbed thru it and it was well designed with many photos. I loved the style of it and it had some of my favorites - Stevie, Christine, Tina Turner and my all time fave - Linda Ronstadt. I flipped over to Linda's chapter and was dismayed to see "Henley would induct her into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014". :scowl:

:mad:

CAinOH
11-15-2018, 02:59 PM

Oh, good grief.

sodascouts
11-16-2018, 07:37 PM

:enraged:

SO. LAME.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Smart move, HB. When someone can't get their facts right, they lose all credibility with me. Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus - "false in one thing, false in everything."

11-20-2018, 12:13 AM
I am going to lock the old press thread and move over some posts since it has exceeded 3,000 posts.

johnnycomelately89
12-04-2018, 06:49 PM
I was listening to Volume on Sirius Xm this morning and the conversation was new music movies coming out soon or in development. One of the hosts mentioned briefly that The Eagles MIGHT be in talks about doing something in the same style of the Prince movie currently in production.

Has anyone heard anything else about this? I listen to the show every morning and they cover this topic frequently, not once had they ever mentioned the boys making a studio movie.

Am I the only one who thinks that doing it set as a western would be outrageously cool?

WalshFan88
12-04-2018, 08:06 PM
While the idea is cool on the surface, I have some qualms about it. Namely the fact it would be without Glenn as an active participant, and the fact that HOTE is going to be hard to beat. For me it's "THE" film.

I would personally not want it as a Western. The further the Eagles can get from the Desperado album the better for me. The whole outlaw thing and western gunfighters and cowboys is lost on me completely. I don't like that kind of music either.

I'd rather see it as a Sunset Strip excess ragged rockstars kind of thing, just what I'm into. I like 70s classic rock, hard rock, and 80s hair/glam metal though, so there you go! The country I like is the new stuff that borrows more influences from RNB, EDM, Rock, Hiphop, etc. Basically the stuff that doesn't sound like country. lol I cringe when I hear banjos, fiddles, and mandolins! The sound of pedal steel is nails on a chalkboard. The twangy stuff is just offputting.

EaglesFan86
12-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that doing it set as a western would be outrageously cool?

I wish they would have done this in the 70's with Desperado. I've watched the film Young Guns and have been watching the western television channel Grit TV along with reruns of classic western tv shows on TV Land and and thought about this for a while. I shamelessly even came up with a storyline that involved them along with Jackson Browne & JD Souther who are in the photograph on the back cover of the vinyl record and even Dan Fogelberg whose 1974 Souvenirs album cover reminds me of a character in a western film too.

Getting back on topic I have to say that I too have a qualm about Glenn not being an active participant as well. I have so enjoyed watching the HOTE documentary film that I think anything else would be hard to beat even in this era without Glenn.

WalshFan88
12-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Getting back on topic I have to say that I too have a qualm about Glenn not being an active participant as well. I have so enjoyed watching the HOTE documentary film that I think anything else would be hard to beat even in this era without Glenn.

Agreed!

sodascouts
12-04-2018, 09:29 PM
I've never heard anything about this. Are we talking about a docudrama or a documentary? I'm nervous about it being done without Glenn as well... hmm. The more I think about, the more I'm thinking it might not be a good idea.

Delilah
12-05-2018, 02:05 AM
One of the hosts mentioned briefly that The Eagles MIGHT be in talks about doing something in the same style of the Prince movie currently in production.

This sounds pretty iffy. I imagine there are a lot of Hollywood would-be projects that “might be in talks” esp. given all the re-makes and sequels that the film industry spews out regularly these days, i.e they’re running out of original ideas.

Although, with the huge success of “Bohemian Rhapsody” (w/o the input of Freddy Mercury obviously), there’s a lot of incentive to go after the next big music artist from yesteryear.

Delilah
12-05-2018, 03:03 AM
The Eagles rank #14 ($56 million) for Highest Paid Musicians of 2018. Some of that is due to the sales of their recent re-issues, probably.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2018/12/04/the-worlds-highest-paid-musicians-of-2018-u2-coldplay-ed-sheeran/#3dc726dd4151

johnnycomelately89
12-05-2018, 02:05 PM
This sounds pretty iffy. I imagine there are a lot of Hollywood would-be projects that “might be in talks” esp. given all the re-makes and sequels that the film industry spews out regularly these days, i.e they’re running out of original ideas.

Although, with the huge success of “Bohemian Rhapsody” (w/o the input of Freddy Mercury obviously), there’s a lot of incentive to go after the next big music artist from yesteryear.

It was being talked about being done the same way Across the Universe was done. Which is how the new Prince movie is going to be, basically a musical with the artists' catalog. I think having ANY new Eagles content would be awesome. Using Glenn as an excuse to not keep building on their catalog doesn't make sense to me since the band has shown no sign of slowing down without him.

I LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody, even with it's inaccuracies. Freddie's last instructions to his manager, Miami, were to do what he wanted with his songs as long as he didn't make him boring, it was far from.

That being said, we all know the story of the band. The moments of spontaneous genius, tales of beers being poured over heads so, it would be boring and lazy imo to roll out a watered down biopic. But, an original musical with Eagles songs to tell the story? BRING IT ON!

WalshFan88
12-05-2018, 08:28 PM
For me Bohemian Rhapsody was a bit of a disappointment. Obviously, they couldn't have Freddie Mercury making decisions (RIP), but band documentary movies always do better when the main guy of the band is calling the shots, or at least guiding it some. I felt like the inaccuracies were too hard to overlook. And it just felt like they were a bit loose with it. It's a proof of concept, but could be better executed.

An example of a film lead well, although not with characters reenacting everything, is HOTE for me. It was done so well. Glenn (and the rest of the band) really led us down history lane in a detailed yet entertaining way. His charisma really made it fun. I realize it's not an apples to apples comparison as Bohemian Rhapsody was more of a movie with characters reenacting certain parts of the bands history. Part of me prefers a more documentary approach over a movie reenactment but I'm open to reenactments if they are done with the care, respect, and accuracy they deserve and aren't too schmaltzy.

I'm very curious about the Motley Crue movie, since all members are alive (especially the frontman) and have input into it to make sure it's done right. I have no idea whether or not I will like it.

sodascouts
12-05-2018, 09:34 PM
But, an original musical with Eagles songs to tell the story? BRING IT ON!

For several years, there was talk of a Hotel California musical and I think some people believed it was going to be like this - an original story using songs from the album. That was never actually determined though, and of course never really happened... I wonder if that's the project they were talking about?

groupie2686
12-06-2018, 11:14 AM
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet and I'm not sure I'm going to; I've been a Queen fan since the age of 5 and it just doesn't feel right to have someone playing Freddie, he was one of a kind. For the same reasons, I wouldn't want to see a biopic of the Eagles, with actors playing them, it never comes close to the original. I'd rather watch HOTE.

Pippinwhite
12-06-2018, 03:16 PM
I'm a Queen fan too, and I thought "Bohemian Rhapsody" was very well done. Rami Malik is really great as Freddie. I think he did a great job of capturing Freddie the human being as well as the rock star. I know Roger Taylor and Brian May were both involved in the process, and they were pleased with the movie. It helps knowing going into it that it's not an exact historical reproduction. The Live Aid sequence is worth the price of admission alone. Watching it, I was 16 again, except this time, I was seeing it on the big screen, not on a 24" TV! The movie really caught the spirit of the band and the times where they came to popularity.

I have a feeling any films about the Eagles will be delayed until after all the members have passed on, unless there's some legal tidbit that forbids any movies being made about the band (which wouldn't surprise me).

WalshFan88
12-06-2018, 08:46 PM
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet and I'm not sure I'm going to; I've been a Queen fan since the age of 5 and it just doesn't feel right to have someone playing Freddie, he was one of a kind. For the same reasons, I wouldn't want to see a biopic of the Eagles, with actors playing them, it never comes close to the original. I'd rather watch HOTE.

I would not recommend watching it!

I'm not a big Queen fan, other than a few songs. I went more as a classic rock fan, and hoped it would be pretty good. I don't know a lot of Queen history, and even I noticed inaccuracies so a diehard Queen fan would pick up a lot more than I did. I think if I was a Freddie/Queen fan, I would not want to go, but that's just me after watching it in theaters. I really felt like it was more of a "proof of concept" than an accurate, well thought out movie. More of a way for Hollywood to say "Yep, we can do this!". It's a good idea, but it deserves to be executed better next time. That's my take.

WalshFan88
12-06-2018, 08:50 PM
It helps knowing going into it that it's not an exact historical reproduction.

That's where my problem lies. It's hard for me to appreciate it for what it is as a classic rock historian of sorts and as a lover of music. I'd care even more deeply if it was about my favorite band (Eagles). I'd be watching it with folded arms and analyzing every last second, I can't help it - lol.

sodascouts
12-07-2018, 12:16 PM
All good points.

I would prefer a separate storyline using their music than a biopic for sure. That avoids the landmines of realism, casting the right people, and all the drama when people argue things weren't presented quite fairly.

12-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Yeah - since I am such a stickler for reality, I don't usually enjoy these types of biopics. I'm afraid that HOTE is the closest we may get to the true story of the band, so I am definitely not interested in a revisionist history type of film. That being said, if someone could manage to create a high-quality, true-to-life film that pays proper tribute to the band, I would be all over that.

FreyFollower
12-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Put me in the doubters column. I particularly do not like biopics that take liberties with the truth. If they want to create their own scenarios, they should write fiction. I have never understood why you would do a drama on real persons and not be 100% accurate. The truth is always more compelling. No one could have dreamed up the complicated story that was the Eagles.

I know personally I would not be happy with anyone they would cast. Just like I am not fond of tribute bands, no matter how accurate or well-intended. They just leave me longing for the real thing.

The only "film" I would like to see would be told chronologically, with clips of interviews and home movies of the guys from each period and occasional text . The majority would be the unseen concert footage we know they have, from the beginning to HOTE. I know...dream on!

sodascouts
12-13-2018, 02:30 AM
This does once again bring me back to this thread, though:

Who should play the Eagles in a biopic (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?853-Who-should-play-the-Eagles-if-they-did-a-biopic)?

UndertheWire
12-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Don Henley made me laugh!

They exchange glances when talk turns to the stamina touring requires at their age. “We talked about it,” Walsh says. “We said, ‘Look, we’ve got more than 30 seconds where we don’t matter — we might as well go off stage.’ But we’ve got to stand there and look like we’re into it — and we can’t dance!”
“Well, we could,” Henley suggests, “but we might injure ourselves.”

You need to register to read the article but there isn't much that's different to all the others.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-eagles-interview-on-their-legacy-box-set-and-world-tour-missing-glenn-frey-and-why-they-can-never-leave-9svt325nc

Here's Don sounding a little more grumpy:

Two years ago, just after Frey’s death, they were finally presented with a Grammy for the latter, after they had performed Take It Easy at the ceremony with Jackson Browne. Henley can barely hide his contempt as he recalls the occasion. “I sort of wish we hadn’t done it, frankly. It was too soon, too weird. I don’t know why we said yes. We were still in shock and didn’t know what to do. Then, at the end of it, these two Grammy honchos walked out with the award for Hotel California, which we had refused to show up and accept in 1977.”

sodascouts
12-15-2018, 04:05 PM
I'm torn about the Grammy performance. They did so little for fans at that time; it was nice to have something. However, I can see what he means; I thought it felt off, too, for obvious reasons. Regarding the HC Grammy presentation. I mean, if they didn't accept it in 1977... you'd think it would occur to them they should ask if they want it now before "bestowing" it upon them.

sodascouts
12-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Well, this technically falls under an "Eagles mention in the press" - it's quite tiny, but it certainly made me laugh!

Embrace the Petty with Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac Insult Generator
(https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/the-best-of-lindsey-buckinghams-fleetwood-mac-insults.html)

The Eagles get mentioned in one of the insults. You can hit "Don't Stop" until you get to it, or you can just read it below:

"Sometimes I wish we were the Eagles."

MarthaJo56
12-24-2018, 12:56 PM
I would not recommend watching it!

I'm not a big Queen fan, other than a few songs. I went more as a classic rock fan, and hoped it would be pretty good. I don't know a lot of Queen history, and even I noticed inaccuracies so a diehard Queen fan would pick up a lot more than I did. I think if I was a Freddie/Queen fan, I would not want to go, but that's just me after watching it in theaters. I really felt like it was more of a "proof of concept" than an accurate, well thought out movie. More of a way for Hollywood to say "Yep, we can do this!". It's a good idea, but it deserves to be executed better next time. That's my take.

I think History of the Eagles tells enough. And it's really them. I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth rather than someone's idea of what they think the Eagles would say, do etc. in a screenplay.

sodascouts
12-24-2018, 03:37 PM
I think History of the Eagles tells enough. And it's really them. I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth rather than someone's idea of what they think the Eagles would say, do etc. in a screenplay.
It's funny - you'd think we superfans would be the ones who'd most want to see it, but a lot of us know so much, and are so invested in accuracy, that many times we'd actually be the ones who'd like it least!

NightMistBlue
02-08-2019, 11:59 AM
This is very weird to me. An orchestra was going to perform Hotel California but were informed that "the Eagles no longer want to license their music to other artists."
http://tucson.com/entertainment/music/eagles-check-out-of-hotel-california-tribute-show-with-tucson/article_68eccc8c-7c01-5e7d-8f32-85e6f77eeea7.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR1sMZ2rW8CHpZex1iUeSPKwY_Ysm13zVfhaoIX8v 6JlCieeFrSQVhnNJnI

Don't *want* to license their music, or just want to make it prohibitively expensive? It's not entirely clear from this article.

Usually songwriters want people to cover their songs, as it's a source of revenue.

02-08-2019, 01:11 PM
WOW! Thanks for finding that, NMB. That is such a shame. I just don't understand their mindset about these matters. I get that they may want to maintain some control over who performs their music and may be concerned about overexposure - but $10,000 performance fee per song is really way over the top. It sure doesn't do much to help their image as 'cash cows'. Surely, there is a middle ground here. :shrug: :headscratch: :rolleyes:

Houston Baby
02-08-2019, 01:40 PM
I don't understand either. I always wondered why the Houston Symphony (world class musicians/organization) never did an "Eagles" performance since they have done so many other bands. This is probably the reason.

NightMistBlue
02-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Apparently this is a new policy for the Eagles, as this same orchestra did a performance of Eagles songs last August with no problem.

Though, at least according to David Letterman's producer in this clip, the band has had a blanket "no television" policy for some time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPONYTT-fk&fbclid=IwAR2gNgPRFLGJE2bvj1rPpEf5fjQsXi0gLQLq4DOS5 bYJGRlYMjGiY1xahfs

Brooke
02-08-2019, 03:32 PM
$10,000 per song? :woah:

I wonder what the price was before?

whitcap
02-08-2019, 08:05 PM
https://tucson.com/entertainment/music/eagles-show-creator-didn-t-have-license-for-tucson-symphony/article_ad4d7140-2b8b-53cc-b8a7-7295ddea6210.html

Here's an update on the situation. Apparently the $10,000 per song thing isn't true.

02-08-2019, 08:37 PM
Thanks for that, wc. That does put a different light on the situation.

New Kid In Town
02-10-2019, 12:30 PM
WOW! Thanks for finding that, NMB. That is such a shame. I just don't understand their mindset about these matters. I get that they may want to maintain some control over who performs their music and may be concerned about overexposure - but $10,000 performance fee per song is really way over the top. It sure doesn't do much to help their image as 'cash cows'. Surely, there is a middle ground here. :shrug: :headscratch: :rolleyes:

Dreamer, I could not agree more. I don't get it either. That performance fee is crazy. It appears the Eagles do not care about "a middle ground". I guess I should not be surprised as it has always been about the money for them. Remember the whole David Letterman fiasco. Sad that this attitude prevents people from enjoying their music - potential buyers of the HC album.

02-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Well - according to that interview that whitcap posted, Irving denies that they are asking for a performance fee of $10,000 per song. It does appear that the symphony owners were aware of some requirements that they just ignored. So who knows - the real truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

New Kid In Town
02-10-2019, 03:15 PM
:oops: Sorry Dreamer, I did not see WC's post when I posted my two cents...... Makes more sense now. That group should have known about the license requirement. Don gave them to Ok to perform HC but they changed it to Led Zep. I fell bad for all those people who purchased tickets for the show. Hopefully they can reschedule it for a later date.

sodascouts
02-10-2019, 03:30 PM
So apparently the guy in charge of this just brazenly made up bald-faced lies about the Eagles and Azoff and emailed them to disappointed customers to cover his own mistake. Nice.

What a loser.

New Kid In Town
02-10-2019, 04:49 PM
So apparently the guy in charge of this just brazenly made up bald-faced lies about the Eagles and Azoff and emailed them to disappointed customers to cover his own mistake. Nice.

What a loser.

It sure seems that way. The sad thing is everyone will know about the claim to pay $10k per song and few will hear/know that was not true.

WalshFan88
02-15-2019, 05:04 AM
Hmm. As Dreamer said, the truth is probably in the middle. I can definitely see Azoff being greedy (an understatement if you ask me), but if that guy made that up, he's a loser, as Soda stated.

NightMistBlue
02-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Speaking of Azoff, here's a recent article about him. It's a bit too fawning and I wish they hadn't used the title of Randy's song (even Glenn called it Randy's song!) but that's just me.
http://v1.hitsdailydouble.com/rainmakers1/HITS_RM_IRVING_AZOFF.pdf?fbclid=IwAR38QOcovKGc4ffn udEzS4CcqjvG4jMIeSdpZps1BBsULqMsEYniRHKIz7c

sodascouts
02-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Speaking of Azoff, here's a recent article about him. It's a bit too fawning and I wish they hadn't used the title of Randy's song (even Glenn called it Randy's song!) but that's just me.
http://v1.hitsdailydouble.com/rainmakers1/HITS_RM_IRVING_AZOFF.pdf?fbclid=IwAR38QOcovKGc4ffn udEzS4CcqjvG4jMIeSdpZps1BBsULqMsEYniRHKIz7c

Thanks for that. There is a bit about Glenn's death buried in there:
"'Azoff was devastated by the death of Frey in January 2016. 'Glenn Frey was a huge business, music, and golf influence on me,' he told us. 'It’s like losing a broth-er. It will never be the same. He was beloved by so many—and I don’t mean just industry people. He did so much, and he was a regular guy.' When asked about the key to the partnership of Glenn and Don, who seemed like such opposites yet complemented each other so beautifully, Irving responded, ' Mutual respect and knowing that they each brought something different to the table.'”

I found the term "Golf influence" odd but still, overall, it was a very nice thing to say.

Still, the fact that he has been dishonest in his dealings seems to come up in these interviews regularly, and it always astonishes me that he doesn't seem to be ashamed of that fact, nor does it seem to bother anyone else. Still, that confession was from 1978. Perhaps since then, he has changed his ways.

MarthaJo56
05-10-2019, 11:15 PM
Not sure if this article from January has been previously posted, but it's nice to see Rolling Stone say some nice things about our Eagles :rockguitar::yay::drummer::cool:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/the-40-greatest-eagles-songs-779880/1-hotel-california-1976-779890/

05-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Thanks MarthaJo - and I agree that there aren't normally that many kudos for the band from Rolling Stone. I was actually surprised that I agreed with many of their choices, although not necessarily the order of them. But, it's Rolling Stone so you had to know that there would be a few weird choices in the mix - I mean Disco Strangler, Greeks, and Most of Us Are Sad instead of Seven Bridges Road, Get Over It, or Waiting In the Weeds - REALLY?

The poll isn't that far off from the one we did here on the Border on the band's 40th anniversary year. Both polls are unscientific opinions, so it's impossible to get 100% agreement for sure. For those of you who weren't around then, here's the link to our poll if you're interested ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?3769-Eagles-Top-40-Songs-Border-Poll/page8&highlight=40th+anniversary

sodascouts
06-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Apparently, several master tapes of the Eagles and Don Henley were destroyed in a fire several years back at UMG:

--------------------------
The Day the Music Burned
(https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html)

"The archive in Building 6197 was UMG’s main West Coast storehouse of masters, the original recordings from which all subsequent copies are derived. A master is a one-of-a-kind artifact, the irreplaceable primary source of a piece of recorded music. According to UMG documents, the vault held analog tape masters dating back as far as the late 1940s, as well as digital masters of more recent vintage. It held multitrack recordings, the raw recorded materials — each part still isolated, the drums and keyboards and strings on separate but adjacent areas of tape — from which mixed or “flat” analog masters are usually assembled. And it held session masters, recordings that were never commercially released.

UMG maintained additional tape libraries across the United States and around the world. But the label’s Vault Operations department was managed from the backlot, and the archive there housed some of UMG’s most prized material. [...] The vault held masters for the MCA, ABC, A&M, Geffen and Interscope labels. And it held masters for a host of smaller subsidiary labels. Nearly all of these masters — in some cases, the complete discographies of entire record labels — were wiped out in the fire.

[...]

The list of destroyed single and album masters takes in titles by dozens of legendary artists, a genre-spanning who’s who of 20th- and 21st-century popular music. It includes recordings by Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots.

[...]

The vault fire was not, as UMG suggested, a minor mishap, a matter of a few tapes stuck in a musty warehouse. It was the biggest disaster in the history of the music business. UMG’s internal assessment of the event stands in contrast to its public statements. In a document prepared for a March 2009 “Vault Loss Meeting,” the company described the damage in apocalyptic terms. “The West Coast Vault perished, in its entirety,” the document read. “Lost in the fire was, undoubtedly, a huge musical heritage.”

[...]

It is sonic fidelity, first and foremost, that defines the importance of masters. “A master is the truest capture of a piece of recorded music,” said Adam Block, the former president of Legacy Recordings, Sony Music Entertainment’s catalog arm. “Sonically, masters can be stunning in their capturing of an event in time. Every copy thereafter is a sonic step away.”

This is not an academic point. The recording industry is a business of copies; often as not, it’s a business of copies of copies of copies. A Spotify listener who clicks on a favorite old song may hear a file in a compressed audio format called Ogg Vorbis. That file was probably created by converting an MP3, which may have been ripped years earlier from a CD, which itself may have been created from a suboptimal “safety copy” of the LP master — or even from a dubbed duplicate of that dubbed duplicate. Audiophiles complain that the digital era, with its rampant copy-paste ethos and jumble of old and new formats, is an age of debased sound: lossy audio files created from nth-generation transfers; cheap vinyl reissues, marketed to analog-fetishists but pressed up from sludgy non-analog sources. “It’s the audio equivalent of the game of ‘Telephone,’ ” says Henry Sapoznik, a celebrated producer of historical compilation albums. “Who really would be satisfied with the sixth message in?”

The remedy is straightforward: You go back to the master. This is one reason that rereleases of classic albums are promoted as having been painstakingly remastered from the original tapes. It’s why consumers of new technologies, like CDs in the 1980s, are eager to hear familiar music properly recaptured for the format. Right now, sound-savvy consumers are taking the next leap forward into high-resolution audio, which can deliver streaming music of unprecedented depth and detail. But you can’t simply up-convert existing digital files to higher resolution. You have to return to the master and recapture it at a higher bit rate.

[...]

That same [2008] June 3 Daily News article included a direct quotation from LoFrumento: “In one sense it was a loss. In another, we were covered,” he said. “It had already been digitized, so the music will still be around for many years.” The claim about digital backups, which was reported by other news outlets, also seems to have been misleading. It is true that UMG’s vault-operations department had begun a digitization initiative, known as the Preservation Project, in late 2004. But company documents, and testimony given by UMG officials in legal proceedings, make clear that the project was modest; records show that at the time of the fire approximately 12,000 tapes, mostly analog multitracks visibly at risk of deterioration, had been transferred to digital storage formats. All of those originals and digital copies were stored in a separate facility in Pennsylvania; they were not the items at issue in the fire. The company’s sweeping assurance that “the music” had been digitized appears to have been pure spin. “The company knew that there would be shock and outrage if people found out the real story,” Aronson says. “They did an outstanding job of keeping it quiet. It’s a secret I’m ashamed to have been a part of.”

[...]

Back in 2008, UMG undoubtedly feared the public embarrassment that news of the losses could bring. But Aronson and others suggest that UMG was especially concerned about repercussions with the artists, and the estates of artists, whose recordings were destroyed.

Record contracts are notoriously slanted in the favor of labels, which benefit disproportionately from sales and, in most cases, hold ownership of masters. For decades, standard artists’ contracts stipulated that recordings were “work for hire,” with record companies retaining control of masters in perpetuity. It is a paradox of the record business: Labels have often been cavalier about physically safeguarding masters, but they are zealous guardians of their ownership and intellectual-property rights.

Certain musicians, usually big stars, negotiate ownership of masters. (“If you don’t own your masters, your master owns you,” quipped Prince in 1996 (https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/17/arts/a-re-inventor-of-his-world-and-himself.html?module=inline), at the height of a high-profile standoff with Warner Brothers.) It is unclear how many of the artists whose work was lost in the Universal vault had ownership of their physical masters, or were seeking it. But by definition, artists have a stake in the intellectual property contained on those masters, and many artists surely expected UMG to safeguard the material for potential later use. Had word of the fire’s toll emerged, many of the biggest names in pop music, and many profitable artist estates, would have learned that UMG had lost core documents their catalogs rest on — a source for everything from potentially lucrative reissues to historical preservation to posthumous releases. That scenario could have exposed UMG to a storm of questions, threats and reputational damage from across the industry.

But in the decade since the fire, UMG has faced little apparent blowback from artists or their representatives. It is probable that musicians whose masters were destroyed have no idea that a vault holding UMG masters had burned down. (A UMG spokesperson, asked if there has been any systematic effort to inform artists of the losses, said the company “doesn’t publicly discuss our private conversations with artists and estates.”)

--------------

Due to UMG's coverup, it's possible the Eagles and Don don't even know some of their masters burned.

Houston Baby
06-11-2019, 05:02 PM
I hadn't heard of this. Really makes me sick to think about it. I think they are using the term "archive" and "vault" loosely as it sounds more like a warehouse. An archive or vault should be fireproof. What lunacy!! :-x
Such a sad, sad loss and one that could have been prevented IMO. :sad:

Houston Baby
06-11-2019, 05:04 PM
And thank you for posting Soda! Though it makes me sad, it is good info to know.

sodascouts
06-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Apparently, several master tapes of the Eagles and Don Henley were destroyed in a fire several years back at UMG:

The Day the Music Burned
(https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html)

"The archive in Building 6197 was UMG’s main West Coast storehouse of masters, the original recordings from which all subsequent copies are derived. A master is a one-of-a-kind artifact, the irreplaceable primary source of a piece of recorded music. According to UMG documents, the vault held analog tape masters dating back as far as the late 1940s, as well as digital masters of more recent vintage. It held multitrack recordings, the raw recorded materials — each part still isolated, the drums and keyboards and strings on separate but adjacent areas of tape — from which mixed or “flat” analog masters are usually assembled. And it held session masters, recordings that were never commercially released.

UMG maintained additional tape libraries across the United States and around the world. But the label’s Vault Operations department was managed from the backlot, and the archive there housed some of UMG’s most prized material. [...] The vault held masters for the MCA, ABC, A&M, Geffen and Interscope labels. And it held masters for a host of smaller subsidiary labels. Nearly all of these masters — in some cases, the complete discographies of entire record labels — were wiped out in the fire.

[...]

The list of destroyed single and album masters takes in titles by dozens of legendary artists, a genre-spanning who’s who of 20th- and 21st-century popular music. It includes recordings by Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Lionel Hampton, Ray Charles, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Clara Ward, Sammy Davis Jr., Les Paul, Fats Domino, Big Mama Thornton, Burl Ives, the Weavers, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Bobby (Blue) Bland, B.B. King, Ike Turner, the Four Tops, Quincy Jones, Burt Bacharach, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, Sonny and Cher, the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, Captain Beefheart, Cat Stevens, the Carpenters, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Al Green, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Elton John, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Don Henley, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Iggy Pop, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Barry White, Patti LaBelle, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, the Police, Sting, George Strait, Steve Earle, R.E.M., Janet Jackson, Eric B. and Rakim, New Edition, Bobby Brown, Guns N’ Roses, Queen Latifah, Mary J. Blige, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, Nine Inch Nails, Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Hole, Beck, Sheryl Crow, Tupac Shakur, Eminem, 50 Cent and the Roots.

[...]

The vault fire was not, as UMG suggested, a minor mishap, a matter of a few tapes stuck in a musty warehouse. It was the biggest disaster in the history of the music business. UMG’s internal assessment of the event stands in contrast to its public statements. In a document prepared for a March 2009 “Vault Loss Meeting,” the company described the damage in apocalyptic terms. “The West Coast Vault perished, in its entirety,” the document read. “Lost in the fire was, undoubtedly, a huge musical heritage.”

[...]

It is sonic fidelity, first and foremost, that defines the importance of masters. “A master is the truest capture of a piece of recorded music,” said Adam Block, the former president of Legacy Recordings, Sony Music Entertainment’s catalog arm. “Sonically, masters can be stunning in their capturing of an event in time. Every copy thereafter is a sonic step away.”

This is not an academic point. The recording industry is a business of copies; often as not, it’s a business of copies of copies of copies. A Spotify listener who clicks on a favorite old song may hear a file in a compressed audio format called Ogg Vorbis. That file was probably created by converting an MP3, which may have been ripped years earlier from a CD, which itself may have been created from a suboptimal “safety copy” of the LP master — or even from a dubbed duplicate of that dubbed duplicate. Audiophiles complain that the digital era, with its rampant copy-paste ethos and jumble of old and new formats, is an age of debased sound: lossy audio files created from nth-generation transfers; cheap vinyl reissues, marketed to analog-fetishists but pressed up from sludgy non-analog sources. “It’s the audio equivalent of the game of ‘Telephone,’ ” says Henry Sapoznik, a celebrated producer of historical compilation albums. “Who really would be satisfied with the sixth message in?”

The remedy is straightforward: You go back to the master. This is one reason that rereleases of classic albums are promoted as having been painstakingly remastered from the original tapes. It’s why consumers of new technologies, like CDs in the 1980s, are eager to hear familiar music properly recaptured for the format. Right now, sound-savvy consumers are taking the next leap forward into high-resolution audio, which can deliver streaming music of unprecedented depth and detail. But you can’t simply up-convert existing digital files to higher resolution. You have to return to the master and recapture it at a higher bit rate.

[...]

That same [2008] June 3 Daily News article included a direct quotation from LoFrumento: “In one sense it was a loss. In another, we were covered,” he said. “It had already been digitized, so the music will still be around for many years.” The claim about digital backups, which was reported by other news outlets, also seems to have been misleading. It is true that UMG’s vault-operations department had begun a digitization initiative, known as the Preservation Project, in late 2004. But company documents, and testimony given by UMG officials in legal proceedings, make clear that the project was modest; records show that at the time of the fire approximately 12,000 tapes, mostly analog multitracks visibly at risk of deterioration, had been transferred to digital storage formats. All of those originals and digital copies were stored in a separate facility in Pennsylvania; they were not the items at issue in the fire. The company’s sweeping assurance that “the music” had been digitized appears to have been pure spin. “The company knew that there would be shock and outrage if people found out the real story,” Aronson says. “They did an outstanding job of keeping it quiet. It’s a secret I’m ashamed to have been a part of.”

[...]

Back in 2008, UMG undoubtedly feared the public embarrassment that news of the losses could bring. But Aronson and others suggest that UMG was especially concerned about repercussions with the artists, and the estates of artists, whose recordings were destroyed.

Record contracts are notoriously slanted in the favor of labels, which benefit disproportionately from sales and, in most cases, hold ownership of masters. For decades, standard artists’ contracts stipulated that recordings were “work for hire,” with record companies retaining control of masters in perpetuity. It is a paradox of the record business: Labels have often been cavalier about physically safeguarding masters, but they are zealous guardians of their ownership and intellectual-property rights.

Certain musicians, usually big stars, negotiate ownership of masters. (“If you don’t own your masters, your master owns you,” quipped Prince in 1996 (https://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/17/arts/a-re-inventor-of-his-world-and-himself.html?module=inline), at the height of a high-profile standoff with Warner Brothers.) It is unclear how many of the artists whose work was lost in the Universal vault had ownership of their physical masters, or were seeking it. But by definition, artists have a stake in the intellectual property contained on those masters, and many artists surely expected UMG to safeguard the material for potential later use. Had word of the fire’s toll emerged, many of the biggest names in pop music, and many profitable artist estates, would have learned that UMG had lost core documents their catalogs rest on — a source for everything from potentially lucrative reissues to historical preservation to posthumous releases. That scenario could have exposed UMG to a storm of questions, threats and reputational damage from across the industry.

But in the decade since the fire, UMG has faced little apparent blowback from artists or their representatives. It is probable that musicians whose masters were destroyed have no idea that a vault holding UMG masters had burned down. (A UMG spokesperson, asked if there has been any systematic effort to inform artists of the losses, said the company “doesn’t publicly discuss our private conversations with artists and estates.”)

--------------

Due to UMG's coverup, it's possible the Eagles and Don don't even know some of their masters burned.

No problem, HB.

You know, one thing this article mentions that I didn't quote above - Azoff asked them about whether some particular Steely Dan material had been damaged and UMG was able to reassure him that it hadn't. However, he made no inquiries about the Eagles' and Don's material. That really astonishes me.

Here's the part regarding Azoff:

"The closest UMG came to a public imbroglio may have been in 2010, when, Aronson says, he was sent on an unusual business trip to Pennsylvania. He had been told by a UMG executive that one of the most powerful men in the music industry, Irving Azoff, was asking questions about the loss of Steely Dan masters in the fire. Azoff, the former chairman of MCA Inc., is now the chairman and chief executive of Azoff MSG Entertainment, a live entertainment conglomerate, as well as the “supermanager” chairman of Full Stop Management, whose roster of clients includes Steely Dan and the Eagles. A quarrel with Azoff was an unwelcome prospect. Luckily, the tapes he was concerned about, multitrack masters of Steely Dan’s first releases, turned out to have been moved to UMG’s Pennsylvania tape vault before the fire.

Azoff sent Elliot Scheiner, a celebrated record producer and mixer who had worked with Steely Dan, to confirm the tapes were intact. Aronson accompanied Scheiner to the Pennsylvania facility, the tapes were pulled, the matter was dropped. (Asked about this incident, both Azoff and Scheiner declined to comment.) In fact, UMG documents suggest that Steely Dan masters — different tapes than those sought by Azoff — were in Building 6197 when the fire hit. According to Aronson, these likely included certain album masters, as well as multitrack masters holding outtakes and unreleased material. “Those songs,” Aronson says, “will never be heard again.”

vshiloh
06-11-2019, 05:44 PM
I mean. I have a 1980 concert on DVD, and it is a master, yes that is correct 1980 exists on video in my house. Houston 1980. Luckily that was not one of the vault tapes. Anyway, would the eagles release any of the stuff in their anyway??

Delilah
06-11-2019, 08:23 PM

The Day the Music Burned

" The vault held masters for the MCA, ABC, A&M, Geffen and Interscope labels. And it held masters for a host of smaller subsidiary labels. Nearly all of these masters — in some cases, the complete discographies of entire record labels — were wiped out in the fire.

[...]

[...]

--------------

Thanks for sharing this, Soda, I was about to post this myself. What a shame, especially since it appears there was no thorough inventory done so no one knows exactly what all was lost.

That being said, don’t the Eagles have their own vault? If so, then maybe they still have some master recordings. I also wonder if some of Glenn’s MCA material has been lost as well.

Delilah
06-11-2019, 08:31 PM
No problem, HB.

You know, one thing this article mentions that I didn't quote above - Azoff asked them about whether some particular Steely Dan material had been damaged and UMG was able to reassure him that it hadn't. However, he made no inquiries about the Eagles' and Don's material. That really astonishes me.

I noticed that as well; Azoff has a lot of clients whose recordings could have been lost. Maybe he wasn’t aware they were stored in that building but he did know about SD. At that point he may have had a specific reason to ask about Steely Dan’s recordings, like they were planning on re-issues or something.

I mean. I have a 1980 concert on DVD, and it is a master, yes that is correct 1980 exists on video in my house. Houston 1980. Luckily that was not one of the vault tapes. Anyway, would the eagles release any of the stuff in their anyway??

I don’t believe something like that is considered a master, unless the concert recording was processed in a studio by engineers to optimize sound quality.

06-11-2019, 08:37 PM
I remember reading about this before, but I had forgotten how massive the losses were. It's hard to believe that a company in charge of protecting such valuable property was so careless in securing it. I wonder if there were any lawsuits resulting from their gross negligence.

shunlvswx
06-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Ok. If the Eagles lost some of their masters, how were they able to put out Legacy, Hell Freezes Over and the 40th Anniversary box set of HC? These came out 10 years after that fire? They must had some extra masters somewhere. I'm very confused about what masters were lost.

I'm surprised they weren't any lawsuits. I haven't read or heard that they were getting sued.

Delilah
06-11-2019, 09:48 PM
I don’t think there have been lawsuits b/c, as indicated in the part of the article Soda posted, many artists are unaware of where their masters were being stored and that they were destroyed in the fire. At the time, it seems that the destruction of videotapes and film got the attention of the press and UMG played down the damage to the music recordings.

Some artists are posting on social media that they are now wondering if their “lost” masters were destroyed in the fire.

Ok. If the Eagles lost some of their masters, how were they able to put out Legacy, Hell Freezes Over and the 40th Anniversary box set of HC? These came out 10 years after that fire? They must had some extra masters somewhere. I'm very confused about what masters were lost.

I’m confused about which masters were lost too. But if I’m not mistaken, HFO was mastered from a digital source, not analog.

shunlvswx
06-11-2019, 09:59 PM
I don’t think there have been lawsuits b/c, as indicated in the part of the article Soda posted, many artists are unaware of where their masters were being stored and that they were destroyed in the fire. At the time, it seems that the destruction of videotapes and film got the attention of the press and UMG played down the damage to the music recordings.

Some artists are posting on social media that they are now wondering if their “lost” masters were destroyed in the fire.

I’m confused about which masters were lost too. But if I’m not mistaken, HFO was mastered from a digital source, not analog.

Maybe they change all their albums over to digital. That would kinda make sense since they released three big things in the last 2 years 10 years after the fire.

Scarlet Sun
06-12-2019, 02:32 AM
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-universal-hollywood-fire-master-recordings-20190611-story.html

"Some of Aretha Franklin’s earliest recordings also are believed to be among those destroyed, along with outtakes and never-released recordings by hundreds, if not thousands, of musicians, among them Elton John, Cat Stevens, Nirvana, the Eagles, Aerosmith, Steely Dan, Ray Charles, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Soundgarden, Hole, Eminem, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg."

CAinOH
06-12-2019, 01:31 PM
I've read a couple of versions of this story now (both links posted here) and this is an incredible story! So sad... and unreal.

My husband and I were avid watchers of the television show that Jack and Ozzy Osborne did where they traveled to different places across country. In one episode, they went to Iron Mountain, a place with high security that maintains a photography and images vault in a limestone cavern. They also mentioned that the Sony vault is there.

Here's an article about it:
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/iron-man-ozzy-visits-iron-moutain

I am also familiar with the restoration of old nitrate film, which, if I remember correctly, is just disappearing on its own if not treated. There is a place at Wright Patt Air Force base nearby that is in charge of some of the restoration and storage. It's a very precise and delicate process to repair and store this film.

But... it almost sounds like these masters were stashed in a warehouse. No... just... no! And will we ever know what was actually lost? The artists themselves don't seem to know. I hope an entire accounting of what is missing can come to light at some point.

Such a loss.

New Kid In Town
06-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Ca - I saw that particular show with Ozzie and Jack too. I was surprised they had a vault in a cave. It was really interesting. It is very sad that all those old films and albums are disappearing.

PS - I loved that show with Ozzie and Jack. Although, I could never understand 95 % of what Ozzie said. Thank God for the subtitles - lol !

CAinOH
06-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Quick follow-up article from Variety:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/nirvana-rem-roots-did-not-know-warehouse-fire-destroyed-their-recordings/ar-AACM79k?li=BBnbhK0

And, a quote from Azoff:

Steely Dan’s manager Irving Azoff released a statement on behalf of the band. “We have been aware of ‘missing’ original Steely Dan tapes for a long time now,” he wrote. “We’ve never been given a plausible explanation. Maybe they burned up in the big fire. In any case, it’s certainly a lost treasure.”

sodascouts
06-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Soda, I was about to post this myself. What a shame, especially since it appears there was no thorough inventory done so no one knows exactly what all was lost.

That being said, don’t the Eagles have their own vault? If so, then maybe they still have some master recordings. I also wonder if some of Glenn’s MCA material has been lost as well.

I did a little research on this. In 2011, Don was using his organization, the RIAA, to push for an interpretation of copyright law that would allow artists to obtain their masters even if they hadn't made contractual arrangements to do so initially. At the time, the Eagles didn't have theirs yet; the law wouldn't go into effect until 2013. Obviously, this was post-2008, so....

Here's the 2011 article: "Copyright laws could give music rights back to musicians in 2013"
(https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/record-biz-braces-for-legal-battles-over-copyright-law-249630/)

I wondered about Glenn's material, too, but I think the fact that his name is missing is a good sign. It looks like the author tried to list as many known artists (and even not-so-known artists) as possible in the article to emphasize the scope of the loss, so there's no reason for him to exclude Glenn if he had reason to believe his material was lost.

shunlvswx
06-14-2019, 05:22 PM
So I'm guessing rights and masters are two different things. I always thought the Eagles had the rights to their albums and even had their original masters since the 70s (or got them later). Boy this music stuff is so confusing.

sodascouts
06-14-2019, 09:30 PM
So I'm guessing rights and masters are two different things.

Indeed, but in this case, the article is talking about the rights to the masters which goes hand in hand with ownership of the masters.

The pertinent quote from that article: "Musicians granted the rights to their master tapes would be able to license their music for advertising, sell it to another label or distribute it themselves digitally via iTunes."

Of course, if you're in charge of your master tapes legally, you'll also presumably be in charge of deciding where they'll be stored physically. I doubt the Eagles would be allowed to store master tapes in their vault that they did not have the rights to; I think UMG would have a problem with that. UMG would want control of access to the tapes.

I always thought the Eagles had the rights to their albums and even had their original masters since the 70s (or got them later). Boy this music stuff is so confusing.It is confusing!

Don said this in 2011 in an interview with Rolling Stone (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/don-henley-record-companies-not-going-to-roll-over-on-copyright-issue-237724/):

RS: Why is it important to you to retrieve your master tapes?
Don: We still sell a lot of catalog. So it would mean a great deal to us and our heirs. I have four kids. The future ain’t what it used to be, as somebody once said. For artists like the Eagles and others who have sold millions upon millions of records and made millions in profits for the record companies, those artists should get their creations back. It’s very simple. We created them, we paid for them – why aren’t they ours? But the record companies claim ownership and authorship, which is one of the absurd things in a recording contract.

RS: Have you filed termination rights paperwork for your work, starting with The Long Run?
Don: Not yet. We’re discussing it.

-------------

So the band didn't have them as of 2011. (They mention starting with The Long Run because that would be the first Eagles album which would be eligible under this law.)

Delilah
06-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info on the copyright law change and termination rights. It was my understanding that the Eagles owned the publishing rights but not all the physical copies of their masters.

sodascouts
06-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info on the copyright law change and termination rights. It was my understanding that the Eagles owned the publishing rights but not all the physical copies of their masters.

Yeah, that sounds right. I think the fact that they didn't own the physical copies limits what they can do in terms of mastering and gives the record company power that the Eagles did not want them to have. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I'm not savvy enough in such matters to know all the ins and outs.

CAinOH
06-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Continuing on the fire that destroyed the masters:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/smash-mouth-responds-to-universal-music-fire-our-loss-cant-compare/ar-AADt5lf?li=BBnbhK0

Hole, Soundgarden, and Steve Earle, as well as Tom Petty and Tupac Shakur’s respective estates filed a $100 million class-action lawsuit against UMG last Friday, claiming the company breached its contractual obligations to protect their recordings and to disclose any income received from settlements in the fire’s aftermath. Hole, among others, have said they were not aware their recordings were destroyed before The New York Times Magazine’s report.

And more on the fire (and a continuation of the list of artists involved):
https://www.spin.com/2019/06/universal-music-group-fire-list-neil-young-jawbreaker/

I have a feeling this story is just starting to be told...

Pippinwhite
06-27-2019, 10:02 AM
You know, I remember this happening, but didn't know the significance. I was still at the newspaper and the story about the fire was on the AP wire. As I recall, the statements at the time said something about backup copies, as if the "real" masters were stored elsewhere. Wish I could locate that story. But looks like this has been cover-up central.

sodascouts
06-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Continuing on the fire that destroyed the masters:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/smash-mouth-responds-to-universal-music-fire-our-loss-cant-compare/ar-AADt5lf?li=BBnbhK0

And more on the fire (and a continuation of the list of artists involved):
https://www.spin.com/2019/06/universal-music-group-fire-list-neil-young-jawbreaker/

I have a feeling this story is just starting to be told...

For sure. However, Azoff commenting on Steely Dan but not the Eagles is interesting. Of course, I'm sure they reached out to him and asked him to comment upon the Steely Dan masters since he was the only one who had made any inquiries before this article. Still, his "who knows" response, and apparent lack of interest in pursuing it further, is a bit surprising compared to other peoples' responses... especially considering his reputation. I suppose if the possession of the physical masters was nothing but a power play and a matter of principle, - ie, I don't really need them but they shouldn't have them because they're mine - then it could be something to shrug off as a pity but not that important. Certainly the article and Don's 2011 comments don't characterize it that way, though.

Houston Baby
06-29-2019, 04:37 PM
There is an article/interview in the July 2019 CLASSIC ROCK magazine with Don Felder. Interesting, but nothing new except the group photo of our guys. Or the photo is new to me. It is a great shot of Glenn! LOVE it!!

06-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up, HB. I know you don't post photos on the board, but if you can send me a copy of it, I'll post it the Eagles picture thread.

Houston Baby
06-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up, HB. I know you don't post photos on the board, but if you can send me a copy of it, I'll post it the Eagles picture thread.

Hi Dreamer - I emailed the photo to you. Thank you!!

sodascouts
07-01-2019, 03:30 PM
For sure. However, Azoff commenting on Steely Dan but not the Eagles is interesting. Of course, I'm sure they reached out to him and asked him to comment upon the Steely Dan masters since he was the only one who had made any inquiries before this article. Still, his "who knows" response, and apparent lack of interest in pursuing it further, is a bit surprising compared to other peoples' responses... especially considering his reputation. I suppose if the possession of the physical masters was nothing but a power play and a matter of principle, - ie, I don't really need them but they shouldn't have them because they're mine - then it could be something to shrug off as a pity but not that important. Certainly the article and Don's 2011 comments don't characterize it that way, though.

This story made me think of our discussion:

Taylor Swift Paints Scooter Braun as Manipulative Bully (https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/taylor-swift-slams-scooter-brauns-acquisition-of-big-machine-as-my-worst-case-scenario-1203256624/)

"Some fun facts about today’s news: I learned about Scooter Bruan's purchase of my masters as it was announced to the world. All I could think about was the incessant, manipulative bullying I’ve received at his hands for years. [...] When I left my masters in Scott’s hands, I made peace with the fact that eventually he would sell them. Never in my worst nightmares did I imagine the buyer would be Scooter. Any time Scott Borchetta has heard the words ‘Scooter Braun’ escape my lips, it was when I was either crying or trying not to. He knew what he was doing; they both did. Controlling a woman who didn’t want to be associated with them. In perpetuity. That means forever."

Dawn
07-02-2019, 04:08 AM
Hey friends, been away for awhile have a lot to catch up on!

Please forgive if this has already been posted here or elsewhere ...

Eagles perform in Monaco free concert in honor of Prince Albert II wedding

https://people.com/royals/prince-albert-princess-charlene-eighth-royal-wedding-anniversary/

sodascouts
07-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Hey friends, been away for awhile have a lot to catch up on!

Please forgive if this has already been posted here or elsewhere ...

Eagles perform in Monaco free concert in honor of Prince Albert II wedding

https://people.com/royals/prince-albert-princess-charlene-eighth-royal-wedding-anniversary/

Hi Dawn! Good to see you!

I remember hearing about this when it happened back in 2011. I had forgotten, though, that a free concert was a part of it - I'd thought it was just a private show. How cool! Hard to believe it was eight years ago.

Brooke
07-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Wow, a FREE concert! :shock:

I had forgotten about it all! Thanks Dawn!

07-02-2019, 08:18 PM
WB Dawn - We've missed you! I vaguely remember this, but I didn't realize it was a free concert either.

shunlvswx
07-02-2019, 08:49 PM
I remembered the picture of the guys with Prince Albert and Princess Charlene, but i didn't know it was for a concert the night before their wedding. I don't know why I thought it was for his birthday.

New Kid In Town
07-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Hi Dawn ! How are you ? Thanks for posting the article. I remember reading it in the newspaper when Prince Albert was married. I thought it was two concerts - one for the wedding and one for the public.

shunlvswx
07-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Classic Rock Facebook page just posted this post. Its more than a dozen magazine ads through the years promoting the Eagles albums, their solo albums, items and tours.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-magazine-ads/

My My
07-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the link, Shun. If you scroll to the bottom there are some interesting links to other Eagles related lists...best and worst songs on their albums, album rankings etc.

New Kid In Town
07-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Very Cool ! Thanks for posting Shun !

07-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the link, shun. I'm showing my age, but I actually remember reading the quote about Take It Easy being the best song of the year in Rolling Stone.

sodascouts
07-20-2019, 01:37 PM
How clever -I love that! Thanks for calling our attention to it, shun!

shunlvswx
09-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Ronnie Dunn of Brooks & Dunn is coming out with an album with remakes of country, rock and pop songs. He will remake Peaceful Easy Feeling. The track list looks interesting. I can't wait for it to come out. He doesn't say anything about the Eagles, but i wanted to give ya'll a heads up. The album comes out in January.

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/country/8529280/ronnie-dunn-country-rock-covers-album-re-dunn

Brooke
09-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Cool news, Shun! Ronnie has a great voice. I think he'll do it justice.

Thanks!

09-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up, shun. I hope he will do justice to PEF.

Delilah
09-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Thank you, Shun. I think Ronnie sounds good in that clip of Long Cool Woman. But I’m feeling really dumb right now- I didn’t know “How Long” was a Paul Carrack song. This whole time I thought Ambrosia sang it! :blush:

shunlvswx
09-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Thank you, Shun. I think Ronnie sounds good in that clip of Long Cool Woman. But I’m feeling really dumb right now- I didn’t know “How Long” was a Paul Carrack song. This whole time I thought Ambrosia sang it! :blush:

You're not the only one, Delilah. At first I thought it was Eagles' How Long that's on the album. I was like what do Paul Carrack had to do with that song, but it was the other How Long version. I remembered that song, but I didn't know he had sung that song. I think the group was called Ace. Paul was in a lot of groups.

sodascouts
09-14-2019, 08:06 PM
You're not the only one, Delilah. At first I thought it was Eagles' How Long that's on the album. I was like what do Paul Carrack had to do with that song, but it was the other How Long version. I remembered that song, but I didn't know he had sung that song. I think the group was called Ace. Paul was in a lot of groups.

Same here. There's too many songs with the same name, lol.

Pippinwhite
09-24-2019, 11:54 PM
Don't know who's been watching the Country Music special by Ken Burns on PBS, but this evening, they were covering 1972 to about 1982 or so. (I'll watch the last half hour later.)

Anyway, in late 72 or early 73, the Eagles played at Michigan State University. On the bill with them were Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris and Lester Flatt and his band! Quite a show, and variety you'd never see now. Just thought this was a cool little tidbit of Eagles history. :heart:

New Kid In Town
09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Hi Pippin ! I have been watching it too and really enjoying it. I love Ken Burns, he does an amazing job on his documentaries. I was hoping they would do a little more on the County-Rock scene from that time period. I liked those photos of Bernie and the FBB. That was a really cool billing - such an interesting mix of music. But, that's how it was in the 70's. I'm waiting for some kind of bio on Gram Parsons - such a classic rich kid tragic life. I had forgotten what a nice voice he had. I am not a fan of Counrty music - it did not obviously have a tradition here. My parents never listened to or liked it and I never heard it on the radio. I could never get past the twangy sound. However, after watching this, I have come to appreciate the rich history and tradition.

NightMistBlue
09-25-2019, 10:23 AM
I'm waiting for some kind of bio on Gram Parsons - such a classic rich kid tragic life.

There are several books about Gram, including one co-written by his daughter Polly.

Pippinwhite
09-25-2019, 11:43 AM
@NKIT -- There is a film called "Fallen Angel" about Gram. It's kind of a weird movie, but does cover Gram's career and they talk to his widow Gretchen (now married to the keyboardist in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Bob Carpenter), and maybe to Polly too. It's been a while since I've watched it. It's on DVD. The Belcourt Theater in Nashville showed it several years ago.

Your comment brings home how varied the music scene is around here. I'm sure it's because of Muscle Shoals in large part, as well as Memphis being close, but I heard country, pop, rock, soul, R&B, gospel, oldies and everything else on the radio down here. We listened to everything. Probably explains why I'm such a total music geek. LOL. My parents liked the more country rock sound, and my dad really liked the Eagles. And I listened to big band music on Mama's records. My sister and I also watched American Bandstand, as well as Soul Train. And our first musical crushes were the Osmonds. LOLOLOL.

NightMistBlue
09-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Pippin, did you ever go to Montgomery to see Hank Williams resting place and/or the museum?

P.S. There was also a 2003 movie starring Christina Applegate called Grand Theft Parsons. I enjoyed it but it's by no means a "can't miss this" thang.

Pippinwhite
09-25-2019, 03:26 PM
@NMB -- I have not been to either one, unfortunately. Montgomery is about 3.5 hours south of here, and I don't get down that way that often. I'll definitely try to make time to do that next time I head to the beach, though! Thanks for the reminder! Part of I-65 is called the Hank Williams Memorial Lost Highway in his memory, and I've driven that stretch: http://www.angelfire.com/country/hanksr/losthighway.htm

New Kid In Town
09-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Thank You Pippin and NMB. Gram Parsons was married ?!!!! I did not know that. When was he married ? I will see if my town library has the film. I would love to see it. Muscle Shoals must have been a cool place to be in the 70's and 80's. Pippin, I just watched the PBS special on the NGDB this past weekend. I missed some of it but I'm sure it will be shown again. I enjoyed it. Can you believe Jackson Browne was briefly a member of the NGDB in the 60's !

Pippinwhite
09-25-2019, 04:12 PM
@New Kid-- yep, Gram was married. They married in 1971, although they were separated by the time Gram died.
Part of the appeal of Muscle Shoals for artists was they could live relatively normal lives while they were there. No one bothered them. Bob Seger had a house in the Shoals because he recorded there so often, and if I recall correctly, Glenn stayed there while he recorded in town. You would never know anything like that was happening, unless you were in the music scene.

I do know a funny story about Glenn from the time when he was recording there. Muscle Shoals is part of a group of towns they call the Quad Cities because they all run right into each other. Florence is the city just across the river and there's an ice cream parlor there called Trowbridge's. It's been open since the early 20th century. My mom and dad lived in Florence for a while (met there, even!) and they used to go a lot. When my sister was in college there, she would go, and I've been many times.

Anyway, a former co-worker who's from Florence knows most of the guys in the Swampers, the house band for Muscle Shoals Sound studio (everyone knows everybody). One of the guys in the band who knew her dad said he took Glenn to Trowbridge's one day and Glenn was a convert. He loved it because it looked like the places in Detroit where he went as a kid. It still does. LOL. Anyway, he'd go in the afternoons and eat ice cream. There were several older ladies who worked that shift and they loooovvved Glenn. It goes without saying he charmed their socks off. LOL. They petted him to death and thought he was the living end. Didn't care who he was. LOL. One of the ladies would just swoon when he walked in the door and would say, "Look there! It's my good-looking boyfriend!"

My sister said she was probably in there at the same time as Glenn, but just thought he was a gorgeous guy who came in, not that he was anybody famous. LOLOL.

New Kid In Town
09-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Very Cool Story Pippin ! I can just see Glenn charming all the ladies !

sodascouts
09-26-2019, 12:26 AM
@New Kid-- yep, Gram was married. They married in 1971, although they were separated by the time Gram died.
Part of the appeal of Muscle Shoals for artists was they could live relatively normal lives while they were there. No one bothered them. Bob Seger had a house in the Shoals because he recorded there so often, and if I recall correctly, Glenn stayed there while he recorded in town. You would never know anything like that was happening, unless you were in the music scene.

I do know a funny story about Glenn from the time when he was recording there. Muscle Shoals is part of a group of towns they call the Quad Cities because they all run right into each other. Florence is the city just across the river and there's an ice cream parlor there called Trowbridge's. It's been open since the early 20th century. My mom and dad lived in Florence for a while (met there, even!) and they used to go a lot. When my sister was in college there, she would go, and I've been many times.

Anyway, a former co-worker who's from Florence knows most of the guys in the Swampers, the house band for Muscle Shoals Sound studio (everyone knows everybody). One of the guys in the band who knew her dad said he took Glenn to Trowbridge's one day and Glenn was a convert. He loved it because it looked like the places in Detroit where he went as a kid. It still does. LOL. Anyway, he'd go in the afternoons and eat ice cream. There were several older ladies who worked that shift and they loooovvved Glenn. It goes without saying he charmed their socks off. LOL. They petted him to death and thought he was the living end. Didn't care who he was. LOL. One of the ladies would just swoon when he walked in the door and would say, "Look there! It's my good-looking boyfriend!"

My sister said she was probably in there at the same time as Glenn, but just thought he was a gorgeous guy who came in, not that he was anybody famous. LOLOL.

I love this story! That's adorable!!

Pippinwhite
09-26-2019, 09:25 AM
@Soda -- Yeah, you know Glenn just ate up all that attention. LOLOL.

NightMistBlue
09-26-2019, 10:31 AM
So cute! And thanks for all the awesome travel tips. Muscle Shoals has been on my bucket list since seeing the great documentary a couple years ago. Trowbridge's is only 6 minutes away. Also nearby is Helen Keller's birthplace.

Pippinwhite
09-26-2019, 11:38 AM
@NMB-- Helen Keller's birthplace is in Tuscumbia, which runs right into Muscle Shoals. There's also the Alabama Music Hall of Fame, as well as the Florence Indian Mound Museum, which is truly excellent (not very large, but SO well done!), the W.C. Handy Birthplace and Museum, and Pope's Tavern, which is in an old home and is a funky and eclectic collection of local history artifacts. You can also visit Wilson Dam, which started the process of making the Tennessee River more navigable along its length, and provided flood control and power generation. In short, it's a very cool area with a lot to see and do.

If you ever make it out this way, let me know! The U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is also very much worth a trip! (And we have some awesome food, too!)

Houston Baby
09-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Ok Soda, we have to go back to Muscle Shoals and Florence! :nod:

Delilah
09-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Don't know who's been watching the Country Music special by Ken Burns on PBS, but this evening, they were covering 1972 to about 1982 or so. (I'll watch the last half hour later.)

Anyway, in late 72 or early 73, the Eagles played at Michigan State University. On the bill with them were Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris and Lester Flatt and his band! Quite a show, and variety you'd never see now. Just thought this was a cool little tidbit of Eagles history. :heart:

Hi, Pippin, I’ve been watching it too. :wave:

Last night when Kathy Mattea’s song “Where’ve You Been” was discussed, I could have sworn I heard Don Henley named as one of the songwriters. My husband thought so as well. I guess we both need our hearing checked b/c I looked it up and it’s Don HENRY. LOL. It did occur to me that the song was too sentimental to be Henley’s.

Also, during the Garth Brooks segment, a picture of the early Eagles was flashed on the screen. That was cool to see.

Great story about Glenn and the ice cream. :-D

NightMistBlue
09-26-2019, 01:13 PM
@NMB-- Helen Keller's birthplace is in Tuscumbia, which runs right into Muscle Shoals. There's also the Alabama Music Hall of Fame, as well as the Florence Indian Mound Museum, which is truly excellent (not very large, but SO well done!), the W.C. Handy Birthplace and Museum, and Pope's Tavern, which is in an old home and is a funky and eclectic collection of local history artifacts. You can also visit Wilson Dam, which started the process of making the Tennessee River more navigable along its length, and provided flood control and power generation. In short, it's a very cool area with a lot to see and do.

If you ever make it out this way, let me know! The U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is also very much worth a trip! (And we have some awesome food, too!)

O my gosh, thank you so much - I'm obsessed with Indian mounds. Seriously, I was the president of our local archaeology society for a couple of years. I'll let you know iff'n when I make it up to Alabama. Thanks again!

Sorry to go OT, ya'll. Look at all these great musicians from Alabama! https://www.alamhof.org/inductees

Pippinwhite
09-26-2019, 03:11 PM
@NMB -- You're very welcome! I'd love to see you if you ever visit!

@Soda and Houston Baby-- Come along! I'd love to see you all, too!

09-28-2019, 11:33 AM
I'd love to go to Muscle Shoals and, of course, loved the ice cream parlor story about Glenn. I am so not shocked that the ladies swooned over him. :lol:

Houston Baby
09-29-2019, 01:45 PM
Yes Dreamer - we definitely need to make another trip there since you were not able to make it last time. And thank you Pippin, we will for sure let you know!
I had a wonderful time when Soda and I made the trek there (in 2015?). It seems so long ago!

sodascouts
09-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Yes Dreamer - we definitely need to make another trip there since you were not able to make it last time. And thank you Pippin, we will for sure let you know!
I had a wonderful time when Soda and I made the trek there (in 2015?). It seems so long ago!

No, it was 2014, on the fourth of July weekend. Over five years ago now. Happy times!

Pippinwhite
09-29-2019, 07:23 PM
Ladies, next time, come in the fall. July is too blasted HOT! October is good! Or even November! :grin:

KingWalsh
02-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Ultimate classic rock posted this today...in case you're interested. a fun read, regarding who sang the most Eagles songs.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-lead-vocals-songs/

CAinOH
02-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Ultimate classic rock posted this today...in case you're interested. a fun read, regarding who sang the most Eagles songs.

I know Glenn said it was his decision to have Don sing most of the songs, but I wish that hadn't been so. What I really miss, though, is how they used to trade leads on some of the songs... so glad they did that again on How Long.

New Kid In Town
02-28-2020, 11:59 AM
I know Glenn said it was his decision to have Don sing most of the songs, but I wish that hadn't been so. What I really miss, though, is how they used to trade leads on some of the songs... so glad they did that again on How Long.

Hi CA - I could not agree more ! I feel one thing that was great about the Eagles was when they had more than one person singing all the songs. I really loved when Don and Glenn split the vocals like the did in the early days. HC should have had Glenn singing at least one more song. I would go for LITFL - perfect for him.

Brooke
02-28-2020, 03:42 PM

Too bad they couldn't get the song No More Walks in the Wood right! Called Wood Road four times! (that I counted) :lol:

I miss them all singing too.

02-28-2020, 10:36 PM
Yep - I've been saying for a long time that I thought Glenn should have sang Life in the Fast Lane. I've heard him perform the song live and he does a great job with it. I'm not saying it would have been a better song with Glenn doing it, but I think it would have been equally as good. Besides he was the one that had the concept for the song and when he heard Joe playing that now famous riff, he immediately thought 'Hey, that's life in the fast lane'. I wish he hadn't had the mindset that Don's voice was better suited for the rockier uptempo songs. I mean heck - if he could pull off Heartache Tonight and even win a grammy for best rock vocal performance, then he surely could have done justice to LIFL. :nod:

And just one other observation about Don's lop-sided number of lead vocals. You have to take into consideration that he gets credits for lead vocals in songs where he only sings a a few lines like Ol' 55, After the Thrill Is Gone, and What Do I Do with My Heart. I totally agree that I love the songs where Don and Glenn share lead vocals, but, in some cases, for example, Do Something or Teenage Jail, does it really add anything to the song to have another vocalist come in just for a couple of lines?

KingWalsh
02-29-2020, 05:28 PM
Too bad they couldn't get the song No More Walks in the Wood right! Called Wood Road four times! (that I counted).

I noticed that too!:lol: Maybe they have the same cruddy auto correct as my kindle! Ha ha. I can't tell you how many things it botches, and I'll fix in post preview on here and then when I officially post , somehow it gets messed up again....I know it's the kindle too because I have problems with email too

Brooke
03-02-2020, 05:18 PM
I noticed that too!:lol: Maybe they have the same cruddy auto correct as my kindle! Ha ha. I can't tell you how many things it botches, and I'll fix in post preview on here and then when I officially post , somehow it gets messed up again....I know it's the kindle too because I have problems with email too

That could be too, KW.

Many times I've typed the word I wanted to use and then look back and it has 'corrected' it to what they think it should be. :rolleyes:

And being ocd about it I then have to go correct it to what I wanted!

KingWalsh
03-03-2020, 04:48 AM
Oh Brooke it’s so frustrating! I know I have to constantly correct. And then I think it’s all good. Submit. And all sneaky like it’s botched again. Evil kindle...i don’t have such a prob with iPhone..(using now on my break) .but easier to see on kindle. Aargh.

KingWalsh
03-21-2020, 04:31 AM
Eagles “Desperado” end 80s office hostage situation, that’s how powerful they are! Period!....in all seriousness pretty scary/creepy!

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-desperado-hostage/ (https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-desperado-hostage/)

03-21-2020, 11:08 AM
Thanks for finding this, KW. Of course, I knew about this incident, but have never heard some of the details that are in this article.

Responding to the situation, office manager Ruth Manne invited 28-year-old Joseph Paul Rivera into her office with the hopes of calming him down. Instead, witnesses outside the officer heard the door being locked. “All of a sudden, we heard this ruckus like furniture being banged together, and maybe a file cabinet being overturned,” label executive Morty Gilbert said.

Inside the office, Rivera shot a bullet into the ceiling and told Manne that he wanted the Eagles to lend him $2,500 because his truck had been stolen. He said his vehicle was sold by two men who had taken advantage of the fact that he was in a hospital recovering after being mugged. He asked for Browne, Don Henley and Glenn Frey by name. The label placed “several frantic calls” in an attempt to track down one of the artists but failed.

I knew that it ended when the DJ played Desperado, but I had never heard that Rivera broke down in tears upon hearing the lyrics “Why don’t you come to your senses? You’re out riding fences.” I also was surprise to hear the incident lasted for about 2 hours. He was charged with kidnapping, possession of a weapon, and reckless endangerment. I always wondered what happened to him - did he get convicted and spend time in prison?

Anyway, I guess you can tell I was intriqued by the Ultimate Classic Rock article. :wink:

CAinOH
03-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Here's the story about it:

https://content.screencast.com/users/cheryl7821/folders/Default/media/b1b8c054-d335-42a0-ba0e-33d651f652b3/EaglesStickUp.jpg

03-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Yep CA - That's the version I have seen - it's the one Soda has on the EOC site and blog.

New Kid In Town
03-21-2020, 01:18 PM
Wow - I had completely forgot about this. I can't imagine the guy not doing some jail time.
CA - Thanks for the article.

sodascouts
03-21-2020, 11:45 PM
Wow - I had completely forgot about this. I can't imagine the guy not doing some jail time.

I know, right? That's some pretty serious stuff. I also was unfamiliar with the extra details in the UCR article that Dreamer quoted.

Thanks for re-posting that article, CA!

NightMistBlue
05-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Terrible news!! Oh I hope the Troubadour can survive. Note: The Eagles are mentioned in the longer L.A. Times article but there’s a bit of a pay wall issue there. https://ktla.com/news/local-news/historic-troubadour-club-in-west-hollywood-may-not-survive-longterm-coronavirus-closure/?fbclid=IwAR3tG54I6p1Yg6e06kVgfN4VUCLU0bAVGV2qmY95 sTv6tt4GRjX26wCRe4w

sodascouts
05-05-2020, 07:44 PM
Unbelievable that it could close!

KingWalsh
05-21-2020, 03:49 PM
UCR at it again! Neat article regarding One of these Nights. 🎸.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-one-of-these-nights-song/

05-24-2020, 11:19 AM
Thanks for finding that, KW. It was an enjoyable read. However, true to UCR fashion, if you scroll down past the main article, they have some :headscratch: choices for best and worst songs from each Eagles album. :shrug: :hmm:

KingWalsh
05-24-2020, 03:53 PM
Ya I saw that Dreamer, I don’t agree with those choices and see the need for that! Hmmph! :| Sometimes they tag along the ratings of solo albums too, I know that’s all a matter of opinion, but I disagree on the way that rolls out too. The other day they also had a listing of what songs they played the most live, I’m not sure where they got stats from because some just didn’t make sense to me. But, I’m glad they are still mentioned nonetheless.

NightMistBlue
06-12-2020, 07:27 PM
The New York Times has a new interview with Bob Dylan. They asked him what his favorite Eagles songs are. He said New Kid in Town and Life in the Fast Lane. He also says Pretty Maids All in a Row “could be one of the best songs ever.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/arts/music/bob-dylan-rough-and-rowdy-ways.amp.html

KingWalsh
06-13-2020, 03:50 AM
Thanks for sharing NMB. Will definitely give it a read, glad he gave some praise :applause:

06-13-2020, 11:08 AM
Thanks NMB - Methinks Bob must be a fan of the Hotel California album. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
06-15-2020, 02:20 PM
The New York Times has a new interview with Bob Dylan. They asked him what his favorite Eagles songs are. He said New Kid in Town and Life in the Fast Lane. He also says Pretty Maids All in a Row “could be one of the best songs ever.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/arts/music/bob-dylan-rough-and-rowdy-ways.amp.html

Love his assessment of "Pretty Maids" - high praise indeed! And such a magnificent song.

NightMistBlue
07-11-2020, 05:36 PM
An article about the non-Eagles band members https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-touring-members/

New Kid In Town
07-12-2020, 09:02 AM
NMB - Thanks for postint that. It was an interesting read.

07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the link, NMB. I don't know who the guy is in the picture of Michael Thompson, but I'm pretty sure it's not Michael. And I thought it was interesting that they included John Corey in the article. I didn't think he has been in the line-up since HFO.

NightMistBlue
07-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Is July 12 an accurate date for the first time the proto-Eagles played together? I thought someone found some advertisements for Disneyland grad night and it was in June 1971. But then a quote from Glenn indicated Randy was not at the Disneyland gigs; Randy’s first time playing in the band was at Chuck’s Cellar in Los Altos. https://tasteofcountry.com/the-eagles-first-gig-linda-ronstadt/

New Kid In Town
07-13-2020, 02:22 PM
Hi NMB - I always was under the impression it was in June 1971. Way back when someone post a program from the Disney show. John Boylan has said the Disney gig was the first time the four of them played together.

I loved seeing the pictures of Glenn's house again.

NightMistBlue
07-13-2020, 03:09 PM
John Boyland would know.

07-15-2020, 10:38 AM
NMB - We have their first performance date as July 12th on our Border 'This Day in Eagles History' calendar. That's not a guarantee that it is correct, but I do know that Soda did a lot of research to try to confirm these dates when she was developing the board.

NightMistBlue
07-15-2020, 06:43 PM
Thank you!

Shadowland07
07-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or the YouTube thread, so if it needs to be moved so be it.

https://youtu.be/RqvuEal2P2E

5:10 Mark is when Henley is talked about.

07-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Thanks SL. That was an interesting rant!

secret squirrel
08-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Iknow this must be on here somewhere but can anyone direct me to thepage/thread?

10 Best Eagles Songs Not Sung by Glenn Frey and Don Henley (https://ultimateclassicrock.com/best-eagles-songs-not-frey-henley/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral)

Thanks, guys!

SS
xx
https://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.com/

08-08-2020, 11:13 AM
SS - I know it has been posted on the board before, but I don't think it got it's own thread. It was probably mentioned when another UCR link was posted because they always post these kind of lists at the end of other articles. If you don't scroll down, you may miss it.

New Kid In Town
08-09-2020, 12:49 PM
SS - I know it has been posted on the board before, but I don't think it got it's own thread. It was probably mentioned when another UCR link was posted because they always post these kind of lists at the end of other articles. If you don't scroll down, you may miss it.

Dreamer, it was posted somewhere here.
SS - I guess you will just have to check the thread - it's long ! Good Luck !

WalshFan88
08-29-2020, 03:50 PM
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/worst-eagles-songs/

Interesting list.

I completely disagree over GOI's inclusion. I think it's a fantastic song. Although Henley's cynical side wears on me, this is a fun rocker and should have been played more.

KingWalsh
08-29-2020, 08:05 PM
I don’t understand the purpose of this article. Like why?:hmm: Rude! I like TJ too! GOI is fun and OTB rocks!! UCR flopped on this.

chaim
08-30-2020, 12:59 PM
I don’t understand the purpose of this article. Like why?:hmm: Rude! I like TJ too! GOI is fun and OTB rocks!! UCR flopped on this.

And, I think, the writer takes Teenage Jail (including Glenn's synth solo) far too seriously.

groupie2686
08-30-2020, 07:20 PM
I agree with some of these - Frail Grasp on the Big Picture could have been filler on a Henley solo album and I agree with TLR tracks being included. I completely disagree with GOI and OTB being included, both are great!

Brooke
08-31-2020, 01:31 PM
What do these people know about it anyway! The press never like the Eagles, so there you go!

Rude!!!

09-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Yeah - I rarely agree with UCR's rankings of Eagles music. Whoever they have do these for them seems to be on another planet than your average Eagles fan.

Delilah
09-22-2020, 07:48 PM
Rolling Stone magazine has updated its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. This was how the selections were made (the list was months in the making):

But no list is definitive — tastes change, new genres emerge, the history of music keeps being rewritten. So we decided to remake our greatest albums list from scratch. To do so, we received and tabulated Top 50 Albums lists from more than 300 artists, producers, critics, and music-industry figures (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/voters-500-greatest-albums-list-1062225/) (from radio programmers to label heads, like Atlantic Records CEO Craig Kallman). The electorate includes Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, and Billie Eilish; rising artists like H.E.R., Tierra Whack, and Lindsey Jordan of Snail Mail; as well as veteran musicians, such as Adam Clayton and the Edge of U2, Raekwon of the Wu-Tang Clan, Gene Simmons, and Stevie Nicks.

Eagles albums making the list are Hotel California (#118 ) and Eagles (#207). I’m a little surprised Desperado didn’t make it on there, unless I overlooked it. But anyway, yay Eagles!!

“The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time” by Rolling Stone, September 22, 2020. (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/)

KingWalsh
11-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Regardless how you feel about Irving, this article is a great read. Lots of Eagles mentions and some pics including a Joe and Irving pic that was new to me. Enjoy.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-11-05/irving-azoff-eagles-manager

11-06-2020, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the link to the article on Irving, KW - it was an enjoyable read.

And same for the Rolling Stones link, Delilah. I just shake my head at these lists. While some may think 118 is respectable for Hotel California, I look at many of the albums on the list that placed higher and just roll my eyes. Suffice it to say, I respectfully disagree with many of their choices including the #1 selection.

KingWalsh
02-04-2021, 04:45 AM
Wasn’t sure where to post this but local radio station, WPLR, is celebrating 50 years and this week celebrating 1976 with a vote of best record with choices being Boston-Boston (it’s okaaaaay :razz:) Bob Seger- Night Moves or Eagles- HOTEL CALIFORNIA (Ya bruddha) I mean, sorry Bob, but is this even a question?!? They are taking votes via twitter.
here is the link
https://www.wplr.com/2021/02/01/50-years-50-albums-vote-for-1976s-album/

they also mention the YALE BOWL 1980 concert and use examples of songs on set list and use a vid posted by one of our own edwardd19! :applause: here is the link for that

https://www.wplr.com/2021/01/13/throwback-concert-eagles-at-yale-bowl-1980/

NightMistBlue
02-09-2021, 03:23 PM
Hear that, Edward? You're famous, man!

WalshFan88
05-10-2021, 05:15 PM
An absolutely terrible article, but worth the read somehow to give you an idea of how some think about our guys. It ends how it starts with the title "The Case Against the Eagles".

https://www.theringer.com/music/2021/5/5/22420083/the-eagles-glen-frey-don-henley-50-years

MarthaJo56
05-10-2021, 08:43 PM
An absolutely terrible article, but worth the read somehow to give you an idea of how some think about our guys. It ends how it starts with the title "The Case Against the Eagles".

https://www.theringer.com/music/2021/5/5/22420083/the-eagles-glen-frey-don-henley-50-years

You're correect. It IS a terrible article. Why "critics" insist on dissing perfectly talented musicians, yet praise those using auto tune and and have no talent, is beyond my comprehension.

05-11-2021, 10:49 AM
Yeah these critics with their 'holier than thou' attitude truly annoy me. She summarize this 'critique' by saying "The more the Eagles won, the angrier they got". Methinks she must have been looking in the mirror. Surely, there is no underlying jealousy of those who had much more success than she.

Wow! Just Wow! :headscratch:

FreyFollower
05-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Yeah these critics with their 'holier than thou' attitude truly annoy me. She summarize this 'critique' by saying "The more the Eagles won, the angrier they got". Methinks she must have been looking in the mirror. Surely, there is no underlying jealousy of those who had much more success than she.

Wow! Just Wow! :headscratch:

Well, yeah. A member of a "garage punk" band..not the most popular genre, launching a tirade on the biggest US band ever. I detest this type of "critique", where they fail to find legitimate complaints about them musically, so they instead rip them for (what THEY say are) their opinions, attitudes, and intentions. This woman looks as if she wasn't even around during most of their nearly 50 years, but somehow knows the climate of the times and what they were thinking. She thinks their music hasn't aged well because....(let's forget they still sell like crazy) I dunno. Didn't she show the intelligence of her opinion by using seldom used words like "unctuousness" and "solipsism"? The others' complaints were as ridiculous as hers. Not personally liking an act is no reason to declare their legacy unimportant. "Knockoffs" and "deplorables"? My foot!:scowl:

Scamp
05-12-2021, 07:52 AM
She must have really been an angry kid who always got her way. If she didn't like it, it was no good. She seems to like using those great big words to show her" intelligence" but then tops it with four letter words that really show her true self. I don't know maybe I grew up in a different time zone, in a different LA. I certainly remember a different feeling in the LA music scene. It switched from NY to LA, which seems to have ticked her off. The music of the time came from music from before. Writers are influenced by what they listened to as kids growing up, by the area they lived in and how they feel when they are writing. Some, like Don can come up with words for almost any song and some like Glenn are good with the music.
The way they acted was a way of the times. I remember when CS&N was first thought of as a folk group. If you here in LA at the time, as I was, it was all happening it was great. New artist, new sounds blending of rock and roll with country. It was great. There was so many places you could go to and listen to different types of music and listen to people just starting out.
As far as Don getting his lawyers after people that were basically taking his songs and changing some words to fit them, why shouldn't he. I think they learned, in some ways, the hard way about protecting their music. If you cover someones song you use their words and you pay to do it. That's the business.

FreyFollower
05-12-2021, 12:04 PM
Of course, I was being sarcastic about her vocabulary. And Scamp, I also agree with Don about the use of his lyrics. Songwriters' work should be respected just as anyone else's. They work hard to craft these songs, and should be paid for their use. Why should it be okay to be lazy and take someone else's work, act as if it were your own, and benefit from it monetarily, while its creator gets nothing? A songwriter carefully crafts a song to say just what he wants to say. Is it any surprise that they would be upset if someone changes it without permission?

WalshFan88
05-12-2021, 10:34 PM
Agreed, everyone. It is asinine.

KingWalsh
05-14-2021, 03:58 AM
Omg! I saw this article what a twit!! How about when she stated that the BBQs when she was a kid ...
All the harmonies, honky-tonk men, and scarlet women made me intuitively uncomfortable. Really? This makes you uncomfortable? Lol but I guess you’re right at home with WAP. What a joke.

the whole rambling rant is such a waste. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but what was the point with this? :scowl: :hand:

Asinine is putting it mildly.

chaim
05-23-2021, 01:35 PM
I didn't bother to read it, but it's always hilarious when people devote so much time and energy to writing about something thet can't stand.

chaim
05-23-2021, 01:36 PM
I didn't bother to read it, but it's always hilarious when people devote so much time, thought and energy to writing about something they can't stand.

WalshFan88
05-24-2021, 12:27 AM
Well said, everybody.

Scamp
05-24-2021, 09:37 AM
If any of you have AXSTV they are having an Eagle marathon, as they call it, this weekend Saturday start out at noon with Brian Johnson Rode Trip. Joe Walsh is his guest. Then they will have the concerts, HFO and Farewell, repeated throughout the day, evening. Sunday the concerts will play over and over.
So If you haven't seen any of the three, yeah right, it's your chance to see and record them.

FreyFollower
05-24-2021, 11:12 AM
I'm STILL mad at Suddenlink Cable for dropping it!:-x

05-30-2021, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm quite late with my response, but I don't have AXSTV either. Thanks for letting us know about it though, Scamp.

KingWalsh
07-13-2021, 03:52 AM
Here is a link to UCR who ran an excerpt from Richard Marx book (who knew?). I knew Randy, Timothy and Joe are on “Don’t Mean Nothing”, but never heard the backstory to how it unfolded…..very cool backstory I think. It’s a quick read, enjoy. https://ultimateclassicrock.com/richard-marx-eagles-book/

07-15-2021, 11:19 AM
Thanks for posting that, KW. I love that song and knew that Randy, Tim, and Joe contributed. However, it was fun reading the details about how Richard was able to get them on board. It definitely has an Eagles vibe and I always thought of it as a rockier version of King of Hollywood.

shunlvswx
08-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Life magazine has a whole issue dedicated to the Eagles that should be out already. Henry Diltz showed us a copy on his social media pages.

FreyFollower
08-07-2021, 03:21 AM
Time magazine has a whole issue dedicated to the Eagles that should be out already. Henry Diltz should a copy on social media page.
Thanks for letting us know about it, Shun! I've seen a lot of music tribute mags lately, and wondered, Why not our guys? Now I've got to try and find it!

tbsfan
08-07-2021, 10:26 AM
It's actually Life magazine and not Time. Here's a link to Henry Diltz's instagram photo showing the magazine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSPdP6NnOy6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSPdP6NnOy6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

New Kid In Town
08-07-2021, 10:54 AM
Wow - Can't wait to get it ! Thanks Shun. Anyone thing a grocery store will sell it or is B & N the best place ?

08-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Thanks so much for the heads up, shun. I'm going on a mission to find it as well. If anyone finds it, please let us know where.

shunlvswx
08-07-2021, 02:12 PM
Oops. I don’t know how I got time. Thanks for the correction, tbsfan. Either way. I’m glad they got another magazine company who’s paying tribute to the guys.

tbsfan
08-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Oops. I don’t know how I got time. Thanks for the correction, tbsfan. Either way. I’m glad they got another magazine company who’s paying tribute to the guys.

I often think of the two of them together, probably because of all those Time/Life infomercials (https://timelife.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw3riIBhAwEiwAzD3Tie7D9m9Fbm0ftsAzIWd XdQTGskDbaEWUVI_na9W3_VBGM2rBgN1q7RoCgkIQAvD_BwE) that used to come on.:D

KingWalsh
08-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Ooh I want i want !! Gimme gimme!! Will keep my peepers open! Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup:

Shadowland07
08-14-2021, 03:38 PM
For any audiophiles here

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9614564/eagles-albums-vinyl-box-sets-mobile-fidelity-sound-lab

I'm not sure if they are worth it. I've heard mixed things about Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab.

https://mofi.com/collections/eagles

08-16-2021, 08:29 PM
Thanks for finding this, SL. I wonder how many times they can reinvent the wheel??? I'm gonna pass.

FreyFollower
08-17-2021, 04:04 AM
Thanks for finding this, SL. I wonder how many times they can reinvent the wheel??? I'm gonna pass.
Yeah, I was really hoping for their 50th, fans could be blessed with unreleased material: concert and historical videos, "new" songs, memoirs, a book of unseen photos with commentary.....things that would be really treasured mementos. But as this no effort collection of recordings die hards already have 10x over shows, it ain't gonna happen. If Glenn's passing and the daily loss of older fans doesn't make them consider digging out what people have so long wanted, nothing will.🙁

NightMistBlue
08-19-2021, 08:24 PM
There’s a vinyl release of the Eagles Live at the Forum ‘76 coming on November 12th!! https://eagles.com/news/299867

LuvTim
08-19-2021, 09:19 PM
There’s a vinyl release of the Eagles Live at the Forum ‘76 coming on November 12th!! https://eagles.com/news/299867

NMB!! Hugs to you! Thanks for this exciting news!!😎

WalshFan88
08-23-2021, 03:37 PM
If it comes out on CD, I'll grab it. I know it's also on the HC Deluxe remastered thingy, but I like having them all. :lol:

That said, I have this thing where I won't buy *new* vinyl, just old vinyl. I don't know. Just seems to defeat the purpose in my weird brain. :grin:

FreyFollower
09-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Was reading elsewhere about the recent concerts from the guys. I noticed folks (non-media) had taken some nice photos.:shock: A lady said she was right by a guard, and people were filming and snapping away, and no one said anything!!!:thud:The end is surely near!!! Lol!:stunned::lol:

WalshFan88
09-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Was reading elsewhere about the recent concerts from the guys. I noticed folks (non-media) had taken some nice photos.:shock: A lady said she was right by a guard, and people were filming and snapping away, and no one said anything!!!:thud:The end is surely near!!! Lol!:stunned::lol:

I have no interest in what the group now touring with that name is doing...

But I will say, perhaps Don Henley has started to finally wake up and smell the roses and realize the era of smartphones, social media, YouTube/Google, Spotify, streaming, etc is here to stay. Don is fighting a losing battle. Sure, he has a right to stand up for it. The youth of today is leading the future and is progressive. The time for fuddy duddy mentalities to realize that while they have the right to think the way they do, they will just be left behind in the dust by the masses and certainly by the younger generations who are going to be taking over. And not just in terms of using smartphones but in every area of replacing traditionalism and views as such and being more open to new things and getting rid of oppressive old irrelevant societal norms. To quote a line from the movie The Waterboy - you might think phones/foosball are the devil, lol, but Bobby is still gonna use 'em/play foosball anyway, mama! Don has been fighting a losing battle. Maybe he's given up or maybe that guard was slacking. I'm leaning towards the latter. :grin:

Personally, I can understand the qualms of the audience around you and holding up your phone all night. I can also understand the band's point of view of taking lots of video and posting it and it eating into concert revenue. But taking a few pictures and just being able to use your phone before the band even takes the stage (something that was a no-no on the HOTE tour when I found my seat and was just browsing to buy the time, with all the house lights ON!) - give me a break. People are going to take selfies, and photos to remember this by. Selfies aren't the devil, either. What, some people are happy with the way they look or just want to share a picture of themselves with the stage as a backdrop? Throw them in "narcissist row" at the jail! :hilarious: And if you or your opening act aren't on stage performing, be it before the show or during intermission - let them use their damn phones! It's hurting nothing. The lights are all on, people that don't need a bathroom break or a snack just sit there and what, stare at their shoes? Yes I know that's what happened years ago but smartphones are great for getting through boredom like that! Just because you can do without doesn't mean you have to. Nor do you always want to talk to others around you, lol. It's hurting nobody. It's just a control freak thing on the part of the band. That part of it is the least defensible vs photos/videos.

Scamp
09-04-2021, 08:44 AM
I see Joe doesn't mind phones at his shows in fact he makes fun of it. In Vegas at the House of Blues you can see him even go up to the side of the stage when someone wanted a picture. What a picture someone got. He looked right at them, smiling and playing. I think he actually enjoys the interaction with the crowd. Plus that brings in more fans too.

WalshFan88
09-04-2021, 03:08 PM
I see Joe doesn't mind phones at his shows in fact he makes fun of it. In Vegas at the House of Blues you can see him even go up to the side of the stage when someone wanted a picture. What a picture someone got. He looked right at them, smiling and playing. I think he actually enjoys the interaction with the crowd. Plus that brings in more fans too.

Agreed. Sadly it isn't left up to Joe on the Eagles shows. And clearly it wasn't Glenn's decision since this has still been happening in the 3.0 era, at the very least until just now, but I do think it was a lenient guard who realizes how silly this is. Venue security is different than the Eagles own security team. That was the threat I was given by venue security at the HOTE show. If you keep using your phone *before the band even shows up*, Eagles security in the black shirts will come remove you. It was intimidation.

This has always been Henley's idea and his rule. His solo shows are run the same exact way. And clearly Glenn deferred to Don on this and was okay with it, but my guess is he would have been ok with a couple pictures and using your phone before the show even starts too. But if you look at the way Henley views technology and the internet in general, it's no wonder that it was him all along. His myopic view of that really will not do him any favors and as the years pass, it looks worse and worse and is less valid.

09-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Thanks for sharing that info, FF. The band's cell phone policies have, obviously, been controversial among fans. I'll leave it at that.

FreyFollower
02-17-2022, 01:41 PM
The band's Facebook page reports that Deacon will not be appearing at the opening of their tour on the 19th in Savannah due to illness. They state "Deacon's band mates will take over his tour duties in his absence. Deacon rejoining the band for performances will be based on his recovery and doctor's recommendations".
Wonder what they will do? Other dates 21,24, 25, 28th, etc.....

WalshFan88
02-17-2022, 07:21 PM
The band's Facebook page reports that Deacon will not be appearing at the opening of their tour on the 19th in Savannah due to illness. They state "Deacon's band mates will take over his tour duties in his absence. Deacon rejoining the band for performances will be based on his recovery and doctor's recommendations".
Wonder what they will do? Other dates 21,24, 25, 28th, etc.....

I'm sure they will just have Vince sing those songs that Deacon normally does. Which if it's a rocker like Already Gone, woof. lol He's not a rocker. He's a crooner. But if it's just one show I guess it won't matter. It matters none to me because I wouldn't go without Glenn regardless, but yeah I think they need Deacon to do those numbers. Personally I always thought it was strange having VG singing Heartache Tonight and Deacon singing PEF, but that's just me. The rest of the songs made sense on who to give them to. Deacon has a rockin' voice with some edge like his dad, with less of the smooth warm vocal thing his dad had. But for one show this isn't some crisis. Just give Vince a chance to memorize lyrics to those songs and you pretty much go on without much extra rehearsal or personnel change. They were lucky in that regard to have the two singers.

FreyFollower
02-22-2022, 09:29 AM
Reports are that Tim did Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Vince did Already Gone and Take it Easy. Oddly, they said that Deacon was not mentioned....and that Glenn's photo was not shown, nor was he referred to.

sodascouts
02-22-2022, 09:44 AM
If Glenn's photo is not being shown and he's not being mentioned, it seems like there's more going on than a temporary absence. That takes re-coordinating aspects of the show.

Did Don think people wouldn't want to look at a photo of Glenn if someone besides his son was singing? That's ridiculous. People would never be adverse to seeing an image of Glenn or at least hearing a shout out to him. These are Eagles fans! I think it's more likely he's hoping they can finally emerge from Glenn's shadow. Showing Glenn's image and giving him a shout out distracts from who is singing at the time. Perhaps Don doesn't want a split focus anymore. Let's not think about him right now.

If that's the case, then Deacon won't be back... and all that talk back in 2017 about how continuing the Eagles was only "justified" if there was with Frey "family blood" in the band was BS.

I guess we'll see.

FreyFollower
02-22-2022, 10:16 AM
Well, I agree. You'd think they would say something along the lines of "A big get well to Deacon; to sing one of his Dad's songs, here's Timothy!" and continue to show the photo.

02-22-2022, 12:02 PM
If Glenn's photo is not being shown and he's not being mentioned, it seems like there's more going on than a temporary absence. That takes re-coordinating aspects of the show.

Did Don think people wouldn't want to look at a photo of Glenn if someone besides his son was singing? That's ridiculous. People would never be adverse to seeing an image of Glenn or at least hearing a shout out to him. These are Eagles fans! I think it's more likely he's hoping they can finally emerge from Glenn's shadow. Showing Glenn's image and giving him a shout out distracts from who is singing at the time. Perhaps Don doesn't want a split focus anymore. Let's not think about him right now.

If that's the case, then Deacon won't be back... and all that talk back in 2017 about how continuing the Eagles was only "justified" if there was with Frey "family blood" in the band was BS.

I guess we'll see.

Hopefully, Deacon gets well soon. And, I've always believed all that talk back in 2017 about how continuing the Eagles was only "justified" if there was Frey "family blood" in the band has always been BS, so I wouldn't be at all shocked if they were to continue without Deacon.

chaim
02-23-2022, 04:48 PM
If Deacon was indeed sick I certainly would have expected him to be mentioned. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had a cautious, temporary "let's show respect for Glenn so no one gets angry" phase.

FreyFollower
02-23-2022, 05:24 PM
While many have suggested Covid, that doesn't seem likely to me. Young, healthy, and vaccinated people don't generally stay sick very long. I have worried about Glenn's kids, with both their parents having auto-immune disease. But the way they are handling this just makes me contemplate many scenarios that don't involve illness. :headscratch:

chaim
02-23-2022, 06:19 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Deacon was seen at a golf tournament during the weekend...

FreyFollower
02-23-2022, 06:36 PM
Even if one or more persons are unhappy, I see no reason to stop honoring the band's founder.

WalshFan88
02-23-2022, 06:36 PM
Boy this doesn't look good *at all*, folks.

If Deacon was at a golf tournament during the weekend, I think Soda could be very well right and frankly I am just without words when I hear about them removing Glenn's picture... But I will say I always thought the "need the Frey blood" thing was ridiculous BS on the part of Don. I just think that this is just so distasteful. But it's no surprise.

I have to be very honest, this possibility never crossed my mind when I read that the other day. I just took it at face value and thought how they'd get around DF being sick...

If they take away Glenn's picture, don't mention him, and certainly don't mention Deacon's absence in any regard - this is looking like what I said it was all along - a shameless money grab and a need for control of the band on the part of Don Henley. If Deacon wanted to stop playing with the guys, that's fine. Make a press release saying Deacon is moving on and we wish him well, etc. If Deacon was fired, be transparent about it. But still why get rid of Glenn Frey's picture?! You know, the leader of the band and co-founder. So, so wrong.

chaim
02-24-2022, 02:18 AM
Actually I saw it in a Facebook comment that there was a picture on his friend's Instagram page where Deacon could be seen at a golf tournament over the weekend. So it's not necesarily true. The information need to be verified.😄

chaim
02-24-2022, 02:36 AM
And even if he was at.a golf tournamed, maybe his doctor told him to not work, but not to stay home. 🤔

WalshFan88
02-24-2022, 05:34 PM
Actually I saw it in a Facebook comment that there was a picture on his friend's Instagram page where Deacon could be seen at a golf tournament over the weekend. So it's not necesarily true. The information need to be verified.😄

And even if he was at.a golf tournamed, maybe his doctor told him to not work, but not to stay home. 🤔

This is very true, but still why no mention of Deacon's absence and why on earth remove Glenn's picture and mentions of him? It is possible he's on vocal rest or something, but those other factors make it harder for me to believe. Even if he wasn't seen at a golf tournament, it doesn't add up here.

I smell a rat here...

chaim
02-24-2022, 06:03 PM
This is very true, but still why no mention of Deacon's absence and why on earth remove Glenn's picture and mentions of him? It is possible he's on vocal rest or something, but those other factors make it harder for me to believe. Even if he wasn't seen at a golf tournament, it doesn't add up here.

I smell a rat here...

It's weird, that's for sure.

FreyFollower
03-15-2022, 08:35 AM
https://www.rockhall.com/events/eagles-fan-day

Eagles fan day at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

On the same day as Cleveland concert. No word about Deacon returning, and that may be affecting sales. Still a lot of unsold tickets, $99-$1000 ea.

03-15-2022, 06:00 PM
Wow - The R&R HOF didn't publicize Eagles fan day very well, did they?

And, as far as Deacon, who knows what's going on. If he wants to walk away, I can certainly understand ... It must take a tremendous toll on him trying to fill his Dad's shoes - both personally and professionally.

WalshFan88
03-16-2022, 01:23 AM
Wow - The R&R HOF didn't publicize Eagles fan day very well, did they?

And, as far as Deacon, who knows what's going on. If he wants to walk away, I can certainly understand ... It must take a tremendous toll on him trying to fill his Dad's shoes - both personally and professionally.

Agreed.

I just wish the Eagles camp would stop being quiet and coy about it. And the fact they removed Glenn's picture. Are they pissed because Deacon left them high and dry, did they have a falling out, did he want to move on against the wishes of Don or the other guys, etc...who knows. But someone - either Deacon or the Eagles management needs to come clean and let the fans know one way or another. I know some people would only go to them now because Deacon was there. And who can blame them. Listening to Vince Gill attempt Eagles songs is painful IMO. But the people paying for the tickets deserve a press release/statement and transparency. If Deacon wants to move on I say go Deacon!

FreyFollower
03-16-2022, 11:21 PM
I wonder how many of the purchasers of the very expensive tickets realize that fully 25% of the show is now led with Vince Gill vocals. Surely tickets to a Vince Gill show are much cheaper, if that's what a person wants. In Deacon's absence, Vince leads 7 songs, Joe only 5, and Tim a paltry 2.

If Deacon is truly sick, it is certainly worrisome that it requires him to miss so much work. With many fans probably still expecting him to be there, why wouldn't they wish him well? I have read of folks saying that they were only interested if Deacon were in the shows. And eliminating any photos or mentions of Glenn just upsets people.

CAinOH
03-17-2022, 08:34 AM
I wonder how many of the purchasers of the very expensive tickets realize that fully 25% of the show is now led with Vince Gill vocals. Surely tickets to a Vince Gill show are much cheaper, if that's what a person wants.

Vince Gill did a concert here locally at a smaller venue. (Jackson Browne is scheduled to appear at the same venue in June.) The advertisements for the concert proclaimed "Vince Gill, now touring with the Eagles" as part of the commercial. Ticket price range was $23.50 to $72.

Here's the set list for that concert (no Eagles songs):
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/vince-gill/2019/rose-music-center-at-the-heights-huber-heights-oh-b9f0d22.html

03-17-2022, 10:42 AM
I wonder how many of the purchasers of the very expensive tickets realize that fully 25% of the show is now led with Vince Gill vocals. Surely tickets to a Vince Gill show are much cheaper, if that's what a person wants. In Deacon's absence, Vince leads 7 songs, Joe only 5, and Tim a paltry 2.

If Deacon is truly sick, it is certainly worrisome that it requires him to miss so much work. With many fans probably still expecting him to be there, why wouldn't they wish him well? I have read of folks saying that they were only interested if Deacon were in the shows. And eliminating any photos or mentions of Glenn just upsets people.

So many questions ... so few answers. As far as those who still are going to shows, I can't even pretend to understand if they even care who is on stage. I'm not judging, just saying that audiences today have different reasons for going to concerts than they used to. :confused:

New Kid In Town
03-17-2022, 06:31 PM
So many questions ... so few answers. As far as those who still are going to shows, I can't even pretend to understand if they even care who is on stage. I'm not judging, just saying that audiences today have different reasons for going to concerts than they used to. :confused:

Hi everyone. I was on the Eagles Appreciation FB Page today to check it out. Many, many comments on this. It seemed to be about 50/50 in thinking Deacon is sick. Some think he is just tired of touring, playing with the band and wants to do other things. Others think there was a dispute with Don over money and how much Deacon should be paid. The all pointed out the Instagram post by Deacon's friend with him playing golf. There does not seem to be any info other than the statement put out by Don. Someone on the FB page stated they checked the Eagles website and all mentions of Deacon had been removed. Sad about not showing Glenn's picture but why would they when they don't need the connection or tug-at-your-heart pictures they would post with Deacon in the band. I think there is more to this than we all know. The connection with Glenn ended after Don broke his word and brought the band back again.

WalshFan88
03-18-2022, 06:39 PM
If they are now removing references to Deacon, are people who know the latest developments seriously still buying the BS about DF being sick?! Gullible.

It's over, folks! Not the 3.0 band of course, just having the blood that they said they couldn't do it without and that all of the pro-3.0 crowd said made the continuance of the band okay.

Shameful...

WalshFan88
03-18-2022, 06:41 PM

That was my thought from the beginning and my take on that wasn't well received by those who were in support of Don and Co touring as the Eagles.

It's certainly true now though. It's not a judgment, it's just the sad reality of the situation.

chaim
03-19-2022, 06:42 PM
If they are now removing references to Deacon, are people who know the latest developments seriously still buying the BS about DF being sick?! Gullible.

It's over, folks! Not the 3.0 band of course, just having the blood that they said they couldn't do it without and that all of the pro-3.0 crowd said made the continuance of the band okay.

Shameful...

I don't wish to say negative stuff in this thread too much, but there's a similar thing going on with Kiss, which, of course, is a band I love. I realize that lots of people disagree with me and this is only how I feel, but IMO both bands are going through a situation where there's been a huge change and people keep, IMHO, changing their standars. Kiss fans were with Paul and Gene when they bashed artists who lip-sync. Well, when Paul started lip-syncing, it was suddenly acceptable, because it's "about the "show". Tommy and Eric wearing Ace's and Peter's makeup became an ok thing, because suddenly it wasn't about Ace and Peter anymore. It was about the spaceman and the catman.

With the Eagles this situation was acceptable because Deacon was there. If he's not anymore, will there be a new reason that makes it ok?