PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: Eagles Live Album

Ive always been a dreamer
02-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Time for the Eagles Live Album Survivor, where we vote off the song performances on the album until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list all the songs performed on the album here. Vote for the performance that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song performance that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more performance will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner is …

TAKE IT EASY!!!

Performances Eliminated:
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
I Can't Tell You Why 2/12
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
Life in the Fast Lane 2/18
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22
Hotel California 2/24
Wasted Time 2/26
Take It to the Limit 2/28
New Kid in Town 3/02
Heartache Tonight 3/04

Thanks for playing and hope everyone enjoyed the game.

WalshFan88
02-06-2019, 11:04 PM
I vote for Saturday Night.

sodascouts
02-07-2019, 12:03 AM
I think we should get rid of the Joe solo songs. "All Night Long" is fun and energetic, but musically, it doesn't really have much going for it. Plus, it's not a real Eagles song.

I vote for All Night Long.

Glennsallnighter
02-07-2019, 07:10 AM
I've listened to the album again over the last few days mainly to get a feel for these songs live again. I vote for 'I Can't Tell you Why' because its not that I don't like it but I just feel it doesn't really deviate in the live version compared to the studio version.

New Kid In Town
02-07-2019, 07:21 AM
I vote for All Night Long.

takeiteasy
02-07-2019, 07:43 AM
I vote for All Night Long

East Texas Girl
02-07-2019, 02:10 PM
I vote for I Can't Tell You Why.

shunlvswx
02-07-2019, 02:13 PM
I vote ​All Night Long.

Brooke
02-07-2019, 02:17 PM
I agree with Soda and vote for All Night Long.

sodascouts
02-07-2019, 06:55 PM
I vote for 'I Can't Tell you Why' because its not that I don't like it but I just feel it doesn't really deviate in the live version compared to the studio version.

True, but do the others? I know he says "Southern California" instead of "Winslow, Arizona" for "Take It Easy"....

WalshFan88
02-07-2019, 07:09 PM
I'm ok with All Night Long being eliminated. It's never been a favorite of mine as far as Joe's music.

However just a PSA, I'm already preparing my master plan for saving "Life's Been Good" when the time comes. :lol: It's so much better than the version on BSF IMO. Sorry Soda. :grin:

sodascouts
02-08-2019, 12:41 AM
I'm ok with All Night Long being eliminated. It's never been a favorite of mine as far as Joe's music.

However just a PSA, I'm already preparing my master plan for saving "Life's Been Good" when the time comes. :lol: It's so much better than the version on BSF IMO. Sorry Soda. :grin:

Yeah - I'm trying to figure out my strategy for that one, too. Last time it didn't go so well for me!

groupie2686
02-08-2019, 10:32 AM
I vote for All Night Long

02-08-2019, 01:33 PM
I think most of the performances on the album are pretty close to the studio versions of the songs. The exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are The Long Run (extended guitar and sax solos), Life's Been Good (different arrangement altogether), and Take It Easy (extended guitar solos). I, personally, love these versions of the three songs.

And Soda, it'll be interesting to see what new strategy you'll deploy to try to get Life's Been Good voted off early. As usual, I'm with Austin - I hope the song lasts for a long time in the game. Like he said, the Eagles' arrangement of this song is awesome live, and this version, in particular, is far superior than Joe's original solo version. The Eagles own this song!

Anyway, there is no way I'm ready to vote for the gorgeous ICTYW at this point. But, I am also okay with All Night Long being voted off first. However, I'm going to vote strategically for my next least favorite performance ...

I cast my vote for Saturday Night.

CAinOH
02-08-2019, 06:42 PM
All Night Long or Saturday Night?

Austin says it's okay, so I'll go with All Night Long.

scottside
02-08-2019, 07:09 PM
I was hoping to get the chance to listen to this whole album before the game began, but since I didn't, I'll have to rely on my memory. ALL NIGHT LONG, it is, but there are a few others that I would've felt equally comfortable choosing. Unfortunately, since this one is going to go down, it would've made no sense for me to choose otherwise.

02-08-2019, 09:08 PM
The first performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is All Night Long. "All Night Long" we love a longneck and a good ole song, but the tribe has spoken. You just weren’t able to take care of business and get the job done. You don’t have all night long, so please put a pinch between your cheek and gum and head off the island quickly.

Votes
All Night Long – 8
Saturday Night – 2
I Can't Tell You Why – 2

Vote Breakdown
All Night Long – sodascouts
All Night Long – New Kid In Town
All Night Long – takeiteasy
All Night Long – shunlvswx
All Night Long – Brooke
All Night Long – groupie2686
All Night Long – CainOH
All Night Long – scottside
Saturday Night – WalshFan88
Saturday Night – Ive always been a dreamer
I Can't Tell You Why – Glennsallnighter
I Can't Tell You Why – East Texas Girl

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
I Can't Tell You Why
The Long Run
New Kid in Town
Life's Been Good
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Saturday Night
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

takeiteasy
02-08-2019, 09:27 PM
I vote for Life's Been Good

sodascouts
02-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Well, I'm going to test the waters of this....

Can we go ahead and get rid of the other solo song?

I vote for Life's Been Good!

02-08-2019, 11:17 PM
I sure hope not, Soda. First off, considering that we are voting on the performance of the song, IMO, this is one of the finest. most energetic performances on the album. And then, but, seriously folks (pun intended), calling this a solo song is a mere technicality. The song was released in 1978 and was immediately rearranged and inserted into the Eagles' set list, where it has remained ever since. So, the majority of fans associate the song with the Eagles. And, let's be honest, it's no accident that the song became Joe's biggest hit. It would have never been as successful had it not been for the exposure that it got because Joe's was in the Eagles. It has now become one of rock 'n roll's most famous anthems. So let's give this song the respect it deserves - even if you don't love it, it was and is one of the band's biggest crowd-pleasers in their live performances.

WalshFan88
02-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Well said Dreamer. LBG is my favorite thing Joe ever did, and the Eagles version is just an amazing performance. I'm gonna hold my vote for a little while until I can make a strategic decision.

sodascouts
02-09-2019, 12:00 AM
Well said Dreamer. LBG is my favorite thing Joe ever did, and the Eagles version is just an amazing performance. I'm gonna hold my vote for a little while until I can make a strategic decision.

It is a crowd pleaser live, but a lot of that seems to be based on Joe's personality and his comedic chops more than its musical virtues. The song is literally a joke, or more accurately, a series of jokes.

scottside
02-09-2019, 12:12 AM
LIFE'S BEEN GOOD.

WalshFan88
02-09-2019, 12:51 AM
It is a crowd pleaser live, but a lot of that seems to be based on Joe's personality and his comedic chops more than its musical virtues. The song is literally a joke, or more accurately, a series of jokes.

I guess I just don't look for deep lyrical meaning in music. I know I've shared a lot of it elsewhere on the board, but I like feel good, funny, party, upbeat, etc songs. To me that's just my style. I don't require much depth, after all I like Poison and KISS, so there you go. To me it's a great song and I could name 3 or so at least I'd like to see go before it. The fact it's a solo song doesn't bother me so much. It's much better as a band song, and I think an Eagles show without playing LBG is a travesty. Thankfully, they played it both times I saw them. I heard Joe play it solo live, nowhere near as good. It's a fun song, and I like that.

New Kid In Town
02-09-2019, 10:26 AM

02-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Me too, NKIT. Let's not let LBG go down yet. I don't think the lyrics are silly, I think they are funny and clever. But, the bottom line is the song is included on the 'Live' album and we are supposed to be judging the performances, not the songs. So, although Saturday Night is a lovely song, Life's Been Good is a far more engaging, fun, and energetic live performance.

WalshFan88
02-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Please help save Life's Been Good by voting for Saturday Night!

takeiteasy
02-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Ehh you shouldn't can tell the others what they must vote!...or should you? 😳

CAinOH
02-09-2019, 06:02 PM

Oh, you haven't been part of a Survivor contest before, have you? ;) There's a lot of vote lobbying going on during the contest. All in jest, mind you... maybe. :spin:

thelastresort
02-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Life's Been Good.

WalshFan88
02-10-2019, 12:03 AM

If you're new to these games (as it seems), I recommend looking for an old Survivor thread and reading the pages to get an idea for how they go. Lobbying and coalitions are all a big part of this game.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, just asking that they join my coalition to save what I consider the better song, Life's Been Good.

WalshFan88
02-10-2019, 12:11 AM
Me too, NKIT. Let's not let LBG go down yet. I don't think the lyrics are silly, I think they are funny and clever. But, the bottom line is the song is included on the 'Live' album and we are supposed to be judging the performances, not the songs. So, although Saturday Night is a lovely song, Life's Been Good is a far more engaging, fun, and energetic live performance.

Well said Dreamer!

I have never ever cared for "Saturday Night". IMO it's just not all that special. Hearing on the HOTE tour had to be one of the most boring moments of that show. I really don't care for the Desperado album at all (my least favorite and IMO worst of their 70s work) and there was a bit too much of that in HOTE, probably because of the return of Bernie Leadon. Still, they did enough of the other stuff to make it ok.

Speaking on performance alone - LBG packs so much more entertainment and performance than SN. I'll take fun lighthearted silly songs over Desperado-era tracks with more lyricism any day of the week. My fun rocker side poking through I suppose. I've never been a deep tracks guy either - I like radio hits. I feel that the reason they are deep tracks is because they weren't as good as the hits, but that's just my opinion.

I never listen to the version of LBG on the original album anymore. It's Eagles Live for me. The combo of Walsh and Felder doing lead solos on that, plus band vocals and vibe just make it way better IMO.

takeiteasy
02-10-2019, 08:45 AM
If you're new to these games (as it seems), I recommend looking for an old Survivor thread and reading the pages to get an idea for how they go. Lobbying and coalitions are all a big part of this game.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, just asking that they join my coalition to save what I consider the better song, Life's Been Good.

It seems that this time my irony didn't work properly... :huh: :hmm:

New Kid In Town
02-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Hi Austin - I agree with Dreamer. I love LBG too - it is a cute, silly song and that's all it is supposed to be. And, I think Joe's version with the Eagles is far better than the solo version on his album. I also think his version of RMW with the Eagles is better than his solo version. Save LBG please !

shunlvswx
02-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Remembered everybody. In the rules, it says we are voting for the song performance not if you don’t like the song or it doesn't belong.

I'm joining Austin and voting for Saturday Night. I like Life's Been Good on the album. Joe naming his bandmates is my favorite which he still does today.

LovinGlennGirl
02-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Voting for I Can't Tell You Why

CAinOH
02-10-2019, 01:41 PM
I like Saturday Night, but Life's Been Good is a better "concert song."

I vote Saturday Night.

02-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Remembered everybody. In the rules, it says we are voting for the song performance not if you don’t like the song or it doesn't belong.

Exactly shun. And up to this point, I haven't seen any arguments from anyone that claim Saturday Night is a better performance than Life's Been Good. The vote this round is extremely close, so I would make a plea to the remaining voters to align together and ...

SAVE LIFE'S BEEN GOOD!!!

VOTE FOR SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

sodascouts
02-10-2019, 03:14 PM

That's true and I appreciate the reminder. However, the rules also say "Do not criticize how/why other people vote."

This is Eagles survivor, and while I am certainly going to keep in mind the live performance aspect as this is the Live album, I first want to get rid of the Joe solo songs. That's my logic. You don't have to agree with my logic and I totally understand why you wouldn't, but in my mind, it's a valid reason to vote for them.

You know, thinking of what was said earlier about lyrics, one thing that I really appreciate about Saturday Night is its evocative imagery and clever phrasing:

"The moon burned so bright and the time went so slow."

"The bluebird was high on the wing."

"Now there's boards on the window and dust on the floor."

"She passes her time at another man's side... and I pass the time with my pride."

"Somebody show me how to tell the dancer from the dance."

Word pictures, imagery, symbolism, clever phrasing.... and they're so young when they're writing this. Mature beyond their years.

I really feel like you can hear this come through in their PERFORMANCE on the Live album. Seriously, Don's sensitive lead vocal really sells it, with just the right amount of harmony.

SAVE SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

VOTE FOR LIFE'S BEEN GOOD!!!

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2019, 06:41 PM
I've read both Soda and Dreamers pleas to save each song. Its close but my heart is moving in favour of Saturday night. I was so thrilled when they included it i the History tour. So in This round I will rather reluctantly vote off Lifes Been Good

Delilah
02-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Well if I may, I’m going to jump in here in the 11th hour. It looks like it’s down to 2 songs.

I love “Saturday Night”; it’s a beautiful song. This live version is kind of tame though. I wonder why the band added this to their setlist for this tour? It seems out of place for what they were doing at the time. Maybe Henley wanted a break from the drums. Anyway, the mandolin part is lovely (a studio overdub I wonder?) but this version is no match for the live BBC performance which is excellent. I prefer to compare live versions to live, not live to studio (although it can be argued this IS a quasi-studio album :mrgreen:).

So is there an official live version of LBG by solo Joe? I think not but if anyone knows of one, I would love be to hear it.

While LBG has been a very important part of the Eagles setlist for decades, I don’t find this version all that exceptional in its energy or excitement. The drums are excellent, but is it Henley or Joe Vitale? I can’t tell from the credits listed on YT. The bass-horn sound isnt appealing here.

Still deciding...maybe I’ll just wait it out.

ETA: this is my 3001st post!

New Kid In Town
02-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Delilah - CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 3001 POST !

GA - HAPPY BORDER ANNIVERSARY TO YOU !

I don't know who is playing the drums, but Joe Vitale did the entire LR Tour.
Delilah, I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but Saturday Night does seem like an odd song to include on the album. As you state, it does not fit in with the rest of the songs or the music they were doing then. That BBC version of SN is beautiful, much better than on this album.

Delilah
02-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Thank you, NKIT!

I listened to LBG again and I keep thinking that’s not Henley on drums, and that doesn’t sit well with me. It should be an Eagles performance through and through. I don’t mind a sax part thrown in or some other instrument not normally covered by an Eagle but this is different. Maybe I’m wrong about the drums. At any rate, it may be time to use some strategy.

Somewhat reluctantly, my vote goes to Life’s Been Good.

And congrats from me too, Glennsallnighter!

02-10-2019, 09:11 PM
In a real nail-biter, the next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Life's Been Good. “Life's Been Good" the tribe has spoken and it looks like we no longer think you're cool. You should have recognized the clues at the scene of the crime. It is time to get in your Maserati and head to your mansion. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Life’s Been Good – 6
Saturday Night – 5
I Can't Tell You Why – 1

Vote Breakdown
Life’s Been Good – takeiteasy
Life’s Been Good – sodascouts
Life’s Been Good – scottside
Life’s Been Good – thelastresort
Life’s Been Good – Glennsallnighter
Life's Been Good – Delilah
Saturday Night – New Kid In Town
Saturday Night – shunlvswx
Saturday Night – CainOH
I Can't Tell You Why – LovinGlennGirl

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
I Can't Tell You Why
The Long Run
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Saturday Night
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Well there goes my favorite! :( An Eagles show isn't an Eagles show without Life's Been Good. It's more of a band song now. If I had went and not heard it, I'd be very upset.

Please vote for "Saturday Night". It's an incredibly boring song, and that transfers to this live performance. As a side note, I think the Desperado album is the weakest link in their catalog, personally. Not a fan.

I cast my vote, once again, for Saturday Night!

scottside
02-10-2019, 11:19 PM
I vote for SATURDAY NIGHT.

New Kid In Town
02-11-2019, 12:14 AM
I happen to like the song but I agree with Delilah that the 1973 BBC version is better than this one.

sodascouts
02-11-2019, 12:47 AM
I listened to LBG again and I keep thinking that’s not Henley on drums, and that doesn’t sit well with me. It should be an Eagles performance through and through. I don’t mind a sax part thrown in or some other instrument not normally covered by an Eagle but this is different. Maybe I’m wrong about the drums. At any rate, it may be time to use some strategy.

Interesting! It never even occurred to me that he wouldn't be playing drums on all the songs! What makes you think it's not him?

And congrats on hitting 3000!

sodascouts
02-11-2019, 12:49 AM
I can't believe LBG is gone this early! WOOT!!!

Now, what do I vote for next? lol! I've got some thinking to do!

Brooke
02-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Well darn, I missed the last round. I usually don't make it here over the weekend, so.....

As far as which song to vote for, I have always loved LBG and SN. How to choose there. I agreed with Soda on ANL, but not so sure on LBG! I love that song! Joe is a hoot on it! I also love Henley's smoky voice on SN. I guess it doesn't matter now as LBG is gone. :sad:

I'll have to think on this one!

And congrats to Ga and Delilah for hitting those milestones!

takeiteasy
02-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Desperado

thelastresort
02-11-2019, 05:14 PM
... The drums are excellent, but is it Henley or Joe Vitale? I can’t tell from the credits listed on YT.

The first part of that sentence should give some indication as to the second ;) I believe (with nothing to qualify it) that Henley drummed on everything and Vitale dealt with everything from drums, percussion, keyboard, synths and flute depending on the song. Funk 50 posted a list of Vitale's annotated setlist from that tour, I will have a look for it. An awful shame he never joined them in their Reunion era.

----------

I will vote for Take It Easy, for the simple reason their changing of the second verse is heathen.

East Texas Girl
02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Well, I missed the last round too, Brooke. I am usually not around on the weekends either.

I cast my vote for I Can't Tell You Why.

sodascouts
02-11-2019, 06:26 PM
I will vote for Take It Easy, for the simple reason their changing of the second verse is heathen.

Oh, you don't like that? I find it charming! It always makes me smile when I heard the crowd cheer at "Southern California."

WalshFan88
02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Oh, you don't like that? I find it charming! It always makes me smile when I heard the crowd cheer at "Southern California."

I'm with you on that.

I also like the other changes over the years. "Just a little hard to find", etc.

thelastresort
02-11-2019, 07:00 PM

No, I genuinely abhor it. No problem with Joe changing how he spent the last year in RMW, Glenn's play on the start of PEF, or his other changes in TIE; I can even overlook Henley bottling his 'god damn' in Life in the Fast Lane. But to fiddle with such an iconic lyric, one of the defining lines of an entire era of music and a sentence that catapulted an unremarkable wayside town to international fame for a cheap cheer is a disgrace. My hometown over on this side of the Atlantic has a similar honour courtesy of the Beatles and I would hate for my town's claim to fame to be disregarded a pointless shout out.

sodascouts
02-11-2019, 10:26 PM
I'm sure the residents of Winslow would agree!

I've decided on my vote. ICTYW is fine here, but nothing really makes it a standout performance.

I cast my vote for I Can't Tell You Why.

02-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Well darn, I missed the last round. I usually don't make it here over the weekend, so.....

As far as which song to vote for, I have always loved LBG and SN. How to choose there. I agreed with Soda on ANL, but not so sure on LBG! I love that song! Joe is a hoot on it! I also love Henley's smoky voice on SN. I guess it doesn't matter now as LBG is gone. :sad:

I know, Brooke - I'm still reeling in disbelief that LBG was eliminated so early. I have to admit, I thought about you over the weekend because I knew you probably wouldn't be able to vote and all we needed to save it was a tie. But it was not to be. Oh well, I guess we can take solace in the fact that it has never been eliminated as quickly in any of the other Survivor games. I prefer to think of it as a one-time fluke. :laugh:

Anyway, the game goes on. As far as changing lines in songs in live performances, I certainly don't think the band means any disrespect by doing it. Actually, I think the reason it works so well with a live audience in Take It Easy is because that line is so iconic. Most of the audience is either singing the line correctly and are caught by surprise or either stop singing and listen to see if Glenn would change the lyrics. But, the bottom line is everyone there knows that the line is Winslow, Arizona, so it brings more attention to it. JMHO

Now, it's time to take care of business. I am going to continue to vote for my least favorite remaining performance - I like the song at lot, but I really don't see anything particularly special or inspiring about the performance, so ...

groupie2686
02-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Darn, I missed a round too! I vote for I Can't Tell You Why. I like the song, but there's nothing unique about this performance.

Brooke
02-12-2019, 05:17 PM
I know, Brooke - I'm still reeling in disbelief that LBG was eliminated so early. I have to admit, I thought about you over the weekend because I knew you probably wouldn't be able to vote and all we needed to save it was a tie. But it was not to be. Oh well, I guess we can take solace in the fact that it has never been eliminated as quickly in any of the other Survivor games. I prefer to think of it as a one-time fluke. :laugh:

Anyway, the game goes on. As far as changing lines in songs in live performances, I certainly don't think the band means any disrespect by doing it. Actually, I think the reason it works so well with a live audience in Take It Easy is because that line is so iconic. Most of the audience is either singing the line correctly and are caught by surprise or either stop singing and listen to see if Glenn would change the lyrics. But, the bottom line is everyone there knows that the line is Winslow, Arizona, so it brings more attention to it. JMHO

Now, it's time to take care of business. I am going to continue to vote for my least favorite remaining performance - I like the song at lot, but I really don't see anything particularly special or inspiring about the performance, so ...

Oh dreamer, I wish you would have called or texted me! Oh well......

And TIE is my all-time favorite Eagles song (always has been) and it doesn't bother me one bit that they changed that part! I don't care, I know how it really goes! I think it makes a concert a little bit 'yours' when they do stuff like that! Definitely not a reason for me to vote against it!

So, I really love Saturday Night and have never really cared all that much for ICTYW and this performance is nothing special, so it gets my vote. I Can't Tell You Why

CAinOH
02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
I just realized I will not be online until much, much later, so I better vote now. (We also lost power here at work, so my laptop is running on battery.)

I voted for Saturday night to try to save Life's Been Good. But ever since this contest started, that song (SN) has been playing in my head constantly. So, I'm not quite ready to vote for it yet.

Since the other choice seems to be ICTYW, my vote is for I Can't Tell You Why.

And, the battery lights at the office are about to click off in ten minutes or so, so I am going to pack up my laptop and go home...

Delilah
02-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Interesting! It never even occurred to me that he wouldn't be playing drums on all the songs! What makes you think it's not him?

And congrats on hitting 3000!

Thank you, Soda!

IDK but when I was listening to this the other day I noticed how much I liked the drum sound and it occurred to me it seemed un-Henley like in a “loose” but hard-hitting kind of way. When I looked at the credits he was not listed. :stunned: Of course it may just be an error and I could be way off-base. I’m certainly no drum expert.

I have never questioned whether he plays on the Eagles songs, just this one.

The first part of that sentence should give some indication as to the second ;) I believe (with nothing to qualify it) that Henley drummed on everything and Vitale dealt with everything from drums, percussion, keyboard, synths and flute depending on the song. Funk 50 posted a list of Vitale's annotated setlist from that tour, I will have a look for it. An awful shame he never joined them in their Reunion era.

That would make sense and that setlist sounds like it could clear things up. Also, I wonder if anyone here saw this tour and remembers who played the drums on this song.

Delilah
02-12-2019, 06:08 PM

shunlvswx
02-12-2019, 06:14 PM
I think Don played drums on majority of the songs (except a small few) in concert in the 70s.

I’m going to vote for I Can’t Tell You Why.

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2019, 07:12 PM
I deviated from ICTYW last round in an effort to save Saturday Night which obviously worked, so this round as the two songs seem up against each other I will vote off 'I can't Tell you Why'

LovinGlennGirl
02-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Voting for I Can't Tell You Why

02-12-2019, 09:03 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is I Can’t Tell You Why. “I Can’t Tell You Why” the tribe has spoken and nothing was wrong as far as we could see. We made it harder than it had to be and we can’t tell you why. But you can’t turn around and stay, so please walk away and leave the island immediately.

Votes
I Can't Tell You Why – 8
Saturday Night – 5
Desperado – 1
Take It Easy – 1

Vote Breakdown
I Can't Tell You Why – East Texas Girl
I Can't Tell You Why – sodascouts
I Can’t Tell You Why – groupie2686
I Can't Tell You Why – Brooke
I Can’t Tell You Why – CainOH
I Can’t Tell You Why – shunlvswx
I Can’t Tell You Why – Glennsallnighter
I Can’t Tell You Why – LovinGlennGirl
Saturday Night – scottside
Saturday Night – New Kid In Town
Saturday Night – Delilah
Desperado – takeiteasy
Take It Easy – thelastresort

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Saturday Night
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Hopefully, for the last time:

I'm flabbergasted it's lasted this long. It's a real shame ICTYW went in it's place.

scottside
02-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Saturday Night

New Kid In Town
02-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Thank you, Soda!

IDK but when I was listening to this the other day I noticed how much I liked the drum sound and it occurred to me it seemed un-Henley like in a “loose” but hard-hitting kind of way. When I looked at the credits he was not listed. :stunned: Of course it may just be an error and I could be way off-base. I’m certainly no drum expert.

I have never questioned whether he plays on the Eagles songs, just this one.

That would make sense and that setlist sounds like it could clear things up. Also, I wonder if anyone here saw this tour and remembers who played the drums on this song.

I saw the LR Tour but can not remember who played drums but I am pretty sure Don did at Giant Stadium where I saw them.

groupie2686
02-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Sadly I think it's time for Saturday Night...I love this song and the lyrics, but I agree with others that there isn't anything all that remarkable about this particular version.

takeiteasy
02-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Both of us are Border Desperados and unfortunately only one can remain so...
I vote for Desperado

02-14-2019, 12:36 PM
So sorry that Joe or Tim didn't get any love in this game. I think ICTYW is gorgeous, but my power of persuasion doesn't seem to be working too well lately. :grin:

But, I will continue to attempt to contribute to the demise of Saturday Night. As I've said, I love the song, and I'm pretty easy because I don't really think there is any such thing as a bad Eagles performance. However, in comparison, I don't think this performance is inspiring as the others so ...

Brooke
02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
I guess it's time....I vote for Saturday Night. (But I still love the song!) :smile:

shunlvswx
02-14-2019, 05:05 PM
I'm voting for Saturday Night.

East Texas Girl
02-14-2019, 05:32 PM
I'll go with everyone else and vote for Saturday Night. I like it as well, but you have to pick one...

sodascouts
02-14-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and say Life in the Fast Lane. It's never to early for strategic voting!

CAinOH
02-14-2019, 06:39 PM
My "brain jukebox" has changed from Saturday Night to something else. (I'm not exactly sure that Party Town is an appropriate Valentine's Day song, though.) However that may be, I vote for Saturday Night.

Glennsallnighter
02-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Looking at this list they are all strong, heavy hitters. Saturday Night is definitely the weakest of them but its inevitable that it will go down this round anyway. And while I was happy to save it a few rounds ago its elimination now is probably justified. In saying that no point in tying my colours to a ship that has pretty much sunk, so this round I will vote off Wasted Time

Delilah
02-14-2019, 07:55 PM
I’ve been giving these songs a fresh listen. And it’s interesting to note some things I haven’t noticed before as well as recalling other familiar details, both good and bad.

I am reluctant to start voting off the ballads like Wasted Time and Desperado, b/c the string section and piano parts are so lovely yet it would seem difficult to pull off in a large rock concert setting.

So with Saturday Night already going down, I decided to vote off Life in the Fast Lane. I am not crazy about the bass sound and something that has bothered me about this version is how Timothy pronounces “Lane” It sounds like he says “lean” instead, probably due to his California accent. “Life in the fast lean” ​just doesn’t have the same bite.

02-14-2019, 09:01 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Saturday Night. “Saturday Night” the tribe has spoken and what a tangled web we weaved. We didn't choose you, friend, so you lose this fight. Whatever happened, there is no time to pass, so swallow your pride and find your way off the island immediately.

Votes
Saturday Night – 8
Life in the Fast Lane – 2
Desperado – 1
Wasted Time – 1

Vote Breakdown
Saturday Night – scottside
Saturday Night – groupie2686
Saturday Night – Brooke
Saturday Night – shunlvswx
Saturday Night – East Texas Girl
Saturday Night – CainOH
Life in the Fast Lane – sodascouts
Life in the Fast Lane – Delilah
Desperado – takeiteasy
Wasted Time – Glennsallnighter

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-14-2019, 09:07 PM
I vote for “Desperado”.

cosec3791
02-15-2019, 04:09 AM
Hey all!!

I was busy with exams and school work, so I couldn't really check the forum for quite a while. Happy really belated new year's to all!

Anyways, Eagles Live..... ugh.

One of my least favorite albums, mainly due to the ridiculous overdubbing. Many of these performances are rather questionable. Nevertheless, I'm joining. I have listened to the following bootlegs (Oct. 22nd 1976 at The Forum, and July 29th 1980 at Santa Monica and July 31st at Long Beach) and I'll keep those in mind while voting.

For this round, I'm going to vote for Seven Bridges Road. An extremely unpopular opinion.

It's obviously due to the terribly shady overdubbing which Freypower and me went on in detail in a Survivor for non album songs.

New Kid In Town
02-15-2019, 09:43 AM
I vote for The Long Run.

sodascouts
02-15-2019, 11:29 AM
I am reluctant to start voting off the ballads like Wasted Time and Desperado, b/c the string section and piano parts are so lovely yet it would seem difficult to pull off in a large rock concert setting.

Agreed. I feel like the ballads are going first because we don't think of them as being these high-energy live pieces, but when you think about the live orchestral arrangement they managed, and how effective it is... that's impressive.

takeiteasy
02-15-2019, 06:24 PM
I’ve been giving these songs a fresh listen. And it’s interesting to note some things I haven’t noticed before as well as recalling other familiar details, both good and bad.

So with Saturday Night already going down, I decided to vote off Life in the Fast Lane. I am not crazy about the bass sound and something that has bothered me about this version is how Timothy pronounces “Lane” It sounds like he says “lean” instead, probably due to his California accent. “Life in the fast lean” ​just doesn’t have the same bite.

"Life in the fast lean" :lol:
Yep, these guys were living their "fast lean"
I wish I could live my fast lean too... :cuss:

By the way, I vote desperately for Desperado

02-16-2019, 11:43 AM
I agree with what Delilah and Soda said about the ballads being voted off. I absolutely adore Wasted Time with the orchestra and I just love the song period. The piano and Don's vocals in Desperado are always gorgeous, but, they have been closing their shows with pretty much the same arrangement of the song for what seems like forever. Unfortunately, I've grown a little tired of it, so it's my next choice to go.

I cast my vote for Desperado.

scottside
02-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Desperado

Delilah
02-16-2019, 02:20 PM
“Life in the Fast Lane” is the only song on the album that comes from the infamous Long Night at Wrong Beach concert. According to setlist.com, it was the 5th to last song so the tensions were probably building up by the then.

It’s cursed I tell you, CURSED! :twisted:

I vote for Life in the Fast Lane.

groupie2686
02-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Life in the Fast Lane

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Again I will voet Wasted Time off

CAinOH
02-16-2019, 05:02 PM
No, no, no... way too soon for Desperado!

I'll vote for Life In The Fast Lane.

Desperada
02-16-2019, 05:46 PM
I vote Wasted Time

02-16-2019, 09:00 PM
In a squeaker, the next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Desperado. “Desperado” the tribe has spoken and you know that we’ve got our reasons. We told you that the queen of diamonds would beat you if she's able, but you decided to draw her anyway. So now, open the gate and let your pain and your hunger drive you off the island immediately.

Votes
Desperado – 4
Life in the Fast Lane – 3
Wasted Time – 2
Seven Bridges Road – 1
The Long Run – 1

Vote Breakdown
Desperado – WalshFan88
Desperado – takeiteasy
Desperado – Ive always been a dreamer
Desperado – scottside
Life in the Fast Lane – groupie2686
Life in the Fast Lane – CainOH
Wasted Time – Desperada
Seven Bridges Road – cosec3791
The Long Run – New Kid In Town

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 6 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-16-2019, 09:04 PM
I vote for Wasted Time.

CAinOH
02-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Well, dang it. I shall go sulk for a while...

sodascouts
02-16-2019, 09:45 PM
Man, the ballads are just being picked off! And it's partially my fault - I thought I voted but I just commented. That is the mistake of an amateur. SHAME NANCY SHAME.

Well, that won't happen again.

I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane!

takeiteasy
02-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Goodbye Desperado!
See you on the border! :bye:

I vote for Seven Bridges Road

takeiteasy
02-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Man, the ballads are just being picked off! And it's partially my fault - I thought I voted but I just commented. That is the mistake of an amateur. SHAME NANCY SHAME.

Well, that won't happen again.

I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane!

You are getting old Nancy! :lol:

sodascouts
02-18-2019, 12:45 AM
You are getting old Nancy! :lol:

Harsh! lol

New Kid In Town
02-18-2019, 07:38 AM
I vote for The Long Run.

groupie2686
02-18-2019, 10:10 AM
It is a shame the ballads are going so early...Wasted Time live is so beautiful. I vote for Life in the Fast Lane

scottside
02-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Life In The Fast Lane. This isn't my favorite version of it.

shunlvswx
02-18-2019, 01:54 PM
I don't know how I missed last round. I might could had saved Desperado.

I love Wasted Time so, but I'm voting for Life IN The Fast Lane.

CAinOH
02-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Still sulking... but I'll vote for Life in the Fast Lane.

Delilah
02-18-2019, 03:26 PM
I vote for Life in the Fast Lane.​

02-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Well - I'm at the point where I don't want to vote off any of these songs. But, that's not the way the game works, so I'm going to look toward the future and vote strategically ...

I cast my vote for Seven Bridges Road.

02-18-2019, 09:08 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Life in the Fast Lane. “Life in the Fast Lane” the tribe has spoken and our decision will surely make you lose your mind. We know you are caught up in the race, but you can’t pretend not to notice. There are no stop signs, so get rushin’ down the freeway and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Life in the Fast Lane – 6
Seven Bridges Road – 2
Wasted Time – 1
The Long Run – 1

Vote Breakdown
Life in the Fast Lane – sodascouts
Life in the Fast Lane – groupie2686
Life in the Fast Lane – scottside
Life in the Fast Lane – shunlvswx
Life in the Fast Lane – CainOH
Seven Bridges Road – takeiteasy
Seven Bridges Road – Ive always been a dreamer
Wasted Time – WalshFan88

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 7 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-18-2019, 09:13 PM
A real shame that LITFL left.

Let's save the rockers and get rid of the soft stuff, please! :D

I vote again for Wasted Time​.

sodascouts
02-18-2019, 11:31 PM
I'm surprised "Seven Bridges Road" is getting votes. Is it because of the dubbing controversy?

sodascouts
02-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Anyway, I think I'll scandalize everyone, but...

I cast my vote for Hotel California.

The guitar solos are always epic live, of course, but I don't think the performance here is a standout one. Compare that to something like "The Long Run," where you have a fun horn aspect added, or the energy of "Take It Easy," and it's not as special.

New Kid In Town
02-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Anyway, I think I'll scandalize everyone, but...

The guitar solos are always epic live, of course, but I don't think the performance here is a standout one. Compare that to something like "The Long Run," where you have a fun horn aspect added, or the energy of "Take It Easy," and it's not as special.

Soda - me too.
Well, here I go again. I vote for The Long Run.

groupie2686
02-19-2019, 11:02 AM
I'm voting for Seven Bridges Road...the harmonies are beautiful, but I don't like it as much as the other songs that are left.

takeiteasy
02-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Seven Bridges Road

Brooke
02-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Oh my! Shocking events happening here! :lol:

Well something has to go and the ones that went were probably how I'd have voted anyway.

This time I'll vote for The Long Run. It's hard to do, but :shrug:

Desperada
02-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Hotel California

scottside
02-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Hotel California

CAinOH
02-19-2019, 06:01 PM
I vote for The Long Run.

East Texas Girl
02-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Geez, did not realize I missed 2 rounds, I need to get on the ball...

Cast my vote for The Long Run, please.

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2019, 07:08 PM
And I cannot believe I missed a round too although I don't thinkmy vote would have made any difference to the overall outcome. Again I vote for Wasted Time

WalshFan88
02-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Please save Hotel California.

I just don't think ballads transfer over very well to a live rock band application. And I just don't think they really shine with them. They really are more like a guitar band to me than a vocal band. That's just my 2c.

When someone was talking about Randy's pronunciation of "life in the fast lean", I'm like whoa! I can't even tell the harmonies apart here to tell who is singing what on harmony. I can pick out the lead singer but that's about it! Where as I can pick out each guitarist with ease. Shows my bias I suppose but it's still how I process it. I just don't care about the harmonies. When people talk about how they weren't as good with Joe as they were with Bernie, I'm like - who cares! They need to rock more, and croon less, lol. I like it when they put on the distorted guitars and let loose. Hotel California isn't all that distorted until the solos come in, but it's still more of a rocker to me than Wasted Time, Desperado, and Seven Bridges Road. And I like that. I really am more of a AC/DC, Aerosmith, Stones, Zeppelin guy than CSN or the Oak Ridge Boys.

To me the Eagles always shined more as a hard rockin' guitar outfit than a vocal-conscious harmony band. They really are better at Life In The Fast Lane and Hotel California than they are at Seven Bridges Road or Desperado, to me anyway. They were more Aerosmith than Crosby, Stills, and Nash to me. Obviously I'm probably in the minority here, per usual, but it's still a valid point to bring up I think. They really can rock.

I'm not harmony-conscious so I couldn't tell you who's singing what. I'm just not into it I guess. It never is what brought me into the band. The first two records did nothing for me, about the time of OTB/OOTN I get into it more but my favorites will always be Hotel California and The Long Run for albums. And I like that greasy rock n' roll swagger more than I do smooth California country rock. It puts me to sleep, haha.

Vote for Seven Bridges Road, Wasted Time, or even The Long Run if you have to, but please save Hotel California! It's the band at their best. I would very much appreciate saving HC for at least another round.

Thank you all! :)

02-19-2019, 11:47 PM
I'm going to withhold my vote for now because I don't know what song I want to vote for at this point. Of the songs that have gotten votes this round, the one that I really do NOT want to go down is The Long Run. I'm not saying it's the best song, but I do think this version of the song is one of the highlights of the album. I am definitely partial to the songs that have some variations from the studio versions. So, I'm going to wait and see how the rest of this round plays out.

sodascouts
02-20-2019, 07:54 AM
Please save Hotel California.

I just don't think ballads transfer over very well to a live rock band application. And I just don't think they really shine with them. They really are more like a guitar band to me than a vocal band. That's just my 2c.

When someone was talking about Randy's pronunciation of "life in the fast lean", I'm like whoa! I can't even tell the harmonies apart here to tell who is singing what on harmony. I can pick out the lead singer but that's about it! Where as I can pick out each guitarist with ease. Shows my bias I suppose but it's still how I process it. I just don't care about the harmonies. When people talk about how they weren't as good with Joe as they were with Bernie, I'm like - who cares! They need to rock more, and croon less, lol. I like it when they put on the distorted guitars and let loose. Hotel California isn't all that distorted until the solos come in, but it's still more of a rocker to me than Wasted Time, Desperado, and Seven Bridges Road. And I like that. I really am more of a AC/DC, Aerosmith, Stones, Zeppelin guy than CSN or the Oak Ridge Boys.

To me the Eagles always shined more as a hard rockin' guitar outfit than a vocal-conscious harmony band. They really are better at Life In The Fast Lane and Hotel California than they are at Seven Bridges Road or Desperado, to me anyway. They were more Aerosmith than Crosby, Stills, and Nash to me. Obviously I'm probably in the minority here, per usual, but it's still a valid point to bring up I think. They really can rock.

I'm not harmony-conscious so I couldn't tell you who's singing what. I'm just not into it I guess. It never is what brought me into the band. The first two records did nothing for me, about the time of OTB/OOTN I get into it more but my favorites will always be Hotel California and The Long Run for albums. And I like that greasy rock n' roll swagger more than I do smooth California country rock. It puts me to sleep, haha.

Vote for Seven Bridges Road, Wasted Time, or even The Long Run if you have to, but please save Hotel California! It's the band at their best. I would very much appreciate saving HC for at least another round.

Thank you all! :)

Austin, my only pang about voting for "Hotel California" was how much you love it!

WalshFan88
02-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Austin, my only pang about voting for "Hotel California" was how much you love it!

Thank you! :)

Delilah
02-20-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm surprised "Seven Bridges Road" is getting votes. Is it because of the dubbing controversy?

For me, yes. It is probably the most heavily over-dubbed song on “perhaps the most heavily over-dubbed live album in history” as Rolling Stone put it. I still like the song, but this version has lost most of its charm due to the studio trickery. My go-to version now is ‘76 Seattle Live, despite its audio shortcomings.

I vote for Seven Bridges Road.​

WalshFan88
02-20-2019, 07:39 PM
For me personally, the dubbing doesn't bother me on SBR. Why? Because I wasn't a huge fan of it to begin with.

If it had been HC or LITFL or LBG that had been overdubbed, I'm sure I'd be right there with those who are upset about it.

02-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Well - It doesn't look like there's any chance of saving The Long Run. It makes me sad because, as I already said, I love this version. Austin, I have to admit I would have voted for Hotel California if I could have saved The Long Run. Of course, HC is my very favorite Eagles song, and I literally got chills every time I heard it played live, but I don't think the excitement of the live performance gets captured very well on audio or video for some strange reason. So, I have decided that I will vote strategically again ...

I cast my vote for Take It to the Limit.

02-20-2019, 09:12 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is The Long Run. “The Long Run” the tribe has spoken and we did you some damage, we know it's true. You didn't go the distance cause you couldn't handle the resistance. You're bent, but you're not broken so you should treat yourself better and leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Long Run – 4
Hotel California – 3
Seven Bridges Road – 3
Wasted Time – 2
Take It to the Limit – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Long Run – Brooke
The Long Run – CainOH
The Long Run – East Texas Girl
Hotel California – sodascouts
Hotel California – Desperada
Hotel California – scottside
Seven Bridges Road – groupie2686
Seven Bridges Road – Delilah
Wasted Time – WalshFan88
Take It to the Limit – Ive always been a dreamer

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 8 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Whew, that was a close one.

I vote for Seven Bridges Road.

Glennsallnighter
02-21-2019, 07:34 AM
I'm heading away North for a few days so I'll get my vote in early in case the wifi in the hotel is a bit precarious. I'll vote 'Wasted Time' again although i hope I don't regret it later!!

New Kid In Town
02-21-2019, 10:03 AM
I vote for Seven Bridges Road.

scottside
02-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Hotel California. Great song, but there's nothing particularly special about this performance.

sodascouts
02-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Man, I'll miss "The Long Run." I loved those horns!

Sorry, Austin, but it's got to go sometime....

shunlvswx
02-21-2019, 12:58 PM
I missed last round. Darn. I would had voted for Seven Bridges.

Oh well. I'm voting for ​Seven Bridges Road.

Brooke
02-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Man, I'll miss "The Long Run." I loved those horns!

Sorry, Austin, but it's got to go sometime....

The horns are something I have never liked! :lol:

And Hotel California? Nope, can't do that yet!

I think I will join dreamer. I vote for Take It To the Limit.

takeiteasy
02-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Seven Bridges Road

sodascouts
02-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Not "Take It to the Limit"! That song is absolutely epic on here!

groupie2686
02-21-2019, 05:27 PM
I vote for Seven Bridges Road

Save Take It to the Limit! This version is absolutely gorgeous!

East Texas Girl
02-21-2019, 06:14 PM
I'm with Soda and groupie, you have to save Take It To The Limit. It's way too early for it to go. Absolutely beautiful!!

My vote goes to Seven Bridges Road.

LovinGlennGirl
02-21-2019, 10:21 PM
Hotel California gets my vote

cosec3791
02-22-2019, 03:58 AM
If it had been HC or LITFL or LBG that had been overdubbed, I'm sure I'd be right there with those who are upset about it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA

How hilarious! All of them are overdubbed. THE WHOLE album was overdubbed. HC and LBG included.

For HC, Don's guitar parts most probably replayed. The tone is quite different in the original compared to the released version. Drum parts were overdubbed including the hi hats in the intro, which weren't actually there in the original performance. All vocals are overdubbed. Originally, Henley goes rougher in the performance. The "You can never leave!" part in the original had Henley go really high, whereas it was more subdued in the release.

As for LBG, sadly, the "They write Tim letters, tell Glenn Don's great" is an overdub. The original was "They write him letters, tell him he's great". And the final jam at the end is an overdub too. The real one had Felder join in. The piano parts also were changed.

So, sadly Austin, this is only a pseudo-live album, where, including your favorites, everything is overdubbed.

cosec3791
02-22-2019, 04:00 AM
SEVEN BRIDGES ROAD (STEVE YOUNG COVER) to go

Besides the harmonies, there's not much to save the song. And said harmonies were overdubbed too much.

I wish the Eagles did Eagles Live like Made in Japan by Deep Purple, where they just selected the stand-out performances which were so good they didn't need to overdub.

They really should've taken the July 29th performance of SBR. That was actually good.

cosec3791
02-22-2019, 04:02 AM
This version is absolutely gorgeous!

Hmmmm.... even TITTL might've been overdubbed. This is probably the only track where we can't be sure if it was overdubbed or not.

WalshFan88
02-22-2019, 04:14 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA

How hilarious! All of them are overdubbed. THE WHOLE album was overdubbed. HC and LBG included.

For HC, Don's guitar parts most probably replayed. The tone is quite different in the original compared to the released version. Drum parts were overdubbed including the hi hats in the intro, which weren't actually there in the original performance. All vocals are overdubbed. Originally, Henley goes rougher in the performance. The "You can never leave!" part in the original had Henley go really high, whereas it was more subdued in the release.

As for LBG, sadly, the "They write Tim letters, tell Glenn Don's great" is an overdub. The original was "They write him letters, tell him he's great". And the final jam at the end is an overdub too. The real one had Felder join in. The piano parts also were changed.

So, sadly Austin, this is only a pseudo-live album, where, including your favorites, everything is overdubbed.

Hmm. I just cannot believe that.

I'm pretty sure LBG on Eagles Live has Felder on a lot of it.

Delilah
02-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Hmmmm.... even TITTL might've been overdubbed. This is probably the only track where we can't be sure if it was overdubbed or not.

Randy did say he returned to the studio for overdubbing but he didn’t specify which songs.

At any rate, I can’t believe Take It to the Limit​ is getting votes already!! It has been a standout live song for this band as well as one garnering standing ovations and wild applause. On this particular track, both Joe and Glenn praise it (although Glenn’s words were moved and dubbed in after another song :-x ).

And may I add, this ain’t no easy song to sing. I agree with what others have said, this is a beautiful performance and does not deserve an early exit.

I’m not voting yet, as I have to do some strategic considering.

Delilah
02-22-2019, 07:58 PM
It looks like SBR is next to go and doesn’t need my vote. I’ve given the remaining songs another listen and so I cast my vote for Take It Easy.

This version sounds a bit anemic compared to all the other live versions I’ve heard. It’s a great song which I adore but I’m voting based on performance in this particular album. The others remaining are simply better IMO.

02-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Randy did say he returned to the studio for overdubbing but he didn’t specify which songs.

At any rate, I can’t believe Take It to the Limit​ is getting votes already!! It has been a standout live song for this band as well as one garnering standing ovations and wild applause. On this particular track, both Joe and Glenn praise it (although Glenn’s words were moved and dubbed in after another song :-x ).

And may I add, this ain’t no easy song to sing. I agree with what others have said, this is a beautiful performance and does not deserve an early exit.

Quite honestly, I can't believe a lot of the songs that have been eliminated, including the soon-to-be gorgeous Seven Bridges Road. This is one of the most unpredictable games that I think we have ever played. I decided a few rounds ago to just vote strategically for at least the next few rounds, so my votes are not necessarily reflecting the performance that I believe should be eliminated. My vote for Take It to the Limit does not mean that I don't think it's a great performance or that I want to eliminate it yet. However, IMO, it is not the best performance on the album. I rate a few others better, including some that have already been eliminated. For the record, I would have voted for Hotel California this round if I could have helped eliminate it. So, I'll continue voting strategically ...

02-22-2019, 09:08 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Seven Bridges Road. “Seven Bridges Road” the tribe has spoken and we have loved you in a tame way and we have loved you wild. But, sometimes there's a part of us that has to turn from here and go. You didn’t get to decide if you should go, so please head southward as you go and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Seven Bridges Road – 7
Hotel California – 3
Take It to the Limit – 2
Wasted Time – 1
Take It Easy – 1

Vote Breakdown
Seven Bridges Road – WalshFan88
Seven Bridges Road – New Kid In Town
Seven Bridges Road – shunlvswx
Seven Bridges Road – groupie2686
Seven Bridges Road – East Texas Girl
Seven Bridges Road – cosec3791
Hotel California – LovinGlennGirl
Take It to the Limit – Brooke
Take It Easy – Delilah

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22

Performances Remaining
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
New Kid in Town
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 9 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-22-2019, 09:17 PM
I vote for Take It To The Limit​.

CAinOH
02-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Oops, I knew there was something I needed to do before I left work. I forgot!

LovinGlennGirl
02-22-2019, 10:14 PM
Voting for Hotel California

scottside
02-23-2019, 12:33 AM
Hotel California

WalshFan88
02-23-2019, 01:33 AM
Well let me just say I'm so thrilled Hotel California has made it at least two rounds since the first vote against it. It deserves to last.

Let's continue to save it and join me by voting for Take It To The Limit this round.

New Kid In Town
02-23-2019, 09:49 AM
OMG, it is getting harder and harder ! I can't choose TIE and TITTL - I love those songs !
Even though I love the song I vote for Wasted Time.

cosec3791
02-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Sorry Austin, I vote for HOTEL CALIFORNIA

It's because of the overdubbing again. The real performance was epic, one of their best and one of my favorite versions.

The release is a farce in comparison. I just cannot understand why they would overdub what was an amazing original performance. While I dislike the mixing of the whole album, this is one of those songs which take the cake. The drums are not nicely done considering the live setting. It feels like 80% of the track was redone in studio. The vocals are really different compared to the actual performance too.

It makes me wonder how would the performances on 27th and 28th sound like then. Would they have screwed it up even more on those dates?

cosec3791
02-23-2019, 12:06 PM

I want Take It to the Limit to be one of the last songs to go too! This is probably one of the few genuine songs left in the album. I do wonder if Randy overdubbed the high notes though...

And yeah, Take It Easy is pretty much on the low too. And it's horrible that a good chunk of Joe's solo was cut towards the end! That's just too bad!

Yep. TITTL is one of the hardest Eagles songs to sing. And you may remember that one of Glenn's words of appreciation for this song on Oct. 22nd appeared as banter for The Long Run in this album. How sad!

cosec3791
02-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Hmm. I just cannot believe that.

I'm pretty sure LBG on Eagles Live has Felder on a lot of it.

I listened to a bootleg of the July 29th performance at Santa Monica, and the differences were obvious.

I really don't think Felder was there in the release. His Music Man Axis sounded so different compared to Joe's Gold Top. And I could only hear the Gold Top in the release. Whereas the actual performance had Felder clearly on it, towards the end.

02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
As I've said before on the topic of overdubbing, it doesn't really bother me. It's a very common practice among bands and most "live" albums are 'tweeked' to some extent. Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in analyzing every line in every song to compare it with other performances. And no offense intended, but, none of us were present during the production and mixing of this album, so I don't wish to rely on outsider's opinions about what or how much of the album was overdubbed. For me, what is most important is the overall style of the performance, as well as, how the band's emotional connection to the song and engagement with the audience seems to come through. While others may differ, that's my criteria for judging these performances. For me personally, I happen to have a very enjoyable experience when I listen to this particular album.

takeiteasy
02-23-2019, 04:28 PM
In my humble opinion, I find very interesting the Austin's and cosec's posts about overdubbing. It's another aspect of the album to consider.

takeiteasy
02-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Take it to the limit

Desperada
02-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Hotel California

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Wasted Time

sodascouts
02-24-2019, 07:33 PM
One more time....

CAinOH
02-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Austin, not sure how you're gonna save Hotel California this time. I won't vote for Take It To The Limit... yet. But I will vote for Wasted Time.

WalshFan88
02-24-2019, 07:50 PM
I listened to a bootleg of the July 29th performance at Santa Monica, and the differences were obvious.

I really don't think Felder was there in the release. His Music Man Axis sounded so different compared to Joe's Gold Top. And I could only hear the Gold Top in the release. Whereas the actual performance had Felder clearly on it, towards the end.

Cosec, that Axis didn't even exist back then, lol!

I'm not sure what Joe and Don would have used in 1980 on LBG, but I can tell you the Music Man Axis wasn't there. Probably Felder used a Strat or a Les Paul.

WalshFan88
02-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Austin, not sure how you're gonna save Hotel California this time. I won't vote for Take It To The Limit... yet. But I will vote for Wasted Time.

Well I will say I'm glad it's lasted two rounds since Soda's initial vote for it.

For me the choice is easy. Classic rock megahit vs soft country rock singalong. I'm just not into the latter kind of Eagles.

There is a definite difference of the pre-Hotel California Eagles and the post-Hotel California Eagles. It's my opinion they wouldn't have been as big of a band and still widely recognized without Hotel California. They'd be successful sure, but not near as much as they did with the masterpiece song and album. They really did the right thing by going for a mainstream classic rock AOR sound and getting Joe in place of Bernie. To me that's a big reason for their continued success. I just think it made them into a supergroup along the likes of the Beatles or Stones. Because of Hotel California. I just can't vote for it. I just can't.

Delilah
02-24-2019, 07:57 PM
I would have voted for Wasted Time if I didn’t have to save TITTL. But since it is under attack so early, my vote goes to Hotel California.

02-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Well - it looks like Hotel California is going down without my vote, so I will vote strategically again ...

02-24-2019, 09:06 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Hotel California. “Hotel California, the tribe has spoken and it looks like we just killed the beast. As it turns out, you can always leave. So, it’s time to check out, get on that dark desert highway, and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Hotel California – 6
Take It to the Limit – 3
Wasted Time – 3

Vote Breakdown
Hotel California – LovinGlennGirl
Hotel California – cosec3791
Hotel California – Desperada
Hotel California – Delilah
Take It to the Limit – WalshFan88
Take It to the Limit – takeiteasy
Wasted Time – New Kid In Town
Wasted Time – CainOH

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22
Hotel California 2/24

Performances Remaining
Heartache Tonight
New Kid in Town
Wasted Time
Take It to the Limit
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 10 begins now.

Delilah
02-24-2019, 09:07 PM
In my humble opinion, I find very interesting the Austin's and cosec's posts about overdubbing. It's another aspect of the album to consider.

I agree. This album is similar to a Greatest Hits compilation in that every song has merit and there are no real clunkers (IMO). So some of these details and nuances can be helpful in determining which songs to vote off. For a live album, a song where a large amount was overdubbed in the studio isn’t going to rank high with me.

shunlvswx
02-24-2019, 09:39 PM
Darn. I missed this round again. I get confused when the round ends since we don’t see it at the bottom anymore.

Anyway. I’m voting for Take It To The Limit.

WalshFan88
02-24-2019, 10:50 PM
I vote for Take It To The Limit.

I'm sad to see Hotel California go, but I'm glad that I was able to keep it from going down for two rounds at least.

cosec3791
02-25-2019, 03:14 AM
Cosec, that Axis didn't even exist back then, lol!

I'm not sure what Joe and Don would have used in 1980 on LBG, but I can tell you the Music Man Axis wasn't there. Probably Felder used a Strat or a Les Paul.

Yep Austin, my bad. Felder used an Axis in the HFO tour.

Here's a pic of them doing LBG from The Long Run tour. Can you identify the guitars in this pic?

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesGEFLRcolor.jpg

However I'm still sure that Walsh had a Gold Top. The HFO guitar sound and the guitar on Eagles Live sound very similar.

And Delilah, I think Henley is the one doing drums, thankfully. Not Vitale. Vitale would've had to play keys, because Glenn is playing rhythm electric guitar. And Vince Melamed could've been playing the synthesizer.

Frey played both piano and synthesizer till The Long Run tour.

And lastly, one of the biggest things which make Life's Been Good an "Eagles song" as much as Joe's song is that they performed this song a year before it got released. They premiered it at Capital Center and did it for most concerts of the Hotel California tour from there.

cosec3791
02-25-2019, 03:21 AM
I agree. This album is similar to a Greatest Hits compilation in that every song has merit and there are no real clunkers (IMO). So some of these details and nuances can be helpful in determining which songs to vote off. For a live album, a song where a large amount was overdubbed in the studio isn’t going to rank high with me.

THANK YOU!!! And thank you takeiteasy!

This is what I wanted to tell. It's a live album. I totally understand that most people are going to overlook the overdubbing, but to me and a few others, it's important. It's clear that some songs were more overdubbed than others. I apologize if I came about as being a know-it-all. I guess me being into looking at such details made me express my opinions perhaps a tad bit too strong.

I may have not been there for mixing, but the overdubbing is so obvious when listening to an audience recording of the same show, where no editing would've been done. While they may not be THE most hi-fi sounding, they're clear enough to see the difference. AFAIK, Wasted Time is one of the least overdubbed songs on the album, when comparing the two versions.

cosec3791
02-25-2019, 03:24 AM
For this round, I'mma vote HEARTACHE TONIGHT.

Not because of the overdubbing (I don't know any bootlegs of July 27th, so I cannot tell anything) but just because it's WAY too close to the studio version, almost superfluous to even release it. Basically the same reason why some voted off I Can't Tell You Why.

WalshFan88
02-25-2019, 03:34 AM
Yep Austin, my bad. Felder used an Axis in the HFO tour.

Here's a pic of them doing LBG from The Long Run tour. Can you identify the guitars in this pic?

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesGEFLRcolor.jpg

However I'm still sure that Walsh had a Gold Top. The HFO guitar sound and the guitar on Eagles Live sound very similar.

And Delilah, I think Henley is the one doing drums, thankfully. Not Vitale. Vitale would've had to play keys, because Glenn is playing rhythm electric guitar. And Vince Melamed could've been playing the synthesizer.

Frey played both piano and synthesizer till The Long Run tour.

And lastly, one of the biggest things which make Life's Been Good an "Eagles song" as much as Joe's song is that they performed this song a year before it got released. They premiered it at Capital Center and did it for most concerts of the Hotel California tour from there.

Yes, it's Joe's gold top but the guitar Felder is playing in that photo is a Strat. Very different than an Axis, which has humbucker double coil Gibson style pickups as opposed to the Fender style single coils.

Joe's parts on both HFO and Eagles live sound the same to me. But Felder's guitar sound between the two is radically different to my ears, again because of the difference in pickup type.

Glennsallnighter
02-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Darn. I missed this round again. I get confused when the round ends since we don’t see it at the bottom anymore.

Anyway. I’m voting for Take It To The Limit.
Think of it being the even day of the month

sodascouts
02-25-2019, 11:34 AM

I'm almost the opposite. There's so much overdubbed that for me, it's become too difficult to tell and thus I've let it go!

takeiteasy
02-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Take it to the limit

Brooke
02-25-2019, 04:40 PM
Oh my, I'm shocked HC went down already! My vote wouldn't have helped, but it's sad to see their powerhouse song go so soon. :sad:

As far as all the overdubbing, I don't really care. I always loved this album and never knew about it all till now!

My vote this round is for Wasted Time. Beautiful song, but.......something has to go.

East Texas Girl
02-25-2019, 06:42 PM
My vote goes to Wasted Time.

CAinOH
02-25-2019, 07:10 PM
I vote for Wasted Time.

New Kid In Town
02-25-2019, 08:12 PM
I vote for Wasted Time.

LovinGlennGirl
02-25-2019, 08:28 PM
Voting for Take it to the Limit

scottside
02-25-2019, 08:34 PM
Wasted Time

groupie2686
02-25-2019, 08:48 PM
This is getting hard...I'll reluctantly vote for Wasted Time

sodascouts
02-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Well, I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to vote for Wasted Time.

Glennsallnighter
02-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Wasted Time is my vote this round

Delilah
02-26-2019, 07:52 PM
I vote for Take It Easy.

02-26-2019, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry to see Wasted Time go down, but, the good news is that it lasted a lot longer than it has in past games. I agree it is one of Don's finest performances on the album and wish it could have lasted another few rounds. But, anyway, I will continue my strategic voting ...

02-26-2019, 09:01 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Wasted Time. “Wasted Time, the tribe has spoken and it looks like the end for you. Now, you can get on with your search, baby, and we can get on with ours. So, go back out on the street and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Wasted Time – 8
Take It to the Limit – 5
Heartache Tonight – 1
Take It Easy – 1

Vote Breakdown
Wasted Time – Brooke
Wasted Time – East Texas Girl
Wasted Time – CainOH
Wasted Time – New Kid In Town
Wasted Time – scottside
Wasted Time – groupie2686
Wasted Time – sodascouts
Take It to the Limit – shunlvswx
Take It to the Limit – LovinGlennGirl
Heartache Tonight – cosec3791
Take It Easy – Delilah

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22
Hotel California 2/24
Wasted Time 2/26

Performances Remaining
Heartache Tonight
New Kid in Town
Take It to the Limit
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 11 begins now.

WalshFan88
02-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Again, I must vote for Take It To The Limit.

The other songs are so much better and I feel they shine more in a live rock outfit. Even TIE rocks when done electrically like they used to do.

LovinGlennGirl
02-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Well losing Wasted Time and Desperado hurt my soul. My vote goes for Take It To The Limit.

New Kid In Town
02-27-2019, 08:52 AM
I vote for Heartache Tonight. It hurts to vote this off ! :weep::sigh:
I love Randy's live version of TITTL. I can't vote off NKIT or TIE.
Austin you are right, the electric version of TIE is awesome. It is my favorite version of the song.

shunlvswx
02-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Darn. All of Don's songs are now gone.

Well I'm voting for Take It To The Limit again.

sodascouts
02-27-2019, 11:03 AM
No, not Take It to the Limit!

It is cinematic, powerful, amazing. It moves me.

It's hard to chose from what's left. I'll seize upon what's already gotten one vote.

I cast my vote for Heartache Tonight.

Glennsallnighter
02-27-2019, 12:01 PM
I see you have gone over 18,000 posts dreamer- Congratulations!!

takeiteasy
02-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Take it to the limit

East Texas Girl
02-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Save Take It To The Limit!!!! :pray:

I vote for Heartache Tonight.

Brooke
02-27-2019, 05:38 PM
This is hard! :sad:

I vote for New Kid in Town.

groupie2686
02-27-2019, 06:59 PM
This is really hard! I will regrettably vote for New Kid in Town.

Save Take It to the Limit!

WalshFan88
02-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Save Heartache Tonight, vote for Take It To The Limit!

Let's not let an energetic classic rocker go down again in favor of a soft ballad. The rockers shine more in a live environment especially like the venues the Eagles were playing then. We want a rocker to win!

Vote with me for Take It To The Limit, and save Heartache Tonight.

sodascouts
02-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Shoot, with a vote split between Heartache Tonight and New Kid in Town, we're going to lose TITTL!

If you want to save TITTL, form a united voting coalition around Heartache Tonight.

SAVE TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!!

VOTE HEARTACHE TONIGHT!!

02-27-2019, 10:56 PM
I see you have gone over 18,000 posts dreamer- Congratulations!!

Thanks, GA. I'll have to go over to my favorite thread and make a celebratory post. :wink: :wink:

And I also think it's a shame that all of Don's song are gone now, but I do feel that Don's impassioned performance of Wasted Time is his best on this album. So, I'm glad it was the last one to go. However, I have to say that the songs remaining in the game are probably all in my top 5 Eagles songs, so I can't complain too much. But, not all of these are my favorite performances on this album. I think Take It Easy and Heartache Tonight are the most energetic and engaging of the remaining performances. I love both New Kid in Town and Take It to the Limit too, but I don't think the performances on this album are their best I've heard. I consider the best and most dynamic live performances I've ever heard of these two songs to be the ones on the HOTE DVD. The harmonies on both songs on that DVD are unlike any I've ever heard. So, once again ...

scottside
02-28-2019, 01:04 AM
Reluctantly, I vote for "Take It To The Limit."

New Kid In Town
02-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Congratulations on 18,000 posts Dreamer ! :cheers:

BTW, I love that Capital Center video. Every song on the video is amazing ! I wish there was as full concert - I assume the rest in in the over-flowing "vault".;)

cosec3791
02-28-2019, 08:35 AM
HEARTACHE TONIGHT to go

I noticed a lot of people talked about a "good performance" here. That relates to what I was talking about. It's hard for me to consider them performances because of the overdubbing.

I do appreciate that it usually is energetic, but the lack of changes to a potentially good song ruins it for me. I wish Walsh would've tried something new in the slide solo. But it's still the same old.

The Long Run tour was really a starting point to show how the Eagles would perform from there on: Less spontaneity and more templates and similar notes to the records.

Glennsallnighter
02-28-2019, 06:10 PM
I really want to save Heartache Tonight so reluctantly I will vote off Take it to the Limit. Soda, I'm sorry!!

CAinOH
02-28-2019, 07:06 PM
I vote for Take It To The Limit only to save Heartache Tonight.

Delilah
02-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Well, it looks like TITTL is getting axed this round. I knew it wasn’t going to win, but I had hoped it would finish in the top 3. Still, it’s cool that it and Wasted Time made the top 5 out of 15 songs.

As a show of support for TITTL, I vote for Heartache Tonight.

02-28-2019, 09:05 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is Take It to the Limit. “Take It to the Limit, the tribe has spoken – we’ve shown you a sign and the bright lights have faded to blue for you. We know you’ve always been a dreamer, but now you are all alone at the end of the evening. So, put yourself on a highway and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Take It to the Limit – 8
Heartache Tonight – 5
New Kid in Town – 2

Vote Breakdown
Take It to the Limit – LovinGlennGirl
Take It to the Limit – shunlvswx
Take It to the Limit – scottside
Take It to the Limit – Glennsallnighter
Take It to the Limit – CAinOH
Heartache Tonight – New Kid In Town
Heartache Tonight – sodascouts
Heartache Tonight – East Texas Girl
Heartache Tonight – Delilah
New Kid in Town – Brooke
New Kid in Town – groupie2686

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22
Hotel California 2/24
Wasted Time 2/26

Performances Remaining
Heartache Tonight
New Kid in Town
Take It Easy

Voting for Round 12 begins now.

02-28-2019, 09:39 PM
As I said before, I am pleased to see so many of my favorite Eagles songs in the top 5 of this game, although I'm a bit surprised. I have often said that I don't believe there are any bad Eagles songs, so it's always difficult for me to rank them. However, if I have to list them, I'd probably rate my top 5 as follows ...

1. Hotel California
2. Take It Easy
3. Heartache Tonight
4. New Kid in Town
5. Take It to the Limit

So, this game has also been hard for me because I really am trying to rate how much I like the performances, not the songs. And, as I also mentioned previously, I think Heartache Tonight and Take It Easy are the best performances of the remaining songs. They both rock and are fun, lively, and the band is giving it all they've got and the audience seems to really appreciate them. New Kid in Town is a great performance too - it is technically near perfect and Glenn's delivery is so passionate. However, I don't think it's quite a good as the other two in terms of connecting with the audience. So, although I'll wait to vote, I hope I can persuade some of you to consider my remarks when casting your vote.

WalshFan88
02-28-2019, 11:02 PM
So this is getting pretty tough for me.

I really have grown fond of NKIT over the years. And I love the electric version of TIE.

But I have to save Heartache Tonight. I just feel it's energy in this version and it's a great classic rock song and I have to try to save it one more time.

I'm probably wasting my vote this round, and I'm ok with that.

I vote for Take It Easy.

takeiteasy
03-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Heartache Tonight

New Kid In Town
03-01-2019, 09:53 AM
I was sorry to see TITTL go
Yikes, this is hard ! I love the last three songs so much !
I am torn but will vote for Heartache Tonight.

cosec3791
03-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Eeeeekkkkk

HEARTACHE TONIGHT

Although it's one the songs we cannot say about overdubbing at all. I just hope that this would be one of those songs which were overdubbed less.

Btw all, just for consideration...

Take It Easy here has a good quarter of Walsh's solo cut off and the beginning of New Kid in Town's outro was overdubbed. Originally, Glenn didn't even sing anything after singing "There's a new kid in town". He just was silent. Then after 2 more repeats of that, then only he continued singing again.

But you know what? That's the Eagles I love. I like that slight mistake very much. In spite of the quality, that's my favorite version of New Kid in Town, the original performance, tied with Capital Center 77. Glenn's voice was much better rougher. And Felder's guitar was squealing so wonderfully previously, but the released version was too subdued. I personally feel that the Eagles from 1976-77 were best for that. More mistakes, but more genuine nonetheless and much more powerful and energetic.

I really feel that Heartache Tonight would've been much better have they tried to improvise in it and be a little bit more loose. I could've only imagined Walsh improvising during the slide solo like Rocky....

groupie2686
03-01-2019, 03:16 PM
This is getting hard! I see now that my vote for New Kid in Town helped Take It to the Limit get voted off....but oh well...I vote for New Kid in Town again

Brooke
03-01-2019, 03:37 PM
I better vote now as I don't normally make it here over the weekend.

I have to vote for New Kid in Town again. I just love the other two songs more. Only reason!

East Texas Girl
03-01-2019, 05:56 PM
So sad to see Take It To The Limit go... :sad:

Btw, Dreamer, I love the announcements you make for the results of each round, they crack me up, I look forward to reading them each time. But this line just seemed extra sad this time.
We know you've always been a dreamer, but now you are all alone.

I cast my vote for New Kid In Town.

scottside
03-01-2019, 06:48 PM
New Kid In Town

03-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Btw, Dreamer, I love the announcements you make for the results of each round, they crack me up, I look forward to reading them each time. But this line just seemed extra sad this time.

Thanks ETG - It's funny you mentioned this because just the other night while I was getting ready to post the results of the round, I was wondering if any of you may be interested in making up some of these little 'exit' snippets for songs in the next Survivor game. If anyone is interested, we can discuss the logistics before we start the next game.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and vote now even though it pains me to do so. Honestly, I'm not sure why I waited because I was always going to vote for this song this round even though it makes my fingers hurt to type this ...

I cast my vote for New Kid in Town.

CAinOH
03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Voting for New Kid In Town to save Heartache Tonight.

Glennsallnighter
03-02-2019, 08:17 PM
Very hard decision to make as I love Heartache tonight and NKIT. And I love TIE too!! On balance I think I will have to vote off NKIT but just by a whisker

sodascouts
03-02-2019, 08:48 PM
I'm so torn.... I'm going to go with Heartache Tonight as my vote.

03-02-2019, 09:11 PM
The next performance to be eliminated in Eagles Live Album Survivor is New Kid in Town. “New Kid in Town, there were great expectations – everyone was watching you. The tribe will never forget you, but somebody new has come along. Now, ignore the talk on the street and please leave the island immediately. The remaining two songs may return to camp.

Heartache Tonight vs. Take It Easy

Votes
New Kid in Town – 7
Heartache Tonight – 4
Take It Easy – 1

Vote Breakdown
New Kid in Town – groupie2686
New Kid in Town – Brooke
New Kid in Town – East Texas Girl
New Kid in Town– scottside
New Kid in Town– Ive always been a dreamer
New Kid in Town – CainOH
New Kid in Town – Glennsallnighter
Heartache Tonight – takeiteasy
Heartache Tonight – New Kid In Town
Heartache Tonight – sodascouts
Take It Easy – WalshFan88

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22
Hotel California 2/24
Wasted Time 2/26
New Kid in Town 3/02

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

Heartache Tonight vs. Take It Easy

Voting for the final round begins now.

WalshFan88
03-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Heartache Tonight for the win!

New Kid In Town
03-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Take It Easy for the win.

CAinOH
03-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Take It Easy for the win.

scottside
03-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Take It Easy.

Tony Trout
03-03-2019, 01:06 PM
"Heartache Tonight"!!!

takeiteasy
03-03-2019, 03:53 PM
So sad New Kid In Town is out. One of the best songs of the band. The one for I fell in love with the Eagles and Glenn's beautiful voice... :cry:

Well I vote for Take It Easy, obviously

cosec3791
03-04-2019, 11:20 AM
TAKE IT EASY to win

shunlvswx
03-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Take it Easy for the win. I love the extra solo at the end and Southern California.

Brooke
03-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Well, you know how I'm voting!

TAKE IT EASY FOR THE WIN!

My favorite song like FOREVER!!!! :nod: :guitar::rockguitar::band:

groupie2686
03-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Take It Easy to win!

sodascouts
03-04-2019, 03:40 PM
So hard to decide. Both songs rock here. I only voted for "Heartache Tonight" earlier out of loyalty to "Take It to the Limit."

I guess in the end, the fact that the energy of "Take It Easy" has been lighting up audiences since this band's first live show will be what tips my vote into that camp.

I vote for "Take It Easy" for the win!!!

East Texas Girl
03-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Take It Easy for the win!

03-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Good reason, Soda. I also think Take It Easy should win the game because of all the reasons previously stated. However, it's not as if Heartache Tonight is a slouch by any stretch as the lop-sided voting here would indicate. Therefore, since Take It Easy's victory is secure, I'm going to give a tip of the hat to the worthy contender ...

I cast my vote for Heartache Tonight.

BTW - Just want to let everyone know that I'm going out to dinner tonight, so the results of tonight's finale may be delayed a bit. I'll get them posted as soon as I get back home.

WalshFan88
03-04-2019, 08:02 PM
IMO, Take It Easy should have been kept as an electric song. It had way more energy and really more of a rock vibe with them doing it electrically. When they did HFO and every tour after, they did it with Glenn on acoustic again. I really wish they would have kept it as an electric song, crank up the amps for the intro and sing it more as a classic rock song. They really had the right idea by rocking that up more. As a rule I don't go to unplugged shows, for that matter. It's one thing if the song was originally acoustic, but to take a rockin' song, slow it down, and acoustify it is just sacrilege to me. I hated the HFO version of Hotel Cali.

I'll say it again, I'm just not a fan of the whole smooth-as-silk country crooning thing. I also don't think acoustic music translates well to an arena, definitely not a stadium. Acoustic music is for opera houses, coffee shops, theaters, and auditoriums. Outdoor or indoor venues that are big, need more rock edge and more electric instruments. I want to hear 100w Marshalls or Fender Twin Reverbs cranked up. One of the reasons I like newer country music, is the fact that it shies away from the tear in my beer twangy acoustic-laden stuff and leans more towards southern rock and classic rock. A Luke Bryan show is definitely going to be more energetic and louder than an Alan Jackson show. And I love that. I guess I like country when it becomes another genre. lol Even the pop/rnb/edm stuff is more my speed than classic traditional country.

So I guess what I'm saying is - I DO appreciate this version of TIE on Eagles Live, and am ok with it winning. I'd rather see Heartache Tonight win, but this version of TIE is acceptable to me and I prefer it in fact.

03-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Well, the time has come to crown our winner. The runner up is going to have a heartache tonight while the winner will just take it easy while they loosen their load. The winner of our Eagles Live Album Survivor is ...

Take It Easy

Votes
Take It Easy – 10
Heartache Tonight – 3

Vote Breakdown
Take It Easy – New Kid In Town
Take It Easy – CainOH
Take It Easy – scottside
Take It Easy – takeiteasy
Take It Easy – cosec3791
Take It Easy – shunlvswx
Take It Easy – Brooke
Take It Easy – groupie2686
Take It Easy – sodascouts
Take It Easy – East Texas Girl
Heartache Tonight – WalshFan88
Heartache Tonight – Tony Trout
Heartache Tonight – Ive always been a dreamer

Performances Eliminated
All Night Long 2/08
Life's Been Good 2/10
Saturday Night 2/14
Desperado 2/16
The Long Run 2/20
Seven Bridges Road 2/22
Hotel California 2/24
Wasted Time 2/26
New Kid in Town 3/02
Heartache Tonight 3/04

Congrats, Take It Easy!

To celebrate, listen to the 2002 Oklahoma City audio download:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...asyOKC2002.mp3 (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/TakeItEasyOKC2002.mp3)

… and watch the 1972 Central Park video download 30 years earlier:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...tralPark72.wmv (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/TakeItEasyCentralPark72.wmv)

Again, thanks for playing everyone and hope you enjoyed the game.

cosec3791
03-05-2019, 12:43 AM
Yep. Decent winner.

But as I said, Heartache Tonight had so much potential for improvisation and change. Imagine if they actually did....

And I notice people talking about the extra solo. Lol they always had an extra solo ever since at least 1973! And here, they cut a quarter of it, which is massively disappointing, as that last quarter would arguably be the most frenetic part of the solo.

The Long Run tour however I feel had the best performances of Take It Easy. With the exception of 1979 Chicago (where Jackson Browne joined in) all the others were fun and lively. Another recommendation would 1976 Seattle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgCw_Y9490M

Thanks for this Dreamer and other admins! Was pretty fun, in spite of the fact that this is one of my least favorite albums.

Brooke
03-05-2019, 04:08 PM
CONGRATS TO TAKE IT EASY! :applause:

Well deserved but HT and TITTL are nearly as awesome!

Thanks for the rockin' video too, cosec! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks for playing, everyone!

sodascouts
03-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Congrats to Take It Easy!

Thanks for running the game, Dreamer!

Glennsallnighter
03-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I can't believe after being so diligent with the other rounds that I missed the last one. The reason was that I intended listening to both songs again on the live album once more before making a final decision. Looks like either way TIE was going to win, and a totally worth winner. But HT is also an excellent song. If I love the feeling of freedom in TIE, equally I love the energy that HT generates.

Once again, thanks to Soda and dreamer for coordinating the thread and posting the results as they were determined.

Delilah
03-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Congratulations to Take It Easy — this isn’t my favorite version but it’s still a really good one.

And thanks from me too, Dreamer for running this Survivor.

New Kid In Town
03-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Dreamer - A big thank you from me too. Thanks so much for all the work you do on these Song Survivor Contests. :bow::yay::thumbsup:

My all time fav version of TIE is the Capital Center Concert - I love the electric version of the song.

03-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Awww - thank everyone. :grouphug: I'm glad everyone enjoyed the game. As I said before, I was surprised at some of the results this time, but as the old saying goes 'that's why they play the game'. However, in the end, I totally agree with the final result. I agree with NKIT that my favorite version of TIE is probably the Capital Center show. Nonetheless, I love this song and especially any version that has the extended guitar solos, so ...

CONGRATS TO TAKE IT EASY!!!

As I said earlier in the game, I just love listening to the Eagles Live album, overdubbing and all.

WalshFan88
03-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Thank you Dreamer for running this game and to both you and Soda for doing another Survivor.