PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Try and Love again played live

YoungEaglesFan
04-01-2019, 01:56 PM
I haven’t posted in a very long time but I saw an article by chance that I felt some of you would be interested in seeing. I was looking up the capital center performance but I came across a concert review from the Washington post from 1977. Although it’s fairly negative towards the band, it does confirm that try and love again was played. Though it was unfortunately pointed as being a low point, saying that Randy’s lead was too whiny. Despite that, this is still cool to read.

heres the link to the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1977/03/23/the-eagles-slick-and-self-centered/5837a2a8-7f82-4076-8c13-a19b62f89d3e/?utm_term=.c4d9cd1e90c2

groupie2686
04-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Welcome back YEF! That is awesome...I still would love to see video of Try and Love Again live

Delilah
04-01-2019, 05:14 PM
I haven’t posted in a very long time but I saw an article by chance that I felt some of you would be interested in seeing. I was looking up the capital center performance but I came across a concert review from the Washington post from 1977. Although it’s fairly negative towards the band, it does confirm that try and love again was played. Though it was unfortunately pointed as being a low point, saying that Randy’s lead was too whiny. Despite that, this is still cool to read.

heres the link to the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1977/03/23/the-eagles-slick-and-self-centered/5837a2a8-7f82-4076-8c13-a19b62f89d3e/?utm_term=.c4d9cd1e90c2

Hi, YEF, how have you been?

Yes I do remember reading that review awhile back. Maybe that’s why the song was dropped from the setlist—his vocal performance wasn’t strong enough. It could be Randy just had a bad night or maybe the reviewer had a bone to pick with him and the band and was reaching. He sounds fine when he performed it at his solo concert in Huntington Beach.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Well YEF - Glad to see you've come out of hiding.

Thanks for the link. I think we had established quite a while back that Try and Love again was performed live, but I don't remember what thread(s) the discussion was in.

It was not usual for the band to get these kinds of reviews back in the day. They were never the darlings of the critics. And this last paragraph - wow ...

Outside, before the show, scalpers were selling tickets for as much as $25, suggesting that these two concerts are the pop event of the year thus far and that the Eagles are rock's most popular all-American band.

I don't even know where to start. But, to be fair, $25 was probably more than double the cost of a regular ticket at the time.

YoungEaglesFan
04-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Well YEF - Glad to see you've come out of hiding.

Thanks for the link. I think we had established quite a while back that Try and Love again was performed live, but I don't remember what thread(s) the discussion was in.

It was not usual for the band to get these kinds of reviews back in the day. They were never the darlings of the critics. And this last paragraph - wow ...

I don't even know where to start. But, to be fair, $25 was probably more than double the cost of a regular ticket at the time.

Thanks for welcoming me back! I was just posting this as more definitive proof rather than relying on setlist.com and such. It was also the first I’ve seen anywhere where the performance was talked about.

sodascouts
04-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Welcome back and yeah, looks like that settles it! :)

vshiloh
04-01-2019, 08:15 PM
It's on the Michigan 1976 Concert VHS. Great version

YoungEaglesFan
04-01-2019, 09:34 PM
It's on the Michigan 1976 Concert VHS. Great version

You have a recording of them playing it live? If so, I’d love to hear that!

New Kid In Town
04-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Hi YEF - Welcome back ! Thanks for finding that review, I have never seen it before.
Yikes - that review hurts. Boy, the critics sure did not like the group back then. I love that concert ! $25.00 would have been a lot of money for a concert back then. A concert back then was around $7 to $10 dollars if I remember right.
Like Dreamer said, we had established that TAlA was played in concert. I think it was also performed at MSG, which I believe they had played right before the Capital Center.

vshiloh
04-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Yes I have a video of them playing it, The tape seems to be non existent anywhere else and it actually a rarity. I feel like if I do anything with it I'll have people going nuts asking for it as it's a whole concert from 1976 that hasn't surfaced anywhere else

YoungEaglesFan
04-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Yes I have a video of them playing it, The tape seems to be non existent anywhere else and it actually a rarity. I feel like if I do anything with it I'll have people going nuts asking for it as it's a whole concert from 1976 that hasn't surfaced anywhere else

Well if you’re ever open to sharing it, I’d be very interested in seeing it but I understand your situation

NightMistBlue
04-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Lord, yes. Please.

NightMistBlue
04-03-2019, 01:20 PM
The review is of the March 21, 1977 show at the Capitol Centre in Largo, Maryland. Why isn't "Try and Love Again" on the audio recordings of this concert? They must not be complete.

groupie2686
04-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Lord, yes. Please.

I second that. If you ever want to share, vshiloh, please do!

Derk
04-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Speaking of "Try and Love Again"...Who do we think will sing it at the Hotel California Show in Vegas in September?

scottside
04-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Speaking of "Try and Love Again"...Who do we think will sing it at the Hotel California Show in Vegas in September?

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Vince.

Derk
04-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Replying to myself, I Vote for Tim.

shunlvswx
04-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Probably Vince. Timothy really can’t hit those high notes anymore and Try and Love Again is a high song. They probably will drop the key. Plus Timothy said he won’t sing any of Randy’s songs out of respect, but this could give Timothy another song to sing.

New Kid In Town
04-04-2019, 07:28 AM

I would guess Vince. As Shun said, Tim cannot reach those high notes anymore. Tim stated when he joined the band he would never sing any Randy songs. And, he never has. I don't seem him changing that.