PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: Hotel California

Ive always been a dreamer
07-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Time for the Hotel California Survivor, where we vote off the songs on the album until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

I'm going to list all the songs on the album here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner of the Hotel California Survivor is …

New Kid in Town

Songs Eliminated:
The Last Resort 7/03
Pretty Maids All in a Row 7/05
Try and Love Again 7/07
Victim of Love 7/09
Wasted Time 7/11
Life in the Fast Lane 7/13
Hotel California 7/15

Hope everyone enjoyed the game.

Thanks for playing!

YoungEaglesFan
07-01-2019, 08:11 PM
I vote for the last resort. Pretty but quite boring to me

WalshFan88
07-01-2019, 10:31 PM
This is tough. This is the one Eagles album I listen to regularly with no skips straight through.

I will join YEF and vote for “The Last Resort”!

groupie2686
07-01-2019, 11:16 PM
I'll agree and go with The Last Resort

New Kid In Town
07-02-2019, 06:51 AM
I vote for "The Last Resort".

SIDE NOTE : Dreamer thanks for doing this !

sodascouts
07-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Same here -

I cast my vote for The Last Resort.

Brooke
07-02-2019, 01:31 PM
I was listening to this album all weekend and was thinking the whole time, what song will I want to go first because I really love every song on it! This will be a really hard game for me!

So, I guess I'll join in with the rest and vote for The Last Resort. It's pretty, but..... something has to go!

Glennsallnighter
07-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Goodness, TLR is one of my favourite all time Eagles songs, and my favourite one which features Don H on lead vocals. I couldn't POSSIBLY vote it off yet. I'm going to wait a bit and see if an alternative song is offered.

scottside
07-02-2019, 04:26 PM
I know I'll get excoriated for this but I vote for "Hotel California." It is an amazing song with phenomenal guitar work, but it's never been one of my personal favorites and something has to go, so this is the one. That's why I was hoping to include "Wasted Time Reprise," to have something else to vote off first...

My My
07-02-2019, 04:51 PM
I vote for "Pretty Maids All In A Row". I love the harmonies, but I've never cared for Joe's voice... sorry all!

shunlvswx
07-02-2019, 05:12 PM
I like The Last Resort. So I'm going with My My and vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row.

07-02-2019, 08:53 PM
To say this game is going to be very difficult for me is a huge understatement. For me, every song on this album is superb. This may be, perhaps, my favorite album of all time. Even though I love every song, I do have my favorites of favorites. And although I think it is a beautiful song, I do always find myself gravitating towards eliminating PMAIAR first, so I guess that means it's my least favorite. In any event, I think I'll wait to vote to see how the rest of the round plays out.

And scottside - consider the excoriation done! :fingerwag:

Glennsallnighter
07-03-2019, 09:53 AM
OK, well looks like PMAIAR is going to be the 'alternative' song to vote for in an effort to keep TLR in play. I know people think TLR is rather too long, a bit depressive and a but boring but I did hear it live when DH was touring in Ireland a few years ago and its impact was huge. I've always loved the story (Ok saga) and the harmonies invoked and the way it builds up to a crescendo. Its one of those songs I can SEE as it plays out (if that makes sense). Its also my sons favourite Eagles song since he first heard it at age 2 (he's now 15)

So I vote off 'Pretty Maids All in a Row' and hopefully keep TLR

thelastresort
07-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Hotel California

BBKron
07-03-2019, 07:07 PM
I know that this is a tough for one for all, as all the songs are really good here, but come on, The Last Resort and Pretty Maids All in a Row are the picks so far to be the first to go? Sorry, but I cannot go along with either of those. I would rank both of those as being above about the half the other songs on the album. PMAIAR is Joe's best song as an Eagle, and TLR is one of the Eagles best all-around songs. Sure, neither of them 'rock', but they are the 2 most thoughtful and beautiful songs on the album.

No, although it will not make any difference here, I have to vote for Try and Love Again, another very good song, but as everyone is saying, something has to go, and it is my least favorite on the album.

07-03-2019, 07:55 PM
I hate to see The Last Resort be the first song to be eliminated - I think it is a great song. I was hoping that the players would rally to save it. And while I agree with BBKron that Pretty Maids is a beautiful song, I can't agree that it is the most thoughtful song on the album, so ...

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row.

07-03-2019, 08:05 PM
The first song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is The Last Resort. “The Last Resort”, the tribe has spoken, and you weren’t able to make it here. So pack up all your hopes and dreams and sail to Lahaina. They call this island paradise, I don’t know why. But, it’s time to leave it all behind – so kiss it goodbye.

Votes
The Last Resort – 6
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 4
Hotel California – 2
Try and Love Again – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Last Resort – YoungEaglesFan
The Last Resort – WalshFan88
The Last Resort – groupie2686
The Last Resort – New Kid In Town
The Last Resort – sodascouts
The Last Resort – Brooke
Pretty Maids All in a Row – My My
Pretty Maids All in a Row – shunlvswx
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Glennsallnighter
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Ive always been a dreamer
Hotel California – scottside
Hotel California – thelastresort
Try and Love Again – BBKron

Songs Eliminated:
The Last Resort 7/03

Songs Remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

WalshFan88
07-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Pretty Maids All In A Row

My My
07-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Once again, "Pretty Maids All In A Row"

scottside
07-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Hotel California

sodascouts
07-04-2019, 11:50 AM
"Pretty Maids All in a Row" is a beautiful song that really moves me. I'm so not ready for it to go this early. It has really poignant lyrics. Plus, the harmonies are gorgeous.

Now "Try and Love Again" is a great song - as are they all - but I've always felt "Try and Love Again" got terribly repetitive at the end. I mean it's just ridiculous.

SAVE PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW!

VOTE FOR TRY AND LOVE AGAIN!

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

Desperada
07-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Try and Love Again

YoungEaglesFan
07-04-2019, 04:50 PM
I’m sorry but I cannot stand to see to see try and love again taken out so soon. I like PMAIAR a lot but I love TALA. I vote Pretty maids all in a row

groupie2686
07-04-2019, 05:44 PM
I love Try and Love Again too and dont want to see it go just yet. So I'll vote for Pretty Maids All in A Row

thelastresort
07-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Try and Love Again. Probably Randy's most complete song with the band but that ending...

I would hate for PMAIAR to go so early, easily the most emotional and vulnerable song on the album, written and sung by the man brought in to make them a hard rock act.

shunlvswx
07-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Well I will join, Soda. I like PMAIAR better than TALG. So I'm voting for Try and Love Again.

07-04-2019, 10:13 PM
I love Try and Love Again and, TBH, I don't quite understand the issue with its repetitive ending. There are several great Eagles' songs that have repetitive endings similar to this - most notably the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise and Take It to the Limit. I think the endings of all these songs are very effective. In the case of Try and Love Again, after all, he does want to give love another try again, and again, and again, and again ... because love is something you should never give up on. If you want an example of a song with a repetitive ending that is totally ineffective and annoying, look no farther than Funky New Year.

Glennsallnighter
07-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Yes I think TALA is quite an underrated song of the Eagles. I suppose they just have so many really good songs that the ones that were'nt nig hits tend to get overlooked.

So this round I'll stick with Pretty Maids all in a row.

Brooke
07-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Have to say I agree with Dreamer about TALA! I really love that song!

So, as much as I like Pretty Maids All in a Row, it gets my vote this time.

sodascouts
07-05-2019, 04:11 PM
I love Try and Love Again and, TBH, I don't quite understand the issue with its repetitive ending. There are several great Eagles' songs that have repetitive endings similar to this - most notably the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise and Take It to the Limit. I think the endings of all these songs are very effective. In the case of Try and Love Again, after all, he does want to give love another try again, and again, and again, and again ... because love is something you should never give up on. If you want an example of a song with a repetitive ending that is totally ineffective and annoying, look no farther than Funky New Year.

While I see your point, if your illustration is that it's better than Funky New Year - that's a pretty low bar, my friend!

BBKron
07-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Once again, I have to vote to remove Try and Love Again. Yes, it is a very good song, as are all of them on Hotel California, but, for me at least, I have to consider it the weakest song overall on a great top to bottom album. And I would put PMAIAR several notches higher, but that's just my personal preference

07-05-2019, 07:47 PM
While I see your point, if your illustration is that it's better than Funky New Year - that's a pretty low bar, my friend!

lol - But, no actually what you said was the point I was trying to make. I guess I didn't make myself clear, but I think TALA is many notches above FNY - not even a close call, IMO. So, with that said, I'll make my vote official ...

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All in a Row.

07-05-2019, 08:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is Pretty Maids All in a Row. “Pretty Maids All in a Row", the tribe has spoken, and you got no love from your friends. Your storybook has come to a close and gone are the ribbons and bows. Now, you have things to remember and places to go so please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 7
Try and Love Again – 5
Hotel California – 1

Vote Breakdown
Pretty Maids All in a Row – WalshFan88
Pretty Maids All in a Row – My My
Pretty Maids All in a Row – YoungEaglesFan
Pretty Maids All in a Row – groupie2686
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Glennsallnighter
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Brooke
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Ive always been a dreamer
Try and Love Again – sodascouts
Try and Love Again – Desperada
Try and Love Again – thelastresort
Try and Love Again – shunlvswx

Songs Eliminated:
The Last Resort 7/03

Songs Remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

WalshFan88
07-05-2019, 11:19 PM
​Try And Love Again

My My
07-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Victim of Love

sodascouts
07-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Well that's a disappointment!

I'm going to give it another shot.

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

YoungEaglesFan
07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
I’m gonna vote for victim of love.

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Try And Love Again.

shunlvswx
07-07-2019, 04:14 PM
I vote for Try and Love Again again.

Desperada
07-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Try and Love Again

BBKron
07-07-2019, 07:11 PM
OK, Let's try this again, a little too late, but one more time for

Try and Love Again

07-07-2019, 07:51 PM
Wow! Where are all of our players?

Since it looks like there is no way to save TALA, I guess I'll cast a strategic vote ...

I cast my vote for Victim of Love.

07-07-2019, 08:02 PM
The next song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is Try and Love Again. “Try and Love Again”, we debated whether you should stay or you should go. Sometimes you win, but what it all comes down to is this time you lose. What’s done is done, so there is no need to try again. When the sun comes up tomorrow, you must be off the island. You never know what you might find out there, but when you find it, you will know.

Votes
Try and Love Again – 6
Victim of Love – 3

Vote Breakdown
Try and Love Again – WalshFan88
Try and Love Again – sodascouts
Try and Love Again – Glennsallnighter
Try and Love Again – shunlvswx
Try and Love Again – Desperada
Victim of Love – My My
Victim of Love – YoungEaglesFan
Victim of Love – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs Eliminated:
The Last Resort 7/03
Try and Love Again 7/07

Songs Remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

YoungEaglesFan
07-07-2019, 08:28 PM
I vote for victim of love.

groupie2686
07-07-2019, 09:03 PM
I can't believe I missed this round! For some reason I thought it ended tomorrow!

I vote for Victim of Love

scottside
07-07-2019, 09:37 PM
Hotel California

sodascouts
07-07-2019, 10:27 PM
I'm not voting yet because I want to see how it goes, but...

anybody interested in forming a coalition to save Victim of Love? How about using Wasted Time instead? Sending out feelers here.

Because Victim of Love is SMOKING HOT and Wasted Time kind of drags occasionally (though I like it).

WalshFan88
07-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Let's do it, Soda! Wasted Time was my next pick anyway.

I vote for Wasted Time

Let's save the rockers, please, and vote off the ballad-y type songs..

My My
07-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Victim of Love

Desperada
07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Victim of Love

shunlvswx
07-08-2019, 10:13 AM
I like Wasted Time. So I'm gonna go with Victim of Love even though I like that song too.

New Kid In Town
07-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Well, I was away for the holiday weekend and missed some of the voting. all interesting choices.
I vote for Victim Of Love.

UndertheWire
07-08-2019, 12:43 PM
I keep forgetting to vote.

I vote for Hotel California.

I've never liked it and it gets too much credit.

Brooke
07-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Darn, I thought I had another day too! I so hate to see TALA gone already! :-(

I love all the songs, but VOL is :smokin: as Soda said! Can NOT vote for it yet!

I vote for Wasted Time. ​Beautiful song, but I like the rest better!

sodascouts
07-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Shoot! It looks bad for VOL!

I'll give it a shot though.

SAVE VICTIM OF LOVE!

VOTE WASTED TIME!

I cast my vote for "Wasted Time."

WalshFan88
07-08-2019, 10:57 PM
I'll echo Soda's sentiment.

SAVE VICTIM OF LOVE AND VOTE FOR WASTED TIME!

Glennsallnighter
07-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Looks like its a 2 horse race here, so as I prefer Victim of Love I will vote off Wasted Time

groupie2686
07-09-2019, 01:03 PM
I already voted, but Wasted Time is one of my favorite songs ever, not just Eagles songs.....Save Wasted Time! Vote Victim of Love!

thelastresort
07-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Victim of Love

07-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Well - it looks like Victim of Love is going down this time with no help from me, so I am going to vote strategically ...

I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane.

BTW - Maybe this tip will help players remember when each round ends - All rounds for this game will end on odd numbered days.

07-09-2019, 08:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is Victim of Love. “Victim of Love”, the tribe has spoken and we could be wrong, but we’re not. It was such an easy part and we thought you knew how to play it so well. But, now, all we see is a broken heart. This ain’t no time to be cool, so you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Victim of Love – 7
Wasted Time – 4
Hotel California – 2
Life in the Fast Lane – 1

Vote Breakdown
Victim of Love – YoungEaglesFan
Victim of Love – groupie2686
Victim of Love – My My
Victim of Love – Desperada
Victim of Love – shunlvswx
Victim of Love – New Kid In Town
Victim of Love – thelastresort
Wasted Time – WalshFan88
Wasted Time – Brooke
Wasted Time – sodascouts
Wasted Time – Glennsallnighter
Hotel California – UndertheWire
Life in the Fast Lane – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs Eliminated:
The Last Resort 7/03
Try and Love Again 7/07
Victim of Love 7/09

Songs Remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

WalshFan88
07-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Boo! I was hoping for all of the ballads/soft songs to go bye bye before the rockers. At least PMAIAR, TLR, and TALA went down first before VOL!

Again, I'm voting for Wasted Time. Please join me!

scottside
07-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Hotel California

New Kid In Town
07-10-2019, 12:27 AM
How could TALA go before VOL - I love TALA. I was on vacation and missed that voting.:sigh:

I vote for Life In The Fast Lane.

Glennsallnighter
07-10-2019, 05:37 AM
I will vote off Wasted Time again as I think the other 3 somgs are simply better

Desperada
07-10-2019, 06:13 AM
Hotel California

sodascouts
07-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Hmm. I'm also of the opinion that "Hotel California" is overrated and it might be a good idea to vote it off now, but I do think it's better than "Wasted Time." I might see how the voting goes before casting mine!

shunlvswx
07-10-2019, 12:39 PM
I'm voting for Wasted Time.

YoungEaglesFan
07-10-2019, 01:36 PM
For me, hotel California is the song I knew of the Eagles before I became a band. It’s a great song but to me it doesn’t seem like “them”. It’s very different from anything else they’ve done lyrically. I have an appreciation for how good it is but it’s not a favorite of my at all

Delilah
07-10-2019, 02:39 PM
I haven’t been playing this game b/c I couldn’t bear to vote off any of the songs. :sad: I know that sounds silly. At this point I’m still not sure what I would vote off.

Hotel California - Pros: so iconic, a real game-changer that is famous all the world over. Incredible lyrics, amazing guitar solos. A mysterious, haunting vibe. People who aren’t familiar with the band at least know this song. Cons: overplayed and overexposed and maybe just maybe a little overrated. Predictable win and predictable is boring.

Life in the Fast Lane - Pros: a true 70s rocker, dangerous and thrilling, doesn’t get enough love, imo. Also a great guitar song. Henley sings a range of emotions and sounds anything from excited to detached to almost desperate to resigned. I love how his in this. Cons: hmmm 🤔 trying to think of some- not enough Randy?

New Kid in Town - Pros: wonderful vocal by Glenn, righteous harmonies and one of their best intros. A familiar but relatable story. Nice little guitar solo thrown in the middle by Felder. Stays true to their country rock roots. Cons: see LITFL.

Wasted Time - Pros: Another killer Henley vocal. A sad break-up story with a different angle from most. Thoughtful, stirring lyrics. Cons: A wee bit tedious. The line about her being back on the streets doesn’t sit well. Why must Henley show her in a bad light?

thelastresort
07-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Hotel California

Brooke
07-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm really surprised about votes against HC and LITFL already! I'll have to give it a little more thought! :hmm:

WalshFan88
07-10-2019, 06:19 PM
I can't get over all the votes for HC already either, Brooke. :woah:

All this talk about it being overrated has me sad. :( It's not overrated. It might be overplayed on radio, you might be tired of it - but it's not overrated. If it weren't for this song, the Eagles wouldn't have been IMO near as successful. When you mention the Eagles to the average rock n' roll fan (not country fan), they are going to say Hotel California. It's like peanut butter and jelly at this point. Now I'm sure if you would ask a country/western fan that same question - you might get Take It Easy Or Peaceful Easy Feeling as their answer, but I don't tend to hang out in that crowd and I think there are more rock fans out there that I see.

YEF - the fact that it is different than the rest of their works is one of the reasons I like it. I hate country-rock so for me them doing this record and The Long Run is pretty much why I'm a fan. I don't like smooth ballads or go gaga for harmony vocals and twangy stuff so much. To me, this was their piece de resistance. Their masterpiece. The one song that stood head, hands, and shoulders above anything prior (and after).

As a concept album, Hotel California is way more appealing, to a lot of people I bet, than Desperado ever was. To me HC is more identifiable than a cowboy outlaw thing. HC is more metro I guess, or at least city-influenced. And I like to live vicariously through the whole excess of the 70s/80s and pretend I was there in that time even though I would not call myself a partier or a rock n' roller hard edged person at all. :lol:

At this point I would really like to see Wasted Time go, but I'm willing to vote for something else to save Hotel California. I've already voted and now I wish I would have saved my vote for a strategic one. :brickwall:

thelastresort
07-10-2019, 06:39 PM
I can't get over all the votes for HC already either, Brooke. :woah:

All this talk about it being overrated has me sad. :( It's not overrated. It might be overplayed on radio, you might be tired of it - but it's not overrated. If it weren't for this song, the Eagles wouldn't have been IMO near as successful. When you mention the Eagles to the average rock n' roll fan (not country fan), they are going to say Hotel California. It's like peanut butter and jelly at this point. Now I'm sure if you would ask a country/western fan that same question - you might get Take It Easy Or Peaceful Easy Feeling as their answer, but I don't tend to hang out in that crowd and I think there are more rock fans out there that I see.

YEF - the fact that it is different than the rest of their works is one of the reasons I like it. I hate country-rock so for me them doing this record and The Long Run is pretty much why I'm a fan. I don't like smooth ballads or go gaga for harmony vocals and twangy stuff so much. To me, this was their piece de resistance. Their masterpiece. The one song that stood head, hands, and shoulders above anything prior (and after).

As a concept album, Hotel California is way more appealing, to a lot of people I bet, than Desperado ever was. To me HC is more identifiable than a cowboy outlaw thing. HC is more metro I guess, or at least city-influenced. And I like to live vicariously through the whole excess of the 70s/80s and pretend I was there in that time even though I would not call myself a partier or a rock n' roller hard edged person at all. :lol:

At this point I would really like to see Wasted Time go, but I'm willing to vote for something else to save Hotel California. I've already voted and now I wish I would have saved my vote for a strategic one. :brickwall:

... And yet I am the polar opposite, I love the Eagles for their early country rock sound, priamrily their vocal harmonies and Bernie's various musical influences; if I want hard rock I listen to someone else altogether. I am an Eagles fan in spite of their late 70s output, not owing to it; I maybe listen to one 1976 onward song for every 10 I listen to before then. I put Hotel California as an album probably my fourth favourite of the Eagles, and probably just about in my top 30 favourite Eagles songs.

If everyone came on here and said 'oh my god [song] is the best thing ever' it would be a dismal place; that applies for whether or not I agree. I frankly couldn't care less what the average rock fan thinks or what he identifies with. Swings and roundabouts.

shunlvswx
07-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Whatever the outcome, one of Don's songs will be in the finals.

Save Hotel California. Vote Wasted Time.

WalshFan88
07-10-2019, 07:15 PM
... And yet I am the polar opposite, I love the Eagles for their early country rock sound, priamrily their vocal harmonies and Bernie's various musical influences; if I want hard rock I listen to someone else altogether. I am an Eagles fan in spite of their late 70s output, not owing to it; I maybe listen to one 1976 onward song for every 10 I listen to before then. I put Hotel California as an album probably my fourth favourite of the Eagles, and probably just about in my top 30 favourite Eagles songs.

If everyone came on here and said 'oh my god [song] is the best thing ever' it would be a dismal place; that applies for whether or not I agree. I frankly couldn't care less what the average rock fan thinks or what he identifies with. Swings and roundabouts.

And let me guess - the one 1976 onward song you listen to is.....The Last Resort? :hilarious:

07-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Well - I am definitely going to weigh in on this debate. First of all, I am a fan of all iterations of the band that included Henley and Frey. I happen to think transitioning from country rock to a more rock and roll band was a very smart move. I don't think they would have been nearly as successful had they not done so.

Now, I am going to pretty much repeat the argument I made in an earlier Survivor game about the top three megahits on this album. Here is why I believe these should be the last three songs to battle it out in this game. Each of them stands alone as a great song in their own right, but, collectively, they are the three songs that perfectly sum up the theme and message of one of the best rock and roll albums ever.

Life In The Fast Lane - This hard rock anthem about a couple going nowhere fast has some of the best lyrics the band ever wrote. To me, this is the song that Joe really shines on (along with Hotel California). His guitar work is off the scale on this song. Don’s vocals are perfect and the melody and guitar riffs are extremely catchy and memorable. So memorable, in fact, that the title phrase is now a part of our every day vernacular. They even manage to get those famous harmonies in. The song is significant in the band’s history because it showed the world that they were diverse enough to do everything from blue grass to hard rock (and anything in between).

New Kid In Town – I believe this is one of the best songs the band ever recorded. It has everything – exceptional lyrics, vocals, harmonies, music, and arrangement. I can’t find any flaws with it. The song fits perfectly into the theme of the album and I love how cleverly it intertwines personal relationships and careers. I think the progression of the lyrics in the three chorus’ is nothing short of brilliant. …

Johnny-come-lately
The new kid in town
Everybody loves you
So don’t let them down.

Johnny-come-lately
The new kid in town
Will she still love you
When you’re not around?

Where you been lately?
There’s a new kid in town
Everybody loves him, don’t they?
And he’s holding her
And you’re still around.

All you have to do is read them and they pretty much sum up the entire song (and album) for you.

Hotel California – I believe this is simply one of the top ten best rock and roll songs ever. Yes, it’s been overplayed, but that’s because of its iconic status. This song is not only brilliant in every way a great song can be, but it was IMPORTANT. Only a few other songs have made a cultural impact the way this song did. In a nutshell, this song changed our society. A single song made a difference – that is significant enough to deservedly earn it a place among the rock and roll elite. So, whether you like the song or not, it's hard to deny its impact. IMHO, it deserves to win this game.

07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
And BTW - I don't have to wait to vote this round. I absolutely love Wasted Time, but if you read my post above, there is no doubt in my mind that it should be the next to go ...

I cast my vote for Wasted Time.

YoungEaglesFan
07-10-2019, 09:25 PM
WF- I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying really. The piece of music alone is superb and one of kind. The intro chords take you on a journey on their own. The harmony lines and solos are top notch. I love the bass line and the beat as well. It’s just that the song is so different than what I normally come to expect and love about the Eagles I just don’t have that personal connection to it that I do others. I won’t criticize the song because it’s obviously amazing, just not my personal favorite

My My
07-10-2019, 11:07 PM
I guess I fall somewhere in the middle between Walshfan and tlr. Like tlr, I gravitate towards the songs with the beautiful harmonies. The Eagles have always been about the voices, for me. I was never a big rock chick back in the 70's. I went to an Aerosmith concert and had a couple of their albums and I also went to see Seger a couple of times back then.

Having said that, I do agree with Walshfan that Hotel California isn't over rated, just overplayed. I probably don't listen to it as much as I used to but I do remember how much I loved that song back then. The album came out my senior year and the single was number one right before I graduated. I still remember getting goosebumps hearing it at the beginning of concerts when it became their signature song, just as "Take it Easy" had been a few years earlier.

I don't tend to hang out with the "country/western" crowd either, Walshfan, but I do love "TIE" and "PEF". I also loved the Bernie songs. I liked the country rock sound, because it was new back then. It wasn't like classic country, but a sound of our own. I'm guessing that it's the steel guitar sound that you don't care for? I know you said you like the more metro or city influenced sound, but you've gone to see Skynyrd and The Outlaws if I'm not mistaken... great 70's bands that I loved, but very honkytonk rather than metro!

A last point, Walshfan. I'd like to make you an honorary 70's person because you love my music and times so much! We had some great times but we weren't THAT excessive...

I reluctantly vote for Wasted Time...

WalshFan88
07-10-2019, 11:40 PM
I guess I fall somewhere in the middle between Walshfan and tlr. Like tlr, I gravitate towards the songs with the beautiful harmonies. The Eagles have always been about the voices, for me. I was never a big rock chick back in the 70's. I went to an Aerosmith concert and had a couple of their albums and I also went to see Seger a couple of times back then.

Having said that, I do agree with Walshfan that Hotel California isn't over rated, just overplayed. I probably don't listen to it as much as I used to but I do remember how much I loved that song back then. The album came out my senior year and the single was number one right before I graduated. I still remember getting goosebumps hearing it at the beginning of concerts when it became their signature song, just as "Take it Easy" had been a few years earlier.

I don't tend to hang out with the "country/western" crowd either, Walshfan, but I do love "TIE" and "PEF". I also loved the Bernie songs. I liked the country rock sound, because it was new back then. It wasn't like classic country, but a sound of our own. I'm guessing that it's the steel guitar sound that you don't care for? I know you said you like the more metro or city influenced sound, but you've gone to see Skynyrd and The Outlaws if I'm not mistaken... great 70's bands that I loved, but very honkytonk rather than metro!

A last point, Walshfan. I'd like to make you an honorary 70's person because you love my music and times so much! We had some great times but we weren't THAT excessive...

I reluctantly vote for Wasted Time...

Great points, My My.

Let me start with the southern rock/country thing - I do love Skynyrd and yes they are far from metro. I think my hesitance towards country music of yesteryear is that it's too smooth for me, and too mild. I like raw electric guitars and while Skynyrd was very honky tonk and roots inspired, they had more edge. I don't care for Merle Haggard or George Strait so much. It's too mild. I think that yes it's the steel guitar, but also the fact they leaned towards acoustic instruments. I also really don't like mandolins, banjos, and fiddles all that much. I'm really a loud Gibson guitar through a Marshall amp guy. I don't mind the country inspired thing or the southern rock thing, but put some distortion on the guitar and crank that sucker to 11. :lol: Even when Skynyrd did country-ish songs - it wasn't boring and slow or sounded old. LOL. I never got to see the Outlaws, but I love them. Of the Southern Rock genre I've seen Lynyrd Skynyrd (x3), .38 Special (x2), Marshall Tucker Band, and The Black Crowes. I love southern rock. I like country, when it's hot!

I'm an AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, The Who, The Beatles, etc kind of guy. I get bored very quickly with the twangy vocals, clean sounding guitar, and slow music. I like it when they turn it up more and add some energy. I loved when Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, etc first came around and sang country songs but with the sound of a 70s rock throwback. Now it's actually gone soft again, but instead of soft classic country it's RNB/EDM/Pop. I just don't like the somber, slow, deep lyric with mellow instruments. I'm a guy who thinks if it's too loud you are too old. I'm just a rock n' roll fan. I'm also mostly a fan of radio hits, and not deep obscure cuts. I've said it many times on the board, but the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, even at their most rocking points, are about as mellow as I get. I don't get burnt out on overplayed songs like some. I'm a rarity I'm sure but I just don't. If I liked I song once, I'll love it over and over again and again day after day and never say "ugh that song again?!". It's pretty amazing.

And as far as liking PEF or TIE or TS, that's totally cool. I think perhaps TLR thought I was inferring you couldn't have a preference or be the opposite of me, when in fact all I was saying is how I feel the rockers are better songs, and obviously not everyone will agree and that's fine. I'm personally not a Bernie Leadon fan. IMO Bernie and Glyn Johns really wanted to hold them back. I personally believe they are better as rockers and with the HC and TLR material. Obviously there will be early Eagles fans who disagree and that's fine. Some think rock n' roll and distorted loud guitars is for kids - even all these years later. Some flat out don't like rock and roll. They prefer someone singing warmly and strumming an acoustic guitar. Me personally - nothing turns me off quicker. I want to hear big chords and screaming solos and I want rawness. Some might argue HC isn't a rocker in it's purest form - like LITFL or James Dean. But it's still way more appealing to me than "Whiskey River" or "The Bottle Let Me Down" or "Sunday Morning Coming Down".

I grew up on popular songs of classic rock. My parents were always listening to AC/DC (dad's favorite band) or GNR (mom's favorite band). I have to say it definitely rubbed off! It's all I listen to (old rock). As far as being a 70s guy - absolutely! I really don't share much in common with people my age really. I tend to have a more youthful outlook on things and society, but my tastes in entertainment, arts, and conversation is much older than I am. All of my friends are usually older than me. I don't share anything in common with the people who listen to Kendrick Lamar or Radiohead. I tend to associate myself only with those like me.

My My
07-11-2019, 01:03 AM
Walshfan, I figured you liked the electric guitars of the southern rockers. I can see how that would be appealing to you as a guitar guy. I really enjoy southern rock too, always did. I saw Marshall Tucker in the 70's and The Allman Brothers too. I guess I saw a thread where you mentioned The Outlaws and I thought you had seen them. Now that I think about it, it was a thread about a playlist or something. I really liked them and blasted them in my dorm, trying to drown out the other girls playing "You Light Up My Life." As far as AC/DC and GNR, I can't go there!

What is wonderful about the Eagles is that they appeal to a girl from the 70's who loved Fogelberg, Firefall, America and other such bands AND to a 30 year old guy who loves rock and roll!

WalshFan88
07-11-2019, 01:04 AM
Well - I am definitely going to weigh in on this debate. First of all, I am a fan of all iterations of the band that included Henley and Frey. I happen to think transitioning from country rock to a more rock and roll band was a very smart move. I don't think they would have been nearly as successful had they not done so.

Now, I am going to pretty much repeat the argument I made in an earlier Survivor game about the top three megahits on this album. Here is why I believe these should be the last three songs to battle it out in this game. Each of them stands alone as a great song in their own right, but, collectively, they are the three songs that perfectly sum up the theme and message of one of the best rock and roll albums ever.

Life In The Fast Lane - This hard rock anthem about a couple going nowhere fast has some of the best lyrics the band ever wrote. To me, this is the song that Joe really shines on (along with Hotel California). His guitar work is off the scale on this song. Don’s vocals are perfect and the melody and guitar riffs are extremely catchy and memorable. So memorable, in fact, that the title phrase is now a part of our every day vernacular. They even manage to get those famous harmonies in. The song is significant in the band’s history because it showed the world that they were diverse enough to do everything from blue grass to hard rock (and anything in between).

New Kid In Town – I believe this is one of the best songs the band ever recorded. It has everything – exceptional lyrics, vocals, harmonies, music, and arrangement. I can’t find any flaws with it. The song fits perfectly into the theme of the album and I love how cleverly it intertwines personal relationships and careers. I think the progression of the lyrics in the three chorus’ is nothing short of brilliant. …

Johnny-come-lately
The new kid in town
Everybody loves you
So don’t let them down.

Johnny-come-lately
The new kid in town
Will she still love you
When you’re not around?

Where you been lately?
There’s a new kid in town
Everybody loves him, don’t they?
And he’s holding her
And you’re still around.

All you have to do is read them and they pretty much sum up the entire song (and album) for you.

Hotel California – I believe this is simply one of the top ten best rock and roll songs ever. Yes, it’s been overplayed, but that’s because of its iconic status. This song is not only brilliant in every way a great song can be, but it was IMPORTANT. Only a few other songs have made a cultural impact the way this song did. In a nutshell, this song changed our society. A single song made a difference – that is significant enough to deservedly earn it a place among the rock and roll elite. So, whether you like the song or not, it's hard to deny its impact. IMHO, it deserves to win this game.

Agree with all points Dreamer.

UndertheWire
07-11-2019, 04:03 AM
I vote for Hotel California.

It's probably a personal thing about where I was in 1976/77. I became an Eagles fan in 1972 and this continued up to and including One of these Nights. Here in the UK, they hadn't caught on and so it made me feel slightly special to have my band that most of my contemporaries didn't know. Then came the long wait (a greatest hits release didn't mean much to someone who already had all their albums). Bernie left, Joe joined. They finally had some success in the UK and even my mother bought the Hotel California album. I didn't like the song Hotel California with it's fake reggae sound. We'd already had lots of that (at least Dreadlock Holiday was tongue-in-cheek). Besides, young people in the UK were staring to listen to different music and Eagles were old-fashioned.

Maybe the band would have been less successful without that song but would that have been such a bad thing? According to various interviews, the band themselves though that the extreme success was part of their downfall. If the album had sold just a bit more than One of These Nights, they would still have been hugely successful but maybe they would have felt less intimidated and less burnt-out. I can dream of an alternate universe with no HC but other, better songs.

New Kid In Town
07-11-2019, 08:34 AM
I haven’t been playing this game b/c I couldn’t bear to vote off any of the songs. :sad: I know that sounds silly. At this point I’m still not sure what I would vote off.

Hotel California - Pros: so iconic, a real game-changer that is famous all the world over. Incredible lyrics, amazing guitar solos. A mysterious, haunting vibe. People who aren’t familiar with the band at least know this song. Cons: overplayed and overexposed and maybe just maybe a little overrated. Predictable win and predictable is boring.

Life in the Fast Lane - Pros: a true 70s rocker, dangerous and thrilling, doesn’t get enough love, imo. Also a great guitar song. Henley sings a range of emotions and sounds anything from excited to detached to almost desperate to resigned. I love how his in this. Cons: hmmm 🤔 trying to think of some- not enough Randy?

New Kid in Town - Pros: wonderful vocal by Glenn, righteous harmonies and one of their best intros. A familiar but relatable story. Nice little guitar solo thrown in the middle by Felder. Stays true to their country rock roots. Cons: see LITFL.

Wasted Time - Pros: Another killer Henley vocal. A sad break-up story with a different angle from most. Thoughtful, stirring lyrics. Cons: A wee bit tedious. The line about her being back on the streets doesn’t sit well. Why must Henley show her in a bad light?

Hi Delilah - I agree ! It is difficult to choose one particular song. There is not a bad song/filler on the album. However, in MPO, some are stronger than others. Just jump in !:-)

Brooke
07-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Wow, I love everyone's comments here about these last songs. I really can't add much except that I've always loved all iterations of this band that included Henley and Frey, as Dreamer said.

I don't think the Eagles would have been the band they turned in to without Hotel California and even Life in the Fast Lane. They are just too iconic. I also love New Kid in Town and Wasted Time. So different, yet so 'Eagles'! These guys could do anything they wanted and make it good!

I'm going to vote strategically for New Kid in Town.

Don't hate me, I love Glenn and Glenn's songs and you all know that. :sad:

07-11-2019, 08:00 PM
In a real nailbiter, the next song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is Wasted Time. “Wasted Time”, the tribe has spoken and it looks like the end for you. So, you can get on with your search, baby, and we can get on with ours. How will you start it over? Well, you can start by lifting your little head out of your hands. Then, get back out on the street and find your way off this island.

Votes
Wasted Time – 5
Hotel California – 4
Life in the Fast Lane – 1
New Kid in Town – 1

Vote Breakdown
Wasted Time – WalshFan88
Wasted Time – Glennsallnighter
Wasted Time – shunlvswx
Wasted Time – Ive always been a dreamer
Wasted Time – My My
Hotel California – Desperada
Hotel California – thelastresort
Life in the Fast Lane – New Kid In Town
New Kid in Town – Brooke

Songs Eliminated:
The Last Resort 7/03
Try and Love Again 7/07
Victim of Love 7/09
Wasted Time 7/11

Songs Remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

groupie2686
07-11-2019, 08:42 PM
I'm so sorry I missed this! I meant to vote today but work was totally insane.

So I will vote early this time, for Life in the Fast Lane

My My
07-11-2019, 09:56 PM
I will join Groupie and vote for Life in the Fast Lane

YoungEaglesFan
07-11-2019, 10:31 PM
I vote for Life in the fast lane

scottside
07-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Hotel California

WalshFan88
07-12-2019, 03:43 AM
Yessssss!

I'm going to hold my vote until tomorrow night, so I can see what I need to vote for to save HC again. :yay:

Desperada
07-12-2019, 05:28 AM
Hotel California

Glennsallnighter
07-12-2019, 05:50 AM
Dreamer I keep meaning to say how much I love the way you so cleverly incorporate the lyics of the eliminated song into your post.

The last 3 songs are all really masterpieces in their own rights so I think I will have to listen to all 3 again before I decide which to eliminate

New Kid In Town
07-12-2019, 09:31 AM
While it is a great song, it is the weakest for the three remaining songs. Sorry Austin !

SAVE NEW KID IN TOWN !

Brooke
07-12-2019, 11:43 AM
New Kid in Town

Brooke
07-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Btw, somebody let me know to come vote next round via text or pm! I have my grands for the weekend so I'll probably forget! :rolleyes: :lol:

WalshFan88
07-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Life In The Fast Lane

sodascouts
07-12-2019, 09:18 PM
This is really tough. All good songs. But...

I cast my vote for Hotel California.

sodascouts
07-12-2019, 10:42 PM
Btw, somebody let me know to come vote next round via text or pm! I have my grands for the weekend so I'll probably forget! :rolleyes: :lol:

Do you know how to set up an alarm on your phone? That could work. I would probably forget to remind you! :lol:

New Kid In Town
07-13-2019, 06:57 AM

UndertheWire
07-13-2019, 12:47 PM
I vote for Hotel California

shunlvswx
07-13-2019, 01:42 PM
I'm voting for Life In The Fast Lane.

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm voting for Life in the Fast Lane too!!

07-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Dreamer I keep meaning to say how much I love the way you so cleverly incorporate the lyics of the eliminated song into your post.

The last 3 songs are all really masterpieces in their own rights so I think I will have to listen to all 3 again before I decide which to eliminate

Thanks GA - Sometimes the lyrics in a song are very conducive to the little snippits and other times it gets rather challenging. As I've said before, if anyone has any ideas for a song when we're playing a game, feel free to PM me.

Do you know how to set up an alarm on your phone? That could work. I would probably forget to remind you! :lol:

And I got quite a giggle out of this. Brooke, it looks like you are going to have to remind Soda to remind you. The good news is the last round won't end until Monday.

And last of all, my vote. As much as it pains me ...

I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane.

07-13-2019, 08:10 PM
The next song to be eliminated in Hotel California Survivor is Life in the Fast Lane. "Life in the Fast Lane” they say we can be ruthless, they say we can be crude, but the tribe has spoken. We know you were eager for action and hot for the game, but all those outrageous parties must have made you too tired to make it. Now, it’s time to go up and down the highway and look for the stop sign to find your way off the island. The remaining two songs may return to camp.

Hotel California vs. New Kid in Town

Votes
Life in the Fast Lane – 8
Hotel California – 4
New Kid in Town – 1

Vote Breakdown
Life in the Fast Lane – groupie2686
Life in the Fast Lane – My My
Life in the Fast Lane – YoungEaglesFan
Life in the Fast Lane – New Kid In Town
Life in the Fast Lane – WalshFan88
Life in the Fast Lane – shunlvswx
Life in the Fast Lane – Glennsallnighter
Life in the Fast Lane – Ive always been a dreamer
Hotel California – Desperada
Hotel California – sodascouts
New Kid in Town – Brooke

Songs Eliminated
The Last Resort 7/03
Try and Love Again 7/07
Victim of Love 7/09
Wasted Time 7/11

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

Hotel California vs. New Kid in Town

Voting for the final round begins now.

YoungEaglesFan
07-13-2019, 08:17 PM
I vote for new kid in town. A seamless and brilliant song. The harmonies, the lyrics, the guitar fills and solo are all so good. Hotel california is a great song, but new kid in town is special to me.

Delilah
07-13-2019, 09:36 PM
New Kid in Town for the win!!

scottside
07-13-2019, 10:45 PM
New Kid In Town, for the win. For me, it just doesn't get any better than this.

WalshFan88
07-13-2019, 11:21 PM
I just want to say that I'm happy that HC made it to the end, as it should have. The best song they ever did, IMO.

I'm personally torn. HC literally saved my life and it's my favorite. It's also the song I credit taking the Eagles to superstar status and being their best work. NKIT, on the other hand, has grown on me. I used to put it with Tequila Sunrise and Lyin' Eyes as a song I didn't really like or get but I really have grown to love it over the last couple years. It's not really country (thankfully), it's more of a soft rock thing and I DO actually like the lyrics and Felder's guitar work on the song. I also am tempted to vote out of respect for Glenn. But I'd be selling the song short saying that's the only reason I would be voting for it, as it deserves to win based on how good it is and I'd be voting for all of it's qualities, not only in remembrance of Glenn. While I don't love it quite as much as HC, I think it's made it's way into my top 5 Eagles songs and as a hard rock guy - that's saying something. It's also a song I think doesn't get enough love from people other than Eagles fans. It's not as big as Take It Easy or Hotel California.

The best two songs on the album made it to the end, IMO. Now I've got to make a decision. I will probably both shock some people by my choice, and maybe even upset others (because I've campaigned for the other song from the beginning) by my choice. I'm very happy with either song winning, and both deserve to be there. I've gotta go with my gut on this one, put the (potential) flame suit on, and go ahead and make my vote.

I vote for New Kid In Town for the win.

groupie2686
07-14-2019, 12:07 AM
Hmm...this is tough, I like both and I think they'd both deserve to win. However I think you've all convinced me, I'll go with New Kid in Town.

YoungEaglesFan
07-14-2019, 01:16 AM
I just want to say that I'm happy that HC made it to the end, as it should have. The best song they ever did, IMO.

I'm personally torn. HC literally saved my life and it's my favorite. It's also the song I credit taking the Eagles to superstar status and being their best work. NKIT, on the other hand, has grown on me. I used to put it with Tequila Sunrise and Lyin' Eyes as a song I didn't really like or get but I really have grown to love it over the last couple years. It's not really country (thankfully), it's more of a soft rock thing and I DO actually like the lyrics and Felder's guitar work on the song. I also am tempted to vote out of respect for Glenn. But I'd be selling the song short saying that's the only reason I would be voting for it, as it deserves to win based on how good it is and I'd be voting for all of it's qualities, not only in remembrance of Glenn. While I don't love it quite as much as HC, I think it's made it's way into my top 5 Eagles songs and as a hard rock guy - that's saying something. It's also a song I think doesn't get enough love from people other than Eagles fans. It's not as big as Take It Easy or Hotel California.

The best two songs on the album made it to the end, IMO. Now I've got to make a decision. I will probably both shock some people by my choice, and maybe even upset others (because I've campaigned for the other song from the beginning) by my choice. I'm very happy with either song winning, and both deserve to be there. I've gotta go with my gut on this one, put the (potential) flame suit on, and go ahead and make my vote.

I vote for New Kid In Town for the win.

I totally agree, it’s an underrated song outside of hardcore eagles fans. I’ve never heard it on the radio or in public. But its one of the best songs they ever did.

Desperada
07-14-2019, 05:50 AM
New Kid in Town to win!

New Kid In Town
07-14-2019, 09:12 AM
I vote for New Kid In Town for the win !
Austin thank you for your thoughtful commentary on both songs. I am a little shocked -but I think this song is so underrated and amazing. It did not win the Grammy for nothing. I agree with YEF - the harmonies, the lyrics, the guitar fills and solo are all brilliant.

UndertheWire
07-14-2019, 09:29 AM
New Kid in Town to win.

thelastresort
07-14-2019, 12:32 PM
New Kid in Town

sodascouts
07-14-2019, 11:03 PM
NEW KID IN TOWN for the win!!!

Glennsallnighter
07-15-2019, 05:28 AM
I'm voting New Kid in Town for the win. I love this song - great vocals by Glenn :heart: great harmonies, wonderful lyrics. Just love it!!

shunlvswx
07-15-2019, 09:09 AM
I hate to do this, but I'm voting for New Kid IN Town.

I'm not voting for this song because its a Glenn song and its his only song on the album, but its one of my favorite Eagle songs and it ranks very high up there(like no. 1). I probably would had voted for this song no matter what. I love HC, but I love NKIT more.

Brooke
07-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Wow, just WOW! :shock:

As much as I love NKIT I have to vote for Hotel California.

Obviously, it won't win now, but I feel it really should. HC made them in to the super group and is probably the most recognized song by the Eagles ever!

Austin, I really can't believe it! :shock:

And yes, I'm so glad this game lasted through today! :lol:

My My
07-15-2019, 07:16 PM
I'm going with Brooke on this one. I also love NKIT... Glenn's voice, the beautiful harmonies (especially Randy's "tears on your shoulder, ooo"). Truthfully, if it had been closer, I don't know how I would have voted. I guess I just want to show some love to the song that gave me goosebumps at concerts so many years ago!

I vote for Hotel California

07-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Well - If this had been a clean sweep, I would also have gone with NKIT - it is one of my top 5 favorite Eagles songs. However, I'm like Brooke ... I really believe that Hotel California should win the game. But, I'm not too sad because NKIT would probably win almost every time if it were on one of the other albums. So, to show some love ...

I cast my vote for Hotel California.

07-15-2019, 08:17 PM
Well, the this final round turned out to be a landslide. There were great expectations - everybody was watching it. Well the runner has checked out, however, such an awesome song can never leave. But there's a new kid in town and everybody loves it, don't they? Yes - the winner of our Hotel California Survivor is ...

New Kid in Town

Votes
New Kid in Town – 12
Hotel California – 3

Vote Breakdown
New Kid in Town – YoungEaglesFan
New Kid in Town – Delilah
New Kid in Town – scottside
New Kid in Town – WalshFan88
New Kid in Town – groupie2686
New Kid in Town – Desperada
New Kid in Town – New Kid In Town
New Kid in Town – UndertheWire
New Kid in Town – thelastresort
New Kid in Town – sodascouts
New Kid in Town – Glennsallnighter
New Kid in Town – shunlvswx
Hotel California – Brooke
Hotel California – My My
Hotel California – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs Eliminated
The Last Resort 7/03
Try and Love Again 7/07
Victim of Love 7/09
Wasted Time 7/11
Hotel California 7/15

Congrats to New Kid in Town!!!

To celebrate:

Here is some live video from Pittsburgh 1994:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/NewKidinTownPittsburgh94.wmv.

Thanks everyone for playing. Hope you enjoyed the game.

WalshFan88
07-15-2019, 09:10 PM
Congrats to the winner.

Both deserved to be at the end of the game.

Brooke, I know you are shocked. It wasn't an easy decision. But I felt that for a couple different reasons, I'd vote for NKIT. Everyone knows how I feel about HC. But NKIT has grown on me so much over the last couple years, and I really feel it is still somewhat underrated, and while I don't feel HC is overrated at all, I feel NKIT deserved some love this time around and I really have always voted for HC. I honestly was planning on voting for Hotel California, right up until Dreamer posted the final two songs and said to vote for one of them. It wasn't something I had planned on doing until the last minute. It was an impulse vote.

Brooke
07-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Yip, shocked for sure even though I also love NKIT and everything about it! I'd say it is also is one of my top 5 songs. Great game everyone! Tough one for sure!

Congrats to NEW KID IN TOWN!

They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along!

:rockguitar::band:

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Congratulations to New Kid in Town, and thanks to Dreamer for organising it and progressing each round!

07-16-2019, 09:28 PM
My pleasure.

I was thinking only in the fandom of hardcores could any Eagles song beat out Hotel California in a head-to-head competition. But, as I said earlier, New Kid in Town is a great song so I'm not too disappointed that it won. It is definitely worthy.

Congrats to New Kid in Town!!!

New Kid In Town
07-17-2019, 08:58 AM
Dreamer, thank you organizing this and every contest we do !

Congrats to NKIT !

WalshFan88
07-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Yes, thank you to Dreamer and Soda for organizing and Dreamer for tallying the votes. I love Survivor, even if it's not an album I like. In this case, any reason to pull out Hotel California and listen to it all the way through is good enough for me. ;)

CAinOH
07-18-2019, 08:11 AM
I sat out this game, but I checked in to see Dreamer's "you've been voted off" speeches (love them!). And I absolutely concur and love the results! Great game, everyone! Thanks, Dreamer!

sodascouts
07-18-2019, 11:52 PM
Thanks for running this, Dreamer!

It has been a long time, but I think HC got more votes last time, although it still lost. Still, it does always come down to these two incredible songs on this fantastic album.

Congrats to New Kid in Town!

07-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Thanks again for your comments everyone. As long as we have enough folks willing to participate in these Survivor games, I guess we'll keep on going.

And actually, we've played the Hotel Survivor game 3 times over the years. Each time Life in the Fast Lane finished in third place. New Kid in town was runner up to Hotel California in the first two games, but finally managed to get revenge this game.

However, over the years, Hotel California has definitely struggled whenever it goes head-to-head with Take It Easy in the Survivor games. IIRC, so far over the years, no matter what kind of poll we take with fans on this board, Take It Easy usually prevails over Hotel California. Interesting, huh?

sodascouts
07-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks again for your comments everyone. As long as we have enough folks willing to participate in these Survivor games, I guess we'll keep on going.

And actually, we've played the Hotel Survivor game 3 times over the years. Each time Life in the Fast Lane finished in third place. New Kid in town was runner up to Hotel California in the first two games, but finally managed to get revenge this game.

However, over the years, Hotel California has definitely struggled whenever it goes head-to-head with Take It Easy in the Survivor games. IIRC, so far over the years, no matter what kind of poll we take with fans on this board, Take It Easy usually prevails over Hotel California. Interesting, huh?

My bad memory strikes again! You'd think I know by now to look these things up instead of just relying on it! Thanks for the accurate info, Dreamer. We can count on you to have the low down on game stats.