PDA

View Full Version : Eagles' Albums Survivor

Ive always been a dreamer
11-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Time for the Eagles Albums Survivor, where we vote off the each Eagles album until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list all of the Eagles albums in the competition here. Vote for the album that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The album that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more album will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner of the Eagles' Album Survivor is ...

DESPERADO

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23
Long Road Out of Eden 11/25
The Long Run 11/27
Eagles 12/01
One of These Nights 12/03

On the Border 12/05
Hotel California 12/07

Hope everyone enjoyed the game.

Thanks for playing!

11-19-2019, 05:45 PM
IMPORTANT!

Hey everyone – I went ahead and posted the opening post for the Survivor game because I have to go out tonight unexpectedly. So even though the post is here to begin the game, please withhold your vote until after 8:00 p.m. EST. Any votes cast before the official starting time will be invalid and, therefore, you will have to vote again to be counted. Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.

sodascouts
11-19-2019, 10:37 PM
I'll start.

I cast my vote for Hell Freezes Over.

It's great that it got the band back together, but otherwise, it's not really the greatest live album in terms of representing the band's catalog. Too short and too much solo work. I also think that live albums are more expendable in this game but that's JMHO.

scottside
11-19-2019, 11:13 PM
HELL FREEZES OVER. The four new songs are not the band's best work although I could probably make a case for "Get Over It." Everything else is live and familiar.

WalshFan88
11-20-2019, 03:59 AM
While I don't care for the heavy amount of DH material on HFO, I can't vote for it yet. Get Over It and Love Will Keep Us Alive are Eagles staples.

I know this will disappoint some, but this album just doesn't do it for me.

Long Road Out Of Eden​

shunlvswx
11-20-2019, 08:25 AM
I’m voting for Eagles album. ​Not my favorite album.

KingWalsh
11-20-2019, 08:43 AM
This is so hard.....but if I had to pick, I will go with the album I play the least...my vote Long Road Out of Eden​...this was a difficult choice!! It has great stuff on there, but I don't play it straight through as much as the others.

New Kid In Town
11-20-2019, 08:54 AM
I vote for the their first album. "Eagles" was a good first one for them but IMHO is by far the weakest, although it did have the "big three" - TIE, PEF & WW - which gave them their big break.

Dreamer, thanks for doing this. I know it can be time consuming. These are always fun and always interesting to see everyone's choices.

11-20-2019, 11:13 AM
You're welcome, NKIT. I enjoy the games, too.

For this round, I'll join Soda and scottside. I love the significance of HFO and, of course, love the album too. But, since we have to make such hard choices in this game, I'm going to first vote to eliminate the live albums. So ...

I cast my vote for Hell Freezes Over.

groupie2686
11-20-2019, 12:00 PM
I'm voting for the Eagles Live album...there are no new songs on it (unless you count Seven Bridges Road).

Brooke
11-20-2019, 12:57 PM
I vote for Hell Freezes Over too.

I really love that it meant their resumption and I was so thrilled that it happened, but it's mostly the old stuff done over. I do love Get Over It though!

My My
11-20-2019, 02:40 PM
I don't really feel any connection to their last 3 albums, so I guess I will vote with the majority so far. My choice is Hell Freezes Over.

UndertheWire
11-20-2019, 06:19 PM
I vote for Eagles Live. Nothing new and I hate the idea that it was substantially "fixed" in the studio.

FreyFollower
11-20-2019, 07:18 PM
I've never participated in these games, my favorites change with my mood at the moment. But I decided to give it a go and join the fun!
I cast my first vote for "Hell Freezes Over". The mixture of live and studio cuts has always seemed a little jarring to me.

LovinGlennGirl
11-20-2019, 09:48 PM
Eagles Live gets my vote, nothing new and studio created.

Desperada
11-21-2019, 04:48 AM
I vote Hell Freezes Over

thelastresort
11-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Eagles 'Live'.

Glennsallnighter
11-21-2019, 06:38 PM
I vote off Eagles Live - rather than being a studio/themed album its just a mish mash of live songs to fulfil a contract after the band had split

11-21-2019, 09:00 PM
The first album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is Hell Freezes Over. “Hell Freezes Over”, the tribe has spoken and love did not keep you alive. Now, you are the one from yesterday. No need for you to learn to be still because you must leave the island quicker than a New York minute. Get over it!

Votes
Hell Freezes Over – 7
Eagles Live – 5
Eagles – 2
Long Road Out of Eden – 2

Vote Breakdown
Hell Freezes Over – sodascouts
Hell Freezes Over – scottside
Hell Freezes Over – Ive always been a dreamer
Hell Freezes Over – Brooke
Hell Freezes Over – My My
Hell Freezes Over – FreyFollower
Hell Freezes Over – Desperada
Eagles Live – groupie2686
Eagles Live – UndertheWire
Eagles Live – LovinGlennGirl
Eagles Live – thelastresort
Eagles Live – Glennsallnighter
Long Road Out of Eden – WalshFan88
Long Road Out of Eden – KingWalsh
Eagles – shunlvswx
Eagles – New Kid In Town

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21

Albums Remaining:
Eagles
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Night
Hotel California
The Long Run
Eagles Live
Long Road Out of Eden

Voting for Round Two begins now.

WalshFan88
11-21-2019, 09:36 PM
I have to save Eagles Live!!! It's one of my favorite live albums ever.

There has been talk about overdubbing on this album lately, but I'm pretty convinced that was just on SBR. The rest of the songs sound 100 percent live and not edited or added to.

Again, I must vote for Long Road Out Of Eden

LovinGlennGirl
11-21-2019, 11:21 PM
I'm voting for Eagles Live again.

scottside
11-21-2019, 11:41 PM
EAGLES LIVE

shunlvswx
11-22-2019, 12:03 AM
I'm voting for Eagles album again.

FreyFollower
11-22-2019, 03:41 AM
I vote Eagles Live.

KingWalsh
11-22-2019, 09:22 AM
I second that WalshFan88....as I stated previously, LROOE has some great stuff but it’s not a go to album for me....my vote Long Road Out of Eden
( I repeat hard choice.)

UndertheWire
11-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Eagles Live

Brooke
11-22-2019, 01:10 PM
I really hate to vote for Eagles Live as it used to be my favorite because it had all the greatest songs on it, but....

All this talk lately about Seven Bridges Road......I always absolutely loved that song and to find out it wasn't so perfect just kind of spoiled it for me. I went back to the thread from 2007 "Rank the six studio albums" (before LROOE) https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?235-Rank-the-six-studio-albums&highlight=rank+albums to see how I voted then but we didn't include the live albums. After reading my thoughts there, I don't think my mind has changed much, if any.

I vote for Eagles Live. But I still love it!

thelastresort
11-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Eagles 'Live'

groupie2686
11-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Eagles Live

My My
11-23-2019, 09:59 AM
I vote Long Road Out Of Eden.

sodascouts
11-23-2019, 12:22 PM
I'm also going to vote for EAGLES LIVE. Again, I think the live albums are more expendable, and as others have pointed out - is this even a "live" album with all of the studio foolery?

I cast my vote for Eagles Live.

New Kid In Town
11-23-2019, 01:30 PM
I vote for Hell Freezes Over.

Delilah
11-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Its too bad the Live album isn't as "live" as it should be. That being said, it is refreshing to have something live from these guys and it gives them some rock credibility to have a popular live album.

I vote for Long Road Out of Eden.

I vote for Hell Freezes Over.
NKIT you must really dislike HFO to vote for it after it's already been eliminated!:hilarious: :smile:

11-23-2019, 05:43 PM
I'll vote earlier than usual since I am going out to dinner for my birthday. We are going early so I should be back to post this round's results on time. However, if not, I'll post as soon as I get home.

Since it looks like Eagles Live is going down this time, I'm going to join shun. I like the band's debut album and think it was a very impressive first effort for a new band. I've said before that I can only imagine the nervousness and anticipation these guys must have felt wondering how the album would be received. If they had only known how things would turn out for them. Of course, the big three songs are still classics almost 50 years later. I also really like a couple of other songs, but, TBH, I think at least half of the album is just average. To me, LROOE is a stronger album overall and although it is much more mature, I think it stands up well against the band's earlier work. So ...

I cast my vote for Eagles.

11-23-2019, 09:09 PM
The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is Eagles Live. “Eagles Live”, it’s Saturday night and the tribe has spoken. Life’s been good to you so far, but you are going to have a heartache tonight. There’s no room for wasted time so you need to head out to Seven Bridges Road immediately. It may take you all night long to get off the island, but you will make it in the long run.

Votes
Eagles Live – 8
Long Road Out of Eden – 4
Eagles – 2

Vote Breakdown
Eagles Live – LovinGlennGirl
Eagles Live – scottside
Eagles Live – FreyFollower
Eagles Live – UndertheWire
Eagles Live – Brooke
Eagles Live – thelastresort
Eagles Live – groupie2686
Eagles Live – sodascouts
Long Road Out of Eden – My My
Long Road Out of Eden – Delilah
Eagles – shunlvswx
Eagles – Ive always been a dreamer

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23

Albums Remaining:
Eagles
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Night
Hotel California
The Long Run
Long Road Out of Eden

Voting for Round Three begins now.

WalshFan88
11-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Long Road Out Of Eden

RE: editing on Live - as far as I'm aware it was only on SBR, no other songs were dubbed. At least I don't remember hearing anything definitive about the rest of the songs.

scottside
11-24-2019, 12:31 AM
LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN. As much as I was glad that this came out and as a two cd set, I still felt a sense of disappointment after hearing the whole thing.

UndertheWire
11-24-2019, 06:39 AM
I'm standing on the firing line. You can see this as a tactical vote, if that makes it easier.

I vote for Hotel California.

Yes, it has sold the most of the non-compilation albums and the title track is the one that people don't know much about the band will recognise. It also marks the point where they became jaded and gave into excess. And I miss Bernie Leadon.

KingWalsh
11-24-2019, 09:42 AM
​Long Road Out of Eden

groupie2686
11-24-2019, 12:22 PM
I'm voting for Long Road Out of Eden. I like this album a lot and absolutely love some of the songs on it, Waiting in the Weeds is perhaps one of my favorite songs ever, but it doesn't seem as cohesive an effort as their earlier work, if that makes sense. Like it's a collection of their solo songs put together, with very few sounding like they came from the entire band.

New Kid In Town
11-24-2019, 01:47 PM
Its too bad the Live album isn't as "live" as it should be. That being said, it is refreshing to have something live from these guys and it gives them some rock credibility to have a popular live album.

NKIT you must really dislike HFO to vote for it after it's already been eliminated!:hilarious: :smile:

:oops: Delilah - I missed that ! I did not read through everything when I posted.
I vote for "Eagles".

WalshFan88
11-24-2019, 02:00 PM
I'm standing on the firing line. You can see this as a tactical vote, if that makes it easier.

Yes, it has sold the most of the non-compilation albums and the title track is the one that people don't know much about the band will recognise. It also marks the point where they became jaded and gave into excess. And I miss Bernie Leadon.

A tactical vote doesn't soften the blow, UtW. :lol:

I will say though, I don't think they became more jaded at the time of this album or had any more indulgence in the excesses then. They'd been doing all that stuff waaaaay before Joe ever came on board for HC.

Some people do prefer the early country rock sound. I loathe it. Me, I prefer the strung out Sunset Strip 70s/80s dirty sleazy arena rock n' roll sound and I couldn't have been happier they moved on from Bernie, lol. I like the whole Whiskey/Rainbow/LA scene and I wish I could have been there for it. I live it vicariously through the songs, rockstar autobiographies, documentaries, oh - and Pamela Des Barres' book, lol.

It's like Aerosmith. Personally the music from when they cleaned their act up doesn't sound near as good as their 70s output when they were coked out. Not saying someone needs to do that or that is a valid or good reason to do drugs especially considering those that didn't make it, but I do think those excesses (particularly drugs and alcohol) lead to inspiration for great music and lyrics back then, lol. The self titled LP through Draw The Line were all great albums. Most of their 80s/90s output paled in comparison to their harder edged albums of the 70s. Again, not justifying it - but for better or worse it affected the music. Just depends what you like. Perfectionism and clean nosed lyric or a more raw attitude-infused rock n' roll thing. Some people like for lack of better words - a more prettier sound, even in rock music like soft rock.

Glennsallnighter
11-25-2019, 07:31 AM
I'm going to (surprisingly) vote off One of These Nights. While it does have 3 good songs on it, including one of my all time favourites in Lyin Eyes, I feel that the other songs re somewhat weaker than those that are on other albums. This album tends to trade off its 3 big ones.

My My
11-25-2019, 08:59 AM
I'm voting for Long Road Out Of Eden.

shunlvswx
11-25-2019, 09:55 AM
I'm voting for Eagles. The album is very weak and the three hit songs can't help this album.

Brooke
11-25-2019, 01:22 PM

I remember being desperate to finally get another album from them and I absolutely love some of the songs on it, I agree with groupie on it just not sounding like a band album. Several songs I can imagine coming from Don or Glenn solo, but not from the band. And it seems they couldn't actually get themselves together to record it together! And Timothy's IDWTHA sounds so similar to his prior songs that I was very disappointed in that. Also Joe's contributions. Personally, I don't think Timothy and Joe were ever really allowed to add anything new to the band as far as their own songs. Don and Glenn doled out what they wanted them to sing.

thelastresort
11-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Looks like I don't need to assist the rest of you in taking LROOE out back and executing it (IMO, it would have been way better as a single-disk output with some of the dreadful filler and full-on Preacher Henley stuff left off - you need only look at the War & Peace-length personnel list to tell you it wasn't a band effort at all).

Given that, I will vote for Hotel California. I'll take New Kid, Wasted Time on occasion, Pretty Maids and The Last Resort but you can keep the rest of it. I get that it catapulted them into stardom, but it's not for me. I fell in love with the Eagles for their soaring harmonies, Bernie's obvious country influence and the imagery Helney and Frey could muster from nowhere. By and large I cannot stand stereotypical 1980s rock or the tedious tales of excess or hair metal and arena tat like Motley 'maybe one day we'll actually stop' Crue or Whitesnake, so yes I do yearn very much for the late 60-early 70s and the strong country / folk / blues influences!

KingWalsh
11-25-2019, 07:38 PM

I remember being desperate to finally get another album from them and I absolutely love some of the songs on it, I agree with groupie on it just not sounding like a band album. Several songs I can imagine coming from Don or Glenn solo, but not from the band. And it seems they couldn't actually get themselves together to record it together! And Timothy's IDWTHA sounds so similar to his prior songs that I was very disappointed in that. Also Joe's contributions. Personally, I don't think Timothy and Joe were ever really allowed to add anything new to the band as far as their own songs. Don and Glenn doled out what they wanted them to sing.

I already casted my vote, but agree with Brooke. I feel that Joe was on a leash, he clearly had material, and Timothy didn't get a chance either. I love Eagles, yet I do get that feeling as well Brooke.

Delilah
11-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Wow, HC and OOTN already under attack. My vote would go to LROOE based on merit but it looks like it’s next to go so I’ll cast a strategic vote.

I vote for The Long Run.

While it has some strong material, it suffers from lack of originality (the co-opting of Otis Clay’s “Trying to Live My Life Without You” as their own in the title track, as well as “Greeks” which sounds like the Beatles’ Birthday Song). It also has two mind-numbingly bad tracks.

The debut album edges it out for me due to its freshness and and clean, balanced sound. I love the production and the way the harmonies play out.

11-25-2019, 08:34 PM
I'm voting for Long Road Out of Eden. I like this album a lot and absolutely love some of the songs on it, Waiting in the Weeds is perhaps one of my favorite songs ever, but it doesn't seem as cohesive an effort as their earlier work, if that makes sense. Like it's a collection of their solo songs put together, with very few sounding like they came from the entire band.

I don't totally disagree with you about this groupie, but I would submit that the Eagles LP suffers from the same problem. In fact, that is pretty much exactly what happened on this album. The band was just forming and each of the four band members were told to bring anything they had to the table. As a matter of fact there are only two song on the entire album that were co-written by any of the band members - Don and Bernie collaborated on Witchy Woman and Randy and Bernie on Earlybird. I would further argue that with the exception of the big three songs, the overall quality of material on the album is far inferior to Long Road Out of Eden. So, even though it won't change the outcome of this round ...

11-25-2019, 09:00 PM
The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is Long Road Out of Eden. “Long Road Out of Eden”, the tribe has spoken and it’s business as usual. We knew how long it was before somebody had to go. There will be no more walks in the wood and you’ve had your last good time in town here. But leaving the island may set you free to do something instead of just waiting in the weeds. So, go spend your time keeping busy being fabulous with your fast company. It’s your world now and we hope there will be no more cloudy days for you.

Votes
Long Road Out of Eden – 6
Eagles – 3
Hotel California – 2
One of These Nights – 1
The Long Run – 1

Vote Breakdown
Long Road Out of Eden– scottside
Long Road Out of Eden – groupie2686
Long Road Out of Eden – My My
Long Road Out of Eden – Brooke
Eagles – New Kid In Town
Eagles – shunlvswx
Hotel California – UndertheWire
Hotel California – thelastresort
One of These Nights – Glennsallnighter
The Long Run – Delilah

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23

Albums Remaining:
Eagles
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Night
Hotel California
The Long Run

Voting for Round Four begins now.

WalshFan88
11-25-2019, 10:33 PM
Looks like I don't need to assist the rest of you in taking LROOE out back and executing it (IMO, it would have been way better as a single-disk output with some of the dreadful filler and full-on Preacher Henley stuff left off - you need only look at the War & Peace-length personnel list to tell you it wasn't a band effort at all).

Given that, I will vote for Hotel California. I'll take New Kid, Wasted Time on occasion, Pretty Maids and The Last Resort but you can keep the rest of it. I get that it catapulted them into stardom, but it's not for me. I fell in love with the Eagles for their soaring harmonies, Bernie's obvious country influence and the imagery Helney and Frey could muster from nowhere. By and large I cannot stand stereotypical 1980s rock or the tedious tales of excess or hair metal and arena tat like Motley 'maybe one day we'll actually stop' Crue or Whitesnake, so yes I do yearn very much for the late 60-early 70s and the strong country / folk / blues influences!

Haha, and I feel just the opposite about Motley and Whitesnake. I love the Sunset Strip 80s hair metal and the excesses. Some people like more melodic music or softer music and or more lyrical music. For me I like mostly uptempo songs, party songs, and rock anthems. You'll never find me listening to a tear in my beer country song. I also loathed Nirvana. Just so depressing and self-loathing. Kurt Cobain was pretty insufferable IMO. It's a shame, but it's no excuse for trying to bring everyone down with you. So yes, I'd rather hear a song with obvious double entendre or a cheesy song without deep meaning than that music.

I'm usually trying to use music to NOT think and get out of my head. Not think more or get too deep. I can't do sad songs or movies. I'm so vulnerable to that. Even some TV commercials get me. I support the ASPCA and Sarah McLachlan completely as an animal lover, but if I never see/hear that song and commercial again I would be happy. I know why they do it. They need to pull on heartstrings to get people involved. I'm too weak, I admit it I can't do it. I could never work in a dog pound or in hospice or be a vet that has to put animals down or an oncologist. Those people are heroes to me. I'd be in the nuthouse. I'm not saying I cry at the drop of a hat (The Notebook doesn't make me cry, lol, it's not the sentimental sweet stuff) but I do go out of my way to keep myself protected from melancholy and media/entertainment that has a sad ending or lyrical content that is grave or dark. Because it doesn't take much before I throw myself into a down place, even just because of external stimuli. I look for pumped up silly fun rock music.

WalshFan88
11-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Glad to see some votes for LROOE. IMO Hotel California is just too good to be voted off this early.

Regarding The Long Run, personally my love for it has grown over the last couple years. The inspiration from Otis Clay doesn't bother me. Glenn even said on Live that this is our tribute to Memphis. But one cannot deny that the low songs on this album are really low. I never expected it to win and understand voting against it. It's just personally not on my list to vote for quite yet. But it's understandable unlike HC. I personally do not hear ANY resemblance of Greeks to Beatles' "Birthday". But yes, TLR does sound like the Otis Clay song. But as said above, it doesn't bother me and I think the title track is much underrated. I love it's groove and I love the message. I think the music video is one of the best of all time.

WalshFan88
11-25-2019, 11:42 PM
I vote for Eagles​.

UndertheWire
11-26-2019, 04:11 AM

KingWalsh
11-26-2019, 08:13 AM
Glad to see some votes for LROOE. IMO Hotel California is just too good to be voted off this early.

Regarding The Long Run, personally my love for it has grown over the last couple years. The inspiration from Otis Clay doesn't bother me. Glenn even said on Live that this is our tribute to Memphis. But one cannot deny that the low songs on this album are really low. I never expected it to win and understand voting against it. It's just personally not on my list to vote for quite yet. But it's understandable unlike HC. I personally do not hear ANY resemblance of Greeks to Beatles' "Birthday". But yes, TLR does sound like the Otis Clay song. But as said above, it doesn't bother me and I think the title track is much underrated. I love it's groove and I love the message. I think the music video is one of the best of all time.

Walshfan88 and I are in agreement regarding The Long Run. I really like it, and wish it got the respect it deserves...that said my next vote is for,I know I will upset some here, but Desperado....​based solely on the same reason as I voted for LROOE, it's just not one I play as much as the others. It's a great album, but this is the reasoning I am using for my voting.

New Kid In Town
11-26-2019, 11:45 AM
I have to say I agree completely with Brooke and Dreamer regarding LROOE and Eagles.
I am casting my vote for Eagles for the exact reasons Dreamer stated(ty Dreamer). Outside of the big three this album is very uneven. Not bad for their first album but not worthy of remaining in the mix. I do have to say I almost voted for TLR as I feel it was a subpar effort(sorry Austin). I understand they were burned out both physically and mentally, but in their earlier days they never would have let Greeks, TS, and DS on an album. I hate all three of those songs and think they were probably the worst they ever did. However, it does have some very good songs. Thus, my vote for Eagles and not TLR.

scottside
11-26-2019, 03:12 PM
I vote for THE LONG RUN. Not an easy choice, but there is nothing as good as "Take It Easy" or "Peaceful Easy Feeling" on it,

shunlvswx
11-26-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm voting for Eagles. I also had said it was a very weak album. The three hit songs can't save their first album.

WalshFan88
11-26-2019, 07:41 PM
I have to say I agree completely with Brooke and Dreamer regarding LROOE and Eagles.
I am casting my vote for Eagles for the exact reasons Dreamer stated(ty Dreamer). Outside of the big three this album is very uneven. Not bad for their first album but not worthy of remaining in the mix. I do have to say I almost voted for TLR as I feel it was a subpar effort(sorry Austin). I understand they were burned out both physically and mentally, but in their earlier days they never would have let Greeks, TS, and DS on an album. I hate all three of those songs and think they were probably the worst they ever did. However, it does have some very good songs. Thus, my vote for Eagles and not TLR.

I hope you meant TJ for Teenage Jail (which I think maybe you did, but I don't know lol).

Those Shoes is probably their most underrated song at this point. Hearing it on the HOTE tour was a memory I'll never forget. I even enjoyed hearing it more than Hotel California. ;)

My My
11-26-2019, 09:26 PM
I vote for THE LONG RUN.

sodascouts
11-26-2019, 11:36 PM
I'm voting for The Long Run.

It has strong songs, yes, but several are weak, and a couple are downright awful. When you have not one, not two, but three songs that are regularly listed among fans' least favorites on an album of only 10 songs total, then something has gone very wrong.

FreyFollower
11-27-2019, 02:32 AM
I am conflicted, but I think I will also vote TLR. With a couple of exceptions, this just seems kind of a "dark" album (understandably so, with all they were dealing with).

Glennsallnighter
11-27-2019, 07:47 AM
I will vote off One of These Nights again

groupie2686
11-27-2019, 01:55 PM
I've given this a lot of thought, I couldn't decide between Eagles and The Long Run, but I'm going with The Long Run. I love Heartache Tonight and the title song, but imo they're not enough to save it, considering that the worst songs they've done are all on this album. They could have done better, especially at this point in their careers.

Brooke
11-27-2019, 02:18 PM
I vote for The Long Run.

There's no way, ever, that I could vote off Eagles since it has TIE, WW, and PEF, so you all will have to do it without me. Lol I don't care that they weren't the sole writers. They OWN those songs and they were my first introduction to them as a band. The other songs aren't awful either. Actually I really like all of them except for the bird chirping in Earlybird.

The Long Run has some great songs such as TLR and HT, but there are those 3! lol

thelastresort
11-27-2019, 02:59 PM
The Long Run

Delilah
11-27-2019, 06:46 PM
I vote for The Long Run.

11-27-2019, 08:35 PM
As far as The Long Run, The Disco Strangler is the only song that I don't care for. I can listen to it, but I agree it is among the band's worst songs. I personally don't feel that Teenage Jail is as bad as some others do, and I actually like GDWNF - I think it's very catchy and clever. IMHO, Eagles has three songs that I don't consider any better than TLR songs mentioned. Again, I don't hate them, but I consider Earlybird, Take the Devil, and Tryin' as some of the band's weakest songs. I can't save The Long Run, but I'm sad to see it go because I think it is underrated. So, once again ...

11-27-2019, 09:00 PM
The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is The Long Run. “The Long Run”, the tribe has spoken and you are gonna have a heartache tonight. You may think you are the king of Hollywood, but we didn’t see it that way – we geeks don’t want no freaks here. So, it’s time to put on those shoes and start making your way off the island. You can head to the Sad Café and sulk once you’re back in the city.

Votes
The Long Run – 8
Eagles – 4
Hotel California – 1
Desperado – 1
One of These Nights – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Long Run – scottside
The Long Run – My My
The Long Run – sodascouts
The Long Run – FreyFollower
The Long Run – groupie2686
The Long Run – Brooke
The Long Run – thelastresort
The Long Run – Delilah
Eagles – WalshFan88
Eagles – New Kid In Town
Eagles – shunlvswx
Hotel California – UndertheWire
Desperado – KingWalsh

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23
The Long Run 11/27

Albums Remaining:
Eagles
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Night
Hotel California

11-27-2019, 09:02 PM
Important Note:

We are going to temporarily suspend play of our game for the Thanksgiving Holidays observed in the U.S. Please do not cast any votes during the break. Play will resume on Friday, 11/29 at 8:00 p.m. EST.

We will make an announcement to begin the voting for Round 5.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

11-29-2019, 06:31 PM
Welcome back everyone! Hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving break. We are almost ready to resume play.

Albums Remaining:
Eagles (self-titled LP)
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Night
Hotel California

Voting for Round Five begins at 8:00 p.m. EST.

scottside
11-29-2019, 11:54 PM
I vote for EAGLES this time.

shunlvswx
11-30-2019, 01:34 AM
I'm voting for Eagles again. I don't know why this is this in the running. A very weak album. Not my favorite

New Kid In Town
11-30-2019, 08:48 AM
I vote for Eagles.

groupie2686
11-30-2019, 12:48 PM
I vote for Eagles.

KingWalsh
11-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Voting Desperado...​even with the uneveness of Eagles, I go to it more than desperado...this is too hard though i mean seriously 😖

WalshFan88
11-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Eagles

Glennsallnighter
11-30-2019, 06:40 PM
One Of These Nights again for me this round please

sodascouts
11-30-2019, 10:16 PM
I'm voting for One of These Nights.

It's great, but IMO it's more uneven than the others that are left.

thelastresort
12-01-2019, 06:33 PM
No idea if voting for this is still open (GMT is the best time zone, let's be honest ;)), but if it is I will vote for One of These Nights. This album is like chalk and cheese; at its best it is superb, at its worst it is dismal. Sadly the inconsistency does it for me, even the eponymous album holds up better.

12-01-2019, 07:09 PM
Well - it goes without saying that the hard part of these games is making these tough choices. I think both Eagles and One of These Nights are both really good albums and I like both of them a lot, but as noted, they are both uneven. So, which is the most uneven? To me, I think One of These Night is better overall - in addition to the top three megahits, there is After the Thrill Is Gone, which I consider to be hugely underrated. I also like Hollywood Waltz a lot. As far as the remaining songs on the album, I find them enjoyable. The bottom line for me is the weakest songs on OOTN are stronger than the weakest songs on Eagles. So, once again ...

12-01-2019, 09:00 PM
The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is Eagles. “Eagles”, the tribe has spoken and although most of us are sad, your time is over. We were tryin’ to take it easy on you, but we couldn’t take the devil out of some of the witchy women here. If you chug all night it won’t give you a peaceful easy feeling. The songs of the nightingale won’t help you hang on to your peace of mind either. You have to be an earlybird because the train leaves here this morning at dawn to take you off the island.

Votes
Eagles – 6
One of These Nights – 3
Desperado – 1

Vote Breakdown
Eagles – scottside
Eagles – shunlvswx
Eagles – New Kid In Town
Eagles – groupie2686
Eagles – WalshFan88
One of These Nights – sodascouts
One of These Nights – thelastresort
Desperado – KingWalsh

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23
The Long Run 11/27
Eagles 12/01

Albums Remaining:
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Night
Hotel California

Voting for Round Six begins now.

WalshFan88
12-01-2019, 10:08 PM
This is a no brainer for me. The other 3 albums are all stronger IMO. Keep in mind I like the later Eagles.

That said I vote for Desperado​.

scottside
12-01-2019, 10:39 PM
I vote for ONE OF THESE NIGHTS.

shunlvswx
12-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Darn this is hard. The one I wanted gone is gone.

I'm gonna go with (I hate to do this) One OF These Nights. I wanted to say On The Border, but I Like a lot of the songs on On The Border.

Glennsallnighter
12-02-2019, 05:36 AM
I'll continue to run with OOTN, as I do think the remaining albums are stronger

New Kid In Town
12-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Oh gosh, I love the rest - this makes it hard. I will have to think about this and vote later today.

New Kid In Town
12-02-2019, 08:05 PM
I vote for On The Border.

KingWalsh
12-02-2019, 11:21 PM
I don't know if I missed the cut off but my vote is for desperado​, same reasons as before.

sodascouts
12-03-2019, 07:33 AM
I'm going to keep on voting for One of These Nights - but boy, is this difficult!

groupie2686
12-03-2019, 12:34 PM
One of These Nights

Brooke
12-03-2019, 04:24 PM
I'll join the crowd and vote for One of These Nights.

12-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Since it looks like One of These Nights is going down without my vote, I am going to cast a purely strategic vote. Make no mistake about it - this is strategy only because I adore this album ...

I cast my vote for Desperado.

FreyFollower
12-03-2019, 08:52 PM
I agonized over this because like GA, I love Lyin' Eyes. One of my all time favorites. But as a collection, I also vote One of these Nights.

12-03-2019, 09:01 PM
The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is One of These Nights. “One of These Night”, the tribe has spoken and you played too many hands. You decided to take it to the limit and played one hand too many. We know you had visions of winning this game, but there was no journey for this sorcerer. So please do your hollywood waltz and dance yourself off the island. We wish you peace after the thrill is gone.

Votes
One of These Nights – 7
Desperado – 3
On the Border – 1

Vote Breakdown
One of These Nights – scottside
One of These Nights – shunlvswx
One of These Nights – sodascouts
One of These Nights – groupie2686
One of These Nights – Brooke
One of These Nights – FreyFollower
Desperado– WalshFan88
Desperado – KingWalsh
Desperado – Ive always been a dreamer
On the Border– New Kid In Town

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23
The Long Run 11/27
Eagles 12/01

Albums Remaining:
Desperado
On the Border
Hotel California

Voting for Round Seven begins now.

WalshFan88
12-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Desperado

New Kid In Town
12-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Gosh, I can't believe OOTN got voted off ! Oh well, this is a toss up for me between Desperado and On the Border. I'll have to think about this.

My My
12-04-2019, 08:57 AM
My vote goes to ON THE BORDER. I love the Desperado album!

shunlvswx
12-04-2019, 10:05 AM
I love all three albums, but I'm going to vote for Desperado.

Brooke
12-04-2019, 04:49 PM
I vote for On the Border next.

Two of my most favorite Eagles songs here, Already Gone and The Best of My Love, but something has to go.

scottside
12-04-2019, 05:20 PM
I also vote for ON THE BORDER, but on a purely personal level, I prefer it to HOTEL CALIFORNIA.

KingWalsh
12-04-2019, 05:25 PM
It’s Desperado for me.

12-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Okay folks - this round is tied at the moment between Desperado and On the Border. Since participation has been low the past few rounds, every single vote is critical. I love all three albums left, but I don't believe On the Border is quite the same caliber as Desperado and Hotel California. For all of you who want Desperado to move forward in the game, we can't afford to split the vote. We must align together to save the album.

SAVE DESPERADO!!!

VOTE FOR ON THE BORDER!!!

So, Desperado lovers, please join me ...

I cast my vote for On the Border.

FreyFollower
12-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Okay folks - this round is tied at the moment between Desperado and On the Border. Since participation has been low the past few rounds, every single vote is critical. I love all three albums left, but I don't believe On the Border is quite the same caliber as Desperado and Hotel California. For all of you who want Desperado to move forward in the game, we can't afford to split the vote. We must align together to save the album.

SAVE DESPERADO!!!

VOTE FOR ON THE BORDER!!!

So, Desperado lovers, please join me ...

I cast my vote for On the Border.
Desperado is #1! I join you in voting for On the Border!

LovinGlennGirl
12-04-2019, 10:05 PM
I vote for On The Border, can't bring myself to ever vote against Desperado.

New Kid In Town
12-05-2019, 08:44 AM
I vote for On The Border.

groupie2686
12-05-2019, 03:39 PM
This was tough, but I'm voting for On the Border. It's a good album and I like a lot of the songs on it, but is not the cohesive whole that Desperado and Hotel California are.

Brooke
12-05-2019, 04:57 PM
And it still amazes me that their record company thought Desperado was a horrible album! :lol:

Glennsallnighter
12-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Very hard to decide as all 3 albums are so good and solid. But I think in fairness Desperado and HC should be the ones to fight it out for the prize so I'm voting off On the Border

12-05-2019, 09:01 PM
The next album to be eliminated in Eagles’ Album Survivor is On the Border. “On the Border”, the tribe has spoken and you didn’t get the best of our love. Is it true that you are already gone? Yes, it's true and this must feel like a good day in hell for you, my man. But, it’s time to turn that Ol’ 55 of yours into a midnight flyer because you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
On the Border – 9
Desperado – 3

Vote Breakdown
On the Border– My My
On the Border – Brooke
On the Border – scottside
On the Border – Ive always been a dreamer
On the Border – FreyFollower
On the Border – LovinGlennGirl
On the Border– New Kid In Town
On the Border – groupie2686
On the Border – Glennsallnighter
Desperado – WalshFan88
Desperado – shunlvswx
Desperado – KingWalsh

Albums Eliminated:
Hell Freezes Over 11/21
Eagles Live 11/23
The Long Run 11/27
Eagles 12/01
On the Border 12/05

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the album we want to go. We’re going to vote for the album we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE ALBUM YOU WANT TO WIN.

Desperado vs. Hotel California

Voting for the final round begins now.

WalshFan88
12-05-2019, 09:34 PM
This isn't even close. Literally my most favorite Eagles album against my least favorite Eagles album. I had saved voting against Desperado until later because I'd be wasting a vote.

But to say the least:

HOTEL CALIFORNIA for the win!!!

WalshFan88
12-05-2019, 09:36 PM
And it still amazes me that their record company thought Desperado was a horrible album! :lol:

Umm, well, LOL.

I won't go that far, but it's definitely not a good album to me. Keeping in mind my tastes, it does the least for me personally.

LovinGlennGirl
12-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Desperado for the win!

scottside
12-05-2019, 11:57 PM
DESPERADO for the win.

UndertheWire
12-06-2019, 01:38 AM
Desperado to win. How could it be anything else?

FreyFollower
12-06-2019, 04:06 AM
Desperado listened straight through tells a story of the brash young "outlaw man" who refused to change or settle down, and ended up alone and full of regret. Even when THEY were young Desperadoes, our guys could see where that road could lead. It's NOT a (bleeping) cowboy record! It's EPIC, with great insights...a joy to listen to on repeat! Hotel California is great--but Desperado is timeless.

DESPERADO FOR THE WIN!:inlove:

New Kid In Town
12-06-2019, 07:59 AM
HOTEL CALIFORNIA for the win.

shunlvswx
12-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Hotel California for the win.

KingWalsh
12-06-2019, 12:02 PM
​HOTEL CALIFORNIA
#for the win 🥳

groupie2686
12-06-2019, 03:10 PM
HOTEL CALIFORNIA for the win!

thelastresort
12-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Desperado

Brooke
12-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Desperado listened straight through tells a story of the brash young "outlaw man" who refused to change or settle down, and ended up alone and full of regret. Even when THEY were young Desperadoes, our guys could see where that road could lead. It's NOT a (bleeping) cowboy record! It's EPIC, with great insights...a joy to listen to on repeat! Hotel California is great--but Desperado is timeless.

DESPERADO FOR THE WIN!:inlove:

THIS IS PERFECT, FF! I couldn't have said it better! I love this album so much! I love HC too, but it doesn't compare for me.

DESPERADO FOR THE WIN!

:blueblob:

WalshFan88
12-06-2019, 04:59 PM
To elaborate on Hotel California...

To me HC was a more well thought out and more relatable concept album to a wider range of people. More urban. I don't get into the picture like storytelling much nor am I a lyrics nerd - BUT:

I DO picture Hotel California frame by frame. I don't get that with Desperado and it's theme, but I can understand how some would as I get it with HC. Really the only song that's ever made me picture anything.

I personally resonate more with Hotel California and the 70s rock Sunset Strip excess theme than the cowboy western outlaw theme. I've never been a Clint Eastwood fan, I've never watched a Western movie, and I don't like country music (or at least the type of country that traditional/classic country music fans would call country music). I just don't get the whole wanted poster, on the run, outlaw criminal, guns and bonfires thing. I'm not an outdoorsy type. I didn't even like sports until a few years ago, well into my 20s. And now I only watch football, and I had to get into it on my own, not from my dad or anyone. When it comes to film, I'm a slapstick comedy guy who thinks Dumb and Dumber is the greatest movie of all time, lol. That's the kind of movies I like. Nothing deep, which I am that way with my music too. I like funny stuff. I don't need to ponder anything other than what my brain already does, haha. I grew up on Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey movies and I grew up with parents who listened to AC/DC (my dad) and Guns N' Roses (my mom) on repeat. We never had a country record. About as mellow as I can remember, my grandparents had an unplugged Eric Clapton CD they'd put on frequently. My parents would rather me watch a slightly "dirty" comedy movie than a scary movie. I could watch Beverly Hills Cop or Porky's, but even movies like The Mummy were strictly off limits, lol. To this day I still don't watch them. I hate suspense and I won't even watch The Walking Dead. It's pretty funny. We laugh about it now but in actuality I'm glad they were like that. You won't get nightmares from hearing a cuss word at age 12, but you will from Chucky. I convinced my grandma to take me to see American Pie at age 12. Told her it was going to be boring for her, she was gullible and bought the movie tickets and then left to go shopping before the movie started. :lol:

sodascouts
12-06-2019, 06:27 PM
I vote for DESPERADO for the win!

It doesn't have a weak song on there. It's got a great thematic conceit and a fantastic mix of rockers and ballads. It's got a wonderful cinematic drama to it.

Honestly, while I like Hotel California, it's a bit overrated IMHO. Unlike Hotel California, Desperado has a good mixture of vocals from each band member, and it deserves far more attention than it gets.

I'm really jazzed Desperado has made the top two and I'd be ecstatic if it can pull off an upset!

FreyFollower
12-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Austin, I think the western theme was simply used as an allegory everyone is familiar with and could understand. After all, it isn't about cowboys, but a life lived on the outside. The setting could have been anywhere. And they were considered country-rock at the time.
Personally, I will say that none of Eagles music is too rock for me, but it is about as rock as I go. While I love hot guitar work, it's meaningful lyrics and fine harmonies that drew me to them. And as a native Texan, this nature-animal-country music -lovin' rural girl loves the cowboy imagery our beautiful young rebel-rockers presented in Desperado.

12-06-2019, 09:33 PM
This is an excruciatingly difficult decision for me. I absolute love both of these albums so much. They are both masterpieces in their own right and I won't be too disappointed no matter what the final outcome is. However, song for song, both individually and collectively, I believe Hotel California is a notch above the rest. It is an amazingly cohesive and mature rock opera that chronicles the struggles of fame and fortune. So, even though I agree with most all of the high praise for Desperado, I have to go with the one that made the most impact ...

I cast my vote for Hotel California!

WalshFan88
12-07-2019, 01:55 AM
Austin, I think the western theme was simply used as an allegory everyone is familiar with and could understand. After all, it isn't about cowboys, but a life lived on the outside. The setting could have been anywhere. And they were considered country-rock at the time.
Personally, I will say that none of Eagles music is too rock for me, but it is about as rock as I go. While I love hot guitar work, it's meaningful lyrics and fine harmonies that drew me to them. And as a native Texan, this nature-animal-country music -lovin' rural girl loves the cowboy imagery our beautiful young rebel-rockers presented in Desperado.

That's interesting to me because I feel like the more "city like" theme of HC was more relatable to most than Desperado. Maybe not rockstar excess, but more of a city urban life. Depends on where you're from I guess but I figured there were/are more city people than country/small town people. I could see where a country fan would prefer Desperado full out. I'm just not into that kind of country. While I'd certainly call them country-rock starting with On The Border, the first two albums are far more country than rock with the exceptions of Witchy Woman and Out Of Control. By the time of HC, it was just straight classic rock.

And it's funny because I'm just the opposite. The harmonies and lyrics aren't why I like them so much. It was the interplay of Walsh/Felder and then Walsh/Smith that did it for me. Again, I just don't get into thought-provoking stuff too much and even though the Eagles didn't have much of it - I won't listen to depressing self-loathing music like Nirvana. I guess The Sad Cafe fits, but I'm glad they didn't get that way. I'm very metro despite living in the country the majority of my life. I love southern rock, but I've never hunted deer or shot a gun or went mudding or any of that. I do like to fish occasionally, but that's as outdoorsy as I get. I'd rather be inside watching TV, on the computer, or more likely - playing guitar either at home or on a stage. I've never been a nature person and I get sensitive to the temps. I get too hot in the summer and my joints hurt in the winter. So for two seasons out of the year I'm complaining about the weather in some fashion, lol.

For me nothing is too rock for me, but I like rock and roll, so I don't like modern rock that forgets the groove and the 'roll' in rock and roll. But I love the 80s hair stuff that had a bop to it and the early parts of what was called heavy metal. I love me some Whitesnake "Still Of The Night" or Metallica "Enter Sandman". LOL. What I don't like is cookie monster vocal sludgy guitar sound death metal. When I saw the reformed GNR a couple years ago, The Deftones opened for them and I hated every second of their show. I don't think I could hear one word or clearly pick out any of the chords. It was awful. So while I like hard rock, it needs to have a swagger to it, a groove that sucks you in, and a bit of a melodic sense to it. I don't like instrumental music, but yet I mainly listen to the guitars. I guess I like the vocals in the background.

WalshFan88
12-07-2019, 02:08 AM
This is an excruciatingly difficult decision for me. I absolute love both of these albums so much. They are both masterpieces in their own right and I won't be too disappointed no matter what the final outcome is. However, song for song, both individually and collectively, I believe Hotel California is a notch above the rest. It is an amazingly cohesive and mature rock opera that chronicles the struggles of fame and fortune. So, even though I agree with most all of the high praise for Desperado, I have to go with the one that made the most impact ...

I cast my vote for Hotel California!

Well said, Dreamer! :grin:

FreyFollower
12-07-2019, 02:43 AM
That's interesting to me because I feel like the more "city like" theme of HC was more relatable to most than Desperado. Maybe not rockstar excess, but more of a city urban life. Depends on where you're from I guess but I figured there were/are more city people than country/small town people. I could see where a country fan would prefer Desperado full out. I'm just not into that kind of country. While I'd certainly call them country-rock starting with On The Border, the first two albums are far more country than rock with the exceptions of Witchy Woman and Out Of Control. By the time of HC, it was just straight classic rock.

And it's funny because I'm just the opposite. The harmonies and lyrics aren't why I like them so much. It was the interplay of Walsh/Felder and then Walsh/Smith that did it for me. Again, I just don't get into thought-provoking stuff too much and even though the Eagles didn't have much of it - I won't listen to depressing self-loathing music like Nirvana. I guess The Sad Cafe fits, but I'm glad they didn't get that way. I'm very metro despite living in the country the majority of my life. I love southern rock, but I've never hunted deer or shot a gun or went mudding or any of that. I do like to fish occasionally, but that's as outdoorsy as I get. I'd rather be inside watching TV, on the computer, or more likely - playing guitar either at home or on a stage. I've never been a nature person and I get sensitive to the temps. I get too hot in the summer and my joints hurt in the winter. So for two seasons out of the year I'm complaining about the weather in some fashion, lol.

For me nothing is too rock for me, but I like rock and roll, so I don't like modern rock that forgets the groove and the 'roll' in rock and roll. But I love the 80s hair stuff that had a bop to it and the early parts of what was called heavy metal. I love me some Whitesnake "Still Of The Night" or Metallica "Enter Sandman". LOL. What I don't like is cookie monster vocal sludgy guitar sound death metal. When I saw the reformed GNR a couple years ago, The Deftones opened for them and I hated every second of their show. I don't think I could hear one word or clearly pick out any of the chords. It was awful. So while I like hard rock, it needs to have a swagger to it, a groove that sucks you in, and a bit of a melodic sense to it. I don't like instrumental music, but yet I mainly listen to the guitars. I guess I like the vocals in the background.

Eagles' wide appeal is certainly evident when a young man and a 57 yr old woman with extremely different tastes and influences both enjoy them; and are discussing the finer points of albums made over 40 years ago! They came from different parts of the country, and drew us all in!

WalshFan88
12-07-2019, 03:25 AM
Eagles' wide appeal is certainly evident when a young man and a 57 yr old woman with extremely different tastes and influences both enjoy them; and are discussing the finer points of albums made over 40 years ago! They came from different parts of the country, and drew us all in!

They definitely changed their sound over their years and when you put them all together they cast a wide net.

I always admired David Bowie, who not only changed his sound for every album, but literally his persona and physical appearance and dress. Every album had a theme. Ziggy/Spiders From Mars, The Thin White Duke, etc. He never became complacent with his music or character nor did he do the same thing more than once. Not all of his music appealed to me but I certainly am a fan and was always in awe of his ability to constantly reinvent himself.

12-07-2019, 12:13 PM

So true, FF. And what a perfect way to sum up the band's fandom here that is The Border! After all 'That's why we play these games'. :grouphug:

Glennsallnighter
12-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Desperado for the win from me. Both are fantastic albums but after listening to both of them again today I have to come down in favour of Desperado!

Delilah
12-07-2019, 08:24 PM
I love both albums but my vote goes to Desperado.

It’s interesting that HC and Desperado show some parallels: both have a reprise, a Henley-sung ballad at the end of side 1 and an epic album closer. And of course, they both have a conceptual theme and JD Souther contributions.

Desperado is unique in that it features a song that was co-written by all four members. And all four members are pictured on the album cover.

They are both great albums and either one deserves to win, really. Heck, I would be happy with OTB or OOTN winning.

12-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Well they came to town to face another showdown and on this Saturday night, we have a winner. It didn’t really matter which side you're on, this was quite a dual between the two albums that were hot for the game. So the pink champagne is on ice, but Hotel California you must check out. The tribe sealed your fate a little while ago and the winner of the Eagles’ Album Survivor is …

Desperado

Votes
Desperado – 9
Hotel California – 6

Vote Breakdown
Desperado – LovinGlennGirl
Desperado – scottside
Desperado – UndertheWire
Desperado – FreyFollower
Desperado – thelastresort
Desperado – Brooke
Desperado – sodascouts
Desperado – Glennsallnighter
Desperado – Delilah
Hotel California – WalshFan88
Hotel California – New Kid In Town
Hotel California – shunlvswx
Hotel California – KingWalsh
Hotel California – groupie2686
Hotel California – Ive always been a dreamer

Congrats to Desperado!

Thanks for playing everyone and hope you enjoyed the game.

Delilah
12-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Now that the game is over, I thought it might be interesting to post the album rankings according to the RateYour Music website, which uses over a thousand different rankings by music listeners for each album (except for LROOE which has only 724 rankings). Their ratings out of 5.0 are also included.

1. Desperado 3.48
2. One of These Nights 3.43
3. Hotel California 3.35
4. Eagles 3.30
5. On the Border 3.26
6. The Long Run 3.18
7. Long Road Out of Eden 3.04

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/eagles

And thank you for running the game, Dreamer, esp. during Thanksgiving.

WalshFan88
12-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Now that the game is over, I thought it might be interesting to post the album rankings according to the RateYour Music website, which uses over a thousand different rankings by music listeners for each album (except for LROOE which has only 724 rankings). Their ratings out of 5.0 are also included.

1. Desperado 3.48
3. Hotel California 3.35
4. Eagles 3.30
5. On the Border 3.26
6. The Long Run 3.18

Interesting stats, to say the least.

I would love to know more about the people they got their data from and their demographics. For example: were these people who listened to the songs regularly and are more likely to be hardcore fans who are more likely to listen to the deeper cuts and older albums, or was it more the average listener who liked the Eagles but didn't know the entirety of their work. In the latter group, I can't imagine them listening to much off of Desperado other than the title cut, Tequila Sunrise, etc. Certainly not Bitter Creek or Doolin-Dalton! Obviously to get that data they'd have to volunteer access to their music history but it'd be a neat study.

sodascouts
12-09-2019, 01:09 AM
CONGRATS TO DESPERADO!

A little sad that Hotel California lost out on the anniversary of its release, lol, but it lost to a worthy adversary in an exciting upset!

FreyFollower
12-09-2019, 03:01 AM
I echo Delilah's statements in thanking you, Dreamer, for conducting this game. Your clever send-off to each eliminated album was the best part! I particularly loved the one for One of These Nights. What a hoot!

UndertheWire
12-09-2019, 06:18 AM

1. Desperado 3.48
3. Hotel California 3.35
4. Eagles 3.30
5. On the Border 3.26
6. The Long Run 3.18

Interesting. I wonder how many voted based mostly on the title tracks (excluding Eagles, of course), especially as both "Desperado" and "One of These Nights" are on the biggest selling album in the US. For me, the song "Desperado" is a classic in a way that none of the others get close - it can be covered successfully by many different artists and remains beautiful.

Thank you Dreamer for running this Survivor so well - as always.

New Kid In Town
12-09-2019, 11:25 AM
A surprise finish but both worthy of the win.
Dreamer, Thank You for running this game and all the others too. I know you probably have a busy life so thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm sure it can get time consuming. I agree with FF- I also enjoy the send off to each album.

Brooke
12-09-2019, 05:20 PM
Congratulations to Desperado on the win!!! I wouldn't have been upset either way, but the songs on Desperado just speak to me more!

Thanks for running the game, dreamer! It's always fun and I enjoy everyone's thoughts!

12-09-2019, 11:27 PM
First of all - Congrats to Desperado on the upset victory.

Although, I believe Hotel California is the band's crowning achievement and should be the winner in just about any contest, I do love the Desperado album too. It is a superb piece of work.

As I read Delilah's post about the rankings of the band's albums on the RateYour Music website, it just confirms how subjective rating music really is. As I read their list, I was thinking that sure isn't the way I rank the albums. Here's the order that I rank the albums in this game ...

1. Hotel California
2. Desperado
3. On the Border
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. The Long Run
6. One of These Nights
7. Eagles
8. Eagles Live
9. Hell Freezes Over

I would love to see others lists if y'all are interested in sharing.

And thanks again for the compliments everyone - glad all of you enjoy the Survivor games.

WalshFan88
12-10-2019, 02:15 PM
I completely agree Dreamer! Personally I still am curious about how they get their data for that ranking. I agree with you 100% on HC!

Thanks for running another Survivor!

1. Hotel California
2. The Long Run
3. One Of These Nights
4. On The Border
5. Long Road Out Of Eden
6. Eagles
7. Desperado

Personally the live albums are hard to mix in with the studio albums. But I do rate Eagles Live much higher than Hell Freezes Over. HFO had great moments like GOI, ITC, LITFL, and TIE. But the rest just seemed too much like a Don show and I don’t like Hotel California as an acoustic song at all.

New Kid In Town
12-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Here are my rankings:

1.) Hotel California
2.) One of These Nights
3.) On The Border
4.) Desperado
5.) Long Road Out Of Eden
6.) Eagles Live
7.) Eagles
8.) The Long Run
9.) Hell Freezes Over

HC was their crowning achievement and I feel deserves to be #1. The LR is one of my least favorite albums - it has four of my least favorite songs. Everyone knows what they are - I have said it often enough - lol ! Through the years I think Desperado has gained a lot of respect and seems more popular than when it was released all those years ago. JMHO, but HFO has too many Don songs. I think the boot-leg copy of night two has a better selection of songs and should have been released long ago on CD.

Dreamer - Many thanks for running another survivor contest !

12-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Well - three of us have posted and look how different each of our lists are. My list has pretty much stayed the same over the years except I can switch the order of The Long Run and One of These Nights on any given day. To me, they are very close in quality. But, again, these lists just validate how subjective our love of music really is methinks.

Delilah
12-13-2019, 02:41 PM
As far as the RateYourMusic website, I can’t say for sure but my impression is that the members generally lean toward the serious side of music fandom, and are more likely to intently listen to entire albums than casual fans. Even though it’s all subjective, it’s interesting to see a general consensus that Desperado, for example, is considered one of the best Eagles, if not the best, albums.

sodascouts
12-17-2019, 05:51 PM
You know, I tried to order them, and I really couldn't decide on a hard and fast order between my favorite, Desperado, and my least favorite, The Long Run. (I just stuck the two live ones at the end.) All the other albums IMHO have similar balances between awesome and not as awesome, so it's hard to say one is definitely better than the other has a whole. That's why the Eagles' Greatest Hits sells so well. It cuts the fat!

Here's what I'm feeling now... don't hold me to it!

1. Desperado
2. On the Border
3. One of These Nights
4. Hotel California
5. Eagles
6. Long Road Out of Eden
7. The Long Run
8. Eagles Live
9. Hell Freezes Over