PDA

View Full Version : (Book) Eagles: Before the Band

CAinOH
12-11-2019, 04:12 PM
From the description:

With the first iconic strum of the guitar on 'Take It Easy' the Eagles set a new direction for the country-rock infused California sound.

They drew their inspiration from The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Flying Burrito Brothers and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

In the band's first nine years together they scored gold records for every album release and delivered songs that changed the musical landscape. Their thought-provoking, intimate lyrics were matched by precision instrumentation that sounded as good live as in the studio. Legions of fans built around them.

But where did they come from? BEFORE THE BAND maps their individual histories before they became the best-selling band in history.

Follow along season by season as they struggle in small bands across the country and eventually find each other in Los Angeles. Their journey is as legendary as their music.

On Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1734365315/ref=as_li_ss_tl?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=DYVK987CRX1WRNQ48TDS&linkCode=sl1&tag=timepassages-20&linkId=bf307082f823a0f41b18d2b5cae202a8&language=en_US&fbclid=IwAR2zfc21RC0X5XoT6v46Y6eomU1YDIa9qW-ZvCACE5-d9Km4xUFtoP7kFP0).

NightMistBlue
12-11-2019, 07:39 PM
That’s kind of pricey for a book by an unknown author (for me). I wish it at least had a “look inside” feature where you could see chapters or an index.

CAinOH
12-11-2019, 09:02 PM
It does. You can look inside to see how the book is laid out. Then click on "Surprise Me!" to get extra pages. The extra pages it showed me were about Randy. :)

WalshFan88
12-11-2019, 11:44 PM
I've yet to find an Eagles book that is truly *that* good yet. Yet, I keep buying them! I just ordered this... Thanks CA for the heads up. This will mean I'll have every Eagles book so far I know of, lol.

As whiny as I think Don Felder's book is at times, it's still been my favorite read of a book with anything to do with the band. It isn't always modest and it isn't always 100% factually accurate, but it was a great read and I can't say the same for any other Eagles-related book I've read. It has a touch of "I was there" that while it is only his side of the story, it's a side that is probably more authentic.

Eliot's book ruined it for me on Eagles bios or books about the guys. I think his is by far the worst I've read. No, not just because of the Henley bias, either. I read it awhile before I was even a Glenn fan.

NightMistBlue
12-12-2019, 10:14 AM
It does. You can look inside to see how the book is laid out. Then click on "Surprise Me!" to get extra pages. The extra pages it showed me were about Randy. :)

Oh my!!! Thank you for telling me. Couldn't see it on my wonky phone.

NightMistBlue
12-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Well, now I am intrigued. It looks well researched. My "Surprise Me!" pages were of The Beach Boys and Bob Seger.

The front cover says it's the first in a trilogy of books about the Eagles! So we can look forward to "Being the Band" and "After the Band." Very, very interesting.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-12-2019, 10:36 AM
I checked it out briefly and it is kind of pricey - especially for a paperback. However, I didn't have time to look at it thoroughly so I'll do that over the weekend hopefully. It better be good for that price. lol I may wait a bit and see if the price drops some.

New Kid In Town
12-12-2019, 10:53 AM
NMB & Dreamer, I also think the book is very pricey for a paperback. Austin, I have to agree with you in that all Eagles books so far leave a lot to be desired. Marc Eliot's book has so many errors for someone who makes a living off writing such books.
Is their any info about how many pages the book is ? Has anyone ever heard of the author ? I was surprised when the book cover said it's the first in a trilogy of books about the Eagles. I will probably wait until I hear reviews before I decide to buy it.

lovemusic
12-12-2019, 04:37 PM
It seems kind of pricey to me also but I can't pass up another book about the Eagles. I just ordered it. How great to hopefully discuss this book in the future on The Border. That will be awesome to have two more books to follow as I can't get enough of the Eagles! :yay:

sodascouts
12-17-2019, 05:42 PM
It is expensive, but I must admit, I'm very intrigued. This is not the typical, well-trodden ground of most Eagles books. It's going on my Christmas list!

UndertheWire
12-18-2019, 11:12 AM
It appears to be available on kindle at a more reasonable price. Anyway, according to the contents pages, it's 243 pages long which includes 25 pages of bibliography (although many of those are record credits).

sodascouts
12-20-2019, 01:17 PM
It appears to be available on kindle at a more reasonable price. Anyway, according to the contents pages, it's 243 pages long which includes 25 pages of bibliography (although many of those are record credits).

If anybody gets this, please let us know if you like it!

12-21-2019, 12:10 PM
I'm sure I'll get around to buying this eventually. However, since I don't have time to read it now anyway, I'll wait for the price to drop some before ordering it.

lovemusic
12-23-2019, 11:51 AM
If anybody gets this, please let us know if you like it!

Hi Sodascouts,

I’m enjoying “Eagles Before The Band” so much so that I can’t wait for the other two books to make it to print. At first, I found the layout challenging but it falls into place nicely. Considering the talent converging on LA at that time there’s so much to be told and this book is from a historical perspective. The book includes one page bios of not only the Eagles but other’s like JD, Linda, Irving, Geffen, etc. which fit in nicely. Interestingly, it starts out in the Fall of 1894 and ends, as you might suspect, in the Summer of 1972. This is a great book about the Eagles and their times.

A side note: I joined The Border less than a month ago and am so happy I found you. :grin:

CAinOH
12-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Hi Sodascouts,

I’m enjoying “Eagles Before The Band” so much so that I can’t wait for the other two books to make it to print. At first, I found the layout challenging but it falls into place nicely. Considering the talent converging on LA at that time there’s so much to be told and this book is from a historical perspective. The book includes one page bios of not only the Eagles but other’s like JD, Linda, Irving, Geffen, etc. which fit in nicely. Interestingly, it starts out in the Fall of 1894 and ends, as you might suspect, in the Summer of 1972. This is a great book about the Eagles and their times.

A side note: I joined The Border less than a month ago and am so happy I found you. :grin:

Thanks for sharing! It's always great to hear from someone who has actually seen the book!

lovemusic
12-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Thanks for sharing! It's always great to hear from someone who has actually seen the book!
CAinOH, You're welcome! ;-)

12-23-2019, 12:31 PM
lm - Thanks from me, too. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the book so far. I will be getting it in due time, I'm sure.

lovemusic
12-23-2019, 12:49 PM
lm - Thanks from me, too. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the book so far. I will be getting it in due time, I'm sure.
Ive always been a dreamer,
When you get the book, please let me know what you think of it. I would like to hear from someone else who's reading it also.

sodascouts
12-25-2019, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to buying this book!

lovemusic
12-25-2019, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to buying this book!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, sodascouts! Merry Christmas!

sodascouts
01-04-2020, 06:46 PM
Guess what Houston Baby gave me for my birthday? Can't wait to read it!

CAinOH
01-04-2020, 06:51 PM

We will be wanting a full review, Professor. Complete with annotated notes. :D

lovemusic
01-04-2020, 08:00 PM

Let us know what you think of it. I'm about half way through and really enjoying it.

My My
01-05-2020, 09:17 AM
My copy arrives today. I'm reading another book but will probably finish it today or tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting started on this one! Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, CA!

New Kid In Town
02-14-2020, 06:18 PM

What did you (and anyone who has read it) think of it. Is there anything new in the book? Is it worth the investment ?

sodascouts
02-15-2020, 07:17 PM
What did you (and anyone who has read it) think of it. Is there anything new in the book? Is it worth the investment ?

I haven't had time to read much of it, but from what I have read, it's got lots of information that you don't usually find in these kind of books. For a hardcore, I think it's worth the money.