PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Hotel California, where you can check in but you can never leave

LuvTim
03-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Tales Of Quarantine

I'm going to go ahead and presume that many of us are stuck at home for now, so I'd love to hear about any cute episodes or funny stories of home life from my friends here on The Border, if you care to share!

Here, I'm just amazed that the Hubs actually kind of knew all along where dinner comes from and has volunteered to go to the grocery for us, to spare me the exposure risk! The results can be puzzling, but I'm too grateful to really question much! 😄

WalshFan88
03-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Haha great idea for a thread, LT.

For me, my day to day isn't too different as far as social stuff. I don't necessarily miss going out with friends because I never really did that anyway! I'm not a social bird, so I don't necessarily feel too stir crazy. What I DO miss is eating out multiple times a week and going to restaurants or even ordering takeout. Most places around me are doing curbside service but with compromised health I just cannot take that risk. But I am getting a little tired of frozen pizza vs going out to my favorite pizza joint. Sorry Red Baron, but you are no match for Monical's, lol. I will miss the jams with local friends and gigs this year with my band. I will miss having Ausfest. Unless the current "climate" changes dramatically between now and September, I won't be having it this year. Those are really the only social things I do. I tend to be quite the hermit! :lol:

I've been playing more guitar, hanging out with my folks, and binging on content. We subscribe to literally every streaming service known to mankind, so if there is a flick I want to see or a show I want to binge, I pretty much am in hog heaven in that regard. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Now, Showtime, Amazon Prime Video, etc we all subscribe to. So basically we've been using our internet connection like crazy. Not to mention the music from Spotify and not to forget all of those YouTube videos I watch every night anyway. I'm sure our ISP loves us. :grin: I've been playing more guitar and I recently got a new amp, so I'm happy.

Our pets are enjoying everyone being home 24/7. We have two senior dogs and one cat, and our cat is more dog-like in that he's very dependent and loyal and super affectionate and not the typical independent "it's on my terms, man!" type of cat. He truly has dog-like qualities and he's been a lap cat all day today. He's an orange male tabby cat. Until proven otherwise, I find orange males to be the most loving cats and the most like a dog, in terms of needing you and actually enjoying your companionship, lol. I really love Copper, but he tries to lay in between me and my laptop and it makes typing or watching videos a bit tough! Our boxer is 9 and is still fairly high strung for a dog his age. He's been particularly busy. Our beagle is 15 and he sleeps all day long. I think he likes having us home, but is more interested in his couch and food!

LuvTim
03-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Love your post Austin! Glad you are being careful and looking out for yourself so well, but so sorry you are having trouble getting your delicious pizza! Funny what we end up missing most, right?
It's great to know that you have your family and your pets to keep you company! I would love to see a pic of your sweet orange tabby cat! My white cat is loving, too -when it's his idea!- and then, enough is enough! 😸

WalshFan88
03-30-2020, 07:28 PM
Love your post Austin! Glad you are being careful and looking out for yourself so well, but so sorry you are having trouble getting your delicious pizza! Funny what we end up missing most, right?
It's great to know that you have your family and your pets to keep you company! I would love to see a pic of your sweet orange tabby cat! My white cat is loving, too -when it's his idea!- and then, enough is enough! 😸

Haha Copper is different than any other cat we've had. He can't seemingly get enough of you at times.

https://i.imgur.com/kJjwDjJ.jpg

He'll be 14 this year. He's still pretty spry. He's a loving cat but ornery as can be. A couple weeks ago he jumped in the saltwater fish tank as my mom was cleaning it. Needless to say, she was less than pleased. :grin:

LuvTim
03-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Aww...Love Copper!!💖

CAinOH
03-31-2020, 08:34 AM
Haha Copper is different than any other cat we've had. He can't seemingly get enough of you at times.

https://i.imgur.com/kJjwDjJ.jpg

He'll be 14 this year. He's still pretty spry. He's a loving cat but ornery as can be. A couple weeks ago he jumped in the saltwater fish tank as my mom was cleaning it. Needless to say, she was less than pleased. :grin:

Pet dah kitteh! Copper is quite the dapper dude. :)

Brooke
03-31-2020, 01:13 PM
Awww, I love Copper! He's a beauty! Thanks for sharing him, Austin!

I'm planning to get a kitten or two later this spring. I miss having one.

KingWalsh
04-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Ha ha! Red Baron pizza, I have 2 in my freezer Walshfan88!:lol:. I've been playing more guitar as well, and dusted off an old Mel Bays book i write songs in back in the day and revisited that. Last week we had appliances delivered, I was worried that wouldn't happen, but it went smoothly. Juggling work and Trying to keep kids busy, had them write an old school fan letter to a star they like, ha ha, Also writing letters to friends, gives them something to do instead of computers/phone all the time weather has been a lil cruddy, yet yesterday was nice and went for a hike.

Hi Copper!:bye::bye:

WalshFan88
04-06-2020, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone! I told Copper everyone loved him. :hilarious:

KW - I've had more frozen pizza lately than ever before. I've been going through it like crazy. Still doesn't beat the real deal, though!

KingWalsh
04-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone! I told Copper everyone loved him. :hilarious:

KW - I've had more frozen pizza lately than ever before. I've been going through it like crazy. Still doesn't beat the real deal, though!

Rofl :hilarious: We have tried various brands. Right now we prefer digiorno hand tossed, but wasn’t on sale. :shrug: We go through a lot too with the kids and all. Nothing beats the pizzeria. Around here it’s Alberto’s.

MarthaJo56
04-06-2020, 10:01 PM
Ha ha! Red Baron pizza, I have 2 in my freezer Walshfan88!:lol:. I've been playing more guitar as well, and dusted off an old Mel Bays book i write songs in back in the day and revisited that. Last week we had appliances delivered, I was worried that wouldn't happen, but it went smoothly. Juggling work and Trying to keep kids busy, had them write an old school fan letter to a star they like, ha ha, Also writing letters to friends, gives them something to do instead of computers/phone all the time weather has been a lil cruddy, yet yesterday was nice and went for a hike.

Hi Copper!:bye::bye:

Hmmmm...
You've got me thinking, I have a book on learning how to read music that I might dust off. I can sight sing, but playing an instrument??? Fugiddabotit!!
I tried to take a guitar class in college. But my brain has a really hard time when numbers & letters are mixed together. To say the least, I was lousy at math in high school, especially algebra. My math scores on the SATs kept me out of the University of California system. I was still a good student, though. I graduated mid term from high school in 1974, moved into my own apartment and thought about moving to L.A. and hang around the Troubadour,& Whiskey A-Go Go and either be a groupie or find a rock star to marry. :inlove:

Fortunately ( or maybe unfortunately) , fear prevented me from taking that leap, and I met my first husband, (which turned out to be the unfortunate part--we divorced 10 years later) who was ..you guessed it-- a musician! I didn't go to college until I was almost in my 50's. I graduated in 2012.
So my point is, learing to read music might be something to do besides watching TV, sewing masks and watch my Kevin (who looks kinda like Jackson Browne, by the way :drool:) dink around the house. :grin: Kevin has been furloughed from his job as a baker at Panera Bread.

New Kid In Town
04-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Austin your kitty is adorable ! Alas, I am severely allergic to cats. I am also allergic to dogs but not quite as bad as cats. Funny how a person's body changes - I was never allergic to either as a kid. We had both a dog and a cat. My sister has a dog that does not shed so it does not bother me. He is a cutie - his name is Max and he gets all excited when he sees me. I love that little dog !

LuvTim
04-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Hmmmm...
You've got me thinking, I have a book on learning how to read music that I might dust off. I can sight sing, but playing an instrument??? Fugiddabotit!!
I tried to take a guitar class in college. But my brain has a really hard time when numbers & letters are mixed together. To say the least, I was lousy at math in high school, especially algebra. My math scores on the SATs kept me out of the University of California system. I was still a good student, though. I graduated mid term from high school in 1974, moved into my own apartment and thought about moving to L.A. and hang around the Troubadour,& Whiskey A-Go Go and either be a groupie or find a rock star to marry. :inlove:

Fortunately ( or maybe unfortunately) , fear prevented me from taking that leap, and I met my first husband, (which turned out to be the unfortunate part--we divorced 10 years later) who was ..you guessed it-- a musician! I didn't go to college until I was almost in my 50's. I graduated in 2012.
So my point is, learing to read music might be something to do besides watching TV, sewing masks and watch my Kevin (who looks kinda like Jackson Browne, by the way :drool:) dink around the house. :grin: Kevin has been furloughed from his job as a baker at Panera Bread.

MarthaJo, I would have LOVED your plan to hang out at the Troubadour or Whiskey! I think we would have been BIG TROUBLE together back in the day!
(My husband is on furlough, too.)

LuvTim
04-07-2020, 08:53 PM
So last week we baked cookies and then I went online and ordered Girl Scout cookies! Being at home so much is going to turn me into a sugar junkie!
(We have definitely increased our exercise time to try and make up for it, but still.​) :-D

KingWalsh
04-08-2020, 04:19 AM
MarthaJo....It’s never too late to learn anything! I love playing guitar. You can try learning with tab instead of official sheet music. I saved my old Guitar player for the practicing musicians, and guitar school. Was thumbing through those too. I used to jam in my room as a teen, with the Hotel California poster from the album on my wall (which I can’t find now:sigh:) Just dying to play an ounce as good. And ya if I can only hang out at the Troubadour and Whiskey too back then. Whew8):jealous:

luvTim, lol regarding cookies! My darling daughter keeps baking stuff cookies and what not. I’ve been a good girl and since November, I’ve been determined to get back in shape. I must admit the concert was a HUGE motivation and I did loose 26 lbs.....but gosh darn it, she won’t stop baking stuff!! She’s a sabatour (sp?)

UndertheWire
04-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Yesterday, I took part in a yoga class over zoom. I didn't have my camera set up but maybe I'll be more brave next time. These are people who are used to seeing me in the flesh so it shouldn't scare them too much. I've done a lot of cooking and I'm trying to be more imaginative with ingredients - if I'm missing something, I can't just head to the shop so I have to look for an alternative. I've baked a few cakes and maybe biscuits (cookies) will be next.

WalshFan88
04-08-2020, 10:02 PM
I debated posting this in the What's Happening In Your Life thread or here.

Monday, I fell in my bedroom on some spilt water, slipped, and broke my left femur. I was taken to the local ER and they transferred me onto the bigger trauma center where I had the hip replacements done in 2015 so I could have my own surgeon who've I've seen since I was a young teen. I trust him and he's my favorite doctor out of the hundreds I've seen by now. I wanted him if I needed any emergency surgery.

Long story very short, I am now home today on strict bedrest. We are holding off on surgery. They think although it's a clean break through and through, it's in a place that will heal on it's own and that having the replacement helped because it's holding the bone in a really great place. That strong metal being cemented there really is more of a good thing than if I broke it without a replacement. I figured the opposite. I shouldn't need a replacement revision, which is wonderful. And if I do need surgery, it will be called an ORIF and will basically consist of putting some plates in there to just support things and help it heal better.

With the CV thing, I couldn't have picked a worse time. It was a very traumatic experience for me that I will have to work through. It's taken very seriously here and when they say no visitors (including my parents of a disabled child), they mean it. When you hear the stories of FaceTime and all of that, it's the real deal. I'm just hoping like hell I won't catch the coronavirus. I'm taking some immune system boosters to help.

However, I asked my surgeon if COVID-19 wasn't happening, would he have taken me to surgery Monday night, and he said no, he still thinks it has a chance to heal with complete bedrest for a month. I also have a hairline crack in my sacroiliac joint on that side, which will heal without much assistance at all and is just an incidental finding. Hearing him say that made me feel 200 percent better. He's the nicest doc I've had.

I'm on strong oral pain medication of course and I'm being taken great care of by my wonderful parents and I've FaceTimed my close friends and other relatives. I go back in 4 weeks for XRAYS and a followup.

CAinOH
04-08-2020, 10:56 PM
Oh, Austin... so sorry to hear! Take care. Do what the doctor says, let him know immediately if anything "changes." (Yes, I know you know that... shush and let me say it anyway!) Not sure what it would be, but if there's anything I can do, let me know.

And let us know how you're doing...

LuvTim
04-08-2020, 11:15 PM
Good grief, Austin! So sorry about this! But you are up to the challenge. I agree with CAinOH, just follow doctor's orders. And keep a positive thought, as much as possible! YOU know that YOU have met these challenges before, and YOU can do this now! Loved hearing about your terrific parents who are there for you, always. Big virtual hugs to you and to your mom and dad. Hang in there! :hug:

New Kid In Town
04-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Oh no ! Austin I am so sorry to hear this. Please take care and like CA and LT said, follow doctors orders. You can get through this and we will be here for you. Sending hugs and best wishes. :hug:

Brooke
04-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Oh Austin, darn it, I'm so sorry! Please do exactly what your doctor says and I'm sure you will be fine.

I will keep you and your parents in my prayers for fast healing and recovery.

UndertheWire
04-09-2020, 05:13 PM
That's really tough luck, Austin, but good that your doctor thinks it will heal without an operation.

KingWalsh
04-11-2020, 03:38 AM
What timing Walshfan88. Hang in there, do as your told. Hope for a speedy recovery. Sending well wishes. 🤘🏻

Ive always been a dreamer
04-11-2020, 11:54 AM
OMG Austin! I am so sorry you are going through this. I know for sure how painful broken bones are. The good news is most of the pain will probably subside soon and then there will just be the general discomfort. But, it sounds like you are in good medical care. Hang in there, :cheers: to a fast

recovery, and keep us posted.

WalshFan88
04-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Thanks everyone.

It's definitely been hard, probably as much mental as physical. The pain is being well controlled thus far. I will go back in a month for xrays and to see if I'm healing, and if so, how much longer for the bedrest. If not, a timeframe for surgery considering COVID and how long it can wait for surgery to happen. I'm really hoping that it will heal and I will be able to do the rehab at home and maybe just do home exercises.