PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Canyon Official Trailer | History of the Eagles and the Hippie Portrait

Scarlet Sun
03-31-2020, 01:02 PM
I apologize if someone has already posted this. On Epix May 31st. I hope it's better than Echo in the Canyon

https://youtu.be/mBluPX9kFq4

Brooke
03-31-2020, 01:15 PM
I will have to check and see if I get this station. Thanks, SS!

NightMistBlue
04-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Hello Scarlet Sun! It’s a rare and welcome pleasure to see you. Is that the full title “Laurel Canyon: History of the Eagles and the Hippie Portrait”? The preview just has Laurel Canyon.

Looks like it has some new (to me anyway) footage from the Joshua Tree photo shoot. Girls, some topless Eagles are in our future. If that doesn’t give you hope to carry on...

Delilah
04-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Aww, I don’t think we get Epix so maybe I’ll look into getting the app. It does appear to have some better quality footage than other docs.

Thanks for posting, SS. :wave:

KingWalsh
04-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Ooh looks interesting, xfinity has been letting us have epix free during the quarantine.! I'll have to check it out.

"Girls, some topless Eagles are in our future. If that doesn’t give you hope to carry on"...why yes, NightMistBlue it does :drool:

My My
04-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Thanks Scarlet. I have Epix so I will look forward to watching it. It looks like Amazon Prime members can get a 30 day free trial of Epix.

CAinOH
04-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Thanks Scarlet. I have Epix so I will look forward to watching it. It looks like Amazon Prime members can get a 30 day free trial of Epix.

That's great to know!

Scarlet Sun
04-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Hello Scarlet Sun! It’s a rare and welcome pleasure to see you. Is that the full title “Laurel Canyon: History of the Eagles and the Hippie Portrait”? The preview just has Laurel Canyon.
Thanks! I don't think it is. I was very lazy in creating the thread and just copied and pasted

CAinOH
04-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Well, darn! I just found out Spectrum is offering EPIX free for all subscribers... but just until April 19th (or some time around there). Too quick an offer to see this.

NightMistBlue
05-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Bernie Leadon talks to Rolling Stone about the Laurel Canyon documentary that Scarlet Sun hipped us to back in... was it April? Feels like 6, 7 months ago. Dang this corn teen life. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/bernie-leadon-eagles-laurel-canyon-1003169/amp/

UndertheWire
05-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the link to the interview with Bernie. My favourite line: "When I was in my twenties, people that were talking about what went on 50 years ago were talking about World War I."

New Kid In Town
05-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Wow, I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks NMB for finding that. Bernie always has such an interesting take on things.

sodascouts
05-23-2020, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I always love reading interviews with Bernie. Wouldn't it be great if he actually did a show every now and again? He does live outside Music City, after all! Of course, that's not going to happy anytime soon at this point...

A man who lived life on his own terms, left a lot of money on the table, and has no regrets.

I love that he got a chance to have one last hurrah with the Eagles before Glenn died. It doesn't surprise me that his favorite part of the show was when there was only four of them out there!

NightMistBlue
05-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Maybe it gives a more nuanced understanding that he preferred the simpler structure of the early Eagles. Not that he left because he didn’t like the more rock direction the band was taking.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Thanks SS and NMB. for keeping us up-to-date on this documentary. Bernie is such an interesting guy and I love listening to or reading his interviews. So honest and open. :nod:

Delilah
06-03-2020, 07:29 PM
I finally got a chance to watch the first part (thanks to a 7-day free trial on Amazon Prime). I thought it was well-done, lots of interesting photos and background info. There’s actually footage of Henry Diltz performing with his folk band. I almost didn’t recognize him. No mention of the Eagles in this segment.

MarthaJo56
06-03-2020, 09:39 PM
​I loved it. DVR-ed it and have watched it several times. I upgraded to Epix just to see it. I can't wait for part 2!

sodascouts
06-07-2020, 02:47 PM
I tried to watch it but I'd have to subscribe to a paid service. I can do the free trial like Delilah but I have a bad habit of forgetting to cancel in time... I'm going to wait and how much Eagles content there is first, although of course the rest of it is also interesting. If Part 2 doesn't have much...

MarthaJo56
06-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Well, darn! I just found out Spectrum is offering EPIX free for all subscribers... but just until April 19th (or some time around there). Too quick an offer to see this.

I upgraded just to watch & record Laurel Canyon! :yay:I can't wait for part 2 tonight!! One more hour! (California time) :smokin:

By the way...it's June! That means Glenn in his baseball uniform! Yummy!

CAinOH
06-08-2020, 08:03 AM
By the way...it's June! That means Glenn in his baseball uniform! Yummy!

Yes! But... look at the year. That was an error in the calendar template. I didn't notice it until a friend pointed it out to me. If I had seen it before printing it, I would have corrected it. The days are correct; the year is wrong. Too funny.

I've heard there's considerable Eagles play in the second part of the documentary.

UndertheWire
06-08-2020, 08:58 AM
I've not been able to track it down, yet. I saw Alison Ellwood's name so she will certainly have access to Eagles material but is it the same as in HotE?

My My
06-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Yes! But... look at the year. That was an error in the calendar template. I didn't notice it until a friend pointed it out to me. If I had seen it before printing it, I would have corrected it. The days are correct; the year is wrong. Too funny.

I've heard there's considerable Eagles play in the second part of the documentary.

That is funny, CA! I never even noticed until this post. Quite honestly, these days I mostly need a calendar to tell me what day of the week it is...

Btw, if you're going to turn back time, could you go back a little further?

CAinOH
06-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Btw, if you're going to turn back time, could you go back a little further?

How many decades are you looking for? ;)

shunlvswx
06-08-2020, 04:22 PM
I finally got a chance to watch the first part (thanks to a 7-day free trial on Amazon Prime). I thought it was well-done, lots of interesting photos and background info. There’s actually footage of Henry Diltz performing with his folk band. I almost didn’t recognize him. No mention of the Eagles in this segment.

I watched Part 1 last week and I didn't know Henry was in a band. That's new to me. I did recognize him. He really haven't changed other than he grew his hair long.

Delilah
06-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Watched Part 2 which focused on the “2nd wave” of artists to land in Laurel Canyon. There was a significant amount of Eagles coverage, given that various other artists were also featured. Again, it was well-done and informative, although it seemed there could have been more content to round it out.

I've not been able to track it down, yet. I saw Alison Ellwood's name so she will certainly have access to Eagles material but is it the same as in HotE?

I believe most of it was the same as the HOTE doc. There was voiceover commentary from Bernie, Don H and Glenn. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the HOTE doc but I think there may have been some new comments from Bernie and Don. Bernie’s comments about his experience at the Altamont concert may have come from that doc. Also, there was some video footage of the band performing at a large outdoor venue that I don’t recall seeing before. The band is introduced by Linda Ronstadt and they’re playing Already Gone. Don Felder is onstage with them. The video is kind of grainy, like it may have been recorded by a fan.

A couple of Eagles songs are played (or snippets of them) as background music so that was nice.

NightMistBlue
06-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Delilah, your description of a video from a large outdoor concert could be from Balboa Park, San Diego, September 1975. Have you seen the clips of Linda performing that show on YouTube?

UndertheWire
06-09-2020, 01:23 PM
I found an interview with Alison Ellwood about it. The bit about not having the artists on camera made me chuckle. Who could that have been?

Honestly, as people get older, they’re more self-conscious about how they look. And that’s been something that we’ve had to deal with rock docs in the past. [Laughs.] And, you know, the last thing you need is to have to keep reshooting things because people don’t like the way they look.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/laurel-canyon-director-alison-ellwood-185556724.html

Delilah
06-09-2020, 03:38 PM
Delilah, your description of a video from a large outdoor concert could be from Balboa Park, San Diego, September 1975. Have you seen the clips of Linda performing that show on YouTube?

I did a quick search for the video to be sure but no, it looks different. The backdrop isn’t the same. Also, in the doc, Linda is wearing a white blouse whereas in the San Diego clip, it’s red. Glenn is wearing a white t-shirt with letters on the back but I couldn’t read what it said. Bernie is wearing some kind of cap I haven’t seen him wear before.

BTW, there’s some Randy material that we’ve already seen but nevertheless it was cool to see it included. 8)

I found an interview with Alison Ellwood about it. The bit about not having the artists on camera made me chuckle. Who could that have been?

For starters I would say not David Crosby. It’s doubtful he would mind being on camera. Don H? Quite possibly. Maybe Steve Martin b/c he hasn’t been in the spotlight for a long while. Linda has been having health issues so maybe she wouldn’t care to be on video.

shunlvswx
06-09-2020, 10:01 PM
It is interesting that none of the artists were on camera other than Henry and that lady photographer(I forgot her). Just voiceovers. I think I remembered from articles that their were new interviews from some of the artists.

Some things Glenn said I've never heard him. Where did it come from? Some may had come from HOTE. I think that was the current Don talking. He added some info of the get together of the Eagles. He was named as one of the artists to have interviews. Some of the Eagles segments I've never seen. The guys riding horses during the Desperado part. I've never seen that video. I wonder how long it took Alison to do the documentary because we know Eliot Roberts and even Glenn were already dead.

To tell the truth. I enjoyed part 2 than part 1, but I enjoyed the whole thing. I don't know where I was, but I didn't know Graham Nash and Joni Mitchell were a couple.

sodascouts
06-11-2020, 12:19 AM
Hmm. I'm thinking I'll watch it, although it does sound like most of the stuff is HotE retread when it comes to our guys.

MarthaJo56
06-11-2020, 01:13 AM
Hmm. I'm thinking I'll watch it, although it does sound like most of the stuff is HotE retread when it comes to our guys.

It is, but it isn't. There's so much more. I realizeed why & how things turned out like they did. I DVR-ed and have watched it several times. Can't get enough.:heart:

KingWalsh
06-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Of like to watch, I thought we were getting free epix, but not...bummer. Looks cool. I love that they use the pic of Bernie for all the promos.

sodascouts
06-12-2020, 10:28 AM
It is, but it isn't. There's so much more. I realizeed why & how things turned out like they did. I DVR-ed and have watched it several times. Can't get enough.:heart:

High praise!

groupie2686
06-16-2020, 05:56 PM
I just watched this and enjoyed it...the second half more than the first, I'm not really into The Doors, the Mamas & the Papas, or CSNY that much, and there were a couple of people/bands I hadn't heard of. I loved that there was Eagles footage I hadn't seen (not a lot, but some) and that it featured Glenn so much. I thought it captured the spirit of the time pretty well.

LuvTim
07-06-2020, 03:36 PM
Just FYI: epix channel is promoting a period of free access until July 12th!
I accepted the free trial (through my Amazon prime account) in order to watch the Laurel Canyon doc and I enjoyed it, such as it was. It was too short to be comprehensive: they could have spent many more hours and covered more bands and more personalities, of course; but, for what it was, I enjoyed it. Would conditionally recommend, just don't expect too much. 😊
I would, personally, love to see a whole series on this time (early rock history- well, Eagles, especially, but I'm prejudiced that way) and place (Laurel Canyon, Troubadour, etc.!)

Just as an aside- on epix, while you're there and it's free, I would also recommend "Peanut Butter Falcon." Feel good movie. Very little violence, an adult can see it coming, but maybe caution for small children. 👍

UndertheWire
07-27-2020, 07:47 AM
In the UK, this is now availabloe on the Sky Documentary channel.

I enjoyed part one. The musical interludes were long enough to enjoy and I now have a better idea of what Laurel Canyon looks like. I certainly wouldn't like to take on those bends after an evening of drinking!

I'm looking forward to part 2 because 1972 onwards is really more my time.

Scamp
10-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Would love to see a history of the West Coast music scene during the 70's. There were so many places to play back then and a lot of people got their start in those now closed clubs.
Most of the canyon roads in the LA and Beverly Hills area started out as dirt fire roads. During the mid to late 60's hippies moved into a lot of the area. You could go into the canyons and see all the school buses parked around. Sometimes it was like a little bus village. They didn't bother anybody as long as they didn't cause any fires nobody bothered them A lot of Hollywood people started buying places in the canyons to build their houses or mansion, trying to get away from the public. Soon the roads were paved and they ran the hippies out so they could sell the land. That's why the roads are so narrow and wind around so much

Brooke
10-08-2020, 03:46 PM
I would love to see this, will try the free trial of epix. Thanks for the heads up, LT!