PDA

View Full Version : “The Last Days of Glenn Frey: Heartache Tonight” on HLN Sunday, April 4th

NightMistBlue
02-22-2021, 09:37 AM
There is a series on HLN (Headline News Network) called How It Really Happened, hosted by a guy named Hill Harper. They’ve done programs on the demise of Whitney Houston, Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael and David Cassidy. They’re going to be doing a program about Glenn Frey, but I don’t know what date it’s scheduled to be broadcast.

CAinOH
02-22-2021, 10:28 AM
There is a series on HLN (Headline News Network) called How It Really Happened, hosted by a guy named Hill Harper. They’ve done programs on the demise of Whitney Houston, Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael and David Cassidy. They’re going to be doing a program about Glenn Frey, but I don’t know what date it’s scheduled to be broadcast.

Thanks for posting that, NMB!

Here's the link to the episode guides:
https://www.cnn.com/shows/how-it-really-happened

NightMistBlue
02-24-2021, 08:33 AM
Hmm, those are older episodes and I don’t see Glenn mentioned. I just saw a commercial for the show and he is mentioned (among many other names) and his photo is shown. The program airs on Sundays at 9pm EST - not necessarily the Glenn episode, but I’m going to keep my eyes peeled.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up, NMB. I'll definitely has to keep an eye out for Glenn's episode.

If anyone sees an air date for this, please keep us posted.

Glennsallnighter
03-01-2021, 07:24 AM
Thanks for giving us the info NMB. Like the others I'd like to see this too though I doubt it will be aired in Ireland.

CAinOH
03-02-2021, 11:17 AM
https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/156623512_3247557345276477_8266690276601685991_n.j pg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=PlE-6MLdWncAX_5kjyV&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=bc6130a5a4db5d466ec01e953080761a&oe=606357A6

03-02-2021, 12:35 PM
This is really exciting news. I think I'll start a separate thread for this show and move these posts to the new thread.

New Kid In Town
03-02-2021, 12:36 PM
Thanks CA. I was waiting to see if/when a show like this would come. I am surprised the REELZ Network has not done something like this. I hope Glenn's family does not see it - it seems like such an invasion of privacy. Besides no one has ever talked much about Glenn's last couple of months in the hospital. Just a few statements by Bob and Irvin.

03-02-2021, 12:53 PM
New thread done!

NKIT - I haven't seen any episodes of this show before. Is the show just trashy journalism or is it more like a documentary? I am hoping for the latter. There aren't that many details about Glenn's illness so I am hoping it is going to be more of a tribute to his music and life.

New Kid In Town
03-02-2021, 12:59 PM
New thread done!

NKIT - I haven't seen any episodes of this show before. Is the show just trashy journalism or is it more like a documentary? I am hoping for the latter. There aren't that many details about Glenn's illness so I am hoping it is more of a tribute to his music and life.

Hi Dreamer - I don't know. I have never seen any of this networks shows. I have seen shows on the REELZ network. They are the network that does "The Breaking of the Band" series, "The Last Days of Whitney, Prince" etc and "Autopsy of...."
The Breaking of the Band on the Eagles was horrible. It made out like Don was the only talented person in the band and Glenn was the bad guy.

EDIT: As a side note - It does seem as if they have more RA and UC commercials on tv since Glenn passed. Just MHO though.

03-02-2021, 01:06 PM
OMG - I sure hope it's nothing like that. Guess I'll have to check out some of the episodes to prepare myself. :?

shunlvswx
03-02-2021, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised they haven't done an the Autopsy and the Last Days episode on Glenn (I know they did one on David who died 8 days before Glenn), but than again. Maybe that's good. I've seen some Autopsy episodes, but not the Last Days episodes.

KingWalsh
03-03-2021, 04:31 AM
Hopefully it’ll be done tastefully, reelz shows tend to be trashy/exploitive, in my opinion. I am not familiar with this series either.

groupie2686
03-03-2021, 10:36 PM
I don't even know if I have the HLN channel but I'll definitely check it out if I can! These sorts of shows are hit or miss, I hope it's not trashy like the reelz shows.

NightMistBlue
03-29-2021, 12:14 PM
It's not trashy like some of the programs mentioned but it isn't strictly a tribute either. The episodes I saw on Prince, George Michael and Whitney Houston were fairly balanced [going on at some length about their musical talent and career] but also pretty unstinting on the negative/controversial details.

For the Glenn episode, we can expect that they will give full due to his work ethic and talent but will also go into his conflicts with other band members, womanizing and drug use. The Frey family lawsuit against the doctor will certainly be addressed.

MarthaJo56
03-30-2021, 01:41 AM
I've got my DVR set.
HLN (used to be Headline News), is associated with CNN. The shows I've seen on the channel are not over-dramatic or full of false information. There is a bit of sensationalism, but not anything that's undue.
Yeah. Breaking Band was so bad. And remember the "Rock Legends" show on AXS? Those idiots got name pronunciations wrong (Fray) and facts totally wrong (Glenn came out California with Bob Seger's band) and dissed Glenn so much!
I really think the HLN will be more fact based. At least I hope so.

NightMistBlue
03-30-2021, 07:45 PM
Here’s the coming attraction. Warning: it’s sad.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOi9-mMD6RQ

MarthaJo56
03-31-2021, 03:35 PM
Here’s the coming attraction. Warning: it’s sad.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOi9-mMD6RQ

​It does look sad, but also a beautiful dedication to him. I look forward to seeing it.

shunlvswx
03-31-2021, 04:14 PM
It sounds interesting.

From the voices I heard, it sounds like Bill and Irving are part of it. I wonder if Cindy is ok with this. If I'm correct and Irving is in this, Cindy is probably ok with this episode.

FreyFollower
04-01-2021, 09:11 AM
I hope this is not a disappointment. We all would like to see a tribute, although a show that sensationalizes death is not likely to be what we have been hoping for. I think that we might find out about the status of Cindy's lawsuit.

UndertheWire
04-01-2021, 10:26 AM
I don't want to know too much about his death. There's something very disturbing about the idea of being put into an induced coma and then never waking up. In the last year, I've seen too many pictures of people on ventilators and it looks worse than I imagined.

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2021, 03:44 PM
I don't think I will be able to get it live on Sunday night (and I am 5 hrs ahead of the USA) but I do hope I will catch it at some stage afterwards. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

FreyFollower
04-01-2021, 05:22 PM
They will be repeating a lot, so hopefully folks will find a time that they can catch it. Looking ahead in my cable's listings, they will be repeating it at 11pm Sunday night, 5pm Monday, 12AM Wed., and at 8pm on 4/10 and 11 am on 4/11. All of these are Central times, so people would need to see how that relates to them; and what their provider says.
I only hope that it deserves to be repeated!:worried:

KingWalsh
04-01-2021, 07:48 PM
I have my dvr set and when I watch, I'll have my tissue box handy. :sad:

sodascouts
04-04-2021, 06:13 PM
I've got my TV set to record as well. I'm honestly a bit nervous about it.

NightMistBlue
04-04-2021, 09:45 PM
It’s good so far (almost 45 mins in); very respectful. I got a bit emotional when Don H visits Glenn in the hospital in 1990.

NightMistBlue
04-04-2021, 09:47 PM
Aww, I think there were a couple pics from Glenn’s marriage to Cindy

sodascouts
04-04-2021, 10:37 PM
It was a lot better than I feared from the title. It focused on his life rather than his death for most of it, although his health problems were of course a major component and dominated the last ten minutes. They do mention the lawsuit, which has not yet been resolved.

No appearances from band members, close friends, or family, but at least there were interviews with people who knew him at one time and people who were there at key moments being discussed.

There were even a few clips I hadn’t seen before.

I noticed a couple minor errors such as getting the date wrong on his HFO diverticulitis attack, but overall it seemed pretty accurate.

I have mixed feelings. I guess it’s a nice tribute on the one hand for the most part, on the other hand, I really hated listening to a doctor sit there and give me a run down of all the things that probably contributed to his death. It spoils what came before to a degree.

I have been trying not to focus too much on the Eagles since I’m not going to go see any shows live but watching this just brings those emotions back up to full intensity. I will never stop missing Glenn Frey.

shunlvswx
04-05-2021, 07:16 AM
It was a good episode. It seem like they got most of their info from HOTE and put it in their own words, but I’m glad it wasn’t like the other specials that other stations put out that wasn’t good.

I was screaming at my tv about that one information they got wrong about them stopping the hell freezes over tour about he got sick.

It was nice seeing pictures from Cindy and Glenn’s wedding (I think it was). I never seen pictures from their wedding.

NightMistBlue
04-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Was the error about the HFO tour stoppage in the year: did they say it was 1995 when it was actually 1994?

chaim
04-06-2021, 02:46 AM
It was a relief to hear that it was done with respect. I hope I'll get to see it some day.

New Kid In Town
04-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Was the error about the HFO tour stoppage in the year: did they say it was 1995 when it was actually 1994?

Hi NMB how are you doing ? The tour took a break in apx. Sept. 1994 so Glenn could have the surgery. I believe they resumed in Jan. 1995(I saw them in March 1995). A lot seemed to come from the HOTE movie. I thought it was respectful but nothing I(we) had not heard before. I was surprised to see Bobby "Norton" Thompson speaking. The guy he co-authored his book with stated he suffered from "slight dementia".
Shun - The pictures from Glenn & Cindy's wedding were in the Thompson book. The first time I remember seeing those pictures were in his book.
I think the Doctor did a good job explaining how serious RA is and it's long term effects on the body. Sad to hear but gave insight to how serious the condition is.

EDIT: Is it just me or does there seem to be tons more commercials on RA & UC since Glenn's passing ?
Chaim - I bet it will appear on You Tube soon. Hopefully you can see it than.

shunlvswx
04-06-2021, 08:33 AM

Yes that was the error.

shunlvswx
04-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Shun - The pictures from Glenn & Cindy's wedding were in the Thompson book. The first time I remember seeing those pictures were in his book.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. I bought his book, but I really haven't started reading yet. It was still cool to see them.

04-09-2021, 05:14 PM
Yeah - I agree that, overall, the show was done tastefully and there wasn't a lot of sensationalism. I was relieved and found the show entertaining, albeit not too informative for us hardcores. However, I did hear a couple of things I'd not heard before, as well as, seeing a few photos that I hadn't seen before. It seemed that Bobby 'Norton' Thompson was a major contributor. I'm glad to see that Glenn Frey Online seemed to be a very useful resource as well ... especially the photo gallery. I'm glad that they did this - it is a fitting tribute to Glenn.

KingWalsh
04-26-2021, 04:10 AM
I finally got around to watching it. I was worried, but you guys said it was tasteful and I felt they did a good job. Wasn’t sensationalized, however I thought the host was annoying, had an over the top delivery, kinds Casey Kasem-ish. Otherwise respectful.