PDA

View Full Version : American Idol

Pages : 1 [2] 3

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 03:55 PM
That was lame of Ryan. I don't think the judges wanted to use it on Lil, though, because they are always trashing her and told her "You aren't the artist we thought you were" which sounded like a write-off comment to me. You're right about Simon not sounding happy about saving Matt though.

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Like I said, since the top three (four) weren't in jeopardy, it was a wasted save IMO.

MikeA
04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
What's weird though is that I thought that at least Ryan would know who was voted off if not all of the judges before hand. Ryan pretty much has to know because he has to add all the drama of pulling down the bottom THREE and has to eliminate the one going home. He had to know it wasn't "Lil" so where did that question even come from? Think he was just trying to trap Simon who might NOT know who is voted off?

It was just strange how that went down. I wonder if anyone is going to question them on it publically...besides HERE anyway <LOL>

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Is there anyplace I can go to rewatch that part?

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 04:12 PM
http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-season-8-top-7-results-video.htm

Brooke
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Didn't they "miscue" a bit between Ryan and Simon when Ryan asked if they might have someone they might use the "save" on. Simon said "maybe one of them" and Ryan then said said something about Lil as though it was a foregone conclusion that it would be her and not Matt? They broke for a commercial right then. It was a pretty brutal thing for Ryan to let slip. Especially Lil was not the one who was voted off. It was Matt that Simon saved....and from the tone of his response, I didn't get the impression he was too keen on bailing Matt. Reading a LOT between the lines here.

I caught this, too, and thought it was a very strange thing for Ryan to do.

sodascouts
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
BTW - anyone notice how Allison botched the lyrics to Maniac in the Group Sing?

Prettymaid
04-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks Soda.

"Is it Lil?" Why would Ryan say that!!!???!!! Unless he was going for the suspenseful "Is it Lil or is it Matt?" and got interrupted by Simon.

ETA: I missed the group sing.

eaglesvet
04-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for posting the site to watch all that action....I wasn't able to watch any of the show on Wed., so I was glad to be able to see all the controversy surrounding Ryan's slip-up. I have no idea why he mentioned Lil as if she were a foregone conclusion. Weird.

I'm sure the seeds for the judge's save were planted the season where Chris Daughtry was voted off prematurely, much to everyone's shock and dismay--public and judges alike. Obviously, he had a real chance to win the title, as he was the forerunner all season long (and look how far he's come since then!) That would've been the perfect place to use the save!

sodascouts
04-17-2009, 12:51 AM
You're right, they probably created it with people like Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson in mind. That said, the rule is that the save can't be used when there's only 4 left... so ironically Daughtry, who came in fourth his season, still would've been ineligible for it even if it had existed at the time!

sodascouts
04-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Check out this sweet article where the contestants celebrate Matt's save and show their support of each other:

http://www.kfsm.com/entertainment/sns-american_idol-save-party-how,0,6602384.story

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Ryan Seacrest posted this today on Twitter:

"Our dear friend paula abdul on idol set today working out the contestants choreography for tomorrow's disco theme."

Hmmmm! Should be interesting!!

eaglesvet
04-21-2009, 06:55 AM
I can say it's not a theme I'm looking forward to. Maybe we'll be surprised by something Adam does...what d'ya think?

Prettymaid
04-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Ryan Seacrest posted this today on Twitter:

"Our dear friend paula abdul on idol set today working out the contestants choreography for tomorrow's disco theme."

Hmmmm! Should be interesting!!

Okay, can I say it without getting booed? Good thing Scotts gone! (Thinking about how that choreography would go...)

eaglesvet
04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
I noticed that AI started the first singer at 8:03 instead of 8:15...let's see if they finish on time today!

Kris just finished an awesome version of Donna Summers' hit...I loved it waaayy better than the original! I missed the reason he told Ryan as to why he picked that song. Anyone remember? It got a laugh from the audience.

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I didn't hear Kris say anything funny, so no idea, EV!

My thoughts on tonight:

Lil Rounds: She can't even pull it out on disco night. She's a goner!

Kris: I like this kid more every time I hear him (with the exception of the awful version of ASWTDID). Great job!

Danny: Like the judges, I was worried about how he would do on disco night. But he hit it out of the park. Awesome! (But sexiest voice ever, Paula? Let's not go too far)

Allison: Not as impressive as usual, I thought. She has a great voice, but I didn't really "feel" the song. Once again, I agree with the judges that slowing it down was a mistake.

Adam: I love the way he defied everyone's expectations, and I also appreciated him being a bit more restrained. He's very vocally precise. Impressive.

Matt: He started out wonderfully, but faltered a bit on the high notes at the end, I think. I'm afraid it won't be enough to save him another week. :(

Anoop: It's the opposite of Kris - I like him less every week. His voice is good, but not very distinctive. He's just not that entertaining. Simon was right! (Love the facial hair, though.)

Bottom three: Lil, Matt, Anoop

Who's going home: Lil and Matt, I'm afraid, although I'd prefer it to be Anoop!

DonFan
04-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Kris nailed it--wonderful arrangement this week; Danny was great as well. I was iffy about Allison's performance, and I didn't like Adam's arrangement at all (surprise) but I still love his vocals.

I definitely agree with your thoughts on the bottom three, Soda. I think Matt may stay another week, and Anoop and Lil will be voted off.

Question: do any of you actually vote?

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I text vote, since I have AT&T. I don't have the patience (nor the desire) to "power vote" for two hours straight, but I might vote 5 or 6 times for a contestant - usually Matt, lol.

eaglesvet
04-21-2009, 11:14 PM
As I said, I loved Kris tonite---also Danny. To round out the top 4, I'm going with Adam and Allison. The reason I'm saying top four is that that is our household vote total. If for some reason, one of my family members doesn't vote one night, I take it upon myself to vote for them (using my choice, lol.)

Prettymaid
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't think at this point I even need to do the list. It's obvious which three are in the bottom. I don't care which two of them go home tonight, but I will guess Lil and Matt.

I see they did away with the big judges introduction at the beginning. Also they went back to the format where they start with Randy each time ( except for after Kris, when Kara obviously forgot the new format!)

I really dislike disco, so I was hoping there would be some songs changed around. Props to Adam and Kris for surprising us with their performances.

Brooke
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Ok, I wanted to write my thoughts before I read everyone else’s. I also tried to write down my thoughts after each performance last night before the judges did their judging. I am easily swayed by everyone’s opinions!

Lil- I thought she did great and looked great! That black body stocking! Whoa girl!

Kris- He is just so cute that I love him! He just puts his all in to his singing and I just fall in love with that sweet face! I hardly recognized the song, but it was very funky! Good? I really didn’t like it, but that's ok!

So, I obviously don’t know a thing about this. I’ve struck out twice now as far as what the judges said!

I felt really sorry for Lil here. They said she wouldn’t be back! How rude! And they loved Kris’ version!

Danny-I’m lukewarm here. Yes, he sings great, but I just don’t think he has any stage presence.

Allison-Oh my! She looked soooooo much better! Her outfit really did a lot for her. I thought she sounded great, but didn’t really like the arrangement. Hopefully, she will ditch the "ruffles thing" for good. And I still think she needs to sing something young!

Adam-Beautiful as usual for me, but it didn’t sound 'disco' to me. As usual, the judges loved him and I do too.

Matt-I thought he was very good, but hated his hat. Too funky for me.

Anoop-He really does have a beautiful voice, and he looked really good. Loved his pink shirt (like that Eagles guy we all know and love! :wink:) Still looking for that ‘it’ factor.

Bottom three: Lil, Matt, and Anoop

Going home: Poor Lil if the judges persuaded America, and Matt.

I do agree with Randy; all these people can really sing. It’s gonna be tough. For me anyways.

I forgot to mention last week-what was Katie Couric doing there? They kept showing her, but never mentioned her that I heard.

Now I'm going to go back and read everyone's comments and see how far off I am! :lol:

Prettymaid
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey Brooke, good idea to write your own reviews before reading anyone elses or hearing the judges.

When Kris first started his song I thought it sounded a lot like The Doobie Brother Long Train Runnin'!

Brooke, do you think the judges are rude when they tell someone that they'll probably go home this week? I know Simon can be abrupt, but he's honest!

I didn't like Allison's outfit at all, but oh well, at least she sings good!

I think the contestants are not discouraged from taking a song and changing it's style, thus we weren't hearing "disco" from Adam and Kris last night. In other words, I think they had to choose a disco song, and then whatever they did with it, that was up to them. Can be risky!

Almost every week they show celebrities in the audience. Occasionally they'll point them out, but it's rare. Must be one of the hottest tickets in town!

Brooke
04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Brooke, do you think the judges are rude when they tell someone that they'll probably go home this week? I know Simon can be abrupt, but he's honest!

I know. I'd just never make it. I'd be heartbroken and burst in to tears right then and there. Of course, I can't carry a tune in a bucket either! :laugh:

I didn't like Allison's outfit at all, but oh well, at least she sings good!

Now see, I liked it much better than the last couple outfits. It was just more flattering for her, I thought. Of course, I wouldn't wear any of them either!

I think the contestants are not discouraged from taking a song and changing it's style, thus we weren't hearing "disco" from Adam and Kris last night. In other words, I think they had to choose a disco song, and then whatever they did with it, that was up to them. Can be risky!

Yeah, I see. Could be very risky!

Prettymaid
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Question: do any of you actually vote?

I have never voted. And I've only purchased three songs from Idols or contestants.

David Cook's version of Billie Jean - it's awesome!

Bucky Covington's A Different World - I can relate so much to that song!

Kellie Clarkson - The Trouble With Love Is - from the soundtrack Love Actually, I love her vocals on this - check it out!

eaglesvet
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
I never really pay that much attention to the group sing, but tonight I did. Definite lip-synching going on! Especially noticeable with the men, for some reason. Maybe because they had so much to worry about with their dance moves...which were pretty awesome, I must say. Good work, Paula! Boy, did she get some beauuuutiful flowers!

DonFan
04-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I was right this week--Anoop and Lil are gone, and Soda gets to vote for Matt one more week. And I agree, EV--Paula's disco dance number was wonderful! :partytime:

sodascouts
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Yay! The two I wanted gone are gone, and Matt sticks around! He wasn't even in the bottom three! WOOT!

BTW, just discovered that the official American Idol site has a video archive of the season's performances (http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_8/performances/), just in case you missed some!

sodascouts
04-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Some other thoughts....

That opening number was cheesetastic! Yeah, we wish they wouldn't so obviously lip sync, but the cool 70s schtick makes up for it. When they lined up for that Soul Train dance routine, I was like "Go Paula! This is awesome!"

The disco medley - yikes. What was that second lady wearing? Oh my gosh! She looked like a bird and that dress was WAY too short for a lady of her age. Speaking of short, Paula's dress was way up there too. Ladies, leave the micro-minis to Britney Spears! The first lady sounded OK, but struggled a bit. Bird lady did a lot better, although perhaps I was too distracted by her outfit to notice any problems. KC's voice has held up - would've rather seen the Sunshine Band than the Well-Endowed Backup Singers.

Lil's departure was a bit abrupt but at least they got it over with quickly. Anoop seemed resigned and ready to go. Both sounded a lot better on their sing-outs than they did last night, especially Lil. The right people went home, IMHO.

I was surprised that they didn't announce a theme for next week, or any special guest/mentor. Wonder if Ryan forgot?

Maleah
04-23-2009, 01:20 AM
I have never voted. And I've only purchased three songs from Idols or contestants.

David Cook's version of Billie Jean - it's awesome!

Bucky Covington's A Different World - I can relate so much to that song!

Kellie Clarkson - The Trouble With Love Is - from the soundtrack Love Actually, I love her vocals on this - check it out!

I have the first and last ones! :lol: And let me tell you, David's cover of Billie Jean is even more awesome live! He nailed every note when we saw him on the Idol Tour last year! Flawless!

And that is one of my very favorite Kelly Clarkson songs! She has such an amazing voice and she really shows it off on that song! She didn't sing it live though when we saw her with Reba :(

And yay...my two least favorites went home! Now it gets tough! Adam's my least fave but obviously he'll be there to the end unless America makes a Daughtry booboo. lol

eaglesvet
04-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes, Soda, I can appreciate your comments on the Disco Medley by the Has-Beens! I can only imagine what it must have seemed like to those too young to remember those songs, if that's what we were thinking. Actually, you might even be too young to remember those songs when they first came out?!

Believe it or not, Band of Gold was the #1 song in 1970 on my local NYC radio station's Top 100 countdown that they did every New Year's Eve. Don't ask me how I remember that, but I do. I guess just because the song is so unique...a one-hit wonder, I think. However, she definitely was "pitchy," to quote the AI judges. And her moves were a little much for a woman of her age-- whatever that might be. (BTW, I thought Paula pulled both her own dance moves in the studio and her mini onstage off very well! She's in tremendous shape, which you really don't get the sense of when she's sitting behind that desk all the time.)

I got distracted for Thelma Houston's (Bird Lady) number to put Graham up to bed, but I got the sense that her vocals were a lot better. The outfit was something the likes of which I have never seen, however. KC used to be a heartthrob, back in the day...now he looks like an overweight linebacker! Did just OK with the song, but he sure looked pleased to be working again, even if it was with the WEBS (see Soda's post for group's full name.)

I am one of the few AI fans that liked both Davids last year...Cook and Archuleta. Drove most people crazy, because they were either for one or the other, and that was the polarizing factor in the competition. That being said, so far I really like Archie's 2 singles that have come out of his album (ditto for Cook's album!) I thought he was as cute as ever singing tonight, never mind that his vocals are as clear and pitch-perfect as ever. And he definitely was having a good time performing!

sodascouts
04-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Well, I am a bit young to remember the songs when they first came out (I was born in December of 1974). In fact, I couldn't remember the name of the women after their performances! I didn't recognize the song "Band of Gold," but I've listened to enough oldies stations to recognize "Don't Leave Me This Way" and "Get Down Tonight." (The WEBS - lol!)

And while Paula has a rockin' body, I still maintain that women over 35 should not wear micro-minis!

I'm afraid I didn't get a chance to listen to Archie's performance, as I got a phone call. Since I didn't watch last season, though, I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much!

MikeA
04-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Does the image of a canary with her tail stuck in a wall outlet bring to mind anything?

As for Disco....

Nuf said.

Prettymaid
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I was a little annoyed that they were lip syncing during a singing competition, even if it was for the group number, but I enjoyed the dancing Paula taught them, so no big deal.

I thought the first lady (Band of Gold) was way too out of shape to be moving that much while she was trying to sing! She sounded out of breath the whole time! I think KC still permorms regularly, although I'm not sure if it's with the Sunshine Band.

Maleah, I just purchased Kelly's The Trouble With Love Is the other day while I was researching songs from movies on ITunes. Ive not even seen the movie Love Actually, but I came across the song and love it!

I was listening intently at the end of the show for Ryan to announce next week's theme. You know how sometimes you strain so hard to hear something that you're not sure if you heard it or not? Well, I thought Ryan said something about The Doors and asked Hubby if he had heard it, too. He just looked at me and said "Revive Jim Morrison? I don't think so..."

Brooke
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Does the image of a canary with her tail stuck in a wall outlet bring to mind anything?

As for Disco....

Nuf said.

I'm with you Mike! :lol:

I missed the first ladies performances, so I must go watch those after all these comments! As for mini skirts on older ladies, I agree with you Soda. I keep getting a visual of Tina Turner there, but I bet she looks a lot better than bird lady!

I was surprised to see Allison in the bottom 2, but am glad Lil and Anoop are gone.

Molly
04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm with you Mike! :lol:

I missed the first ladies performances, so I must go watch those after all these comments! As for mini skirts on older ladies, I agree with you Soda. I keep getting a visual of Tina Turner there, but I bet she looks a lot better than bird lady!

I was surprised to see Allison in the bottom 2, but am glad Lil and Anoop are gone.

My son had to leave the room when Thelma Houston (Bird Lady) was singing. He was afraid she was going to trip and he'd see her whowhatwhere.

Harry Casey performed at Summerfest a couple of years ago with the "Sunshine Band". He still sounds pretty good -but I miss his mane of hair.

eaglesvet
04-24-2009, 07:08 AM
I was a little annoyed that they were lip syncing during a singing competition, even if it was for the group number, but I enjoyed the dancing Paula taught them, so no big deal.

I thought the first lady (Band of Gold) was way too out of shape to be moving that much while she was trying to sing! She sounded out of breath the whole time! I think KC still permorms regularly, although I'm not sure if it's with the Sunshine Band.

Maleah, I just purchased Kelly's The Trouble With Love Is the other day while I was researching songs from movies on ITunes. Ive not even seen the movie Love Actually, but I came across the song and love it!

I was listening intently at the end of the show for Ryan to announce next week's theme. You know how sometimes you strain so hard to hear something that you're not sure if you heard it or not? Well, I thought Ryan said something about The Doors and asked Hubby if he had heard it, too. He just looked at me and said "Revive Jim Morrison? I don't think so..."
I didn't hear Ryan say anything, but the Doors...I don't know about that. Could be a rough night. Although they did manage to make it through Disco Night better than I expected...

eaglesvet
04-24-2009, 07:09 AM

As for Disco....

Nuf said.
LOL!

sodascouts
04-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I read on an American Idol forum that the theme next week might be "Jazz Standards," but they weren't positive. We'll see!

Molly
04-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I read on an American Idol forum that the theme next week might be "Jazz Standards," but they weren't positive. We'll see!

I read in this morning's paper that next week's theme is songs of the "original Rat Pack" -but that seems kind of limited. Sammy's "Candy Man", anyone?

Prettymaid
04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I read in this morning's paper that next week's theme is songs of the "original Rat Pack" -but that seems kind of limited. Sammy's "Candy Man", anyone?

Ooooh, let's bring back Megan! :steviesmack: Owwww! Never mind. :p

eaglesvet
04-26-2009, 02:32 AM
I heard the "Rat Pack" on our radio station as well. Frank Sinatra has an arsenal of songs, but that's goin' a bit far back in time for these contestants! Although there are alot of good classics there. I think Dean Martin was a rat-packer, but I couldn't even name one song he sang! Who else?

I can see Adam really workin' this one to the hilt, and probably making it pay off!

Freypower
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I can name two Dean Martin songs - Everybody Loves Somebody & That's Amore.

sodascouts
04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
The rat pack- interesting! And surprising.

I wonder who will do "My Way"? lol

Molly
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
The rat pack- interesting! And surprising.

I wonder who will do "My Way"? lol

Ugh! You know someone will. It's probably required.

I'm still holdin' out for "Candy Man", with a little soft shoe.

Good luck finding a mentor. I think the originals are all long gone. Maybe Frank Sinatra, Jr.

Prettymaid
04-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I can name two Dean Martin songs - Everybody Loves Somebody & That's Amore.

How about Dean's theme song - Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime! :nod:

MikeA
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Man, everything I've heard mentioned sounds like elevator music! Why don't they just let these young folks do their own thing and judge them on how well they do it. Seriously, how many of these potential "stars" are going to be singing Dean Martin or anything close to it?

Prettymaid
04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree Mike. I'm not looking too forward to this week.

Freypower
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
How about Dean's theme song - Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime! :nod:

That is what I said. The song is called Everybody Loves Somebody.

Prettymaid
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
That is what I said. The song is called Everybody Loves Somebody.

:doh:Sorry FP. I don't know what I was thinking about. :blush:

MikeA
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
:doh:Sorry FP. I don't know what I was thinking about. :blush:

It's those subliminal messages FP embeds in her posts!

eaglesvet
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
::chills:: from Kris's performance! Jamie Foxx was right on!
Dark horse, Kara?

Allison did one of my most favorite songs ever...Someone to Watch Over Me...and I thought she did a most impressive job as well! (I also love Sting's version of that song, BTW.)

eaglesvet
04-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Danny was hot tonite too!

Stars
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Danny has been my favorite from the beginning, and he remains my favorite. I would love to see him win!:pray:

sodascouts
04-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Got back home and watched it online! Here are some of my thoughts:

Kris - Not his best performance by any means. He sounded like he wasn't with the music at times. Perhaps since I adore that song I'm a bit more critical.

Danny - When I realized he was doing Come Rain or Come Shine, which coincidentally I was just talking about in chat the other night (Don Henley does a great version of this), I perked up. The first part bored me a bit, but then he kicked it up a notch and won me over. He's no Henley, but who is? lol

Allison - She sounded and looked lovely. A great performance.

Matt - His bluesy voice was perfect for this! Like Danny, he kicked it up a notch at the end and pulled it out!

Adam - Liked it up until the last bit. Not as good as last week.

Bottom three: It's pretty clear that Matt, Allison, and Kris are gonna be bottom 3, barring a shocker.

Who's going home: Allison, probably. :: crossing fingers it's not Matt ::

Prettymaid
04-29-2009, 07:39 AM
I thought everybody did well tonight. At first I was unimpressed with the idea of Jamie Foxx as a mentor, but he seemed intense! Maybe he did help them!

I really only have comments about two of the performances. First, I agree with Soda about Danny. While he was performing I found myself watching and talking to my cat! And then I thought to myself, "This is the problem I have with Danny-I get bored during his performances." And then BAM! Suddenly my eyes were glued to the TV! He was great, better than I've ever heard him! What a way to end the song. Amazing!

Secondly, I think Adam could actually be in trouble for the first time. His perfomances are becoming too caboret, and he's starting to look too flamboyant. Now don't get me wrong - I'm still a fan, but he could very well be in the bottom three tonight!

Who's going home? Sorry Soda, Matt's time is up!

sodascouts
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Watching the results show - that Ford commercial was so lame! But the group sing went well. Matt's dancing was so cute!

Adam in the bottom three???? I think PM should start a "psychic friends network." Hope she's wrong about Matt though!

eaglesvet
04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I had to look it up...believe it or not, Natalie Cole is 59 years old. She looks pretty amazing, both her skin and her figure. And wearing a mini...

In the few past seasons that I have seen, whenever Ryan has made a contestant guess which group he/she belongs in (top 3 or bottom 3) like Adam had to tonight--I've always seen the contestant be PC and simply sit down in the middle of the stage; ie, refusing to choose. David Archuleta did this once last season, and I saw at least someone else do this one other time. It saves the awkward moment when you think you are safe... and you really are not.:worried:

sodascouts
04-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Aw, man!!! Bye Matty!!!

:weep: :weep: :weep:

But what a classy sing-out!

Prettymaid
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Adam in the bottom three???? I think PM should start a "psychic friends network." Hope she's wrong about Matt though!

Oh Soda, I knew you were going to say that. ;)

Next week's rock and roll! :yay: Finally!

eaglesvet
04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree about Matt's classy exit!

And R&R next week---YES!

Maleah
04-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Can't wait for next week! Wasn't a big fan of this week, except Danny's. I got a little excited to see Adam in the bottom 3. I know that sounds horrible but I think that he was getting the mindset of "I've got this in the bag" so I think he needed it.

How pathetic am I that I was looking up which Eagles related songs were released in 1983 so I would know what songs I would have had to choose from for the "birth year" week. :lol: "Dirty Laundry" was in the top 100 ;)

DonFan
04-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Since the site was down today (and I missed it--I'm glad it is up again!) I was unable to post my thoughts about last night's show until tonight---but here they are anyway:

I like Alison but I felt that her voice is too "Janis Joplin" sounding to sing standards. She is very mature for her age, however. Hard to believe she is the same age as my daughter Christina.
I really liked Danny's performance, but I like Don's "Come Rain or Come Shine" soooo much better. :-) Sorry Danny, there is no comparison!
Kris did well--he's such a cute-pie.
I still think Adam is the best singer--but he may be too theatrical to win the entire thing. This week's performance was a little too over-the-top, even for me.

Sorry, Soda, I didn't like Matt's song at all--and now we have said goodbye to him.

R&R week should be GOOD.

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I've been wondering throughout this season, when they send one of the bottom three back to the couch, do you think the one they send back is always the one with the most votes of the three? Or do they just mix it up for the drama? I tend to think it's all about the drama. Ryan has never disclosed what the vote count order was for the bottom three, only that the one going home got the least amount of votes.

sodascouts
04-30-2009, 10:15 AM
There's been some controversy about this. My understanding is that unless Ryan explicitly says it's the "Bottom 2" in votes, then we can't assume it is. For instance, sometimes he'll say, "Only 3000 votes separated you two" and we can assume they were the bottom two vote getters. But when he makes no mention of that kind of thing and just says "You're safe," it indicates there might be some manipulation going on!

I personally loved the drama. Made things a lot more interesting than the bottom three I predicted - Daughtry proved even a front-runner can get a shocker boot, so we were all on the edge of our seats! And Adam will cruise through the next round, as all his hardcore fans who were complacently saying "He's safe, I don't need to vote" will be power-voting for two hours straight next week! lol

Brooke
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, I haven't read anyone's posts yet, but I thought Adam was magnificent and clearly the stand out Tuesday night. I thought all the others were really good, but his performance was over the top for me.

Just goes to show what I know after seeing him in the bottom three last night! Shocker!

And I felt so sorry for Matt. He just looked so hurt I thought he was going to cry. I nearly did for him. I really thought Allison would go. And I think she needs to go next. She's just too young and I think Simon made a point that he didn't think that she thought she could win and you need that confidence.

Now, what did everyone else think.....going to read!

sodascouts
04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I got a little choked up for Matt too, Brooke, especially when his face crumpled as his goodbye video was played. Poor sweetie! Here's hoping that, like the aforementioned Daughtry, his loss in American Idol won't hamper his career.

Brooke
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
:lol: Pm, good call on Adam. You are psychic!

And I hated that Ryan asked Adam which group he belonged to. How embarrassing!

Danny really tried to win me over with Come Rain or Come Shine, but he's definitely no Don. But as Soda said, who is?!

Yay for rock & roll next week!

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
And I hated that Ryan asked Adam which group he belonged to. How embarrassing!

That happens every year Brooke. As EV said, usually the person 'in the middle' will magnanimously stay in the middle and refuse to choose, but Adam must have never seen the previous seasons and felt pressured to choose. He obviously chose the group he thought was safe, feeling he had done well enough to stay another week, but come on - it's a no win situation whichever group you pick. If you pick the 'safe' group you appear overconfident and possibly egotistical, and if you choose the 'bottom' group you appear to lack confidence in yourself! But I have to admit I chuckled to myself when Ryan took him by the arm and quickly sent him to the bottom three! It's down to four - everybody's vulnerable now!

Brooke
04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I was actually surprised that Adam made a choice. I was thinking to myself, don't!

Oh, I forgot to add that I liked Kris's plaid shirt. He reminded me of Don! Just a little! :wink:

MikeA
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Just brought to my mind in reading the new Led Zep thread:

Zep had so much variety in the songs they did over the years. I don't think Idol has ever had a complete Zep night! Now that's one that I would love to watch. There is a song in their discography for just about any type vocalist.

Check the Zep thread out that PM started. I posted a Discography there. Talk about a soundtrack of my life! There has not been much happen in my life that Walsh and Page haven't been part of!

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Check the Zep thread out that PM started. I posted a Discography there. Talk about a soundtrack of my life! There has not been much happen in my life that Walsh and Page haven't been part of!

Mike, I started the Cat Stevens thread - TBF started the Zep thread. Now try to keep up! :hilarious:

Molly
04-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Next week...any thoughts? Slash is the mentor -will they go the hair band route? (Tho GNR probably doesn't deserve to be lumped in with hair bands, IMO.)

Kris - How about a John Mellencamp song?

Allison - Anything girl rocker would work for her. Joplin, Heart, Sass Jordan, Joss Stone, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett -take your pick.

Adam -I think a Kiss song would be appropriate. It's theatrical and if would finally make sense for him to sing with his tongue sticking out. :nahnah:

Danny - Stevie Ray Vaughn might work. But, I'd love to see him do Sass Jordan's "I Will Make You a Believer". Seems kind of appropriate.

TimothyBFan
04-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Next week...any thoughts? Slash is the mentor -will they go the hair band route? (Tho GNR probably doesn't deserve to be lumped in with hair bands, IMO.)

Are you serious? OMG!!! Now I will have to watch this show!! Shoot--I thought I would be able to go the whole season and not have to watch it. SLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! :partytime::partytime::partytime::partytime::party time::partytime::partytime:

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh good, Willie if you watch, you have to give a review of the performances- not just Slash, okay?

sodascouts
04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Rock is such a broad field that it's hard to say! I'd love to hear Springsteen or U2... both Kris and Danny could do those up right. I can see Adam doing Aerosmith or something in that vein.

I hope Allison doesn't return to the well of Heart, though. One thing I didn't like about Tatiana (remember her?) was that she was always singing Whitney Houston numbers. The judges always compare Allison to Pink, so maybe she should do her.

Now that Matt's gone I'm having trouble picking someone to root for! I like Allison, but I'm not sure she's mature enough to give the music the emotional understanding it takes to raise it to the next level. Kris is so appealing, but honestly he doesn't really have a presence that makes him stand out. Adam is... not my thing. I guess that leaves me with Danny... which is good, because it looks very likely that he'll win it!

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't really know who to root for either!

Maleah
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I was amused that Adam "chose" a side. I don't think the reason the OTHER contestants chose to stay in the middle was because it had been done before. I think they stayed because they didn't want to choose between their friends as well as come across as arrogant.....which is kind of how I think Adam came across when he did so (don't shoot!). How embarrassing to be pulled back and told you were in the bottom 3.

Rock is going to be an awesome week! Can't wait for it!

Honestly Adam could probably do anything from Zep, Journey, or Queen. His voice at times reminds me very much of Steve Perry and the lead singer of Queen.

Other than that it's really hard to say. I could hear Kris doing a more acoustic type again like U2's "One." In my mind I can totally hear Danny doing "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Allison's a little tougher, can't think of anything right now.

TimothyBFan
05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
So I don't miss Slash--when exactly is this on? I'm sorry---I really don't pay much attention to it!

Prettymaid
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Tuesdays at 7:00, so that's 8 your time, and the results show is Wednesday at 8:00 (9:00 your time).

Brooke
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I really don't know who to pick either. I think I'm in line with Soda. Although I like Adam, he's a bit over the top for me.

Prettymaid
05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah, it's sad to say but I really don't care who wins from this group. The only thrill is picking the one I think will win. Hmmm, can I wait one more week to do that? Let's see who leaves this coming week and then I will predict a winner.

Last year was much more fun for me. I actually liked David Cook so much better than David A. It was fun to root for him!

Molly
05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
We went to the Brewers game last night (they lost so we won't even go there!)

We went on the wrong Friday! I've read that if Danny makes it thru next week and goes on to have his "day" in his hometown (Milwaukee) -he'll be scheduled to sing the Anthem at next Friday's Brewers game. Shoot!!! Have to start working on Steve to for more tickets.

sodascouts
05-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Ooh, hope that works out for you!

Just read that instead of getting to sing two songs each, the kids are gonna sing one song each, then duet with each other.

eaglesvet
05-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Are you serious? OMG!!! Now I will have to watch this show!! Shoot--I thought I would be able to go the whole season and not have to watch it. SLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! :partytime::partytime::partytime::partytime::party time::partytime::partytime:
Willie, too funny! You are now committing not only to Tuesday, but also to Wedsnesday night. And you must be careful to avoid that draw that will pull you in week after week, season after season...especially if you have any teenagers in the house who might be watching with you. That's how it started with me in season 5 (well, minus the teenagers...it was more like elementary school agers...)---nevertheless, I held off till about this point in that season, while the rest of my family had been watching since the auditions that year for the first time. Then, I sat in with them on one late-season show, and I was hooked! I still don't care for the auditions in the beginning, and I can survive if I miss the results show (2nd show of each week)--but I do look forward to my Tuesday nights!

eaglesvet
05-03-2009, 02:48 AM
I've been wondering throughout this season, when they send one of the bottom three back to the couch, do you think the one they send back is always the one with the most votes of the three? Or do they just mix it up for the drama? I tend to think it's all about the drama. Ryan has never disclosed what the vote count order was for the bottom three, only that the one going home got the least amount of votes.
I think it's completely mixed up for the dramatic effect.

eaglesvet
05-03-2009, 02:54 AM

Kris - How about a John Mellencamp song?

Allison - Anything girl rocker would work for her. Joplin, Heart, Sass Jordan, Joss Stone, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett -take your pick.

Adam -I think a Kiss song would be appropriate. It's theatrical and if would finally make sense for him to sing with his tongue sticking out. :nahnah:

Danny - Stevie Ray Vaughn might work. But, I'd love to see him do Sass Jordan's "I Will Make You a Believer". Seems kind of appropriate.
These are all right on the money. Adam could also do Queen. Kris and Danny could do some Springsteen songs justice, although I don't know if his catalog is open for AI... I almost think it's not, though don't quote me on that. I know that Hungry Heart was done by Taylor Hicks one season, but I think there was some sort of special arrangement.

eaglesvet
05-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Ooh, hope that works out for you!

Just read that instead of getting to sing two songs each, the kids are gonna sing one song each, then duet with each other.
Wow, that's a first! I had forgotten about the two songs wach, but ya gotta fill an hour! Now the duet...how do they choose that?? Who sings with who; song choice could be a bear, never mind the arranging; the judges will have their work cut out for them; and voting will be interesting!

I'm sorry to the Adam fans, even though he is talented, and I know that he will continue to soar in his career no matter when he leaves Idol---he is my least favorite one left. I can't decide between the other 3. I actually think I will be deciding on a week by week basis...so for me it will be all about song choice and individual performances...you gotta be in it to win it!

Prettymaid
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I just read that David Cook's older brother, Adam, lost his 11 year battle with brain cancer this morning. Having watched AI last year and seen David's love for his brother, this is very sad news. May David and his family find comfort during this difficult time.

EagleLady
05-03-2009, 07:03 PM
How Sad! My prayers are with David and his entire family.

eaglesvet
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I can only imagine how this is affecting David. He entered AI basically to be with his brother on his audition, didn't he? He must be devastated, although he knows he fulfilled his brother's dreams by fulfilling his own.

Maleah
05-03-2009, 11:24 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family! SO sad and just devastating. :( I watched the video of him after the 5k run that he participated in today for a cure for cancer and I bawled when he told them he had just lost his brother this morning. You could hear the crowd gasp and he started crying. Oh how I pray for there to be an end to cancer. What a horrible disease. :(

sodascouts
05-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow, so tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with the Cook family, too.

EV, David actually had two brothers. Adam was not the brother who David accompanied to the AI audition. Still, I'm sure you're right - Adam was undoubtedly very proud.

sodascouts
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
For the Matt fans: here he is on Ellen Degeneres, sounding great!

http://mjsbigblog.com/matt-giraud-the-ellen-degeneres-show-video.htm#more-7265

sodascouts
05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Here's some info about this week's mentoring, which took place in the Roxy.

American Idol at the Roxy! (http://theroxyonsunset.com/our-favorite-idol/)

TimothyBFan
05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
You told me I had to critique something other than Slash. So far pretty cool but Kris (Chris?) just screwed up the words for Come Together. Benefit of the doubt (since I haven't seen this before) it's HARD to cover a Beatles/Lennon song!

SLASH--BTW is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: Awesome!!!! To d*mn cool for words!!!!!!!!

sodascouts
05-05-2009, 09:01 PM
OK, my thoughts!

Adam - his voice was perfect for that song. I kept getting distracted by the eyeliner - dang, boy! - but he did a great job. I thought it was unfair of Simon to declare that "no one will be able to top you tonight." Geez, favoritism much?

Allison - again, great song choice! She was dead-on. He new hair looks great, too! I don't know why the judges were so negative. I think they're throwing her under the bus. Somebody has to go and they don't want it to be one of their favorites (read: Adam). Usually it annoys me when they talk back but tonight I was like "Tell him, Allison!"

I actually didn't recognize the song Danny and Kris did as a duet, but they sounded terrific together for the most part (I don't think anyone should do vocal runs during duets). It finally convinced me I liked Danny's voice more than Kris's, though, after hearing them right together like that. Danny in that 70s era chain, open shirt look was pretty unexpected. If his shirt had fit him better he'd have looked downright sexy.

Kris picked the Beatles? I'm disappointed. Beatles songs are not exactly vocally challenging. It didn't showcase him at all, I thought. It's not that he did bad, it was just nothing special. I agreed with Simon this time.

Danny - Not his best performance. In fact, I think it was his worst. Started off weak and got better at the chorus, but the falsetto at the end - yikes! You're not Adam, dude! We don't want you to try to be!

The Allison and Adam duet was entertaining. It didn't sound so much like a duet as them echoing each other though. Adam toned it down so he didn't run all over Allison, which I appreciated! It was lame of Simon to say that Adam "saved Allison." If she advances, it's because of her singing, not because the Adam fans decided to throw in for her, too. All the hardcore Adam fans are too scared by last week to split their vote no matter what, so his comment wasn't true, and it takes credit away from Allison where it belongs. Boy, could they be more obvious in their pimping of Adam?

Who's going home: Kris.

TimothyBFan
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Slow Ride---Now that was really COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently the judges think so too!! My money is on Adam--again, not that I know anything since it's my first time this season.

I now have to go back thru this thread and see if I'm on it with you guys or not since I have come in so late here.

Prettymaid
05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
1. Adam
2. Allison
3. Danny (although that last note almost put him at number four for me!)
4. Kris

Kris, it was a good ride while it lasted, but it's over.

eaglesvet
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I have to agree that Adam did the best job, although I wish that Simon had not pronounced it just the way he did. I hope all you Led Zep fans took note! I agree about the eyeliner...not his color!

Allison looked great...she really "dresses up" nicely, and the hair was just perfect for a rocker. I also thought she did a wonderful job with the Janis Joplin song, after weeks of hearing/reading that she should do Joplin.

I didn't notice that Kris screwed up the words to the Beatles tune. Usually the judges are all over that, and make sure the contestant never lives it down. I didn't think his version was as bad as it was made out to be, but he has definitely had far better performances.

I thought Danny had some promise in the beginning of his song, but then I really noticed the "off" parts. But, he really did take the risks, in an attempt to try something different--so hats off for that.

The Styx song that Kris and Danny did was a hit in the 70's, and I thought Danny did very well on it. It was perfect for his vocal range. Kris, on the other hand, seemed to be singing a little too low for his comfort level. However, the judges were correct in that the combination of their harmonies really worked well on that song...I thought it sounded great.

The same goes for Adam and Allison's duet. Their voices had similar tones and ranges in their song, and it also worked well. Adam really seemed at home doing that song, and I guess the judges thought it helped "carry" Allison...I thought she did fine on her own.

Tomorrow, I heard the guest performances are Chris Daughtry and No Doubt. Was it Allison who said her favorite group was No Doubt?

TBF, you and most of the voters (except for last week) have bet on Adam to win most of the time. He is a very original artist and gets props for that; it's just for some he is a bit over the top (to put it mildly.) It worked tonight...he was right on! Did you vote? Are you hooked enough to watch it to the finals in 2 weeks?

TimothyBFan
05-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that Kris messed up the line "One thing I can tell you is you got to be free", I believe he said something other than free, but I could be wrong.

EV--I don't know if I will get a chance to watch it the next couple weeks but I can guarantee you I will be watching what happens to Adam. I was very impressed.

Prettymaid
05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
It finally convinced me I liked Danny's voice more than Kris's, though, after hearing them right together like that.

That's what that duet did for me too. Hearing them together like that made me realize that I really do like Danny's voice better than Kris'.

sodascouts
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Anybody planning on attending the American Idol tour (http://www.ticketmaster.com/American-Idols-Live-tickets/artist/838399?&brand=tm&camefrom=CFC_BUYAT_streetteam)? I'm afraid my concert budget has already been accounted for, so I won't be! lol

Brooke
05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I thought they all did well, and that Adam's version of Led Zep was awesome! He's not my cup of tea, but his voice is outstanding.

I really didn't see enough of Slash to care whether he was the mentor or not. I think he was a bit of an odd choice. I think the mentor should be a singer rather than guitar player.

I don't really get the duets bit, but I thought Adam and Allison's was fantastic. I agree with Simon, that it saved Allison for another week, although I think she will go next week if not tonight.

I liked Allison's Janis Joplin, but agreed that that song just didn't have much going for it.

Danny.....ok. He's definitely NOT Steven Tyler though. He tried!

Much as I love him, I think Kris will go down tonight. He just didn't show the 'it' factor this time.

And why, why, why does Randy and Kara HAVE to go first every show? I get really tired of their long winded critiques. They mixed it up a time or two, but are back to them being first every night.

Prettymaid
05-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I thought they all did well, and that Adam's version of Led Zep was awesome! He's not my cup of tea, but his voice is outstanding.

That's exactly my issue too Brooke. He's got an amazing voice, but he's not my thing.

And why, why, why does Randy and Kara HAVE to go first every show? I get really tired of their long winded critiques. They mixed it up a time or two, but are back to them being first every night.

Well remember, a few weeks ago they went way over time-wise. Ever since then they've been sticking to this format!

Soda, I don't think at this point I have any interest in seeing the AI tour.

Prettymaid
05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
WOW!!! We all got it wrong! I am in serious shock right now. When Ryan announced that Kris was safe I pretty much knew it was either Allison or Danny going home. What a gracious exit - she's a great kid!

eaglesvet
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Allison is talented beyond her years, and she can still succeed at a music career with her voice and outlook. Graham and I will miss her, though. (He declared he will never watch AI again...I guess he took her ouster pretty hard...until next week, at least, lol.)

**How about Daughtry's new song...love it!**

My kids got to see what made Paula famous in the first place, huh? I was actually surprised to see she still had it in her, although I didn't care for the way her voice was altered/amplified/whatever you wanna call it. Sounded fake. Her dance moves were still right on, though.

Coulda done without seeing No Doubt. Strange to look at, that's for sure. I know I have liked some of their past songs, although this particular one was not familiar to me.

Maleah
05-07-2009, 12:10 AM
First of all, was really sad to see Allison go. She is absolutely unbelievable and was my second favorite after Danny. She is just amazing, especially for her age. Wow. I thought she did great this week.

Adam did really good as usual, but like it was stated by a couple of you above.....just not my cup of tea. Not a fan.

Probably Danny's worst performance so I was really afraid he would go home. But if you download the full studio version from itunes, it's really good!

Kris wasn't AS great this week either but I still really like him. I really thought he would be going home this week though.

We were definently planning on going to the tour in Minneapolis this year, since it was so awesome last year, but we're a little broke for tickets going on sale already this Sat! lol Might still go....we'll see.

Maleah
05-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Ooooh forgot.....Daughtry's song was great! Paula did better than I expected. No Doubt was horrible, imo. NOT a fan!

And I loved the duets! Both pairings sounded good together I thought

Brooke
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Wow, what a shocker last night was! I think Kris even looked shocked that he was safe! Then I knew Allison was going. She should do well. She really does have a great voice.

I kept wondering if Paula was lip syncing. I know she had the head mic on, but they never really showed her face clearly much. I thought her dancing was great, but did not like the song with the amp/whatever done to her voice. Reminded me of Britney. I thought it also sounded very dated. Is she black or hispanic? I noticed in some of the old clips that she looked a lot darker back then. Maybe it was just the lighting.

I really liked the Daughtry song, too, and did NOT like the No Doubt one.

Prettymaid
05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, it's sad to say but I really don't care who wins from this group. The only thrill is picking the one I think will win. Hmmm, can I wait one more week to do that? Let's see who leaves this coming week and then I will predict a winner.

Okay, as promised I'm going to use my psychic powers and predict the winner. Seems as if my powers left me this week when I said Kris would go, but I've dimmed the lights, lit the candles and dusted off the crystal ball. Let's see.........

Adam by far has the best vocal talent in this competition, IMO. I'll go as far as to say nobody in this competition can touch him. Even though he's not my thing, he deserves to win.

But he's not going to win. There is someone else who has quietly moved through this season and has been the only one not to be in the bottom three. His primal scream Tuesday night at the end of Dream On should have hurt his votes, but it didn't. His talent and his likeability is going to make Danny Gokey this year's American Idol.

sodascouts
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Very surprised to see Kris safe! I was a little bummed - it would have have been nice for little Allison to make the top 3 and get a parade - but we knew she wasn't gonna win.

Paula was definitely lip-syncing. She has been open in the past about lip-syncing so that she can concentrate on her dance moves (remember that when she choreographed the contestants, they did the same). Add me to those who dislike the "effect" added to her vocal. It's all the rage nowadays.... and in another year or two, everyone will make fun of it for being dated. She's still got the moves, though!

I left the room to do something else while No Doubt was performing, so I missed most of the song. I like the group, though. Love "Don't Speak." Dang, Stefani is in good shape!!! She just had a baby???

Loved Daughtry. Maybe it was a time thing, but Simon and the gang didn't seem as warm and fuzzy towards him as they did towards David Cook. It probably didn't help that he said that he "got over it in about thirty seconds" when talking of his elimination. What Simon wants to hear is "It was a soul-crushing moment. I'm scarred for life. No amount of success can ever make up for not achieving the title of AMERICAN IDOL." ;)

Brooke
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I think it will be a very tight race between Danny and Adam.

And it's just sooooooo obvious that the judges pick is Adam. They've pretty much told America that Adam is the AI. Now, will America take the hint? I don't know! But my pick is Danny.

Stars
05-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Brooke, my pick is also Danny. I have loved him from the start-right from the time I heard his audition! This has never happened before-that I liked someone right from the beginning all the way up to nearly the end of the competition. I really pray that Danny will win!:pray:
GO GOKEY!:thumbsup:

Molly
05-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Danny's day in Milwaukee tomorrow...

7am -arrives at the Fox affiliate television studio (I've heard he has a brother who works there) guesting on the morning news programs.

11:15 Danny visits an AT&T store in Brown Deer (Milwaukee suberb). ????? Huh??? Don't understand that one. Why not the store at Bayshore Mall where he buys all of his glasses?? :eyebrow:

3-4:30 Short stops at downtown Milwaukee landmarks including the bronze Fonzie. (Oh, good grief!!) I mean "Aaaaaay":thumbsup:, the Harley Davidson Museum (cool place!), the Milwaukee Art Museum (some nice photo ops) and the Discovery World Museum (for the kiddies??)

4:30 Short car parade thru downtown Milwaukee (right past Peter's office building -they're allowed to leave early if they want to watch it -but Peter will be at school taking a final exam). A bunch of Green Bay Packers will be joining him on the route!!!

5:15-6:00 pm - Mini concert at the Harley Davidson Roadhouse stage on the Summerfest grounds!!

6 pm - Motorcade leaves for Miller Park (baseball stadium)

6:40 pm -Danny throws out the first pitch and sings the National Anthem at the Brewers-Cubs game (Peter has tickets...I hate that kid)

I may need to take a (cough..cough..cough) sick day tomorrow from work.
(sneeze...cough):yuck:

sodascouts
05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun! You should go, Molly. Maybe you'll get on the air when the AI cameras scan the crowd!

Molly
05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Some Danny moments from his hometown visit to Milwaukee:

He did the Wake Up News weather on the Fox affiliate. Today's morning temp. in Milwaukee was 56 degrees...L.A.'s morning temp. was 57! Danny said "LA weather is over-rated...I've been freezing!"

He said after performing "Pretty Young Thing" on the show -he got backstage to find a text message from his Dad "Why in the world did you sing that song!"

Copp's Custard (which Danny apparently loves) has a new flavor "Danny's Delight" which Danny really seemed to enjoy. The Cousin's Subway where Danny had once worked has a new sub called the "Go Go Gokey" turkey sub.

While he was at the AT&T store he got a text message from Paula Abdul...his judge's choice song for next week is Terrance Trent D'Arby's "Dance Little Sister". (?) Danny said he didn't know the song at all.

Everyone in Milwaukee was doing Danny's "heart hands" which is a symbol for his late wife, Sophia and the charity Danny set up in her name..."Sophia's Heart Foundation". Sophia died from a congenital heart condition.

Danny was joined on stage by members of the Milwaukee Bucks and the Green Bay Packers and singer Rick Springfield who was performing in Milwaukee tonight. Apparently Rick's wife is from Beloit, Wisconsin which is one of the places Danny church has had him minister.

Milwaukee's mayor was wearing Gokey glasses.

Danny's voice sounded rough during the concert. He told the crowd "Bear with me...my throat is so sore. I think you all heard that scream that went around the world! I'm flat, I'm sharp, but aaaah, who cares?"

He sang: PYT, September, What Hurts the Most, (a medley) Signed, Sealed Delivered-I'm Yours, That's the Way (I Like It), Get Down Tonight, Heard it Thru the Grapevine, and Billy Jean.

He sounded awesome doing the National Anthem before the Brewers/Cubs game. (Go Brewers!!)

He said he only got about 2 hours of sleep the night before and by the time the Brewer's game started -he looked absolutely exhausted.

Maleah
05-08-2009, 10:14 PM
aww poor Danny...I'm sure he was absolutely EXHAUSTED! But loving every minute of it! :) He's definently got my vote to try and help him win!!

eaglesvet
05-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks, Molly, for the info. Were you 'ill' the whole day from work? I hope so! "Primal scream'...I love that line. I also have loved watching Danny's glasses each week, except for one week (one of the last 2, I can't remember) when he wore fairly boring wire-framed aviators. I've been amazed that a man could care that much to have such attractive glasses, and different ones each week...must go with the desire to be an Idol, I guess! I notice now when I see some clients with new funky glasses, that he is a trend-setter already!

I agree he deserves to win, although Adam does as well. It will probably be a close contest, I think. I also have liked Kris most of his weeks, it's just he is not as consistently talented as the other 2. He is awfully cute, though, and I think he will still make it in the music business. You never know... he may have an awesome 2 weeks on the show, and pull off an upset!

Fan_For_Life
05-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't watch American Idol consistantly. I like to see the end product rather than seeing the making of one. However my daughter is a huge fan(of Adam) and since Mr. Slash himself was appearing she convinced me to take a look.

I stood there in amazement, I could hardly believe my ears when I heard Adam singing Whole Lotta Love from Zepplin. Halfway through the song I looked at Sam and said if he can pull the rest of this off then he deserves to win. And low and behold he did.

So even though I probably still won't find much interest in it, I am rooting for Adam.

Prettymaid
05-09-2009, 09:44 AM
FFL, I totally understand how you feel about Adam. I feel the same way. Not a week goes by that, during his performance, my jaw doesn't drop open or I don't say out loud "OMG!" To me, his talent puts the others in his shadow.

However, by having America vote with no criteria other than that of their own choosing, I still predict that Danny will win.

Fan_For_Life
05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
He also reminds me of Elvis,,another favorite of the family. And too I'm probably one of the only people to actually like Simon Cowell.

sodascouts
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info, Molly!

Here's some photos of Danny in Milwaukee:

http://www.fox6now.com/shows/fox/americanidol/dannygokey/witi-090508-gokey-concert-pix2,0,5507511.photogallery

Maleah
05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
The thing is, everyone has their own view of "talent." I agree Adam is SUPER talented.....but I think Danny is EQUALLY talented.....therefore since I think A. they can both sing, B. they'll both make it in the music business, I then go for other reasons. Danny just has my favorite voice and I like his personality. Adam doesn't come across as quite so humble which could hurt him in the long run. I read that on cnn too where they said Kris' humbleness will help him and Adam's lack of could hurt him. We shall see! It shocks me how many of you are predicting a Danny win. I HOPE he wins and I will be voting for him, but I definently see Adam winning.

Stars
05-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Soda,thanks for the link to the pics of Danny in Milwaukee-it certainly looked like he was having a great time!:partytime:

Maleah
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Quick blurb on David Cook :(

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=408106&GT1=28102

David Cook Makes Emotional Return to Stage
May 9, 2009, 2:43 PM EST
Entertainment Tonight
"American Idol (http://music.msn.com/tv/series/american-idol/)" winner David Cook (http://music.msn.com/music/artist/david-cook.6/) took the concert stage Friday night in Ohio, and he alluded several times to his sadness over the loss of his older brother Adam, who passed away from cancer on May 2.
David, brandishing a guitar with his brother's initials on it, sang a little bit of the Eagles (http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16073676)' "Hotel California" and told the crowd, "Adam would be proud," says People.com.
Also during the concert, he stopped playing a song and told the audience, "It's gonna be tough for me," adding, "Hold on. I'm sorry. Do you mind if I sing a different song?"
The Web site says that although the 26-year-old star appeared to grapple with his emotions, he at times seemed upbeat, referring to himself as "Old Dave."

sodascouts
05-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Poor David. My heart goes out to him. Thanks for posting that, Maleah.

I saw the video on YouTube of him doing a snippet of Hotel California (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z33bu8ZzIc). He sounds INCREDIBLE. He should do the whole song! Then he'd have both Fleetwood Mac ("Little Lies") and the Eagles in his set list, and I might have to spring for a ticket. ;)

But I read that someone who was there said that his comment was "Don Henley would be proud" not that "Adam would be proud" (which frankly makes more sense, unless Adam was an extremely hardcore Eagles fan and would be proud of his bro for playing a smidge of an Eagles song in concert).

Regardless, David was really a pro for struggling through this show only a couple days after his brother's death. I don't know how he got through "Come Back to Me" - with lines like "I'll let you go, I'll set you free" - no wonder he had to leave the stage immediately after it and spend several minutes composing himself before coming back on to finish the show, according to the People article.

I wonder what song he had to stop singing?

Maleah
05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
He only sings a couple of lines on it....about 6:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXY2DwsRy64

Maleah
05-10-2009, 11:59 PM
If I had to guess at what song he stopped singing, I would guess "Permanent" and understandably so! But I have no clue which one it actually was.

Yeah I just read that about him actually saying "Don Henley would be proud" on this youtube link. They said he said it in a self deprecating manner....which sounds like something he would do. lol I wish he'd sing the whole thing! He sounded awesome!

I was going to go hear him in Minnesota this summer, but go figure the one date close enough is the day before my nephew's wedding. :(

*edit to add the youtube link I saw it on lol*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj9IZN7czTU

Maleah
05-11-2009, 12:04 AM
He sings more of it on that one and it's actually cute when he says "Don Henley would be proud" because you can tell he's making fun of himself there. lol

However, he could very well have said "Adam would be proud" at one of the concerts, because this is a completely different one.

sodascouts
05-12-2009, 08:57 PM
So the Indy Fox affiliate has not been broadcasting sound for the entire show! I'm going to have to wait for it to come online and watch it then. LAME FOX 59! You'd think they'd be able to fix the problem in an hour!

Prettymaid
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh no Soda! I'll bet they got lots of furious phone calls.

Let me allow this evening's performances to sink in. I'll probably still go with my gut, but I'll wait until tomorrow to post my thoughts.

Maleah
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Just a quick note on Idol -

Danny - Didn't think his first performance was bad but the judges didn't seem to like it. Second performance....WOW! Stunning is what it was!

Kris - Wasn't so much a fan of his first, but again....second was awesome! Like Randy, I liked it more than the original!

Adam - did very good on both songs.....but again....just can't take the over the top screeching. But could the judges POSSIBLY promote him to win any more? Seriously guys....I really don't think you're making it obvious enough.....can you tell us more how much you love him and how much we should vote for him?

sodascouts
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
OK, thank you rickey.org (http://www.rickey.org), fastest on the planet!

Danny: "Dance Little Sister" - I've never heard this song and at first I thought "huh?" but his voice was very well suited for it and he sounded great. Not sure why he brought in a sax solo portion of the show - to show off his scat? Perhaps not the best idea. Otherwise, thought it was great.

Kris: "Apologize" - another song I've never heard before. He was fine except when he tried to go high - then it was a bit off. Not the kind of performance that's gonna get him to the finals, I think.

Adam: "One" - this is one of my favorite songs ever. I was both excited and anxious, hoping he didn't pull a "Ring of Fire" and try to contrive a lot of vocal gymnastics into a song that is supposed to be about powerful, emotionally delivered lyrics, not distracting histrionics. He started out well, and just as I was beginning to enjoy it, he goes off and makes it about how high he can sing and how long he can hold a note. Result: Me cringing and wishing he'd gotten a song I'd never heard before as well! But kudos for losing the uber-dark guyliner!

Danny: "You Are So Beautiful" - I get what he was going for; he wanted to hit that emotional aspect hard.... and he did. He wasn't bad. But the song didn't showcase his voice and I think a lot of the younger kids who watch this show and don't remember the original might even be bored with it. And what was up with the cheesy backup singers? Bad move doing this song, Danny. Here's hoping he's safe anyway.

Kris: "Heartless" - Really Kris? "Heartless"? You chose Heartless?? Again, I get what he was going for. He wanted to be David Cook and rearrange a song in a way that will blow the judge's minds. Still, it was a bad idea. Even though the melodic parts of the song worked slowed down, when he got to the rap portion... yikes. He had to mumble the lyrics quickly and it really killed the song. Apparently the judges disagreed with me, though! They were too enchanted by him "making it his own" I guess. I still think this one's going home.

Adam: "Cryin'" - This is the kind of song Adam's voice was made for, and he nailed it. Great job and you can't blame him for picking something so safe when it's this close to the end.

I imagine Kris will be going home, unless it's time for a shock boot...

eaglesvet
05-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh wow, what a tough choice...only Graham told me who to vote for for him, so I had 3 votes to place of my own accord! I think all 3 of the guys are so talented, that any and all of them can have a successful career in the music business.

On tonight's show:
I hadn't heard of the song Paula chose for Danny, so I wasn't blown away by the performance. His own song choice, however, was a tremendous version of You Are So Beautiful, and I really like what he did with it to showcase his vocals. Nicely done!

I thought Kris did a pretty good job with Apologize...he did change it up a bit from One Republic's version, contrary to what the judges implied. That style and tone suits his vocal range well. I also really loved his version of Heartless! So, overall, he's still within striking distance...

Adam, of course, nailed his songs. I loved how he started One, in a slow controlled manner. I actually wished he would've kept it at the more subdued version, but Adam is Adam. Still, once he sticks his tongue out, it turns me off a bit, even if the scream is completely in pitch and on key. He really worked it out on his two songs.

As I said, it's anybody's ballgame!

Maleah
05-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Soda, "Apologize" is the one they really wanted Matt to sing. He would have done a fantastic job with it I think!

My two favorite performances were both Danny and Kris' last songs....loved them both for different reasons. I loved the emotion in Danny's song and his falsetto and raspy voice then building into power notes. I loved how Kris made the song his own! But then, I'm a big fan of acoustic covers and I thought this really worked...which suprised me!

Prettymaid
05-13-2009, 08:05 AM
But could the judges POSSIBLY promote him to win any more? Seriously guys....I really don't think you're making it obvious enough.....can you tell us more how much you love him and how much we should vote for him?

:hilarious: I was thinking about you guys everytime the judges did this! They do it every year with somebody, so it doesn't surprise me.

Everytime I went on my computer's homepage this week a little picture of Adam was down there, just tempting me to click on it and see why he's in the "news". I didn't bite, but I did see a teaser - something about him not revealing his sextual orientation. I guess people want him to announce that he's gay? Whatever. :roll: Like that's important. What concerns me is, not once did I see Kris or Danny's picture. It's like the media has already picked a winner. It's getting to the point that I'm hoping Adam loses just out of spite!

I probably wouldn't buy any of these guy's albums. My crystal ball is pretty hazy today, but I predict Adam and Danny will be in the final.

Brooke
05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree with you Maleah, about the judges pick. Good grief! Why don't they just call it already! But, you know, I have this feeling that Kris could be a dark horse here and quietly make it through. I don't know. I just loved his 2nd song. Thought he really shined on it, even though I didn't know the song. He made me want to hear that song again.

I thought Danny did best on his 2nd song, too. Love Joe Cocker's version, but I thought Danny really did it well. Really love his raspy voice.

As for Adam, Aerosmith was a great choice, but he's no Steven Tyler. That's one of my favorite Aerosmith songs. He lost me when he started sticking the tongue out, too. Yes, he's fantastic, but I don't know. I'm thinking maybe the judges made it too obvious. That could hurt him.

I want Kris to win and after tonight, I feel it's possible. I could be way off, but I hope Adam goes.

Maleah
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I actually think its VERY possible for Kris to make it through although I definently think Adam will win it, unfortunately. Kris has a very strong fan base that I think people underestimate. I think it could very easily end up Adam/Kris in the final.

sodascouts
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Kris may have a strong fan base but they don't seem to be as passionate and vocal as the Adam and Danny fans, which doesn't bode well for their desire to vote a lot for him. However, I suppose a quiet person can dial just as well as a vocal one! Who knows!

The judges' hardcore pushing of Adam may backfire. People don't like to get told who to vote for, and the judges have been downright obnoxious about pushing Adam - especially Simon. As if comparing everyone else to him unfavorably starting last week and actually telling America to vote for him wasn't bad enough, Simon has recently done a round of interviews that seem to be as much about promoting Adam as they are about promoting the show. He's said at every talk show appearance that Adam should win. And while early on a contestant was disqualified because of an indirect relationship with some backstage people, the fact that Adam's voice appeared on "Randy Jackson Presents America's Dance Crew" (http://mjsbigblog.com/adam-lambert-we-are-the-champions-mixes-for-americas-best-dance-crew.htm) is completely ignored. Such favoritism and perceived unfairness could work against Adam.

Additionally, I think most of Adam's fans have been with him from the beginning, whereas Kris and Danny are adding to their fan bases from those whose favorites have been voted off. Someone whose favorite was Matt or Allison won't readily shift to Adam, I don't think. He's a very different style.

Therefore, I think it's very possible that Adam won't win. I think Danny will take it.

However, I've been wrong many times, so we'll see!

Stars
05-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Soda, I certainly hope you are right with your prediction that Danny will win. He's the one I have been with right from the start, and I haven't left yet, and don't plan to!:)

Maleah
05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Nancy haven't you heard......it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for ;)

DonFan
05-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, Idol was a surprise tonight. I liked all three guys who were left tonight but I really thought the final would be between Adam & Danny, instead of Adam & Kris.

I love the hometown segments and Kris's part with his Mom & Dad was SO sweet. They didn’t even show Adam’s family, which is weird. I thought it was hilarious when the morning news anchor asked Adam to fix her eyeliner! And did Katy Perry really have Adam's name on the back of her cape when she sang her "Vegas" number?

Next week's finale is going to be veeeeeery interesting!

Maleah
05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I had a feelin this would be the way it would go but still I'm sooooooooooooo disappointed!! I was bawling right along with Paula and Kara....I'll admit it. lol So not right! However, Kris has my votes without a doubt now! I vow to vote 100 times for him next week! :thumbsup:

I always enjoy the hometown week too. I'm honestly not trying to tear into Adam every time, but his hometown visit just seemed very impersonal compared to Kris and Danny's. Not sure why. No family, not really any friends, seemed like a smaller crowd, and he didn't get a REAL parade. Danny made me tear up when he started crying during his parade, as did the moment between Kris and his Dad.

Oh well, on to bigger and better things for Danny!

Oh and I was NOT impressed with Katy Perry and her blatant promotion of Adam. Even if she had worn Kris or Danny's name on her back, you're not there to hint at people who is your favorite and who they should vote for. You're there to sing your stupid song and get promotion out of it. Doubt they'd have let her do that if it had been any other contestant in any other season.

Maleah
05-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Oh and btw, what song did they have playing in the background at the beginning of Kris' hometown visit? It sounded SOOOO familiar and I KNOW I love it.....I just can't remember the name or the artist! LOL

eaglesvet
05-14-2009, 12:52 AM
I had a feeling Kris could do it!! He has had some really inspiring performances all season long, and I thought both his performances last night were fine...with Heartless being ultra-fine! I have to admit tonight that I had actually never heard the original until earlier today, when they played Kanye's version on the radio. No comparison for me...Randy was right on when he said that Kris's version was better than the original--it definitely was for me too!

I enjoyed watching Danny's return to Milwaukee the best for some reason. It seems like he had the most fanatic fans show up, and he really seemed to shine in the public eye. I will miss him on the show, but he can definitely pick it all up from here and go on with his career if he sets his mind to it.

I still like Adam's personality a lot, and know that he is talented...as others have said here, he is just not my cup of tea. Another blatant example of the network plugging him was indeed the Katy Perry cape with his name embroidered on the back. Totally not fair that the other 2 were not represented on some other wardrobe pieces during her song!! They should protest in some way. One contestant shouldn't benefit from having such advertising, while the others are totally overlooked! That being said, that was the first Katy Perry song that I have actually liked. It had a very catchy tune and clever words, and she is a very attractive singer. Beautiful eyes!

Based upon Kris's upset into the semis, and the fact that the tour opened up a second date at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ (a venue with literally the best acoustics on the entire planet), I just bought 2 tix to see AI this August. I'm taking Graham as a graduation gift...he loves watching the show, and takes each contestant's save or boot to heart. (He's graduating from elementary into middle school, ie, 4th into 5th grade!) He will absolutely love the show...our seats are in the first section just to the left of the stage, only about 19 rows up--better than floor for someone so short!

Prettymaid
05-14-2009, 07:32 AM
I threw my crystal ball in the trash - it must be broken!

Unfortunately I do not have a vested interest in who wins, even emotionally, so the final is not going to be very fun to watch. Danny is a class act. It's always interesting to compare the reaction of people who get eliminated very early on to these final few. When you are able to leave with such grace it says a lot about who you are. I'm sure Danny Gokey will be making music in the future! As some people say, it's a backwards blessing to not be voted the American Idol - you can truly pursue your own music career without limitations.

Stars
05-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Sad about Danny, but I know he'll go far-I'll be getting his first album, that's for sure! :)

Brooke
05-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, even though I thought Kris might be a dark horse, I am pretty shocked that Danny went. I actually thought it might be Adam. I just think the judges have gone too far to promote him and that it would backfire for him. He is so talented, but good grief!

I hope all Danny's fans rally and vote for Kris. I even tried to vote for the first time, but could never get through.

We had storms going through our area during the show and it was very aggravating trying to watch with the satellite losing its signal every 5 seconds! I figured it would finally go off completely and I'd miss the end, but it didn't. Not to mention my husband and son calling me to see if everything was ok there!

Katy is a beautiful girl, gorgeous eyes, but she falls in the Adam category of 'not my cup of tea' either!

My vote goes for Kris. He's just so cute and humble. Not to mention an excellent singer and musician! GOOD LUCK KRIS! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Aw man! I am so disappointed to see Danny go! Here's hoping he's the next Daughtry and able to be as successful, or even outshine, the two finalist once the show is over. Makes me feel guilty that I didn't bother to vote though! lol

Hoping Kris wins!

Molly
05-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Danny doesn't seem at all disappointed from the interviews I've read.

First thing he wants to do is get back to being hands on with the foundation he set up in Sophia's name. www.sophiasheart.org (http://www.sophiasheart.org).

He's even kicking around the idea of a line of fashion eyewear!

www.jsonline.com/gokey (http://www.jsonline.com/gokey) if you want to read more from the hometown paper.

eaglesvet
05-16-2009, 06:42 AM
I read that Keith Urban :heart:, Carlos Santana, Black Eyed Peas, and others are performing on Wednesday's finale. On Tuesday, Carrie Underwood will be. David Cook will also be singing, although the article wasn't clear which night.

It's amazing how biased all the AI-related media (such as what we have just mentioned) is toward Adam...I have also read that Jamie Foxx is picking Adam as the winner, even though he told Kris he could record a duet with him anytime! I think that Adam could get some serious backlash with all of this, considering only 1 million votes separated them before Simon put in that shameless plea that the voters needed to be sure to vote for him, and before Katy wore his name in satin on her back, etc, etc. He does not have a comfortable margin, that's for sure. I read a non-biased article how the choice between the two is choosing between Adam, who is ready to be a star, and Kris, who is ready to be an artist. The public already knows what type of album Kris would put out (Jason Mraz-ish), but in actuality Adam's is a bit more of a mystery...although he would have star-quality.

eaglesvet
05-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Danny doesn't seem at all disappointed from the interviews I've read.

First thing he wants to do is get back to being hands on with the foundation he set up in Sophia's name. www.sophiasheart.org (http://www.sophiasheart.org).

He's even kicking around the idea of a line of fashion eyewear!

www.jsonline.com/gokey (http://www.jsonline.com/gokey) if you want to read more from the hometown paper.
I read the part about the glasses too...apparently he has served as inspiration to the teens and young adults who must wear glasses...now it is "in!" He started the show with 15 pair, but ended up with 50 ! (I'm sure donated by the companies for the tremendous free exposure to millions of people weekly!)

DonFan
05-19-2009, 08:13 AM
From the Naples News:

The American Idol finals. Who will win? It doesn’t really matter.
Both of these guys — Adam and Kris — are going to have nice careers.
The winner might get bragging rights and a bigger dressing room when the finalists tour this summer. That’s about it.

If talent is the sole measure, Adam wins by default. We knew that over a month ago. But he may be so good that fans who vote may be getting tired of him, and something in us roots for the underdog.

Kris is more likable. He’s cuter, and he’s not gay like Adam. Kris is a nice talent. Though his voice is not big and strong, he is good at making a song his own. He is an OK guitar player and we’ve seen he even plays a little piano. I don’t see him becoming a trail-blazer or an innovator.

I do see Adam being the kind of star who will constantly reinvent himself like Madonna. He has one of the best voices ever — right up there with Paul McCartney, Sting, David Clayton-Thomas, Don Henley, Elvis and Frank Sinatra.
He's dangerous.

Prettymaid
05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Last night on The O'Reilly Factor there was a segment about whether Christians will effect the outcome. They noted that Kris is a Christian and Adam is gay. I did not pay alot of attention to the segment - they did show a couple of pictures of Adam kissing a guy. Again, who cares!!!! It's a singing competition folks! Can we get past all of the other stuff and vote on that?

Deep breaths...in...out... I'm okay now. :hilarious:

sodascouts
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
You know, I hate the fact that people are trying to make it about this kind of thing. You know if Kris wins, there will be people who will say it's only because Adam is gay. How about people just find Kris more appealing? I mean, if Adam wins, would anyone say it's because he's gay?

Lame.

Brooke
05-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Hmmm. Yes, very lame.

So, have you all voted before and did you have trouble getting through? I tried to last week and couldn't.

Molly
05-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Just found out yesterday that David Cook will be playing our local county fair this Summer! 5 minutes from my house!

The men in my house rolled their eyes -so I guess it will be a girl's night out.

Prettymaid
05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Good deal Molly, I like David Cook!

And Brooke no, I have watched Idol every season since the beginning, and I have never voted! As mush as I enjoy watching the show I am just
never inclined to vote. As I posted in another thread, the only songs I've bought are one from Kelly Clarkson, one from Bucky Covington (A Different World - I love that song!) and one from David Cook - that's it!

eaglesvet
05-20-2009, 02:27 AM
I wasn't able to watch Tuesday's show in real-time, so I am watching on DVR. Had to post some ongoing comments...I haven't read the thread to see if anyone has posted on the show, for obvious reasons.

Simon has just made quite a "dig" at the song that Kara co-wrote for the finalists to sing, and in quite a snide tone. She should be p*$$*d--right after she told Adam how wonderful it was to hear a song she had toiled over brought to fruition on the stage! BTW, I think the tone and style of Kris's voice was better suited to that song, but it was a bit too high. Wonder why the vocal coaches/Ricky Minor and the band didn't help him work that out this past week? (ie, lower it?)

One more comment on the judges...what were Randy and Paula thinkin' when they looked in their closets this morning, wondering what to wear?? Oh, brother!

This is the first year that the contestants picked an earlier performance to duplicate...they usually choose their own song for the first performance, but it is a new one. I thought that Kris's Ain't No Sunshine seemed one verse too short, compared to the length of the other songs...but he sounded great nonetheless. So did Adam.

It was too ridiculous on the "Producer's Choice" song of What's Going On for Kris, that Randy criticized the song choice for Kris! He had nothing to do with it! And no, I don't think it was too "light" of a song. In fact, I though he had a very John Mayer-like thing going on there...I loved it!

I was surprised by the "Producer's Choice" for Adam...a style of song that I thought he wouldn't have necessarily excelled at. I was wrong--he did a great job!

My vote is for Kris, although Adam is worthy as well. I think it's a matter of whose fans make more of an effort to multiple-vote (something I never do.) Too bad they haven't found/enforced a way to prevent that.

Prettymaid
05-20-2009, 07:29 AM
As hubby said last night, if it's a vocal contest, Adam should win. I love the control he has - his voice is truly an instrument.

Kris did great on Ain't No Sunshine, but I didn't like that the producer picked a 'lighter' song for Kris than he did for Adam.

And I didn't like Kara's song much either.

Unfortunately, so many other things have been tossed out there from the media this week that not only do I have no idea who will win, I also have no idea if the winner will be voted for based on pure vocal talent.

MikeA
05-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Gotta say, I like Kris's "style" of singing better than Adam's, but considering all three songs by both "guys", Adam out-performed Kris.

And I liked "Sunshine" too...a LOT.

But given a choice between the two, as to which artist I would make the effort to go out and find and buy a CD...I would buy Kris. He's got more soul...more of the bluesy-ballad-folksy type sound that I like.

Polished Vocal Training...no doubt Adam has it. And IDOL is a singing competition.

So I guess it depends on what floats your boat. Adam should win though I would be more pleased if Kris got the recognition for his accomplishments by winning.

Now, if IDOL happened to be a contest to determine who would be more of a commercial success as a "rock star"....my money would be on Kris and probably even more so on Danny though of the two, I think Kris's vocals are more on the money than Danny's but Danny's voice fits better with the "rocker sound" than Kris's. If It was a contest to determine who would be better in a Broadway Musical, I'd bet on Adam.

Stars
05-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I wasn't fond of Kara's song either-didn't really care for it sung by either contestant.
I had planned to vote for Kris last night, but some stuff came up, and I never got around to it. I was a huge Danny fan, but after he was voted off, I decided that Kris was the one I wanted to win. This takes nothing away from Adam, as he is a very talented guy.
So may the best man win-or actually, whoever had the most fans voting for them!:)

Brooke
05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow. They are both so good, it's really hard to pick!

I thought they both did really well and I loved Kris' Ain't No Sunshine best of all.

I guess it's just a matter of style and I prefer Kris'. So, we'll see how many fans they both have. And if the judges managed to get everyone else persuaded. :rolleyes:

I actually got through and voted for Kris.

Prettymaid
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Well...if we are representative of the voters, then Kris should win!

sodascouts
05-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I think it's a matter of whose fans make more of an effort to multiple-vote (something I never do.) Too bad they haven't found/enforced a way to prevent that.

Ha! They encourage it - Seacrest will actually say sometimes "Vote as much as you want!" It inflates those vote numbers he announces every week. If they only allowed people one vote, I daresay those numbers would be reduced dramatically as would the bragging rights.

I voted once for Kris - not out of principal, but laziness. lol I had other stuff to do.

I think Kris has a very good chance of winning. Their performances last night were representative of what they'd done all along; I don't think anyone's mind was changed as to who they wanted to win. I was disappointed that they did a repeat song, though. As far as Kara's song... eh.

sodascouts
05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOT KRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EagleLady
05-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I was hoping Adam would take it, but Kris is good too, I guess

MikeA
05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, well, well! How 'bout THAT! Personally, I liked Kris' style better and am glad he won, but I'm wondering now if we made the right choice after hearing Adam sing backed by KISS and QUEEN! Yeah, I know, Kris was singing on the Queen tune too, but it was Adam that carried it.

Maybe Adam is more of a Rocker than I was giving him credit for. He'll make it but it's going to take a killer band to put behind him. And with his exposure on IDOL, I think he'll get one!

Kris will make it too....but do ya think maybe he should be singing Country Pop? I'm thinking he should have showcased more of that style during the competition! It FITS him! Like a GLOVE!

Joe Vitale summed it up at the end of his book when describing the trouble he was having getting a contract with a Label. He said it was all about marketing and no one wanted to even try with a group that played and sang "in tune" and were not interested in either Joe Vitale's music nor his son Joe Jr's! They are both publishing their own work and selling it on the Internet....just like Dilana with her Rusty Nail Label. She couldn't get a Label either!

That's horribly SAD.

But Here's To Ya Kris :cheers: may fame and fortune be with you for all your days!

DonFan
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
First, I have to say that this was the best AI finale EVER. They paired each contestant and star perfectly. The lineup of guest stars made the duets truly amazing. Loved Kris with Keith Urban, Alison with Cyndi Lauper, Danny with Lionel Ritchie. I couldn't believe Adam with Kiss--and then both of them with Queen!! Fantastic.

I had a feeling Kris would win because his singing style reached a more universal voting audience. He is very, very good and I was touched to see how humble and overwhelmed he was when they called his name, even saying he thought Adam would win too. He is truly talented and a class act all the way.

Adam still gets my vote for his unbelievable vocal talent. I am actually glad that he didn't win because once the AI summer tour is over, he is free to assemble his rock band and sing his particular style of music--that he does brilliantly--without the restraints placed on AI winners.

Prettymaid
05-21-2009, 08:12 AM
For me, it was sort of anticlimatic at the end when Ryan said Kris' name. Kris was in such shock that you could tell it wasn't sinking in yet. It wasn't until just at the end when his wife joined him that you began to see the emotions coming out of him.

I loved the Keith and Kris performance. I need to face and admit my dilemma - I love watching Keith Urban perform, I just don't necessarily like his songs! He's a great performer.

I agree with DF. It was fun watching to see who was going to come out next! Queen Latifa, Cindy Lauper, Lionel Ritchie, Kiss, Queen - it was great!

What did everybody think of the Bikini Girl / Kara segment? Man, Kara can sing!

Stars
05-21-2009, 08:22 AM
I missed the very end of Idol last night! Just after Ryan announced that Kris had won, we had an Emergency Broadcast System announcement, and it stayed up til they ran the credits! Does anyone know if the entire ending is on YouTube yet? Thanks!
PS-I was super glad to see Kris win-I know he is a favorite of many on this board.:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
05-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Here ya go Stars

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/caseycarlson/?action=view&current=kris-winsmp4ff.flv

MikeA
05-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I agree with DF. It was fun watching to see who was going to come out next! Queen Latifa, Cindy Lauper, Lionel Ritchie, Kiss, Queen - it was great!

Don't forget Rod Stewart! Just before he came on, I said to Verna that I would freak if they had Rod come out and sing "Maggi May!"

"Blackeyed Peas" too though they could have left the weird song out. Ain't my Thang.

Brooke
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
YESSSSSSSSSS!
HOORAY FOR KRIS!!!!!!

What does Ticky call that.......happy, happy naked dance?!

What a great night! I absolutely loved Kris with Keith Urban! Of course, you knew I would! :wink: (Pm, how can you not like Keith's songs?) I agree, Mike. I think he should definitely think about going that direction. Fantastic match up! :yay: And how shocked was he when his name was announced as the winner?! What a sweet guy! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Adam and Kiss were fantastic, too! Great match up there also!

Kara and bikini girl?! Good grief! But Kara looked great and sounded great too! Kinda put bikini girl in her place!

All in all, a great night! I wish them both much success!

MikeA
05-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Now wait Brook,

Sure, Kara and sing and write and speak a coherent sentence and has a lot going for her. But Balloon-Girl has two or three redeeming attributes too!

EagleLady
05-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Mike are you counting freckles again? :hilarious:

MikeA
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Mike are you counting freckles again? :hilarious:

It ain't no freckles I'm counting! A shame she can't sing :lol:

EagleLady
05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
:rofl:

Prettymaid
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
It ain't no freckles I'm counting! A shame she can't sing :lol:

Yah, I'm sure you're real torn up about that Mike! :wink:

MikeA
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Those of you who were or are Adam Lambert's fans (or even if you weren't but did like to hear him sing), drop me a PM. I might have something for you.

DonFan
05-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Don't forget Rod Stewart! Just before he came on, I said to Verna that I would freak if they had Rod come out and sing "Maggi May!"

Actually, what I am trying to forget is Rod's plaid coat. :tonguewag:

Prettymaid
05-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Actually, what I am trying to forget is Rod's plaid coat. :tonguewag:

You just don't like plaid at all, you you DF? :wink:

Stars
05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
PM, Thanks so much for posting the link to the entire ending of American Idol, so I could see what I missed! I thought I heard Kris say that Adam should have won! Kris seems like a very humble guy. It was fun seeing him get his trophy too. Apparently this is new, as I don't remember seeing past Idols receiving one.
At any rate, I enjoyed it-thanks again, PM!:partytime:

MikeA
05-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I think that Rod Stewart has sort of gone on a real oldies binge. I mean, like Senatra type stuff. His voice is still unmistakable but he doesn't quite have the execution that he had 40 years ago. Still good though.

No comment on the coat <LOL>

Prettymaid
05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
That's a good way to put it Mike. All I knew was that when he started singing, something was missing. He sounds like a parody of himself!

TimothyBFan
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I just found this on Comcast.net. Thought you Idol fans might find it interesting.

http://http://www.comcast.net/tv/eyeonidol/87851/claytakesaimatadamidol/ (http://http//www.comcast.net/tv/eyeonidol/87851/claytakesaimatadamidol/)

Clay Takes Aim at Adam, 'Idol'

By Victor BaltaFriday, May 22 2009, 10:57 AM
http://static-p-a.comcast.net/api/assets/cimed-20090522/0522-Aiken310.jpgWant to know where Clay Aiken stands on this year's "American Idol" result? He'll tell you. For $29.95 a year.

In a subscription-only part of his Web site where users can see Aiken's blog posts and responses to forum questions, Aiken went on a massive rant about "Idol" runner-up Adam Lambert and about the direction the show has taken in the past few years, according to Gawker.com (http://defamer.gawker.com/5265268/clay-aiken-trashes-american-idol-adam-lambert). Aiken was asked, simply, what he thought of this year's result. What came next was a 700-plus-word response that took on everything from Adam's "Ring of Fire" performance to the public's desire for the show to return to its roots.

It's worth mentioning that there were reports (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/zwecker/1568484,CST-FTR-zp12.article) a couple of weeks ago that Aiken paid an unannounced visit to "Idol" in alleged hopes of collaborating with Adam on a duet or tour. Aiken was reportedly whisked away with an unidentified "Idol" staffer saying he was "persona non grata" around the show because he was the first contestant to cut ties with 19 Entertainment.

*** Click here to follow me on Twitter! (http://twitter.com/VictorBalta) ***

Here are the highlights of Aiken's response:

"Now that it's all over, and for the record.... I couldn't be happier about the way AI ended this year. I only turn the show on once a season, and only to see what the set looks like each year. This year, I happened to turn it during the minute that Adam Lambert was singing "Ring of Fire" and, at that moment, thought my ears would bleed. Contrived, awful, and slightly frightening! I wasn't really a fan and found myself surprised whenever folks told me that they liked him. Granted, I never saw another performance (and many folks who I trust said that he was great) but I can't imagine I would have enjoyed it. Just not my cup of tea at all."

Aiken went on to say he never saw Kris perform, either. What he took issue with was what he called the over-hyping of Adam Lambert.

"However, this year, there was an obvious bias. Not even having watched the show, I can tell you that I was WELL aware of the bias from the judges as to who should win. In my opinion, that is awfully unattractive. I don't think I am alone."

Aiken wrote that Adam likely lost because the final is the first chance voters get to cast their opinions against a specific singer. But this was where he turned his focus toward the show and how it's changed over the years.

"The show was different then, and folks made it in seasons 1-3 because they were 'real' people who happened to sing/entertain well. But, somewhere along the way, AI stopped being about real people."

"In a battle between David and Goliath, my money is on David! I think many voters got sick of being 'told who to vote for.' I think many were turned off by the blatant favoritism shown towards one contestant. Therefore, on that last night, they used their votes against a contestant that they were tired of hearing about and for the contestant who had been written off. And, at the same time, I think they voted AGAINST an American Idol that has, for four years now, been more about the slick productions and polished contestants than it has been about finding the raw talent that it did in its first three seasons.

Those votes for Kris were also votes to return the show to its roots of finding 'real' contestants with undiscovered talent and giving them the chance to grow and shine. They were votes that said 'we're tired of seeing contestants who already seem to know it all.'"

Maleah
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Gotta agree with Clay there! I think he hit the nail on the head with a lot of those points.

DonFan
05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
This is a fantastic idea--I actually said this to my daughter when I was watching Adam sing with Queen on the finale:

From Reuters:

American Idol’ runner-up Adam Lambert’s performance with rock band Queen on the finale of the TV singing contest this week has the British band thinking about a new front man. “Amongst all that furor, there wasn’t really a quiet moment to talk,” Queen guitarist Brian May told Rolling Stone in an interview. “But drummer Roger and I are definitely hoping to have a meaningful conversation with Lambert at some point. It’s not like we, as Queen, would rush into coalescing with another singer just like that. It isn’t that easy. But I’d certainly like to work with Adam. That is one amazing instrument he has there,” May told the magazine. Speaking separately, Lambert also reached out to May. “Queen is one of my all-time favorite bands, I would love to work with them,” he told reporters.

Queen, one of the biggest rock bands of the 1970s and ‘80s, has not had a permanent front man since the death of Freddie Mercury in 1991. The English band recently ended a four-year partnership with Paul Rodgers, the former lead singer in the bands Free and Bad Company. Lambert, 27, dubbed ‘Glambert’ by fans, lost out in the ‘American Idol’ final to Kris Allen. But his vocal skills and flair for the dramatic made him a good fit for performances with both Queen and glam rockers KISS in the show’s finale.

eaglesvet
05-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Gotta agree with Clay there! I think he hit the nail on the head with a lot of those points.
I agree with Clay and Maleah here!

I also agree with DF about Adam...that would seem to be an interesting and appropriate fit!

Molly
05-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Danny will be back in Milwaukee tomorrow. He's "appearing" at Milwaukee's Riverside Theater. He'll be speaking about Sophia's Heart Foundation and members of his church will be singing including Jamal Rogers (the contestant from Milwaukee and Danny's church member/friend who didn't make the final 36 cut).

But, Danny himself will not be singing. I guess he doesn't have permission from AI.

ochiba kid 1
05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
How the heck did Adam not win this thing, everyone I know over here in the UK was 100% behind him, head and shoulders above any other contestant ever on Idol ?????????????

Was it rigged for the school girl vote ? well that's how we describe a disgrace like that, but at least the winner was very humble, good to see, maybe a blessing in discuise for Adam, he may now do some good work without the constraints of Simon Cowell, he sometimes does mess these kids up, like the original Pop Idol over here in 2000, when Will Young won it, that guy is pure class, the other idiot in the final was about 16 years old and a yes man, Will Young stood his ground with Cowell and Will Young is now a great artist after shaking Cowell and having more input into what he does, Gareth Gates is almost now a nobody, Simon you ain't always right

Disgusted Gary.:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Prettymaid
02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, shall we AI fans begin our discussion for season nine?

What do you think of Ellen as a judge? I suppose it's a little too soon to tell. Sounds like she and Simon are already butting heads.

Any standouts yet? Honestly, I haven't watched all that much, but I did watch most of Hollywood week so far. As yet I have no favorites.

sodascouts
02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
That group doing "Dreams" made my ears bleed!!!

I LOVE Paula and it's not the same without her. Paula was there for her musical experience and to provide the heart. Ellen is there for the one-liners with no more musical experience than I have.

Oh well, I watch it for the contestants, not the judges - and so far, nobody has popped out at me.

eaglesvet
02-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I actually am looking forward to Ellen's judging...I think she will be the ear of the music-buying public---which is the target audience of the winner, ultimately. I guess she hosts a variety of musical guests on her daytime show, doesn't she? (I never watch daytime TV.) I really like her personality, and think she will provide a combination of heart and constructive criticism, mixed with humor! I also liked Paula, BTW.

The two singers I like so far are Andrew Garcia, who did his own take of Paula's Straight Up; and a long-haired blonde waitress who did one of Kara's songs and reminded me a bit of Ingrid Michaelson in terms of voice quality. Sorry I can't remember her name, but I bet soon we will.

Maleah
02-13-2010, 11:00 PM
The only contestant's name that I remember that I love right now is Andrew Garcia. LOVE his style and his voice. There are a lot of other favorites (most of them have raspy voices ;) ) but I don't remember who they are. lol However, I CAN tell you that I'm glad that Randy decided to let the guy that took his shirt off for Victoria and Kara go through to hollywood because he had done great in his two rounds since then! I loved his short cover of "I Don't Need No Doctor."

I think Ellen will obviously bring a lot of humor to the show but it does remain to be seen how well she will do. I won't really be able to offer up an opinion until the actual show/voting part starts. I miss Paula though. I know people got annoyed with her but she brought the heart to the show.

eaglesvet
02-14-2010, 12:23 AM
FYI, the shirtless blonde guy's name is Casey. Don't know his last name. I thought he did well with his little bluesy guitar-playing. He's definitely developing a personality.

Prettymaid
02-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Is anybody watching this tonight? They're paring down to the top twenty-four! Exciting stuff!

sodascouts
02-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry - I'm watching the Olympics!

sodascouts
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I'll catch it online later.

Stars
02-17-2010, 12:25 AM
PM, I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it! I'll be anxious to see who makes it through tomorrow. So far my favorites are Andrew and Lily, but that could change as time goes by.:)

Prettymaid
02-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't have any favorites yet. Too early to tell.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I thought some of you might be interested in this. I saw it this morning on my homepage. Who does he think he is really? I agree it's rude but seriously.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/16/adam-lambert-rips-fan-get-off-the-damn-phone/

EagleLady
02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, To be honest, It's rude to be talking on a phone during a concert.

sodascouts
02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Yikes! While I hate it when people talk on the phone during concerts, when the artist stops a song to scold someone, it's a drag for everybody. I also think being less snarky would have helped - the whole "I'm gonna make fun of her" aspect is really immature.

The only thing I can see is if it were a ballad where everyone else was quiet and you could hear her voice because she was being really loud for an extended period... conversations tend to be longer than a minute or two... I could see why that would piss him off and make him want to stop the song.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, To be honest, It's rude to be talking on a phone during a concert.

Look at my post---I said it was rude but, as Soda pointed out, he handled it wrong in most peoples opinion.

EagleLady
02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah he handled it wrong but if the lady wouldn't have yapped on the phone in the first place, it wouldn't have happened

sodascouts
02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Well, duh.

Stars
02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I see my two favorites made it into the top 24-YEA!:applause::yay:

Prettymaid
02-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I watched both nights but I'm still waiting for a favorite to pop up. I do like the girl who carries the picture of her little boy with her and showed it to the judges - what's her name?

sodascouts
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
It seems Casey is the one who a lot of people are finding the most memorable - I like him, too. He's my early favorite. I don't get attached to folks too early, though, because usually all the ones I like don't make the cut!

I can't remember which girl had the baby pictures - might have been Lacey, might have even been Crystal, or someone else entirely!

Latest news is that Chris Golightly was disqualified because of a prior contract and has been replaced by Tim Urban in the Top 24, according to mjsbigblog.com..... and Chris has hired a lawyer and plans to sue!!

And they're now all allowed to Tweet (although they haven't started yet):

Andrew Garcia: @AGarciaAI9 (http://twitter.com/agarciaai9)
Katie Stevens: @KStevensAI9 (http://twitter.com/kstevensai9)
Michael Lynche: @MLyncheAI9 (http://twitter.com/mlyncheai9)
Didi Benami: @DBenamiAI9 (http://twitter.com/dbenamiai9)
Haeley Vaughn: @HVaughnAI9 (http://twitter.com/HVaughnAI9)
Tim Urban: @TUrbanAI9 (http://twitter.com/TUrbanAI9)
Katelyn Epperly: @KEpperlyAI9 (http://twitter.com/kepperlyai9)
Aaron Kelly: @AKellyAI9 (http://twitter.com/akellyai9)
Lee Dewyze: @LDewyzeAI9 (http://twitter.com/ldewyzeai9)
Todrick Hall: @THallAI9 (http://twitter.com/thallai9)
Janell Wheeler: @JWheelerAI9 (http://twitter.com/jwheelerai9)
Tyler Grady: @TGradyAI9 (http://twitter.com/tgradyai9)
Lacey Brown: @LBrownAI9 (http://twitter.com/LBrownAI9)
Ashley Rodriguez: @ARodriguezAI9 (http://twitter.com/ARodriguezAI9)
Alex Lambert: @ALambertAI9 (http://twitter.com/ALambertAI9)
Joe Munoz: @JMunozAI9 (http://twitter.com/JMunozAI9)
Crystal Bowersox: @CBowersoxAI9 (http://twitter.com/CBowersoxAI9)
Lilly Scott: @LScottAI9 (http://twitter.com/LScottAI9)
Paige Miles: @PMilesAI9 (http://twitter.com/PMilesAI9)
Siobhan Magnus: @SMagnusAI9 (http://twitter.com/SMagnusAI9)
Michelle Delamor: @MDelamorAI9 (http://twitter.com/MDelamorAI9)
Jermaine Sellers: @JSellersAI9 (http://twitter.com/JSellersAI9)
John Park: @JParkAI9 (http://twitter.com/JParkAI9)
Casey James: @CJamesAI9 (http://twitter.com/CJamesAI9)

They also have Facebook and MySpace pages.

Prettymaid
02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, here she is; Crystal Bowersox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cka-DoWJyCM

sodascouts
02-24-2010, 12:03 AM
A lot of the girls disappointed me. I still like Crystal with her "One Hand in My Pocket" and Siobahn had a great take on "Wicked Game." The fact that I like them means they will probably get eliminated, lol.

As for Lacey's awful rendition of "Landslide" ... WHY DO IDOL CONTESTANTS KEEP CRAPPING ON FLEETWOOD MAC SONGS??

Prettymaid
02-24-2010, 08:38 AM
A lot of the girls disappointed me. I still like Crystal with her "One Hand in My Pocket" and Siobahn had a great take on "Wicked Game." The fact that I like them means they will probably get eliminated, lol.

As for Lacey's awful rendition of "Landslide" ... WHY DO IDOL CONTESTANTS KEEP CRAPPING ON FLEETWOOD MAC SONGS??

I'm glad you like Crystal, and as for Lacey (you're so good with their names), as soon as I heard it I said to Hubby, "Nancy would hate this!" :hilarious:

And three Beatles songs, wow. Too bad they weren't done well.

I want to comment on Kara. Some people don't like her and I certainly don't like it when she gets 'stupid' with the contestants (last year's Bikini Girl, for example), but I have to admit, I like the way she judges. I think she knows what she's talking about and gives the contestants constructive criticism - something they can take and use going forward.

MikeA
02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I watched it for the first time last night and really wasn't much impressed by anything I heard. Only two garnered any of my attention.

The tall girl who played guitar and sang "Fixing A Hole" by the Beatles. It wasn't that she murdered the song, but she knew what she was doing and I think she might be marketable.

The other one, you guys have already commented on....sang that Melissa Morrisett song, and played the git with a harp around her neck. She's for real.

eaglesvet
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Although she didn't do astonishingly well last night, the one I liked from Hollywood is Didi, one of the long-haired blondes whose comment on herself was that she wanted to show America she could perform without crying. I posted last week that she reminded me of Ingrid Michaelson, and then last night she came out and sang "Just the Way I Am"...I'm glad that she reads The Border! :) I thought she did fine, but she got mixed reviews. I still think she is someone to watch. I also loved Siobhan, who somehow completely slipped underneath my radar before last night. I thought it was cute how she didn't know what it meant to be a "dark horse;" and I agree, she could definitely go to the end. Simon seems to think so, but we all know he is most often wrong for the finalist. My last favorite girl is Lily, the platinum blonde who really changed up a Beatles song and got rave reviews for doing so.

Did anyone else notice that Crystal had some much needed dental work in the time off since Hollywood week? Although she looks to still have some teeth missing in the back (maybe as a part of some continuing work), the front of her teeth are now white and straight, as opposed to discolored and crooked. I notice these things as I had braces as an adult in my late 20's, and my son and hubby currently are both in braces!

Stars
02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
I just watched my tape of AI from last night, and I have to say, Lilly is still my favorite. I'd love to see her win it all!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
as for Lacey (you're so good with their names), as soon as I heard it I said to Hubby, "Nancy would hate this!" :hilarious:

I would love it if they did Fleetwood Mac WELL! But ever since Nikki McKibbin gave a weak version of Stevie's "Edge of Seventeen" in Season 1 (completely wimping out on the trademark visceral howl after "I went forth with an age-old desire to please on the edge of seventeen"), it's all been downhill. (See for yourself here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCNoEzGQCpc)). The ones that were the worst ever were the group numbers - "Don't Stop" from last season and "Dreams" from this season.

evet - a lot of people commented on her teeth being yellow but I never really noticed it, and I didn't notice the improvement either. I did notice how awful Katelyn looked with that heavy makeup and bright red lipstick slathered all over. Who did that to her??

sodascouts
02-24-2010, 11:04 PM
What was up with that? More disappointments.

I didn't get all the praise heaped upon Lee - I like the guy and I hope he stays, but his performance was off-key.

And I can't believe John was talking about Billie Holiday's "God Bless the Child" as being a song he's singing because his parents are struggling with money and it's some kind of nod to them. He obviously has no understanding of what that song is really about. Still, I thought the judges were too hard on him.

When Alex said his defining moment came from the group day and I realized with horror that it was HIS group that butchered "Dreams," I knew then that ALEX MUST GO!!!!

I still like Casey but they were going on far too long about his looks. I was embarrassed for Kara - she was making a fool of herself. He sounded good, but the song didn't seem to be too challenging for him - very mid-range and he didn't even go high like Bryan Adams does in that final "BABY, you're ALL that I want!" Still, at least he was on key.

Top 12 Boys = EH.

Prettymaid
02-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Yea, that's what I meant when I said Kara gets stupid...

Well, I can't remember they're names, but it doesn't matter anyway, since none of the guys stood out last night.

Okay, I just looked up names, so I will make a brief comment on a few of the guys.

Lee Dewyze wasn't too bad (flat at times), but his personality reminds me a bit of David Cook, and that's alright with me.

I also like Joe Munoz' vocals and there's something about young Alex Lambert that makes me want to root for him.

One more thing - Tyler Grady (American Woman) must go!

sodascouts
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
If Kara continues her ridiculous gushing about his looks, there might be a backlash against Casey. It's not fair, but if people get sick enough of it, they won't vote for him to stay.

Prettymaid
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
That is a possibility.

Prettymaid
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
One more thing - Tyler Grady (American Woman) must go!

Hey - I got my wish! :partytime:

sodascouts
02-25-2010, 11:15 PM
And yet Alex stays! Bleh!

Maleah
02-26-2010, 12:43 AM
hahaha Ohhh Nancy, for one of the few times, I must disagree with you. I actually really like Alex's voice (unless there's another one besides Alex Lambert lol). I feel bad for him though because he looks as terrified to be on stage as I would be! Imagine going from singing in front of 20 people to American Idol! And to be fair, the poor boy didn't have a chance in his group cuz those girls were ridiculously big mouthed, pushy, and flat out not good. lol Maybe it's because I really like James Morrison's voice and he sounds a lot like him, but I love Alex's voice.

I also really like the young kid that sang the Rascal Flatt's song. I don't remember his name right now but he's a sweetheart. He reminds me very much of David Archuleta. Very sweet, very polite, very talented.

I'm tired of the whole Kara thing, but I really like Casey James and thought he did well. Something about his voice reminded me of Bob Seger on Tuesday night. I'm sure you all think I'm crazy. LOL! I think the Kara thing will die down though.

I love Andrew Garcia but his song choice and the way he changed it up did not work at all for me on Tuesday. I absolutely LOVED his version of the Paula Abdul song in Hollywood. I hope he can do more stuff like that.

I also happen to really like Lee's voice. As I've stated often, I tend to like voices that have that raspy edge to them and he definently has that when he wants too. lol

Overall, I like more of the guys than I do the girls this season. The only girl that I really like a lot so far is Crystal. We shall see as the season progresses!

-----
ETA: SO glad that Tyler is the one who went home! Didn't get to see the elimination tonight because of work. Who was the other guy that went home? The one who sang Apologize? Because if he didn't, he should have!

Prettymaid
02-26-2010, 08:21 AM
http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Editorial/100215/american_idol_top24/idol-top-24-jose-munoz-1.jpg (http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/american-idol/photos/100036/34)

No, it was Joe.

Stars
02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I was sorry to see Joe go-I think that younger guy should have gone-can't remember his name now. I was glad to see Tyler go, as I didn't understand how he made the top 24 to begin with!:headscratch:
I am happy to see that my two favorites are still in the competition-Lilly and Andrew Garcia.:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think I'm going to officially post favorites until the final twelve.

sodascouts
02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
hahaha Ohhh Nancy, for one of the few times, I must disagree with you. I actually really like Alex's voice (unless there's another one besides Alex Lambert lol). I feel bad for him though because he looks as terrified to be on stage as I would be! Imagine going from singing in front of 20 people to American Idol! And to be fair, the poor boy didn't have a chance in his group cuz those girls were ridiculously big mouthed, pushy, and flat out not good. lol Maybe it's because I really like James Morrison's voice and he sounds a lot like him, but I love Alex's voice.

You can't blame those girls for the fact that he forgot how to sing "Dreams" (he was supposed to sing "women they will come and they will go - when the rain washes you clean you'll know" - which has a completely different melody than the lines he sang). I offer evidence at 1:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvgMinXkjxw

I guess his voice is not bad, although he was a bit off-key on Wednesday and couldn't hit the high note. I'll give him another chance.

Molly
02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Thank goodness that big mouthed Mary from that group didn't make the cut! She was so sure she had it in the bag and was better than everyone else. If I had to watch her every week-I would have been yelling at my TV every time she was on screen.

My son, Peter, is watching this season so far. First time he's ever paid attention to the show. He's rooting for "Big Mike". I hate to burst his bubble, but Big Mike is all personality-I don't think he'll make it very far.

Nancy-"Dreams" is kind of a chick song and way before that poor kid's time. For punishment for picking on him, I want you to go learn all the words to "Jet Airliner". :thumbsup: (Just teasing!)

Prettymaid
02-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I think Maleah is right about his vocals. I think the judges saw that Alex's voice was so good that they couldn't bear to get rid of him...yet!

Furtunately for him, he has another chance. I'm still rooting for him to step it up.

sodascouts
02-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Nancy-"Dreams" is kind of a chick song and way before that poor kid's time. For punishment for picking on him, I want you to go learn all the words to "Jet Airliner". :thumbsup: (Just teasing!)

If it meant I could be on TV in a national singing contest I sure as heck would learn those words! In fact, I think I'll use that song the next time I try out for AI instead of my usual number "The Greatest Love of All" since that hasn't worked for me yet. I sound AWESOME on it, though. :: clears throat :: The Greatest Love of ALLLLLLLL is EASY to ACHIEVEEEEEE.....

Molly
02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
If it meant I could be on TV in a national singing contest I sure as heck would learn those words! In fact, I think I'll use that song the next time I try out for AI instead of my usual number "The Greatest Love of All" since that hasn't worked for me yet. I sound AWESOME on it, though. :: clears throat :: The Greatest Love of ALLLLLLLL is EASY to ACHIEVEEEEEE.....

Remember, I've heard you sing! Actually, I think you have a very nice voice. Very sweet.

I would eat my hat if you ever did try out for AI and sang anything other than a Stevie song, though!

I think that poor kid did know the words to "Dreams", but that intense overload of estrogen on his team scared the bejeebers out of him more than singing on that stage in front of people did.

MikeA
02-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I can understand losing lyrics. Heck, when I'm recording anything, I have the lyrics in front of me....and USE them. I've never been able to remember a song correctly. But then, I'm not trying to get on National Television <LOL>. And, there is GOOD reason for that!

Maleah
02-28-2010, 01:59 AM
I think that poor kid did know the words to "Dreams", but that intense overload of estrogen on his team scared the bejeebers out of him more than singing on that stage in front of people did.

Who WOULDN'T have been terrified in that group? :shock: Wow! lol

sodascouts
02-28-2010, 03:41 AM
I was watching the Winter Olympics, and I just saw the silver medalists in ice dancing do a very cool exhibition number to David Cook's "Billy Jean." Very well done!

In the video, it starts about 1:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07h9eg8EGo

Note: the video is actually from the Nationals, but it's the same routine as they did at the Olympics.

Maleah
02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
oh how I love Mr. Cook and his rendition of that song. :D And I agree, very well done!

eaglesvet
03-02-2010, 10:51 AM

LOL!

eaglesvet
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I was watching the Winter Olympics, and I just saw the silver medalists in ice dancing do a very cool exhibition number to David Cook's "Billy Jean." Very well done!

In the video, it starts about 1:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07h9eg8EGo

Note: the video is actually from the Nationals, but it's the same routine as they did at the Olympics.
Yes, this was excellent on Saturday's exhibition skate...both the song and the skating. Loved it! Wonder if David was aware of it?

eaglesvet
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
About last night's Men's Show...all of a sudden, I'm likin' young Alex Lambert, the one who has the ultimate stage fright, although he seemed to overcome it behind his guitar last night. He has a unique voice, who the judges are comparing to James Morrison (an artist they have mentioned 3 times in the last 2 weeks, but unfortunately I have no idea who that is...:-(. And I usually consider myself fairly well-versed on current musicians, for a woman of my generation :wink:!) I also liked the other youngster, Aaron Kelly, for the first time as well. And the judges are all behind Lee Dewyze, a raspy-voiced rocker who also needs a bit more self-confidence...I thought he sounded much better this week than last.

My earlier favorite, Andrew Garcia ("Straight Up") needs to make his move again, because he is certainly faltering after doing so well in the Hollywood round. I still have hope for him, though.

Stars
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
EV, Andrew Garcia had been my favorite right from the start too! However, I am liking Lee more and more-still haven't given up on Andrew though!:thumbsup:
I first heard James Morrison on the radio when we were in Scotland last year-perhaps he is better known in UK than over here? Maybe some of our UK Borderers could let us know!:)

Prettymaid
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
The first time I ever heard of James Morrison was when we briefly talked about him in the Cat Stevens thread here.
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=68010&highlight=james+morrison#post68010

I think at this point I like Lee best, but I'm really rooting for Alex. Love the tone of his voice.

Prettymaid
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
For now I will stick with Lee and Crystal as early favorites.

Troubadour
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Yep - James Morrison is a Brit and gets lots of airplay in the UK. His breakthrough song was "You Give Me Something", but he's had a few good hits since then.

I caught some of American Idol the other night on Sky... I like the young guy, Alex, too. Casey is great.

sodascouts
03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Wow, emotional eliminations tonight! I wonder why Simon said it was "obvious" who was going home between Lacey and Haeley? Was it because he thought Haeley was just that bad, or was it because all the others were minorities? Haeley must have thought it was obvious, too, as she was crying before Ryan said a word. Personally, I thought Lacey was just as bad.

And what was up with the whole stage manager thing? Poor Haeley, having to perform after the emotional "goodbye" video. She did her best, but it's pretty hard to sing when you're crying. Her song sure was appropriate, though, wasn't it?

I didn't have a chance to weigh in on contestants before because I just watched them online, but certainly the guys and girls were better this week! I didn't think anyone really sucked. My fave girls are Siobhan and Crystal, and my fave guys are Lee and Casey (although I think Casey hasn't really stretched vocally). Still not sold on Alex. He needs to stay away from high notes. However, he's not as bad as I initially thought. ;)

Who I want to go: Lacey is the only one I really want to go at this point.

Prettymaid
03-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I think at this point America is calling it right. To be honest, of the eight who faced elimination last night, I wouldn't have cared who left.

Stars
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I thought Siobhan and Crystal really shone tonight, and I was quite impressed with the singer who did "Rhiannon". Of course I thought of Soda immediately!;-)
Soda, what did you think of her rendition? I liked the simple arrangement, and I think she did it justice.:nod:

sodascouts
03-10-2010, 01:22 AM
I was out with the fam and didn't get a chance to catch this live, but I just went back and watched the video on rickey.org (http://www.rickey.org/?p=34846). The girl who did it is Didi, and I liked it alright. Stevie has been doing a similar stripped-down first verse of Rhiannon in concerts for quite a while (after which the bass kicks in and she rocks it), but Didi did make some nuanced changes that worked. Certainly it was best job on a Fleetwood Mac/Stevie tune on this show so far! I only wish she'd given it a little more "oomph."

Bottom line: I hope Didi stays.

sodascouts
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Just watched the rest, and here are my thoughts:

Katie ("Breakaway") - Forgettable.

Siobhan ("The House of the Rising Sun") - Still like her a lot. She's got some pipes and puts emotion into it.

Lacey ("The Story") - Decent, but not good enough to redeem herself after her hatchet job on "Landslide." She's just another affected singer working the "quirky" angle. Can't wait for her to go.

Katelyn ("I Feel the Earth Move") - Not bad, but nothing that really stands out either. Still, I think the judges were a bit harsh.

Paige ("Smile") - A drag to listen to.

Crystal ("Give Me One Reason") - Great! Now THERE's "oomph."

Lilly ("I Fall to Pieces") - I started out enjoying her, but every week I like her a little less. The affectations of her voice wear thin.

Paige is going, I think. Hopefully, Lacey will join her, but it might be Katie. She was in the "death spot" of going first and, like I said, she was forgettable.

eaglesvet
03-10-2010, 02:15 AM
I agree with you, Stars and Soda. I think Siobhan, Didi, and Crystal were hot tonight!

Prettymaid
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Once again Soda, thanks for the names to refer to.

I missed Katie's performance but from your reactions I didn't miss much.

I have to disagree with you all. I did not like Didi's rendition of Rhiannon. I think I'll go give it another listen.

My girl Crystal is holding her own. I'm proud of myself for picking her out back in mid February. I also like Siobhan. She's mesmerizing.

It frustrates me that these contestants still don't know what songs to pick to best give that wow factor. I Feel the Earth Move and Smile are great songs but come on! They are sabotaging themselves!