PDA

View Full Version : JD Souther

Pages : 1 [2]

TimothyBFan
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Just fancied posting this again because... yum!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/jdsoutherdogs2.jpg

I almost just put this same picture in the Celebrity Crush thread. :lol: Great minds.....

Troubadour
04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Oh yeah, he could DEFINITELY go there! :smitten: This pic is just perfect. Very rugged and Don-like. And any guy who loves dogs gets brownie points in my book (and yours, too, I'm sure!)

Troubadour
04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
JD just posted this photo on FB - the setlist from his show on the 25th. Very cool!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/Continued/JDSoutherSetlist.jpg

sodascouts
04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Oh, he's dropped "Talking to the Moon"! And my fave song of his, "Last in Love," isn't there either. I'm glad the show I went to a couple years ago had a different setlist.

Brooke
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I wonder if he ever does Heart of the Matter?

sodascouts
05-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Not that I know of, but since he did TTTM, it's very possible he's done HOTM at some point.

He was taking requests at the show I went to. I wonder what he would have said if I had yelled out "Bring Back Funky Women" from Longbranch Pennywhistle? lol!

GlennLover
05-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Not that I know of, but since he did TTTM, it's very possible he's done HOTM at some point.

He was taking requests at the show I went to. I wonder what he would have said if I had yelled out "Bring Back Funky Women" from Longbranch Pennywhistle? lol!

I really think you should have tried it! :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-16-2012, 12:45 PM
First look at 'Nashville', which JD is in.

http://youtu.be/mB9WHtAv7ts

GlennLover
05-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Rats! The video isn't available in Canada!

zeldabjr
05-16-2012, 06:18 PM
First look at 'Nashville', which JD is in.

http://youtu.be/mB9WHtAv7ts

oh this looks juicy... do you know when it starts?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't, and since they didn't say, maybe it's not scheduled yet?

TimothyBFan
05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
That looks really good, I just hope I can stand the music, KWIM? :???: JD looking GOOOOOOOD!!!! And bonus, POWERS BOOTHE as her daddy! He not only is fine to look at, but I melt as soon as he opens his mouth and speaks!!!

sodascouts
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
The premiere date of JD's show Nashville on ABC is set for Oct. 10 at 10:00 Eastern, 9:00 Central. Here's a Fall Preview write-up: http://tvline.com/2012/08/14/fall-tv-preview-nashville-abc/

Tiffanny Twisted
09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
ok I'm in...gonna watch

Ive always been a dreamer
09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Sounds good - I hope I can remember to watch it. As some of you know, I don't watch a lot of TV so I can easily forget these things.

zeldabjr
09-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Sounds good - I hope I can remember to watch it. As some of you know, I don't watch a lot of TV so I can easily forget these things.

I don't watch a lot of shows either, but must check it out...I hope someone reminds me around that time!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-09-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't watch a lot of shows either, but must check it out...I hope someone reminds me around that time!
will do girls...remind you that is tt

VAisForEagleLovers
10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
The premiere date of JD's show Nashville on ABC is set for Oct. 10 at 10:00 Eastern, 9:00 Central. Here's a Fall Preview write-up: http://tvline.com/2012/08/14/fall-tv-preview-nashville-abc/

Giving this a bump as a reminder. 10pm EDT, 9pm Central, tonight.

Troubadour
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Also, he has a new live album called Midnight in Tokyo (http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/midnight-in-tokyo-live/id564270416), available to download from iTunes!

zeldabjr
10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Giving this a bump as a reminder. 10pm EDT, 9pm Central, tonight.

thanks VA for the reminder...or I would have forgotten...even though I saw a commercial for it yesterday!...where is my brain?

sodascouts
10-10-2012, 11:16 PM
JD fits perfectly into that role. The show itself piqued my interest. I'll be watching!

zeldabjr
10-10-2012, 11:58 PM
JD fits perfectly into that role. The show itself piqued my interest. I'll be watching!

agree

GlennLover
10-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Darn, I forgot to watch it! :sad: Maybe Harold recorded it as he was interested in watching it. I must go check.

10-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I actually remember to watch it as well. Yep - I'm definitely going to have to tune back in next week. I have an aunt that lives in Nashville so I've visited there quite a bit - it's cool seeing so many Nashville landmarks that I'm familiar with on the show.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
i liked the show.:)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I recorded it, but didn't watch it yet. Maybe I'll do that now before the Steeler game.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I as usual will have to re watch it on line...i fell asleep before the end.
What I saw was great.

Brooke
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I watched and liked it too!

Brooke
10-16-2012, 09:19 AM
JD has been nominated for the Songwriter's Hall of Fame!

More here:

http://www.jdsouther.net/index.htm?inc=5&news_id=20903

zeldabjr
10-16-2012, 03:09 PM
JD has been nominated for the Songwriter's Hall of Fame!

More here:

http://www.jdsouther.net/index.htm?inc=5&news_id=20903

:applause::applause::applause:

GlennLover
10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Congrats to, JD!!!

Troubadour
10-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Very cool indeed, and well-deserved!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I really can't believe it took this long. More than well deserved...

Tiffanny Twisted
10-17-2012, 03:43 PM
great job :cheers:

10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure what's going on with this. It's pretty confusing because I did a little research and J.D.'s name is not listed on any list I've seen for 2013. Maybe the way this works is that he has been nominated, but he has to get voted in to actually be inducted. Can anyone shed any light on this? The lists that I've found for 2013 include ...

B. B. King
Elvis Costello
Jimmy Buffett
Vince Gill
Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, and Christine McVie
Foreigner's Mick Jones and Lou Gramm of Foreigner
Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart
Jeff Lynne
Aeromsith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry
Steve Winwood
Bobby Womack

Anyway, also a reminder that the 2nd episode of Nashville airs tonight at 10:00 EST on ABC.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Dreamer, I'm not sure where you got your list. This is the official list of nominees that will be voted on to be inducted into the SWHOF in 2013.

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/songwriters_hall_of_fame_2013_nominees_for_inducti on_announced

10-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks VA. I was trying to find this list, but, obviously, didn't look hard enough. I found that list in a Bing search and since I saw 3 others that all matched, I figured it was right. Just proves what we often say - you can't believe everything you read on the internet. :grin:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks VA. I was trying to find this list, but, obviously, didn't look hard enough. I found that list in a Bing search and since I saw 3 others that all matched, I figured it was right. Just proves what we often say - you can't believe everything you read on the internet. :grin:

I did a Google search on the HOF itself (since I couldn't remember the URL) and found the link on the site. Maybe the list you posted was who was inducted this year as opposed to nominated.

10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Well - that's what I was trying to figure out - who is actually being inducted? It looks like the voting is still in progress. :shrug:

ETA: I seem to recall us talking about this before on the board, but I don't know if I can find the discussion or not. If I do, I'll come back here and post the link.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Well - that's what I was trying to figure out - who is actually being inducted? It looks like the voting is still in progress. :shrug:

ETA: I seem to recall us talking about this before on the board, but I don't know if I can find the discussion or not. If I do, I'll come back here and post the link.

They just announced who was nominated. I think it takes a while to get the votes in (you have to be a member, I think) and then the announcement of who wins. Probably the induction for this round won't happen for a while (it's definitely in 2013, so no time soon).

ETA: It says this... "Eligible voting members will have until December 17th, 2012 to turn in ballots with their choices of three nominees from a non-performer and two from a performer category. For information with which to register or renew as a voting member before November 19th in order to participate in this election, please go to songhall.org/join.

The 2013 Annual Awards Gala will take place at the New York Marriott Marquis on Thursday, June 13th."

10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks again VA. That clears it up for me. It's funny cause I was just coming here to post almost the same thing you just posted, but you're one step ahead of me cause I was responding to you in another thread. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
10-18-2012, 01:50 AM
I was all amped up to watch the second episode of Nashville, but tornadoes moved through the region and the show was pre-empted by weather coverage. All's well now, but so much for my plans!

zeldabjr
10-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I was all amped up to watch the second episode of Nashville, but tornadoes moved through the region and the show was pre-empted by weather coverage. All's well now, but so much for my plans!

omg that's scary....glad you're ok!...I watched...it's gonna get juicy!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I haven't watched it yet, I will tonight. Soda, I'm glad to hear you're OK!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Sounds like Don sent JD a 'good job' email after last week's premier of the show.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/songwriter-j-d-souther-on-stumbling-into-his-role-in-nashville-20121018

Tiffanny Twisted
10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for posting.
I enjoyed this article .
I really like the show and hope it is successful for him and the others

10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Glad all is well, Soda. And how cool of Don to send JD that email. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I've watched both episodes and can definitely see myself getting hooked. As zelda said, it's gonna get juicy! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Apparently, today is JD's birthday.

11-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Happy belated JD. Hope it was a wonderful day and thank you for your contributions to this great band.

And BTW - I am really getting hooked on 'Nashville" although this last week's episode is the first one in which JD has not appeared.

sodascouts
11-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Same here! Happy belated b-day to Mr. Souther!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-03-2012, 09:50 PM
:birthday::birthday:happy birthday jd

GlennLover
11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Here's an interesting Q&A article with JD.He talks mainly about "Nashville", but he does say a bit about the 70's & his association with Don, Glenn & Linda Rondstat, among others.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/a-pop-zelig-on-screen-and-off-j-d-souther-on-nashville-and-his-colorful-career/

Tiffanny Twisted
11-15-2012, 07:52 AM
intresting article thanks for posting

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 01:22 PM
That had a lot of little details about Glenn and Don that I hadn't heard before regarding the old days! Thanks! It's interesting to read about Nashville too, of course. I sure wish I could watch it on Thursday nights instead of teach.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I thought it was on Wednesday nights? You probably teach then, too...

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I do, which is why I got it mixed up. Thanks for the clarification, though, in case others want to catch it!

sodascouts
01-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Aw man! I pulled up second row to his Nashville show tomorrow, but instead of snapping it up, I paused to contact a friend and ask if she'd like to go with me. While I waited for her to decide, the ticket timed out and now it's gone. Now the best I can do is Row M which is not worth the four hour drive to get there. Guess I wasn't meant to go. :( Ah well, it would have been a short set anyway. The man lives in Nashville - surely I'll get another chance and I won't pause next time.

PS The friend said she wasn't interested in going so I lost the ticket for nothing!

Tiffanny Twisted
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
sorry to hear that nancy...it would have been a good show i am sure

sodascouts
01-12-2013, 03:49 PM
At least we can stream it: http://www.opry.com/wsm/ - tonight at 7:00 pm Central. Oh well, at least it saves me about $110 ($60 for the ticket and $50 for gas.)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-12-2013, 04:27 PM
It's also on SiriusXM...I forget what channel.

sodascouts
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Listening now. His voice sounds a little thin but I really wish I had snapped up that ticket and gotten to see him on such a historic show.

ETA: I take it back - I'm glad I didn't go. He only did two songs!

zeldabjr
01-12-2013, 11:47 PM
yeah that would have been a bummer to go all the way there for two songs!

Troubadour
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I wasn't able to listen live. Which songs did he perform?

sodascouts
01-13-2013, 05:34 PM
"You're Only Lonely" and "Faithless Love." Vince Gill joined him on the latter song.

Troubadour
01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Soda. Got to say, I'd have been a bit disappointed with just two songs, too!

By the way, I love your avatar.

sodascouts
01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks! I found it on a tumblr that has a lot of Glenn pics.

Troubadour
02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
JD did an interview with WSM Radio (http://www.wsmonline.com/shows/ascap-songwriters-show/) recently. Follow the link and you can find it in the Archives section.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-22-2013, 02:27 PM
He made it!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME ANNOUNCES 2013 INDUCTEES
Tony Hatch, Mick Jones & Lou Gramm, Holly Knight, JD Souther, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry to be Inducted June 13th in NYC

Troubadour
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Wow, that is AWESOME. I am thrilled. So well-deserved!

sodascouts
02-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Congrats to JD! He's earned it!

Brooke
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Yay for JD! Well deserved!

zeldabjr
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Congrats to JD Souther...:yay:...well deserved honor I say!!

sodascouts
04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I flew back to Nashville from Columbus today (it was cheaper than flying from Memphis) and found out JD was playing at Douglas Corner Cafe as part of Tin Pan South tonight. I decided to go.... Although it's going to be weird going to a bar alone on a Saturday night and it means I won't get back home until after midnight. Hope I don't regret it!

zeldabjr
04-06-2013, 05:19 PM
I flew back to Nashville from Columbus today (it was cheaper than flying from Memphis) and found out JD was playing at Douglas Corner Cafe as part of Tin Pan South tonight. I decided to go.... Although it's going to be weird going to a bar alone on a Saturday night and it means I won't get back home until after midnight. Hope I don't regret it!

sounds like a fun time Soda!...why not?!!

sodascouts
04-06-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm also not sure how early to get there... Sitting in a nearby Panera right now with such hideously slow wifi that I'm timing out even trying to make a couple posts. Guess my Border time will have to wait!

Troubadour
04-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Wow, Nancy - I am quite envious! I hope you enjoy it and that it's not too weird for you! I'm sure it will be a great show. Looking forward to a full report (and some pics, if you take any!)

Outlawman13
04-06-2013, 06:24 PM
That is so amazing Nancy!!!!!! I hope you enjoy yourself over there and listening to JD in concert. LOL I don't think it will be weird at all to be at a bar by yourself. LOL you are in there for a good cause.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Nancy have a great time . cant wai to hear all about JD

04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Well - that sure was a stroke of luck. Have a great time and just let people know you're a hardcore - they'll understand. lol

Brooke
04-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Nancy, you never cease to amaze me! Have fun and maybe you will meet someone 'interesting'! Besides JD!

sodascouts
04-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Just got back. I had a great time and I'm so glad I went! More details after I get some rest!

Outlawman13
04-07-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm so glad that you had a great time Nancy!!!!! Can't wait for your review!!!!

sodascouts
04-12-2013, 01:54 AM
It was a really cool experience! I had no idea what to expect. As I said earlier, I had just found out the night prior that JD was going to be playing the Douglas Corner Cafe in Nashville the very evening I was arriving back in the city from Columbus. It seemed meant to be that I go! Even though I was tired and feeling a bit raggedy, I decided I couldn't pass up such a fortuitous circumstance. I drove over and lined up at about 4:30 for his 6:30 show.

Since I wasn't a part of Tin Pan South, I got let in after all of those folks - and the place only held about 125 people. However, luck was on my side! Not only did I get in, but a nice older lady who was a TPS Sponsor and thus had one of the best seats in the house let me sit at her table since I was by myself.

The only problem was that the seats were in the round, and I happened to be behind JD's back! Still, with a little craning, I could catch his profile. In the picture below, you can see me over the shoulder of the lady in the red shirt behind JD, a bit out of focus. The female singer in the hat in Sarah Buxton. The other featured performer was "Big Al" Anderson, but he's cut out of this photo.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/JDDouglasCornerCafe.jpg

Here's a photo the kind lady who let me sit at her table took:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/JDDouglasCornerCafeProfile.jpg

The performers took turns singing lead but they all played on each others' songs. The songs JD played were:

Simple Man, Simple Dream
I'll Take Care of You
New Kid in Town
The Sad Cafe
I'll Be Here at Closing Time
White Rhythm and Blues
Heartache Tonight
Best of My Love

Each got introduced with a little story.

Simple Man, Simple Dream: Warren Zevon was hanging out with him one time while he was getting interviewed and when the interviewer asked JD which of his songs was his favorite ,he told them "Well, they're like my children, I can't pick a favorite..." (sound familiar). Zevon interrupted and said "I'll tell you which one is your favorite: Simple Man, Simple Dream... because it's the shortest!"

I'll Take Care of You: He first brought up the Eagles intro'ing this. He said "No offense to the Eagles, but after the Dixie Chicks covered this and it made so much money, they became my favorite group!" Then he paused and said "Then the Eagles put out Long Road Out of Eden which had a couple more of my songs on it and they became my favorite group again." He was laughing, of course. Also he talked a bit about that songwriting trip he took to Cuba in the nineties because that's when the Dixie Chicks' cover of ITCOY came out.

He claimed he had a new song he wanted to play but he couldn't do it because he hadn't yet decided on a title. He also admitted he only had 97 words, lol. He then apologized for his voice; apparently Nashville's recent pollen invasion had affected him and his voice wasn't what he'd hoped. Additionally, he was in bad shape because his finger kept bleeding. He said the skin was thin and kept breaking; the bandaids kept giving out and it was hurting him to play. Luckily replacement bandaids were donated for him, poor guy!

New Kid in Town: He into'd this by saying that he enjoyed writing songs with his "dear friends" Glenn Frey and Don Henley and that he'd come up with the basis of the music, which he called a "Mexican Ranchera" song. He said when he took it to Glenn and Don they were really impressed and gave "the universal sign of approval" (I didn't see what that was). He also mentioned the documentary and said that recently, he'd been interviewed by someone who'd asked him, "How do you feel about the fact that a lot of your best work was recorded by the Eagles instead of you?" JD paused and then said to us, "I think he expected me to complain." We laughed and JD continued, "If you can have a great time making music with your friends and make a lot of money as well, then there's no reason to complain."

After the song was over Big Al, who is HILARIOUS, joked "Hey, you know what JD, that sounds like a hit to me. You just gotta get it to the right artist." We were all laughing at that!

The Sad Cafe: JD said he started out a drummer but that was too loud. He and the man who was playing keyboards had some confusion about what key the song was in, and JD offered to just sing a different song, but the keyboardist told him he'd just transpose it in his head. JD joked that not too many people could do that any more and quoted Bill Anderson who'd said "I only know three chords, but I know where to buy a capo!" Once they finally got everything straightened out, the song worked fine.

I'll Be Here At Closing Time: It turns out that he really did see a waitress with a sexy walk who carried the water in a way he found suggestive, lol, and he decided to write a song about her! He said the restaurant is closed now and he said the name of it - it sounded like "Saney's" but I have no idea if that is correct because it was hard to make it out.

White Rhythm and Blues: Tech problems pre-empted the story for this one. :( While waiting for things to be fixed, he joked that Big Al was "an interesting bunch of guys." Hmm, where have I heard that before? ;)

Heartache Tonight: He talked about how much money he made from his Eagles songs, and how nice that was, lol. Unfortunately he only sang about half of this as he forgot the words! I wanted to shout them out but I thought that would probably be rude. Ah well, it was still fun.

Best of My Love: he ended by thanking the NSAI (http://www.nashvillesongwriters.com/) for supporting musicians in the community with Tin Pan South and its other ventures, and said he was going to do this song because it was "expected of him" and because it made him so much money.

BTW, Nashville fans - Sam Palladio was there, sitting at the bar just like everybody else! I said hello to him while I was waiting in line for the ladies' room (the line wrapped around to the bar area where he was - they only had a single toilet!)

Before I left, I screwed my courage up and approached JD as he was putting away his guitar. I waited until he was done talking to Al, then asked if I could take a photo with both him and Al (I didn't want to be rude by excluding Al). However, Al was already walking away and so it wound up being just me and JD after all! I posed next to him and pulled out my phone to take a picture of us - only to have it crap out. The battery was too low for a flash! I took a photo anyway but it didn't really come out. I was bummed, but other people were waiting and I had already taken enough of his time. I turned to him to thank him and he commented that it wasn't really focused, and I sighed "Oh well. I tried" then made to move away. I guess to make me feel better, he reached out and pulled me into a tight hug and even gave me a kiss on the cheek. I was surprised and delighted, lol.

I'm so glad I didn't go straight home from the airport and hung around a few extra hours to see JD! It was WELL worth it!

PS - if you ever go to Douglas Corner Cafe - eat before you get there! Their pizza tasted like microwaved cardboard with a splash of Ragu and cheese -and it was burnt to boot! I know, I didn't go there for the food, but it was the worst pizza I had ever had in my LIFE, and it left a nasty aftertaste that lasted until the next morning even though I drank a large soda and had some french fries on the way back to try and get rid of it.

To end on a positive note - can't wait until I get a chance to see JD perform again!

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Soda it sounds great. I'm glad you had fun and a hug/kiss you are a lucky girl:thumbsup:

Outlawman13
04-12-2013, 01:07 PM
LOL amazing stuff Nancy!!!!!!!! So glad that you got a kiss and a hug from the man himself. OHHH I would've loved to hear him sing!!!! You are too lucky!!!

Troubadour
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks so much for the review and pics, Nancy - great stuff! I'm so glad you decided to be brave and hang around. Sounds like it was well worth it.

Brooke
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Wow, Nancy! How cool that he hugged and kissed you! You lucky girl! Too bad about your picture though. I'm so glad you stayed for it! :cool:

mustangkim11
05-07-2013, 06:22 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7c2417d29a09212f83866b0eece6a7fe/tumblr_mmerxrgWsL1qcgbbpo5_r1_400.jpg

Check out this old shot of JD and Jackson Browne I found on Tumblr. Whew! :nahnah:

JD was sexy back in the day and still is!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Nancy,
I loved your review
and how exciting to get a kiss and a hug

Prettymaid
05-07-2013, 07:16 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/7c2417d29a09212f83866b0eece6a7fe/tumblr_mmerxrgWsL1qcgbbpo5_r1_400.jpg

Check out this old shot of JD and Jackson Browne I found on Tumblr. Whew! :nahnah:

JD was sexy back in the day and still is!

Nice photo! And yes, in that picture I prefer JD to JB!

Outlawman13
05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JD was/still is hot!!!!

Brooke
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Great pic! I like them both!

Topkat
05-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Just now seeing this. That sounds like a great little side trip you had Soda, even though the pizza was bad, at least the music was good! :thumbsup:
Glad you got to see JD. Perfect timing....Timing is everything sometimes!

zeldabjr
05-13-2013, 01:52 AM
I just found this and am not sure whether it's singing or them talking about song writing...but would love to go...only $20...it's being billed as "Songwriters"...it's at the Fallsview Casino on May 25...I think I need to go!

With a string of chart-topping singles, multi-award winning Bob DiPiero, JD Souther and Kim Carnes share the creative journey behind their lyrics that have inspired legendary performances for some of music’s biggest stars including Tim McGraw, Don Henley, Kenny Rogers, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Buffet and the Eagles.

Buy your tickets at Fallsview Casino Resort's Box Office (open Noon on show days), at all Ticketmaster locations, by calling Ticketmaster at 1-877-833-3110 or online at www.ticketmaster.ca.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
sounds really intresting ....I"d go if it was closer

sodascouts
05-30-2013, 12:27 AM
I've going to see him again - and this time he'll be with Jack Tempchin!

Here's the event:

http://summersongwritersnight.com/?page_id=548

Prettymaid
05-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Exciting! Will you be going to the pre-show party?

sodascouts
05-30-2013, 02:21 AM
That's right! I'm bringing a couple of CDs in case they agree to signing them, and a camera in case they agree to have their pictures taken with me.

zeldabjr
05-30-2013, 02:31 AM
very cool Soda...they did something like that here last week...but it was only JD...and two other song writers I've never heard of...I still wanted to go...but had a family party to go to...I'm sure it'll be great...

Tiffanny Twisted
05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Very cool.how many of these types of things have u done?
I remember gf and jd

Brooke
05-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Very cool! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Very cool.how many of these types of things have u done?
I remember gf and jd

I've never done an event like this before, but I've seen JD twice before and Jack Tempchin once.

Troubadour
05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Very cool, Nancy! Wish I could come with you!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I've never done an event like this before, but I've seen JD twice before and Jack Tempchin once.

Well have a blast

Thirsty&Hot
05-31-2013, 12:04 AM
just saw your post from 4-12 Nancy!
that's awesome!
all of it...including Sam Palladio :)

a JD hug and kiss! you lucky duck!!

Thirsty&Hot
05-31-2013, 12:05 AM
I heard about JD's and Jack Tempchin's upcoming show in TN...wishing I was gonna be there then!
I'm gonna be in Nashville and the Smokies end of June and beginning of July!
I'll be seeing live music for sure, but wish someone like these guys were playing while I'm there!

Prettymaid
05-31-2013, 08:39 AM
I have a great idea! Soda can ask Jack about his FB post about Bernie playing with the Eagles !

Houston Baby
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Have fun Nancy!! This sounds so cool! Can't wait to hear your take on it!

sodascouts
05-31-2013, 04:21 PM
If I see an opportune moment to ask Jack, I will!

Troubadour
05-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Go Nancy!

AEW21
06-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Tonight (13th) was the induction of JD into Songwriters Hall of Fame of Fame. I see Peter Asher and Allison Krause spoke on his behalf. A wonderful honor, but I sort of hoped either Don or Glenn or Jackson might do it...

zeldabjr
06-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Tonight (13th) was the induction of JD into Songwriters Hall of Fame of Fame. I see Peter Asher and Allison Krause spoke on his behalf. A wonderful honor, but I sort of hoped either Don or Glenn or Jackson might do it...

:applause:...yes that would have been much better!!!

sodascouts
06-18-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't have time to post a detailed review, but I'll just say that although he played a little less time than I would have liked, he was good! He was also very friendly afterwards and signed an album. The bass player had a family emergency so it was just JD and his keyboard player Chris Walters.

The setlist was:

Simple Man Simple Dream
New Kid in Town
Go Ahead and Rain
Banging My Head Against the Moon
Faithless Love
Ain't Misbehavin'
Sad Cafe
You're Only Lonely
Closing Time
Heartache Tonight

Prettymaid
06-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks Soda!

Troubadour
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for that! Nice setlist. I hope everything is okay with his bass player...

Troubadour
06-26-2013, 05:23 PM
A cool recent interview on Sirius (http://ronbenningtoninterviews.com/2013/06/14/jd-souther/). I love how laid-back and relaxed JD is here. He mentions Linda's new book, among other things. Well worth a listen!

Prettymaid
06-26-2013, 07:01 PM
I listened! I have to admit, I've never paid much attention to JD before, but he's fun to listen to. He got lots of stories. Sounds like he'll put out a book too, someday!

Outlawman13
07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I've been listening to his music lately and I have to say that I love his songs!!! They are all so good and love JD's voice!!

Troubadour
07-20-2013, 08:06 PM
A great write-up (http://www.myssnews.com/blogs/the-arts/22573-hall-of-fame-songwriter-jd-souther-leaves-linden-audience-spellbound.html) of JD's recent show in Linden, Texas. Don is mentioned as Linden's 'native son'. :heart:

secret squirrel
09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
So here's where I should have posted the JDS interview:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=40798

This board is so well organised!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html

Prettymaid
09-06-2013, 09:46 PM
So here's where I should have posted the JDS interview:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=40798

This board is so well organised!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html

Soda and the Mod Squad do a great job!

sodascouts
09-07-2013, 04:45 PM
lol. Thanks!

Brooke
08-07-2014, 02:38 PM
JD acts in the new Florida Georgia Line video, Dirt

http://tasteofcountry.com/florida-georgia-line-dirt-video/

DJ
08-07-2014, 08:37 PM
I just saw this video the other day very poignant video, I still JD is very sexy!! :faint:

sodascouts
08-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Thanks for this. I love JD and it's a very moving video.

sodascouts
04-13-2015, 12:47 AM
JD has a new album coming out in May called Tenderness! More info here:

http://www.jdsouther.net/index.htm?inc=5&news_id=21552

Surely he will tour a bit to support it. I look forward to getting a chance to see him again - even though he lives in Nashville, he hasn't played a gig around here since the Songwriter's Showcase I went to a couple years ago.

DJ
04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
I listen to John David South just about as much as the Eagles. He is a terrific songwriter/singer and not to back to look at. Even today he's a cutie. My favorite song by him is Fifteen Bucks.
:partytime:

NightMistBlue
04-20-2015, 02:31 PM
It was surprising that JD said the tune of "Best of My Love" was borrowed from a Fred Neil song. I've been listening to a number of Fred Neil songs but haven't heard a likely suspect.

Shadowland07
05-14-2015, 11:33 AM
JD did a Reddit AMA yesterday.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/35to0v/i_am_jd_souther_a_songwriter_and_singer_ask_me/

What would you ask JD?

sodascouts
05-14-2015, 03:34 PM
maybe the difference between songwriting with Glenn, songwriting with Don, and songwriting with Joe (he's done all three).

05-14-2015, 09:02 PM
That's a great question, Soda. I would love to here his answer. I would also like to ask him to elaborate on any discussions/considerations about him becoming an Eagle if any.

DJ
05-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Just adding my two cents, so glad he didn't become an Eagle because he is fabulous all on his own. Love me JD Souther music.:)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-17-2015, 05:33 PM
A nice article about JD

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150617/SPECIAL/150619435/-1/NEWS04

VAisForEagleLovers
07-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Another nice article about JD and mentions some of his history with the Eagles.

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyle/20150702/lib-at-large-jd-southers-songs-are-better-known-than-he-is-but-thats-just-fine-with-him

07-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks VA - that was a fun read!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Does everyone remember Glenn being on Tavis Smiley's show on PBS three years ago? It was a great interview. Now, JD will be on it. You need to check local listings, it's to be today sometime. If you wait a little while, it will be available at this link:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/

UndertheWire
07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Here it is. Good interview but far too short.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/musician-jd-souther/?show=25282

The way he tells a story is so like Glenn. I wonder who learnt from whom.

UndertheWire
07-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Has anyone listened to JD's new album? I was waiting until Amazon had some samples available, and those turned up yesterday. I liked what I heard, so I bought it.

It may contend with "After Hours" when I want to relax, but with the advantage of being all new songs (and good ones). JD's voice sounds great and there are some good jazzy arrangements. The strings verge on being schmaltzy at times but not unbearably so. My favourite line, "Lonely, like Christmas with noone around".

VAisForEagleLovers
07-28-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks, UTW, I've been meaning to check it out. I will now.

UndertheWire
07-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Hey, there are promotional videos of JD performing two of the songs on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpj6H4piupZXXdO_DlII8jg

UndertheWire
08-07-2015, 02:01 PM
JD might be becoming my new favourite singer. I've just bought his previous album "If the world was you" and I really like it.

Anyhow, I noticed that his manager is listed as Ron Stone. The same Ron Stone who helped manage him at Geffen-Roberts more than forty years ago.

shunlvswx
08-07-2015, 10:23 PM
JD will be playing Music City Theatre in Linden on September 12th.

DJ
08-07-2015, 11:46 PM
I admire JD Souther for his voice and his unique quality of songs that he writes. His voice is a little rougher on the new album but ya still gotta love JD. I love his Desperado album cover quote "Everybody loves lookin at the corpse of a bad boy" LOL

UndertheWire
06-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Here's a nice litle interview JD gave last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPy5BfUEI1U

Annoying Twit
06-28-2016, 01:22 PM
I hadn't heard "If The World Was You" and started playing it on Spotify. Immediately it starts with a song that could be a classic Eagles track if Eagleised - "I'll Be Here At Closing Time". I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

Brooke
06-28-2016, 02:29 PM
UtW, thanks for that interview! Enjoyed it!

I love his song You're Only Lonely. Those asian girls rap version was a hoot!

Annoying Twit
06-29-2016, 06:51 AM
Does anyone else think that JD sounds like Glenn on "House of Pride"?

UndertheWire
10-24-2016, 05:02 AM
Here's JD telling stories and singing "Last in Love".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqIQKGdGVo

And this is a short piece where he talks about the LA 70s scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lui6x6z7SE

Delilah
10-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Thank you for the links, UTW. I think it may be time for J.D. write his autobiography. He has a nice voice but I definitely prefer George Strait's rendition of "Last in Love".

sodascouts
09-23-2017, 09:34 AM
I'll be seeing JD in Memphis tonight. It's been a while - I'm looking forward to it!

New Kid In Town
09-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Soda - Have a great time !
My sister and BIL saw Jackson on Thurs at the PNC(Garden State) Arts Center with Little Stevie and J.Giles Band. Bruce made an appearance too. When I saw he was playing I was going to as if she wanted to go. However since it was a Thursday night I figured she would not want to go because she would not get home till very late and she gets up very early for work. Oh well.

UndertheWire
09-23-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm envious. Have a good time. I'm interested to hear if it's a full band or just a threesome.

longtimeeaglesfan
09-24-2017, 12:25 AM
Great show! Lots of stories and his voice is in great shape! Eagles songs included Best of My Love, Heartache Tonight, Sad Cafe, New Kid in Town, and, How Long. He also performed Talking to the Moon. He performed a number of other songs as well including, of course, You're Only Lonely.

It was just him as a strict solo act with acoustic guitar and occasionally he played piano. Very funny and personable. Very glad I went!

FreyFollower
09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Sounds wonderful, LTEF! I love his voice. And I have always loved acoustic sets from singer-songwriters sharing their stories. They're so raw and intimate, you feel like you really get to know the artist! I'm glad you had a good time!
Were his versions of Eagles' songs very different?

sodascouts
09-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Shoot, I wish I had known you were going! I was all by myself and would have loved the company!

It was indeed a great show. In addition to all those amazing songs of his, he told several interesting stories. Some that might be of particular interest to this group:

He said he and Glenn came up with the name "Longbranch Pennywhistle" in about 30 seconds while stoned. They were going by "John David and Glenn" and had just gotten a drummer who was also named David, and they were hired to play a gig. They needed a band name and couldn't very well do "John David, David, and Glenn." JD was into Mark Twain and liked "Pennywhistle" and Glenn decided that "Longbranch" would be, as JD put it, his "phallic" contribution. LOL. And before they knew it, it was on an album cover.

He said "Heartache Tonight" was written while he and Glenn were walking around a pool smoking and thinking about how so many of those old blues songs were pretty much similar sounding melodies without much of a chorus, and couldn't they write a song like that? So they walked around the pool, snapping their fingers and smoking, thinking up, "Somebody's gonna hurt someone..." etc. They got Don Henley involved, but they still couldn't come up with a chorus, so they called Bob Seger who contributed the "Heartache Tonight" bit and there you have it (although JD joked that he called Don and asked him "How do you feel about four songwriters?" since that was "spreading the dollar a bit thin" but Don agreed lol).

The beautiful song "Last in Love," one of my faves, was also accompanied by a story. JD said that he and Glenn could never remember whether they had written it with him in mind to sing it or with Glenn in mind to sing it but in the end, it was someone else entirely who wound up recording it first - Nicolette Larson in 1978. JD said that relatively recently, Linda Ronstadt had asked him how Nicolette had "scooped" her on that song. JD replied, "In the usual way." Interpret that how you will!

"New Kid in Town" was dedicated to Glenn; he commented that he dedicates the song to Glenn at every show now.

He talked about composing "Talking to the Moon" with Don, saying that Don had brought him the lyrics and he put together several movements of music that he'd been working on to match. Don hadn't been sure that people would be able to relate to it, but JD joked that after seeing the fantastic response it had gotten when performed live, "I guess a lot of people are from small towns in Texas."

The acoustics were great and it was quite an enjoyable show. I definitely recommend it!

shunlvswx
09-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Soda. I wish I had came up there and went with you like we did with Joe's show last year. I was going to Peter Cetera's concert on the coast and then it was my picnic today. So I couldn't head up there. We just don't know when he will come back in our area.

I'm glad you had fun.

longtimeeaglesfan
09-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Great recap Nancy! He is definitely worth seeing for any Eagles fan. Hopefully there will be some other Eagles related shows in the Memphis area soon and we can say hello!

RudieCantFail
10-21-2017, 03:18 AM
Thanks for sharing, Soda! I liked those little stories that you recapped!

Here's a performance he did in July this year for 88.5 FM Los Angeles. I didn't give it a listen yet. I stumbled upon it, since I'm waiting for them to release the pre-Grammy Museum interview that Nic Harcourt did with Buckingham and McVie.

Link:

http://www.885fm.org/listen/archive/?guestid=537&path=livesessions&file=JD_Souther_2017_07_27

Dawn
11-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Yes, great recap Soda thanks so much!

It's odd, I was just watching a couple of videos of JD doing You're Only Lonely and realized this guy is a serious make-me-weak-in-the-knees-babe and I really should go see him in concert if I can.

Not only cute but what a voice. Then and now. jeez, I would have loved to see a duet with the late JJ Cale and JD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcg66aVLLmw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3t3nD-_8zk

My My
11-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the links, Dawn. I'd forgotten what beautiful song this is. I hadn't heard it for quite awhile. Agree about the duet too.

Delilah
11-19-2017, 04:22 PM
This an article from last year that I don’t believe has been posted here (maybe in the Remembering Glenn thread?). The part about the LB album is interesting to me esp. after hearing the songs for the first time on the Eagles SiriusXM station. The part about keeping in touch with old friends is probably familiar to most.

On his first album with Longbranch Pennywhistle

I listen to it now and think, That's not very good. I think (it lacks) the maturity to know what to leave out, and what's the appropriate investment for a song of any particular topic. Jackson Browne said to me once, "It's a big song about a small story," and I knew exactly what he meant. There's a way to invest the (big) stories with more detail and more length. It just sounds immature to me. I'd only been writing for a couple years, and that was the first bunch of even decent songs.

On whether he is still close to the musicians he came up with

I'm very close to (Ronstadt), I'm still very close to Jackson, I talk to him all the time. Don and I keep sending each other the same silly emails we always have. Probably the person I saw the least of the last few years, to my regret, was Glenn. It hit us all very hard that he died. I was his first partner, he was my first songwriting partner and best friend. When we were just babies we did a lot of really crazy stuff for no money, just for anyone who would let us play.

“JD Souther has written everything, for everyone” Chicago Tribune, May 19, 2016 (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-jd-souther-ott-0520-20160516-story.html)

Dawn
01-02-2018, 05:48 PM
JD is on my bucket list MUST SEE LIVE in 2018 along with Justin Hayward. I'm hoping to see both of them in the best intimate venue possible ... LOL dream on Dawn.

shunlvswx
01-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Dawn. I don't know if you're from Memphis, but he was just there in September. I actually didn't know he was going to be there until it was too late because I had tickets to see Peter Cetera the night before.

I think Soda went to see him.

New Kid In Town
01-02-2018, 07:26 PM
I would love to see JD too. My bucket list is expanding.
Good thing I bought one Mega Millions and one Power Ball lottery tickets(jack pots total around 800 million). Now I have about a one in 250 million chance of winning - lol.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 09:44 PM
I would love to see JD too. My bucket list is expanding.
Good thing I bought one Mega Millions and one Power Ball lottery tickets(jack pots total around 800 million). Now I have about a one in 250 million chance of winning - lol.

OH, I hope you get a chance to go NKIT! I think he does a very nice show, he likes smaller intimate venues with good acoustics and seats, where he can talk to the audience sharing stories. From what I gather he still has a great voice and I expect to fall in love the minute he starts singing When You're Only Lonely. (I seriously love that song it's one of my all time favorites by any artist/group.)

peneumbra
01-04-2018, 11:27 PM
J.D. Souther will be playing venues all over the country from January through March. To check on upcoming dates, go to his website at

jdsouther.net

Dawn
01-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Thanks, I have been looking at the different dates and cities for awhile now. Some really cool venues that's for sure and I hope fans who want to see him will each get the chance.

shunlvswx
01-05-2018, 03:24 PM
I would love to see JD in concert. I couldn't see him when he came to Memphis this past September because I had just saw Peter Cetera the night before and I really wasn't going to do another 3 hour trip the following day. I kinda wished I knew he was coming to Memphis a little sooner and I probably would had done both concert.

BerniesSurfboard
02-11-2018, 12:49 PM
I'll be seeing JD tonight in Chicago.

02-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Awesome, BSb. Please come back and let us know all about the show.

Delilah
02-18-2018, 06:02 PM
BerniesSurfboard, how was JD’s show? He’s going to be in my area next month and I’m thinking about going.

Also, JD gets recognized by his alma mater. I thought this quote was cute: "I still have my bumper sticker that says 'I got my start at Amarillo College'.”

”JD Souther named AC distinguished alum, to perform on campus Oct. 26” Panhandle PBS, Oct. 17, 2017 (http://www.panhandlepbs.org/blogs/play-here/jd-souther-named-ac-distinguished-alum-to-perform-on-campus-oct-26/)

11-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Well, Soda and I went to see JD at The City Winery in Nashville on November 6th, which, of course, was Glenn’s birthday. Before the show, we went to the Broadway District for dinner and walked the strip to take in what the locals refer to as ‘Honky-Tonk Central’. I was quite surprised at how packed the place was on a Tuesday night. We had dinner at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville and we both ordered a special drink (I had a Screwdriver and Soda ordered a ‘Last Mango in Paris’) so we could toast Glenn on his birthday.

We then drove to the winery where we had pretty much the best seats in the house. Our table was right at the foot of the stage – we weren’t the center table, but the next table over to the left of center. Once seated, we ordered a dessert and a bottle of wine to share. We looked to see if they had the red wine that we drank with Glenn in Niagara Falls, but it wasn’t on the list so we chose another brand of the same wine. Although, not surprised, I was disappointed they didn’t have ‘our’ wine, but, on the positive side, figured it did save us a lot of $$$$. It turns out that JD’s neighbor’s were seated at our table so we got a few interesting stories from them as we chatted before the show. We learned that there had been a Meet & Greet before the show that we didn’t know about, so we were pretty bummed about that.

The show was very enjoyable – JD mixed some old and new material. He told several ‘Eagles’ stories about Glenn and Don and performed The Best of My Love, New Kid in Town, Heartache Tonight, How Long, and Heart of the Matter. But honestly, I was disappointed that he didn’t do Doolin-Dalton and The Sad Cafe. One of the highlights for me was that he brought out a young male quartet of singers to help him with the harmonies on How Long. I can’t remember their name, but their faces were all beaming with excitement at the thrill of being there. He did my favorite solo songs – You’re Only Lonely, Faithless Love, and Black Rose. But, I have to admit that we were very disappointed that he didn’t mention Glenn’s birthday. Towards the end of the show, I was looking for an opportunity to get his attention so I could subtly remind him about it, but he doesn’t really make eye contact when performing and I didn’t want to shout at him. The other big disappointment was that Soda says he normally signs autographs after the show, but he didn’t do that on this night, probably because of the aforementioned Meet & Greet.

But, in spite of some personal disappointments, overall I enjoyed myself and am glad I made the trip. Besides, it’s always fun to visit my family and get together with Soda. So on the way walking to the car, I sang my own personal birthday song to Glenn. Soda dropped me off at my aunt’s house and I felt a tinge of guilt as I hugged her goodbye knowing what a brutal trip home she had ahead of her and that her workday was to begin at 7:30 a.m. the next morning. My next day was pretty brutal too as I made the 10-hour drive home, but, at least, I got a few hours of shut-eye before leaving Nashville.

longtimeeaglesfan
11-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Glad you had fun at his show. We saw JD here in Memphis a year ago and really enjoyed set and stories. We really like the City Winery venue in Nashville. We had a M&G with Don Felder there a few years ago and we also saw Timothy perform there on another occasion as well. Very intimate setting and we have always been lucky with who we end up sitting.

More recently, we were in Nashville for the Pilgrimage Festival (which got rained out and cancelled)this past September, but coincidentally received an email from City Winery offering free tickets to see Debby Boone. Since we had no other musical plans, we took an Uber from the rained out festival to make it to the winery in time to see her. Needless to say we were dressed for a rainy music festival so we felt a little out of place when we found out our seats were front and center! We were seated with an Italian family from New Jersey (think Sopranos) that were dressed to the nines but they were very friendly and laughed when we told them we were Pilgrimage Festival refugees. That concert was very entertaining and we got to meet Debby Boone in the entryway after the show and get a picture with her and an autographed CD.

I really enjoy getting out in downtown Nashville - I remember one of the bands playing at Margaritaville one time playing Take it Easy while we were there eating. It is really hopping down on Broadway any day of the week!!
Sorry to get off topic!

Brooke
11-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Glad to hear about both of your shows! Thanks for sharing!

I would like to see JD, for sure!

My My
11-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Glad you and Soda had a great evening celebrating Glenn, Dreamer. It sounds like a good show. I love "You're Only Lonely." I also love his duet with James Taylor on "Her Town Too." I saw him in 1976 opening for the Eagles, but I'm sure I was impatiently waiting for him to finish his set. I could appreciate him much more now! I wouldn't be too disappointed that he didn't mention Glenn's birthday. I don't think remembering friends' birthdays is a top priority in any of my guys lives!

11-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Cute story, ltef. And MyMy - I wasn't shocked that JD didn't mention Glenn's birthday, but I was really hoping he would since it would have been his 70th. I wish I could have got his attention so I could've given him a 'reminder'.

sodascouts
11-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Just now getting my internet connection back and home. Disgusting how often it goes out now. The apartment manager says we're getting a new provider... when??

Anyway, I too was a bit disappointed not just that he didn't mention Glenn's birthday, but that he didn't talk about Glenn nearly as much as he did in Memphis. The Memphis show was a very different vibe. He played rarer songs and he talked a lot more. Maybe it was because he was bit "off" vocally in Memphis and he was trying to make up for it. I was sad for Dreamer's sake he wasn't singing autographs but I guess if they made people pay for it before the show, it would tick them off if he gave them away after the show. I'm thinking the VIP thing must have been for Winery members, though, because there was no mention of it on the site.

JD's voice was strong and the show was good, though. Glad to see him still truckin' after all this time.

As for me, though... I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home and swerved onto the other side of the road. Thank God there was no other cars on the road so no one was hurt; it was a small county road, not a highway. Still, I think I might chill on the 12:00-4:00 am drives.

Brooke
11-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Oh my gosh, Soda, I'm so glad you weren't hurt! Please be careful! (Did you tell your Mom? I bet not!)

FreyFollower
11-14-2018, 06:14 PM
As for me, though... I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home and swerved onto the other side of the road. Thank God there was no other cars on the road so no one was hurt; it was a small county road, not a highway. Still, I think I might chill on the 12:00-4:00 am drives.

Thank God you are okay! A friend of mine did that just a couple of days ago. She banged herself up and totaled her car. She drove across the road and spun into a ditch. I hope you weren't injured and your car is not messed up.

I told her she should listen to rap or something equally irritating to help keep her from going to sleep! I'm glad you enjoyed the show, anyway. Take care, now!

sodascouts
11-14-2018, 06:31 PM
I did not tell my mom! lol! I did pull into a church parking lot and take a nap!

Brooke
11-15-2018, 02:36 PM
I did not tell my mom! lol! I did pull into a church parking lot and take a nap!

Just like a kid! :lol:

I am glad you stopped and took a nap though!

Delilah
08-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Here’s a cool interview with J.D. from last month. The poor guy apparently had a broken hand at the time. He describes some of the songwriting process with Glenn and Don H.

Writing songs in that group was not exactly a love circle. A bad idea was met with stony silence. For a pretty good idea, somebody might go, “All right”. For a very good idea, Frey might say, “I think we could use that”. And even with an excellent idea, Don just mostly made faces and offered corrections. He’s such a literate guy and he’s so precise about language. But Glen, we used to call him Greg-a-rious because he was so outgoing about everything, and so demonstrative. But if it was a really good idea, then he’d do this peace sign with both hands. But when we all wrote together there would be hours of this difficult back and forth. Someone would put forth a line, and the other two guys, silence, or maybe “Hmm,” which basically meant, you’re an asshole, don’t bring that up again.

https://thecreativeindependent.com/people/songwriter-jd-souther-on-songwriting-poetry-and-making-space-for-something-new/

sodascouts
08-19-2019, 10:18 PM
Here’s a cool interview with J.D. from last month. The poor guy apparently had a broken hand at the time. He describes some of the songwriting process with Glenn and Don H.

https://thecreativeindependent.com/people/songwriter-jd-souther-on-songwriting-poetry-and-making-space-for-something-new/

Wow. How brutal!

My My
08-19-2019, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the link, Delilah. What a cool interview! Besides the part about writing that you quoted, I also liked what he had to say about most of his songs being made famous by others.

People would occasionally say to me, "Doesn't it piss you off that the Eagles have these big hits off your songs?" I would usually start saying, "Would you like to see the checks?"

FreyFollower
08-20-2019, 02:56 AM
Thanks Delilah! Interesting read! As Soda said, "brutal"! After so many onslaughts on your ideas, it would seem difficult not to take their comments personally. Tough crowd! No wonder their total output of songs was relatively small. You could handle only so much of that, I would think!

New Kid In Town
08-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Well, I that the same thing about how brutal their process was.
Thanks for posting the interview Delilah. It was a great read.
BTW, the nosy part of me wonders how he broke his hand and where he is moving to-lol.

Pippinwhite
08-20-2019, 11:06 AM
And that's how they treated the songwriters they LIKED! :woah:

08-20-2019, 11:17 AM
That was a fantastic and insightful interview. I really enjoyed it.

As far as the Eagles songwriting process being brutal, I'm not surprised - it definitely wasn't for the thin-skinned. However, he goes on to say the following in the interview ...

While looking at these things, I am reminded that there is great value in revision. It’s a hard lesson for me to learn because I hate going back and reworking things over and over again, but the fact is that the most successful songs I ever wrote, the ones that were the biggest hits and the most financially successful, were pretty much all songs that we chewed on for months—taking lines out, putting them back, improving this, changing that. I think it’s like making a quilt or something. You just don’t cover all the territory until you’ve put in the time.

So, although he may not have always enjoyed the process, he acknowledges the importance it played in terms of his success.

sodascouts
08-21-2019, 11:27 PM
True. I guess, in the end, it was worth the pain!

shunlvswx
10-24-2019, 10:59 PM
I had just got an alert in my email that JD will be in my state this Sunday.

i wish I can go. I don’t have any money at this moment. If I knew he was going to be here, I would had saved.

sodascouts
10-25-2019, 01:12 AM
I'd like to go, too, but that's WAY down south. Many hours' drive for me!

shunlvswx
10-25-2019, 08:35 AM
It’s 3 hours for me. I don’t usually go to Pascagoula. I always go to Biloxi and Gulfport for concerts. I couldn’t stay since I have to go to work the next day. I would had to drive back after the show.

The tickets are cheap. $45, but I would need that and gas money. If he had came next week, I probably would had gone. I get paid next week.

sodascouts
03-05-2020, 11:06 PM
I just found out that JD is playing Tupelo on the Saturday after next! March 14! It's right after my parents leave. I'm going!

shunlvswx
03-06-2020, 01:53 AM
I just saw that on Facebook. I was coming on here to tell you. I might go. I hope their are still some tickets left next week when I buy it.

New Kid In Town
03-07-2020, 12:29 PM
I just found out that JD is playing Tupelo on the Saturday after next! March 14! It's right after my parents leave. I'm going!

Wow - Lucky you Soda. I have always wanted to see JD. You will have to give us one of your amazing reviews ! :yay:

03-07-2020, 12:54 PM
Wow! Very cool, Soda that JD will be playing right in your back yard. Maybe you could invite him to your place for dinner before the show or for a nightcap after. :wink: :grin: :twisted:

shunlvswx
03-07-2020, 04:34 PM
I'm going too. So i will get to see Soda again. I haven't seen her since we saw Joe in Memphis in 2016. I just never had the chance to drive up to North Mississippi.

I missed JD when he came in October of last year. I'm not going to miss this time.

KingWalsh
03-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Very Lucky! Have a great time. Would love to see JD!

03-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Good for you, shun. JD's shows are very laid back, but I really enjoyed seeing him. You'll get a real appreciation for his talent.

Brooke
03-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Oh wow! Have a great time Soda and Shun!

sodascouts
03-11-2020, 10:36 AM
The crazy thing is how completely clueless I was about it. It's rather an ordeal to get up to Nashville to see JD because it's a heck of a drive (about 4 hours) and if you don't stay overnight - which I typically don't - that's 8 hours in one shot. The last time I went, I nearly fell asleep at the wheel on the way back. I decided to wait until he played Memphis to see him again, never even thinking he might play Tupelo. Then, I signed on to Facebook a few days ago - which lately I only do maybe once a week - and I get a notification about this!!! Well, for once, those things actually served a purpose, lol.

Really looking forward to seeing the show and meeting up with shun. I think tickets will probably still be available. It's general admission for two price levels, and I bought the upper level which still had seats available. That means I can still sit front and center if I'm early enough, lucky me!

I drop off my parents (who are currently visiting) earlier in the day, so I'm going to be rushing from Memphis to Tupelo to line up. Wish me luck!

shunlvswx
03-11-2020, 11:32 AM
At least Memphis is not that far from you, Soda. Be careful in Memphis.

Same here. You beat me to the punch. LOL

I didn't know see that notification about JD being in Mississippi again, I would had missed it again like I did when he came to Pascagoula in October. I never thought he would even come to Mississippi. Just like Don Felder came to Mississippi, but I never thought in a million years he would come. Artists just don't like coming to Mississippi. For me, I would have to go to Memphis, Birmingham, Shreveport, New Orleans(which that's where artists go all the time) or Mississippi gulf coast to go to any concert. They are all a 3 hour drive for me. I have done the 3 drive hour to and from and it is hard.

I need to make sure I have JD on notification especially when he's in Mississippi.

I have two concerts I have to pay for on Friday. JD's and I found out on Friday(the same day I found out about JD's concert) that Marie Osmond is coming back to Mississippi. Thank goodness for getting paid on Friday and she still have a lot of tickets.

shunlvswx
03-13-2020, 12:27 AM
I just read on the Facebook page where JD was performing this Saturday is postponed and rescheduled for August 15th. Fingers crossed I'll be able to go on that date, but I probably will be going.

I won't be able to see Soda, but once everything calm down, I probably will see her then.

03-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Well - I'm not surprised, but it is disappointing for sure. I know we will all be glad when normalcy returns to our lives, but, as we always say 'better safe than sorry'.

shunlvswx
03-13-2020, 05:47 PM
I agree. Better safe than sorry.

I wasn't disappointed. I'm glad I didn't buy my ticket. I'm not surprised. I was more surprised it took so long. The festival that JD was going to play is still going to happen. With 4 cases now in our state, they should had cancelled.

I'm looking forward to the new date in August. Hopefully everything will be calmed down by August.