PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening in Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

glenneaglesfan
04-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Peekaboo, that's great news about your cousin moving to Dallas, and a great excuse for visiting Don country. I'm so out of touch these days I hadn't realised Don was planning some solo shows. Is that Lou that I know as Troubador going with? If so, how exciting for both of you! I can say from experience that meeting with Border friends has been wonderful, especially the chance to share our Eagle fanaticism!

DF, your daughter's prom sounds lovely, and that photoshoot should leave lasting memories. Over here, proms have only come in fairly recently. My older son couldn't be bothered with them. My younger son had to be returned early by taxi after being found with some hookey vodka in his pocket. Thank goodness they are a bit older now.

Willie, I had to laugh when I read about your son trying to sting you for a hotel room! Hope he has sorted out his date without too much heartbreak.

Lisa (GA), I'm so sad to hear about that murder. It must have left you cold when you found out that the accused was someone you had taught, and that he had some good qualities. I'm thinking of you, and thanks for the birthday text!!

My life continues to be interesting. Both sons are in Asia now, and last night actually met up, only to have their wallets stolen. Luckily most of their travellers cheques and cards were in other places, but we had a plaintive phone call from Phil last night asking to cancel his debit card. Thank goodness for mobile phones and emails. D and I have signed up to Facebook to get their photos. The boys are cringing but we have vowed not to read all their friends' comments!

Last weekend saw a crisis with my mother. Not only were the phone calls coming several times a day, but the neighbours were also ringing to say they were worried. Mum was wandering to random houses in the neighbourhood looking for us and saying she had no food. My sister and I took the decision to book Mum in for a "holiday" in a "residential hotel", and just got her in the car on Monday and delivered her there. I'm pleased to say that after two days, she is fairly happy, and has already been on a minibus outing to her beloved Dartmoor, so she was full of it tonight and didn't even ask when she was going home.

Just a quick update on my health - I went for a treadmill test last week and am pleased to report that it was ok. My blood pressure is coming down and I'm confident I'll be feeling a lot better soon. I miss coming here so much, but as you can gather I've got a "Big Life" at the moment!

Molly
04-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Nice to hear from you again, Kate and glad that you're feeling better.

That's a shame about the boys wallets. Hopefully, they'll still manage to make the most out of their travels.

You've taken the hardest step with your mom. As she gets into a routine, she will hopefully benefit from it, and as happened with my mom, you'll even see some improvement in her day to day congnition.

sodascouts
04-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the update, Kate. It must be so difficult with your mother, but I'm glad that she seems to be adjusting well. Such a hard decision to make, though.

The boys are still in Asia? When are they coming home? Terrible about the wallets! My parents have been robbed a couple times overseas as well and it's a frightening thing. I'm glad they didn't lose all their stuff, though.

Finally, I'm so happy to hear your health is improving. We've been worried about you. Make sure you take it easy, now! ;)

melrose
04-23-2009, 08:46 PM
The past couple of days I have been traveling with my brother and SIL to visit family throughout the state. We stayed at our cousin's house last night and around 3 AM we heard some horrible noises and went outside to look. A Yukon truck had spun out of control and flipped through the yard, landing almost directly in front of the front door. The driver was ejected from the vehicle and was lying a few feet away. He was rushed to the hospital and, thankfully, is going to be okay. This was quite the scare. The officers said if the truck hadn't flipped over, it would have crashed through the living room :pray:

Here are just a few photos:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/front1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/front2-1.jpg
It is amazing how close it came to hitting the house!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/CablePull.jpg

ticky
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
HOLEY CRAP MEL! How scary was that??? I am so glad you and everyone else is all right! and the driver, thank goodness! Talk about rude awakenings!

we had a guy drive through our back fence a few years ago while I was sitting in the living room and saw the whole thing! but he never flipped and just backed out and drove away. They caught him. He was drunk and uninsured but he left his license plate in our back yard LOL

Hope the rest of your travels are somewhat LESS eventful! *G*

Koala
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
WOW, how terribly!
I am glad to hear everyone else is all right!

Peekaboo
04-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh no, Mel!! Thank goodness everybody is okay, including the driver.

TimothyBFan
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
How scary Melissa!!! A trip to remember for sure!

Brooke
04-24-2009, 10:47 AM
OMG, Mr! Those pictures are unbelievable! Thank goodness everyone is ok!

TimothyBFan
04-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Just heard from our friend Jason (see page 92 of this thread) he just landed in
Leipzig, Germany for a couple hours and then onto Krygyzstan. He's complaining about the European keyboard he is using at the airport! He thinks he's got it bad now.... I talked to his wife a few minutes ago also and she is doing ok, says it's a relief to have it started now. My heart breaks for her and I hope for her sake that this year goes by with lightening speed and he is home safe with her and their 3 kids soon!!

sodascouts
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Dang melrose - those photos - woah! You know I just heard on the news a few days ago about a couple high on speed who crashed through someone's kitchen, severely injuring both parents (luckily, their young child escaped unharmed). Brings home how cars can really be weapons. Thank goodness you're OK!

Wille - here's hoping the time flies for them.

Glennsallnighter
04-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Great to hear from you again Kate. I know time is precious for you. I'm gladl to hear that the boys managed to meet up. Pity about their wallets though. I too think you made the right decision wrt your mom. I know it was difficult but sounds like she is settling in ok and is probably safer, particularly the times you or your sister cannot be with her.

Wow Mel! Some pics. I'm glad none of you were injured.

Willie, I hope the year goes fast for Jason and his family as well. It cannot be easy for them. BTW, whats wrong with a 'European Keyboard'? :headscratch:

And to everyone, thanks for the ongoing support as regards my student whom I will simply refer to as D for the moment.

melrose
04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for everyone's kind words. It amazes me that we were so lucky! I can't imagine the wreckage if it hadn't flipped and not only that, but the path of the vehicle would have put it right in to the kids' rooms. Thank heaven it stopped. And I have yet to hear if any drugs or alcohol were involved but I can only hope not. What's even crazier is there were a group of teenage girls walking their dogs 5 houses down (at 3AM???) they were very lucky to not have been closer.

Willie, I pray for your friend and his wife during their trying times...I hope the year goes by quickly for them and their children.

Koala
04-25-2009, 05:42 AM
BTW, whats wrong with a 'European Keyboard'? :headscratch:

On the German keyboard some letters are differently arranged like with an English one.

Molly
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Our sweet gentle 3 year old labrador, Layla has had signs of flu since yesterday. This morning, she seemed listless and had no appetite so we decided to take her to the emergency vet clinic. We almost didn't take her in, but both Steve and I had this "feeling" that even though she didn't seem particularly ill -something was very wrong.

We were shocked when the doctor told us she was in acute kidney failure. Her initial labs are indicating a chronic kidney and/or blood condition. It also seems her Lyme titer is very high so we're fearing kidney damage from Lyme's disease.

I'm just floored. Our dogs are up to date on all the preventative measures including tick prevention and Layla is in top health-she hasn't given us one single worry the entire time we've had her.

We've left her at the hospital today, and are waiting for more lab results due back tomorrow -but so far, every bit of news we've gotten has been bad news.

This is especially tough as we've lost 2 elderly labs in the past 24 months. The thought of going thru this again so soon is completely gutwrenching.:weep:

sodascouts
04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh no, how horrible - and so soon after the other ones have gone! I know it may sound silly to some, but I'm going to pray for Layla. A beloved pet is like family.

eaglesvet
04-27-2009, 02:26 AM
So sorry, Molly. Do you live in a state with a high incidence of Lyme Disease? Because Lyme-induced kidney disease is pretty rare...I've only seen it literally a handful of times in over 20 years of practice, and that has been in some of the highest-incidence areas of Lyme in the country (southeast Mass. coast and here in the Jersey woods.) That being said, if Lyme is going to damage the kidneys, it's most likely to happen in a Lab...they are definitely a predisposed breed. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to discuss the results of Layla's findings.

Koala
04-27-2009, 03:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear that, how horrible!
This is really sad.
I donīt have an own dog but my neighbours has three,
a few years ago is another dog from them had gone, it was very sad, because the dog was every day with me!

Glennsallnighter
04-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Awww. Molly, thats terrible news. I too will pray for your beloved pet. I hope ahe comes through this. :hug:

TimothyBFan
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Molly--I am so very sorry!!! Hope everything works out ok for her!!

DonFan
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Molly, I am so sorry to hear about Layla. I hope you get some better news today.

Molly
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to Layla last night. We're all quite stunned.

Thank you EV for the kind offer. I have a medical background and a lot of what happened to Layla translated over from what I know about humans -so I was able to understand and make what I hope were good and humane decisions as the test results came in and with lots of contact all day with our vet. But, I certainly appreciate the offer.

We don't really have a concrete diagnosis, just the elevated lyme titer and the attack on the kidneys, and the history of finding a deer tick on her last year. We don't live in a high tick concentrated area, but we had a load of wood delivered last summer (who knows exactly where the wood came from) and we think that's where Layla picked up the tick.
Our vet was surprised at how unlikely this whole scenario is and yet all signs pointed to Lyme's being the culprit. It sounds like were were just incredibly unlucky since Lyme's nephritis is very uncommon in the area.

No matter the root cause, she's gone.

She came to us a stray 2 years ago, and she was just a joy! We're blessed that she chose us to be her family, and know that she'll stay our beautiful shy girl forever!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/LaylaBayla.jpg

ticky
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Im so sorry Molly, She was a beautiful girl. I know you'll miss her.

TimothyBFan
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Molly-my deepest sympathy to you and your family for the loss of your beloved Layla.

DonFan
04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
You have my sympathy, Molly. Pets are so special--they definitely leave a paw-print on your heart!

Prettymaid
04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Molly, I'm so sorry about the loss of Layla. It's so difficult to lose a beloved pet. May you gain strength in the happy memories of her life with your family.

anne-o-gg
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Molly, I am So sorry to hear this...she was a beautiful dog!!

Troubadour
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry, Molly. What a beautiful dog she was. Sounds like she was much-loved.

Brooke
04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh Molly, I'm so so sorry about Layla. She was a beautiful girl and I remember your sweet story about finding her a couple years ago. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

sodascouts
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
How awful - and on your birthday too. I know that you gave Layla a wonderful life in your loving home - and I know she gave all that love right back. I'm thinking of you and your family in this difficult time.

Freypower
04-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I know how you feel, Molly, as we lost our Cal at the end of last year. I remember the story of how you found her too. She will stay in your hearts.

Glennsallnighter
04-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Molly! I'm terribly sorry that you had to do this, and on your birthday as well. She will always live in your hearts. At least you can be proud that you always did what was best for her right up to the end. :hug:

Molly
04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks you all, again for the kind words. It's been a really sad couple of days. I'm just really grateful for the 2 years we had with her and grateful that she didn't have to suffer long.

Poor, Zoe, she's lost without her snuggle and wrestling buddy. She's grieving just like we are.

Stars
04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Molly, I was so sorry to hear about Layla. It sounds like she was very well loved, and she loved you too. We lost our precious Montana kitty, after my husband rescued her from a bus engine on a cold January day. We only had her for two years, but we feel so blessed that she was a part of our lives.
May your happy memories of Layla remain with you always, and may she rest in peace.

tbs fanatic
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear about Layla. How sad.

eaglesvet
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
My sympathies are with you and the rest of your family, Molly. Renal disease can be so rapidly debilitating, and it seems she really went downhill quickly. It's unfortunate she was so young, but you made the best decision to spare her needless suffering. She will join your other two dogs who have been waiting for her in heaven.

sodascouts
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Renal failure is what took my cat Oreo back in 2004, at the age of 20. I'd had him since I was 9. While I guess it was time for him, it was very hard to say goodbye to a kitty that had been a part of my life from elementary school until graduate school. Of course, with Layla, she was so young and apparently healthy... tragic.

Molly
04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Nancy, that must have been tough losing a cat you had practically your entire life. I imagine you could hardly remember a time pre-Oreo.

Right now I think I just don't want to bring another dog into the house for a while. I'm kind of worn down emotionally, I guess. Let's see if I can manage to stick to what I just said. Steve and the boys would be rolling their eyes if they read what I just typed.

Check back with me in a week. I'll bet I'm on the shelter websites by then. If I go in person to the shelter, I'm toast. I'm such a soft touch, and there are soooo many animals in need.

I get that from my Dad. We lived on a farm and everyone knew if you wanted to get rid of your cat or dog...just give it to Earl. He'd take it home.

TimothyBFan
04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Nancy, that must have been tough losing a cat you had practically your entire life. I imagine you could hardly remember a time pre-Oreo.

Right now I think I just don't want to bring another dog into the house for a while. I'm kind of worn down emotionally, I guess. Let's see if I can manage to stick to what I just said. Steve and the boys would be rolling their eyes if they read what I just typed.

Check back with me in a week. I'll bet I'm on the shelter websites by then. If I go in person to the shelter, I'm toast. I'm such a soft touch, and there are soooo many animals in need.

I get that from my Dad. We lived on a farm and everyone knew if you wanted to get rid of your cat or dog...just give it to Earl. He'd take it home.

Molly I could of wrote what you just did about me. That last paragraph was my family. We actually watched a couple of cars at separate times drop dogs off in front of our home or in the field next to us.

My father actually told my husband before we were married, and I quote, "to love my daughter is to love every critter she will bring home, and she WILL bring them home often". And I have and hubby still loves me. :)

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Molly, whichever you choose don't feel guilty if you change your mind. In these matters you have to go with your heart.

Molly
04-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Molly I could of wrote what you just did about me. That last paragraph was my family. We actually watched a couple of cars at separate times drop dogs off in front of our home or in the field next to us.

My father actually told my husband before we were married, and I quote, "to love my daughter is to love every critter she will bring home, and she WILL bring them home often". And I have and hubby still loves me. :)

I can remember on two occasions when my Dad went to the "town dump" /landfill and brought home a box of kittens that some one had thrown away like garbage. Not once -but twice!

Even Layla, we think was "discarded" before she was caught and taken to the shelter. I'll never believe that she ran away from her previous home.:angel:

I once tried to sneak a stray dog home that I found in Texas while we were visiting my sister. Not sure how I thought I could keep a dog quiet in the backseat of a car from Texas to Wisconsin. :hilarious:

Oh, and my dad let me keep it!

Peekaboo
04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Molly, I'm so sorry about Layla. I've mentioned on here before that I don't always have the right words to say during times like this but I do try. I'm sure that Layla is right up there in Dog Heaven with my dog, Chester. I haven't had a dog since Chester when I was 13. I've always thought about getting another dog but right now i'm in an apartment that does not allow pets.

glenneaglesfan
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh Molly, I'm so sad to hear about Layla. You have lost three beautiful dogs since I have known you, and Layla was far too young. Even though I'm not around here much, I often think of my friends here, and you, Steve and the boys will be in my thoughts. Give Zoe a big hug from me.

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2009, 05:50 PM
We think of you too Kate! Its great to hear from you when you DO manage to pop in. :thumbsup:

ticky
05-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Tomorrow we're going on an annual event for us, Free comic Book Day. Cliff collects comic books and this is a pretty big deal for us. We hit at least 7 or 8 stores in Portland and the Portland area. It's nation wide so everyone can participate if you have any interest. Every comic book store in the nation will offer certain comic books for free. Some limit how many you can have, some dont and some have authors and artists there to sign the books. I urge you to all run out to your local comic book store and pick up your free books! The Indy books are kind of fun (my favorite is Too Much Coffee Man... he rocks!)
Hope ya'll have a great Free Comic Book Day!

Molly
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh Molly, I'm so sad to hear about Layla. You have lost three beautiful dogs since I have known you, and Layla was far too young. Even though I'm not around here much, I often think of my friends here, and you, Steve and the boys will be in my thoughts. Give Zoe a big hug from me.

Thank you Kate and Jess.

I know, it's incredible when I think how quickly our time passed with Layla. We thought we'd have her with us another 10 years or so!

Zoe is getting lots of extra hugs this week. Steve was in DC for 3 days so I (probably foolishly) let Zoe sleep on my bed with me. Well, she slept (she snores!) -I didn't get much sleep. She's back in her own bed now where she belongs!

Kate, I think of you and your family often, as well -leading a parallel life to ours sometimes it seems!

EagleLady
05-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I've still not heard anything from my dental insurance about coverage to get my four bad teeth extracted. :brickwall:

melrose
05-04-2009, 01:44 AM
The biggest reminder that Spring is here is when the Chimney Swifts arrive. I'm not sure if they are well known or not, but I've had many encounters with them. They migrate from Peru to the Eastern Coast of the United States, and each year I usually get one nesting pair and a handful of singles. They make their nest on the chimney wall, and will stay until late October or early November. Almost every year a baby or two will fall down to the fireplace. It is then a matter of trying to get it back up above the damper or taking it to the bird sanctuary. Needless to say, this is usually a common sight during Spring and Summer
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/firmatconion/swift.jpg

The cats love it when the adult swifts get loose in the house. Luckily they wouldn't know what to do with one of them if they could even catch it :pray:

TimothyBFan
05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Melissa--your post scared me for a minute-at first glance I thought they were bats and I HATE them things!! It sounds like a bat also!

Rhonda---I hope you got some goodies on Saturday on your comic book store journey! Cool. That's something none of us are into but Larry has a friend that collects them and has given up to over a $1000.00 for some before. Calls it his retirement plan. Claims they will be worth 20x that in 10 to 20 years. He has never been married and has no kids so I guess he justifies the money but WOW--sounds like a lot for a comic book.

tbs fanatic
05-04-2009, 10:44 AM
It's Senior Prom week and 'Senior Son' is in complete overdrive. He'll be lucky if I haven't knocked him out by the time the big night arrives :fight: Beam me up Scotty!

DonFan
05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Good luck with that, TBSF. I went through the prom jitters with my daughter three weeks ago.
Melrose, I have never seen chimney swifts before!

TimothyBFan
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
tbsf--counting my blessings that I dodged the bullet on this one also for my kids. My son and a whole group of friends went out to eat and hang out instead of going to the prom and were home BEFORE midnight (which is really rare on a Saturday night) and my sophomore daughter, when asked about it, looked at us as if we were from Mars or something. I knew that a certain senior had been interested but I don't know if he ever asked or if he did, she may have shot him down. Her reply to us was that she isn't going to any more school dances! OK by me!! :thumbsup:

Our school's prom was this past Saturday. Larry and I were having lunch at a little cafe next to the local florist in town sitting outside on the patio in front. We watched as SEVERAL parents went in and out of there picking up corsages (it's a small town so we recognized many of them and heard the complaints as they stopped by our table to tell us that they were spending an average of $20.00 a piece). My question to my husband was why are the parents picking them up? Where were the young men that would be giving them to their dates that night? Just wondering.

The graduation invitations went into the mail this morning! Geez!!! I still can't believe that. How you guys feeling tbsf and ticky? Hanging in there with this?

ticky
05-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Graduation is a big deal here in that it's happening!!! but I doubt it'll be as big a deal as Jenni is hoping. We just cant afford to much wingding. My parents are getting her a laptop for graduation and I ordered a couple of books signed to her from her favorite author for her grad pres. but she's opted out for any organized grad party and if we do anything, it'll be a small family thing.

We went to see her campus this weekend. It's a small private school in the middle of an awful part of Portland, Concordia University, but its a good school and a nice compact campus. Although now she's talking about transferring after a year *Sigh* well we'll see. I was kind of hoping she'd transfer to Portland State, which is where she's talking about going now. Either way, she's dedicated to a year at Concordia at least and both schools are close so Im happy.

I doubt she'll be going to Prom, she hasnt made any plans about it, but you never know

tbs fanatic
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Graduation is May 24 for us. I don't think we will be having any big wingding. We don't have any family close by. Just be us and some friends - which is probably how he will like it anyway. To be honest I cannot believe 'Senior Son' has even arrived at this point - lol. I will finally relax when he has that diploma in his hand.

On a sadder note - I am shocked at several of my guy's friends 'dropping out' of high school???? Even a couple who I was sure would graduate. I'm just glad my guy didn't decide to follow in their footsteps :pray:. One was his best friend who has been out of school for months now - no job, no money, no prospects. I think my guy has been shocked by how 'nothing' his friends life has become and that has kept him in line. If nothing else it has been a big slap of reality. It's a sad situation though.

EagleLady
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
My cat Abby is beginning to make a habit out of climbing on top of stuff, Shelves, drawers, computer desks. It's beginning to piss us off and she knocked my jewelry box over :brickwall:

ticky
05-05-2009, 06:48 PM
On a sadder note - I am shocked at several of my guy's friends 'dropping out' of high school???? Even a couple who I was sure would graduate. I'm just glad my guy didn't decide to follow in their footsteps :pray:. One was his best friend who has been out of school for months now - no job, no money, no prospects. I think my guy has been shocked by how 'nothing' his friends life has become and that has kept him in line. If nothing else it has been a big slap of reality. It's a sad situation though.

One of Jenni's best friends dropped out of school as well, but she then took her GED test and passed with flying colors. She will be going to college in the fall. Some people just were not meant for high school. I also, however, know of another young man she's been in school with for years who dropped out and sits at home getting high and doing nothing. I imagine in 20 years he'll be in exactly the same place.

My cat Abby is beginning to make a habit out of climbing on top of stuff, Shelves, drawers, computer desks. It's beginning to piss us off and she knocked my jewelry box over

El, there is a product on the market, a spray, called NO! you just spray a little on a piece of paper and put it where you do NOT want the cat to go. They dont like the smell of it so they stay away. Just be sure not to over spray the paper because people dont like the smell much either!

EagleLady
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I'll have to check into that, Thanks Rhonda.

TimothyBFan
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know how many of you (or this may be just a regional thing in my area?) but do any of you, or know someone who does, hunt mushrooms? Like morels this time of year? We enjoy hunting them (getting in touch with nature and all). I mostly walk around with my dog and just enjoy the spring weather finally. I only found 1 this year again, just like last year. We look forward to it every year at this time of the year. I'm so proud of my son---he just came in with his first bunch ever. We had a bunch in the frig that we were waiting for him to get back and partake in them with us so hubby has added his and is ready to start cooking them. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

ticky
05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I've always wanted to do that Willie!! but we're so paranoid about finding the right kind!! I grew Shitake's one year and I had what I am SURE was a morrel in the front yard but not being absolutely sure, I didnt want to even try. We have a friend who's a mushroom guy and the area up by the cabin he says is perfect for Oregon Truffles!! they sell for like 400$ a lb if you can find em! We'll see what we come up with. I'd just like to try them. Do you hunt Morrels exclusively? I'd love to try it sometime.

TimothyBFan
05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Ticky--there are a couple others that we get and eat also, one everyone calls "chicken necks", don't know what they are really called. All of them are good but the morels, of course, are the best. You can also buy them around here, don't know how much they are going for this year but last year it was around $35.00 a lb. A friend of my brothers found about 60 lbs of them last year and gave some away, kept some and then sold about 50 lbs to a couple local markets for resale. He ended up making about $800.00. Not bad for an afternoon walk.

$400.00 a lb for Oregon Truffles??? WOW! Wouldn't you love to find a batch of those somewhere. Need to get yourself a book and start hunting! They even hold camps around the Midwest. I've known people who do this and they are guaranteed to find some that way.

tbs fanatic
05-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a friend who said she was going 'Morel Hunting' the other weekend. On a scarier note I also have a friend who went 'Morel Hunting' and picked the wrong type - he and his girlfriend almost died after eating them (I forget what they did pick)!!! I do not know enough about them to safely do that.

Brooke
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Mushroom hunting (morels) is very common around here. One year my son and a friend found 2- 5 gallon bucketfuls! My husband found a small batch last week and they were wonderful. They seem to be rather scarce this year for some reason. No one is finding any huge amounts like usual. They are thinking it has been too cold at night.

Last year we had several batches of them. I even found a few. I usually can't see them for some reason. It helps me if they are at least 2 feet tall! :wink:

I love to eat them, but the mess of cooking them is a pain!

Ticky, I've never heard of Oregon Truffles. Are they like morels?

melrose
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Mushroom hunting :eyebrow: I've never heard of that before. Maybe I've been living under a rock :shrug:

Brooke
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
You can see and read all about Missouri mushrooms here:

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mushrooms/morels/

Delectable!

ticky
05-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Oregon Truffles are just like French Truffles but they grow in Oregon *G* there are white and black and they grow in duffy pine and fir areas where there's a lot of duff built up under the trees and mostly where it's pretty dry. There's an area up above the bunk house at the cabin that's on a hill and covered in pines and firs with very heavy duff! We're going to look when we go up in a few weeks.

Oregon Truffles (http://www.trufflezone.com/oregon_truffles.htm)

Prettymaid
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Although mushroom hunting is popular in my area of Central Illinois, I have never done it, probably for these reasons:

a) I only started eating mushrooms a couple of years ago, and
2) I'm not an outdoorsy kind of gal!

Troubadour
05-06-2009, 08:38 PM
And I've heard they move pretty quick...

TimothyBFan
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Lou :hilarious:
One day when Larry and I were in the woods hunting them my son called my cell. I answered it whispering and asked why I was whispering and I told him because I saw one and didn't want to scare it away. It took him a minute and then of course I got the "Oh Mom!!!"

Brooke I'm like you, I don't usually see them and wouldn't it be nice to actually find about a dozen or so that truly were 2 feet tall!!!! Yeah baby!!

tbs fanatic
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Okay, I have a family scandal unfolding I dare anyone to beat - lol. It revolves around my stepmother (who is now in her 80's and a little out of touch). Some 'mystery people' have contacted my eldest brother and are claiming that they are our stepmothers biological children - ALL SEVEN OF THEM!!! and that she was married once before she married our father. They claim she walked out on the (apparently abusive) husband and seven kids when the youngest was about 3. We have never heard any of this before. It has now been verified by a family friend that she was married before but the 7 kids??? She married our father when she was in her 30's so she must of started young if this is true.

Here's why we don't believe it

1. I know this sounds like the evil step-child talking but everyone agrees that she did not have one maternal bone in her body.

2. They say she just walked out. Would you walk out of a situation like that and in a very short time jump into a 'step mother' role?

3. There seem to be some financial irregularities (her money from my deceased father is in a trust). My brother keeps tabs on her finances along with a neice of hers (who we are now starting to wonder about).

4. When my brother said 'This sounds suspicious to me, I think we should contact the Police'. Aforementioned neice started backing off.

5. How could someone (and her whole family) keep this lie going for so many years?

Ha! We are completely baffled. My poor brother is trying to get a handle on this but with stepmom a little out-of-touch with reality it's hard to get to the truth. I think it's time to call in the authorities. If it's all true, well, then we will find out and if this is some elaborate scam being carried out on a frail elderly lady the scammers will hopefully get their butts kicked.

Ha! Watch this space...

EagleLady
05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Yikes! I certainly hope it isn't true TBS fan. It's sad when people have to resort to scamming

TimothyBFan
05-08-2009, 01:43 PM
WOW tbsf!!! I can't even imagine what you guys are going thru trying to sort that out!! I'm with you, sounds like it's time for the authorities to be called in and keep an eye on that niece-sounds a little shady.

Oh--be sure and take notes because this sounds like a blockbuster movie in the making! And keep us up to date-you really have my interest peaked at this point.

melrose
05-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Tbsf, I hope everything gets settled out in the right way. That is quite the story, and you were right - that's a hard one to beat. You have me enthralled! Every family certainly has their dirty little secrets...most of them at least :hilarious:

tbs fanatic
05-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Ha! I told my sister-in-law yesterday - 'I'm going to start picking out the actress who can play me' :rofl: It's not funny really but, honestly, I can't stop bursting into laughter at the mere thought of this being true. My step mother didn't take crap from anybody and was definitely the 'straight talker' type. So to think she would put together this elaborate lie and keep to it all these years - it's just not in her makeup, she wouldn't be bothered, she'd just put it all out there for all to see. Nobody will be more 'blown away' than me if this does turn out to be true, that's for sure.:jawdrop:

AzEaglesFan
05-09-2009, 02:05 AM
This could end up being the beginning of either a royal pain in the butt for your family or have all of you rolling on the floor laughing at the next family reunion. Good luck

Peekaboo
05-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Wow!! That is some story there TBSF!! I sure hope that it all works out for the better. If it does turn out to be a scam, shame on those so called "7 children."

Glennsallnighter
05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Oooh TBSF! This certainly IS intriguing. Just all of you keep your heads together and document as much as you can, somethimes its the seemingly most insignificant detail that can prove a case!

tbs fanatic
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Eeek! Various family members are starting to take sides. I am starting to side with 'the shady neice' (who I'm thinking is not so shady now) while older brother is starting to move towards 'the seven' (as I have named them) he's not completely in their camp but I can tell he's getting there. I knew this was going to happen - OMG families, they are enough to drive you to the nut house :crazy:

sodascouts
05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Uh-oh! So you think this is for real then??

tbs fanatic
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
We still don't know for sure. They have not produced any papers to prove this yet but I can tell things are shifting towards 'Yes, it's true'.

Molly
05-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Eeek! Various family members are starting to take sides. I am starting to side with 'the shady neice' (who I'm thinking is not so shady now) while older brother is starting to move towards 'the seven' (as I have named them) he's not completely in their camp but I can tell he's getting there. I knew this was going to happen - OMG families, they are enough to drive you to the nut house :crazy:

I come from a "Jerry Springer" drama kind of family. One that divided over an issue years ago.

For me -the truth is hard to hear sometimes, but in the end -I'm glad I know the whole story.

Hang in there.

Molly
05-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Woo Hoo! Today was my first day working from home and it was heaven!!!:angel: I've been promised this day would come for a very long time and it was well worth the wait. I only have to go into the office 1 day/week and eventually 1 or 2 days per month.

Tomorrow I'm attending our hospital's "employee recognition" dinner. I'm being recognized for 25 years of service. OMG!! 25 years!! I started as teenager half way thru college.

melrose
05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Congratulations, Molly! 25 years is a very big accomplishment!

sodascouts
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow, impressive, Molly! Sounds like they really value you. 25 years - you go, girl!

DonFan
05-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Congratulations from me too, Molly. 25 years is quite a milestone for any job!:thumbsup:

Koala
05-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Congratulations Molly, 25 years is a very great achievement!

glenneaglesfan
05-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Molly, congratulations on your 25 years! Working from home sounds wonderful. Mind you don't have too many distractions!

TBSF, your 'new' family members sound bizarre. I hope you can get to the bottom of all the intrigue and that it doesn't cause too much of a family rift. Thank goodness there's just me and my sister, and we are in agreement. Good thing, as the care home fees are huge. My mother is starting to settle down there, and we managed to take her out to a local garden last Sunday without one mention of going home.

Our garden works are going well, with the conservator walls up, and paving almost finished. The only delay is on the hot tub, which we hoped would be delivered before the gap in the hedge is closed, but it may now involve lifting it over - that's the agent's problem though, as he has messed us around for the last couple of months.

Molly
05-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Glad your mom is settling in well, Kate.

A hot tub? When can we all come over for the hot tub christening? :thumbsup:

tbs fanatic
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Congrats Molly, that is quite an achievement.

Glad to hear your Mom is doing well GA. My family are '..all quiet on the western front.' for the time being. Probably gearing themselves up for some weekend onslaught :roll:

Brooke
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Congrats to you and 25 years on the job, Molly! :thumbsup: And to be able to work from home?! Fantastic! Enjoy!

tbs fanatic, good luck with the drama.

My family is quiet at the moment, too, but I'm sure it won't last long! There are two senior graduations (nieces) on the same day this Sunday at towns that are too far apart to attend both, so that could cause an upset. Finally, we decided that hubby would go to the one on his side of the family and I would go to the one on mine. The only way to keep the peace! :rolleyes:

Gef, great to hear all is going well with the remodeling! A hot tub sounds so nice! :partytime: I'm glad your Mom is doing well.

Brooke
05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
My family are '..all quiet on the western front.' for the time being. Probably gearing themselves up for some weekend onslaught :roll:

:rofl: This only sounds too familiar tbsf!

sodascouts
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
GEF, so glad to hear your mom is getting used to the home. It definitely was the right choice, to put her in there.

I wish I could visit your place again and see this garden of wonder that's been in the works for so long! A hot tub? Nice!

tbs fanatic
05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
For some weird reason the 'hot tub' reminds me of some tv ad that ran in England years ago for some sort of bubble bath lotion. The woman is relaxing in her bathtub after a stressful day and says 'Take me away Calgon'. Does anyone else remember that? :rofl:I need a 'Calgon' day in your hot tub GEF :rofl: It's okay everyone - I'm just losing my mind this week.:crazy:

ticky
05-13-2009, 12:38 PM
*G* tbs I remember the Calgon commercial VERY well and I still say that.
Our hot tub is wonderful, but the lid is so old and heavy I can lift it at all!! We have a lever on the side that supposed to make it easier but the lid is still just too heavy. Cliff and my Dad have been trying to figure out some way to rig a lift and pulley device so it will be liftable. I really hope they can come up with something. I miss my hot tub!

tbs fanatic
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM
:hilarious: Isn't it odd how you will read something and suddenly some completely bizarre thought will fix itself in your head i.e. 'Calgon'. I can't get that ad out of my head now :headscratch:

Glennsallnighter
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
"Washing Machines Live Longer With Calgon......"

Molly, congrats on 25 years employment from me as well. I hope the working from home works out well for you. Its great not to have to battle the ealy morning traffic, but you have to be sooooo disciplined!

GEF! I'm delighted your mom is settling into her new home and that she seems to be happy. I hope you get the hot tub sorted soon. Sounds like you are doing a lovely extension.

Brooke, I hope the graduations go well. There are indeed times that families need to bilocate!

We are gearing up to Laura's First Holy Communion on Saturday. It is I'd say the first major 'rite of passage' that Catholics undergo and so is cause for quite a bit of ceremony and celebration. Hence we have been busy doing up the house and garden over the past few weeks. Hopefully we will get a fine day for the celebration. Ironically, one of only 2 cousins that she has is ALSO making his First Holy Communion on Saturday as well. So 'Grandad' will be in a similar situation to your family Brooke!

Prettymaid
05-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Now see what you made me go and do? I posted the Calgon commercial in the appropriate thread. Take me away!

Molly
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
So, my name is announced and I'm walking up to the front of the reception hall filled with my hospital peers, ready to shake the hand of the hospital president and get handed my little certificate for my 25 years of hospital service. As I'm walking up, El Presidente (new guy, only been president for a year, barely knows my name) is telling the group about my achievements and a little bit of personal stuff. You know, like my education, my accreditations, etc...."she has 2 sons, loves dogs, etc. etc." Then he proceeds to start talking about how I'm a huge fan of the band The Eagles, how I've traveled all over to see them, how I've stalked one member on a golf course..."In fact, he says, she's a regular groupie". :jawdrop:

And, of course, I'm thinking, well, not a regular groupie. More like a groupie "WOB". Right, Nancy, Kay, and Lissa?

Surprised a lot of people who weren't aware of my groupie status (myself included). I've been fielding questions from curious co-workers since Wednesday. :pimp:

Brooke
05-15-2009, 04:08 PM
:hilarious: You've been found out now Molly! Congrats!

tbs fanatic
05-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Oh that's too funny :hilarious: I'm sure you are being looked at with new eyes now Molly :hilarious:

melrose
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh no, Molly! You've been outed! Hopefully no one finds out about the rest of us :fear:

:hilarious:

sodascouts
05-17-2009, 02:23 AM
LOL Molly! That's terrific! I stand proudly beside you as a Groupie WOB. ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
05-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Congrats on your 25 years service with the hospital, Molly. That really is quite an accomplishment in this day and time. Very nice of them to honor you at the ceremony by busting you on your groupie status.

From another fellow groupie "WOB"

The_Girl_Of_Summer
05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
wow guys i've missed so much lately but things have been crazy i only have 6 more days of high school. I broke my arm and thats about it. I miss you guys a lot and i plan on spending so more time after i graduate. I hope all is well with everyone. =D

TimothyBFan
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
GOS--sorry to hear about your arm. How did that happen? Congrats on your upcoming graduation--I bet you are so excited!!!! Several of us here are looking forward to our kids graduating also.

Over the weekend we were taking a walk and about a block away came across a neighbors yard sale. Larry has known these people all his life since one of their sons was his best friend in high school. Mr L. is a collector/seller of all things! If he can make a buck on ANYTHING he will. They are originally from Chicago and the man still has many "dealings" over there. Anyways there was this huge Coca-Cola sign that was rather bent up and rusted and was exactly what we have been looking for for the side of our garage. Come to find out, according to Mr. L., it once hung on a store on the west side of Chicago that belonged to Al Capone's parents/family. We bought it and hung it up yesterday. Got it for little money because we knew the guy and the story is just great -but who knows if true or not, but I'm sticking with it!

Also at this sale there was an Eagles hat from HFO and of course my husband grabbed it up and started going thru some albums that were there also and asked Mr L. if there were any Eagles albums there (why, since I have several copies of all of them?). Mr L says no but he wishes he knew that he was an Eagles fan because he had tons of collectibles about a year ago. Larry procedes to tell him it was me that was the "obsessed" one yadda yadda yadda... Anyways, again with the Chicago connections. Apparently he has a friend in Chicago that was a roadie several years ago (during HFO) and has also been a roadie for Grand Funk Railroad and Grateful Dead. He is now doing time in prison for Cocaine possession/selling and told Mr. L. to start selling off all his stuff because he is losing everything. Mr. L. had several signed guitars, albums pics etc... from the Eagles and these other bands that he has sold in the past year. Says he THINKS there might still be one Joe Walsh guitar and a few signed pics that he will try and find for me. My fingers, toes and everything else are crossed, that he will come thru!!

Molly
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow! Aren't you glad you took that walk?! Fingers and toes crossed for you, too.

Brooke
05-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Wow, TBF! That would be too cool to have some of that stuff! Good luck!

eaglesvet
05-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Willie, a JOE WALSH GUITAR!! AAHHHH :thumbsup::faint:

My hubby is the Coca-Cola fanatic. We have a huge ole' cooler in the garage, as well as several old-fashioned signs and wooden crates. We even had to serve the individual glass bottles of Coke at our wedding instead of from the fountain at the bar. Oh well, for some it's the Coke, and for others it's the coke, I guess...at least his keeps him out of jail!:hilarious:

eaglesvet
05-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Congrats on your 25 years service with the hospital, Molly. That really is quite an accomplishment in this day and time. Very nice of them to honor you at the ceremony by busting you on your groupie status.

From another fellow groupie "WOB"
Congrats from me, too, Molly! I give up, now...WOB :?: (I hope I don't regret asking this...)

Molly
05-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Congrats from me, too, Molly! I give up, now...WOB :?: (I hope I don't regret asking this...)

I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask!

When I went to Pebble Beach last year, my husband was fond of telling people that I was a Glenn Frey "groupie" to which I would quickly add "a groupie without the benefits." Thus, GFGWOB.

Whenever I get an e-mail from my husband, my name in the address line is "glennfreystalker". I'm married to a comedian. :eyebrow:

eaglesvet
05-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh,my husband insists that I stalk the entire band whenever I sit down at my laptop (even if I'm paying bills!) I guess they (the hubbies) think they are all so clever!

ticky
05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Says he THINKS there might still be one Joe Walsh guitar and a few signed pics that he will try and find for me. My fingers, toes and everything else are crossed, that he will come thru!!

I read this and lost control of my bodily functions... I think Im all right now tho.. PLEASE keep us informed!!! TOO COOL!!!!!!

As for me.. the sun is out here.. Im in it... The garden is coming together and as soon as the hard part is done, Ill have more time to play. I *do* check in and browse even if Im not always responding :) gotta run! Time to plant the squash!

Glennsallnighter
05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Once again Molly, congrats on the 25 years of service that you have given to your job, and also on your elevation to 'Groupie' status!

GOS Sorry to hear about the arm. I hope its recovering well. And enjoy your last few days at school!

Wow!! TBF! What a treasure trove your neighbour seems to have come on. (Privatenote: Anything signed by Glenn :heart:?)

We were very busy over the weekend as Laura celebrated her First Holy Communion over the weekend. She looked lovely in her long white dress and and managed to wear it with a level of maturity and grace which I would never have believed. The actual ceremony went extremely well and she did us proud doing both the opening and closing addresses. We had lunch with the family at a local hotel and then had a party for her in the house later that day.

On the downside the weather was AWFUL! It poured rain for much of the weekend and was also unseasonably cold. Poor Laura was also sick all day!! Whether it was a tummy bug or nervousness that caused it I'll never know, but it didn't stop her enjoying her day anyway.

Here she is!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/DSC01825.jpg

TimothyBFan
05-19-2009, 08:31 AM
GA--Aahh--She looked beautiful!! (Of course I kinda have a soft spot for our little "Timtot"!) Glad, despite the weather, it was a lovely day for your family!

Stars
05-19-2009, 09:24 AM
GA, Laura looks lovely in that white dress-what a pretty girl she is!
I can sympathize with her-I had a tummy bug the week before last that went on for five days-ugh. The one good part about it was that I lost my appetite, and took off a few pounds. However, now that I'm better, I'm gaining it all back!:brickwall:

Brooke
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Ga, Laura looks beautiful! Glad it all went well.

Troubadour
05-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Aw, Laura looked beautiful, Lis! I'm glad the day went well, despite the weather.

Molly
05-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Awww, Laura looks beautiful!

I have fond memories of my First Communion day (even though it was about 1,000,000 years ago). Hope she made lifelong memories, as well!

EagleLady
05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Awww Laura looks beautiful Lisa

ticky
05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Laura is beautiful, Lisa. Im sorry the weather turned out so bad though. I know you worked yourselves silly getting the garden ready for this. It's a shame you didnt get much chance to show it all off. I hope Laura is feeling better now it's all done.

glenneaglesfan
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Lisa, congratulations to Laura on her first communion. She looks so sweet in that dress. I'm glad it all went well despite the tummy bug. You must be very proud!

TBF, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too - just imagine if this guy came up trumps - a Joe Walsh guitar - good grief!

Molly, I had to smile at your public denouncement of being an Eagles groupie! Go for it, girl, and be proud!

GOS, hope you get through the last few days, and that your arm isn't too painful.

Nancy, you wouldn't recognise the back garden now! It seems a long time since those happy days in 2006 when you came to visit and the boys manned the barbecue for us.

Ticky, our hot tub is allegedly coming with a gadget to lift the lid, but in the small space we've got I don't think it will be practical, so I'm flexing my muscles as we speak!

Husband is away on call tonight, hence a rare chance to post. After a few tough months, things are gradually settling down, and last night we celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary. As we were both working, we just walked to our local pub and enjoyed good simple food and a bottle of wine.

melrose
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
GA, your daughter looks lovely in her communion dress! You must be very proud of her.

Willie--good luck with that guitar! My fingers and toes are also crossed for you. I would probably:thud:from excitement!

Koala
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
GA, your daughter looks wonderful!
TBF, how cool is this, good luck with the guitar from Joe!

Glennsallnighter
05-20-2009, 05:19 AM
Thank you all for your lovely compliments about Laura. We were indeed very proud of her and she did herself proud as well. HOWEVER Its back to normal now and I think she's suffering from PPW (Post princess withdrawal), ie after all the hype she's coming down harder than I would after a Glenn :heart: gig, and realising that she is not the centre of the universe any more! Ah well, she'll get over it in a few days.

No worries about the garden Ticky, at least its ready for when the sun DOES shine.

Kate your renovations sound lovely. I'm glad they are going well for you and also that your life is getting back to a more even keel. Congrats on your 24th Anniversary as well. I suppose next year will be the 'biggie!!'

sodascouts
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Nancy, you wouldn't recognise the back garden now! It seems a long time since those happy days in 2006 when you came to visit and the boys manned the barbecue for us.

Indeed, but I cherish the memories! :)

ticky
05-22-2009, 03:29 PM
We're about to head out to the cabin. First trip of the season and Im pretty excited. Cami will be there as well as the rest of the extended fam. The weather is perfect and we're all packed and ready!
Have a great Memorial Day weekend Everyone!!

Troubadour
05-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Have a wonderful weekend, Rhonda & Cami. Would love to be able to join you!

Glennsallnighter
05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes girls, have a wonderful time. And Happy Birthday to Sarah, Ticky! Hope she has a wonderful day tomorrow.

Peekaboo
05-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Ticky, I hope you and Cami and the rest of the fam have a wonderful time at the cabin this weekend. It must be so wonderful to have a place like that to escape to every once in a while.

DonFan
05-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Hope you have a great weekend too, Ticky!

Yesterday was our 22nd anniversary and we went shopping for a new flat screen TV for our bedroom since our old TV is about worn out. Later that night we went out to dinner at a new place called Bellini’s, and when we told them it was our anniversary, they put us in a cozy little back room with only four tables off the main room. There was a flat screen TV on the wall in the room that was playing…...wait for it…...Eagles Farewell 1! I am not kidding. My jaw absolutely dropped. My hubby said, “Did you ask them to do that?” and I said “Absolutely not! I am as surprised as you are!”

Peekaboo
05-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Congrats on 22 years DF!!! That's fantastic!! And to have the Eagles FW1 dvd playing during dinner is a major added bonus!!!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
05-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Happy anniversary DF. Isn't it great that they were playing F1 - but your eyes were probably glued to the screen instead of hubbies' eyes!

Molly
05-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Happy Anniversary, Dana!

Koala
05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Congratulation on 22 years DF!

DonFan
05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Happy anniversary DF. Isn't it great that they were playing F1 - but your eyes were probably glued to the screen instead of hubbies' eyes!

That was the only downside, PM--I couldn't take my eyes off the screen!
I felt kinda bad about that, but I remember countless other dinners where the restaurants had TV's with football or baseball games on, and my hubby's eyes were glued to them, too, so I guess we are even!

EagleLady
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Happy belated Anniversary to you DF :partytime:

Stars
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Belated anniversary wishes, DF! What a great anniversary celebration-it must have been very special to have F1 playing while you were eating dinner. You probably wanted to stretch out the dinner til the concert ended!:)

DonFan
05-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.

Y'know, the fun just never stops around our house. Our cat, Muffin, woke us up at 5 a.m. this morning chasing a mouse around our bedroom. Eeek! :shock:

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Congrats on 22 years DF! What a lovely way to celebrate. I can imagine my hubby's reaction if it happened when we were out 'Just give her glass of wine, seat her facing the screen and text me when its over.....'

TimothyBFan
05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Congrats DF---Your post about dinner cracked me up! My husband would of thought that was a complete setup had that been us. He still thinks it's a conspiracy every time we go anywhere and he hears an Eagles song playing!:hilarious:

Brooke
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Belated congrats from me too, DF! How cool that they played FW1 for you, too! I certainly can relate to the 'usually it's football or baseball we get to watch', so good for you! :thumbsup:

ticky
05-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Congrats Dana on 22 years!! and F1 was just the cosmos saying Good Job! the mouse... well think of it as kitties little anniversary gift *G*

We're back from The Family Compound (cabin) where we lounged (in lawn chairs) around the pool (blow up kiddie pool) sipping gin and tonics (out of Flintstone glasses) and listening to live music (me and my guitar) in the sunshine (THAT was real). All in all, we felt like Kennedy's (or their hillbilly cousins *G*) It was a lot of fun tho.
My cousin who lives about a half a mile down the road from the cabin, is a logger/hillbilly and has the beer gut and bead to prove it (ZZ Tops has NOTHING on this guy) and he's mowed a small cow pasture and rolled it smooth. He turned it into a golf course (9 hole) and he has a "Tournament" there ever memorial day. It's a lot of fun to watch!! there are loggers and kids and dogs and babies and lots and lots of white lightening! VERY entertaining. He needs to turn it into a celebrity invitational and invite Glenn!
My aunt is a master gardener and has a little over an acre in a garden. When we visit I always bring home new stuff for my garden. No exception this time. Cami and I both brought back LOTS of new stuff to plant and that's where Im headed now, to the garden to get it all in before it dies!!
Have a great day!

TimothyBFan
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Aww Ticky--That just sounds like heaven to me!! I swear, if I ever win the lottery, I'm bringing the clan out there for a week! :hilarious:

Brooke
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Ticky, your 'weekend at the compound' story is just hilarious! You are too funny for your own good! Glad you had such a nice weekend!

We live in the country and spent most of the weekend working in the yard, sipping margueritas on the deck and listening to lots of classic rock until yesterday, when it rained most of the day.

melrose
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Congratulations on 22 years, DF! It sounds like you had a wonderful evening with great music ;)

Ticky, glad to hear you had a good time on your weekend cabin trip, and have fun getting everything in the ground!

Troubadour
05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Ticky and Brooke - can I come and live with you guys? Please? Either one, I'm not fussy! Your respective weekends sound heavenly.

Belated congratulations, DF. Your F1 story made me smile. I bet that was the icing on the cake (for you, at least!)

Brooke
05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Ticky and Brooke - can I come and live with you guys? Please? Either one, I'm not fussy! Your respective weekends sound heavenly.

Well, Troub, speaking for myself here, you can certainly come for a visit! As for the 'living with'.......we're empty nesters and we kinda like it! :wink: :laugh:

Troubadour
05-26-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL. Can't say I blame you. A visit'll do me! ;)

glenneaglesfan
05-26-2009, 05:01 PM
DF, belated congratulations from me on your 22nd, and what a way to celebrate! D & I celebrated 24 years last week.

Ticky,glad you had a great time at your cabin - it sounds idyllic! Love the story about your neighbour's 'golf course!'

Here's the latest on our garden works. Conservatory going up but still waiting for the hot tub man to deliver. It'll be lovely when it's finished!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Devon/IMG_5506.jpg

Troubadour
05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
A happy belated anniversary to you and your hubby too, GEF. Looks like the garden is coming along nicely!

The details of this are a bit hazy at the moment, but one of my uncles was taken into hospital yesterday because, basically, he appeared to have a complete breakdown. He has a history of depression and he has attempted suicide in the past, and the past couple of days, apparently he has been hallucinating and alternating between being hysterical and almost like a zombie. At times he doesn't recognise anyone - even his mother. I don't know if you remember, but my grandad's brother, John, died last year. It's one of his sons, M, who is now in hospital. He seems to have really gone downhill since his dad died, and my great aunt (M's mum) has done so much for him, but just doesn't know how to help him anymore. My grandparents spend a lot of time with my great aunt, especially since uncle John died, and I know they're very disturbed and upset by this. They were there when M was hysterical and I think it scared my grandma a lot. All I know is that the hospital is doing tests, but they haven't found anything yet (they're trying to rule out any physical causes first.) I guess it would be nice to know that you are keeping him in your thoughts. He really is a lovely man and has always taken such an interest in us kids. He's only in his late 40s. Also, for my aunt's sake - she's been through so much in this past year, and apart from my grandparents, she's pretty much coping by herself. I really hope M can get the kind of help he needs.

EagleLady
05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh Lou, I will keep him in my prayers :hug: Kate, Looks like the garden is really coming along! :thumbsup:

DonFan
05-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Congratulations to you too, GEF. Your garden is going to be lovely.

Troub, I hope your uncle gets better soon.

Brooke
05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Troub, I'm sending good wishes your uncle's way. Hopefully they will figure it out and he will be alright.

Kate, your garden is going to be gorgeous! I can just tell from what's already been done!

Stars
05-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Troub, my thoughts and prayers are with your uncle, and all of your family. Please continue to keep us posted on how he is doing.

Koala
05-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Troub, I hope your uncle gets better soon.
Ticky, glad to hear you had a good time.
Congrats GEF!

Peekaboo
05-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Lou, I sure hope that your uncle gets better. I send good thoughts and prayers your way for you and your family.

Kate, the garden is looking great. I can see that the hard work is paying off because it looks beautiful already.

Mrs Frey
05-27-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm never in Creation going to catch up with everything here that I've missed, but I've read the last two pages and want to say this:

Troub, I feel so sorry for your uncle. I really hope he pulls through this difficult phase in his life. I wish him, and all his family (including you, of course) every strength. I can identify to a degree regarding his feelings after his father's passing - after three years and two months, I still cannot get to grips with losing my mother. It's just SO tough...

GEF, it's great to hear from you. I've been thinking about you a lot. I'm sure your garden will look fantastic when it's finished. Congratulations on your 24th wedding anniversary.

DF, congratulatons on your 22nd wedding anniversary!

sodascouts
05-27-2009, 07:57 AM
GEF, thanks for keeping us updated on that garden!

Lou, how terrible about your uncle. He is in my prayers.

TimothyBFan
05-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Lou---So sorry to hear about your uncle. Mental illness and depression are hard things to handle for anyone. Hopefully with the proper help, he will make a recovery and be able to handle the death of his father better. Good luck to your family!

Kate-thanks for keeping the pictures coming of the beautiful garden. Hopefully you will be able to spend many enjoyable hours there once it is done.

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival today of my newest great niece or nephew. My niece Shelly is in the hospital in Minnesota as we speak. This will be #16 but it is always exciting. They have managed to get thru the whole pregnancy this time without finding out whether it is a boy or girl. I know Grandpa (my husband's brother) is waiting by the phone in Egypt right now probably going a little crazy waiting for the phone call not being able to be here this time. He should be home for good in July and will be able to spoil them all then!

Mrs Frey
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
No. 16!!! WOW, TBF!!! :shock:

ticky
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Kate, your garden will be beautiful!! and you're going to love the hot tub!

Lou, Im so sorry about your Uncle. I hope he gets through this time soon. Mental illness, clinical depression especially, is so hard on everyone. *HUGS* and good thoughts.

Willie, 16? wow.. Lucky you *G* Keep us posted about the baby and post pics as soon as you can!!! Babies are wonderful!!! *G*

I posted some pictures on Facebook of our weekend. I thought it might be easier to just post the album then resize em, send em to the server and repost em here *G* yeah, Im lazy *G*
Facebook Photo Album of our Memorial Day weekend '09 (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26549&id=1145190649&l=5f1b710560)

EagleLady
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Those are nice pics Rhonda, Sarah is adorable

TimothyBFan
05-27-2009, 01:25 PM
It's another boy--Erik John 7 lbs 5 oz 20 inches long!! Mom and baby both doing fine!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/ErikJohn-1.jpg

EagleLady
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Awww what a cutie!

Brooke
05-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Lovely Ticky!

And adorable, TBF! :angel:

Stars
05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Lovely pix, Ticky! You live in a gorgeous part of the country!
TBF, the baby is just adorable! Thanks for posting the pic for us to see!

Molly
05-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Troub-sorry to hear about your uncle's difficulties. That's a long hard road to have to travel. I hope they find some answers and can provide him some help and relief. Prayers for strength to your family.

TBF -what a cutie pie.

I think I'm ready for a grandbaby or two. :shock::shock::shock: I did NOT just say that!!

Troubadour
05-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts about my uncle. I'll keep you updated.

Willie, Erik is flippin' adorable! Congrats to mum and dad. I love his name.

Thanks for sharing your pics, Rhonda. Loved seeing them.

Koala
05-28-2009, 12:30 AM
TBF, Erik is very cute!
Those are nice pics Ticky.

Mrs Frey
05-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Ticky, your photos are lovely. I can do with some of that peaceful scenery around me.

TBF, little Erik is very cute!

ticky
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Today is Sarah's 6th birthday. We just finished planting a garden for her. We planted a tomato, two zucchini, a pumpkin, a nasturshum, and a bean of questionable origin (they sprouted them at school and we are not sure what kind they are.) We will later plant a few cucumbers and some zinnias! Saturday she will be having a party for her friends and tonight Mom's baking a cake.
Happy Birthday Sarah-Bear!

Brooke
05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Happy Birthday to Sarah!

Have fun in the garden! :birthday:

Peekaboo
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Willie, little Erik is such a cutie!!! Congratulations!!!

Rhonda, I'd like to send my "Happy Birthday" wishes to Sarah as well. I hope she's had a wonderful day!!!

TimothyBFan
05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Today is Dillon's last day of high school and Sunday is graduation. Why am I having such a hard time with this? It just doesn't seem possible. Where did the time go? :-(

sodascouts
05-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Poor thing. I know it must be hard! "Sunrise, sunset... sunrise, sunset... swiftly go the years..."

tbs fanatic
05-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Erik is soooooo cute. Happy Birthday to Sarah - sounds like a fun day is planned. My guy is 18 today :woah: I know he is planning a crazy night - I will have to take knock-out pills tonight so I don't spend the whole night worrying :nervous:

Some crappy news - hubby has to have triple by-pass surgery next week :woah: The recovery from that is long so it is going to pretty much knock out a big chunk of the summer for us. It was a big surprise. He had an angioplasty about 10 years ago and regularly sees a heart doctor for check ups.

Brooke
05-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Today is Dillon's last day of high school and Sunday is graduation. Why am I having such a hard time with this? It just doesn't seem possible. Where did the time go? :-(

Awwww, good luck getting through it all, TBF. I remember. Just yesterday they were babies. In the wink of an eye. All you can do is do it.

My guy is 18 today :woah: I know he is planning a crazy night - I will have to take knock-out pills tonight so I don't spend the whole night worrying :nervous:

Same to you tbsf.

Some crappy news - hubby has to have triple by-pass surgery next week :woah: The recovery from that is long so it is going to pretty much knock out a big chunk of the summer for us. It was a big surprise. He had an angioplasty about 10 years ago and regularly sees a heart doctor for check ups.

Now that is serious. Best of luck to him.

sodascouts
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Oh no! Poor guy! Hopefully all will be well.

Peekaboo
05-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Good luck to your hubby, TBSF. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. I'll be praying for him.

alreadygone2005@yahoo.com
05-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I broke my left ankle May 4th. Had it rebuilt May 15th and start physical therapy on June 15th to learn how to walk on it again therapy will take 6 to 8 weeks to complete.

Koala
05-30-2009, 02:22 AM
tbs fanatic, good luck to your husband!

melrose
05-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Okay, I'm playing catch up, so here it goes...

Troub, I have your uncle in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything works out for him. It seems as if he has a very strong support group.

Willie, Congrats on your new nephew! He is absolutely precious! Good luck to both you and TBSF dealing with your growing boys/men. Savor every minute of this exciting time.

I want to send a belated birthday wish to Sarah, and a congrats to GEF on 24 years of marriage! I hope everyone had great celebrations.

TBSF, I hope your husband has a safe and, by all good means, uneventful recovery, and that everything works out fine for his health.

Alreadygone2005, best of luck with your therapy! Hopefully all will go well with it and you will be walking in no time.

I was involved in a car accident May 20th, and haven't been on the boards quite as much lately. I'm having to deal with back and neck physical therapy for the next 4 to 6 months. At this point, I'm just glad that no one was seriously injured in the wreck. I've had many people tell me that car accidents change your life and that you never look at driving the same afterwards. Since I've been back behind the wheel, I must say that I agree. I would just like to say to everyone, please be cautious out there. No matter how safe of a driver you are, there will always be others on the road who aren't. Be safe!

EasyFeeling
05-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi there, just wanted to let you know I'm still alive :) I want to try to pop by more often. Still busy in the Thomas forum, the activity there take up a lot of my time even if I'm not so excited anymore for him. But I've made of lot of new friends there. I've been to South Germany last week for a few days to see some girls and we had a great time.

I hope everyone is well :) I'm soooo looking forward to July when I finally go to see the Eagles again. :partytime:

Peekaboo
05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
AG2005, I can relate to your pains with your ankle. I had a bad sports injury with my right ankle 4 years ago and ended up having surgery on it. Although it wasn't a complete and major break, I did have a small break and many torn ligaments. It still bothers me from time to time. It's always a pain to have to go through rehab for any injury. I wish you the best of luck with that.

Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt in that car accident, Melrose. I'm sorry that you had to go through that and about you having the back and neck pain. That's too bad. I hope your injuries heal fast. Good luck with your physical therapy and getting back to 100%.

Peekaboo
05-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I've been shopping around for another car during the last couple of days. It's not quite as fun as I thought it would be. So far, the car dealers that I've talked to seem like they are full of bull****. I didn't want to have my heart set on it but I did really like one of the cars I test drove but the guy wanted too much money down. I think i'm gonna try to save up a little bit more money and hold out for the 4th of July sales. I realized this morning that I could've had enough money for a down payment on a brand new car if I hadn't gone to all of those Eagles and Don Henley concerts. Oh well, It was all worth it. I wouldn't take back those experiences for anything.

BTW, my 5 year old neice, Natalie, was with us while were car shopping. She's recently fell in love with Hotel California. It's so cute to hear her sing along to it. We listened to the song over and over in my car yesterday while driving from place to place. When we test drove the car I liked, I mentioned that that was the car I wanted and Natalie asked "Why?" I told her it was because I need a new car...bad. She said she didn't want me to get a new car because the car I have now plays her favorite song...Hotel California. She started to get sad because she thought that my car is the only one that can play her favorite song. I've now made her a copy of the song so she can listen to it anywhere. She also told her momma that she wants to go with me the next time I see the Eagles in concert.

Troubadour
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Jess, I love that story about Natalie. Adorable!

TBS, I'll be thinking of you and your hubby and wishing him all the best. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and that the op goes well.

Melrose, so sorry to hear about your car accident. I had a minor one a few months ago, and it really does shake you up. I hope you get back to your old self as soon as possible. Good luck with the therapy - keep us updated on how it's going.

I've had quite a nice, relaxing weekend. One of my service users had an exhibition at the library yesterday, so I went along. He works at a farm every Tuesday with a group of other disabled guys, and they had an exhibition of the pottery they'd made. It was great, and he was really pleased that I'd gone. Of course, I was practically forced to buy something, so I came away with a little clay dish. God knows where I'm going to put it, but it was a nice thought!

Not much more news on my uncle, apart from he's still in the hospital and they still haven't found any physical cause to his problems. My grandparents went to visit him on Friday and said that, in general, he was more chatty and seemed to be more coherent, but at one point, he stood up and ran towards the window, shouting that he wanted to jump out of it. It's so upsetting. I'm just hoping that this is the start of M getting some proper help. I can't even imagine what he and his mum must be going through. One of those situations where you feel completely useless.

tbs fanatic
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh my gosh Melrose! Hope the therapy helps.

Mrs Frey
06-01-2009, 06:30 AM

I'm sorry to read this, TBSF. I wish him every strength now and after the surgery, as well as to you and all his loved ones.

Mrs Frey
06-01-2009, 06:33 AM
I broke my left ankle May 4th. Had it rebuilt May 15th and start physical therapy on June 15th to learn how to walk on it again therapy will take 6 to 8 weeks to complete.

That's horrible, AG - I wish you every strength during this trying time.

Mrs Frey
06-01-2009, 06:35 AM
I was involved in a car accident May 20th, and haven't been on the boards quite as much lately. I'm having to deal with back and neck physical therapy for the next 4 to 6 months. At this point, I'm just glad that no one was seriously injured in the wreck. I've had many people tell me that car accidents change your life and that you never look at driving the same afterwards. Since I've been back behind the wheel, I must say that I agree. I would just like to say to everyone, please be cautious out there. No matter how safe of a driver you are, there will always be others on the road who aren't. Be safe!

I'm so sorry to read this, Melrose. All I can do is wish you every strength during your physical therapy, which I can imagine is very tough.

Mrs Frey
06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Hi there, just wanted to let you know I'm still alive :) I want to try to pop by more often. Still busy in the Thomas forum, the activity there take up a lot of my time even if I'm not so excited anymore for him. But I've made of lot of new friends there. I've been to South Germany last week for a few days to see some girls and we had a great time.

I hope everyone is well :) I'm soooo looking forward to July when I finally go to see the Eagles again. :partytime:

Gosh, EL, I'm so pleased to see you're posting again - I've missed you! :hug: Okay, that's rich coming from me, since I'd also gone MIA over the last two months or so :wink:

I'm glad you've made new friends from the Thomas forum. Is he still so big in Germany as he was after he won the "Idols" contest, and has he made any in-roads abroad?

I'm so jealous that you (and others on The Border) are going to see the Eagles "again". I wish I could say I was going to see them again! How I wish they would include South Africa in their tour!

Mrs Frey
06-01-2009, 06:47 AM
I've been shopping around for another car during the last couple of days. It's not quite as fun as I thought it would be. So far, the car dealers that I've talked to seem like they are full of bull****. I didn't want to have my heart set on it but I did really like one of the cars I test drove but the guy wanted too much money down. I think i'm gonna try to save up a little bit more money and hold out for the 4th of July sales. I realized this morning that I could've had enough money for a down payment on a brand new car if I hadn't gone to all of those Eagles and Don Henley concerts. Oh well, It was all worth it. I wouldn't take back those experiences for anything.

BTW, my 5 year old neice, Natalie, was with us while were car shopping. She's recently fell in love with Hotel California. It's so cute to hear her sing along to it. We listened to the song over and over in my car yesterday while driving from place to place. When we test drove the car I liked, I mentioned that that was the car I wanted and Natalie asked "Why?" I told her it was because I need a new car...bad. She said she didn't want me to get a new car because the car I have now plays her favorite song...Hotel California. She started to get sad because she thought that my car is the only one that can play her favorite song. I've now made her a copy of the song so she can listen to it anywhere. She also told her momma that she wants to go with me the next time I see the Eagles in concert.

Your niece has great taste, Peekaboo!

Good luck with the purchase of a new car. I'm currently having my 1968 Beetle refurbished (is that the right word?) as the rust had started to creep in everywhere, sadly. The only thing that's irking me is that it's costing me as much for the repairs and paint job as the car cost me four years ago! :roll: Oh well, the man doing the repairs will do a good job, as he proved on the job he did on my father's 1972 Ford Cortina. He's just taking long, though - I haven't had a car in 3 weeks, and I probably won't get it until near the beginning of next week. It will probably be worth the inconvenience in the end.

EasyFeeling
06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Gosh, EL, I'm so pleased to see you're posting again - I've missed you! :hug: Okay, that's rich coming from me, since I'd also gone MIA over the last two months or so :wink:

I'm glad you've made new friends from the Thomas forum. Is he still so big in Germany as he was after he won the "Idols" contest, and has he made any in-roads abroad?

I'm so jealous that you (and others on The Border) are going to see the Eagles "again". I wish I could say I was going to see them again! How I wish they would include South Africa in their tour!

Hi Monique :-D I've missed you too.
Yes, his tour was very successful, he's working on his second album and does a few gigs on summer festivals. But to be honest you don't hear much from him, he's not present either in TV nor in the press. Our "Idols" are having a hard time to find their place in the music business. Many German radio stations refuse to play songs of any winners from that show and it's so important to hear him in the radio IMO. I guess it all depends on his new album and the promotion for it.
You see it's totally different from how it goes in the USA where the winners get more support. Funny is the stations play all the winners from the USA but not ours. :brickwall:

When I say "again" I've meant again after 2 years LOL It's only the second time that I get to see them. And I'm looking forward to see Koala at the concert :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
06-01-2009, 08:33 AM
This is what I did yesterday! I'm proud of myself, I only used one kleenex! Larry kept singing "One down, one to go..." most of the day. Why do fathers always handle these milestones so much better than Moms.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Graduation2009002-1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/007-1.jpg

ticky
06-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Awe Willie, you're pictures and post brought tears to my eyes. Dillon looks great and so proud, as do you and Larry!
Jenni's big day is Thursday and Cliff's Mom is coming in to town for it. I only hope I can stay as cool as you! You look beautiful btw! *G*

Prettymaid
06-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Willie, congratulations on raising a fine boy - because of you and Larry he will become a fine man!

Men - they don't have an emotional bone in their body! Just kidding!!!!

You look so pretty - your hair has gotten longer since I met you!

Brooke
06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Wonderful pictures Willie! Congratulations! See, you made it! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys---just being the proud Mom. I'm hoping we will see other pics of the graduates of other Borderers or the Borderers that are grads this year.

Now we need to get thru this d*mn party on the 13th and all the orientation and funding stuff for college and I will sigh a big sigh of relief!

BTW--you're all a bunch of liars, (but I love you anyways for trying to be nice!) :hilarious: I hate pictures of myself! Remember the camera adds 50 pounds! It is 50 lbs, right? :hilarious:

Troubadour
06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Congrats from me too, Willie! You must be very proud. Thanks for sharing your pictures - you look like a really lovely family!

ticky
06-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Remember the camera adds 50 pounds! It is 50 lbs, right? :hilarious:

Absolutely.. at least.. remember that when (if?) I post pictures of myself.. AT LEAST 50!! *G*

Molly
06-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Beautiful family, tbf! Those are fun memories.

My son, Peter is a junior in college and the other day he mentioned that he might like his graduation gift to be a Harley motorcycle. :eyebrow: By the time I'm finished writing all those tuition checks, he'll be lucky if I can afford to get him a Harley t-shirt!

Brooke, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this weekend. Ditka and I are taking his 88 year old mother (God give me strength) to St. Louis for her brother's 85th birthday party (please pray for me).

We'll be driving since the MIL refuses to fly -so that's about 12-14 hours in a car with her. (where's my rosary?) :brickwall:

Mrs Frey
06-02-2009, 03:27 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Molly, you are so funny!

Mrs Frey
06-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi Monique :-D I've missed you too.
Yes, his tour was very successful, he's working on his second album and does a few gigs on summer festivals. But to be honest you don't hear much from him, he's not present either in TV nor in the press. Our "Idols" are having a hard time to find their place in the music business. Many German radio stations refuse to play songs of any winners from that show and it's so important to hear him in the radio IMO. I guess it all depends on his new album and the promotion for it.
You see it's totally different from how it goes in the USA where the winners get more support. Funny is the stations play all the winners from the USA but not ours. :brickwall:

When I say "again" I've meant again after 2 years LOL It's only the second time that I get to see them. And I'm looking forward to see Koala at the concert :thumbsup:

Isn't it strange how poor your local radio stations treat local artists. At least they're improving the situation in South Africa - our local "Idols" have always received plenty of airplay. Perhaps Thomas should consider moving abroad - it is likely then that his CD will receive airplay. You are absolutely right - airplay is vital to the success of a performer's career.

I'm still jealous that you're going to see the Eagles a second time. I've only seen them once, and it's likely that I won't see them again! :cry:

Mrs Frey
06-02-2009, 03:33 AM
This is what I did yesterday! I'm proud of myself, I only used one kleenex! Larry kept singing "One down, one to go..." most of the day. Why do fathers always handle these milestones so much better than Moms.

What lovely photos, TBF! Congratulations to your son. You look very pretty and glamorous!

sodascouts
06-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Playing catch-up - this thread's been hoppin'!

AG2005: Hope your ankle feels better soon!

melrose: So sorry to hear about your car accident! Hope you feel better soon, too.

Peek: Good luck finding a new car. Your story about your niece is absolutely precious!

EF: Sorry to hear Thomas isn't getting the respect he deserves.

Willie: LOVE the photos of you, Larry, and Dillon! What a proud day.

Molly: Yikes. Good luck keeping your sanity!

EasyFeeling
06-02-2009, 10:39 AM
What nice photos, TBF and congrats to your son :)

Playing catch-up - this thread's been hoppin'!

Soda, for me it's impossible to catch up the last months :lol: I only hope no one has to deal with really serious problems in life :grouphug:

MF, Thomas could do this, the only problem is it seems he wants to sing songs in his native language in the future :lol:

Koala
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM
TBF, nice pics, congratulation to your son!

EasyFeeling
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Koala, I'm 11 posts too late :lol: Congrats :thumbsup: You joined this year, unbelievable :shock:

Koala
06-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Koala, I'm 11 posts too late :lol: Congrats :thumbsup: You joined this year, unbelievable :shock:
Thanks, I have befor and after work a bit of time and I spend that with pleasure here!:)

Mrs Frey
06-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Thanks, I have befor and after work a bit of time and I spend that with pleasure here!:)

That sounds like me, Koala. I need to start work in a few minutes, so I'm here (actually, I should've started already :blush:). I get in at lunchtimes, tea breaks, and sometimes after work, although I'm usually still working or have to get home to meet an exercise or band commitment. Ah, the choices we have to make in life... :wink:

Fan_For_Life
06-03-2009, 06:31 AM
I have new roomates. Not so sure how long this will last.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM

TBF looks a little familiar:wink:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/housefan19913/4732_88596098500_803948500_1774979_.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/housefan19913/069_69.jpg

TimothyBFan
06-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Sabrina--You look pretty darn happy there! Looks like you had a pretty large class. Dillon had about 160 in his class. Are you ready for the next step?

And Good Luck to Jenni (Ticky's daughter) today!! It's her big day and I hope we see some pics there also. Good luck to Rhonda and Cliff!! You made it... And remember in the infamous words of Larry (and Yes) One Down, One To Go! :thumbsup:

MikeA
06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Don't have anyone graduating on my home front this year, but last night was KILLER...almost literally! Miles' 3rd birthday party was held at a place called "Pump It Up". They had all these "Air Toys" that you jump on, slide on and injure yourself on! Miles' and all the rest of us kids LOVED IT. And some of us are paying for it this morning:

That's my wife in the white pants! They should have rules that "no one over 12 years old allowed!" Oh my aching back! And elbows, and knees and head! But it was fun to act like a 10 year old (or 3 year old!) again.

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2009_0603b/jun03b010.jpg

DonFan
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Congrats on the graduation, TBF!

Mike, looks like you & your wife are having too much fun on that slide!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
06-04-2009, 04:55 PM
i was pretty happy i wanted out of there (even though there are some people there i will mill a lot). Yeah i am ready for college i went and picked my classes yesterday. There was about 430 in my class thats why it was outside.

TimothyBFan
06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Mike-I love the look on Verna's face! :hilarious: Looks like it was a great time!

MikeA
06-05-2009, 08:04 AM
We hadn't done anything like that for 20 years at least! It was a good time though every muscle in our poor old bodies was hurting the next day! Thank God my F-I-L and M-I-L didn't try any of the apparatus! Well, that's not entirely correct. Clair (my FIL) did climb up and sit in the King's Throne for a picture.

Brooke
06-05-2009, 10:08 AM
That is too funny Mike! Verna's gonna kill you for posting that pic!

Happy Birthday to Miles!

ticky
06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Okay, Graduation was wonderful but crazy! soo many people! and in doors during a THUNDERSTORM! that explains my hair. *G* There will be more pics later, but we're on our way to a luncheon cruise down the Willamette river! There will be pictures of that too *G* for now, here's Sarah, me, Jenni, Jenni's friend Aiesha and My MIL Sue.
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/grad1.jpg

EagleLady
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Ah what a lovely photo Rhonda, you all look great

TimothyBFan
06-05-2009, 01:08 PM
You all look very happy there Rhonda. I can't wait to see the other pics.

Hope you have lots of fun today on your cruise.

Brooke
06-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Lovely Rhonda! And congrats to Jenni! Have a fun day on your cruise!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Wonderful pictures looks like you guys had a good time

Prettymaid
06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, we finally get to see your cute self. Now I can put a face with all of that weirdness (I mean that in a good way - really!)

Congrats on getting Jenni through high school. She's a cutie too!

Troubadour
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
What a lovely photo, Rhonda! Glad you all had a great day. Congrats to Jenni!

Mike - I can't see your photo! Is it just me?

Prettymaid
06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I can see it.

Glennsallnighter
06-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Congratulations to Dillon, Sabrina and Jenni! You all look fantastic, as do proud parents Rhonda, Willie and their respective families. I hope all the Highschool Graduates have a wonderful future ahead of them. Remember in the words of a famous singer and songwriter

'Its Your World Now,
Use Well Your Time,
Be Part of Something Good,
Leave Something Good Behind.......'

Mike! Verna looks scared stiff.......but I bet she had a good time!

MikeA
06-06-2009, 07:39 AM
What a lovely photo, Rhonda! Glad you all had a great day. Congrats to Jenni!

Mike - I can't see your photo! Is it just me?

This happened once before. I think you might check to see if you are logged in properly Lou. I can't recall the details, but that comes to mind.

But you can go to:

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2009_0603b/2009_0603b.html

and see all those pics from Pump It Up.

Fan_For_Life
06-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Don't have anyone graduating on my home front this year, but last night was KILLER...almost literally! Miles' 3rd birthday party was held at a place called "Pump It Up". They had all these "Air Toys" that you jump on, slide on and injure yourself on! Miles' and all the rest of us kids LOVED IT. And some of us are paying for it this morning:

That's my wife in the white pants! They should have rules that "no one over 12 years old allowed!" Oh my aching back! And elbows, and knees and head! But it was fun to act like a 10 year old (or 3 year old!) again.

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2009_0603b/jun03b010.jpg

That is too cute. Thanks for sharing this. Looks fun.

ticky
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Okay, yesterday we went on a lunch cruise down the willamette river. It was really cool. The food was wonderful and the view was spectacular. Here's the boarding portrait of us...
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/spirit1.jpg

and here's Sarah and I
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/rhondasarah1.jpg
(not my favorite picture)

here's the rest of the photo album on FB...
Spirit of Portland Lunch tour photo album (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27259&id=1145190649&l=2cee74f3e7)

The weather wasnt great but the ship was beautiful and it wasnt cold. We had a great time!

EagleLady
06-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Aww Rhonda you all look so happy and wonderful! Glad you had a good time

Prettymaid
06-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the pictures and the captions Ticky. Your lunch and dessert looks scrumptious!

melrose
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Congrats to all the Borders with graduating seniors! The pictures look great and am glad to hear that everyone had a good time. I remember graduation being a very fun and exciting time that, unfortunately, went by too quickly. Again, I send my congrats to all the seniors that made it across that stage!

Thank you to everyone who has wished me luck recovering from my accident. Things have been very stressful the last two weeks with therapy taking up most of my time. The rest of my time is spent dealing with insurance people :brickwall: and looking for a new car. Needless to say, I'm trying to keep my sanity intact :hilarious:

eaglesvet
06-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Ahh, Pump it Up! Both my boys have had birthday parties there within the last few years. And I do agree, it's loads of fun for the kids, and way easy for the parents! I have to admit, I made sure I wasn't in any of the "action shots" like Verna was...

I've got a graduate this year too...from 4th grade! Graham is moving up, out of elementary school, to join his bro in middle school next year. His ceremony is not until June 18. Lots of fun activities for the 4th grade class this month, though. From the Bronx Zoo class trip, to Field Day, to the Pool Party, etc, etc...who's learning anything in June?? In fact, that's a big part of why I have been missing from the Border. I'm a homeroom mom, and am involved in planning and participating in all of the above and more. (Actually, way more--since I'm a homeroom mom for my 7th grader as well.) I'm barely keeping it all together for these 2 grades in these last few weeks, but at least it's fun stuff!

I've mentioned the following event before in this thread, a couple months ago. Tomorrow, Sunday, is the big fair that I've been planning with a few friends at the elementary school...the Bedwell Boardwalk. It's our 4th and final year chairing this event, and we're goin' out with a bang! The weather looks to be beautiful...partly sunny and 80; and as far as we can tell, everything is going to go perfectly! All set for loads of fun...maybe this year, we can actually relax and enjoy a bit of the festivities, instead of running around crazily like we usually do!

And I remember that Sunday is the same day that Lou is going to be in a Walkathon for a worthy cause of some note...hopefully she continued to train and is in great shape to log in those miles! Good luck!

Troubadour
06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
EV, I meant to make a post last night, but I was exhausted! I remembered your Boardwalk was this Sunday... I hope everything goes really well and that you all have a wonderful time. I'm sure everyone appreciates the hard work you put in.

Unfortunately I'm not taking part in the walk this time around. I feel awful (especially because you guys were so supportive!) but, in all honesty, the training kind of fell by the wayside with the excitement of planning my Oklahoma trip, and I think I'd probably be setting myself up to fail if I attempted it now! Also, my mum really wants to do it with me, but she broke her ankle a year or so ago and it's been giving her some problems lately - she needs to build it up a lot more before she can even try 26 miles. So, I apologise to you guys for letting you down - but rest assured that it is still something I am focused on doing and that I'm going to work as hard as possible to make sure that I am prepared to do it the next time around. There are a few other (shorter) walks that go on around here, so I can partake in those as part of training, and hopefully raise a bit of cash for other good causes in the meantime.

Mike - I can see your photo now! Priceless! I had a few internet problems the other night, so it probably just had difficulty loading when I first tried.

Rhonda - thanks for all the photos, they're lovely! Looks like you had a great time.

Koala
06-07-2009, 08:54 AM
This are lovely pics, ticky, itīs look like you had a good time!
EV I hope everything goes well and you and they others have a nice time!

TimothyBFan
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
As if I don't have enough going on right now in my life, Larry threw another pot in the fire yesterday. I came home from grocery shopping, opened the door with hands full of bags only to come face to face with a HUGE dog! Larry and Katie were standing behind him with guilty looks on their faces. Seems my husband had found him wondering around in the street and on the railroad tracks and people were swerving to get around him. Larry made it around him and a half mile up the road, stopped in the CVS parking lot to "think" about it and said he just "had to" go back and get him out of the traffic. I guess Larry opened his truck door and the dog came right up to him, tail wagging and ended up jumping into the truck and sitting down as if to say "let's go home". This poor thing is all skin and bones, has some skin issues, cuts scrapes that haven't been taken care of. Is very mild mannered and friendly. Him and Pickles are getting along great and he backs away from the cats every time he gets anywhere close to one. In looking at him closer, I believe that he is very young, a year or less, and is probably going to get even bigger. I think he's a Husky mix, possibly Beagle? He has a Husky face but the markings of a Beagle. I called the vet this morning to see if anyone had called about a lost dog. No one had, but I told her I wasn't surprised because I don't believe he's been taken care of and we would love to keep him. Her advice to us was to NOT advertise that we found him if we think he's been neglected and keep him if we want to take care of him.

Long story short, he has a vet appointment on Thursday to have him checked out. Looks like we have a new family member. We just have to come up with a name. I will get some pics later and post them. Maybe one of you can come up with something.

Another thing I find very strange tho is that he has yet to make ANY sound. NOTHING! No bark, no grunt, no growl, nothing! Eva, maybe you can shed some light on that! Wouldn't we hear something? Also believe he has been in a house or had some training some where along the line because he is so well behaved and has not had an accident yet. Good Boy so far!

Prettymaid
06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Willie, I think you left something out in the middle of the story. :D I got the impression at the beginning that you weren't very happy when you saw this dog in your house. But at the end you seem to have accepted it with no problem. Did the conversation with the vet help you decide or did you already want to keep him?

ticky
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
*G* Sounds like you have a new dog, Willie *G* and he sounds like a sweetheart! You're a rock of jello! (Im the same..ala our newest cat.. )
I hope the vet gives him a clean bill of health and he stays a sweetheart. Congrats!

TimothyBFan
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
OH PLEASE---I wanted him the minute I sat eyes on him--as I do EVERY animal I ever meet! I am one of the hugest animal lover you will ever meet. My father told my husband before we were married, "to love my daughter is to love every critter she will ever bring home, and she will bring lots of them home." and he does and I have. But the last 3 animals that come into our house have all been brought home by Larry. This is a man that always told me that he didn't care much for animals but yet the week we moved in to our first apartment together, we went and picked out not 1 but 2 cats and within 2 weeks of moving into our house after we bought it, he brought home a Chow Chow puppy one night and surprised me.

It was funny yesterday, if I heard it once, I heard it 3 dozen times, "I just didn't know what else to do." Told him he knows I would of done the same thing!

I just posted a pic of him in the Petmania thread---HELP US NAME HIM!! :hilarious:

MikeA
06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I just posted a pic of him in the Petmania thread---HELP US NAME HIM!! :hilarious:

I'd name him "New Kid In Town" and call him "Kid or Kido" (or Johnny [come lately]).

Molly
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, Willie! How exciting! Congratulations on your new "furbaby"!

We're still waiting for ours-but now that I'm back from my 4 day trip to hell, I plan on stepping up the search.

Eva would probably have a better explanation for the quietness thing -but, I recall when we first brought Layla home from the shelter, days went by before she made any sound at all. We joked that we should take her back coz her bark was broken. Within a week, as she grew more comfortable with us and with her new surroundings, she started to show her personality and we heard a few barks and yips! She always was a pretty quiet girl, though, which was great! Enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts!

sodascouts
06-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Sorry I've been so scarce lately guys - lots going on! I have an unexpected houseguest for the week and I also have an interview coming up on Thursday for a job in Ft. Wayne. May pan out, may not, we'll see, but with all the distractions it's hard to find time to visit the Border! Things should get back to normal next week!

Mrs Frey
06-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Great to see you posting, Soda - good luck with your job interview.

I see I've missed quite a bit over the last few days. Lovely photos, everyone. Congratulations to all who graduated. I wish them all the best for their future plans in these difficult times.

Prettymaid
06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I've missed you Soda. I hope your interview goes the way you want.

Freypower
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Ditto, Soda. Good luck.

I have something to report for a change. My chicken flew the coop! Rosalind is on a two day school excursion to Canberra and is away two nights (last night was the first night). She's only ever stayed at her grandmother's place before. It's a weird feeling when this happens for the first time - and she is still only ten.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
06-10-2009, 02:30 AM
good luck Soda

Peekaboo
06-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Congratulations to all of the 2009 graduates as well as to the proud parents of those grads. Loved all of the grad pics that were posted. Those are some wonderful memories to treasure.

Willie, that was very sweet of you to take in that dog. You certainly have a soft spot for animals. I'm still debating on whether or not I should get a dog myself. I'd love to have one but I don't think a dog would have much fun living in my apartment, it's a little small for a dog.

Lou, although you don't get to participate in the walk this time around, I think it'll make it enough more special for you when you and your mom get to do it together. It'll make for a great mother/daughter memory for you both to treasure. You said that you missed out on some of your training for that walk but you gotta admit that it was worth it to see Don in the flesh, er uh, I mean in concert.

Best of luck to you, Soda, on your job interview. I'm sure that it will go great. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
06-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Ditto, Soda. Good luck.

I have something to report for a change. My chicken flew the coop! Rosalind is on a two day school excursion to Canberra and is away two nights (last night was the first night). She's only ever stayed at her grandmother's place before. It's a weird feeling when this happens for the first time - and she is still only ten.

FP, I hope Rosalind comes back with excitement and happy memories from her first trip. Also I hope you enjoyed your own time while she was away.

Brooke
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear from you Soda. We've missed ya! Good luck with the job interview.

Fp, enjoy your vacation, too!