Michael Jackson

Beach Boys

Aretha Franklin

Bob Dylan

Janis Joplin

MikeA

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Band Round #4 Final FiVE

I did the summary of most of the bands last round. I'm curious on how those voting would sum up the Stones and Zeppelin's contribution to music in just a few sentences. I'd like some opinions on them.

I'd also love to hear anything about the top ten anyone wants to reiterate or add. I need perspectives other than my own. I think I have my top five, but it never hurts to have others input before coming to a conclusion.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Maybe you missed this back in round 2, I think.

Now, let me make my case for the Rolling Stones. From Wikipedia:

24 studio albums
    9 concert albums
    Sold 200 million albums worldwide

The songwriting team of Jagger/Richards.

Sticky Fingers (1971) began the list of 8 consecutive #1 albums.

The album Aftermath, released in 1966 contained the almost 12 minute long Going Home, the 1st extended jam on a top selling rock & roll album. Later, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and other 60's and 70's bands would release long jams routinely.

They made one of the 1st 'purpose-made' promotional film clips (music video) with the 1966 single, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

There's lots more technical stuff, but the above made the most sense to me.

Ground breaking? Innovative? I think so.

And...they never quit! They're like the energizer bunny!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Elvis Presley

Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Chuck Berry

Jimi Hendrix

Okay, LTLH....

Bob Dylan: He demonstrated to the artists of the early days of Rock that songs didn't have to be about fast cars, big waves, first love, or something else "safe" from general Establishment criticism. He wrote about things that really mattered during the 1960's and caught the attention of malcontents. His following might very well have been the first "underground" following. I never did care for his "voice" but man, could Dylan put meaningful lyrics together and certainly wasn't afraid to incur the rath of the powers that be! He more than anyone else, unleashed the scope of lyrical content. And, he reached those who would become the Activists of the day as well as the musicians struggling to define themselves. Bridging the gap between Folk primarily and the Pop music, he showed us that Music was just Music and it was the content that mattered. His major influence was on the Songwriters of course.

Hmmm, that's more than a sentence isn't it LTLH.

Let me start again:

Dylan: Revolutionized Songwriting.

Zeppelin: Starting out with Blues as a basis, they developed a unique style that was not only very popular, but launched what would become Metal as a genre. My favorite of theirs was not "Stairway" but rather "Battle of Evermore".

Hendrix: Well shoot! One sentence? Redefined guitar as an instrument and did things with the Studio after recording that pretty much defined how recordings should sound during the day. Also introduced effects pedals during performances. That's as far down as I can cut comments on Hendrix and it leaves so much OUT.

Presley: He did help maybe more than anyone other than Chuck Berry, break the racial barriers in the 50's by crossing boundries. But it was more than just racial barriers, he broke the rules separating Gospel, Blues, Country and Sock-hop and came up with a totally different sound for the listeners. I don't know what it should be called, maybe "Rock & Roll"? Sort of? Maybe?

Chuck Berry: "THE" mold breaker. An original "outlaw". Introduced White Music to Blacks, and introduced Black Music to Whites. He put it all together during a time when there was no common ground between Blacks and Whites and did it with a sound that inspired so many new acts to follow that it became a standard that IS called Rock and Roll. Popular? In his day YES. But more importantly, primitive as his sound was, it was the undisputed foundation for what would be come THE "Everlasting Sound". So far anyway.

Stones: Probalby the "model" Brit Blues band. They sort of defined the "Bad Boy" image...wild, unruly, nonconformists...the antithesis of the Beatles who formed the other side of the Brit Invasion when both groups were gaining popularity in the Early Sixties. Kind of funny that eventually the Beatles also followed the lifestyle set by the Stones example <LOL> But the Stones had influence on Society during the day, exceeded only by the Beatles (in my humble opinion anyway).

Joplin: This one is tough for me to say, but influence-wise, it's hard to state. She was a high soprano in the church choir back in Texas, but seldom or never used that voice in performances. She mimicked the sound of her idol Etta James...I think it was James that she heard performing in Louisiana. She was a White Girl belting out Blues like no other White chick had ever done. She was one of the original "Flower Children" of the Haight Ashbury crowd that included the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, but her sound was unique. She just MOVED people with her voice. Moved them to love or hate because there just wasn't any middle ground when it came to Janis. Probably was the cause of the popularity of "Southern Comfort" <LOL> and unfortunately, heroine as well. But she could sure wail the Blues! While I'm not sure that she should be in consideration for most influential for Music Culture, she is way up there in the Top Of The List in singers who influenced ME back in the late Sixties. One of the few Blues artists who was really doing anything at that time.

Beach Boys: I think that Brian Wilson pretty much defined, along with Jimi Hendrix, what could be done in the Studio after the recording and before release (Production). Brilliant songwriter! Introduced technical harmonies that up until their releases of Pop music, hadn't really been done successfully. And like it or not, the BB's were the major contention in America at least, for the Beatles though they fed off of each other as the two monster groups of the day with a third being the Stones.

I'll leave Michael Jackson and Aretha for someone else to summarize. I loved Aretha though she was R&B instead of pure Blues...but that's what made her unique.

Michael Jackson, I'm sorry. I'm breaking every rule I've set for myself in objectivity. Please totally ignore this...it is MY problem. But I had to put something down because I've commented on all the others.

MikeA

The Stones have been around as long as the Beatles, unlike the Beatles they are still The Stones. This is one of the reasons I included Aerosmith on my previous list because they have managed to stay together.

I have a concert of Rolling Stone on video and have to tell you the stage presence of this band speaks for itself. The way Mick pours it out on stage is something to see.

I remember thinking this band was classic when they came to town sometime back in late 80's to The Gator Bowl Stadium(name at the time). I was just starting to appreciate songs like Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash among other great songs they've made. So to know they were in my city was very interesting but of course didn't go. I don't think there is a RS song I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_For_Life View Post
    They've been around as long as the Beatles, unlike the Beatles they are still The Stones. I have a concert of theirs on video and have to tell you the stage presence of this band speaks for itself. The way Mick pours it out on stage is something to see.

I remember thinking this band was classic when they came to town sometime back in late 80's to The Gator Bowl Stadium(name at the time). I was just starting to appreciate songs like Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash among other great songs they've made. So to know they were in my city was very interesting but of course didn't go. I don't think there is a RS song I don't like.

Don't be dissing The Beatles now

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Willie's Top 5:

Led Zeppelin
    Elvis Presley
    Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendrix
    Rolling Stones
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Elvis Presley
    Chuck Berry
    Jimi Hendrix
    Michael Jackson
    Bob Dylan
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Thanks for those comments, because really, they back up my own thougths. The Stones are on the list more for longevity than anything else. They really didn't do anything groundbreaking. They were/are a popular band. Wait, calm down, I will give credit to the first "purposeful" video. Yes, that would be a contribution... but in my mind, I guess the first video still goes to the the Doors. Now, I'm not dissing the Stones at all! Kudos to them for being around and together for over 40 years, that is an accomplishment in and of itself... to me, I guess I'm just looking for the foundation layers of the era's for "this" exercise in music history.

As for Janis, I know she wasn't the first woman out there, but boy did she lay the pavement for the women that came after her. A woman making it in a man's world... loved by both sexes. Raw. She wasn't the ladylike persona on stage most were used to...she was kinda raunchy, she redifed women in music. I dunno... she's not my style, but I can't help but give her credit for laying foundation for the ladies. I think I read that Cheap Thrills (with Big Brother) was the first album to reach #1 status with a woman singing lead.

Dylan, again, not a fan of the voice, but lyrics... who can deny what he did for songwriting. Yes, I'm repeating myself... I know, I know.

I'm still not sold on the Beach Boys either. I don't want my records overproduced, that's why I perfer live versions so much better. Heck, in person I can't sing at all, but produce me in a studio and I'd too could sound like Britney Spears.

Chuck Berry -Groundbreaking for the racial barrier aspect ... and perhaps "inventing" rock and roll?

Zeppelin - Jury is still out on them too.

Elvis - too me, he's almost the cliche here... should he win, I dunno! Yes, he did a lot to cross over genre's and swing his hips, but I'm not sure if he's going to be the clearcut winner.

Hendrix - well, no denying his guitar skills

MJ & Aretha - Not doing anything for me in the way of the top 10. If someone wants to try to sell me on them, I'll certainly listen.

I swear I'm talking(typing) outloud a lot during this contest!