Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

  1. #31
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    Since this started from my comment about the intro speech in Don's concerts and discussing Felder's value is still connected to it, couldn't everything from my comment onwards be removed to the new thread and the thread be titled "Don Felder concert introduction"?

  2. #32
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    Although I would never have started a new thread about it. It's not THAT important to me.I was just reacting to a video clip that was posted, so I must say I'm not fond of the idea of being the starter of a negative DF thread.

    I'm having the problem again that my posts disappear when I try to edit them. That's why I've made several posts again...

  3. #33
    Stuck on the Border WalshFan88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,920

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    And Felder didn't come up with the whole intro. Glenn did the harmony guitars.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I disagree with edwardd19 about some things here, but I definitely agree about the HC writer credits. Felder's name should definitely always be first.


    Absolutely, chaim!
    -Austin-

    RIP Glenn Frey 1948-2016 - #NOGLENNNOEAGLES
    "People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time..."



  4. #34
    Stuck on the Border WalshFan88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,920

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Although I would never have started a new thread about it. It's not THAT important to me.I was just reacting to a video clip that was posted, so I must say I'm not fond of the idea of being the starter of a negative DF thread.

    I'm having the problem again that my posts disappear when I try to edit them. That's why I've made several posts again...
    I understand. If Dreamer wants to do it that way, I'm happy to be the "thread starter" with my post responding to you.
    -Austin-

    RIP Glenn Frey 1948-2016 - #NOGLENNNOEAGLES
    "People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time..."



  5. #35
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I understand. If Dreamer wants to do it that way, I'm happy to be the "thread starter" with my post responding to you.
    If the thread is going to start negatively anyway, it might as well start with my post. I was just wondering if there's any other way, because if I'd start a new thread here about Don's intro speech, I certainly wouldn't use the word "hilarious" in the first post. Perhaps if my first post had a "removed from another topic" notification...

    I still feel the same way I wrote about Felder years ago when we discussed the book and subsequent interviews, but made a promise (to people here and to myself) to tone it down, because I agreed that a Don Felder forum should be above all positive. I will still say if some new things concerning Don irritate me, but starting a whole new thread about negative stuff is not what I'd like to do.

  6. #36
    Stuck on the Border Delilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Long road south out of Cass County
    Posts
    3,714

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardd19 View Post
    i am not trying to bash on Henley or Frey, like i said before, im a huge fan of the eagles, if not a die-hard fan. I love the eagles, from bernie to randy, to glenn and tim, i love them all.
    edwardd19, if you love the different line-ups of the classic band era and appreciate most if not all the members, then you are a indeed a die-hard fan. Welcome to the club!

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardd19 View Post
    im just trying to defend Felder, after i saw several comments about his concerts and little speeches that he gave during his concerts.
    You are free to speak your mind, of course, but Felder really doesn’t need to be defended. There have been so many attacks against him and many of them have long grown old and stale. I’m with KingWalsh in that I prefer not to get sucked into the debate about Felder’s dealings with the Eagles. People are going to disagree about his value to the band. And like Randy said, “right or wrong, what’s done is done.”

    Felder, like many of us, has moved on. He seems to be happy, healthy and against the odds, enjoying a modestly successful solo career touring and even recording. Not many lead guitarists from a 70s band can say that. I imagine he enjoys his family and being a grandfather, and he has recently found new love. Ever so often, I’ll post something in his sub-forum, knowing there is a risk it will be mocked or twisted into something negative. But it doesn’t really matter. These guys have entered their 70s and aren’t getting any younger. I prefer to celebrate them, rather than continually dwell on past grievances. That doesn’t mean if someone finds his concerts lacking they shouldn’t comment. Of course they should if they want to, this is a discussion forum. Unfortunately too often the discussion gets circled back to the same old bashing and negativity.

    It would probably amuse Felder knowing that he continues to be a hot topic many years after he left the band!

    Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

  7. #37
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA
    Posts
    19,866

    Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

    I have copied and/or moved some posts from another thread that were off-topic to this new thread. This thread is for discussing Felder's role and contributions in the Eagles.

    I appreciate the comments and opinions about whether or not to start another thread for this discussion. I am sensitive that the new thread may appear to be negative, but on the other hand I am also sensitive when people complain about going into a thread that is for videos only to be surprised to find the discussion veered into pages of totally unrelated debate. As much as I would love to avoid the negativity, the fact of the matter is that Felder is a very polarizing figure among Eagles fans.

    Personally, I have tried to avoid the discussions, but if others are interested in continuing to discuss Felder's problems within the band, then there is nothing wrong with that as long as the debate stays respectful. However, I do want to caution all participants that it is fine to express your opinion as long as it is based on facts. I know that it is a sign of the times, but please let's avoid introducing 'alternative' facts to support your position. All healthy, worthwhile debates start with a foundation of real facts.

    "People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

  8. #38
    Out on the Border
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

    I have no opinion about what may have transpired in the band with regard to personal matters. With regard to Eagles music, I think that they definitely lost the smooth guitar playing that Don provided for the band when he was fired. While Steuart is indeed an accomplished guitar player, I have never heard him get a similar tone to Don at any point post-2001. It is interesting that even on a few of the early Eagles songs, Steuart still prefers to play Felder's parts over Bernie's.

    Don still sounds mostly the same to my ear in concert during recent years; he has seemingly become slightly rougher than before, but then again, so has Joe.

    With regard to Felder's solo concerts, I have long thought that he should either start singing for real (he's not terrible on a good day to be honest; it would seem that some voice lessons could greatly improve his voice) or hire someone to play rhythm guitar and sing some songs (this would also allow Don to eliminate any backing tracks that he uses and would really allow him to have a live band much closer to the Eagles in terms of musical quality). As for the lawsuit, I have no horse in that race as I don't know what happened; apparently, it does not mean that Don and Joe are forbidden from speaking to one another, so I can only hope that they will play together in the near future.

  9. #39
    Stuck on the Border WalshFan88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,920

    Default Re: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

    I felt like this was a better place to post this. I was going to post it in response to thebagels video link they posted in the video thread but decided it was better to put it here with similar thoughts. Especially since it covers more than just what that video presented. But it's just more evidence of what I've been saying all along about Don Felder!



    Here's my response to this video:

    LOL!

    Don trying to be a showboat/showman just makes me laugh. He took every insecurity and grievance he had during his time in the Eagles and made sure that his own band with his own name would honor him as thy leader at every turn and that he would go out of his way to be an over the top out front character. Almost in a childish nananana booboo sort of way. I mean that's what "You Don't Have Me" was all about, besides the blatant narcissism. He's a freaking lead guitarist. A great one. A hero! But charismatic frontman and singer he is not. That's ok, until his ego demanded more and more attention and his entitlement got in the way of being a guitarist. For all of the talk of the diehard Felder fans (not on this forum, but just everywhere frankly) make about Glenn's attitude and ego - I think they are projecting on behalf of Don because he resembles those things.

    At least Glenn could back it up and he WAS a charismatic leader and frontman who wasn't so cringe-y. I've said it before but Don needs to get a singer and accept at the age of 73, who you are and what you aren't. Play to your strengths, don't lie to yourself. Go out there and slay that guitar and have fun. Don't spend your last few years getting back at a man who isn't even around anymore. Pettiness is Felder's game though. The other way to look at is, hey he's 73, do I really think he's going to have an awakening on his behavior and personality at his age when this has been a problem since the late 1970s at the latest? No probably not. But we can hope. Not only for us the fans but for Don too.

    A part of me wishes he could have buried the hatchet with Glenn or at least had one more face to face meeting. Not to allow him back in the band or become beer buddies but just so they could both clear the air in person. Because no one deserves to carry that crap to their graves! I don't blame Glenn for not doing so, but I think Felder needed closure and he never got it. It could have been a failure and totally non-productive, but an attempt at it might have calmed down Don's passive-aggression for Glenn that has continued after he's passed away, as we saw with the whole KCH debacle. I think he will likely carry those thoughts forever. It hurts. As a fan of both men's work. When you are writing tracks like "You Don't Have Me" and you are in your late 60s/70s, something that you'd expect from a teen or young adult, we probably shouldn't ask too much of Don for maturing or growing up at this point. That ship has sailed! I think Felder not only shot himself in the foot, but the fans who loved his work in the band. They suffered too. But in good conscience, I cannot blame our guys for saying see you later when he was trying to go for a "Wrong Beach 2.0" kind of event. Not again. The rest of the guys were getting along too good to let him be someone who could potentially break up the band a second time, especially since there was no other reasons at the time, unlike in 1980. He would have been the sole reason for breaking up the band, and they were having too much fun and frankly, making too much money during HFO to let that happen. Good call.

    And lastly, I think why this bothers me so is because I AM a Don Felder fan. Of the musician. I used to be a fan of Don the man too, but not anymore. For so many years I had blinders on and was ignoring basic facts about his personality and why he was fired from the band and why he was sued and all of that. I thought his book was verbatim truth. I thought Glenn Frey was an evil man and Don Henley a pushover who would just go with whatever Glenn says out of fear. I couldn't have been more wrong, frankly. It took a long time. Sadly, until Glenn's death. After I sat there processing Felder's remarks about Glenn and the KCH, I realized hey wait a minute, just who am I supporting here. I read and read and realized I'd had some serious blind spots in my history of the Eagles and of who was really at fault here. None of them were angels, but Glenn was not the devil I had publicly made him out to be. And Don was not this helpless little victim who got wronged at every turn. It bothered me too because I still loved Don's influence on my life and guitar playing. He and Joe are quite possibly, frankly the reason I'm even still alive at this point. Hotel California singlehandedly changed my life. And nothing Don does can change that or my gratitude. But I don't have to be blind about it either. I can love the man's music without liking him as a person. I can still push for him to be better. Be the role model I know he can be. I will never say he isn't anything but a masterful guitarist and an excellent writer of guitar parts. But I've been so very disappointed in him as a person. The more I hear of him the more sad it makes me.

    Not only did Don lose out on playing with the guys ever again when he was fired, but he also made it so his fans could never see him up there with that Gibson doubleneck on an Eagles stage ever again. I never could see him with the band I love so dearly. If he truly had been mistreated, I would have gladly continued to believe so and call out any real injustices. But I feel like Felder fans were also cheated out of something, not just Don himself. But not by Frey and Henley, but by Don Felder himself. That's the part that kills me. I will always support the music and sing his praises on his talent. But I will always tell the truth on him as a person and as I see it. And I'd like to think that with time, this too will pass and he will heal and get over the hurt and realize his share of the mistakes. It probably won't happen, but I'm remaining optimistic because I believe he can do it and I owe that much to him to encourage him to heal. And I'd hope the same for every Felder fan out there, including the ones who feel he was never at fault. I hope that in time you will realize that Glenn wasn't a monster and Don was not a perfect victim who got a raw deal. They all made mistakes, especially in the 70s, but Don never grew up. It hurts to say, believe me. But it is what it is.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 05-28-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    -Austin-

    RIP Glenn Frey 1948-2016 - #NOGLENNNOEAGLES
    "People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time..."



  10. #40
    Stuck on the Border
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,868

    Default Re: Discussion about Felder's contributions in the Eagles

    Austin, years certainly go by. I don't remember you as a Glenn basher and Don F supporter. I wonder if we had heated debates back when I didn't hold anything back when criticising Mr. Felder. 😂

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •