Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: London, England 03-26-08

Default London, England 03-26-08

Sainted Aunt.

This is from both WM and myself.

We're shattered. We just got back, changed out of our gladrags into our jammies and came here!!!!

First WM says "hello!!!" and misses you all like crazy.

Second Toonie says "Why do I have to do all the typing?"

WM "Because you're the one sitting on the computer chair"

Toonie "Oh yeah....."

Anyway...The concert was fabulous. Unfortunetly, there was no Rocky Mountain Way or All She Wants to Do is Dance, there were technical faults which took time to sort out and they were late coming on stage which meant time was short.

The suits were same as always, Joe had slicked hair (boo) which ended up floppy (yay). Glenn enjoyed a lot of banter with the audience, band members and backing band. Don was very charming and funny. Joe was his usual wonderful, crazy self. Timmy was generous to the audience as usual and looked fantastic, as did they all.

The sound didn't seem to great tonight, maybe it was where we were sitting, but a few of the songs sounded a little tinny and Boys of Summer sounded really fast. Their voices were top notch and the music was terrific. We especially enjoyed the little competition between Glenn and Joe before Funk 49. Joe would play a chord, Glenn would do the same one until Joe did something a little more extravagant and Glenn looked at the audience and said "huh" shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

Glenn introduced the band (a little later then normal we thought), including himself and proceeded to explain to the audience that "in Detroit mother is half a word". Before Glenn had began to speak, Elsbeth predicted that he would say it. LOL!

We were amazed by the audience throughout the concert. A significant amount of them didn't make it back to their seats after the interval. Ten minutes into the the second half people were still coming in. A lot of people around us left during Heartache Tonight, although we didn't mind as it gave us more room to dance!

Sorry its a bit sketchy but we are quite tired, but felt we had to write something straight away! If we can think of anymore we'll write tomorrow.

One last amusing note before we go... on the tube home, a bloke sat opposite us and said he saw us at the concert. He said we looked like we having a great time and he wanted to join us for that reason so he could let loose. He said he was amazed we knew all the words and if we were real fans we should be waiting at the stage door for autographs. LOL.

I'm glad you two had such a great time, Toonie! Sorry there was no RMW or ASWTDID, though.
    After you have rested a bit, can we have some more details? What was your favorite new song performed live? Did you get any pictures? And what did Don say that was funny & charming? He doesn't talk too much so I love to hear what he has to say.

Oh, I'm so happy for you, Toonlass and WM!

I can imagine how tired and drained you must have been feeling after the concert, because of your intense excitement (which is why I needed a few days to compose my review), but thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings with us. It's a pity that your show was shorter because of the technical difficulties, but it's great that the boys were so loose and relaxed, especially Glenn and Don. The Detroit joke is hilarious!

It's certainly true that a band feeds off an audience as much as the audience responds to a band - I speak from experience. On opening night, the boys were probably a little nervous and conscious of giving a flawless performance, knowing that there'd be sharks (reviewers such as the twit from The Guardian ) out there watching their every move, so the banter was kept to a minimum. More than that, though, the audience was reticent, and preferred to sit down, much to GA's and my discomfort. It was only during the last few songs (as I mentioned in my review) that they stood up. It's probably also for this reason that they didn't do much talking.

It's wonderful that you found a fellow fan on the tube home. GEF and I actually bumped into three American fans the following day while we were waiting at a bus station near the Hard Rock Cafe. Two of them had flown in, but they had planned to visit their American friend who lives in London. It just so happens that the Eagles were in town at the same time, so they decided to go on opening night. They were amazed that I had flown in from so far away to see the boys (and I had always thought that the States were further away from the UK than South Africa!), and we shared some thoughts about the concert. The three of them were Don fans in particular, and it was funny when I told them that GEF and I are Glenn fans, as they gave a little "Woo hoo hoo" as if it was us versus them! It was good natured, though.

It's amazing to me how people can come in halfway through a show - it's the ultimate in bad manners . In addition to that, I cannot believe that people were going home halfway through "Heartache Tonight"! I can't remember if I mentioned this in my review, but two people who had FRONT ROW tickets, sitting almost directly in front of GA, Timtot and me, came in halfway through the second half of the show! What GA and I would have given for the tickets they had, and they didn't appreciate it!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Nice to hear from you again WM, and I'm delighterd you and Toonie had such a good night. I'd have loved to hear Glenn bantering with the crowd and the boys certainly seem to have been a bit more relaxed as they finished their London dates for the moment.

TT and I also met some fans on our last tube home. Needless to say TT regaled them with our experiences while I just basked in the memory of my Glenn tact.

MF I totally agree with you. Unless there is a very genuine reason (and sometimes they can be unavoidable) it is extremely rude and thoughtless to leave such good seats vacant for so long.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Woohoo! Toonie and WM, thanks for that great review, and glad you had a good time. It does sound as if Glenn was in good form. I really believe they may all have been a bit nervous on the opening night, wondering how the songs from the new album would go down. Good thing GA and MF were there to encourage them!!

Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts when you've had time to recover!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Thanks Toonie and WM - we appreciate your promptness because we're all dying for details. Let's hope RMW and ASWTDID are only temporarily dropped. I remember late in the European 2006 tour those went away for good!

Thanks again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks so much for the review, toon and WM. I'm so glad you got to go and had such a wonderful time!

I would be totally bummed if I couldn't stand up and dance during a rock concert. Do these people think they are at a symphony or what?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Hear hear, Brooke!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    I would be totally bummed if I couldn't stand up and dance during a rock concert. Do these people think they are at a symphony or what?!
    That always drives me crazy, too. Unless, of course, the person in front on me is 6 1/2 feet tall. Then, I completely change my vote!

Thanks for the review, Toonie! Hope we keep hearing from you and WM -we miss you both!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Thanks for the great review. I cannot believe a lot of people left half way through Unbelievable!! What is wrong with them??????