Thread: Eagles in Steve Martin's book

Default Eagles in Steve Martin's book

I love biographies, and I am reading Steve Martin's autobiography right now called "Born Standing Up." He talks a little bit about hanging out at the Troubadour with Glenn, Don & Linda Ronstadt. He says:

"The Troubadour's regulars included Michael Nesmith, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Glenn Frey, Don Henley and all the others whose music was a siren call to a perceptive record executive named David Geffen. One week I opened the show for Linda Ronstadt: she sang barefoot on a raised stage and wore a silver lame' dress that stopped a millimeter below her panties, causing the floor of the Troubadour to be slick with drool."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason, that statement reminds me of some of our discussions on the board....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Then Steve goes on to write about this discussion with Glenn:

"One night I was lingering at the bar and talking to Glenn Frey, who was just leaving his duo, Longbranch Pennywhistle. He said he was considering a name for his new five-man group. "What is it?" I said. He said, "Eagles." I said, 'You mean, the Eagles?" and he said, "No, Eagles." The name of the group remains, of course, Eagles."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Don talked about Steve too, when he told the story behind The Sad Cafe in the booklet that accompanies Eagles--The Very Best of:

Don: "A train used to run down the center of Santa Monica Boulevard right outside the Troubadour. Steve Martin actually had a routine where he'd get the entire audience to exit the club, hop a flatcar on that slow-moving train and ride to La Cienega, a few blocks east. Then everybody would hop off and walk back down to the club together. It was something to remember. It was a wonderful time in Los Angeles. The city was alive with magic and a sense of possibility."

-----------------------------------------------------------
    That "sense of possibility" never really found Steve at that particular time, because at the end of that chapter he writes about his mixed reviews and says:

"After my closing night show at the Troubadour, the end of my latest bad review said:"Sharing the bill with Poco this week is comedian Steve Martin...his 25-minute routine failed to establish any comic identity that would make the audience remember him or his material."
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Talk about famous last words.

Thanks for typing all that up, DF! Interesting stuff. What a cool time, to be around all that burgeoning fame.

Regarding the review of Steve Martin - well - success is the best revenge!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks, DF!

I loved Steve Martin on SNL back in the early years. Just to look at him would make you laugh!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I can just see Steve and Dan Ackroyd on SNL in those flowered shirts and plaid pants, shimmying across the stage saying "We are two wiiiiiild and craaaaazy guys!"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Oh me, too, DF! They were hilarious!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for that DF! I love reading any anecdotes relating to the boys, particularly during the band's formative years. That Troubador must've been the place to be.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP