Page 58 of 73 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol

Default Re: American Idol

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Even when she wouldn't say what it was, it sounded like Ryan finally did, but did anyone hear what he said? Something about her auditionong because of someone or something like that?
    At her audition, she said she was doing it to honor the memory of her girlfriend, who had recently died of cancer. I think it was relatively recent, at the time.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

I think even Tim looked surprised that Didi left instead of him. Last night's performance notwithstanding, Didi's talent overall far surpasses anything that Tim has offered up. Obviously, he is a very likeable guy, and that is carrying him through...but that shouldn't be ousting more capable singers from their spots. And I think he even realizes that. It was tooo funny how Simon finished up his critique of Tim last night, basically saying that no matter what the judges say, Tim smiles, gets votes, and survives another week. "Job well done."

I thought Lee was amazing last night, and Andrew finally made it back to where he should have been in the last few weeks. I don't know if he can keep it up, though. Hopefully.

I had never really known much about Usher and his music before. Still not a major fan of his music; but man, is he hot to look at (especially on Tues night's show, up close and personal!)
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

EV, thanks for clearing up the Didi audition thing. She had to go sometime - it was inevitable. But before Tim???!!! Like I said above, that's like voting off Good Day In Hell before Midnight Flyer.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

This show (American Idol) confuses me. I'm not sure what the criteria is that is being used to select a winner from the contestants. I haven't watched it a lot over the past couple of years.

Is it something as artificial as "good looks"? It seems that way much of the time. Especially in the early and mid-game portions of the show. I've certainly seen contestants who made it through on something other than talent!

Is it an ability to sing on key...hit every note? I guess that is a valid criteria though it shouldn't be the ultimate criteria. It takes more that just hitting the notes....there has to be "conviction" in the performance and too much of the time, I just don't see that happening.

Is it the ability to play a musical instrument? Certainly something that this season's rules seems to be including. And that's "okay" as long as the performer really can enhance the performance with the instrument without sacrificing the vocals through a loss of concentration. Crystal exhibited a bit of that fault I thought with her piano playing at the beginning of her time on the stage. She needs to stick with the gitter and let her expression carry her through....it will!

What I don't think it should be is criteria to sing something exactly like the original artist. I personally would rather that all the music they perform be original stuff....the music that the musician would be or will be performing if they are lucky or tenacious enough to make a career out of music.

If they are forced to sing some previous "hit", then I look for originality even in that and I don't mean someone who takes every song and converts it to "beat box" on every performance (a couple of years ago, there was a guy who did that so much that I got sick of it). Reminds me of what Dilana did with Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire" on another show a few years ago. Blew me away!

I want to hear and SEE someone perform who really pours themselves into the song and makes you believe that they really mean it and that they are not "just" performing it. That's why I want to hear original material. Something that they have either written themselves or that they have selected because they feel it and want to communicate that to their audience.

The other night, I heard Crystal do that thing with "Midnight Train" and I heard Casey I think it was, doing a number. Both of those were performances that stood out for all of the reasons I've listed.

"Looks"? What has that to do with it? Maybe a little, but that's more of a "plus" if you have it but it is not a negative if you don't have it! Yesh, look at Willie Nelson....or try to <LOL>. He's for REAL. Crystal is like that too. Not that she is "homely" or anything like that, but she isn't going to make the centerfold of Playboy....yet she is herself. I didn't like what "they" encouraged her into with the heels and formal looking attire. She's a bluejeans girl with a set of pipes that can reach out and grab you.

I'm really anxious to hear her do some of her own material. Same with Casey. He can sing, swings a pretty mean ax and has something that I think is commercially viable. Lee showed signs of that too this last time that I watched.

MikeA

Shoot, I was afraid Didi would get the boot. Dang it!

Weren't they saying this was a "girl's year"?!!

Mike, there's only 1 criteria: America's favor. And each person who votes does so for a different reason.

Heck, there's a site dedicated to coalition-voting for the worst contestant! Guess who they've been voting for?

ETA: I didn't get to see her sing-out last night, and I just heard it was Rhiannon. Awwwwww!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Now, I'm gonna admit how uncool I am. I have actually never watched this show (but, in my defense, I really don't watch hardly any television at all), However, I do follow it by reading this thread. Soda, I agree what you are saying about "America's favor" being the only criteria. But do I understand correctly that the judges can overturn some of the voter's decisions? If so, I'm guessing the reason for that is to preserve the best talent. I also agree with what Pretty Maid, eaglesvet, and Mike are saying. It would be very dangerous to the show if any coalition was continuously successful in voting off the best contestants. That would undermine the show's crediblility and that would be a killer. I doubt if most of America would embrace the show if the inferior talent always prevailed. It would just become a big joke.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Why can't I generate all that hate and discontent? Do I have to spell it out> <LOL>

Seriously

I think that's why I don't watch it that much Soda. I'm well aware of that: Too many people are "voting" for cosmetics instead of talent. Not talking about those here on the forum. I'm just not a fan of American Idol, though from time to time, I do enjoy watching some of the performers and then enjoy following their careers.

But hey, if the 8-year-olds are the ones influencing the record sales, then I guess that's just the way it goes and the selection criteria is what it is.

I do wish that there was some serious process devoted to choosing an artist who had a good chance of making it in the Business on TALENT...all round TALENT both in composition, song-writing and in performance.

But WAIT: There IS such a contest! But the Eagles have already won it. I think it is called "Financial Success and Popularity as a Recording Artist/Band". But wouldn't it be cool to watch some of these guys get a jump start through some venue to which the Public was privy to witness first hand? No 'Popular Vote'. Maybe the Judges would be big time producers whose involvement with the artist would not end with the end of the TV season!

MikeA

Soda, I do remember the "Vote for the Worst" website and the Sanjaya debacle of a few years back. It had occurred to me that part of Tim's success might be attributed to them, but I had never actually clicked to check it out. Figures...although I truly think he generates a lot of votes just by being a likeable guy who is good-looking, and therefore gets the young girls to vote for him whether he can sing or not.

However, I do think that for the most part, as the final weeks draw near, the voters really do rely more on talent for their criteria...at least that has seemed to be true in the past. Otherwise, how would we have ended up with Carrie, David, Kris and Adam among the recent finalists (or 2nd placers.) Of course, that doesn't explain the occasional anomaly of a Chris Daughtry getting voted off 4th and then selling albums and concert tickets galore; or a Taylor Hicks winning and then fading into obscurity.
    ~Eva~

Although I enjoy watching the show for the singing talent and to talk about it with friends and family, it's really not that important to me in the big picture who wins. In other words, I guess I enjoy the game, the journey, more than the result. After all, I've never voted, and with three exceptions I've never purchased any Idol music. So although I say it's driving me crazy that Tim is still around, I still like the fact that the show allows America to pick, even if it means they are picking for every reason under the sun, singing talent notwithstanding.

I'm curious whether after Simon leaves I will leave with him and follow his show, stick with AI, watch both, or watch neither.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post

I'm curious whether after Simon leaves I will leave with him and follow his show, stick with AI, watch both, or watch neither.
    I'll stick with NCIS, BONES and sadly "Saving Grace" (last season).

MikeA