Page 78 of 145 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    This is a true story. The name has been changed to protect the guilty or the innocent, depending on your point of view. I'm in the former camp right now.

I have a friend, let's call him Bob. Bob is a fellow guitar player and I played in a group with his uncle. When I met him he was an older teen big into the kind of music I was. So I invited him to the house a few times to jam and try out gear he hadn't got yet. We had him up to play a couple of times and he was good.

Today he sends me this in a PM. "Guess what buddy, I've got tickets to see the Eagles tonight! I know you love them. I'm mostly excited for Vince Gill though, lol".

I wanted to reach through the computer screen and shake some sense into him. He's quite a few years younger than me but an adult now.

Now I have to wonder if he is just messing with me to get my goat, as if he somehow found out my distaste of this lineup, or if it was just a weird innocent coincidence. I'm going with the latter as I don't know how he would know about how I feel about them now, because this is the only place I share that info.

I mustered a "Have fun tonight. Congrats." I also said "I'm a diehard Glenn Frey fan but I always loved watching Joe, he's funny". Maybe he'll get the message. That was the best I could do. Buddy, if you want to see Vince Gill so dang much, you can see him solo, where he actually might shine. If you want to see the Eagles, see the freaking Eagles. Vince Gill ain't the Eagles, no matter what he might be doing right now. His voice doesn't fit and Walsh/Stu have the guitars.

He was never an Eagles fan the time I knew him, we only talk online occasionally at this point as we just drifted apart for no particular reason. Haven't seen him in a couple years. This didn't help matters much. He always tells me what he's doing that I might like, but never comments or likes or talks about what I've got going.

It just rubbed me wrong. Bad way to start a week. Ugh. Slap in the face.
    Austin, my heart goes out to you and I just want to say the way you handled this situation was very mature and dignified. Your friend "Bob" probably isn't aware of your feelings about the Eagles and perhaps there will come a time when you can share those feelings - if he is any kind of a friend he will respect your feelings and who knows -- he might just learn something.

Hang in there.

Allbest,

Dawn

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I just want to reassure folks that I am 100% opposed to this venture and will never change my thoughts/feelings. I find it to be indefensible.
    Amen Dawn, me too.

Austin, Hang in there. You were wonderful the way you handled your friend 's PM about seeing the Eagles. You did the right thing.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - Thanks for your apology, but it isn't necessary. You have already expressed regret numerous times and as I said, I think the personal attacks against you were inexcusable.

And another ditto, Dawn. I will NEVER defend the band's decision to continue no matter what arguments anyone tries to make. I believe in my core that it is WRONG!

And Austin, well done. I don't remember if I put this on the board before or not, but the day after the dates in Nashville were announced, I got a phone call from my aunt, who lives there. The first thing she said to me was "It looks like you are coming to visit me." At first, it didn't register, and I said, "I am?" And she said, "I just heard on the radio that the Eagles coming here in March." So, I had to tell her how I felt. She actually knows Vince Gill and knew that he had done the Classic shows with the band, but assumed they were one-offs. She couldn't believe it when I told her he was going on an extended tour with them. She doesn't see it as a very good fit and feels like he should take care of his solo career. Anyway, after a long conversation, she said she could understand how I felt, and we agreed that I would come to visit her soon anyway. So, I'm planning a trip next month.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I've said it before - my attitude is to just endure this until it's over. I don't have the energy to be in a constant state of outrage, although I will still react to the kind of crap we've been seeing of late, that's for sure. However, my default reaction when I hear about these shows now, like Dreamer, is sadness.

I will never recognize these men who are touring right now as the Eagles.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    “Eagles since ‘17”
    An oxymoron.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I don't think I'd have a problem telling people that I don't consider it Eagles anymore and that I personally find it ridiculous. But I might add "it's just how I feel". However, I don't have people around me who like the band (except my father) or are interested in the fact that I do.

I've had a couple of (sort of) "Austin moments" with The Orchestra. "Oh, he went to see ELO". Aaarrgghhhh.

By the way, Austin, "Bob" probably just didn't know.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well done, Austin. I feel like you all do about this, too.

I've had a couple friends on Fb post and tag me that the Eagles were going to be close by. I finally did post to one friend that it wasn't the Eagles to me since their founder was gone and I just wasn't interested seeing this version. They said they understood.

I'd agree with Chaim that they probably just didn't know.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

I read this yesterday regarding Steely Dan touring in 2018. Similarly, a founding member (Walter Becker) died.

In a September installment of Rolling Stone's Music Now podcast, Fagen admitted he would "would actually prefer to call [the group] Donald Fagen and the Steely Dan Band or something like that." He added, "We got a lot of flak from Live Nation about [not] calling it Steely Dan … To me, Steely Dan was just me and Walter."

I'm sure similar forces were at play to keep the Henley/Schmit/Walsh group that is touring now named "Eagles."

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I read this yesterday regarding Steely Dan touring in 2018. Similarly, a founding member (Walter Becker) died.

In a September installment of Rolling Stone's Music Now podcast, Fagen admitted he would "would actually prefer to call [the group] Donald Fagen and the Steely Dan Band or something like that." He added, "We got a lot of flak from Live Nation about [not] calling it Steely Dan … To me, Steely Dan was just me and Walter."

I'm sure similar forces were at play to keep the Henley/Schmit/Walsh group that is touring now named "Eagles."
    Wow, thanks LTEF, very interesting indeed.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

As far as I know Fagen continued with the dates that had alread been booked? When Glenn died Eagles had no gigs coming up so they could have just remained inactive.

More on topic...As far as I know none of the Eagles have expressed anything but happiness about continuing to be "Eagles". In fact they have added two new people who seem to love performing under that name.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.