PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
11-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, these album anniversaries are just coming one after the other, aren't they? I guess a lot of albums get released now in preparation for the Christmas season.

So... Hell Freezes Over is FIFTEEN this year! Old enough to get its driver's permit! ;)

It's not so much the content of this album as what it symbolized - America's favorite band, finally coming back together again. We already talked about the TV special in another thread, but what about the album itself?

I've gotta go now, but I'll be back to write more later.

Super Frey
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
This is the only one I don't have. But Happy Anniversary HFO anyway.:birthday:

Freypower
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Of course I'm happy about the HFO album. All the songs are excellent.

HOWEVER.... I have major reservations abou the number of ballads and the distribution of lead vocals. I don't wish to harp on this, but as a reunion album I don't find it representative. I think it is tragic that the versions of Lover's Moon and Peaceful Easy Feeling, which were played, were not included.

The best track by far is Get Over It. Not only is this a Henley-Frey masterpiece but all three guitarists get to shine during it. I am also very fond of Learn To Be Still, which I consider extremely underrated, and The Girl From Yesterday, despite Felder's extremely mean-spirited comments about this song.

Koala
11-09-2009, 02:07 AM
HFO was my first Eagles album at all, so it is something very special for me!

TimothyBFan
11-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I remember when I got this at Best Buy, it was opened in my car and didn't leave it for months. I was still working out of the house at the time and had a 45 minute commute one way so it had a lot of play time. I also think this was probably the beginning of my daughters fandom. She was only 2 but I remember her singing Get Over It in the backseat on several trips. That would be the song that the 2 year old decided she had to love. :lol:

As far as the favorites on there, I have to say Get Over It (because it was something new) Pretty Maids, Girl From Yesterday, Learn To Be Still & New York Minute are probably the best. I think that would be because they are songs you don't get to hear that much.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Happy 15th Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!!!

Now, for my first post for HFO anniversary week. I'm one of those that kinda thinks of Hell Freezes Over as an 'event' rather than an album, DVD, or MTV special. Whenever I hear it mentioned, the first thing that comes to my mind is always happy thoughts of 'the resumption' - yeh!!! How lucky we are that the band is still together 15 years later rather than the 'temporary' resumption that was originally planned.

As far as the album itself, I like all four of the 'new' tracks. I also wish they had included The Best of My Love, Lover's Moon, and Peaceful Easy Feeling on the CD. That version of PEF really makes me SWOON - it is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Troubadour
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Love the board style, Soda! I might leave it like this for a while longer...

Hell Freezes Over (the MTV show) was where it all started for me, so any kind of representation of this starts me sighing and swooning! I think the album is fantastic. I agree that Peaceful Easy Feeling and Lover's Moon should have made it on to the CD, and I can understand the desire for more Glenn, but this was the thing that turned me on to Don, turned me on to the Eagles, and I can't help but love every second of it.

The Girl From Yesterday is beautiful, as is Learn To Be Still (totally agree that it's underrated, Fp). Get Over It just brings a smile to my face. Such attitude! Previous posters are right - this whole album, and especially that song, has a real "We're Back." feel to it. And we love it! :mrgreen:

Scott
11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Happy 15th Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!!!

Now, for my first post for HFO anniversary week. I'm one of those that kinda thinks of Hell Freezes Over as an 'event' rather than an album, DVD, or MTV special. Whenever I hear it mentioned, the first thing that comes to my mind is always happy thoughts of 'the resumption' - yeh!!! How lucky we are that the band is still together 15 years later rather than the 'temporary' resumption that was originally planned.

As far as the album itself, I like all four of the 'new' tracks. I also wish they had included The Best of My Love, Lover's Moon, and Peaceful Easy Feeling on the CD. That version of PEF really makes me SWOON - it is absolutely gorgeous!!!

All of these songs plus "One of These Nights" is included in the unreleased album "The Eagles-Second Night Unplugged" which includes banter, rehearsals and is A+ sound quality. It's hard to come by, but it is out there.

Lisa
11-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Happy Anniversary, Hell Freezes Over!

I remember the reunion tour, expecially. When the "Hell Freezes Over" album and television special were out, I couldn't believe that the Eagles were finally going to be back together again. I was happy to be able to go to see them in concert!

eaglesvet
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
This is the tour when I realized how much I missed the Eagles music, and how HSG our boys were! I remember being on the field at Giants Stadium (pretty decent seats), and being in absolute awe of Glenn:heart: in particular--but the others as well! Prior to HFO, I think I was a bit too unaware of the individual musicians for whatever reason...my loss.:sigh: And to hear that music sound so great...heaven!!:band:

11-13-2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't had a chance to post much in this thread this week, but I do want to comment on the four original new songs that were included on the album. I liked them all, and thought they did a great job in showcasing the band's diversity. I love Learn To Be Still and agree that it is very underrated. Of course, I would have loved to have had more new tracks, and was disappointed that nothing from Joe was included.

sodascouts
11-15-2009, 12:04 AM
As HFO week comes to a close, I thought I would make some comments on the album.

Overall, as was said before, this album was more about the reuniting of the Eagles than about the music itself in many ways. They did put four new songs on there; I always wondered why Don got two leads and Joe got none, but oh well. Maybe since this was put together rather quickly, he didn't have anything ready for them.

Get Over it - Sometimes Glenn and Don talk this one down, and I don't know why. I love it. Catchy and funny, giving a message without bring preachy, I consider this a great song. Smokin' guitar solo too!

Love Will Keep Us Alive - Some call this schmaltzy and sickeningly sweet; I call it quite pretty. A very nice song with lovely harmonies, and the biggest hit off of the album.

Girl from Yesterday - not my favorite of Glenn's songs - it kind of drags - but he does sell the vocal.

Learn to Be Still - I honestly find this song kind of boring, but it's pleasant enough, I suppose. If we had to get rid of one to make room for a Joe song, this one would be my pick to go.

Notable live stuff:

Hotel California - while not as good as the rockin' version, the acoustic version at least offered something a bit different.

Pretty Maids All in a Row - OH MY GOSH, gorgeous.

New York Minute - Eh, OK, but... will someone please explain to me why this was on here instead of the Eagles' brilliant version of Heart of the Matter???

The Last Resort - Though I don't like the song, I thought it was very cool of them to perform a song that they'd never done live before (that I know of). Very well-arranged and well-sung.

GLARING omissions:

PEACEFUL EASY FEELING - Listen to it here (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/PeacefulEasyFeelingHFOOuttake94.mp3) and then join me in wondering why they left off of the album (and the video) this amazing version of the song - the best live version of the song I've ever heard.

Heart of the Matter - see my comment in "New York Minute."

Seven Bridges Road - a sonic masterpiece.

And... MORE GLENN, period. I don't think it's unfair to say that he should get more than three leads, especially when there was room for a Don solo song. (This is even more true for the video). Besides PEF, they could've used Heartache Tonight at least. That one brings the house down.

Understandable omissions from both the album and special:

Lover's Moon - lovely, but not really recognizable to most and there were already enough slow songs.

Best of My Love - I adore this song, but I think it the arrangement didn't really work. Listen to it here (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/bomlhfosecondnight.mp3) and see if you agree.

Freypower
11-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Soda, I completely agree with you. HOTM should have been on the album, not NYM. But they didn't do Seven Bridges Road. The audio version on the DVD is the Eagles Live version.

Glenn is as usual horribly underrepresented. I see now that in the current setlist he sings 8 songs to Don's 12 (or 7 to 11 if BBF and Somebody are omitted).

sodascouts
11-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Here we go - our next album anniversary - that of Hell Freezes Over! The resumption album hit stores 16 years ago today.

Wow. Time flies!

WalshFan88
11-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!!!!! A great album that means a lot to me for obvious reasons - their reunion and also the new songs.

Koala
11-08-2010, 02:19 AM
Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!
WOW, 16 years ago! I can't belive!This album accompanies me so already my half a life!
I really love this album! I believe I have so often heard it, as no other Eagles album,
however, is also not difficult, it was for years my only album of them.It is very special for me!

luvthelighthouse
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
When I get home, I'm gonna have to give this CD a listen. I love that the guys were able to bring it all back together to make wonderful music once again! Just seeing The Border's Background wallpaper makes me smile! They all look so good and happy...

11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
It really is unbelievable that it has been 16 since hell froze over. What was intended as a one-time resumption tour is still alive and kicking. I think its safe to say that most of of us here are pretty happy about that! :wink:

Brooke
11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Most definitely! Wow, 16 years already! Love this album, too! :thumbsup:

Shadowland07
11-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow 16 years!!! I remember being 4 years old and my mom yelling at me to come into her bedroom and seeing the Eagles (for the first ever) perform "Hotel California" on the MTV special. Before then, I'd only heard them drivin around with my Dad when we used to live in L.A. It wasn't until I was 13 that I got the DVD for Christmas (along with The Very Best Of album). "Get Over It" is my favorite song off this album :thumbsup:

EaglesFanatic
11-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Happy anniversary HFO! I don't have this album, but I do love the songs on it!

jdubfan
11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I remember how excited I was to get some "New" Eagles music. I was so happy to see them together again and making music.

11-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I was listening to Hell Freeze Over today and it reminded me how much I love the song Learn To Be Still. It's one of those Eagles' songs (along with The Girl From Yesterday) that I don't hear too much because it I honestly don't play the CD that often. I like all four of the new tracks on the album, but Learn To Be Still is very underrated, IMHO. I rate it right in the mix with Get Over It and Love Will Keep Us Alive. Although Glenn's voice is absolutely gorgeous on The Girl From Yesterday, it is probably my least favorite of the four - mainly because it's a little too country for my taste. I thought I'd post this and see what some of you others think since these songs don't get that much discussion. So what say you? ...

TimothyBFan
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree with you Dreamer regarding Girl From Yesterday--great song but my least fave of the 4 new ones.

I remember watching HFO the first time and instantly loving Get Over It and it's remained my favorite of the 4 new songs on HFO. I would say Learn To Be Still would probably be my second fave. I know it's probably surprising to hear me say Love Will Keep Us Alive was kind of a disappointment the first time I heard it, don't really know why. I think it might be because I didn't find it as dynamic, as I expected it to be, as I Can't Tell You Why? But it's grown on me over the years.

Prettymaid
11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
1. Love Will Keep Us Alive - Beautiful melody, gorgeous vocal by Timothy and great guitar work.

2. Learn To Be Still - A very close second, perhaps squeezed out only because it's not played in concert regularly like LWKUA is.

3. Get Over It - I like it - it's got high energy and a great message, but there are no famous Eagles harmonies. :-(

4. The Girl From Yesterday - I agree with Dreamer and TBF - a little too country for my taste and a bit of a snoozer. When watching the DVD this is the part where I usually leave the room to get a snack. :wink:

GlennLover
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I love The Girl From Yesterday. I'm not a fan of Country & Western per se, but I don't find that TGFY is too C&W for my taste. I love Glenn's voice in the song, full of emotion.The words move me (although I can't figure out why). I especially like the double meaning of the line "how someone who had been so close, could be so far away".

I think TGFY ties with Get Over It as my favourite of the 4 songs. It really rocks! It depends on what king of mood I'm as to which would be the favorite at any given moment.

LTBS & LWKUA would tie for 3rd place. It's a shame that LTBS isn't played more. Just MHO.

tequila girl
11-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I can't tell you why.........

....but from the 4 "new" songs my favs are

1. Learn to be still
2. The Girl from Yesterday
3. Love will keep us alive
4. Get over it

GlennLover
11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
It's interesting how different the songs are rated by each person.

Lest we forget
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/x19556446-1.jpg

sodascouts
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
My ranking:

1. Get Over It
This song rocks - great guitar parts, fast-moving beat, belting out those clever and funny lyrics at the speed of light, catchy melody - love it!

2. The Girl from Yesterday
I saw the show on MTV and back then, before I really even had an appreciation of the Eagles, Glenn's impassioned vocals struck me. I also like the harmonies. However, I do think it's very country (as Glenn himself states), so I understand why that can turn some folks off. At the time he was considering doing a country album.... my how things change!

3. Love Will Keep Us Alive
I hold this in a lot higher regard than some who consider it cheesy - I find it to be an appealing love song with a pretty melody.

4. Learn to Be Still
Ironically, this is my least favorite. It's not that it's bad; it's just that I find the melody a little less interesting than the other songs and the lyrics border on preachy sometimes.

Glennhoney
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
"Get over it" is definately my favorite song on HFO...I think they should always sing it in the concerts...although I'm NOT a country fan...Glenn does an amazing job on TGFY...his voice is superb and he put lots of "feelings" into it...

tequila girl
11-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I've already said my favs from the "new" songs

but overall my favourites from HFO are
The Last Resort
Help me throught the night
Wasted Time

I think favourites change with time and how you're feeling, that's why I could Never say for example, what my favourite 'all time' top 20 songs would be.....apart from maybe 'Man of the World' I just Love this song!!

Freypower
11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
1. Get Over It: I consider this an absolute Eagles classic & I am disappointed that they dropped it so soon, even before I saw that tour. It absolutely rocks & the lyrics are great. The best part is how you can hear both Don & Glenn sing the title at equal level & Glenn echoing the 'let's kill all the lawyers' part (which probably to nobody's surprise is my favourite part of the song).

2. The Girl From Yesterday: I think my opinions on how Glenn was used in HFO are well known. So I cling to this, one of only three songs he sang that was broadcast. I was lucky enough to see it performed live & as such feel very sentimental about it. Lyrically, no, it isn't that great, but he oozes sensuality throughout.

3. Learn To Be Still: Horribly underrated. I understand why Soda thinks the lyric is a bit preachy but it is one of those songs which helps me if I am feeling down (particularly the last verse). I love the guitar parts; I think it has a strong melody which I find very tuneful. I also love how Don sings it because he doesn't over-dramatise it.

4. Love Will Keep Us Alive: Along with IDWTHAM I just feel annoyed that Frey/Henley seem to think Tim can only sing Paul Carrack ballads. The best I can say about it is that it works better live with Steuart playing. Tim does a good job but I'm afraid the lyrics are far too cliched for me.

Brooke
11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
No doubt about it, Get Over It is my favorite of the new songs on this album. It totally rocks and Don is just so cute doing it.

I really love Learn To Be Still, too, although it's such a different song from GOI. The lyrics just touch my heart.

The Girl From Yesterday is next and I love Glenn's delivery. I wish he would put out a country album. He sings it beautifully.

I like Love Will Keep Us Alive, but agree it's a bit too cliched.

Prettymaid
11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow, guess I'm in the minority with LWKUA as my fave of the new four. Not even TBF likes it best :eyebrow:. :hilarious:

EagleLady
11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
My favorite is Definitely Get Over it, Followed by Love Will Keep Us Alive. The Girl From Yesterday is Average IMO.

WalshFan88
11-11-2010, 06:55 PM
My ranking is in order of favorite to least favorite of the new songs:

Get Over It - This one is my favorite from the new songs that are on HFO. I love the upbeat rocking feel to it and the lyrics are great (after all, it is Don Henley! :hilarious:) I wish they still played this one as I really enjoy it.

Love Will Keep Us Alive - My second fav from the new songs on HFO. Really like the melody and lyrics. I think it and Get Over It are the best songs from HFO.

The Girl From Yesterday - This song is good, but I like the above two just a bit more. However, it is still a good song! I think it's got great lyrics too and melody. I think it's a great song, but I find I listen to the other two more.

Learn To Be Still - This one I have to admit I'm not that fond of. I just never liked it and I really don't know why. I much prefer the other three over this one.

whitcap
11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
My Ranking:

1) The Girl From Yesterday - I love the country sound of the song and Glenn's voice is beautiful on it.

2) Learn to be Still - Love Don's voice on this one and love the words.

3) Get Over it - Fast paced and I really like the words

4) Love Will Keep Us Alive - Beautiful song that is beautifully sung. Although I really like this one, I prefer the other three.

Brooke
11-14-2010, 12:48 PM
So, I didn't know where else to ask this, but it kinda fits here.

Is the MTV show of HFO available for download anywhere here or anywhere? Not the HFO professional dvd, but the actual show that was on mtv back in 94?

11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think it is available for download, Brooke.

Freypower
11-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I wish that for the 20th anniversary of HFO they would re-release it with the tracks that were not broadcast included. But if they did that they would be emphasising that Felder is in it, so they probably won't.

sodascouts
11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I've looked high and low for the "HFO uncut" video but no luck. It must be out there somewhere....

Brooke
11-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I guess the mtv concert is what I keep getting mixed up with the HFO dvd in my mind. I know my brother recorded it on vhs back then, but I'm sure he doesn't still have it now. I would so love to see that again.

And in my googling for that show, I come up with this:

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/eagles/albums.jhtml?albumId=2428869

I assume it's the Christchurch show?

sodascouts
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
That's Christchurch but I don't know what it's doing on MTV's site, as it's a bootleg.

The show that I saw on MTV in 1994 is the same as the Hell Freezes Over video, with no additional songs as far as I can remember.

Brooke
11-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Well, the show I saw on mtv in 94 was somewhat different than the HFO dvd. The same songs, I think, but a little bit different setting. That or my memory has left me. Which could be, since I can't usually remember what happened yesterday let along 16 years ago. lol I don't know, I just have this vague recollection of some differences.

ETA: And if it's the same, what would be the point of releasing the mtv show?

sodascouts
11-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Once again, it's the anniversary of the Hell Freezes Over album!

The release of this album as well as the MTV special essentially introduced me to the band. (I've told this story before - feel free to skip the following paragraph, veterans.) I had heard some of their songs on the radio (I listened to a mix station that played songs from the 70s, 80s, and 90s) but I didn't really have an awareness of them as as group. They were a little before my time; I was a child of the 80s. I remember how astonished I was when I saw the commercials on MTV for Hell Freezes Over and they named Glenn Frey and Don Henley as participants. I had no idea they had ever been in a band together. Yes, I was clueless, but it sure piqued my interest! Not one but two amazing singers in the band (of course I was later to find out there were more than two amazing singers in the band)! I knew a band with both those guys in it would be a musical powerhouse. I tuned in - and oh, how right I was!

Happy Birthday Hell Freezes Over!

Koala
11-08-2011, 02:44 AM
Happy anniversary Hell Freezes Over!

HFO was my first Eagles album.I bought the album at that time in the supermarket for about just under $ 3, a real bargain! I love it! I think without HFO, I would never become a fan!

TimothyBFan
11-08-2011, 09:50 AM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE HFO!!!!!!!!!! And I don't know if I've ever mentioned it before (yeah, right!:lie:), but I think HFO Timothy is HOT!!! :thud:

Prettymaid
11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't think I've ever heard you mention that Willie. :rolleyes:

I've racked my brain trying to come up with an HFO memory and this is all I get. Although I have always liked the Eagles I never paid much attention to what was going on with them through the years. I just knew I liked their music from the 70's. We have the HFO DVD, but I can't honestly remember when we got it. I do know it was after we were married (2000).

What I think happened is this, and I think I've posted this somewhere on here....Back in 2002 I got to see Paul McCartney in concert - something I never thought I'd get to see. So after that I started thinking concert bucket list. Who else would I like to see before I die? The Eagles immediately came to mind. We had started buying concert DVDs at that time, and I think HFO was just a natural choice for us, as was Paul's Back In The U.S. and Fleetwood Mac's The Dance.

As we've talked about before on here, I think HFO is by far the best look for the band members (although Joe is looking pretty hot these days...), but musically I feel like I'm watching Don Henley with musical guests, The Eagles!

sodascouts
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
I've always thought it was either the best look for all of them, or nearly. It's the best look for Glenn, Joe, and Tim, and second only to the One of these Nights era for Don Henley. The exception is Don Felder, who does not look his best or even his second best for the HFO era.

Windeagle
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I completely missed HFO the first time around, despite being a huge Eagles fan through the '80s. Last I heard, there was no way in hell that they were getting back together, so I bagged it and moved on. I went to a couple of solo Henley shows and gave Frey up for lost. I didn't care much for Glenn's new R&B flavor (but that was before I grew up!)

In 1994, I was extremely distracted. I had gotten married in 1993 and had my first child in April 1994, just days before the MTV special was recorded. Music was the last thing on my mind. If anything was on my TV, it was PBS, not MTV. Somewhere along the way, someone (my husband, I think) bought me the CD, but I never even took it out of the wrapper.

It was only this spring that I refreshed my Eagles fandom and wow, it was like everything was brand new! I watched the 17-year-old HFO DVD and was blown away. I couldn't believe this wasn't recorded last week. They sounded incredible! The CD has been in my car's player ever since.

11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
First of all ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HELL FREEZES OVER!!!

Well - this was an important event in Eagles history at the time, but given that the band has survived ever since then, it seems to be more significant now than it was even then. Thank goodness their original resumption plan to just blitz a few stadiums in the summer of '94 was a dismal failure. :lol:

And if we are going to bring out the hotness thermometer, I have to weigh in on that. For me, it was the hottest era for Glenn, Don H., and Don F. Not that Timothy wasn't hot, but I think his hottest era was a few years earlier during Tell Me the Truth. As far as Joe, the HFO look was not his best, IMO. The professor look is just so 'un-Joe' to me. I think Joe is looking hotter in the past few years than he has looked since the late '70's.

Brooke
11-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Happy Anniversary HFO! I love you too!

I think all the guys look fabulous in it, they've really matured wonderfully! I think Glenn, Don H, and Timothy look fantastic, but am not crazy about Joe's short hair. I think he and Don F look hotter now.

Overall, I prefer the 70's long hair for all of them.

Troubadour
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Hell Freezes Over is responsible for making me fall head over heels in love with the Eagles, and Don in particular. I'd always liked their well-known songs but, until I bought this DVD, I had no idea what they looked like - or that I would become quite as crazy about them as I am. I didn't stop watching the DVD for about three weeks. It completely captured me and I immediately fell in love with the songs and Don's voice - I remember that Wasted Time made me stop and go "Wow." It still does. Gradually, I fell in love with those blue eyes as well as the voice, and so it all began! Little did I know that a love for the Eagles would lead me to America to see them in concert (from the front row) and also that it would allow me to meet so many wonderful people across the globe. Hell Freezes Over is where it all started for me, and each time I watch it, I fall in love all over again. Thank GOODNESS they got back together! :heart:

Tori
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
All I have to say is, I'm watching it on VHS right now. (I got the tape stuck in an older VHS player a couple months ago, and I finally got it out yesterday.) I watched the concert over and over as a kid and I still love watching it. Hell Freezes Over was what made me get into the Eagles, and Don in particular. Happy anniversary, HFO! I'm so glad hell froze over. :D

WalshFan88
11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Happy Anniversary Hell Freezes Over!

Love this DVD. It's great. I also am a huge fan of the Christchurch version.

Glennhoney
11-08-2011, 09:50 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY...this DVD made a lot of us "rediscover" the Eagles...and YES I love their looks back then...as for Glenn, it's a toss up between his looks in HFO and the early 1980's...but hey, he ALWAYS looked and still looks amazingly handsome...

whitcap
11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Happy anniversary to HFO! I really like the four HFO songs.

EaglesKiwi
11-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Hell Freezes Over is responsible for making me fall head over heels in love with the Eagles, and Don in particular. I'd always liked their well-known songs but, until I bought this DVD, I had no idea what they looked like - or that I would become quite as crazy about them as I am. I didn't stop watching the DVD for about three weeks. It completely captured me and I immediately fell in love with the songs and Don's voice - I remember that Wasted Time made me stop and go "Wow." It still does. Gradually, I fell in love with those blue eyes as well as the voice, and so it all began! Little did I know that a love for the Eagles would lead me to America to see them in concert (from the front row) and also that it would allow me to meet so many wonderful people across the globe. Hell Freezes Over is where it all started for me, and each time I watch it, I fall in love all over again. Thank GOODNESS they got back together! :heart:

I have almost the same story, word for word, Troub!! Only difference is that the songs I first fell in love with were New York Minute (HFO version is better than original IMO), Heart of the Matter and Love Will Keep Us Alive.

sodascouts
11-12-2011, 11:12 AM
The HFO version of "Heart of the Matter" is my favorite. It's staggering!

Topkat
11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Hell Freezes Over was major for me as an Eagles fan. I did like them in the 70's & saw them, but was not a major fan. I got to go to HFO concert & it was so fantastic, I fell in love with the Eagles big time. It also got me caught up with Timothy, as I was a big Poco fan & I had totally lost track of him in the 80's. I had no idea he even did solo albums. I thought he disappeared off the face of the earth! I had seen Henley in the late 80's on the End of the Innocence tour, but that was it! I recorded the concert on MTV & the live show just totally blew me away. As for the way they looked, that was the peak of Eagles hotness to me! WOW. Loved that tour!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HELL FREEZES OVER & to a great reunion of these hugely talented guys!!:band:

11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Happy anniversary to HFO! I really like the four HFO songs.

I like them a lot too - My favorite is Get Over It, followed closely by Love Will Keep Us Alive. Next would be Learn To Be Still, which I love and think is a very under-rated song. I also like The Girl From Yesterday a lot, but it is a little too country for my taste, even with Glenn's superb vocals.

EaglesFanatic
11-12-2011, 10:15 PM
I like them a lot too - My favorite is Get Over It, followed closely by Love Will Keep Us Alive. Next would be Learn To Be Still, which I love and think is a very under-rated song. I also like The Girl From Yesterday a lot, but it is a little too country for my taste, even with Glenn's superb vocals.

I totally agree with you... I love Learn To Be Still, and it is surprisingly underrated. I'm not partial to The Girl From Yesterday, because like you said, it's a bit too country.

I can watch HFO probably a hundred times and not get tired of it. I know I'm late on this, but Happy Anniversary to HFO!!

All this talk about HFO makes me want to watch it. I guess I know what I'm doing tonight :lol:

Tori
11-12-2011, 10:41 PM

I definitely agree that Learn To Be Still is highly underrated. It's one of my very favorite Eagles songs, and one of the first ones I've ever heard. I just generally love the four "new" songs from HFO.

Judy
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
I loved Get Over It before Hell Freezes Over came out. I was thinking "there's my Don all sarcastic & witty". I really do love this DVD. I probably play it 2 or 3 times to one over Farewell 1. I love all the new songs and I love at the end when Don forgets the words/mixes up the verses on Learn to Be Still. My hubby & I both liked that song.

We taped the concert, but I still hadn't gone to the show, and at the time my husband got off work before me. I asked him please watch it before I get home from work because I don't want to see it before I go. Well, the first day he wasn't quite done watching it when I got home and that was the end of that. I watched it every day until I went to my concert.

I also love this version of Heart of the Matter. I actually cried the first few times I saw him sing it. I also love the Christchurch version where Felder taps on the guitar.

I much prefer this version of Wasted Time to the one on F1, which seems forced to me....and I can't forget The Last Resort. It is breathtaking, just as is HOTM.

I bought my first bootleg-Wasted Time-the show from Minneapolis. I haven't listened to it for awhile. I listened to it last week & I much prefer the way they do BOS now.

sodascouts
11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
I completely agree about "Wasted Time" - I like the HFO version better. The same is true for "Desperado." I just wish that HFO had been more of a full concert like Farewell 1 was. They left off so much!

sodascouts
11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Once again, time to celebrate Hell Freezes Over! How grateful are we that they finally got together for this?

Brooke
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I can't even imagine now that that might not have happened! :shock:

Love the album! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
11-08-2012, 04:28 PM
this is my "go to" Eagles cd...if I had to take one of my Eagles CDs on a desert island ....this would be it!...I love it

Tori
11-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I have no idea where I'd be without HFO. So thankful they got back together. :heart:

WalshFan88
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Happy Anniversary to Hell Freezes Over!

It's a very important album! So glad they reunited. However, setlist wise, I much prefer Eagles Live for a CD or the bootleg Christchurch for the video. For me there aren't enough rockers on HFO (too many soft Henley solo songs) and the spanish version of Hotel California is fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Need them guitar solos!

Topkat
11-08-2012, 09:44 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to HELL FREEZES OVER:partytime::partytime::partytime:
The perfect name for the perfect show! And so important in their history!
I was lucky enough to have seen this show TWICE! Yeah, I loved it that much, probably my favorite Eagles concert!

11-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Well - as others have said, I am sooooo grateful that Hell Froze Over in 1994. I'm even more glad that the band's original plan of reuniting for a one-time summer tour didn't work out so well. Can't wait until next year cause it sounds like they still have a few plans - a documentary film on the history of the band, a 40th Anniversary tour, and even an upcoming Broadway show. Not too bad guys - whoda thought you'd still be rockin' after all these years. :yay: :yay:

zeldabjr
11-08-2012, 11:09 PM
yeah all us loving fans ruined their plan!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-09-2012, 12:04 AM
so greatful the hell froze over.

and that they ended their 14 year vacation:hilarious:

GlennLover
11-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Also, if hell hadn't frozen over we wouldn't have "The Border" & have met all these wonderful friends! :yay:

zeldabjr
11-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Also, if hell hadn't frozen over we wouldn't have "The Border" & have met all these wonderful friends! :yay:

totally agree GL!

EaglesKiwi
11-09-2012, 04:40 AM
HFO is where it all started for me - wandered into a store in 2001 with my husband who had been nagging for months about wanting a digital amplifier to get full surround sound at home. He wandered off & I dropped into an armchair in front of a TV/surround sound setup - showing a bunch of guys sitting on stools with guitars, backed by an orchestra, and singing one of the most beautiful things I had heard (New York Minute).

And I've been obsessed ever since. :) :hilarious:

(Oh, and hubby got permission to buy the amplifier pretty much as soon as he pointed out that was why the sound was so amazing. I had to wait until Christmas for the DVD!)

zeldabjr
11-09-2012, 05:38 AM
EK...I love your story about HFO and how you fell for the guys!!!...just think...what if you hadn't wandered into that store at that time?...guess it was fate...

prayfordaylight
11-09-2012, 09:01 AM

I totally agree too. HFO is what made me an Eagles fan.

TimothyBFan
11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! And I have to think there would be a lot less Eagles fans in this world if this had not happened. HFO made a lot of newer fans sit up and take notice. I, myself, was so excited to see my favorite band back together and as good as ever. Who would of thought this many years later, they'd still be at it. :bow:

chaim
11-11-2012, 09:36 AM
My opinion on the "new" songs:

The girl from yeasterday: Ok, but not that good. Having said that, I think the "Because she knows deep in her heart that he'll be back someday" bit is a lovely moment musically and lyrically. Very Glennish too. And of course Glenn sings the song beautifully. But I do get a slight "oh yeah, but what was the point of the song again?" feeling.

Learn to be still: I loved this when the album was fresh. I still like it a lot. Lyrically as well as musically.

Get over it: I love the lyric, but musically I find it lacking substance. I do like the answering "ta-daa" guitars after the "get over it" line in the choruses. A brilliant little detail.

Love will keep us alive: I have never liked this song at all. I would have preferred a song written by Timothy to a cover I don't like at all. I think this song is very boring. Lyrically it may have its sweet moments, but lines like "I would die for you, climb the highest mountain. Baby, there's nothing I wouldn't do" really bring it down.

I have this feeling that there are people who say they like Eagles, and Eagles to them is Hell Freezes Over. I really wish they would dig deeper.

TimothyBFan
11-11-2012, 01:44 PM
chaim---you had me right up to the Love Will Keep Us Alive part. :hilarious: Just kidding. I can see where you're coming from. It's not my favorite Timothy song either but I think his voice is amazing in it.

You make a good point about Get Over It. Hadn't really though about the music part of it because I've always loved the lyrics so much I guess. Now I'll have to listen to it a couple times and try to just hear the music.

EaglesKiwi
11-12-2012, 04:22 AM
I have this feeling that there are people who say they like Eagles, and Eagles to them is Hell Freezes Over. I really wish they would dig deeper.
I agree (& was guilty myself) - or alternatively they think of "Greatest Hits 1971-1975" (& the next one) and thereby miss out on all the great songs that didn't make those albums - not to mention the whole of LROOE.

sodascouts
11-12-2012, 11:34 PM
The girl from yesterday: Ok, but not that good. Having said that, I think the "Because she knows deep in her heart that he'll be back someday" bit is a lovely moment musically and lyrically.

How ironic - this is actually my least favorite lyric! I don't like it because in regular usage of the phrase, when you know something "deep in [your] heart" then it's supposed to be something you instinctively know is true on a subconscious level. For instance, "Although she said he was coming back someday, she knew deep in her heart he wasn't." In this case, he WON'T be back someday - it's not true at all. I guess it's just supposed to reinforce that she's completely delusional to the point where even her subconscious instincts are disconnected from reality, but it's a jarring use of the phrase IMHO.

Isn't it funny how people can see the same lyrics so totally differently? It's all subjective!

I agree that the melody there is lovely, though.

I think Learn to Be Still is a bit sluggish but it definitely has its moments.

I think Get over it is a terrific song - that music rocks! I love how upbeat is is. It showed the Eagles still remembered that they were a rock band. The guitar is hot!

I also give props to Love Will Keep Us Alive. Perhaps the lyrics are a bit trite but it's so romantic, and I think the tune is very pretty.

GlennLover
11-13-2012, 12:52 AM
How ironic - this is actually my least favorite lyric! I don't like it because when you know something "deep in [your] heart" then it's supposed to be something you know is true. For instance, "Although she said he was coming back, she knew deep in her heart she wasn't." In this case, he WON'T be back someday - it's not true at all. I guess it's just supposed to reinforce that she's completely delusional, but it's a jarring use of the phrase IMHO.

Isn't it funny how people can see the same lyrics so totally differently? It's all subjective!

I agree that the melody there is lovely, though.

I think Learn to Be Still is a bit sluggish but it definitely has its moments.

I think Get over it is a terrific song - that music rocks! I love how upbeat is is. It showed the Eagles still remembered that they were a rock band. The guitar is hot!

I also give props to Love Will Keep Us Alive. Perhaps the lyrics are a bit trite but it's so romantic, and I think the tune is very pretty.

I love "The Girl From Yesterday" but, the lyric that Soda mentions has always bothered me too, for the same reason. I have tried to come up with other words that would suit better than "knows" (deep in her heart).
Learn to Be Still has its moments for me as well, especially with the lyrics, eg. ("one more starry eyed messiah") but I find it draggy as well.

I love Get over it. It's a real rocker! Love the message of the lyrics & the guitar solos.

I have to be in the mood for Love Will Keep Us Alive. I find it too slow unless I'm feeling mellow. It's a bit bland to me. However, I do agree with TBF that Timothy sings it beautifully.

Freypower
11-13-2012, 01:00 AM
At the risk of sounding very pretentious, the woman in TGFY is Madama Butterfly. 'Un bel di.... one fine day, he'll definitely be back!' It's the delusion of hope against all odds (see also a Phil Collins song, with that title, to make myself sound less pretentious)!

I love the song (what a surprise) & I was lucky enough to see it performed once.

It may be about delusion but I far prefer it to LWKUA, a song I am afraid I can only listen to if I am watching them perform it. I know this is harsh but the song is bland to the point of being soporific; Glenn & Don don't even sound like they should & Tim is wasted.

The other two are particular favourites of mine for reasons I have given earlier in the thread.

TimothyBFan
11-13-2012, 09:37 AM

As I've said often, I rarely analyze the music or lyrics. But since I became a member of this board, I have started paying closer attention and whenever I see someone here state what they think a lyric means, I listen more closely next time I hear it.

You're right with your above statement, Soda and that being said, doesn't it make you really wonder which point of view they are thinking when they write the lyric? Or is it a whole different meaning all together? Again, we need that book from them explaining it all!!!!:thumbsup:

Topkat
11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
To most people the Eagles is the Greatest Hit's 71-75, not HFO. It's The Greatest hits lp that is the best selling album of all time, except alternating with Micheal Jackson. I think most people don't even know many of the songs on HFO, even if they've seen the DVD. I mean compare TIE to Get Over It which is probably the most well known song on HFO. There's no comparison in which song is more well known

Prettymaid
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
How ironic - this is actually my least favorite lyric! I don't like it because in regular usage of the phrase, when you know something "deep in [your] heart" then it's supposed to be something you instinctively know is true on a subconscious level. For instance, "Although she said he was coming back someday, she knew deep in her heart he wasn't." In this case, he WON'T be back someday - it's not true at all. I guess it's just supposed to reinforce that she's completely delusional to the point where even her subconscious instincts are disconnected from reality, but it's a jarring use of the phrase IMHO.

It is funny, because I have always just took for granted the lyric meaning that she's delusional, because I think that's often a normal reaction from somebody who's been dumped.

Soda, I've wondered before, have you ever started a thread for analizing lyrics? I mean, deciding on a song and talking about what we think the lyrics mean, verse by verse. I think it would be very interesting.

Topkat
11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I have to correct my previous DUMB statement, because on my way home from work I realized that TIE is on both of these albums, so my reasons for the defining album of the Eagles doesn't hold up.:brickwall: but I still think the early Eagles album is the album that most people remember the Eagles by. The HFO album is kind of a greatest hits with a few new songs on it.
I guess HFO brought in a new set of younger fans who weren't around in the 70's & it was the reuniting of the band, so it does serve a huge spot in Eagles history.

As for "Get Over It"....well I'm over it, the song I mean. I can't stand that song & I wish they would drop it from the setlist. Many other songs I would rather hear!

Prettymaid
11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Had they been doing Get Over It?

SallyGee
11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
I haven't read all of the posts here, but I just had to say that Love Will Keep Us Alive is one of my all time favorites. I tend to like songs more for their lyrics than the music. These words are so romantic. I would love for someone to say them to me. And Timothy's voice is just so incredible. The combination of the words and Timothy just make me melt.

sodascouts
11-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Had they been doing Get Over It?

I wish. Not since 1994!

zeldabjr
11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
I haven't read all of the posts here, but I just had to say that Love Will Keep Us Alive is one of my all time favorites. I tend to like songs more for their lyrics than the music. These words are so romantic. I would love for someone to say them to me. And Timothy's voice is just so incredible. The combination of the words and Timothy just make me melt.

Oh I so agree with everything you just said!:heart::blush:...of course you probably knew I would...lol

Freypower
11-13-2012, 09:50 PM
I have to correct my previous DUMB statement, because on my way home from work I realized that TIE is on both of these albums, so my reasons for the defining album of the Eagles doesn't hold up.:brickwall: but I still think the early Eagles album is the album that most people remember the Eagles by. The HFO album is kind of a greatest hits with a few new songs on it.
I guess HFO brought in a new set of younger fans who weren't around in the 70's & it was the reuniting of the band, so it does serve a huge spot in Eagles history.

As for "Get Over It"....well I'm over it, the song I mean. I can't stand that song & I wish they would drop it from the setlist. Many other songs I would rather hear!

What about Hotel California?

Where did you get the idea that they have been playing Get Over It?

11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Well since others are repeating there favorites for this album, I guess I will also. Here is a post that I wrote earlier ...

I go back and forth and keep changing my opinion about which of these songs is my favorite. At times, I think Learn To Be Still may actually be my favorite on this album. But, I do love Get Over It and Love Will Keep Us Alive a lot too, so it's very hard to decide. Heck - maybe I should just declare it a 3-way tie. Even if LWKUA doesn't have the most prolific lyrics, they are so heartfelt and romantic, and Tim's vocals are swoon-worthy. I also love the melody and music.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm about to get blasted here. I've told a few. I've only ever listened to this CD maybe twice. I do own it and it sits on the shelf with all the other Eagles' CDs. I've never watched the DVD. The CD and tour are forever associated with a fairly traumatic event in my life. One that involved a man, of course. I will never learn. Still, I guess I need to Get Over It. Maybe next year.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Girl, do NOT let that man deprive you of ONE MINUTE of pleasure. Do not give him that kind of power over you. It's been almost 20 years. It's past time to draw upon your strength and claim your victory. If not now, when? If you can't do it in 2012, two decades after the fact, what makes you think next year will be any different? It's not going to happen unless you make it happen, and the sooner the better. What are you waiting for?

Go listen to / watch HELL FREEZES OVER and celebrate your empowerment, thanking God that you are out of that situation!

chaim
11-14-2012, 05:46 AM

Touche. It's been a long time since I last heard "The girl from yesterday", and I didn't remember the lyrics that well. Now that I checked the lyrics, what Glenn sings after that seems to contradict the line about knowing he will come back ("She'll always be the girl from yesterday"). The Madam Butterfly thing was a good point, and those comments about being delusional. On the other hand the melody and the way Glenn sings it (very calm and optimistic) makes it sound like he really is coming back.
I have this vague feeling that that line did seem odd to me in the context of the whole lyric when I kept hearding the song. I listened to the album many times when it had come out, but I haven't really listened to it since. So I admit that it may be a puzzling lyric in the context. It's a beautiful moment, however, so I choose to love it out of context.:mrgreen: Anyway, the melody and the bassline descening underneath is just beautiful, so that really gets me.

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Soda, I've wondered before, have you ever started a thread for analizing lyrics? I mean, deciding on a song and talking about what we think the lyrics mean, verse by verse. I think it would be very interesting.

Just bringing this question forward from the previos page because chaim is bringing another lyric into question. Personally I love it, and would love to pick a song, perhaps as a group, and talk about it, maybe both musically and lyrically, but mostly lyrically. I'm afraid I am one who listens to the music and often ignores the lyric - or at least the meaning of the lyric. This would benefit me a great deal.

TimothyBFan
11-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Just bringing this question forward from the previos page because chaim is bringing another lyric into question. Personally I love it, and would love to pick a song, perhaps as a group, and talk about it, maybe both musically and lyrically, but mostly lyrically. I'm afraid I am one who listens to the music and often ignores the lyric - or at least the meaning of the lyric. This would benefit me a great deal.

Why don't you go ahead and get us started!! I think it's a fabulous idea and I'd be very interested to see us all pick a song a part. Like I've said, I'm not one to usually analyze lyrics but I love to read how everyone else thinks about them.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I would love this. Should we do a big thread, or thread for each song we pick? If we do a thread per song, we have a few already.

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I vote for individual threads, so that everyone knows which song we're talking about at the time.

Topkat
11-14-2012, 12:45 PM

I agree SG, I love that song & TBS is amazing singing it!!

Brooke
11-14-2012, 03:59 PM
I think individual threads too. It could get mighty confusing if they were all in one.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Ok. I might start with reviving an old song thread.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 07:17 PM
OK, I revived ALL our old song threads... and folks can feel free to start new ones! Hope I didn't overload.

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 08:46 PM
OK, I revived ALL our old song threads... and folks can feel free to start new ones! Hope I didn't overload.

Overload!!! Overload!!! :hilarious:

We need to pick a song and start with the first verse!

EaglesKiwi
11-15-2012, 04:08 AM
I was trying to figure out why there was suddenly a whole page of unread threads - there's usually only 4 or 5!!

Re the 4 new HFO songs:

Girl From Yesterday - Glenn's vocals are beautiful, and I like the melody, but I really dislike the whole idea of a girl waiting around for some b@stard who doesn't realise how great she is and therefore doesn't deserve her!!!

LWKUA - Tim is definitely swoon worthy. My 7 year old daughter adores this song. It has a special place in my heart as the first TBS song I heard (remember HFO is where the Eagles obsession started for me).

LTBS - love it, very underrated.

Get Over It - fantastic.

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry for the overload! Just pick and choose.

EK - I hear you about the woman in TGFY. So pathetic! Get over that jerk, woman!

Topkat
11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
ANNIVERSARY OF #1 ON BILLBOARD CHART!

Let's hear it for the boys~:thumbsup::partytime::thumbsup::partytime:

sodascouts
11-27-2012, 02:25 AM
They're the comeback kings!

TimothyBFan
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
There's a discussion in the Documentary thread about the credits on HFO and it made me wonder about something else (and right now I can't even remember what it was because I got sooooo sidetracked). Anyways, I read this on Wiki and found it rather interesting. Not that I understand it, but it sounds cool anyways. LOL

DVD-only tracks

"Help Me Through the Night" (Walsh)
"The Heart of the Matter" (Henley, Mike Campbell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Campbell_%28musician%29), J.D. Souther (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.D._Souther))
"Seven Bridges Road (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bridges_Road)" (Steve Young (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Young_%28musician%29)) - DTS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_%28sound_system%29) - A remastered version of the recording featured on Eagles Live (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles_Live), with a clearer separation of the four vocal parts to exploit the full potential of a 5.1 speaker set-up: Timothy B. Schmit is on the front-left, Glenn Frey on the front-right, Don Henley on the rear-left and Joe Walsh on the rear-right. Frey, as the singer of the song's main melody, is also featured on the front-center channel.

Now I just need someone to actually explain it to me. I think I have a general idea tho.

Topkat
05-14-2013, 12:30 PM
TBF, I'm no expert, but from what it says there...On 7 Bridges Road, on the Eagles Live version, they have recorded it so you can hear the vocal separation on a 5.1 system.

It doesn't apply to Hell Freezes Over version, so if you have the Eagles Live version, it would probably have a better sound quality with the correct system. :hmm:

TimothyBFan
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
It says it's for the HFO dvd only and that's it's a remastered version of the one on Eagles Live. Anyways, that's how I'm reading it.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
It says it's for the HFO dvd only and that's it's a remastered version of the one on Eagles Live. Anyways, that's how I'm reading it.

That's how I'm reading it as well, and that makes no sense to me. A remastered version of the HFO version would make sense. Maybe a typo? I mean, if it were a different version altogether, wouldn't you see that on the video? Their lips wouldn't match the words exactly, right?

sodascouts
05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
You're correct Willie. An enhanced version of 7BR from 1980's Eagles Live album was a selling point for the HFO DVD in fact. I at first assumed it was an HFO version before reading the additional info, but I get it now. The fact that it is not from HFO is why there is no video of it - it is audio only. It is essentially a DVD-audio "bonus track."

Unfortunately, if you don't have the right sound system, you can't enjoy it. My brother-in-law played it for me on his 5 speaker sound system and it was magnificent. You could literally hear a different voice coming from each speaker. Very cool!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Ah, one more reason I need to buy the DVD. Still thinking it'll come out on Blu-Ray soon, so I'll wait.

Prettymaid
05-14-2013, 01:11 PM
I'd love to be able to pick out their harmonies. Sometimes I can, but not always. If you could have a different voice coming out of each speaker, and control each individual speaker, that would be great!

TimothyBFan
05-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Well I have the DVD but not the right sound system to hear it. Darn.

Prettymaid
05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Well I have the DVD but not the right sound system to hear it. Darn.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go out and get that sucker! :lol:

Topkat
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Ok, sorry, yes my mistake. I didn't realize it was remade for HFO.
Makes no difference to me. I don't have a 5.1 system anyway

VAisForEagleLovers
05-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I could pick out the harmonies easily on the CD player in the truck, not as easily in the car. I no longer have my truck :(

Some friends of mine used to get together every weekend and we'd always end up with way too much to drink and play this song over and over as we sang the harmony parts. My friend's husband used to sit patiently while we argued back and forth on who was better looking or who sounded better, Don or Glenn. Their children are probably scarred for life! The early 80's...lots of fun!

Houston Debutante
05-15-2013, 01:03 PM
You're correct Willie. An enhanced version of 7BR from 1980's Eagles Live album was a selling point for HFO in fact. I at first assumed it was an HFO version before reading the additional info, but I get it now. The fact that it is not from HFO is why there is no video of it - it is audio only. It is essentially a DVD-audio "bonus track."

Unfortunately, if you don't have the right sound system, you can't enjoy it. My brother-in-law played it for me on his 5 speaker sound system and it was magnificent. You could literally hear a different voice coming from each speaker. Very cool!

Sounds great ~ wish I had the sound system to hear it.

Dyan61
05-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Better late than never I have just found a copy of Hell Freezes Over online, it should be here tomorrow...it's been a mission to find it here, I was about to try Ebay but happy I got one local. I've seen it a few times but wanted my own copy so YAY!

zeldabjr
05-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Better late than never I have just found a copy of Hell Freezes Over online, it should be here tomorrow...it's been a mission to find it here, I was about to try Ebay but happy I got one local. I've seen it a few times but wanted my own copy so YAY!

oh you will be hooked on it!

EaglesKiwi
05-20-2013, 12:56 AM
You will love it!! (BTW, if you need to feed the addiction, I usually get my Eagles stuff from JB Hifi/Warehouse or Mighty Ape... the first 2 are usually cheaper!!).

The version of 7BR is absolutely stunning. Love, love, love being able to hear them out of each speaker (love my hubby too for being able to set that all up for me! Although come to think of it, this DVD is the reason he was allowed to get the fancy audio set up in the first place...:hilarious:)

Outlawman13
05-20-2013, 01:00 AM
OHH yes!!!! It is amazing and so good!!!!!! I need to get another one here soon. Mine will only play on my x-box 360 and that is saying something right there. LOL. I just hope that I won't end up with another defect again!!!!

EaglesKiwi
05-20-2013, 01:02 AM
OHH yes!!!! It is amazing and so good!!!!!! I need to get another one here soon. Mine will only play on my x-box 360 and that is saying something right there. LOL. I just hope that I won't end up with another defect again!!!!
Mmmm, yes... :hilarious:

Dyan61
05-20-2013, 01:38 AM
You will love it!! (BTW, if you need to feed the addiction, I usually get my Eagles stuff from JB Hifi/Warehouse or Mighty Ape... the first 2 are usually cheaper!!).

The version of 7BR is absolutely stunning. Love, love, love being able to hear them out of each speaker (love my hubby too for being able to set that all up for me! Although come to think of it, this DVD is the reason he was allowed to get the fancy audio set up in the first place...:hilarious:)

Thanks for that....We've got a Warehouse where I live and they haven't had a copy in for ages, got mine off TradeMe :thumbsup:

SteveJoburg
06-10-2013, 01:52 PM
There's a discussion in the Documentary thread about the credits on HFO and it made me wonder about something else (and right now I can't even remember what it was because I got sooooo sidetracked). Anyways, I read this on Wiki and found it rather interesting. Not that I understand it, but it sounds cool anyways. LOL

Now I just need someone to actually explain it to me. I think I have a general idea tho.

At the risk of really opening a can of worms, I knew I would find a thread about this here and I have to bring this up for (hopefully) a healthy discussion...

On Sunday night I watched HFO for the first time since getting what I consider a really good surround system. (It took me many years to achieve that dream!) It was a revelation to hear 7BR on the DTS track, with the voices separated... My wife and I replayed the track a few times, each walking around the room listening with our heads at each speaker... :hilarious:

We instantly thought we knew who was in each channel. But, seeing the Wikipedia insert quoted above, I have to disagree, and I'm hoping some fellow board members with the ability to listen to the DTS 5.1 track will either agree or disagree with me. Now, if what I think is correct, it not only proves the Wiki section wrong, but also brings into question the recording date of that version of 7BR, which I have always thought was recorded on the 1980 tour, and that is what I've always seen in liner notes.

Firstly, there are very clearly, definitely, 5 voices on the track. Not 4. Frey is NOT repeated in the centre channel.

This I am convinced of and I think few people would disagree with me: Henley is in the front left channel. Frey is in the front right channel. We are pretty sure that the centre channel is actually Felder... He does the lower part of the harmony and you can hear the inflections in his voice.

What I am really battling with are the voices in the rear channels... Rear right is probably Schmidt but I really think it's Randy Meisner. Rear left, I believe, is Leadon... Try as I might I can't convince myself its Walsh. If it is, he is singing very differently to the way I am used to hearing him sing lead.

So... At best the only real major difference is that Felder is in the centre channel and one of the 5 voices you hear... At worst, the version on the DVD is from an older tour and includes a line up of Frey, Henley, Meisner, Leadon and Felder... But I've listened to the track and the CD version from Eagles Live back to back and I am also pretty certain its the same recording...

Someone tell me I'm either a genius or mentally unbalanced... Please! :)

sodascouts
06-10-2013, 08:32 PM
According to the credits on the liner notes, the recording of Seven Bridges Road was made on July 28, 1980 in Santa Monica, CA. I'm not sure why they would use a different, earlier version and lie about it, so I think it's more likely that mixing in the control room might have affected the tones. As far as I know, they didn't start performing Seven Bridges Road as part of their setlist until after Bernie had left the band and Felder/Walsh were both members. I daresay it's not Bernie Leadon you hear on that audio channel.

SteveJoburg
06-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Soda I know... I would never think it was intentionally done at all. I was also not sure of when they did start using 7BR as a vocal warm up and I knew someone would clear that up for me, thank you...
As I said I'm willing to accept that it's Tim in the one rear channel, which means the other must be Joe, although it just doesn't sound like him to me... But I'm still 100% sure that the centre channel is Don Felder, NOT Glenn.

Brooke
06-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmm, I must see if I can hear this on our system at home.......

SteveJoburg
06-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Hmmmmm, I must see if I can hear this on our system at home.......

Please do Brooke? Even if you can tell me which vocal you think is coming out of the centre channel?

zeldabjr
06-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Darn...Wish I had a system like this so I could check this out...lol

06-12-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't have the audio system to listen to it either, but, I would think it would be a five-part harmony with Glenn, Don H., Timothy, Joe, and Don F. since it was in 1980. I always thought that Felder was singing the low part as well.

SteveJoburg
06-13-2013, 06:18 AM
Darn...Wish I had a system like this so I could check this out...lol

I'm quite pleased with my new system so you're welcome to pop over.

It's probably about a 20 hour flight, give or take... I'll put the kettle on so long. :)

Brooke
06-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I will check this out as soon as I can!

SJ, I actually have a cousin in law that lives in SA! I've heard him say their flight takes around 22 hours! Give us a head start or the kettle will be dry! :lol:

GlennLover
06-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I must have another listen. I definitely heard a single voice in each speaker. I'll see if I can tell which is which. I'm quite sure I identified Don, Timothy & Glenn before. At least I think I did. :headscratch:

sodascouts
06-13-2013, 04:57 PM
As I said I'm willing to accept that it's Tim in the one rear channel, which means the other must be Joe, although it just doesn't sound like him to me... But I'm still 100% sure that the centre channel is Don Felder, NOT Glenn.

I think it would make sense to have Don Felder in the fifth channel. You can't trust those user-edited wikis to always have accurate information, so it's very possible that you're right and it's Felder instead of Glenn doubled. I can't listen to it myself because I don't have the right system. :(

MaryCalifornia
08-07-2013, 11:17 PM
I finally got the HFO dvd! I ordered it from EBay from Goodwill Industries for $10.00 including shipping. I can't wait for it to arrive because I've never seen it!! They say Monday...:rockon:

Topkat
08-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I finally got the HFO dvd! I ordered it from EBay from Goodwill Industries for $10.00 including shipping. I can't wait for it to arrive because I've never seen it!! They say Monday...:rockon:

I lost my copy somewhere, or I lent it to somebody & never got it back, but I also got one on Ebay, & I forgot what I paid, but it was very reasonable.

All I can tell you is that you are in for a hell of a treat! I can't believe you've never seen this, because you are gonna be watching this one OVER & OVER again! As a TBS fan, well Tim is at his best in this one, not to even mention how great he looks! Let us know what you think! :thud:
This entire show is incredible!

sodascouts
08-07-2013, 11:38 PM
You're gonna love it, Mary!

MaryCalifornia
08-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks, ladies - can't wait. Soda, your avi made me laugh out loud - love it!

Houston Baby
08-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Yes thank you Soda! Another very fine view of Glenn's backside!!:inlove:

zeldabjr
08-08-2013, 07:29 AM

oh Mary Mary Mary...can't wait to hear your response to it...lol!!!

Prettymaid
08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Topkat
08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Soda & Zelda....LOVE the new AVI's:inlove:

GlennLover
08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Even my husband watches HFO over & over again & that's something! He likes the Eagles but isn't what you would call a "real fan"! I love it!

thelastresort
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Just seen this thread. I've had the DVD for a while now. I have to be honest and say I really don't like the set up of the stage or the orchestra, it just feels a bit too made for TV for me (yes, I know it was!), but the songs themselves are excellent. The version of Hotel California is immense (though I wish Joe / Don F played the full outro :(). It's also good to see some lesser played (or filmed for release) songs such as The Last Resort and NYM. I just wished they'd have done some more old staples such as LE and what have you, but a decent show overall. HFO didn't actually have a bad set of new songs either - TGFY is a good copy of what they did back around 1973-1975~, and Get Over It is always great to hear - very true of modern society! Not endeared to LWKUA sorry to say, but I think Learn to be Still is one of their best songs ever. Not classic Eagles as you would recognise from the 1970s but very soothing and what have you. Just wish there was any decent, extensive footage from the following tour!

Brooke
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh Mary! Another vote for 'you will love it'! It's amazing in more ways than one! :lol:

GlennLover
08-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Just seen this thread. I've had the DVD for a while now. I have to be honest and say I really don't like the set up of the stage or the orchestra, it just feels a bit too made for TV for me (yes, I know it was!), but the songs themselves are excellent. The version of Hotel California is immense (though I wish Joe / Don F played the full outro :(). It's also good to see some lesser played (or filmed for release) songs such as The Last Resort and NYM. I just wished they'd have done some more old staples such as LE and what have you, but a decent show overall. HFO didn't actually have a bad set of new songs either - TGFY is a good copy of what they did back around 1973-1975~, and Get Over It is always great to hear - very true of modern society! Not endeared to LWKUA sorry to say, but I think Learn to be Still is one of their best songs ever. Not classic Eagles as you would recognise from the 1970s but very soothing and what have you. Just wish there was any decent, extensive footage from the following tour!

Actually, they performed Heartache Tonight, a new arrangement of Peaceful Easy Feeling, Glenn's Lover's Moon & Best of My Love but, obviously the didn't make it into the HFO video. You will notice that BOML is listed in the credits at the end. I have seen online, extremely poor quality videos of PEF & LM. There is also a bootleg audio of one night of the taping of the show which includes between show banter. It has been dubbed Second Night.

There is a very good quality video of their Christchurch, NZ concert from the HFO tour. Bootleg copies aren't too hard to come across. I've seen it at Walmart here in Canada & on Amazon as well under the title The Eagles 'Take It Easy. The concert is excellent although it doesn't include Get Over It or Learn To Be Still.

MaryCalifornia
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Oh Mary! Another vote for 'you will love it'! It's amazing in more ways than one! :lol:

IT ARRIVED!

and

I JUST WATCHED IT!

Even though I am about 19 years late to this party, my observations:

It's funny how much more you notice about the music when watching the video as opposed to just listening to the album.

Out of eighteen (18 ) songs, did Glenn Frey really only sing lead on three (3)?? Wha' happened? I guess at that period in time, Henley was coming off of his very successful solo career...

Timothy singing the second verse of TIE with Glenn (Winslow, AZ) - do they still do this?!

Don Felder looks so happy in every shot - smiling like a fool. Poor guy never knew what was coming 7 years later.

I like watching Glenn play guitar and Tim play crazy bass on Get Over It. Tim also does some crazy bass in New York Minute (this is my technical music talk for what he's doing.)

They all look great. A long billowy shirt on Timothy is not my preferred wardrobe for him, as I like to see more of his finely-honed man-body. I worried about Joe, but he seemed just fine, and his voice sounded great. Henley's hair looks great and his voice sounds great, I guess that's why the show was so Henley-heavy - not a bad thing, I just hadn't noticed it before.

I agree with everyone - this is a thrilling show and I'll watch it again tomorrow!

Freypower
08-13-2013, 12:06 AM
IT ARRIVED!

and

I JUST WATCHED IT!

Even though I am about 19 years late to this party, my observations:

It's funny how much more you notice about the music when watching the video as opposed to just listening to the album.

Out of eighteen (18 ) songs, did Glenn Frey really only sing lead on three (3)?? Wha' happened? I guess at that period in time, Henley was coming off of his very successful solo career...

Timothy singing the second verse of TIE with Glenn (Winslow, AZ) - do they still do this?!

Don Felder looks so happy in every shot - smiling like a fool. Poor guy never knew what was coming 7 years later.

I like watching Glenn play guitar and Tim play crazy bass on Get Over It. Tim also does some crazy bass in New York Minute (this is my technical music talk for what he's doing.)

They all look great. A long billowy shirt on Timothy is not my preferred wardrobe for him, as I like to see more of his finely-honed man-body. I worried about Joe, but he seemed just fine, and his voice sounded great. Henley's hair looks great and his voice sounds great, I guess that's why the show was so Henley-heavy - not a bad thing, I just hadn't noticed it before.

I agree with everyone - this is a thrilling show and I'll watch it again tomorrow!

Glenn sang more songs which were not used in the performance, which were Peaceful Easy Feeling, Heartache Tonight & his solo song Lover's Moon. For me at any rate, it is a tragedy that at least one more of these was not used to redress the balance. However it must be stressed that presumably Glenn himself had to OK what was played. (Don also sang BOML & OOTN).

Tim still harmonises with Glenn in the second verse of TIE just as Randy used to.

MaryCalifornia
08-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the info, FP.

Freypower
08-13-2013, 12:25 AM
By the way, as the thread has been revived, I had the immense privilege of seeing TGFY performed on March 2 this year. I was one of the few people on this board who saw it with the Eagles (in 1995) and now I am the only person who has seen it done as a solo performance.:angel:

Prettymaid
08-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Mary, I was not going to influence your opinion before watching it, but yes, sometimes I think of HFO as 'The Don Henley Show featuring the Eagles'. Not that I don't enjoy it, because I do. :-)

GlennLover
08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
By the way, as the thread has been revived, I had the immense privilege of seeing TGFY performed on March 2 this year. I was one of the few people on this board who saw it with the Eagles (in 1995) and now I am the only person who has seen it done as a solo performance.:angel:

:jealous: :)

GlennLover
08-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Mary, I was not going to influence your opinion before watching it, but yes, sometimes I think of HFO as 'The Don Henley Show featuring the Eagles'. Not that I don't enjoy it, because I do. :-)

I agree. As much as I enjoy HFO I wish Glenn had sung at least one more. The unique version of PEF that was done for this performance was beautiful & I would have loved to see it left in the concert.

Brooke
08-13-2013, 10:25 AM

:jealous:

sodascouts
08-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Not to be a copycat, but in reference to the above quote from FP....

:jealous:

EaglesKiwi
09-28-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't want to burst your bubble, FP, but Glenn performed TGFY in Auckland too. :faint::heart:

Hubby and I were watching Hell Freezes Over last night. Often I play this in the mornings while I'm exercising (okay, not nearly as often as I should, but still...) but it's a completely different experience when it's shared. So, so incredibly good.

Then we played Seven Bridges Road, and I explained about the split vocals (each going to a different speaker - I did try to find the thread on that but no luck), and Rob and I were both running around the room listening to each speaker. :hilarious:

09-28-2013, 02:12 PM
We've missed ya around here, EK - glad to hear from you again.

I've never heard that DTS version of 7BR because I don't have surround sound. I would SO love to hear it though!

MaryCalifornia
09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
My parents just moved into a condo ("God's Waiting Room" they call it) and they had surround sound installed. I'm going to take my HFO DVD over the next time and try it out!!

Freypower
09-28-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't want to burst your bubble, FP, but Glenn performed TGFY in Auckland too. :faint::heart:

Hubby and I were watching Hell Freezes Over last night. Often I play this in the mornings while I'm exercising (okay, not nearly as often as I should, but still...) but it's a completely different experience when it's shared. So, so incredibly good.

Then we played Seven Bridges Road, and I explained about the split vocals (each going to a different speaker - I did try to find the thread on that but no luck), and Rob and I were both running around the room listening to each speaker. :hilarious:

Oh, that's good. I'm so glad you got to see it too! I'm sure you would have said so at the time! A great honour for his antipodean fans, wasn't it?! :smitten: ETA: Just read the review. Fabulous memories.

WalshFan88
09-28-2013, 07:35 PM
HFO is great... I prefer the Christchurch Bootleg though. The only two things I'd change about HFO is do the electric version of HC, and have less Henley solo tunes. Other than that, it's great. I like it a lot. I really like the unreleased PEF. Probably my favorite version of that song.

thelastresort
10-02-2013, 07:27 AM
I hate to go around asking all these basic questions but I can't help being born most of it happened :wink:

I've only seen bits and pieces of the actual HFO tour (basically whatever bootlegs have made YT) but how different was the MTV special to the rest of the tour? I sometimes think in a sense that the MTV one was almost like Don Henley plus four random people who occasionally got the spotlight, and I can't imagine songs like NYM and HOTM making an Eagles concert, a bit too long and slow (not meant in a bad way!) - I'd always assumed the MTV shoot was more to demonstrate their musical ability after so long apart, sort of a celebration of greatness, whilst the tour subsequently was to give fans the songs they wanted? Also, did the acoustic HC continue for the whole tour or was that another MTV special? I really like that version, I just wish Joe and Don F did the full outro, from what I remember they cut it short :(

And finally, my Mum's partner went to see them on the HFO tour, and he reckons there was still a bit of animosity between Glenn, Don H and Don F whilst onstage, sort of like they were only there because they had to be. I know the members on here like to see the best in them but would anyone who went to see them agree, or did my Mum's partner just go on a bad night? They certainly seem infinitely more comfortable with each other now then they did on the MTV one IMO.

MaryCalifornia
10-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Regarding the dynamic between Don H/Glenn and Don F - it wouldn't surprise me if they played nice at the MTV show - they were all so nervous and excited and I'm sure the whole thing was surreal - they were genuinely happy. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that as the tour went on, they started to battle - two things: 1) Felder wasn't happy with the deal, and 2) Based on, I think it was Irving's comment in the documentary, "We'd better have Felder in case Joe can't get sober...we need at least one guitar player" makes it sound like if they knew that Joe was a lock, they wouldn't have even asked Felder to join in. It wasn't a given that they would go to him - he was a hedge.

UndertheWire
10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
The HFO tour ended in the UK in August 1996, so maybe your mum's partner saw them at the end of the tour when everyone was tired and needing a break. According to Don Felder, they didn't play together again until the Hall of Fame induction in 1998.

There are a couple of articles/interviews with Robert Hilburn of the LA Times, one from the start of the HFO and another at the Hall of Fame and it's quite sad to see that the joy and optimism seems to have disappeared in those four years.
1994 (http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-22/entertainment/ca-60744_1_hotel-california)
1998 (http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jan/12/entertainment/ca-7453)

10-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I hate to go around asking all these basic questions but I can't help being born most of it happened :wink:

I've only seen bits and pieces of the actual HFO tour (basically whatever bootlegs have made YT) but how different was the MTV special to the rest of the tour? I sometimes think in a sense that the MTV one was almost like Don Henley plus four random people who occasionally got the spotlight, and I can't imagine songs like NYM and HOTM making an Eagles concert, a bit too long and slow (not meant in a bad way!) - I'd always assumed the MTV shoot was more to demonstrate their musical ability after so long apart, sort of a celebration of greatness, whilst the tour subsequently was to give fans the songs they wanted? Also, did the acoustic HC continue for the whole tour or was that another MTV special? I really like that version, I just wish Joe and Don F did the full outro, from what I remember they cut it short :(

And finally, my Mum's partner went to see them on the HFO tour, and he reckons there was still a bit of animosity between Glenn, Don H and Don F whilst onstage, sort of like they were only there because they had to be. I know the members on here like to see the best in them but would anyone who went to see them agree, or did my Mum's partner just go on a bad night? They certainly seem infinitely more comfortable with each other now then they did on the MTV one IMO.

tlr - We are glad to answer questions here when we actually have the answers. :grin: I can try to answer some of your questions. The MTV special was definitely different from the HFO live shows because it was filmed as a television special program. If you don't already have the DVD for the special, it should be commercially available. I have a couple of videoed shows from the HFO tour and Heart of the Matter was played at them, but New York Minute was not. Although there was quite of bit of solo material from Don, Glenn, and Joe in the setlists, the live shows were not as Henley-dominated as the MTV special. As far as I know, the acoustic version of Hotel California was only played for the MTV special. I'll try to dig my videos up and post the setlist here when I get a chance.

As far as how the band got along during the HFO, it has been acknowledged by band members that they had their 'ups and downs' during this time. However, as far as live shows, I imagine it was just like any other extended tour - some nights the band may have been more 'on' than others. In the videos that I have, I don't notice any tensions between any of the band members.

10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Here is the HFO setlist for the 6/94 Mountain View, CA and 11/95 Christchurch, NZ videos that I have ...

1. Hotel California
2. Victim of Love
3. New Kid In Town
4. Wasted Time
5. Pretty Maid All In a Row
6. The Girl From Yesterday
7. I Can't Tell You Why
8. Ordinary Average Guy
9. Lyin' Eyes
10. One of These Nights

Intermission

11. Silent Spring/Tequila Sunrise
12. Help Me Thru the Night
13. Heart of the Matter
14. Love Will Keep Us Alive
15. You Belong To the City
16. The Boys of Summer
17. Funk #49
18. Dirty Laundry
19. Smuggler's Blues
20. Life's Been Good
21. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
22. Heartache Tonight
23. Life In the Fast Lane

Encore #1

24. Get Over It
25. Rocky Mountain Way

Encore #2

26. Already Gone
27. Desperado

Encore #3

28. Take It Easy

Midnight Visitor
10-02-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd give anything for them to start doing Help Me Through the Night again!

thelastresort
10-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd give anything for them to start doing Help Me Through the Night again!

Aye. Love the HFO version of it, at the end when they all go for the 'Ahh' is magical. It's a huge credit to Joe that he can pull off both extremes of performing so well - the likes of RMW and LBG with PMAIAR and HMTTN. The only other mainstream guitarist I can think of who does that as well as Joe is Eric Clapton.

Freypower
10-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I should point out that I saw the HFO tour in Sydney in 1995, and I have very fond memories of it because the setlist was so well balanced & Don was on drums for Wasted Time & Desperado, while Glenn did both SB & YBTTC.

I was so excited that I did not notice any 'animosity'; certainly not between Glenn & Don Henley. Don Felder interacted mainly with Joe, which was to be expected. He could hardly interact with Don Henley who was sitting behind him but I suppose it should be said that he & Glenn barely acknowledged each other. But at the time, I didn't care & I still don't. I was glad it wasn't like the TV show, which was far too slow & dominated by Henley

I should also point out that Get Over It was not played on the Australasian tour, so was not played in Christchurch; that was really the only big disappointment of the night. I have Mountain View but I haven't watched it for a long time.

Midnight Visitor
10-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Aye. Love the HFO version of it, at the end when they all go for the 'Ahh' is magical. It's a huge credit to Joe that he can pull off both extremes of performing so well - the likes of RMW and LBG with PMAIAR and HMTTN. The only other mainstream guitarist I can think of who does that as well as Joe is Eric Clapton.

And that's one of the main reasons I love that man. Amazingly versatile in his writing and performing style. What kind of music does Joe Walsh make? Most kinds!

shunlvswx
10-02-2013, 09:28 PM
I must admit. I love when Joe sang PMAINA and HMTTN on HFO. He can serious with the ballads even though people know him from up beat songs.

I love acoustic version of HC.

shunlvswx
10-26-2013, 08:30 PM
I just noticed that HFO premiered on MTV on this day in 1994.

I don't remembered if I watched it that night or I watched later on, but I fell in love with the Eagles when I was 14 even though it wasn't until this year I became fan fan of their music. I guess I better put in my DVD and watch it before I watch HOTE at 9:30pm.

sodascouts
11-08-2013, 05:34 AM
The Hell Freezes Over album turns 19 today - the album that reignited the Eagles and led to them still burnin' today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELL FREEZES OVER!

Houston Debutante
11-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Love the board style!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-08-2013, 07:52 PM
so glad that hell froze over lol:grooving:
love the cd and video and glad they got back together to do it

deb828
11-08-2013, 10:16 PM
so glad that hell froze over lol:grooving:
love the cd and video and glad they got back together to do itJust got the HFO video today! I ordered it from eBay after seeing it recommended here on the board. It is really great! Wonderful to see the songs from the CD played live!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
11-08-2013, 11:02 PM
It was wonderful to see them together again after all those years. The CD is awesome.

Topkat
11-11-2013, 05:23 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE HELL FREEZES OVER

Wow 19 years, doesn't seem that long ago!

zeldabjr
11-11-2013, 08:50 PM
I can't believe it's 19 years since it came out!!!...We all are so lucky to have it...I'm sure they can't believe it either...just think of all that they've done since then...

Happy Birthday Hell Freezes Over!!!

sad-cafe
11-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Just got the HFO video today! I ordered it from eBay after seeing it recommended here on the board. It is really great! Wonderful to see the songs from the CD played live!
I got mine this week as well. Love it !

HOpe they release a CD of the HOTE tour and a DVD

Brooke
11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm a little late with my birthday wishes, but still love it! After all these years!

Definitely a :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
11-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Watched HFO last night, Don looks so handsome, it's so terrific. That version of The Last Resort ~ wow!

sodascouts
11-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I need to do that before HFO week ends. These anniversaries are a great excuse to revisit favorites!

shunlvswx
11-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm watching GoodFellas right now so I will watch HFO tomorrow.

Wow!! 19 years and the 20th anniversary is in April. I was 14 when HFO premiere on MTV. I still don't remember if I watched it when it first aired or later. I just don't remember, but that's when I got introduce to the Eagles even though I didn't become a huge fan until a few years ago.

zeldabjr
05-10-2014, 01:06 PM
WOW...I just saw this on Amazon.com...look at the price for vinyl of HFO!!! really???

Product Details
Hell Freezes Over by Eagles (1994) - Live
(239)
Formats Price New Used Collectible
Audio CD, Live (1994)
Order in the next 2 hours to get it by Monday, May 12.
FREE Shipping on orders over $35
$7.50 $4.90 $0.01 $13.98
Vinyl, Import (2004)
$1,999.00 $938.00
Other Formats: Audio Cassette (1994)

sodascouts
05-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Whoever's selling that is delusional!

MaryCalifornia
05-11-2014, 03:18 AM
I was thinking about LWKUA, and wondering about the decision-making that went into including it as one of the "new" songs on HFO - a song written by Paul Carrack. I guess they wanted TBS to have another song to sing, and that one was probably floating around from a couple of years prior when Timothy and Felder recorded it, which would have been convenient since everything with HFO came together so very quickly.

Obviously Don and Glenn must have liked it to include it, but does anyone else wonder if they were surprised that it actually became a hit? I don't mean surprised because it's not worthy, but because they had to come up with something so quickly, and it actually worked out pretty well! I'll bet Paul Carrack was pleasantly surprised!

05-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah - Quite honestly, I'm surprised to see such a ripoff listed on Amazon. I expect to see stuff like that on eBay or Craig's List, but not Amazon. I have become accustomed to seeing reasonable, fair prices from them.

And MC, I agree that expediency may have been a big factor in selecting LWKUA for HFO. Having said that, the Eagles version is perfect and it is a gorgeous melodic song, IMHO. Timothy's voice is perfectly suited for it, coupled with the beautiful Eagles harmonies and arrangement that take it to another level. In addition, it is one of the true 'love' songs that the band has ever recorded, so, no, I'm not surprised that it was a hit.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Guess what I finally purchased last week! Yes, the DVD. I plan on watching it sometime this weekend.

sodascouts
05-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Yay! You won't regret it!

zeldabjr
05-23-2014, 10:13 PM
VA...YAY!!!...can't wait to hear what you think of it!!

05-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Me too! Happy viewing, VA! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm sure that since I finally shelled out the money for it, they'll offer it in Blu-Ray in less than a month...since that's what I was waiting on.

thelastresort
05-24-2014, 08:49 PM
You don't need BluRay to realise how epic it is ;)

MaryCalifornia
05-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Wait, has VA never seen the DVD??

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Nope, never have! I have the CD and I've listened to it exactly twice. Long, sad, pathetic story that of course involves a man, because most long, sad, pathetic stories involve them.

WalshFan88
05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Long, sad, pathetic story that of course involves a man, because most long, sad, pathetic stories involve them.

Hey now! :hilarious:

MaryCalifornia
05-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't think you will be thinking of said bad man when you are viewing the awesomeness of the DVD. Enjoy!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Well, MC, I actually did think of him. He's not a bad guy, just he and I never had the same feelings for each other at the same time, I guess, and it never went anywhere. But, he's a musician (rhythm guitar player, imagine that...), and he learned HOTM and did a very good job with it. It was a special song between us, and so listening tonight, on top of all the other baggage I have with this time period, I nearly turned it off. I will say that the "visual's" kept me from doing that! What a bunch of great looking guys!

Speaking of visuals, watching a non HD DVD on an HD TV makes them all look short and stout. There's probably a setting on my TV to keep that from happening, and I thought I already had it set. I guess I didn't. Perhaps next time I'll watch on my computer.

I guess because Glenn doesn't do any of the talking at the beginning, and it starts out with HC, the first time you really hear Glenn's voice is TS. So amazing, I just love his voice. I bet none of you knew that! :hilarious: Anyway, it actually brought tears to my eyes.

I'm glad I bought it, glad I watched it.

05-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Yeah VA - I have that same problem with watching my some of my DVDs on my HD TV. I can't figure out how to fix it and no one I know seems to have the answer either. I was told you have to have a special cable, but I don't know if that's true. So if you figure it out, please let me know.

But back to HFO, I'm glad you finally watched it. It's good therapy! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 10:12 AM
VA & Dreamer. We watch HFO on HD TV & don't have a problem. I asked Harold about it as he sets it up & is constantly moving our TVs. He asked if you have an HDMI cable & what brand of TV you have.

05-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks GL - Even though this is off-topic if we can diagnose the problem w/o too much effort, it may help others who are having a similar problem. Even though I don't have a clue, maybe the 'special' cable we need is the HDMI one. All I know is the one I currently have is from my old TV (not HD) and has the yellow, white, and red cables. BTW - my HD TV is an LG. (Good grief ... could there be any more acronyms in one sentence? :wink: )

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks GL - Even though this is off-topic if we can diagnose the problem w/o too much effort, it may help others who are having a similar problem. Even though I don't have a clue, maybe the 'special' cable we need is the HDMI one. All I know is the one I currently have is from my old TV (not HD) and has the yellow, white, and red cables. BTW - my HD TV is an LG. (Good grief ... could there be any more acronyms in one sentence? :wink: )

The HDMI cable is used in place of the yellow, white & red one. You need the HDMI cable to get HD. You need it even to get true HD on your TV (on the HD channels. Do you have a Blu-Ray player? It upconverts the DVDs to close to Blu-Ray quality. Harold gave me this info & if it gets any more complicated I am going to get him to write the reply. LOL! He started to go on about settings. LOL!

At least I didn't introduce any new acronyms. :laugh:

05-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Thank you and Harold, GL. My TV picture is fine as long as I stay on the HD channels. But what Harold is saying is consistent with what others have told me. I just didn't know that the 'special' cable is called an HDMI cable. Now, when I go to Best Buy, I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 11:38 AM
I have a Blu-Ray player and so of course an HDMI cable. I tried it on a non-Blu-Ray player and a different HD TV and the picture was much worse. So I'm guessing that what I have is the best it can be. I've just gotten spoiled!

The close-ups of the guys were OK, it was the longer shots of them standing, where you can see all of them that were obviously not HD. I'm sure if they release it in BDVD, a lot of people will say they are only after more money, but I for one would appreciate it.

If I had to choose, though, I'd prefer a HOTE concert DVD and/or CD to be released.

thelastresort
05-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Initialisms people! Acronyms spell out words ;)

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Thank you and Harold, GL. My TV picture is fine as long as I stay on the HD channels. But what Harold is saying is consistent with what others have told me. I just didn't know that the 'special' cable is called an HDMI cable. Now, when I go to Best Buy, I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Even your HD channels will look even better using the cable! :) If you you have a digital box you may need two cables.

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 12:25 PM
I have a Blu-Ray player and so of course an HDMI cable. I tried it on a non-Blu-Ray player and a different HD TV and the picture was much worse. So I'm guessing that what I have is the best it can be. I've just gotten spoiled!

The close-ups of the guys were OK, it was the longer shots of them standing, where you can see all of them that were obviously not HD. I'm sure if they release it in BDVD, a lot of people will say they are only after more money, but I for one would appreciate it.

If I had to choose, though, I'd prefer a HOTE concert DVD and/or CD to be released.

VA, do you have your TV screen setting at 16x9?

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Thanks, tlr. I didn't know that. :)

05-26-2014, 01:23 PM

Technically true, tlr. Sorry, but some of us tend to use the two words interchangeably. Initialism isn't a commonly-used term here in the U.S.

GlennLover
05-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Technically true, tlr. Sorry, but some of us tend to use the two words interchangeably. Initialism isn't a commonly-used term here in the U.S.

That's probably why I hadn't heard it.

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 08:11 PM
It has become acceptable to use "acronym" and "initialism" interchangeably, at least in the USA (see definition 2 (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym)). Indeed, in the USA, many users will get a red underline if they try to use "initialism" because the default dictionaries don't even have it in there.

sodascouts
11-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Hard on the heels of Long Road Out of Eden and Eagles Live's anniversaries is that of Hell Freezes Over... we've already had the anniversary of the video, but today is the anniversary of the album release.

HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY HELL FREEZES OVER ALBUM!

Glennsallnighter
11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HELL FREEZES OVER

I am so glad that hell did indeed freeze over - what a wealth of wonderful new music it and subsequent work from our guys has brought us. I love this album. It is the second one that I bought (the first being the VBO)!

shunlvswx
11-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Happy 20th Birthday to the HFO album. I didn't get this album until last year as Christmas present. The best Christmas present ever. :headbang:

11-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Wow - It's been over 20 years since the resumption. I can hardly wrap my brain around the fact that the band has been together over twice as long since HFO than they were in the 70's.

bluefeather
11-09-2014, 05:23 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HFO

sodascouts
11-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Hell Freezes Over turns 21 today! It can legally drink now, lol.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELL FREEZES OVER!

AlreadyGone95
11-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Happy 21st birthday HFO! :evil: :evil: (it's the closest smilie we have to the devil or Hell lol)

11-08-2015, 02:05 PM
HAPPY 21ST ANNIVERSARY HELL FREEZES OVER!!!

Yep - The resumption's all grown up and mature now! :wink: :grin:

Honestly, I can't put into words how grateful I am that these guys got back together and are still going strong. Having been a fan since the beginning and not having the opportunity to ever see them live in the 70's, I was extremely disappointed that I wasn't able to see a HFO show either. So, not only did I get a second chance, I actually got a third chance. I decided not to tempt fate any longer and finally took full advantage of it! I'm so glad that I finally wised up (at least, about the Eagles)! :rockon:

NOLA
11-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Happy 21st Anniversary to Hell Freezes Over!!!

1 MTV special + 1 album + 5 concerts = good times! :rockon::drummer::guitar:

So many great memories...just my favorite era for the band. :heart::heart::heart:

bluefeather
11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
21 years since Hell Froze Over! :drummer::guitar::headbang::heart::heart::heart:

LuvTim
11-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Congrats HFO!!!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

shunlvswx
11-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Happy 21st Birthday to Hell Freezes Over album. It is now legal to drink. I remembered years ago when they talked about MTV finally legal to drink. LOL

shunlvswx
04-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Happy 22nd Birthday to the Hell Freezes Over tapings. Thank goodness they got back together and we had the guys as a group for 22 great years.

I guess I will pop in my DVD.

buffyfan145
04-25-2016, 04:36 PM
When this aired this is what really got me into the Eagles myself. I already knew them thanks to my parents being fans but I loved watching this and I was only 8 at the time. It was just awesome to watch them all together and that's when I really started wanting to know more about them, especially Glenn. :)

NOLA
04-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Can't believe it's been 22 years since the recording! Where has the time gone? I remember watching the special on MTV like it was yesterday. Anyway, maybe we'll get lucky one day if the powers that be decide to release the rest of the show, specifically the second night. What a joy that would be! :)

sodascouts
04-25-2016, 07:10 PM
This special introduced me to the Eagles as a band. We're so lucky they "resumed"!

shunlvswx
04-25-2016, 07:14 PM
This special introduced me to the Eagles as a band. We're so lucky they "resumed"!

Same here, Soda. I hate I stopped listening at the start of the 21st century. Even though I had 10 of their songs on MP3 player, I wasn't fan fan until 2013. I hate I waited so late to find them again.

AlreadyGone95
04-26-2016, 02:52 AM
Happy anniversary to HFO tapings! I'm so glad that the band reunited/resumed. I've watched most of the show online, but have yet to watch the DVD that I bought a few months ago. I'll try to do that tonight.

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2016, 04:44 AM
I watched the DVD last night too - bittersweet in light of what has happened. Definitely my favourite on the DVD has to be The Girl From Yesterday - I know some people find it a bit too country for them but I love it.

I'd love too to see a release of the HFO night 2

DivineDon
04-26-2016, 07:08 AM
I love the Girl from yesterday because it is pure country.

How wonderful it was and how lucky we all were that they came back together after their 'fourteen year break' - look at all that we would have missed out on.

Happy anniversary HFO!!!

Jonny Come Lately
04-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Happy 22nd birthday to the original recording of Hell Freezes Over! I'm extremely glad they reunited as we got some absolutely brilliant performances. If I had to pick one favourite, I'd go for the gorgeous rendition of PMAIAR - I really love Joe's slide playing on the outro and I think it takes on a new dimension thematically knowing that he was making his first steps along the road to recovery. However, I also really like the acoustic HC, The Last Resort, ICTYW and Take It Easy. Of the new songs, I really love Get Over It and Learn To Be Still.

I've never mentioned this before, but you may be interested to know that my whole family absolutely LOVES Learn To Be Still. It unites the four members of my family (myself included) in a way that very, very few songs do - all four of us love it. If I put on playlists in the car it frequently gets repeated!

I remember the day I bought HFO on CD last summer I put it in the car and immediately set it to play LTBS. I'd always liked it a lot and thought it was underrated, but I was surprised as it was an instant hit with both my mum and, more unusually, my sister (her music tastes are quite different from mine) and they asked me to repeat it. I let the disc play on from then and so they heard Tequila Sunrise and then the acoustic version of HC came on - same result as LTBS, both absolutely adored it. I know this is my sister's favourite version of the song (I love both but the original takes some beating). They loved those two songs so much that they kept playing them over and over. They then went somewhere else after I went home and they were enjoying them so much that I couldn't get the CD out of the car to upload it onto my computer!

shunlvswx
10-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Happy 22nd Birthday to the Hell Freezes Over special. It premiered on MTV 22 years ago today.

buffyfan145
10-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I couldn't remember when the date was as I was only 8 but this was the day I officially became a fan on my own, even though I grew up with their music, and now I know when it was. I loved this concert so much and my parents were so happy to see the Eagles back together again and my brother and I getting to watch too. We watched it all together as a family and brings back great memories. :D

Jonny Come Lately
10-27-2016, 12:05 PM
It's hard to believe it is 22 years since the HFO special. It's almost as old as me! :D I was listening to a few songs from the Christchurch show from the HFO tour earlier without knowing it was the anniversary of the premiere.

shunlvswx
11-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Happy 22nd Birthday to the Hell Freezes Over CD.

travlnman2
11-08-2016, 01:07 PM
Here Is a cover of Love Will Keep Us Alive I made. :). Its nice music for a stressful day ;)

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-masi-89354061/love-will-keep-us-alive-covercalpdicararackvale

shunlvswx
11-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Happy 22nd Birthday to Get Over It. I love that song and that was always my favorite from the Hell Freezes Over album. I wish they didn't stop playing it after the HFO tour ended.

groupie2686
04-25-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet...it's been 23 years since the taping of HFO, today.

shunlvswx
04-26-2017, 09:40 AM
I usually bring the threads to the top, but I was so busy at work yesterday that I didn't get the chance.

So Happy 23rd Birthday to Hell Freezes Over taping. Thank goodness they agreed to give it another try and this also saved Joe's life. We don't know if Joe will still be alive today if the guys didn't decide to reunion.

New Kid In Town
04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Shun - I could not agree more ! I remember when the announcement was made. I was shocked beyond belief and so excited. I had never thought it would take place.

shunlvswx
10-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Happy 23rd Anniversary to Hell Freezes Over premiering on MTV.

Magnolia
10-27-2017, 04:33 AM
I watched the dvd for Hell Freezes Over for the first time today and my eyes never left Glenn. It solidified him being my favorite for me. I just couldn't take my eyes off of him.