PDA

View Full Version : Concerts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Houston Baby
08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I am going to see Bruno Mars in a couple of weeks. My bestie got tickets for us for my birthday. I took her to see Jackson Browne last year for her birthday & we had a great time! So we decided to start doing concerts for our birthday presents. I am taking her to see Pink in November in San Antonio for hers. :partytime:

NYC Fan
08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I am going to see Bruno Mars in a couple of weeks. My bestie got tickets for us for my birthday. I took her to see Jackson Browne last year for her birthday & we had a great time! So we decided to start doing concerts for our birthday presents. I am taking her to see Pink in November in San Antonio for hers. :partytime:

HB-

Have fun! I thought Bruno Mars was one of the highlights of the Grammys in 2012. What a great performer, and fab backing band. I'd love to see him.

Fun tradition of seeing concerts as birthday presents! Great memories for you both.

Prettymaid
08-04-2013, 10:59 PM
I took her to see Jackson Browne last year for her birthday & we had a great time!

:inlove:

Houston Baby
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks NYC! It got harder & harder to figure out what to get each other for birthdays since we have been best friends for like 35 years! :hilarious:
So instead of material things, we decided to go for experiences.

PM - I thought of you & Troub last year when I went to see JB but I wasn't on here yet. It was a wonderful concert. We were on the 4th row. It was so casual, great music. Brenda said afterwards it was like sitting in the living room with him. There was great rapport with the audience & he is so funny!! And it doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes! :wink:

Oh and I didn't mean to leave out the b-day girl - Brooke!

Brooke
08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks NYC! It got harder & harder to figure out what to get each other for birthdays since we have been best friends for like 35 years! :hilarious:
So instead of material things, we decided to go for experiences.

PM - I thought of you & Troub last year when I went to see JB but I wasn't on here yet. It was a wonderful concert. We were on the 4th row. It was so casual, great music. Brenda said afterwards it was like sitting in the living room with him. There was great rapport with the audience & he is so funny!! And it doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes! :wink:

Oh and I didn't mean to leave out the b-day girl - Brooke!

Well! I've been quite offended by this for, like, 7 days now! :hilarious:

Actually, just saw it cause I'm waaaayyyy behind around here and trying to catch up! :lol:

Houston Baby
08-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Bruno Mars tonight!! Woo Hoo!

I am excited, his reviews so far have been excellent! We shall see! :partytime:

prayfordaylight
08-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Bruno Mars tonight!! Woo Hoo!

I am excited, his reviews so far have been excellent! We shall see! :partytime:

Have fun!

Off to see Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues in a tiny venue tonight myself.

Houston Baby
08-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks PFD! And you have fun too! Too bad I can't be in a tiny venue tonight. It's in the Toyota Center - and it's sold out - @ 20,000 other people! :-(

Glennsallnighter
08-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Enjoy tonight HB. Our Billy Joel tix arrived today for 1st November.

I can use this gig as a 'dress rehearsal' for the following week!

Prettymaid
08-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Have fun HB and PFD!

SallyGee
08-15-2013, 09:45 PM
We're going to see Guess Who Saturday night.

Houston Baby
08-16-2013, 09:05 AM
SG - Have fun! I would love to see the Guess Who!

I will post later but suffice to say:

BRUNO MARS WAS OUTSTANDING!

He is one talented guy!

Glennsallnighter
08-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Awwww that's great HB! Glad you enjoyed the gig. Looking forward to some more details.

Prettymaid
08-16-2013, 01:17 PM
We're going to see Guess Who Saturday night.

Ooh, my fave is No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature. I'm sure they'll do it! Have fun!

Brooke
08-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Love the Guess Who! Is the original singer still with them?

I also love No Sugar Tonight, These Eyes, and Share the Land. It would be great to see them!

SallyGee
08-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Just got home from the Guess Who concert. What a great show! The only original member is the bass player. The lead singer was awesome! His voice was amazing and he really got the audience involved. Singing, clapping. For a bunch of 50 and 60 year olds, the audience was really rocking! If anyone has the chance to see them, I highly recommend it. A good old fashioned rock and roll show.

Brooke
08-19-2013, 03:14 PM
SG, glad you had a good time, sounds fun!

Prettymaid
08-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your review, SG.

Glennsallnighter
08-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Glad you enjoyed it SG!

Houston Baby
08-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Ok, I wanted to write a few more words @ the Bruno Mars concert besides outstanding though it truly was. The guy can sing & puts on a great show. He is one talented young man & I love to watch him dance (what song does that remind us of). Plus he is so funny & personable. After the first couple of songs (Moonshine & Natalie) he said “This is what we came to do. We came to get you all moving. We came to get you all dancing. Now put those camera phones down & move!” I had to smile thinking of GF & DH & their frustration with that. Bruno then proceeded to sing every song of his plus some others. Introducing When I was Your Man he said it was the hardest song he’s ever written & it was still the hardest song for him to sing – very emotional. One cute moment was when he gave a tutorial to the guys on the secret of R & B. His advice was to take your girl’s hand, look deep & soulfully into her eyes & then real, real slow say D-A-M-N. He said “R&B - it’s all about knowing how to say the word Damn.” LOL! I must admit Bruno has R&B in him plus a lot of charm!! I also did not realize he plays the guitar so well, no JW but still good & he did a fantastic drum solo before exploding into his first encore of Locked Out of Heaven.

So those are my random thoughts on the concert. It was a very entertaining show without being too over the top. Whoever does the lighting & producing of his show does a fantastic job!

Ellie Goulding was the opening set and she did a fantastic job also. She was nonstop dancing & singing!

I apologize for rambling on here but this was the first time I have ever done a concert "review" - LOL!

sodascouts
08-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the review - you did fine!

NYC Fan
10-23-2013, 06:51 PM
A friend of mine sent this to me, and it's pretty cute. Not sure where to post this, but thought this thread seemed good. Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place, or I'll delete if it's already been posted!

I know this syndrome well. We call it PBDS (Post Bruce Depression Syndrome), but I sure felt it with the Eagles this Summer as well!

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/the_9_phases_of_post_concert_depression

sodascouts
10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh gosh, that is perfect!

Prettymaid
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Ha! They've got us pegged! Here we call it PEW (Post Eagles Withdrawal).

Houston Baby
10-25-2013, 12:52 PM
A friend of mine sent this to me, and it's pretty cute. Not sure where to post this, but thought this thread seemed good. Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place, or I'll delete if it's already been posted!

I know this syndrome well. We call it PBDS (Post Bruce Depression Syndrome), but I sure felt it with the Eagles this Summer as well!

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/the_9_phases_of_post_concert_depression

Oh yes - I have definitely experienced ALL phases of this with our guys!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I can't relate to any of this. What is this PEW of which you speak? :lie:

Glennsallnighter
11-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Great review HB, and brilliant for your first time reviewing.

We are going to Billy Joel tonight and as an added bonus, I got a voucher weeks ago for an Argentine restaurant called Buenos Aires Grill, so we will go for dinner beforehand. Really looking forward to both. Hubby and I don't get out on our own as much as we used to because of all the things the family are involved in!

I'm treating tonight as a 'warmup' for next week!

Houston Baby
11-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Thank you GA!
Enjoy your night out with hubby! Dinner and a concert sounds PERFECT! I have never seen Billy Joel in concert but I love his music. Let us know how he is. Have fun!!

Brooke
11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a great night out for you, Ga! Have fun and be sure to tell us about BJ! I like his music too!

Freypower
11-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Great review HB, and brilliant for your first time reviewing.

We are going to Billy Joel tonight and as an added bonus, I got a voucher weeks ago for an Argentine restaurant called Buenos Aires Grill, so we will go for dinner beforehand. Really looking forward to both. Hubby and I don't get out on our own as much as we used to because of all the things the family are involved in!

I'm treating tonight as a 'warmup' for next week!

If you have never seen Joel before you are in for a fantastic evening. I have seen him five times (once with Elton John).

WalshFan88
11-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Getting ready for my concert on Sunday. Keith Urban with Little Big Town opening.

Brooke
11-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Prepare for a great night, Austin!

Love them both!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
11-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Ok, do not laugh. He is not a rocker, but my husband got free tickets (it is the only way my husband would go) to see Michael Buble' last Friday. He was very good and I liked his voice. He has a really good rapport with the audience. He needs a little bit more of something when he sings Sinatra.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-09-2013, 11:56 AM
I think Michael is an amazing and funny entertainer, glad you had fun.
somehow we can never get tickets to see him they always sell out

Witchy Woman
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I think Michael is an amazing and funny entertainer, glad you had fun.
somehow we can never get tickets to see him they always sell out

That's because he's super hot, and the ladies like drooling over him !!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-09-2013, 07:50 PM
yep I already know that lol I might be 53 but I aint dead yet patty lol

WalshFan88
11-14-2013, 01:41 AM
I just realized I forgot to post a mini-review (of what I can remember!) of the Keith Urban/Little Big Town/Dustin Lynch show.

Dustin Lynch (opener) - He was pretty good. He's a new kid on the block and definitely has that typical country male voice. I'm not real cracked up on his songs except one (Cowboys & Angels) but his cover of Dust On The Bottle was rockin' (and twangin'). He didn't play real long but he was pretty good. Better than JD.

Little Big Town (next in line) - They were outstanding. They remind me of a cross between Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, and Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I love their songs and it was really cool to hear Tornado, Pontoon, Boondocks, Little White Church, etc. They covered the Oak Ridge Boys song "Elvira" and it blew the original away IMHO. I loved it. Johnny Duke (who is a Facebook friend now!) played slide guitar and it was swampy and had some nice singing. Then their cover of "The Chain". Holy moly. I had chills up and down every part of me. It was very surreal. It was so good and they really were on. They played a decent amount, more than Lynch but less (WAY) than Urban.

Keith Urban (the main shebang) - Keith was amazing! He really is IMO THE entertainer in country music today. He puts on a hell of a show and gives 110 percent and is so sweet to the kids in the audience and to the fans. I love his music especially his guitar playing. My favorite tune of the night was Stupid Boy. He plays a KILLER solo on the guitar that is so emotional and raw.

A couple notes from Keith's segment:

1. It was girl/woman city in the front rows. OMG I've never been to a concert with as many screaming women in all my life. That may be because I go see older bands that aren't "hot" right now. But I wasn't complaining. ;) One woman held up a sign saying "I want to be onstage with you". Keith saw it and brought her up and interviewed her about her favorite song of his, where she's from and she's losing her composure.

2. I fell down and made a laughing stock out of myself. I have vertigo/balance difficulties and I was going to sit down and I started spinning and I lost my footing and fell into the row of chairs behind me. Totally embarrassing. It was towards the end of the show and as much as I wanted to crawl under the table and die, I stuck it out.

3. He is extremely kind to children. He gave one teenage girl a signed Keith Urban guitar. He brought a toddler onstage and "interviewed" her much like the other woman I mentioned and asked her about her favorite KU song, where she's from. He really loves his fans and children.

EasyFeeling
11-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Great review, thanks Austin :D I'm a huge KU fan, some of the Eagles fans in here know that ;-)

Brooke
11-14-2013, 11:13 AM
EF, yes, I think you and I are the huge KU fans around here! :smitten:

Austin, I'm so glad you got to see him! I knew you would love it! I was completely blown away at the show I saw a few years ago at the PCC! He is so nice to his fans. At my show a girl managed to get up on the stage and he hugged her and took her camera and took a pic of the two of them! Can you imagine?!

I was shocked at the wildness of the crowd and that it was allowed! He actually promoted it. My review is in the KU thread probably.

Does he still have the long runway through the middle of the floor?

I would love to see LBT!

WalshFan88
11-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Austin, I'm so glad you got to see him! I knew you would love it! I was completely blown away at the show I saw a few years ago at the PCC! He is so nice to his fans. At my show a girl managed to get up on the stage and he hugged her and took her camera and took a pic of the two of them! Can you imagine?!

I was shocked at the wildness of the crowd and that it was allowed! He actually promoted it. My review is in the KU thread probably.

Does he still have the long runway through the middle of the floor?

I would love to see LBT!

No long runway anymore, although he does have an alternate stage B he uses for a couple songs so the people in the nosebleeds get some Keith love, lol.

sodascouts
11-14-2013, 08:35 PM
So glad you had a good time in spite of taking a fall, Austin! I'm just glad you weren't hurt. One time, at a Lindsey Buckingham show, a friend of mine fell down the last few stairs going to her seat and broke her finger. She refused to leave until the show was over anyway!

I agree with you that LBT and Keith Urban are great. I can understand why those women went wild; he's not exactly hard to look at. ;) So cool how he is with fans! I saw LBT at JazzFest and I also loved them with Stevie on CMT. I agree with how they've very Mac-y and Eagly which of course makes me love 'em.

WalshFan88
11-15-2013, 01:35 AM
So glad you had a good time in spite of taking a fall, Austin! I'm just glad you weren't hurt. One time, at a Lindsey Buckingham show, a friend of mine fell down the last few stairs going to her seat and broke her finger. She refused to leave until the show was over anyway!

I agree with you that LBT and Keith Urban are great. I can understand why those women went wild; he's not exactly hard to look at. ;) So cool how he is with fans! I saw LBT at JazzFest and I also loved them with Stevie on CMT. I agree with how they've very Mac-y and Eagly which of course makes me love 'em.

Thanks. Yes it marks the first time falling at a show. Hope it's the last too!

Yeah LBT's harmonies are incredible.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the review Austin. And thanks to Brooke and EasyFeeling for turning me on to Keith's music. I love him too. I've still yet to see him live, but it's still on my bucket list.

And I can imagine how embarrassed you must have felt about your fall, but on the bright side, you'll never see any of those people again anyway. As Nancy said, thankfully, you weren't hurt. :thumbsup:

Houston Baby
11-15-2013, 07:36 PM
And at least you did not fall down the concrete stairs like Soda, Dreamer & I witnessed in Memphis. That was dreadful! The guy did get up with the help of his friends & hopefully they kept an eye on him.

WalshFan88
11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Definitely glad I didn't get hurt, or god forbid someone else!!!

HB - That sounds bad!! :( Hope he was ok.

sodascouts
11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh gosh, that was horrifying. We were walking out and heard several loud thuds one after the other in the stair well. We looked up and there was a guy sprawled face down on the stairs; he'd just fallen down several of them, face forward. His head was bleeding but he was conscious and able to stand with help; however, I hope his friends made sure he didn't have a concussion before they parted ways.

EasyFeeling
11-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Yep, I think so ;-)

Thanks for the review Austin. And thanks to Brooke and EasyFeeling for turning me on to Keith's music. I love him too. I've still yet to see him live, but it's still on my bucket list.

I am in the same situation, Dreamer... almost ;-) I am waiting for him to come back since I've seen him in 2007. And to be honest, I don't think he WILL come back. Why playing for 1000 people when you can play in front of 10000? I don't blame him but wish he would think of his European fans. I am still hoping though...
New album is out and what I don't understand is that they will release it over here in February 2014 !!! Why??? Well, if he doesn't come back this time to promote it he will NEVER come back I guess :-x

Prettymaid
11-19-2013, 10:24 PM
WF, thanks for posting your review. Glad you had a good time. I figured you would mention the fact the the ladies of LBT are easy on the eyes. ;) Maybe they're not your type.??.

I wouldn't be too embarrassed about falling down. People probably just thought you were drunk. ;)

WalshFan88
11-20-2013, 01:31 AM
WF, thanks for posting your review. Glad you had a good time. I figured you would mention the fact the the ladies of LBT are easy on the eyes. ;) Maybe they're not your type.??.

I wouldn't be too embarrassed about falling down. People probably just thought you were drunk. ;)

Haha they definitely are! I just didn't want to say much. :hilarious:

Yeah, I'm sure that's what everyone thought - LOL.

NYC Fan
11-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I went to see Amos Lee at the Beacon last night. What a fantastic show. He plays such a great mix of folk, blues, bluegrass and soul and his voice is amazing.

His new album is growing on me and I like some of his older stuff better, but all the new songs sounded great live. He's just started out on this new tour, so if you get a chance to see him, I'd recommend it! Really fun show.

I'm also going to see Josh Ritter tomorrow night and am really looking forward to that. He's wonderful in concert and is so happy on the stage. Really engages the audience and has so much fun.

On an Eagles related note, I cannot imagine how cool it would have been to see them at the Beacon when they played there last year. It's such a wonderful venue. I still think they should film a show from this tour there for DVD release. Arenas don't do the first hour of that show justice, and I think a place like the Beacon would be perfect for a video. How about it, guys? ;-)

Topkat
11-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I went to see Amos Lee at the Beacon last night. What a fantastic show. He plays such a great mix of folk, blues, bluegrass and soul and his voice is amazing.

His new album is growing on me and I like some of his older stuff better, but all the new songs sounded great live. He's just started out on this new tour, so if you get a chance to see him, I'd recommend it! Really fun show.

I'm also going to see Josh Ritter tomorrow night and am really looking forward to that. He's wonderful in concert and is so happy on the stage. Really engages the audience and has so much fun.

On an Eagles related note, I cannot imagine how cool it would have been to see them at the Beacon when they played there last year. It's such a wonderful venue. I still think they should film a show from this tour there for DVD release. Arenas don't do the first hour of that show justice, and I think a place like the Beacon would be perfect for a video. How about it, guys? ;-)

I love the Beacon also, & I was lucky enough to get to that Eagles show there in Nov. last year. It was a short show, only 1 hour, but it was great seeing them in the smaller place. I doubt they will go back there after selling out 3 nights at the Garden, but you never know. That was a special event for them, not a regular concert. Glad you enjoyed your show there too!

NYC Fan
11-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I love the Beacon also, & I was lucky enough to get to that Eagles show there in Nov. last year. It was a short show, only 1 hour, but it was great seeing them in the smaller place. I doubt they will go back there after selling out 3 nights at the Garden, but you never know. That was a special event for them, not a regular concert. Glad you enjoyed your show there too!

TK-

Thanks! Amos was great. Would love to see the Eagles film the current show in a smaller than arena-sized venue. Doubtful it will happen, but it would be very cool.

Lucky you to be at that Beacon show. That venue is my favorite in NY to see a concert. Not really a bad seat, and relatively intimate. Can't imagine seeing the guys there!

SallyGee
03-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Going to see the Allman Brothers at the Beacon on March 12, and Ringo at the Count Basie in June. The Count Basie Theater is similar to the Beacon, but it is only 10 minutes from my house!

WalshFan88
03-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Very cool SG. I hear this next run of shows will be their last (ABB). Glad you are getting to see them.

SallyGee
03-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I saw the Allman Bros. a few weeks ago. They were really good, but I think the show was more for hardcore fans, rather than a casual fan like myself. I only knew 3 songs all night. No Ramblin' Man, no Jessica. One thing I really liked- before the show, you could order a live recording of the show. We paid then and after the show we picked it up. We only had to wait about 20 minutes. If you didn't want to wait, you could have it mailed to you, but I'm sure there was a charge for shipping. The sound quality was really good. I think this is a great idea. I would love to have a CD of concerts I attend.
We have decided to see as many shows as we can when people we want to see come around. We're not getting any younger, and neither are they!Shows coming up - Ringo , Crosby, Stills and Nash, James Taylor, and the Eagles!

Tiffanny Twisted
03-31-2014, 06:35 AM
I agree with you.
And what you guys got with the cd is what Hall and Oates use to do.
I love to listen to the concert that I was at.
They in effect make their own bootlegs and cell them ...lol
who wouldn't spend 20.00 for a live cd made of a show that they attended?

Great idea.

prayfordaylight
03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
The Who did the live recording thing on their 2006 tour. I love my CDs.

I'm in the same boat - seeing everyone I can now. I've seen almost everyone I want to (who's alive and not retired) and now I'm seeing a lot of people I think I should.

Brooke
03-31-2014, 01:21 PM
That is a great idea! Selling their own bootlegs! Why didn't our guys think of that?!

We've been trying to see everyone we can for the last few years too. We never saw most of them back in the day, so we are trying to make up for lost time! Not much time left for many of our favorites!

Brooklyn Roads
04-06-2014, 08:20 PM
I think the only concerts of interest for us this year (so far) are Fleetwood Mac and Barry Gibb. We haven't gotten tickets for either yet, but I am sure we can get some if we need to. We could also go up to Tahoe to check the 2nd go around of the Eagles History Tour in August, but I think since we just saw them in February, we're going to pass.

Maybe we'll also catch a good act at the Alameda County Fair this summer, too.

zeldabjr
04-09-2014, 10:18 PM
I just found out Kenny Wayne Shepherd is going to be at the Seneca Allegany Casino next month...excited..hope I can find someone to go with me...

Grey Sadler
04-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Sunday night at my old university, my bestie and I went to see two Americana/Folk bands--the Carolina Chocolate Drops and Old Crow Medicine Show...awesome, awesome awesome, all the way down to the part where we all shouted JOHNSON CITY TN during "Wagon Wheel"!! :partytime:

Between this, a local show at the Down Home here in JC, and Casting Crowns last month...I've been to more shows this year than in the last decade or so. I still wish I could have made our boys' show in Knoxville, but...maybe next time...

sodascouts
04-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Good for you! Meanwhile, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles have rendered me unable to afford any other concerts! lol

Houston Baby
04-29-2014, 09:09 PM
I know how you feel Soda. I had to turn down 2 concert invites today. Well they were concert invites to buy my own ticket. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
05-03-2014, 12:08 AM
I know how you feel Soda. I had to turn down 2 concert invites today. Well they were concert invites to buy my own ticket. :hilarious:

:(

:hilarious:

SallyGee
06-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Went to see Ringo last week. Always fun to see a Beatle in concert. They are such a big part of musical history! Of course the whole place sang along with every Beatle song. So much fun. His All Starr band was Todd Rundgren, guitar player from Toto, keyboard player from Santana, guitar player from Mister Mister. ( Sorry, I don't know their names.)So they each did a few of their hits. They sounded good, but the Beatle songs were definitely the highlights.
Last night we saw the Doobie Brothers and Peter Frampton. They both sounded great, but I enjoyed the Doobie Brothers a little more because I knew every song. Peter Frampton was really good, but I didn't know some of his songs. I never realized what an awesome guitar player he is. Austin, if you get the chance to see him, go. You. would really appreciate him. He really seemed to be having a great time playing. I love to see that. He had some tough times for a while there, so it's nice to see him doing what he loves.

sad-cafe
06-29-2014, 11:46 PM
I so want to see the Doobie Brothers someday. Was it with Thom Johnson . Pat Simmons is he heart of that group.

SallyGee
06-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Yes SC. They were both there and both sounded great. Pat still has his long hair.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-30-2014, 06:33 PM
sounds like they were both good shows sally g

Prettymaid
07-04-2014, 12:29 AM
I have really gotten into the Doobie Brothers this past year. Saw them last year about halfway back on the floor - enjoyed them then...love them now! I'm waiting to see them without Peter Frampton or Boston or anyone else! Looks like I have to wait until next year. Oh, and I want to see them from the first row center! Lol!

SallyGee
07-18-2014, 10:12 PM
We saw James Taylor last night. He still has that great voice. His concerts make you feel like you are sitting around with a big group of friends. And what a great guy. He spent the whole 20 minute intermission at the foot of the stage signing autographs. He did the same at the end of the show. He played some songs from his new album. Loved them.
Saw Crosby, Stills and Nash a few weeks ago. Harmonies are still spot on. They played some new stuff. I liked some, some not so much. First time I saw them and they did not play Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

Topkat
07-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Went to see Ringo last week. Always fun to see a Beatle in concert. They are such a big part of musical history! Of course the whole place sang along with every Beatle song. So much fun. His All Starr band was Todd Rundgren, guitar player from Toto, keyboard player from Santana, guitar player from Mister Mister. ( Sorry, I don't know their names.)So they each did a few of their hits. They sounded good, but the Beatle songs were definitely the highlights.
Last night we saw the Doobie Brothers and Peter Frampton. They both sounded great, but I enjoyed the Doobie Brothers a little more because I knew every song. Peter Frampton was really good, but I didn't know some of his songs. I never realized what an awesome guitar player he is. Austin, if you get the chance to see him, go. You. would really appreciate him. He really seemed to be having a great time playing. I love to see that. He had some tough times for a while there, so it's nice to see him doing what he loves.

I also saw the Ringo Concert. Were you at the Beacon Theater? We really enjoyed it too. Last year, I saw Frampton, who had Don Felder as a guest. This was also at the Beacon & was a great show.

As for Frampton, he was considered a young guitar aficionado back when he was 17 or so. He joined Humble Pie at a very young age when Steve Marriot recognized his talent. I think it was one of the big producers that convinced him to go solo, but his album kind of made him into a pretty boy star, which I don't think was the image he was after. He's really one of those great blues guitar players almost in the league of Eric Clapton.

SallyGee
08-01-2014, 09:40 PM
TK we saw Ringo at the Count Basis Theater in Red Bank. It's very similar to the Beacon. A nice small venue.
We saw Jon Bon Jovi there on Wednesday. It was a benefit for a local health clinic. It wasn't the Bon Jovi band. It was Jon and a group of local musicians called the Kings of Suburbia. They played some Bon Jovi songs and a lot of classic rock songs. It was great seeing him so close to home. He lives in our township and the Count Basie is in the next town over. It probably took him 5 minutes to get home. Southside Johnny come out and did a few songs too. I don't really consider myself a Bon Jovi fan, but I am a Jon Bon Jovi fan. He has done so much for our community over the years. I loved the show and I think he looks pretty good for a fifty something year old man. A nice Jersey boy!

sodascouts
08-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Glad you had a good time, SG!

DJ
08-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Had ticket to Paul McCartney but it's 99 degrees in the shade today and the venue is all outdoors! So I gave up the ticket, I'm bummed but the University had such strict restrictions you couldn't even bring in water and they wanted you there in your seat 2-3 hours before he started. Bummed out! :eyebrow:

Prettymaid
08-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Too bad, DJ. He's so good!

Brooke
08-06-2014, 09:43 AM
DJ, that's awful! So sorry!

Houston Baby
08-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry DJ! That is a bummer.

Brooklyn Roads
08-13-2014, 12:19 AM
So sorry, DJ! :(

Houston Baby
08-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Houston is a buzz of excitement with One Direction being in town for their concert tonight. They have been here a couple of days checking out some sights & I guess rehearsing.
Wonder if they will still be popular 40 years later like our guys? :shrug:

WalshFan88
08-22-2014, 05:07 PM
IMO, no way. They are nothing more than a boy band and will NOT stand the test of time, same with this other autotuned pop stuff that is out. There is no substance to their music.

SallyGee
08-22-2014, 08:51 PM
I saw Jackson Browne and John Fogerty a few weeks ago. Jackson was his usual awesome self, thanking us for coming, telling us how he loves playing at this venue. He's such a sweetheart! He did only 12 songs, but he sounded great. He opened for John Fogerty. He was Ok, but we were really there for Jackson. We left halfway through his set. He just seemed kind of hokey to me. Seemed to be trying too hard. We have tickets to see Jackson in October at the Beacon. So this was just a warm-up.
We saw Chicago and REO Speedwagon last week. I only knew 3 songs by REO Speedwagon. They were good, but not my type of music. Chicago was good. Only 3 original members left. A really different type of sound with the horns. I remember in high school, they played Color My World at every dance. All the couples would dance , and my friends and I would go in the bathroom because we never had anyone to dance with. Years later we realized maybe nobody asked us to dance because we were always in the bathroom! Gotta love those teenage years!
Our next show is Steeley Dan on September 3.
Then the Eagles September 10 & 13!

Prettymaid
08-22-2014, 10:34 PM
SG, I would see Jackson every week if I could! I love him that much!!! :inlove: We just saw him last month. We are also seeing him in October, in Indy. We will, of course, have purchased and listened to his new album by then. It's all very exciting, anticipating his new songs this time.

I've seen REO many times. I'm sure I have a soft spot for them because they are a hometown band, originally from Champaign, IL, just 30 miles away. I'm proud of them for making it big, and I love going to their shows and knowing every single song. We most recently saw them in June of this year, and I'm sure it won't be our last.

I have to say I'm envious of your concert schedule!

WalshFan88
08-24-2014, 04:05 PM
I honestly wasn't sure what to make of the concert before I went. I liked Jackson's music a lot but I kind of like loud bombastic rock n' roll high energy shows and I was afraid of being disappointed. Needless to say, I wasn't. So I guess I now have exceptions for Jackson and the Eagles. ;) The music speaks for itself.....that doesn't mean I don't enjoy AC/DC or Def Leppard shows though or that their music is less entertaining. ;) But I found myself being entertained and my attention kept at both the HOTE show and the JB solo show. Would love to see him with his band.

Brooke
08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
SG, I would see Jackson every week if I could! I love him that much!!! :inlove: We just saw him last month. We are also seeing him in October, in Indy. We will, of course, have purchased and listened to his new album by then. It's all very exciting, anticipating his new songs this time.

I've seen REO many times. I'm sure I have a soft spot for them because they are a hometown band, originally from Champaign, IL, just 30 miles away. I'm proud of them for making it big, and I love going to their shows and knowing every single song. We most recently saw them in June of this year, and I'm sure it won't be our last.

I have to say I'm envious of your concert schedule!

I would love to see REO again! Last time was in the late 70's! They were just in St. Louis, but it didn't work for us. :sad: Hopefully we will get a chance next year. I think I read somewhere that they have toured every year since they started! Amazing! They have tons of great songs!

SallyGee
08-25-2014, 09:59 PM
We are going to see Jackson with his band in October. We are going both nights. So we'll see the Eagles twice in September and Jackson twice in October. It's so nice to be able to tell people that on this board and know that you people get it and don't think I'm crazy!

Houston Baby
08-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Nope you're not crazy SallyGee! You're soooo lucky!!

Brooke
08-26-2014, 01:32 PM
SG, you are absolutely not crazy! What a great September and October you are going to have-4 of the best ever shows! :cool:

I'm very :jealous:

Freypower
08-26-2014, 06:58 PM
If you wish you can post the dates of the non-Eagles shows in this thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5109

Tiffanny Twisted
08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
We are going to see Jackson with his band in October. We are going both nights. So we'll see the Eagles twice in September and Jackson twice in October. It's so nice to be able to tell people that on this board and know that you people get it and don't think I'm crazy!
Yes SallyGee you are not crazy and this is a great place with great like minded people
I am so happy for you :cheers::cheers:

Freypower
09-14-2014, 07:49 PM
We went to see Joe Bonamassa last night. He is an outstanding blues guitarist & singer. He can play anything. He started with a short acoustic set & then powered his way through some amazing electric stuff, mainly using Les Pauls, although a Strat surfaced at one point.

Woke Up Dreaming (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Woke+Up+Dreaming)

Seagull (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bad-company-3bd6b8b0.html?song=Seagull)
(Bad Company (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/bad-company-3bd6b8b0.html) cover)
Jelly Roll (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/charles-mingus-13d6b585.html?song=Jelly+Roll)
(Charles Mingus (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/charles-mingus-13d6b585.html) cover)
Jockey Full of Bourbon (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/tom-waits-3bd6c0ac.html?song=Jockey+Full+of+Bourbon)
(Tom Waits (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/tom-waits-3bd6c0ac.html) cover)
Dislocated Boy (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Dislocated+Boy)

Athens to Athens (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Athens+to+Athens)

Dust Bowl (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Dust+Bowl)

Oh Beautiful (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Oh+Beautiful)

Who's Been Talking (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/howlin-wolf-2bd69842.html?song=Who%27s+Been+Talking)
(Howlin’ Wolf (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/howlin-wolf-2bd69842.html) cover)
Blues Deluxe (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/jeff-beck-2bd6b0f2.html?song=Blues+Deluxe)
(Jeff Beck (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/jeff-beck-2bd6b0f2.html) cover)
Slow Train (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Slow+Train)

Love Ain't a Love Song (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Love+Ain%27t+a+Love+Song)

Sloe Gin (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/tim-curry-63d60a5b.html?song=Sloe+Gin)
(Tim Curry (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/tim-curry-63d60a5b.html) cover)
The Ballad of John Henry (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=The+Ballad+of+John+Henry)

Django / Mountain Time (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Django+/+Mountain+Time)

Austin, if you read this (and you really should see this guy) perhaps you can help me out. At one point he played a steel blue coloured Gibson shaped body with what looked like a Stratocaster head. I looked at a couple of images of him with his guitars & couldn't see anything like this. Would you have an idea what it may be?

WalshFan88
09-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Austin, if you read this (and you really should see this guy) perhaps you can help me out. At one point he played a steel blue coloured Gibson shaped body with what looked like a Stratocaster head. I looked at a couple of images of him with his guitars & couldn't see anything like this. Would you have an idea what it may be?

It's a Les Paul/Firebird hybrid named after Joe called the "Bonabyrd". Les Paul body and Firebird neck.

http://i61.tinypic.com/8ycair.jpg

That pic is from his Twitter account.

Joe is indeed a great musician, hope to catch a concert someday. He certainly shares my love of old Gibson guitars.

Freypower
09-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for helping me with that. :thumbsup: I should add that he didn't use the Felder signature twin neck although I have a DVD of him playing it.

WalshFan88
09-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks for helping me with that. :thumbsup: I should add that he didn't use the Felder signature twin neck although I have a DVD of him playing it.

This isn't the thread for it but I'll just add that JB changes guitars (and amps) more than some change their underwear. It's the nature of the beast. You play 10 certain guitars for a tour/year and you're bound to be bored of them, so he changes his entire guitar locker every tour.

As a guitarist you like to be inspired by new gear (amps, pedals, even picks and strings!) and guitars and that's one of the reasons I have 30+ guitars. People ask "can you play them all at once?!", which the obvious answer is no as it is a loaded question but they all sound a little different, feel different, and bring something different to the table. Even two Sunburst Les Pauls won't sound exactly alike. I rotate which ones I play every day. We all have favorites but it's good to change it up now and again.

Glennsallnighter
09-21-2014, 07:27 AM
I agree Austin, while many people will have one particular guitar a particular guitar might just suit a certain song more or less than another one. Sure our guys change guitars almost every song, they wouldn't do it if is didn't make musical sense

WalshFan88
11-23-2014, 11:31 PM
Went to see Eric Church and Dwight Yoakam last Friday...AWESOME concert!!!

Halestorm opened, not a big fan but I just don't like modern rock. Too scream-o for me.

Dwight Yoakam was next. Dwight, to me, is country with an edge. It has traditional country through it but it's delivered in such a way that doesn't make me yawn. Loud Telecasters and twang with attitude. I dig it. Sorry, but Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr, Buck Owens, and Merle Haggard make me yawn...just not enough "oomph" to it. Waylon Jennings is tolerable, as is Johnny Cash as they have more attitude and loudness and more of a raw sound. Dwight takes Bakersfield and injects some major attitude and snarl into it and it comes out traditional country with a modern punch - more palatable for me.

Eric Church came on and proceeded to deliver the country version of a KISS show. AWESOME freaking performance. A lot of today's country is repackaged 70s/80s rock and I love that. It was loud Marshalls and Gibson and PRS guitars. I dug the hell out of it. I'm a rocker through and through and I was head banging the whole time. I actually stood up during "Drink In My Hand" and proceeded to sing right along, and I haven't done that in a concert in years. And I'm not even a drinker!

As much as I have a love/hate with modern day Nashville being generic, times like this reminds me of why I like it. Great shows and tours and giving you an entertaining show both sonically and visually, ala KISS. While I don't like all the lyrics, it's good music and good party tunes. It's like KISS, they may not be very deep lyrics but I'm not a lyrics guy really, give me the music! I like simplistic rock party tunes. And I'm not a partier so I guess I live vicariously through those songs.

So the modern country haters/traditional country purists (I'm looking at you "Saving Country Music" blog!) can keep their stuff, I like the new stuff just fine. Should it be called country - who knows but I like most of it. Some lyrics aren't great but the music is pure rock n' roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkI_myXGkk

sodascouts
11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm with you Austin - who cares what it's called as long as it's good?

I suppose we could do like Classic Rock, and call the old stuff Classic Country.

Glad you had a good time!

Brooke
11-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Glad you enjoyed yourself Austin!

And even though I get tired of all the drinkin' songs, I really like Drink in My Hand by EC! It's a fun song!

sad-cafe
11-28-2014, 02:30 AM
going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra next week. Should be a pretty awesome show.

Freypower
10-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Joe Bonamassa at the Opera House on September 30 was one for the purists.

Mountain Climbing (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Mountain+Climbing)
Blues of Desperation (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Blues+of+Desperation)
No Good Place for the Lonely (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=No+Good+Place+for+the+Lonely)
Drive (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Drive)
Love Ain't a Love Song (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Love+Ain%27t+a+Love+Song)
How Deep This River Runs (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=How+Deep+This+River+Runs)
Mainline Florida (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/eric-clapton-1bd6ad58.html?song=Mainline+Florida)
(Eric Clapton (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/eric-clapton-1bd6ad58.html) cover)
Livin' Easy (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=Livin%27+Easy)
The Valley Runs Low (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joe-bonamassa-3d6017b.html?song=The+Valley+Runs+Low)
Little Girl (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/john-mayall-and-the-bluesbreakers-1bd6ad34.html?song=Little+Girl)
(John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/john-mayall-and-the-bluesbreakers-1bd6ad34.html) cover)
Angel of Mercy (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/albert-king-3bd69840.html?song=Angel+of+Mercy)
(Albert King (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/albert-king-3bd69840.html) cover)
If I'm in Luck I Might Get Picked Up (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/betty-davis-13d6013d.html?song=If+I%27m+in+Luck+I+Might+Get+Pi cked+Up)
(Betty Davis (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/betty-davis-13d6013d.html) cover) (with Mahalia Barnes (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/mahalia-barnes-43d67b67.html))
Boogie Woogie Woman (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bb-king-2bd698fe.html?song=Boogie+Woogie+Woman)
(B.B. King (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/bb-king-2bd698fe.html) cover)
How Many More Times (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/led-zeppelin-13d6b509.html?song=How+Many+More+Times)
(Led Zeppelin (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/led-zeppelin-13d6b509.html) cover)
Encore:
Hummingbird (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bb-king-2bd698fe.html?song=Hummingbird)
(B.B. King (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/bb-king-2bd698fe.html) cover)

NB The first song was This Train but I'm not going to recopy the set list.

While I do own some of these songs I'm not that familiar with some of them. My favourite was probably Drive. I was surprised he did Mainline Florida. He is an exceptional guitarist but I don't think it would have hurt him to have included a more familiar track like The Ballad Of John Henry. Sadly I was unimpressed by Mahalia Barnes, daughter of Jimmy, the singer from one of our greatest bands, Cold Chisel.

Dire Straits Experience at the State Theatre last night (October 5):

Telegraph Road (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Telegraph+Road)

Walk of Life (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Walk+of+Life)
Romeo and Juliet (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Romeo+and+Juliet)
Tunnel of Love (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Tunnel+of+Love)
Your Latest Trick (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Your+Latest+Trick)
The Man's Too Strong (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=The+Man%27s+Too+Strong)
Private Investigations (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Private+Investigations)
Down to the Waterline (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Down+to+the+Waterline)
Lady Writer (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Lady+Writer)
Expresso Love (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Expresso+Love)
Two Young Lovers (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Two+Young+Lovers)
On Every Street (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=On+Every+Street)
Brothers in Arms (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Brothers+in+Arms)
Sultans of Swing (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Sultans+of+Swing)
Encore:
Money for Nothing (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?song=Money+for+Nothing)
Going Home: Theme from Local Hero (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mark-knopfler-3bd630cc.html?song=Going+Home:+Theme+from+Local+He ro)

It was great to see Chris White (sax) & Chris Whtten (drums) after all these years & the singer-guitarist Terence Reis is almost a Knopfler clone. He did all the intonations & little idiosyncratic things you would expect, for example 'he got the action, yeah he got the motion' in Walk of Life. Tunnel Of Love was exceptional; I could not fault it, nor Expresso Love. If I could have changed anything I would have swapped Two Young Lovers for either Twisting By The Pool or a personal favourite of mine, Solid Rock. Down To The Waterline was another highlight - I don't think I ever saw DS do that themselves. The Man's Too Strong was probably the big surprise, but they didn't quite get that pounding guitar which comes after the title quite right. NB again The first song was Telegraph Road, which I predicted.

People here who know how much I love Mark Knopfler will sympathise with me that I still hope to see the man himself again some day.

LuvTim
10-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Well, Mark Knopfler-- what's not to love? :guitar:
We love him, too.

I hope you'll get to see him, FP. I know it would be one of the highlights of your life!

shunlvswx
10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
I did end up seeing Travis Tritt last night. What a show!!! He puts on a great show. He's got some great moves for a 53 year old and still looks good looking. :rofl: I didn't know how great of a guitar player he was. When I see his videos, he usually doesn't do a guitar solo, but it was great.

Travis did play Take It Easy. The crowd went wild when he started singing the song. The whole audience was singing along to Take It Easy. I will always appreciate Travis getting the ball rolling for the guys to get back together 22 years ago. A crazy idea to some was the turning point. I did great a video of the appearance, but its on my phone.

Travis announced on his facebook page maybe an hour later after the show that his show was the biggest draw ever for the opening of the fair. That's fantastic. Maybe they will invite him back next year. Boyz II Men has been coming back for years and they are back this year. I'm seeing them on Tuesday. There's one thing about us Mississippians. We know how to rock and show up for concerts.

Brooke
10-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Fp and shun, sounds like great times for both of you! :thumbsup:

Fp, I hope you get to see MK too someday.

Freypower
10-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Well, Mark Knopfler-- what's not to love? :guitar:
We love him, too.

I hope you'll get to see him, FP. I know it would be one of the highlights of your life!

See him AGAIN. I saw him twice with Dire Straits & once solo - back in 2005. That is too long ago.

LuvTim
10-06-2016, 06:58 PM
See him AGAIN. I saw him twice with Dire Straits & once solo - back in 2005. That is too long ago.

Again, then. For sure. 8)

Delilah
10-06-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm a fan of Travis Tritt--it sounds like he put on a great show.

Travis announced on his facebook page maybe an hour later after the show that his show was the biggest draw ever for the opening of the fair. That's fantastic. Maybe they will invite him back next year. Boyz II Men has been coming back for years and they are back this year. I'm seeing them on Tuesday. There's one thing about us Mississippians. We know how to rock and show up for concerts.

Well, considering Mississippi is the birthplace of rock and roll, that isn't surprising! :rockon:

WS82Classics
10-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I have neither the expenses nor the mental strength to pursue such a trip, but I'm curious: Who all is going to the Indio, CA, 'Desert Trip' concert series?

Some of the top-billed acts include the Who, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, and Roger Waters.

Jonny Come Lately
10-30-2016, 03:49 AM
The Australian Pink Floyd Show last night was absolutely amazing! :grin: I thought it would be a very good show but it surpassed my expectations - the performance and show was hugely impressive and there were some quite unexpected song choices. There were times when you could close your eyes and think that it was actually Pink Floyd. It was very different to either Don or Neil Young as neither of their shows had anything much in the way of special effects or pyrotechnics. I deliberately avoided reading anything about the show or setlist beforehand so everything was a surprise to me on the night. I'll post a review later, although for the sake of everyone's sanity I think I'll put it in the Pink Floyd thread rather than here!

Annoying Twit
11-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Last night we went to see Glenn Tilbrook, from Squeeze. An enjoyable concert. Support was Steve Smith of the House/Dance band Dirty Vegas, showing that he can do the singer/songewriter thing with an acoustic guitar and a microphone too. Not quite as 'interactive' as the 90s concerts of his that I attended, such as the one where he took his audience out of the 12 Bar Club in London, and had us following him and his guitar around the streets of Soho and then we invaded a nightclub.

As I plan to see Glenn Hughes (from Deep Purple and Black Sabbath) in November, that's a number of Glenns in one month, but sadly not the main Glenn :(

EDIT: A selection of musical Glenns.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Glenn%2BTilbrook%2BPRS%2BMusic%2B100%2BYears%2BMus ic%2BVIP%2Baw_ghObdgbfl.jpg

http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imce-images/_PRL4674.jpg

And of course:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/dbc375b44ab1e0231035b2eb2a409a2d5f0da19f/c=167-0-3359-2400&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/2016/01/18/USATODAY/USATODAY/635887447644481100-XXX-GLENNFREY-GLADER-HP2A5017-V01-78965680.JPG

Freypower
11-06-2016, 04:57 PM
AT, first I apologise for the dispute we had before I took a break which I needed to clear my head. You had your reasons for expressing those views & you were entitled to do so.

Now, about Glenn Hughes. My husband worships him but didn't see him until 2010 at the Sage in Gateshead. He got him to sign a CD & talked to him about football (Mr Hughes is a Wolves fanatic). So I hope you have a good time.

Glennsallnighter
11-06-2016, 05:35 PM
And of course dont forget Glenn Miller, Glen Campbell, Glen Hansard, Glenn Madieros.... If you want yor son to be a musician, name him Glenn!!

WalshFan88
11-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Just saw Keith Urban last night. This makes my second time seeing him.

I LOVED the show. It's a very modern young high energy crowd but there were several older people in the standing only pit in front of the floor seats. I had front row seats, but they were behind the up close standing only pit. I had to stand more to see him. I just cannot stand for an entire show, my breathing and joint pain used to be the problem and now they are fixed it's my being out of shape and I get sweaty and shaky very easy, something to work on soon.

I highly recommend his show to anyone who likes his music, likes modern country and slightly older country from his early days, and just someone who likes a high energy modern flashy stage show. It's a really great concert and Keith is a fabulous guitarist (one of the reasons I go along with his songs).

Here is a pic from last night:

http://i.imgur.com/3dfAnzA.jpg

buffyfan145
11-13-2016, 05:23 PM
That's awesome WF88!!! :D I loved seeing Keith this past summer. I wrote my review up in the "Upcoming Concerts" thread. I don't think I'm going to any more concerts this year so for 2016 I saw Don, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Kacey Musgraves, Brett Eldredge, Maren Morris, Old Dominion, and a few other country artists that opened for Keith & Brad. I'm hoping to get some more rock concerts in next year as the past few years have been mostly country and I've seen majority of the popular country artists now.

LuvTim
11-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Keith Urban is so wonderful! I'm glad you got to see him, WF88. :-) It sounds like it was a great concert!

Glennsallnighter
11-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Great picture Austin

Brooke
11-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Yes, love the pic!

Is his concerts still as wild and crazy as the one I went to a few years ago? Women got up on stage with him a few times and he actually took a selfie with them! He also ran in to the crowd and gave away a guitar!

WalshFan88
11-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Yes, love the pic!

Is his concerts still as wild and crazy as the one I went to a few years ago? Women got up on stage with him a few times and he actually took a selfie with them! He also ran in to the crowd and gave away a guitar!

Yep! LOL. The crowd is probably 75/25 percent women to men... I was outnumbered but I didn't mind. ;)

He usually brings one person up a night to sign their sign (lol) and do a selfie. He also gives away a guitar, usually to a young kid.

He did both at my concert and the concert before that.

In fact, I probably shouldn't share this but there was one guy by himself offering everyone ecstasy (the drug) in our row. I politely but firmly declined. 99 percent of us did. Another guy did it and boy did he get wild at the end of the night.

Brooke
11-28-2016, 12:47 PM
OMG, glad to hear you declined, Austin! Wow, some people have nerve!

NightMistBlue
12-22-2016, 12:12 PM
I just scored a 6th row ticket to see Justin Hayward in February! Happy gal here.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I thought there was a thread called something like "Next non-Eagles show you're going to see" but i can't find it.

sodascouts
12-22-2016, 12:15 PM
The thread you're looking for is pinned at the top.

NightMistBlue
12-22-2016, 12:27 PM
D'oh! Thank you, Nancy.

Freypower
02-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Bruce Springsteen, Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, 7/2/17

New York City Serenade (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=New+York+City+Serenade)
American Land (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=American+Land)
The Ties That Bind (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=The+Ties+That+Bind)
No Surrender (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=No+Surrender)
Out in the Street (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Out+in+the+Street)
My Love Will Not Let You Down (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=My+Love+Will+Not+Let+You+Down)
(Sign Request)
Hungry Heart (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Hungry+Heart)
(Sign Request)
Long Tall Sally (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/little-richard-4bd6af2e.html?song=Long+Tall+Sally)
(Little Richard (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/little-richard-4bd6af2e.html) cover) (Sign Request, Tour Premiere)
Wrecking Ball (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Wrecking+Ball)
Darkness on the Edge of Town (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Darkness+on+the+Edge+of+Town)
American Skin (41 Shots) (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=American+Skin+%2841+Shots%29)
Youngstown (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Youngstown)
The Promised Land (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=The+Promised+Land)
Mary's Place (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Mary%27s+Place)
Candy's Room (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Candy%27s+Room)
She's the One (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=She%27s+the+One)
Downbound Train (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Downbound+Train)
I'm on Fire (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=I%27m+on+Fire)
Because the Night (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/patti-smith-group-53d657bd.html?song=Because+the+Night)
(Patti Smith Group (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/patti-smith-group-53d657bd.html) cover)
The Rising (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=The+Rising)
Badlands (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Badlands)
Thunder Road (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Thunder+Road)
Jungleland (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Jungleland)
Born to Run (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Born+to+Run)
Dancing in the Dark (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Dancing+in+the+Dark)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Tenth+Avenue+Freeze-Out)
Shout (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/the-isley-brothers-3d6b943.html?song=Shout)
(The Isley Brothers (http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-isley-brothers-3d6b943.html) cover)
Bobby Jean (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?song=Bobby+Jean)

Wow! What a night! I wasn't sure if I was really a Springsteen concert person because while I consider myself a fan I don't have that many of his albums. Most of the first few songs weren't familiar to me, but I especially liked American Land with its Celtic rhythms, a paean to the immigrants who contributed so much to the USA. (I am not making any political points. I just enjoyed the song, and I will say the same about American Skin (41 Shots) and Youngstown.

Bruce was in superb voice throughout. He is a much more powerful & emotive singer than he was in his young, scruffy days. He put so much emotion into songs like I'm On Fire & Downbound Train, while making the crowd just enjoy themselves in No Surrender. How he did Hungry Heart, where the audience sang the first verse & then he crowd surfed while still singing, I don't know. He did a few songs without a guitar and I have to say that as a guitarist he is more the Guitar George from Sultans Of Swing type, meaning strictly rhythm for the most part. The famous Telecaster was swung around to great effect.

So I finally got to see Roy Bittan who added so much to the Making Movies album by Dire Straits, and the other legendary members Steven Van Zandt (I don't feel enough of an insider to call him 'Little Stevie' though he is certainly short), Max Weinberg, Nils Lofgren & Mrs Springsteen, Patti Scialfa. Then of course we had Clarence Clemons' nephew Jake on sax. He was excellent.

I was surprised by the cover versions. I loved Long Tall Sally because Little Richard or not, it's a Beatles song to me. I was less convinced by (Meet Me At) Mary's Place by Sam Cooke. Shout was a bit predictable. I was getting tired by then. You will note that Because The Night is listed as a Patti Smith cover! Bruce wrote it! It was a highlight!

Of the really famous songs I am not sure why he closed with Bobby Jean, a song which I regard as ordinary, but I could hardly complain after the stirring versions of No Surrender, Downbound Train & I'm On Fire. Downbound Train, a song I have always loved, was a personal highlight. Badlands was awesome. Of the Born To Run songs, Candy's Room was a surprise. I have always struggled with Jungleland but it worked pretty well. Thunder Road featured a superb performance by the audience on the first verse, whjich Bruce said was 'very good' .Born To Run itself was just a mesmeric, joyous trip.

sodascouts
02-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a great concert. I hope one day I get to see him, too. He puts on quite a show, obviously!

Roey
02-10-2017, 11:23 PM
I share your enthusiasm. As I get older I prefer smaller venues and I almost did not go to Bruce's concert at Giants stadium (aka Met Life sStadium). It was fantastic and over 4 hours long. When he sang Wrecking Ball "Mosquitos grow as big as airplanes... And Giants play their games" the crown went wild as we were on the site the song is about. His energy and enthusiasm were unbelievable. He can be soulful and intense on some songs and has fun with others. He includes the audience in the songs. It was a hometown crowd who got all the references to Jersey sites and experiences, especially when he sang " down the shore everything is alright" from Tom Waite's jersey girl. The combo of his music, lyrics and personality is magical.

Brooke
02-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Fp, thanks for your review! Sounds like a great show!

My brother is a huge fan of his and has been to more of his shows than I can count and just thinks he's fantastic. I like some of his songs, but I'm not that big of a fan.

buffyfan145
08-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Had a great time seeing Lindsay Ell again!!! :D I posted in the Upcoming Concerts thread that it was a bit spur of the moment but our local country radio station here in Columbus teamed up with her as she's doing these pop up shows to celebrate her debut album "The Project" coming out in between her tour dates with Brad Paisley. It was great and she sounded amazing performing acoustically. Such a great guitar player. We also got her new album there as they were selling them for only $5 and she autographed them all for us during the meet & greet. I posted my pic with her on my Twitter (same username as here if anyone wants to see). Also told her how my brother and I last saw her in Nashville during CMA 2 years ago and she loved hearing that. :D This was actually my 3rd time seeing her and her new album is fantastic. She also revealed there too that she also recorded an entire cover album of John Mayer's "Continuum", which her record producer Kristian Bush from the band Sugarland had her record as an experiment before recording her debut album, and it'll be out later this year.

Dawn
08-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a great concert. I hope one day I get to see him, too. He puts on quite a show, obviously!

Just an FYI regarding Bruce Springsteen ... he's coming to Broadway in October at the Walter Kerr theater just 960 seats. More info below at link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/arts/music/bruce-springsteen-broadway-concerts.html

Freypower
02-21-2018, 10:18 PM
I saw Queen & Adam Lambert last night. As I have no wish to derail any more Eagles topics, I will make a few comments here.

When I booked for it last June, I had only been out of hospital for a few months. My reasoning was that I should go & see as many shows as I could, in case something else happened to me. I was very dubious about seeing this, and worried that I may be considered a hypocrite.

Well, I have to say that I wondered about the point of it all. I wonder why Brian May & Roger Taylor still cling to this. They are talented men; surely they could still be creative in other ways. May has his astronomy career & dedication to preservation of wildlife, apart from anything else. They are not keeping the memory of Freddie Mercury alive just by having Adam Lambert sing his songs.

Let me make it clear; Lambert is flamboyant, camp, a show pony - everything Freddie was, but he doesn't really have the vocal chops or versatility. I found his voice too light for the hard rock songs & not really suitable for the (few) ballads. He was best on songs like Get Down Make Love & I Want It All. He was wrong for Bohemian Rhapsody. At least they used the iconic middle section of the video so they would not have to pretend to sing it. To be fair, he doesn't pretend to be Freddie, but he just doesn't measure up.

It's a fact that my own highlight was the wonderful I'm In Love With My Car, sung by Taylor. At least it was HIS SONG. He also tried to sing Bowie's Under Pressure part, and A Kind Of Magic - and both fell flat. But at least he had played on the records. Similarly, May's attempt at Love Of My Life failed, because the audience DIDN'T KNOW IT. Well, I knew it, but I bought A Night At The Opera when it was released.

So I'm afraid that replacements are not my thing. It was not enough for me to watch May & Taylor & try & pretend that was Queen. I enjoyed it, because I love those songs. But that's all.

It is somewhat ironic that I am about to see two sons of deceased legends pay tribute to their dads; Dweezil Zappa tomorrow night (for the third time) and Jason Bonham in May. In my view, this is what Deacon Frey perhaps should have attempted to do. But I don't wish to elaborate on this any further.

NightMistBlue
02-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Thank you, FP. I read about their Australian tour kicking off.

I'd still be tempted to go because I love Brian May. But I saw them on tv once and was not impressed with Adam Lambert. He sang like he didn't understand what the song was about and didn't care either.

IMO, a good (effective) singer is committed emotionally to the song. Otherwise, why bother.

Does Brian May sing lead at all anymore? I like his voice, it was so boyish and English.

Freypower
02-22-2018, 06:20 PM
Thank you, FP. I read about their Australian tour kicking off.

I'd still be tempted to go because I love Brian May. But I saw them on tv once and was not impressed with Adam Lambert. He sang like he didn't understand what the song was about and didn't care either.

IMO, a good (effective) singer is committed emotionally to the song. Otherwise, why bother.

Does Brian May sing lead at all anymore? I like his voice, it was so boyish and English.

Only on Love Of My Life, which of course he didn't sing originally. I had hoped he'd do one of my favourites, '39, but he didn't.

You make a good point about emotional commitment. Adam spent a lot of time on costume changes. He tried - he tried hard. But I would agree that some of the more challenging lyrics, like Hammer To Fall, weren't really what he's about.

groupie2686
02-26-2018, 02:50 PM
I saw Queen & Adam Lambert last night. As I have no wish to derail any more Eagles topics, I will make a few comments here.

When I booked for it last June, I had only been out of hospital for a few months. My reasoning was that I should go & see as many shows as I could, in case something else happened to me. I was very dubious about seeing this, and worried that I may be considered a hypocrite.

Well, I have to say that I wondered about the point of it all. I wonder why Brian May & Roger Taylor still cling to this. They are talented men; surely they could still be creative in other ways. May has his astronomy career & dedication to preservation of wildlife, apart from anything else. They are not keeping the memory of Freddie Mercury alive just by having Adam Lambert sing his songs.

Let me make it clear; Lambert is flamboyant, camp, a show pony - everything Freddie was, but he doesn't really have the vocal chops or versatility. I found his voice too light for the hard rock songs & not really suitable for the (few) ballads. He was best on songs like Get Down Make Love & I Want It All. He was wrong for Bohemian Rhapsody. At least they used the iconic middle section of the video so they would not have to pretend to sing it. To be fair, he doesn't pretend to be Freddie, but he just doesn't measure up.

It's a fact that my own highlight was the wonderful I'm In Love With My Car, sung by Taylor. At least it was HIS SONG. He also tried to sing Bowie's Under Pressure part, and A Kind Of Magic - and both fell flat. But at least he had played on the records. Similarly, May's attempt at Love Of My Life failed, because the audience DIDN'T KNOW IT. Well, I knew it, but I bought A Night At The Opera when it was released.

So I'm afraid that replacements are not my thing. It was not enough for me to watch May & Taylor & try & pretend that was Queen. I enjoyed it, because I love those songs. But that's all.

This was interesting to read...I've been a fan of Queen since I was 5 years old (my favorite back then was Radio Ga Ga). Freddie was so larger than life, and had such a great stage persona, not to mention an amazing voice, that to me, no one else could ever measure up. Replacements are not my thing either - Queen without Freddie isn't right to me. I feel the same about the Eagles without Glenn (but that's all I'll say on that, I try to steer clear of those threads on here). I was 5 years old when Freddie died, so that means I'll never see them, and I'm fine with that. Since most of the bands I like have a member who passed away and/or no longer perform, I have an extensive collection of concert DVDs. :)

FP, I love '39 too, I'd love to see Brian May sing it.

Freypower
02-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Two nights after Queen/AL we went to see Dweezil Zappa for the third time. We were in the second row, right in front of him. He's grown up a bit since we last saw him ten years ago!

I've found the setlist, but won't post it, because a lot of it was (in my view) quite obscure early Mothers stuff. And he had female singers, so even on the songs I knew, I found it hard to understand the lyrics. Of the songs I knew I will mention Zomby Woof, Keep It Greasy, I'm So Cute, Trouble Every Day & I was proud of myself during the encore when I finally recognised Florentine Pogen. It was a set for my husband, a real aficionado. not a casual fan like me.

Dweezil is a fantastic guitarist although it surprised me that he only played a Gibson SG. He doesn't really sing. There was only one song where he did harmonies.

Imagine if Deacon Frey formed a band & played his father's really obscure stuff (although Frank's catalogue was so large .... that's the difference).

Annoying Twit
02-26-2018, 09:07 PM
On Thursday night, I should be seeing Pio Squad & Cocotte Minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Y0TZRNLF0&t=100s

Brooke
02-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Two nights after Queen/AL we went to see Dweezil Zappa for the third time. We were in the second row, right in front of him. He's grown up a bit since we last saw him ten years ago!

I've found the setlist, but won't post it, because a lot of it was (in my view) quite obscure early Mothers stuff. And he had female singers, so even on the songs I knew, I found it hard to understand the lyrics. Of the songs I knew I will mention Zomby Woof, Keep It Greasy, I'm So Cute, Trouble Every Day & I was proud of myself during the encore when I finally recognised Florentine Pogen. It was a set for my husband, a real aficionado. not a casual fan like me.

Dweezil is a fantastic guitarist although it surprised me that he only played a Gibson SG. He doesn't really sing. There was only one song where he did harmonies.

Imagine if Deacon Frey formed a band & played his father's really obscure stuff (although Frank's catalogue was so large .... that's the difference).

Now that's an idea I would like, Fp!

WalshFan88
03-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Now that's an idea I would like, Fp!

Me too, Brooke.