PDA

View Full Version : Don Felder in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

UndertheWire
11-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Do you think the audience would have been satisfied if he played a few more of his solo songs? To me, it seems he's not playing to his strengths by playing songs like "Tequila Sunrise" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" rather than more guitar-driven "rock".

OutlawManNJ
11-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Do you think the audience would have been satisfied if he played a few more of his solo songs? To me, it seems he's not playing to his strengths by playing songs like "Tequila Sunrise" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" rather than more guitar-driven "rock".

I think the average fan wants to hear eagles stuff with a few solo songs, which is what he did.

I do think its kinda weird when he plays songs from the band thatnhe didnt record....though he did play them for many years. Tequila along with a few others he did a real nice job.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-10-2015, 01:34 AM

I agree with this statement UTW. As a matter of fact, I had very similar feelings about his album 'Road to Forever'. I expected a much more rockin' guitar sound from him as well.

Funk 50
11-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Well Sunday in NJ Felder played a solo show with no opening band, it was just his band. The very nice theatre in Morristown holds 1300 and it was pretty close to sold out. So he probably can tour around the country solo and easily fill up places for 500-1000 people. Of course most people go to hear eagles songs but i was also curious to see his guitar work especially.

I'm delighted to read that, thanks OutlawManNJ, although you can't know why most of the audience are there. Until he tries it, we don't know how many seats he'd sell if he stuck to playing Don Felder songs.

Great performers sell the song, in Felder's case, the songs are selling the performer. His Eagles show has a modest audience, he may be able to build a greater audience playing his own material, focussing on his guitar chops. I imagine Glenn and Don get bigger royalty checks from his set list than he does.

chaim
11-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Don should try Neil Young's "I'll play whatever I want" approach now and then. :hilarious: Neil did that even before he was a big star, so surely Don could afford to do that now once in a while. ;-)
Don could play the solo stuff only and promote his Eagles association with a short PowerPoint lecture about how he wrote Hotel California, and then play that one Eagles song.

UndertheWire
11-11-2015, 08:28 AM
He plays what he thinks the audience wants to hear and I'm sure the Eagles songs get a great response which reinforces that idea. I can see it's the safe option when he's the opening act as presumably the majority of the audience are there to see the headliners and won't know his solo work. However, when he's headlining, he can have a longer set and could include more of his solo work in addition to the Eagles songs. Which is what he seems to be doing.

Songwriter royalties for performance are funny. Although the venue has to pay the rights organisation, it gets put into a pool and is shared out according to a sampling method that looks at the top 200 tours (maybe with a few adjustments) and typically Felder's shows wouldn't make that list. When Felder opened for Styx/Foreigner that was probably the first time that Felder or Henley or Frey received a songwriter royalty from Felder's performance. And clearly, Henley and Frey would each have received more than Felder.

Topkat
11-12-2015, 12:04 AM
I was checking out the list of Timothy's song writing credits a week or so ago, at ascap.com and was stunned to see One Of These Nights Intro was credited to him.
The writers are listed as Felder/Frey/Henley/Schmit/Walsh. Schmit and Walsh weren't even in the band when that was recorded.

Song writing credits obviously aren't as black and white as they ought to be.

If Felder had a strong fan base, he wouldn't be performing 60 to 85% Eagles songs, during his concerts nor would he be, forever prattling on about Hotel California.

I'm glad you enjoyed Felder's show on Saturday night Topkat. I'm sure he put on a great show but his act obviously can't sell enough tickets to headline a solo tour. I wish he'd take a punt with a proper Felder show rather than just continually churning out his ex Eagle act. Surely he's rich enough to try it out.

I'm interested to see if Felder mentions the unfortunate incident at the recent Henley concert. Will he show Henley some support for ejecting a Felder fan who heckled Steuart Smith. Maybe even wishing Glenn a happy birthday and get well soon message, too while he's at it.
I'm drifting into the realms of fantasy aren't I :grin:

Why would Felder mention the incident at Henley's show? He probably doesn't even know about it. I didn't until I came on here. Why would he even say anything about it? He wasn't there & had nothing to do with it. Do you expect him to make a statement about it? He's touring himself, so I doubt he is following what is going on with Henley's shows.

SilverMoon
12-01-2015, 05:49 AM
Why did Glenn get a songwriting credit, then? He is basically calling Glenn a liar, but given some of the other stuff he says about Glenn I guess nobody should be surprised.

If Felder is so great & has such a strong fan base, then he shouldn't be a support act. Why is he never asked hard questions like if you are such a great musician why did you release one album before the Eagles reformed & one after you were fired? Why is he never asked if he possibly, just possibly, could accept some responsiblilty for what happened instead of blaming everyone else?

He may be obligated to answer questions. It seems to me that he screens them beforehand to ensure he's not asked anything challenging.

As for the setlist percentage that UTW provided; that speaks for itself. I wasn't far off with 80%.
It seems to me that Glenn is the one who screens questions beforehand. It’s hard to believe he never gets asked questions about Don Felder.

After the Eagles broke up, Don Felder made a solo album, worked as a studio musician, and contributed songs to movie soundtracks. He retired from the entertainment business in 1987 to spend more time with his children. He’s said so in interviews and in his book.

According to Glenn Frey online, Glenn opened 9 shows for Fleetwood Mac in 1982 and 30 shows for Tina Turner in 1985. I guess he wasn’t successful enough to headline an entire tour of his own.

Glenn is considered a great songwriter, yet he hasn’t released a solo album of original material since 1992.

Jack Tempchin, who wrote “Peaceful Easy Feeling” and co-wrote “Already Gone,” has praised Don Felder on Facebook for his versions of both songs. Don was the Eagles’ lead guitarist for years. I think people want to hear him play Eagles’ songs.

chaim
12-01-2015, 06:17 AM
I wasn't aware that Jack Tempchin's on Facebook. As far as I can remember he has written one and co-written two Eagles songs. IMO that's not enough to be on Facebook as "Eagles songwriter Jack Tempchin". He's such a famous and successful songwriter so why does he need that at this point in his career? But it must be ok by Glenn since they are pals. However, in the internet age when no one cares about facts that might give the wrong impression - that he wrote a lot of their hits.

It's funny how Glenn always downplays his contributions to the Eagles while there are people who seem to exaggerate theirs. And yet Glenn is the one people say is an egomaniac. :roll: Sorry to go a bit off-topic here, but I couldn't resist.

UndertheWire
12-01-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm going to respond to diverse posts, so I hope the quotes work.

I wasn't aware that Jack Tempchin's on Facebook. As far as I can remember he has written one and co-written one Eagles song. IMO that's not enough to be on Facebook as "Eagles songwriter Jack Tempchin". He's such a famous and successful songwriter so why does he need that? But I guess it'sit must be ok by Glenn since they are pals. However, in the internet age when no one cares about facts that might give the wrong impression - that he wrote a lot of their hits.
Jack Tempchin also co-wrote "The Girl from Yesterday", "Somebody" and "It's Your World Now". He's written lots of songs, but his most successful have been for the Eagles or with Glenn Frey.

It seems to me that Glenn is the one who screens questions beforehand. It’s hard to believe he never gets asked questions about Don Felder.
I'm sure interviewers are told in advance that he won't answer questions about Felder or the lawsuit.

After the Eagles broke up, Don Felder made a solo album, worked as a studio musician, and contributed songs to movie soundtracks. He retired from the entertainment business in 1987 to spend more time with his children. He’s said so in interviews and in his book.
The only part I'd question in that is the "1987" as his credits seem to stop in 1984/85.

According to Glenn Frey online, Glenn opened 9 shows for Fleetwood Mac in 1982 and 30 shows for Tina Turner in 1985. I guess he wasn’t successful enough to headline an entire tour of his own.
In interviews from that time, he talked about the problem of becoming a solo artist after years of being in a group where they kept a low-profile as individuals. Joe Walsh also toured as a supporting act in the early 90s. I see no shame in any of them being supporting, including Felder.

Glenn is considered a great songwriter, yet he hasn’t released a solo album of original material since 1992.
And his answer is always that the Eagles and his family have taken up his time. He did actually release 4 new songs in 1995. I wish he'd do more.

Jack Tempchin, who wrote “Peaceful Easy Feeling” and co-wrote “Already Gone,” has praised Don Felder on Facebook for his versions of both songs. Don was the Eagles’ lead guitarist for years. I think people want to hear him play Eagles’ songs.
Henley's recent tour only included one "Eagles" song, Glenn's most recent tour was about 30% Eagles and Timothy's 2012 tour was about 20% Eagles. So Felder playing 70-80% Eagles songs, played as close to the recordings as he and his band can manage, including many songs that were created long before he joined the band, shows a lack of adventure.

As a supporting act, or playing corporate shows, he may play it safe because most of the audience won't know his solo material but maybe he could headline a few shows in smaller venues aimed at his more hard-core fans and take a few chances.

chaim
12-01-2015, 08:25 AM
I stand corrected on the amount of Tempchin-cowrites, but I still don't understand the "Eagles songwriter" title before his name on Facebook. One of his Eagles songs is a classic. One that he co-wrote (Already Gone) is probably a sort of classic too. But the rest are...not exactly classics, good as some of them are.

However, I won't go further on this as I've already taken this too far from the actual topic.

SilverMoon
12-01-2015, 04:29 PM
The only part I'd question in that is the "1987" as his credits seem to stop in 1984/85.
In 1985-1986 Don hosted the musical comedy show “FTV.”

In 1986 he wrote and performed the music for the CBS animated series “Galaxy High” and for the TV movie “Blue de Ville.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_High

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090757/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Freypower
12-01-2015, 04:42 PM

He did headline tours of his own for No Fun Aloud, The Allnighter & Strange Weather, although the legs for the first two weren't very long. Interesting that you chose not to mention those & just mentioned the supporting dates. He also did the LRB tour when I saw him (yes, he was a guest), and the Party Of Two tour, as well as the more recent tours.

Also it hardly needs saying that Glenn did support shows back in the early 80s. Felder is a support act NOW, quite frequently.

I could just as well say once again that in the nearly 15 years since Don Felder was fired from the Eagles he has only released one album of original material - and two in total. That is not a lot.

I'm sorry.... I understand Felder fans wish to defend him, but being selective about facts is not in my view the best way to do it.

UndertheWire
12-02-2015, 04:51 AM
I've been thinking about this and at this point I'm more interested in what Don Felder will do in the future. He appears to be still fit and healthy and has a desire to record new music. I find it disappointing that he doesn't carry that forward to his live shows but what do I know about the economics of touring?

I don't think Don can be successfully defended by looking back at his solo efforts as he did so much less musically than each of the current eagles, whether as a session musican, recording solo or touring. However, he has the chance to make up for it now.

SilverMoon
12-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Also it hardly needs saying that Glenn did support shows back in the early 80s. Felder is a support act NOW, quite frequently.
It’s not true that Don Felder is frequently a support act. He only occasionally opens up for others acts. Anyway, Glenn played shows as an opener in the ’80s, when he was at the height of his solo career.

Freypower
12-12-2015, 05:22 PM
It’s not true that Don Felder is frequently a support act. He only occasionally opens up for others acts. Anyway, Glenn played shows as an opener in the ’80s, when he was at the height of his solo career.

As I already stated, Glenn does not open shows now.

I looked back at the Felder concert review thread & since it began, he did an entire tour supporting Styx & Foreigner & he has also supported Peter Frampton, the Doobie Brothers & Steve Miller all in the last couple of years. So to me that is more than 'only occasionally'.

12-14-2015, 01:01 PM
I've been thinking about this and at this point I'm more interested in what Don Felder will do in the future. He appears to be still fit and healthy and has a desire to record new music. I find it disappointing that he doesn't carry that forward to his live shows but what do I know about the economics of touring?

I don't think Don can be successfully defended by looking back at his solo efforts as he did so much less musically than each of the current eagles, whether as a session musican, recording solo or touring. However, he has the chance to make up for it now.

I totally agree with you again, UTW. AFAIC, any effort to compare Felder's solo career with Glenn's is rather pointless and unfair. As a solo artist, Glenn had 12 songs chart in the Billboard Top 100, 8 of which made the Top 40 - 'nough said.

Topkat
12-21-2015, 12:16 PM
What does it really matter anyway?? They are all about 67 years old. Felder has a young child & likes to play golf. I think they should enjoy some well deserved time off. I do not intend to be working at 67 or even 65. The 80's are long gone, & they all have plenty of money so they can do whatever they want at this stage of the game. Glenn needs to rest & recover from his surgery. Felder is doing what he wants to do. He obviously doesn't need to play a huge audience. Actually a smaller place is much better to see anyone. Loved seeing him at the Beacon & Jones Beach.

UndertheWire
12-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Here's an interview from June (2015). He talks a bit about watching films as well as the usual stuff.
http://crypticrock.com/interview-don-felder/

chaim
12-23-2015, 05:46 AM
I think it's time for some Glenn & guitar rant again. :hilarious: The writer praises Don's guitar tone on the song "One of these nights". Whenever people say that, I wonder if they're just talking about the guitar solo or the harmonized guitar parts as well. Any idea? I wish that some day it will be confirmed who plays those harmonies. I still think that most - if not all - of it is Glenn.

UndertheWire
12-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I find it interesting that even Don Felder is using the football analogies. I've seen Don Henley using them, too so Glenn has them well-trained. However, Felder does speak as if he was the one pushing it all along.

chaim
12-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I find it interesting that even Don Felder is using the football analogies. I've seen Don Henley using them, too so Glenn has them well-trained. However, Felder does speak as if he was the one pushing it all along.

Yes, I can see how it can be taken like that. But I read it like Don was talking only about doing his part. Like he was able to do his share there.

Having said that, it doesn't always sound like he was pushing the band to go in a certain direction. Often he says that he just recorded demos and then Glenn and Don H decided what to use. Like he wasn't pushing for any particular songs. However, in this interview it sounds a bit like he knew exactly what the band should do.

UndertheWire
12-23-2015, 01:56 PM
I suspect they all "knew" exactly what they should do and that caused a lot of the arguments! Anyway, it's could to read that they were all team players. That has to be true to some extent otherwise they wouldn't have lasted so long at a time when bands tended to break up after a year or two.

WalshFan88
12-24-2015, 02:40 PM
I think it's time for some Glenn & guitar rant again. :hilarious: The writer praises Don's guitar tone on the song "One of these nights". Whenever people say that, I wonder if they're just talking about the guitar solo or the harmonized guitar parts as well. Any idea? I wish that some day it will be confirmed who plays those harmonies. I still think that most - if not all - of it is Glenn.

I think they'd have to be referring to the solos, they mentioned HC. His solo on OOTN really brought a lot of lyrical guitar playing to the forefront of the Eagles, only to be topped by HC.

It's also funny that he used the exact same rig for both OOTN and HC and got two different sounds equally great. OOTN has the Tweed amp cranked into fuzz sound, HC has a brighter more strident tone and is the same amp, just not cranked as high into that fuzz territory.

I have an old 50s 5E3 Fender Narrow Panel Tweed Deluxe like Felder's and it has that sound in spades with a Les Paul.

SilverMoon
12-24-2015, 03:39 PM
As I already stated, Glenn does not open shows now.

I looked back at the Felder concert review thread & since it began, he did an entire tour supporting Styx & Foreigner & he has also supported Peter Frampton, the Doobie Brothers & Steve Miller all in the last couple of years. So to me that is more than 'only occasionally'.
Don has played with Peter Frampton, The Doobie Brothers, and Steve Miller as a special guest, not as a support act. The tour he did with Styx and Foreigner was a joint tour. Don was a co-headliner, not a support act, on that tour. All three acts were headliners. The support acts on the tour were local artists.

When Glenn does solo shows in North America, he doesn’t play big arenas, he generally plays the same-sized venues as Don Felder.

Freypower
12-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Don has played with Peter Frampton, The Doobie Brothers, and Steve Miller as a special guest, not as a support act. The tour he did with Styx and Foreigner was a joint tour. Don was a co-headliner, not a support act, on that tour. All three acts were headliners. The support acts on the tour were local artists.

When Glenn does solo shows in North America, he doesn’t play big arenas, he generally plays the same-sized venues as Don Felder.

I think we are now going round in circles for no good reason. For a start, I said nothing about the type of venues Glenn plays. Second, like it or not, Felder was the opening act forthe Doobies, Miller & Frampton. The term 'special guest' is a euphemism for 'support act'. And of the bands he 'co-headlined' with, he played first.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to keep going back & forth on a subject on which we are fundamentally at odds.

MaryCalifornia
12-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Just wanted to throw in my two cents because I haven't seen it mentioned in recent comments and the venue is in my small town - for the past two years Don Felder headlined at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. He was billed as the headliner of 20 bands that played during a 10-mile race. http://www.delmarfairgrounds.com/index.php?fuseaction=calendar.home&op=detail&pkid=2159&month=2&year=2015&calCatID=6

I'm surprised there is confusion regarding what is an "opening act" vs. a "supporting act" vs. co-touring band vs. special guest. In my mind, J.D. and the Straight Shot is an opening act. Local bands are opening acts. On the tour with Styx and Foreigner, Felder was clearly on the main bill. Someone has to play first, and he came back later in the show. A special guest is someone who comes out during the show and plays with band, right? Or do special guests open for a band?

Regardless, I think we all have a sense of all of the guys' current stature as solo acts. Clearly Henley is in a class by himself. The others just do their thing and their adoring fans get to see them in small venues!!!

chaim
12-25-2015, 05:18 AM
I think they'd have to be referring to the solos, they mentioned HC. His solo on OOTN really brought a lot of lyrical guitar playing to the forefront of the Eagles, only to be topped by HC.

It's also funny that he used the exact same rig for both OOTN and HC and got two different sounds equally great. OOTN has the Tweed amp cranked into fuzz sound, HC has a brighter more strident tone and is the same amp, just not cranked as high into that fuzz territory.

I have an old 50s 5E3 Fender Narrow Panel Tweed Deluxe like Felder's and it has that sound in spades with a Les Paul.

Yes, Don F certainly got a lot of stuff out of his gear!

NightMistBlue
01-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Mr. Felder is interviewed in this brief-ish but poignant article in a Roanoke, VA newspaper: http://www.roanoke.com/news/wire_headlines/former-eagle-don-felder-mourns-death-of-glenn-frey/article_74bf8f70-c654-52a3-b9a4-af8cc0bba1bb.html

Freypower
01-23-2016, 05:55 PM
He still had to get in the bit about how they hadn't contacted him for years.

He needs to be very careful about what he says.

sad-cafe
01-23-2016, 09:35 PM
he is still bitter and stuck on himself and in the past.

It is ridiculous that in this time he is still crying poor pitiful me

Funk 50
01-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Wonderful words from Felder. It's a tragedy that he waited until after Glenn's death to share them...

Glenn’s passing was so unexpected and has left me with a very heavy heart filled with sorrow. He was so young and still full of amazing genius. He was an extremely talented songwriter, arranger, leader, singer, guitarist – you name it – and Glenn could do it and create “MAGIC” on the spot. His visions and insights into songs and lyrics have become legendary and will echo throughout time on this earth for decades to come.
Glenn was the one who invited me to join the Eagles in 1974, and it turned out to be a gift of a lifetime to have spent so many years working side by side with him. He was funny, strong and generous. At times, it felt like we were brothers and at other times, like brothers, we disagreed. Despite our struggles and difficult moments together, we managed to create some magical songs, recordings and live shows. His charisma on stage was felt and loved by millions of people all over the world. I have many wonderful memories of those years and the many miles I traveled with Glenn, filled with laughter, song, parties, hugs and brotherly bonds.
Glenn was the James Dean of the band. He was the leader that we all looked to for direction and by far the coolest guy in the band. It saddens me a great deal that we were never able to address the issues that came between us and talk them through. Sadly, now we will never get the chance. The planet has lost a great man and a wonderful musician today. None will ever be able to take his place. May you rest in peace Glenn Frey, and may God bless you and your lovely family.

Read More: Don Felder Pays Tribute to Glenn Frey's 'Amazing Genius' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-glenn-frey-tribute/?trackback=tsmclip

sad-cafe
01-24-2016, 05:44 PM
no

I think felder is an opportunist that is buried in the past and will always play the "victim" and never ever take responsibility for his part

Freypower
01-24-2016, 05:48 PM
I have to say I find the phrase 'class act' is being overused.

chaim
01-24-2016, 06:04 PM
While Don did mention the "case of the estranged ex-member" in the interview it seems to me that the writer also chose to emphasize it in his story. Well, I don't know all the things Don said that weren't included in the text. Maybe he did cry about it. I'm just saying that it's possible that Don didn't talk about it as much as it looks.

sad-cafe
01-24-2016, 06:11 PM
I have to say I find the phrase 'class act' is being overused.

agreed

EagleLady
01-24-2016, 06:11 PM
I thought Felder's statement on Glenn's passing was very sweet :shrug:

01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
I think that the statements Felder has made about Frey have been appropriate and not at all disrespectful. I also think that for people to continue with all this Frey vs. Felder business is wildly inappropriate, in light of the fact that one of them is dead. Can both sides call a truce, at least until after the funeral is over? Let our remembrances of Frey unite everyone, if only for a moment.

I couldn't agree with you more on this part I bolded. I truly don’t mean to offend anyone, but, any discussion at this time about this feels very ‘icky’ and intrusive to me and I know I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s just not the right time for this discussion. It’s very unsettling to me every time I see a new post in this thread – I don’t even have to read it, so it’s irrelevant whether it’s positive or negative. To me, when discussing public figures on the internet, it does not mean it is okay to cross the lines of proper etiquette. Would you think it's appropriate to rehash a past feud during a friend or family members mourning period? I would certainly hope not - it would be highly inappropriate and, to my way of thinking, this is no different. I realize not everyone feels the same way, but I bring this up just to make folks sensitive to the fact that some do.

watchtower
01-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Don's comment on not being in touch for years felt to me that he was needing to point out the fact that he truly isn't that close to the band anymore. For those not familiar with the band's issues they may feel he is part of the inner circle. I think his statement was to clarify things so it doesn't seem like he was acting as part of the inner circle.

I think red storm and I've always been a dreamer summed things up perfectly.

sad-cafe
01-24-2016, 11:03 PM
I think it will always be this way.

Some will see one side and some of us will see the other side.

Freypower
01-24-2016, 11:35 PM
I couldn't agree with you more on this part I bolded. I truly don’t mean to offend anyone, but, any discussion at this time about this feels very ‘icky’ and intrusive to me and I know I’m not the only one that feels this way. It’s just not the right time for this discussion. It’s very unsettling to me every time I see a new post in this thread – I don’t even have to read it, so it’s irrelevant whether it’s positive or negative. To me, when discussing public figures on the internet, it does not mean it is okay to cross the lines of proper etiquette. Would you think it's appropriate to rehash a past feud during a friend or family members mourning period? I would certainly hope not - it would be highly inappropriate and, to my way of thinking, this is no different. I realize not everyone feels the same way, but I bring this up just to make folks sensitive to the fact that some do.

Thank you Dreamer & I apologise for a couple of comments I made; I should have left it alone.

MaryCalifornia
02-16-2016, 05:10 PM
I didn't want to dirty up the Grammy tribute to Glenn's thread with this - Felder's tweets/FB comments have now been picked up -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-felder-glenn-frey-grammys-tribute_us_56c34589e4b0b40245c7e75f

Complete with Jennifer Meisner in the comments

Freypower
02-16-2016, 05:34 PM
And what exactly is HuffPost going to do?

I didn't see any comments by Jennifer Meisner.

I am sick about this, absolutely heartsick, except as I said elsewhere it confirms what I thought, that all the nice words after Glenn's death were not sincere but a ploy to ingratiate himself with the remaining Eagles. It didn't work & now the pretence has been dropped.

I am well aware this is a harsh thing to say.

Brooke
02-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Felder has lost all credibility with me. How ridiculous for him to think he should have been included. He sued Glenn and Don! Is anyone here still friends with people that sued you? I think not! :brickwall:

I won't say what else I'm thinking of him.....

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Wow.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm so mixed on this... what I really need to say I won't. On Facebook maybe. But not here lol

L101
02-16-2016, 05:53 PM
And what exactly is HuffPost going to do?

I didn't see any comments by Jennifer Meisner.

I am sick about this, absolutely heartsick, except as I said elsewhere it confirms what I thought, that all the nice words after Glenn's death were not sincere but a ploy to ingratiate himself with the remaining Eagles. It didn't work & now the pretence has been dropped.

I am well aware this is a harsh thing to say.

For once FP, I agree with you.
Thankfully, never had any regard for Felder, and can't post what I really think of him but right now, he can Póg Mo Thóin !! (GA and DD will know what I mean :smile:)

Freypower
02-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Thankfully, never had any regard for Felder, and can't post what I really think of him but right now, he can Póg Mo Thóin !! (GA and DD will know what I mean :smile:)

I know what you mean too. :twisted:

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Thanks to good ol' Google, I do, too. And I agree!

The respect I had for Felder after his seemingly sincere post about Glenn's passing, has gone out the window. Both he and RS can go blow it!

WalshFan88
02-16-2016, 06:59 PM
You know the last thing I want to seem is hypocritical, as I've defended DF a lot over the years but I'm starting to see a side of him I do not like...and I will leave it at that.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 07:12 PM
You know the last thing I want to seem is hypocritical, as I've defended DF a lot over the years but I'm starting to see a side of him I do not like...and I will leave it at that.

YES. that right there. I think it's just plain effin childish of him. I mean I understand he was there from the beginning. but I really feel he is creating a media circus around this unfortunate event. he was not invited. we are sorry. but he shouldn't make it about him. those men are suffering as it is he shouldn't make it even worse. if that makes any sense.

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 07:14 PM
I would almost say that Don Felder is narcissistic.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 07:18 PM
that too... he may be hurting too but I think that isn't the way to handle it.

WalshFan88
02-16-2016, 07:27 PM
I would almost say that Don Felder is narcissistic.

I think he really shows that side of himself that got him fired, more and more all the time... I really don't want to believe it because frankly I admire the guy as a musician and as a hero to me. But he isn't doing himself any favors with the stuff he posts. But I don't think he cares, sadly. If anything, he's proving Glenn's point about him in the doc. And it really pains me to see that because I don't want to believe it. Still don't.

Look, I think he's a fantastic guitar player and probably very nice and genuine to his fans. But I'm beginning to see how petty he can be over this stuff if not down right egocentric. And I certainly can see where you are coming from. He does seem to be narcissistic, especially with some of his posts as of late and even just looking back in the past. Maybe there's more to the story than we knew or still know as to why he was fired and maybe he wasn't so innocent as I would have hoped he was.

Some may call Joe Walsh a pushover when it comes to wanting to stay in the band and not speak up and didn't defend DF, but I'd rather he be that than what Felder is doing. And coming from me, that's a serious statement.

JennyCH
02-16-2016, 07:28 PM
To me, he's at the KanyeWest level of meltdown at this point. He sued these people then wrote a supposedly a tell-all "expose", thinking he was going to impact their popularity with "unflattering" tales. Epic fail because the Eagles continued to sell out and frankly I think grow in popularity after his book and the documentary. :headbang: I don't know where his mind is. He's hounding these people to make up with him after he sued them and tried to f:shock:k them up?

ETA: WalshFan you said that so well.

armus2112
02-16-2016, 07:35 PM
How ridiculous for him to think he should have been included.

agree.

I love his guitar work!! But I don't think he was realistically going to get an invite.

sodascouts
02-16-2016, 07:56 PM
As others have said, this wasn't an Eagles reunion or a ceremony honoring the band, where one might argue he should be there. It was a tribute to Glenn Frey.

Felder knows very well Glenn wouldn't have wanted him there. The fact that he still feels he should have been invited - even though it would have been against Glenn's wishes - shows he is completely missing the point of a tribute: it was about GLENN.

Frankly, I'm astonished that he apparently can't comprehend why it would have been completely inappropriate for him to be invited. It would be like your family inviting someone you couldn't stand to deliver a eulogy at your funeral. Felder may have wanted to make up with Glenn, but it didn't happen, and Glenn no longer considered him a friend. Therefore, he has no place at the tribute for Glenn. It's as simple as that.

If Felder felt he had to comment to assuage the dimwits who don't understand why he wasn't there, I wish it could have been something like "The sad fact that I was not able to reconcile with Glenn Frey before his death meant that I was understandably not going to be invited to participate in the Grammy tribute to him. I'll pay him tribute in my own way" or other words to that effect. Then, he could disable comments on that post to ensure none of his misguided super-fans seize the opportunity to bash Glenn, as some are currently doing in the comments on his post.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 08:00 PM
As others have said, this wasn't an Eagles reunion or a ceremony honoring the band, where one might argue he should be there. It was a tribute to Glenn Frey.

Felder knows very well Glenn wouldn't have wanted him there. The fact that he still feels he should have been invited - even though it would have been against Glenn's wishes - shows he is completely missing the point of a tribute: it was about GLENN.

Frankly, I'm astonished that he apparently can't comprehend why it would have been completely inappropriate for him to be invited. It would be like your family inviting someone you couldn't stand to deliver a eulogy at your funeral. Felder may have wanted to make up with Glenn, but it didn't happen, and Glenn no longer considered him a friend. Therefore, he has no place at the tribute for Glenn. It's as simple as that.

If Felder felt he had to comment to assuage the dimwits who don't understand why he wasn't there, I wish it could have been something like "The sad fact that I was not able to reconcile with Glenn Frey before his death meant that I was understandably not going to be invited to participate in the Grammy tribute to him. I'll pay him tribute in my own way" or other words to that effect. Then, he could disable comments on that post to ensure none of his misguided super-fans use the opportunity to bash Glenn, as some are currently doing in the comments on his post.

yeah absolutely. some were bashing Him the band and even Felder. saying stuff along the lines of... "the band was wrong they were insensitive" all this un necessary drama... it's like there is zero respect.

OutlawManNJ
02-16-2016, 08:01 PM
I think you guys are being to hard on Felder. Look ever since i read his book it was obvious that he gets a little whiny every so often, its just the way he is. Doesnt mean he is a bad person. Give the guy a break, like it or not he was instrumental in taking the Eagles to lengend status...he has the right to say what he wants. And he didnt say anything harsh anyway.

travlnman2
02-16-2016, 08:04 PM

If Felder felt he had to comment to assuage the dimwits who don't understand why he wasn't there, I wish it could have been something like "The sad fact that I was not able to reconcile with Glenn Frey before his death meant that I was understandably not going to be invited to participate in the Grammy tribute to him. I'll pay him tribute in my own way" or other words to that effect. Then, he could disable comments on that post to ensure none of his misguided super-fans use the opportunity to bash Glenn, as some are currently doing in the comments on his post.

I agree with Walsh fan and Outlaw man. This is just me but I think he is showing signs of ADHD and Impulsivity from the way I read these posts. I don't think he truly is bitter about this he just doesn't think it threw because number one it is social media and it will spread like wildfire and two he will unintentionally burn more bridges then what have already been burned. I can tell about the adhd and impulsivity because I suffer from it so I have a hard time thinking things threw before I say anything because if you talk to much you can get people pissed off and not realize it. Felder just needs to think before he posts

Freypower
02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
I think you guys are being to hard on Felder. Look ever since i read his book it was obvious that he gets a little whiny every so often, its just the way he is. Doesnt mean he is a bad person. Give the guy a break, like it or not he was instrumental in taking the Eagles to lengend status...he has the right to say what he wants. And he didnt say anything harsh anyway.

He complained that he wasn't invited to the tribute, thus once again inviting his Facebook followers to bash the Eagles & the late Glenn Frey.

His comments were completely inappropriate at this time.

GlennLover
02-16-2016, 08:56 PM
FP, this was Jennifer Lee Barton Meisner's comment on the Huffington Post article:
It was a very difficult thing to do, play the music you.ve been playing forever without Glenn,most people could not have done what they did, they were like brothers, not quite a month after his passing.

UndertheWire
02-16-2016, 09:27 PM
From The Wrap

Geez; you sue a guy, and suddenly you’re not invited to his Grammys tribute. That’s some gratitude, huh, Don Felder?

Tori
02-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'll always admire Felder for the astounding musician he is. But the statements about not being invited are totally unnecessary and unwarranted. I wouldn't want someone who attempted to sue me giving a eulogy at my funeral, that's for damn sure. He honestly needs to quit the whining and just shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

I could say a lot worse with much more colorful language (and I have on Twitter, trust me) but that has no place here. So I'll leave it at the fact that I'm very disappointed with Felder and have lost a lot of respect for him.

JennyCH
02-16-2016, 10:19 PM
UTW - The Wrap got that right. And that's the way I feel. It's that simple for me.

AlreadyGone95
02-16-2016, 10:28 PM
That wrap quote is perfect.

Felder is a great guitarist, and he added alot to the band. Nobody denies that. I do think that he truly does miss being in the band, even if it might be only because of the money involved. His actions and words do more harm than good. He either realizes that he makes the relationship worse by posting what he posts or he's in complete denial! (The latter of which fits a narcissistic person). As it has been said before, he said that he has moved on, but has shown little or no signs of doing so.

watchtower
02-16-2016, 10:47 PM
You know I know everyone is entitled to their opinion on a guy but that tribute was a heartbreaker for me. As an Eagle fan I was disappointed not to have seen Meisner and Felder up there. Potentially it was the last time they would play together. I was hoping for something similar to HOF performance, but I understood the circumstances. To me Felders post sounds like he was responding to the questions of why wasn't he at the show. It just seems that people tear apart everything he says to find an ulterior motive. This is a sad time for an Eagles fan and I hate seeing these negative posts.

SilverAcidRayne
02-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'll always admire Felder for the astounding musician he is. But the statements about not being invited are totally unnecessary and unwarranted. I wouldn't want someone who attempted to sue me giving a eulogy at my funeral, that's for damn sure. He honestly needs to quit the whining and just shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

I could say a lot worse with much more colorful language (and I have on Twitter, trust me) but that has no place here. So I'll leave it at the fact that I'm very disappointed with Felder and have lost a lot of respect for him.

Agreed. I haven't even been on Twitter in forever. Maybe I should check it out. But then again I'm kinda scared. Lol

Shadowland07
02-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Just my two cents, Felder continues to play the victim card and I'm fed up with it. He knows "how to play it so well." As much as I would love to see Felder with the other remaining Eagles...I don't think it's going to happen. It's like he himself is pouring the gasoline on the bridges and lighting the match. I think most of the people who comment on his posts (both FB and Twitter) are not real fans and/or don't bother to do their own research. It's like the people who commented blasting Jackson or accusing them of not inviting Randy to join them on the HOTE Tour. Clearly they don't know about Randy's health issues. I think Felder has just got to give up at this point and accept the reality that he may never perform with the guys again.

chaim
02-17-2016, 05:40 AM

He never says anything harsh (well, sometimes perhaps...), because it's more effective to play the nice guy and say things that make OTHER people say the harsh things for him. That's just my opinion, but it's how I've seen Felder's behavior since his book came out - when it comes to the Eagles, that is.

Maybe he was answering questions there, but he should know by now that he can say things in a neutral way (see Soda's latest post in this thread) or he can say them in a way that encourages his followers to "go for the battle" once more. It was VERY likely anyway that he wasn't going to be invited.

If I'm too harsh on Felder, so be it, as there are tons of people out there who who seem to buy only his story 100% and who keep on bashing Glenn and Don H on his Facebook page.

EDIT:

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, but why did they have Steuart Smith playing some of Bernie's parts in Take It Easy when they had Bernie there? It wasn't an Eagles concert so it's not like Steuart was needed for other songs anyway.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Someone suggested Fedler might be OCD and I thought of a quote in Marc Eliot's book about Felder before the 1980 breakup.

There were also complaints from Felder about money. He insisted on knowing where every penny was going, often going into other band members' rooms on the road to make sure his was as big as theirs. One close to the band thought it became a pathological thing: "Am I getting my fair share of the money, am I getting my fair share of the glory, am I getting my fair share of the chicks, am I getting my fair share of the dope, is my limo as big as his limo?"
Maybe it will make me feel better about the situation if I think he has a disorder that makes him do the things he does. I know I've previously suggested that some of his actions might come from his childhood when he felt deprived and undervalued.

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 07:31 AM
Someone suggested Fedler might be OCD and I thought of a quote in Marc Eliot's book about Felder before the 1980 breakup.

Maybe it will make me feel better about the situation if I think he has a disorder that makes him do the things he does. I know I've previously suggested that some of his actions might come from his childhood when he felt deprived and undervalued.

I did. I also have it so i can see the symptoms in others noticably. He also wrote in his book that he bought a merceedes out of an impulse (wouldn't we all?). because he had the money and wanted to show is father how he sucsessfull he is because his father used to say we was worthless and other colorful words
Another reason is that he wrote that he was always being compared to is older brother who was much more sucessfull at everything thennhe was but I guess Fellder showed them eh?

Olivia
02-17-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm shocked at how many Eagles fans seem to hate Felder. He was such an integral part of the Eagles music when he came on board with them. None of the Eagles were saints in their behavior. No such thing as forgive and move on I'm guessing.

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm shocked at how many Eagles fans seem to hate Felder. He was such an integral part of the Eagles music when he came on board with them. None of the Eagles were saints in their behavior. No such thing as forgive and move on I'm guessing.

This girl gets it. But the so called fans of Felder. have been moaning and bashing Henley and Glenn for years and he ,ay not feel the way they are.

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Totally agree Olivia. It is time to move on and "Get Over It". Felder will always be a part of the Eagles music and I am happy he was. His guitar work was instrumentally in moving them along in the evolution of the band. He said some things that people don't like but so did Henley and Frey.

chaim
02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
You people who are "shocked" by the "hate" against Don Felder on this forum, do you visit websites where people keep bashing Don H and especially Glenn - and who say that the Eagles were NOTHING without Felder - and tell them to cool down and say that perhaps they are exaggerating?

Usually when people criticize Don Felder over here, they say they love him as a guitarist etc. When people bash Glenn in other places, they often have NOTHING good to say about him. They're acting like Felder did the music and Glenn took the money. Very informed!

Anyway, I don't mind hearing different views on this matter. It's refreshing.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Henley and Frey had moved on, just not in the way that Felder and his fans wanted.

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 10:27 AM
I have to admit. I did like his statement he put out when Glenn first died, but reality set in probably a few days after that statement was posted. He was doing the poor poor me card like he did on Monday.

Doesn't he also not think that maybe Cindy didn't want him there either. You can't just blame Don and the guys for not inviting you. Cindy probably didn't want him there too especially after you have badmouth her husband for 15 years.

I guess Felder thinks that since Glenn is gone, Don wants to forgive and forget what happened for the past 15 years. Hello, Felder. Detroit incident anyone. That incident there tells you Don will probably never forgive him.

Felder is kinda scaring right now. Underthewire brought up something yesterday that had me very scared and I hope he doesn't do something stupid now that Glenn is gone.

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Yes we know, that was quite obvious from HOTE.

OutlawManNJ
02-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Wow. Seriously, you guys make it seem like Don and Glenn were the sweetest guys in rock and roll. Not even in their own documentary that they had their fingers all over did Don and Glenn come off as good guys. again, without Felder the Eagles would have never had Hotel California and would never have reached the levels of success that they did so I think I can tolerate Felder bitching every once in a while about stuff. He earned it and Don and Glenn also earned the criticism.

chaim
02-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Henley and Frey had moved on, just not in the way that Felder and his fans wanted.

Well said.

Olivia
02-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Wow. Seriously, you guys make it seem like Don and Glenn were the sweetest guys in rock and roll. Not even in their own documentary that they had their fingers all over did Don and Glenn come off as good guys. again, without Felder the Eagles would have never had Hotel California and would never have reached the levels of success that they did so I think I can tolerate Felder bitching every once in a while about stuff. He earned it and Don and Glenn also earned the criticism.

Well said OutlawManNJ! No one is taking away from the incredible music they all brought to us. Just seems that so many people want to act like Felder had nothing at all to do with the Eagles success. He is constantly criticized. It's a free country, he can have his say, just as Glenn & Don had their say also about him in HOTE.

OutlawManNJ
02-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Its easier to move on when you keep the Name, power, money and control. Then its real easy to move on! Its rediculous that you want to think they all left on even grounds so Felder should just zip it.

chaim
02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Well said OutlawManNJ! No one is taking away from the incredible music they all brought to us. Just seems that so many people want to act like Felder had nothing at all to do with the Eagles success. He is constantly criticized. It's a free country, he can have his say, just as Glenn & Don had their say also about him in HOTE.

I have never seen anyone say this on this forum. People around here are aware that he did great stuff musically. I must admit that I'm not a frequent visitor, but still...

EDIT:

By the way, there are also comments like this one (from Felder's Facebook page): "Don F. Had more to do with the Eagles legacy possibly more than any other Eagle!"

Brooke
02-17-2016, 10:42 AM
I can't for the life of my figure out why anyone is even questioning why Felder wasn't there! The band moved on without him and were touring for over 14 years after he was fired! They filled sold out stadiums without him! Why in the world would they ask him to be there? None of the remaining members had anything to do with him anymore! He sued them! He wrote and said nasty things about them!

Can't you people figure it out? :brickwall:

I know he was an amazingly talented musician! He influenced their music. (read above paragraph again) Get over it and move on! Geez!

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 10:52 AM
I can understand why he was not invited, I am sure Glenn's wife and children did not want him there, but there is nothing wrong with Felder expressing his want to be there to honor Glenn. Just because he was fired (he must have had some justification to sue) and was not with the band for the last 14 years does not make him sad that Glenn is gone or make him want to express his condolences and feelings about his ex-bandmate.

Olivia
02-17-2016, 10:57 AM
But Bernie was there. He was only labeled as a "guest" on this last tour as I've seen in some news articles. I do get that he & the others didn't have the falling out that Felder did. But he's technically not a band member either.

OutlawManNJ
02-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I can understand why he was not invited, I am sure Glenn's wife and children did not want him there, but there is nothing wrong with Felder expressing his want to be there to honor Glenn. Just because he was fired (he must have had some justification to sue) and was not with the band for the last 14 years does not make him sad that Glenn is gone or make him want to express his condolences and feelings about his ex-bandmate.

Exactly i can also understand why he wasnt invited...but as you said that doesnt mean Felder cant express his sadness in not being there. Also as far as lawsuits , please, in hollywood and music they sue each other left and right and still work together if not immediately , later on.

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 11:08 AM
I never understood that about Bernie. I know he has been gone for awhile but he was hired to play in the band just like Joe and Tim, so they are officially an Eagle but Bernie is not.

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Exactly i can also understand why he wasnt invited...but as you said that doesnt mean Felder cant express his sadness in not being there. Also as far as lawsuits , please, hollywood and music being sue each other left and right and still work together if not immediately , later on.

That is so true, I mean the Eagles sued David Geffen and then Henley worked with him again and sued him again.

chaim
02-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Exactly i can also understand why he wasnt invited...but as you said that doesnt mean Felder cant express his sadness in not being there. Also as far as lawsuits , please, hollywood and music being sue each other left and right and still work together if not immediately , later on.

With the history of Glenn and Don H bashing in the internet - including Don Felder's own Facebook page - Don F should know by now that there's the possibility that he's encouraging his fans to bash them even more if he doesn't choose his words more carefully. That's what, I think, is the problem with some people. It's what bothers me, but I can't speak for others.

Like Sodascouts said in her latest post, if Don F had written something like "I can understand why I wasn't invited..." it would be a different matter. But the way he put it is bound to make people "fight for him" so to speak. And it worked. I'm not talking about you, but his fans on his Facebook page.

EDIT:

I would assume that it hurts Don F to see people constantly bashing Don H and Glenn on his Facebook page - especially since Glenn's departure.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 12:13 PM
I love Felder and his music. Unbelievable talent. And gorgeous. Lol

BUT... I don't know him as a person. I've never met him. But like the rest of us I can tell from recent behavior he is kind of 'acting out'. The post yesterday. he may have been answering questions. He may have worded it wrong. I know how it is to say things and act out on impulse. Maybe he will change it. If the history with him and the band is that bad beyond repair then maybe he should stay quiet and mourn in his own way. BUT he's an ex eagle. They would expect something from him. What I think all of us wanted is for them to put all differences aside just for that moment and be there. but if it is that serious then I guess we will never see it. If he makes a serious effort to apologize maybe? Idk.

Olivia
02-17-2016, 12:19 PM
I really don't see what he has to apologize for. All he said was that he wished he could have been part of it. He's an ex-bandmate. He is allowed to feel bad about Glenn's death, even though they weren't friendly. They had alot of history together. I don't see anything in his wording that he was acting out. If he hadn't said anything at all about it, then he'd be harassed for not saying anything!

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Damned if you do and damned if you don't. No matter what he does people will not be happy because he did not conform to the Eagle rules.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
That is true... but what I meant was just because they have the history together and all that happened... if he did damage their friendship by the whole suing and all this maybe this would be the time for them to just hash it out. it won't be overnight forgiveness but at least there's an effort. he is absolutely allowed to feel horrible. they shared many a stage together and fell out. happens with most.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 12:32 PM
It's not Eagles Rules, it's good manners. You don't complain publicly when you are not invited.

OutlawManNJ
02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
That is true... but what I meant was just because they have the history together and all that happened... if he did damage their friendship by the whole suing and all this maybe this would be the time for them to just hash it out. it won't be overnight forgiveness but at least there's an effort. he is absolutely allowed to feel horrible. they shared many a stage together and fell out. happens with most.

Did you ever consider that maybe him suing the band was the right thing to do? Why do people keep blaming him for suing? He did damage by suing? Maybe the damage was done by the henley and freys greed. Again ill repeat, without Felder magical moment in which he came up with the music for hotel california The Eagles would be famous but not nearly what they became. Felder literally put hundreds of millions of dollars in henley and freys pocket. He deserves more respect and maybe he sued for a good reason.

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM
It's not Eagles Rules, it's good manners. You don't complain publicly when you are not invited.

What I meant by Eagles rules is that he was fired because he did not follow the rules that Henley and Frey put in place. As far as complaining, I do not find his statement to be complaining, I find it to be a wish to have been able to honor someone he spent a lot of time with and collaborated on some of the best music this world has ever known. No matter what he does people are complaining.

OutlawManNJ
02-17-2016, 12:45 PM
Also i love it when band members and former band members speak out. We learn things. Without Felders book imagine how much stuff we would have never heard of. So im all for Felder and others expressing themselves. Otherwise we wouldnt have all that much to talk about.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Like I said... I do not know the whole story. If they were greedy and all this then they were. if they were nasty people then they were. the main reason I said that is because people are leaving. people are dying. If there is bad blood then I believe in airing things out. if he had a right to sue he did. that's all business. strip all that away and you have friends that are mad at each other and there's no forgiveness in sight. He lost a friend too. Maybe he wants to mend things.

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 12:48 PM
My problem with Don Felder is the way that he words things. He makes it so that his fans feel sorry for him, and he eats that stuff up. He's not responsible for what his fans say, but he could ask them to stop bashing Glenn and Don, but he hasn't yet. I'm talking about in general, from what I've seen on his Facebook page. Whether or not he really does feel upset over Glenn's death, I don't know. You would think that if he did, he would politely ask the people who comment on his posts to be nice at this time.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 12:49 PM
My problem with Don Felder is the way that he words things. He makes it so that his fans feel sorry for him, and he eats that stuff up. He's not responsible for what his fans say, but he could ask them to stop bashing Glenn and Don, but he hasn't yet. I'm talking about in general, from what I've seen on his Facebook page. Whether or not he really does feel upset over Glenn's death, I don't know. You would think that if he did, he would politely ask the people who comment on his posts to be nice at this time.

That's exactly what I mean. He may mean well but how he says things...

chaim
02-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Indeed. He could say to his fans that "I didn't mean to start a Don Henley (or Glenn Frey) bashing" etc. But he never does. Why?

Incidentally, he still refers to the band as "The Eagles" with a capitol T. Interesting.

Buttercup
02-17-2016, 12:55 PM
That's exactly what I mean. He may mean well but how he says things...

That is true but people have a tendency when they like someone or don't like someone to read a statement to fit how they feel about the person. It can be very subjective.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Yes absolutely. I'm sometimes guilty of it. Like I read into the post yesterday and thought he was childish. After thinking about it he just blurted it out. His intentions maybe were messed up. Then again it's social media. Lol

MaryCalifornia
02-17-2016, 01:09 PM
I believe you will find that the VAST majority of Border members like and respect Felder, and appreciate his talent and contributions to the Eagles.

The problem is that he keeps acting like an imbecile on social media, over and over and over. He talks about not being "invited" to Eagles performances, and this recent example is the WORST.

His proper response to fans asking why he wasn't at the Grammys is, "Great to see the guys up there honoring Glenn. It must have been tough for them. The world will sure miss his singing. RIP Glenn Frey."

But, that's not how his mind works.

I just think he makes himself look so pitiful to those in the music industry with these types of posts. Nobody has a problem with the fact that he disagreed with Don and Glenn, and was fired, and sued - that comes with the territory, fans understand that.

Don and Irving dislike him and want nothing to do with him and certainly will never engage in any future transaction with him. He will never be invited to any Eagles thing, ever.

When I commented in another thread that he needs to STOP posting his thoughts on Randy Meisner's conservatorship litigation, he took his posts down. Hopefully he'll "refine" these recent posts to put the focus on Glenn and not himself.

Having said all of that, I enjoy watching Felder be interviewed and I would buy his book, if he wrote another. I don't dislike him.

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 01:13 PM
I believe you will find that the VAST majority of Border members like and respect Felder, and appreciate his talent and contributions to the Eagles.

The problem is that he keeps acting like an imbecile on social media, over and over and over. He talks about not being "invited" to Eagles performances, and this recent example is the WORST.

His proper response to fans asking why he wasn't at the Grammys is, "Great to see the guys up there honoring Glenn. It must have been tough for them. The world will sure miss his singing. RIP Glenn Frey."

But, that's not how his mind works.

I just think he makes himself look so pitiful to those in the music industry with these types of posts. Nobody has a problem with the fact that he disagreed with Don and Glenn, and was fired, and sued - that comes with the territory, fans understand that.

Don and Irving dislike him and want nothing to do with him and certainly will never engage in any future transaction with him. He will never be invited to any Eagles thing, ever.

When I commented in another thread that he needs to STOP posting his thoughts on Randy Meisner's conservatorship litigation, he took his posts down. Hopefully he'll "refine" these recent posts to put the focus on Glenn and not himself.
Well Henley and Irving can't make discussion on the Eagles when they receive an award. When there is still Joe Timothy and Bernie (who actually got Felder into the band in the first place). How do they feel about felder? Like I would like Felder to be at the Kennedy Center Honors and if he is the only member not to be there that is still alive that will piss of a lot of people because like it or not he is as much a part of the Eagles legacy as them. I mean if Don can thank David Geffen in his acceptance speeches he can do the same for felder.

Anyone remeber this qoute from Joe in the doc on the Rock n Roll hall of fame.
"I am very glad Berenie and Randy were recognized I thought it was very appropriate". Felder drove him to rehab and is very greatfull to so why would he not want him there:shrug:

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Kennedy Center. I forgot about that.

Olivia
02-17-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm sure the Kennedy Center award will open up a whole new can of worms regarding Randy and Don F. Someone earlier mentioned that Felder is as much of the legacy of the Eagles as the rest of them. So true.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm sure the Kennedy Center award will open up a whole new can of worms regarding Randy and Don F. Someone earlier mentioned that Felder is as much of the legacy of the Eagles as the rest of them. So true.

Yes exactly. I don't think they would have a choice in this one. it's a huge honor.

Brooke
02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes exactly. I don't think they would have a choice in this one. it's a huge honor.

Choice? It's already been announced that the then current four members were the ones to be honored.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 02:48 PM
Choice? It's already been announced that the then current four members were the ones to be honored.

Wait the early lineup or this one?

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Glenn, Don, Joe and Timothy were going to be honored. Of course KCH is in the air right now since we don't know if they will still do it in December since they lost Glenn and they pushed it back to this year because they wanted Glenn there.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Oh that's right. I forgot all about that... mind is all over the place lol

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
When Randy Meisner spoke to a newspaper following Glenn's death he said he had been going to go to the KC Awards.

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Glenn, Don, Joe and Timothy were going to be honored. Of course KCH is in the air right now since we don't know if they will still do it in December since they lost Glenn and they pushed it back to this year because they wanted Glenn there.

If kennedy center includes everyone it will be good for both camps. On the Felder side he would finally be able to see them and play with them again and on the Henley and Azoff side it would get Felder to shut up:thumbsup:. I also think that Joe and Timothy would want Bernie, Randy and Fingers to also be honored.

Like how when Timothy said at the hof "I wasn't in the trenches with this particular band so I would like to thank my predecessor Randy Meisner for
being there to pave the way for me being here tonight." and Joe saying "I am happy that Bernie and Randy were recongized Its very appropriate." Here is my take on what Joe thinks about Felder just from this quote from HOTE.

"Glenn often made decisions that were good for the Eagles but it made Don Felder who was great for the Eagles very unhappy". Or something like that.

edit Redstorm yes Joe did say that in part 1 but he said the quote above in part 2.

SilverAcidRayne
02-17-2016, 04:05 PM
I call him walshy. He shall be my walshy.

yes. I do sound like I'm 4. :hilarious:

Brooke
02-17-2016, 04:19 PM
There was a petition but it didn't do any good, their minds were already made up. They still said the current 4 would be the honorees. Don, Glenn, Tim, Joe.

Who knows what will happen now that Glenn is gone.

Shadowland07
02-17-2016, 05:25 PM
1) The Eagles would not be expected to play at the Honors, with or without Felder. Other artists perform in their "honor." 2) That's not the Walsh quote. The quote was "There were a lot of decisions business-wise that needed to be made in a secret session with Glenn and Don and Irving in the back of the plane. I didn't like that I wasn't part of that but I knew that it was good for the Eagles. Don Felder really didn't like it." If you are going to use quotation marks, you need to be completely accurate with your quotes. 3) Your grammar, punctuation and mechanics are all atrocious. Considering Soda's profession, I will bet good money that it is setting her hair on fire.

I think they were talking about Joe's speech at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. Unfortunately the clip available on YouTube is incomplete so I won't link to it.

Shadowland07
02-17-2016, 05:58 PM
I think you should read travlnman2's post again. We were talking about the Kennedy Center Honors. Plus, Joe never referenced Felder in his HOF speech. That was from HOTE documentary.

I thought you were talking about this quote:and Joe saying "I am happy that Bernie and Randy were recongized Its very appropriate."

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 06:05 PM
[quote=redstorm1968;323062]I think you should read travlnman2's post again. We were talking about the Kennedy Center Honors. Plus, Joe never referenced Felder in his HOF speech. That was from HOTE documentary.[/quote

Yes all of you guys are right I am describing on how his quote from the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and the HOTE doc would be how he feels about this situation.

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 06:15 PM
:computer:
Here is my take on what Joe thinks about Felder just from this qoute.
"Glenn often made decisions that were good for the Eagles but it made Don Felder who was great for the eagles very unhappy". something like that.

2) That's not the Walsh quote. The quote was "There were a lot of decisions business-wise that needed to be made in a secret session with Glenn and Don and Irving in the back of the plane. I didn't like that I wasn't part of that but I knew that it was good for the Eagles. Don Felder really didn't like it." If you are going to use quotation marks, you need to be completely accurate with your quotes.

I am not sure how all this confusion came about because it looks pretty straightforward to me. I was responding to a direct quote that I even referenced in my response.I say again that if you are going to use quotation marks, you need to be completely accurate with your quote.

EDITED

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 06:21 PM
By editing you mean that I condensed your statement down to the specific remark that I was contesting, you are correct. I only quoted that statement.

He said my statement and your's in the doc.

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 06:25 PM
At what specific point? I'd like to go check it out.

I think it was part 2.

Shadowland07
02-17-2016, 06:26 PM
:brickwall:

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 07:08 PM
"I think it was part 2?"

That's exactly what I thought you'd say. Check you later, man. :bye:

What do you mean?

GoranV
02-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Sorry, maybe my English not so good, but Don Felder said he would have been honored to have been invited. Why is being bashed for saying that? Sounds respectful to me. Sounds like ready to forgive, why is that bad thing? Don't understand why all so mad at him.

UndertheWire
02-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Because Felder is making it about him, not Glenn. No one expected him to be part of the tribute, so why is he bothering to tell us he was not invited?

sad-cafe
02-17-2016, 09:11 PM
In addition--Take It Easy was NOT recorded with him

Felder may be gifted in music but he is NOT gifted in personal relationships.

"Hotel California was not brought to the band as a song"

just chord progressions that GLENN and DON H made a song.

and call me crazy, but I don't even think HC is their best song. SO, all that being said I do not think Mr. Felder made "The Eagles" they would have been just fine without him and maybe we would have had more.

Shadowland07
02-17-2016, 09:13 PM
In addition--Take It Easy was NOT recorded with him

Felder may be gifted in music but he is NOT gifted in personal relationships.

"Hotel California was not brought to the band as a song"

just chord progressions that GLENN and DON H made a song.

and call me crazy, but I don't even think HC is their best song. SO, all that being said I do not think Mr. Felder made "The Eagles" they would have been just fine without him and maybe we would have had more.

Hopefully we would have had more. Don't forget about Don and Glenn's relationship at the time of The Long Run. They really needed a vacation, just not a 14 year vacation.

sad-cafe
02-17-2016, 10:14 PM
um

pretty sure none of them sued and wrote a book full of lies to "expose" things.

I am not, have not, never will be a felder fan.

That he used Glenn's death to once again make it about him or invited people to trash Glenn and Don is disgusting

EagleLady
02-17-2016, 10:14 PM
I am not surprised Felder would pull this :unimpressed:

Get over it Felder you sued them why would you all of a sudden be invited back to be on stage with them?

sad-cafe
02-17-2016, 10:15 PM
exactly

02-17-2016, 10:32 PM
I don't know if Soda is around right now or not, but I'll weigh in here. It is okay to express your opinion, but it needs to be done in a way that is respectful to all members (including former members) of the band and their fans. SC - I'm afraid I have to agree that your post crossed the line. You can criticize, but let's use some common courtesy here. Just ask yourself how would you feel if someone used ugly or offensive language to describe your favorite Eagle.

Note from admin: The post which this references has been deleted.

sad-cafe
02-17-2016, 10:36 PM
fine

I'm done

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 10:47 PM
The band broke up in 1980 but isn't this how it went down?

Henley.It all came ahead in long beach we were playing a benefit for senator Allen Cranston.

Glenn: Now Felder didn't like us doing benefits he thought it should have been money going into his pocket. I mean why aren't we doing this for Jerry Brown or anti nukes.

Fielder: I was completely misinformed about politics I couldn't care less about politics I didn't even know or care who Allen Cranston was.

Henley: When Senator Cranston was finished he came up to each and everyone of us to personally thank us and when he got to Mr. Felder he said I wanted to thank you and Felder said your welcome and when the senator turned away he said "I guess?".

Felder : I guess.

Irving: I guess and Glenn heard it.

Glenn I just went "inhales angerly" I walked into the tunning room were Walsh and Felder were and I was drinking a long neck bud and I threw it a against the wall and walked away. I got mad and I got even more mad by the time I walked onstage I was seething"

Glenn: So we get onstage and I am like Okay let's try to make things look like they're okay.
Random audio recording of the concert

Timothy: I never realized how bad the tension was at that show and Felder and Glenn were fighting onstage and szymczyk caught audio of it.

Audio recording
Glenn : "Your a real pro Don. All the way".
Felder: Yeah you are to especially the way you handle people even those you pay no one gives a :censored: about it
Glenn: :censored:'you I have been pay you for 7 years you :censored:
End of audio
Glenn: I am looking over at him it's almost toward the end of the set and I am ready to go. I am like three more songs ":censored:"

Felder: When we get off stage I am going to kick your :censored: .

Joe:woah when your saying that kind of things onstage and your in front of people oh no.

Audio recording.
Glenn: I am going to kill you I can't wait, I can't wait.
Recording ends.

Glenn:'I just keep looking at him you ungrateful :censored:.

Sorry but it seems Glenn is at fault for the 1980 breakup because he over reacted at Felder's comment. I mean who else didn't know who Allen Cranston was until the Eagles?

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 11:01 PM
I am not surprised Felder would pull this :unimpressed:

Get over it Felder you sued them why would you all of a sudden be invited back to be on stage with them?

Henley sued David Geffen as an Eagle went back to him as a solo artist and sued him again.

sodascouts
02-17-2016, 11:32 PM
This is an emotional time and sometimes things get out of hand. However, it's true that we can't allow people to call band members or ex-band members names. I welcome the opinion of everyone including sad-cafe and I understand why she is upset; we just have to not allow ourselves to get carried away.

I'm going to go back in the thread and do a little cleaning up so we can just forget about it and move on.

TW
02-17-2016, 11:34 PM
drama :unimpressed:

sodascouts
02-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Henley sued David Geffen as an Eagle went back to him as a solo artist and sued him again.

Actually, the second time, David Geffen initiated the lawsuit, although Don Henley counter-sued in response. I think it is important to try and be precise when you are criticizing people. Too often people get criticized for things they didn't actually say or do, just because people repeat what they heard someone else say, when someone else was wrong. Do your own research. It takes time, but it's worth it. That's what I tell my students. :)

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 11:39 PM
Actually, the second time, David Geffen initiated the lawsuit, although Don Henley counter-sued in response. I think it is important to try and be precise when you are criticizing people. Too often people get criticized for things they didn't actually say or do, just because people repeat what they heard someone else say, when someone else was wrong. Do your own research. It takes time, but it's worth it. That's what I tell my students. :)

So maybe they could let Felder back and then sue him.

But on another note I dont't think Felder could be blamed for the 1980 breakup when that transcript proves Glenn overacted.

AlreadyGone95
02-17-2016, 11:43 PM
This is an emotional time and somethings things get out of hand. However, it's true that we can't allow people to call band members or ex-band members names. I welcome the opinion of everyone including sad-cafe and I understand why she is upset; we just have to not allow ourselves to get carried away.

I'm going to go back in the thread and do a little cleaning up so we can just forget about it and move on.

For future reference, would me saying that I think Felder may be narcissistic, cross the line?

travlnman2
02-17-2016, 11:44 PM
For future reference, would me saying that I think Felder may be narcissistic, cross the line?

I saiid he could be ocd.:censored:

sodascouts
02-17-2016, 11:48 PM

Some words are more loaded than others. I wouldn't say "may be narcissistic" crosses the line, but a good rule of thumb is "if in doubt... leave it out."

Freypower
02-18-2016, 12:06 AM
So maybe they could let Felder back and then sue him.

But on another note I dont't think Felder could be blamed for the 1980 breakup when that transcript proves Glenn overacted.

You chose to omit a couple of words Glenn used where he said that he thought about Felder 'you selfish, ungrateful SOB'. I guess it didn't fit your interpretation.

But really, should be we still be rehashing this stuff over & over again when we should be trying to remember Glenn? What does it matter? Seriously. What on earth does it matter.

maryc2130
02-18-2016, 08:13 AM
You chose to omit a couple of words Glenn used where he said that he thought about Felder 'you selfish, ungrateful SOB'. I guess it didn't fit your interpretation.

But really, should be we still be rehashing this stuff over & over again when we should be trying to remember Glenn? What does it matter? Seriously. What on earth does it matter.

Yes, in reading over this thread, I couldn't help but feel that we're doing exactly what Felder did that made a lot of people angry - making it about him. In our disagreements, we should be careful not to make it about Felder, either, in a time of trying to honor and remember Glenn.

travlnman2
02-18-2016, 08:57 AM

I forgot about it and did not choose to leave it out:oops:

SilverAcidRayne
02-18-2016, 02:31 PM
wow. this escalated quickly.... :woah:

UndertheWire
02-18-2016, 02:43 PM
It's what happens when people are in an emotional state. +I was tempted - for a minute - to wade in with all the old arguments but realised there was no point. Arguing won't bring Glenn back or bring Don Felder closer to the reconciliation he's seeking.

Brooke
02-18-2016, 03:12 PM
It's what happens when people are in an emotional state. +I was tempted - for a minute - to wade in with all the old arguments but realised there was no point. Arguing won't bring Glenn back or bring Don Felder closer to the reconciliation he's seeking.

Exactly, and now I'm leaving this thread never to return!

travlnman2
02-18-2016, 03:37 PM
wow. this escalated quickly.... :woah:

:saberfight:

tequila mockingbird
02-18-2016, 06:22 PM
3) Your grammar, punctuation and mechanics are all atrocious. Considering Soda's profession, I will bet good money that it is setting her hair on fire.

Super rude and totally uncalled for.

Freypower
02-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Can I repeat what I said earlier which is to give this a rest, please. The last thing we need is personal bickering.

SilverAcidRayne
02-18-2016, 07:05 PM
:saberfight:

I haven't even seen Star Wars yet. maybe I should lol

sad-cafe
02-18-2016, 09:57 PM
I am just calling it like I see it. Have another drink of tequila. You will be okay.

:sad:

sodascouts
02-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Too much drama, mama! Let's be nice to each other.

WalshFan88
02-18-2016, 11:04 PM

Agreed.

AlreadyGone95
02-19-2016, 09:50 AM

Where's all the tall drinks to go with this drama? :lol:

(Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood some)

UndertheWire
02-19-2016, 06:44 PM
That Facebook entry has been removed.

MaryCalifornia
02-19-2016, 08:23 PM

I could so be his social media/PR advisor, for a small monthly fee!

LuvTim
02-19-2016, 08:48 PM
I could so be his social media/PR advisor, for a small monthly fee!

Lol...:nod:

sodascouts
02-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Yes, I'm sure that will go a long way to reducing the drama. What are we, in high school?

You may be contemptuous of the "be nice" approach, but it seems everyone actually has been pretty polite in this thread since I posted it.

Well, everyone but you.

Anyway, kudos to Felder for taking down the Facebook post.

travlnman2
02-19-2016, 11:54 PM
What are we, in high school?

I am. :P

MaryCalifornia
02-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Pretty sure we have several young'ins on here under 18

SilverAcidRayne
02-20-2016, 03:20 AM
You may be contemptuous of the "be nice" approach, but it seems everyone actually has been pretty polite in this thread since I posted it.

Well, everyone but you.

Anyway, kudos to Felder for taking down the Facebook post.

Did he really? wow. I haven't noticed

chaim
02-20-2016, 03:48 AM
Nice that he removed the post - from Twitter as well. It was there for several days and everyone got their chance to learn why Felder wasn't there, playing TIE. So the post had served its purpose, since it obviously produced nothing else.

WalshFan88
02-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Good on him for removing it, but he shouldn't have posted it in the first place.

armus2112
02-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Just watched the Eagles 1976-11-06 Houston, Texas concert. Man, Felder does it all. Banjo, mandolin, pedal steel guitar, 12-string acoustic, etc. Great stuff! :headbang:

Olivia
02-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Just watched the Eagles 1976-11-06 Houston, Texas concert. Man, Felder does it all. Banjo, mandolin, pedal steel guitar, 12-string acoustic, etc. Great stuff! :headbang:

I love watching the old 70's concert and performance footage. Wish there was more out there.

sad-cafe
03-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Good on him for removing it, but he shouldn't have posted it in the first place.

exactly but I think he got what he wanted from it

UndertheWire
04-12-2016, 09:46 AM
I don't know if this has been posted before, but it Don answers a lot of questions about equipment, including what was used and sometimes who played what on a few Eagles songs. Certainly, this is one for Toni (are you the same Toni who asked the question below?)

http://www.felderfans.com/guitar-q-a-with-don/

Here's a couple:

Mark from Wales asked, “On the rhythm track for “I Can’t Tell You Why” do you use a delay to get the repeated chords?”
Yes, that is an old Echoplex set to the exact delay speed as the tempo of the song. I played each chord once and let the echo do the magic.

“There are harmonized (lead) guitars in One Of These Nights (throughout the song) and Too Many Hands (choruses). Who played them? Thanks again,” – Toni
In those days Glenn and I played most of the electric harmony guitar parts.

chaim
04-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't know if this has been posted before, but it Don answers a lot of questions about equipment, including what was used and sometimes who played what on a few Eagles songs. Certainly, this is one for Toni (are you the same Toni who asked the question below?)

http://www.felderfans.com/guitar-q-a-with-don/

Here's a couple:

Yes, it's me. I believe I posted this when Don had answered my question. I was disappointed in his reply. He didn't talk about the specific songs I mentioned, he just spoke in general terms. So the harmonized guitars in OOTN could be all Glenn and the ones in TMH could be Glenn and Don, for example.

Don played the 12-string acoustic in TMH. I believe it's Bernie playing the clean(ish) electric that also plays the riff. If so, Glenn probably played the harmony parts? At least some of them.

I hate to say this, but it probably wouldn't be easy for Don to admit if Glenn played all the harmony guitars in OOTN since he always raves about his own contributions to that song. Like I've said many times, I remember Don saying in an old interview "after Glenn does the introduction", which must have referred to the guitar harmonies. Also, whenever I've seen them reproduce those harmony parts in the choruses live, it has been Glenn and Don (or Steuart). Joe has never played any of them. IMO this supports my assumption that Glenn was heavily involved with them in the studio.

scottside
04-12-2016, 12:53 PM
In concert, Bernie Leadon played the 12 string acoustic on "Too Many Hands" and Glenn and Don F the electrics. I would think Bernie would've done the same on the actual recording.

chaim
04-12-2016, 02:01 PM
In concert, Bernie Leadon played the 12 string acoustic on "Too Many Hands" and Glenn and Don F the electrics. I would think Bernie would've done the same on the actual recording.

As I recall, Don talks about playing the 12-string part on the album in his book. He says something like it almost made his fingers bleed.

Funk 50
05-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Run-of-the-mill article publicising an up-coming live show;
http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/05/18/felder-eagles-hoosier-park-california-indianapolis-visions-shoes-victim-heavy-metal/84144442/

Non-Eagles selections include “Heavy Metal (Takin’ a Ride),” which Felder wrote and recorded for 1981 animated film “Heavy Metal,”

Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) was an outtake from the Eagles The Long Run album, Henley even sings on it. I get a little bit annoyed when Felder uses it as an example of the music he's done outside of the Eagles.

I wonder if he'll perform a tribute to Glenn during his May dates?

According to Setlist.fm, just like Joe, Don has added Take It To the Limit to his standard set list:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/don-felder/2016/avalon-ballroom-theatre-niagara-falls-on-canada-2bf0881e.html

Freypower
05-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Run-of-the-mill article publicising an up-coming live show;
http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/05/18/felder-eagles-hoosier-park-california-indianapolis-visions-shoes-victim-heavy-metal/84144442/

Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) was an outtake from the Eagles The Long Run album, Henley even sings on it. I get a little bit annoyed when Felder uses it as an example of the music he's done outside of the Eagles.

I wonder if he'll perform a tribute to Glenn during his May dates?

According to Setlist.fm, just like Joe, Don has added Take It To the Limit to his standard set list:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/don-felder/2016/avalon-ballroom-theatre-niagara-falls-on-canada-2bf0881e.html

I think Schmit sings on it too, but if Walsh & Frey don't appear on it, it can't be called an outtake and can be legitimately classed as solo work. Let's face it - he doesn't have much else.

As to whether he does a tribute to Glenn I think he should leave it alone. His whole show is a tribute to the Eagles anyway. Since he threw his tantrum about not being included in the Grammy tribute it doesn't matter to me what he does.

UndertheWire
05-19-2016, 08:09 AM
This is my second attempt with this. To me it seems that Don Felder is unfortunate in his timing of this interview and although I initially thought it showed a lack of sensitivity, maybe it just shows how out of the loop he is.

When I heard Joe's interview where he said about how it was too soon to talk about Glenn or the Eagles, it brought home what a big shock it has been. So when I read some random person's comment about how Joe should have Don Felder as a special guest, I thought it was ridiculous. If he can't even talk about Glenn and what he meant to him, why would Joe create controversy by bringing in Don Felder? Unless ticket sales are poor and he needs publicity at any cost, I don't see any upside.

But now we have Felder talking about how much he'd like to play with Joe again and " I would hope that whatever powers that be, management or whatever, would allow us to get together and play." Maybe he has a point there, as I don't see that Joe's management would see it as a good move to play with Felder at this point. If Felder had kept it more personal and talked about wanting to renew his friendship with Joe and get together and jam some time, maybe I'd have been ok with it, but this sounds too businesslike.

Funk 50
05-19-2016, 09:50 AM
In another thread I imagined Randy turning up at one of Joe's shows and joining in with Joe's Take It To The Limit tribute to Glenn. If Don Felder turned up at a Walsh gig and offered to join the tribute, I think Joe would gently but vociferously decline.

I hope Don, now the reconciliation with the Eagles is impossible, isn't going to switch his focus to a possible reconciliation with Joe Walsh.

In my opinion. the only time Walsh and Felder were a true team, was during the Hotel California guitar break, which lately, Felder has increased his own significance to the detriment of Joe's contribution.

Freypower
05-19-2016, 06:06 PM
I hand't read the interview until I read UTW's post. I agree with both UTW & F50 on this.

Being very blunt.... it's like 'well, that's out of the way. Now perhaps I can play with Joe again'.

Not only is it insensitive it demonstrates a continued refusal to face reality.

WalshFan88
05-19-2016, 10:44 PM
In my opinion. the only time Walsh and Felder were a true team, was during the Hotel California guitar break, which lately, Felder has increased his own significance to the detriment of Joe's contribution.

I take issue with the first (bolded) part. I think they were a guitar team not just on HC but even on older songs. When they played their solos they played off of one another and they competed in a friendly way. Their playing styles melded together perfectly, and they really did enjoy playing together. They were a true team up to the point of the firing and IMO, they were the best guitar duo ever.

The second half of this I agree with, I loves Joe's part in HC as much as Felder's.

chaim
05-20-2016, 02:51 AM
On the Joe & Don subject...Joe is always praised as a guitarist and showman, but for me he was much more than a "guitar battle partner" for Don. I've always been amazed by what he did on New Kid In Town even though he didn't even touch a guitar. The electric piano and organ parts are both brilliant. A very nice touch on the organ in I Can't Tell You Why. Very beautiful (and far from obvious) chord voicings on the piano in Pretty Maids All In A Row.

Don has often said that he wrote guitar parts for him and Joe to play on Hotel California. But whenever Don was making a significant contribution like that, Joe was making some other significant contributions elsewhere - like the ones I mentioned above. It's not like people were just waiting for Don to give cool parts for them.

This belongs in another thread, but I felt I need to say something on this Don F/Joe thing. Just to remind myself that Joe wasn't in the band just to be a "guitar battle partner" for Don.

UndertheWire
05-20-2016, 05:03 AM
How would guitar players rate Waddy Watchel compared to Don Felder? Seeing Joe interact with Waddy, I wondered what Don could bring to Joe's act apart from his name.

If I was a journalist interviewing Don, the question I'd want to ask is "Will we get to see you play with Joe Walsh again?" and I think that's what happened here. Unfortunately, the mention of managers, made his reply sound too calculated.

If Joe's solo tour sells well, it puts him in a different league to Felder and his casino show.

SilverAcidRayne
05-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Did Joe actually have issues with Felder too? I remember hearing that he didn't have any issues with anyone in the band and that he came in when all their problems was starting to unfold and so he wasn't really involved. I have seen Felder pop up on facebook once or twice after a long while of being quiet though

shunlvswx
05-21-2016, 03:29 PM
I went back to Don's book to find out what Joe said to Don when he called Joe after he got fired. Joe didn't say anything to say don't call me again.

The only reason I can think of as to why Joe and Don never worked together again is Joe probably didn't want to make Don and Glenn mad. I could be wrong, but that kinda makes sense now. Since the Eagles are no more and Glenn is gone, Don thinks Joe can now work with him. He has nobody to tell him he can't work with him. I don't know. Maybe it was Joe's decision to not talk or work with Don after he got fired so he won't make Don and Glenn mad. I don't know if he feels that way today.

I know Don said he hopes to work with Joe again, but has Joe ever said that he wants to work with Don again?

glennthegreat
05-21-2016, 04:25 PM
I take issue with the first (bolded) part. I think they were a guitar team not just on HC but even on older songs. When they played their solos they played off of one another and they competed in a friendly way. Their playing styles melded together perfectly, and they really did enjoy playing together. They were a true team up to the point of the firing and IMO, they were the best guitar duo ever.

The second half of this I agree with, I loves Joe's part in HC as much as Felder's.

Glenn Frey was one of the greatest musical minds and band leaders ever! We will never know the full three sides to his problems with Felder - But we know for sure the great music (unequaled in some cases) that the band created. To dismiss and bring down their respective talents and contributions, is short selling the legacy of the band.

Joe played live with the band on many instances prior to joining, where Glenn and everyone else recognized his chemistry with Felder and the rest of the band. Without such chemistry, Glenn would have never made him a member.

For proof of chemistry beyond just Hotel California, "the song" check out Joe's live album before joining the band called "You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind" - It features two guitarists - Joe Walsh and Don Felder.
The Hotel California tour, and even the Long Run Tour, Joe's solo album "There Goes The Neighborhood", especially "Rivers Of The Hidden Funk".

Their tone and energy are almost interchangeable, and not just on the uptempo stuff.

Felder, - whatever some fans may think of him ( he sometimes seems like a big act to me - but maybe it's not, who knows) is one of the greatest melodic rock guitarists of all time and highly respected musically by his peers. His subtlety, precise sound elevate the songs to higher levels. It's ok to bash him for his book, depiction of Frey/Henley (some may argue that it was within his rights) his ego etc. But I don't think there's any merit to lowering his genius on the guitar and contributions to the band.

I would have put Joe and Don higher in this countdown, but I'm bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXtg9zg1ggc

Freypower
05-21-2016, 06:09 PM
I went back to Don's book to find out what Joe said to Don when he called Joe after he got fired. Joe didn't say anything to say don't call me again.

The only reason I can think of as to why Joe and Don never worked together is Joe probably didn't want to make Don and Glenn mad. I could be wrong, but that kinda makes sense now. Since the Eagles are no more and Glenn is gone, Don thinks Joe can now work with him. He has nobody to tell him he can't work with him. I don't know. Maybe it was Joe's decision to not talk or work with Don after he got fired so he won't make Don and Glenn mad. I don't know if he feels that way today.

I know Don said he hopes to work with Joe again, but has Joe ever said that he wants to work with Don again?

Not to my knowledge but I suspect that if he did he would feel he was being disrespectful to Glenn.

Felder should move on & find other people to work with. 'Those days are gone forever; he should just let 'em go'. When he talks like this he comes across as very sad, clinging to the past.

travlnman2
05-21-2016, 09:51 PM
IMHO the only thing I feel that Felder deserves to be a part of is the KCH. Anything that's a tribute to Glenn he should stay away from.

chaim
05-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Felder, - whatever some fans may think of him ( he sometimes seems like a big act to me - but maybe it's not, who knows) is one of the greatest melodic rock guitarists of all time and highly respected musically by his peers. His subtlety, precise sound elevate the songs to higher levels. It's ok to bash him for his book, depiction of Frey/Henley (some may argue that it was within his rights) his ego etc. But I don't think there's any merit to lowering his genius on the guitar and contributions to the band.

Personally I've seen more people (sometimes even Felder himself) exaggerate his contributions than minimize them. Not around here, but on YouTube etc. (IMO there are people who genuinely think that the Eagles were musically nothing without Felder, and then there are people who have learned to think that way. And these people can't tell Glenn from Felder - you can see it for example when they praise Felder's lead guitar parts in the studio version of ICTYW and compare it to Steuart's playing etc. I'm not saying that I can always tell Glenn from Felder, but I don't pretend I do.)

Funk 50
05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
I was shocked when I heard the announcement that Felder had been sacked from the Eagles. It was clear that the Eagles wouldn't continue with him involved. I'm sure Joe and Tim were happy that the Eagles continued.

Felder's response to the sacking has caused much anger to me. He's definitely and intentionally brought his former band into disrepute. All the Eagles have every right to be hurt and angered by Felder's actions.

I'm pretty sure that all Walsh and Felder's combined efforts are Eagles based. Joe's 1975 live album was a project to see if they could work together on stage. It's no coincidence that Glenn and Don are also involved. Felder's involvement with But Seriously Folks! was probably from time the Eagles were in the studio making The Long Run, as was the co-writes from Joe's later albums. Don Felder's album Airborne contains a few tracks that were worked on during The Long Run sessions. Felder openly says that Bad Girls has a duel guitar part played by him and Joe. He doesn't explain why Joe's part isn't on the official release.

Joe had a successful career before the Eagles. He's now working on a post Eagles career. His loyalty to the Eagles means he's very unlikely to work with Felder again.

Maybe we'll learn more when Joe's book comes out but I'll be quite disappointed if it muck rakes even in Felder's case.

Incidentally, I love Waddy Wachtel. His rockin' credentials are stellar. I love his, play anything that rocks, covers band. I've spent several hours checking out the YouTube links; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DK1FHxWYjk . Wish I was there! :rockguitar:

chaim
05-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Having said all that above, I can see why Don F may feel sad because he can't work with Joe. Joe was in a difficult position. But then again Don wasn't exactly kind to Joe either when he discussed his sacking in the book. I wonder if he has tried to apologize Joe at some point.

shunlvswx
05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Having said all that above, I can see why Don F may feel sad because he can't work with Joe. Joe was in a difficult position. But then again Don wasn't exactly kind to Joe either when he discussed his sacking in the book. I wonder if he has tried to apologize Joe at some point.

Yep. In the book, I felt like Don had this you owe me attitude with Joe when he called him. I took your rehab, I took care of your daughter, etc etc. I would think you would side with me with everything I've done for you these last few years after you go sober. Joe didn't owe Don nothing. He may had drove Joe to rehab, but it was Don and Glenn that helped him get sober. He wanted to be the Eagles and he got sober so he can be part of the band.

Don is trying so hard to make mends with the surviving Eagles. Since Glenn is gone, he couldn't make mends with him. Now he's focusing on the one person he wants to work with now there's nothing his way. Joe.

UndertheWire
05-22-2016, 09:51 AM
I doubt Felder has any expectations of playing with Joe again, but if a journalist asks him, what is he going to say? Of course he'd like to play with Joe!

Joe's smart and he has to know how playing with Felder would look (Frey was the problem and now he's gone, we can go back to being best buddies etc) and my guess is he wouldn't want that out of loyalty to Glenn.

While I can see the advantages for Felder, I don't see many for Joe. Joe could probably team up with any number of famous musicians and create more excitement by playing something new, whereas with Felder they would be expected to play Eagles songs.

chaim
05-22-2016, 09:57 AM
I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but I just don't understand....Several people have suggested that Joe wants to stay loyal to Glenn and that's why he won't pay with Don F. What does it have to do with Glenn? I can understand if Glenn didn't want an Eagles member to work with Don F when the band was working, but I don't understand why Glenn would personally mind too much if Joe played with Don when the Eagles are not together.

UndertheWire
05-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Toni, I see your point. I know that bassist Wade Biery now plays in Don's band and previously played with Glenn and was in favour enough to be at Glenn's memorial in some capacity.

What I was thinking was that there would be nasty comments implying that Glenn prevented Joe from playing with Don while he was alive and now Joe was free.

We'll just have to wait and see.

chaim
05-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Toni, I see your point. I know that bassist Wade Biery now plays in Don's band and previously played with Glenn and was in favour enough to be at Glenn's memorial in some capacity.

What I was thinking was that there would be nasty comments implying that Glenn prevented Joe from playing with Don while he was alive and now Joe was free.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Ah, I get that. Yeah. Never thought of it that way.

travlnman2
05-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Right now it is Henley's and Glenn's family decision to make amends with Felder because if ANY of the guy's decide to make amends without the okay from Cindy it will open even more wounds. As much as I love Felder this is his doing because he thought only about himself and not about the band. I think in 2001 it was a very hard decision to get rid of him. They most likely thought "Should we keep Felder and risk breaking up again? Or should we remove a member who is a huge part of our sound and legacy FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE BAND?" The choose to get rid of him and as you can tell by Glenn's body language in the doc was a hard decision but it was necessary to ensure the band continued. Ultimately I would have done the same thing. It was a smart move.

What do you guys think?

UndertheWire
05-22-2016, 06:09 PM
It's up to the individuals to make up their own minds. If Joe wants to play with Don Felder, he should but he's given no hint of such a wish in the last 15 years.

Freypower
05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Right now it is Henley's and Glenn's family decision to make amends with Felder because if ANY of the guy's decide to make amends without the okay from Cindy it will open even more wounds. As much as I love Felder this is his doing because he thought only about himself and not about the band. I think in 2001 it was a very hard decision to get rid of him. They most likely thought "Should we keep Felder and risk breaking up again? Or should we remove a member who is a huge part of our sound and legacy FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE BAND?" The choose to get rid of him and as you can tell by Glenn's body language in the doc was a hard decision but it was necessary to ensure the band continued. Ultimately I would have done the same thing. It was a smart move.

What do you guys think?

I don't think Glenn's family will make amends with Felder. However I think the last thing Cindy would care about now is hearing that Henley etc were in contact with him because her loss rather outweighs anything like this. But he caused too much damage. If he hadn't written his book & given so many interviews where he trashed Glenn & to a lesser extent Henley, perhaps they could have reached out.

In my view his behaviour at the time of the Grammy tribute meant that he forever ruined any chance of a reconciiation.

As for whether the firing was the correct decision, that is another topic, but my predictable answer is yes, of course it was. I would go further. After they reformed & had done the HFO tour, they wanted to go back & make an album. With his incessant complaints & demand to see the financial records, he stopped them from doing so. He probably should have been fired the minute the tour ended, or he should have been read the riot act. Who knows - we could have had two more Eagles albums, not one.

travlnman2
05-22-2016, 08:41 PM
I don't think Glenn's family will make amends with Felder. However I think the last thing Cindy would care about now is hearing that Henley etc were in contact with him because her loss rather outweighs anything like this. But he caused too much damage. If he hadn't written his book & given so many interviews where he trashed Glenn & to a lesser extent Henley, perhaps they could have reached out.

In my view his behaviour at the time of the Grammy tribute meant that he forever ruined any chance of a reconciiation.

As for whether the firing was the correct decision, that is another topic, but my predictable answer is yes, of course it was. I would go further. After they reformed & had done the HFO tour, they wanted to go back & make an album. With his incessant complaints & demand to see the financial records, he stopped them from doing so. He probably should have been fired the minute the tour ended, or he should have been read the riot act. Who knows - we could have had two more Eagles albums, not one.

I agree with everything you said, Who knows maybe hell will freeze over again. People thought Axl Rose and Slash would never work together again but they are right now. To me wounds and emotions are still fresh. One Day At A Time.

When I saw Joe at Mohegan Sun last October he had a picture of him and Felder in a slide show during Life's Been Good.

WalshFan88
05-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Joe could probably team up with any number of famous musicians and create more excitement by playing something new, whereas with Felder they would be expected to play Eagles songs.

Maybe I'm just a fuddy duddy but I'd rather hear them play old Eagles songs. I'm not much a fan of most modern music and I love the 70s stuff the most and to me, that's what I want(ed) to hear when I saw the Eagles or see the guys solo. There's nothing wrong with just wanting to hear those old songs. I think it would be great to have them play them. Not calling themselves the Eagles, but something else. But I'd rather hear them play those songs than new material. YMMV. I happen to prefer classic rock music and not much of new rock n' roll out today. I'm more a fan of modern country music in that regard, it's closer to the classic rock sound than modern rock is and even sometimes new records by old acts. There's nothing wrong with making new music, but I'd hate to see them not play Eagles material. I prefer that and their old solo stuff (70s/80s) over any of the guys modern solo work present or future and LROOE for that matter. I realize I'm in the minority here.

And I should specify that I'm talking about any of the guys solo or together and not just Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

As far as JW and DF, I don't see it happening, nor do I see him doing anything with DH or TBS either. I think that ship has sailed.

Funk 50
05-23-2016, 08:49 AM
If I saw The Eagles live in 1976 or 1977, I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't play any new material.

Now the Eagles are no more, Felder may re-brand his Evening At The Hotel California as something with the word "Eagles" on the ticket.

With Don (H), Tim and Joe focusing on solo ventures, it's looks like Don Felder and a host of tribute acts will be responsible for carrying on the legacy of the Eagles. :-?

UndertheWire
05-23-2016, 09:38 AM
I like a show to have a mix of classics, new material and some interesting covers, with a bit of talk in between songs to explain how they came about. Felder's current setlist is too heavy on big Eagles hits. While I'd like to hear him play Those Shoes and Hotel California, I don't see how he brings anything to Peaceful Easy Feeling or Tequila Sunrise that a good tribute band couldn't do better. Far better to hear him covering a guitar classic or playing his own songs.

glennthegreat
05-23-2016, 12:19 PM
We will never know for sure what the problems were, because we were not there, but Bill Szymczyk was.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=916

Pretty cool interview about his work with the band - "They hated each other" he says. Not just Henley/Frey vs. Felder, but everyone hated everyone.

He also says this about Felder's book:

Bill: Other people that have read his book, which was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much. People would read that book and tell me, “You’re the only one in that book that doesn’t come off like a shit head.”

And I agree, they're all shit heads in that book, including the writer.

Where Frey could have maybe/possibly makeup with Felder, Cindy the wife may never, because all she knows are the bad stuff. She does not have any positive memories of Felder.

Could she have the legal powers to stop all the others from working with Felder?

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 12:46 PM
We don't know what Glenn left to Cindy when it comes control or anything to do with the Eagles, but I think everything that has anything to do with the Eagles is probably under Don's control (and MAYBE Irving too) even though they are no more.

Does she have the power to stop them? That we don't know. And Don probably doesn't care who Timothy and Joe works with now. But you never know. Timothy and Joe might want to work with Don Felder again, but that's a very big "I Doubt It" and no chance in heck especially if they still hold bad feeling for Don Felder.

IMO For Joe. I think it was out of respect of Glenn and Don (probably also not want to make them mad or get in the middle of something) as to probably why Joe and even Timothy never worked with Don again after he was fired in 2001. Like someone said, we don't know if the guys would had broken up again if they kept Don in the band. The Eagles have been through a lot of personnel changes over the years and they never stopped(well except this time because they lost an important member who couldn't be replaced) because they know they can replace those people.

travlnman2
05-23-2016, 02:56 PM
About that interview

Randy Meisner was not even in the band anymore.

Bill: He made the mistake of pouring a beer over Glenn’s head one night. I was not there, as they were on the road, but I heard about it later. It was the end for him.

Wrong Guy

Freypower
05-23-2016, 06:53 PM
If I saw The Eagles live in 1976 or 1977, I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't play any new material.

Now the Eagles are no more, Felder may re-brand his Evening At The Hotel California as something with the word "Eagles" on the ticket.

With Don (H), Tim and Joe focusing on solo ventures, it's looks like Don Felder and a host of tribute acts will be responsible for carrying on the legacy of the Eagles. :-?

I doubt he would be allowed to use the word Eagles - by Don & Irving. I fail to see how Cindy Frey could wield any influence over these events unless her husband's own name is misused.

I will say this once more & not mention it again - if Felder had any self respect at all he would leave the Terminal of Tribute To (thanks Mark Knopfler, unwieldy title though it is) and make an attempt to be remembered on his own terms, just as Steve Hackett (and indeed Knopfler) has done. We all know that his act is not to honour Glenn but to remind people he was in the band. Well, he can do that, but surely he could expand on it.

Freypower
05-23-2016, 06:54 PM
About that interview

Randy Meisner was not even in the band anymore.

Bill: He made the mistake of pouring a beer over Glenn’s head one night. I was not there, as they were on the road, but I heard about it later. It was the end for him.

Wrong Guy

It was Bernie who poured the beer over Glenn, not Randy. You are thinking of the later incident when Randy refused to sing TITTL & he & Glenn got into a fight.

chaim
05-24-2016, 05:55 AM
It was Bernie who poured the beer over Glenn, not Randy. You are thinking of the later incident when Randy refused to sing TITTL & he & Glenn got into a fight.

It did say "wrong guy" at the end of the post.

travlnman2
05-24-2016, 12:28 PM
I don't know if this means anything but did you guys notice that the time period of when felder was in the band. In about 90% of the photoshoots Feldter,Glenn and Don were almost groupoed closer then Bernie Randy Timmothy and Joe were? Also with exceptions most of the time Felder was always on to the immdieate left of Glenn?.

GlennLover
05-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Interview in which Don was asked about his past relationship with Glenn & Don H and whether things will change because of Glenn's passing: http://wpdh.com/the-eagles-don-felder-opens-up-about-glenn-frey-don-henley/

Tiffanny Twisted
05-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Heard he was going to be at sugarhouse casino in philly this holiday weekend

UndertheWire
05-27-2016, 02:04 AM
"celebration of Glenn's passing" ? Poor Don, he always gets it wrong as far as I'm concerned.

chaim
05-27-2016, 02:24 AM
Felder wrote the music for "One of these nights"? Is it the darn bassline again? :brickwall:

And still media people never get tired of discussing how the Eagles guys should contact Felder and Felder never gets tired of answering the same questions about it. "Woooow, those guys are horrible. Woooow, you mean they don't answer your calls? Wooooow, how can they do this to you? Wooow, you wrote their biggest hit! Woooow, you were their sound. Wooooow....". Felder could be making new music and talking about it instead of letting the interviewers bash his ex-bandmates over and over again and adding more fuel to the fire.

Felder's recent "forgive, but never forget" comment on his Facebook page showed that he still sees himself as the innocent victim. But we've discussed this many times before...

GlennLover
05-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Felder wrote the music for "One of these nights"? Is it the darn bassline again? :brickwall:

And still media people never get tired of discussing how the Eagles guys should contact Felder and Felder never gets tired of answering the same questions about it. "Woooow, those guys are horrible. Woooow, you mean they don't answer your calls? Wooooow, how can they do this to you? Wooow, you wrote their biggest hit! Woooow, you were their sound. Wooooow....". Felder could be making new music and talking about it instead of letting the interviewers bash his ex-bandmates over and over again and adding more fuel to the fire.

Felder's recent "forgive, but never forget" comment on his Facebook page showed that he still sees himself as the innocent victim. But we've discussed this many times before...

I agree with you on all points, chaim.

travlnman2
05-27-2016, 07:35 AM

::applause::applause::cheers:

chaim
05-27-2016, 08:47 AM
I was angry and frustrated when I wrote my last comment. I had just listened to the interview clip. In a way I'm like the people I criticize. They discuss it over and over again, and I complain about it over and over again. :-)

UndertheWire
05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm the same. I listened to that interview clip in the hope of a new spin but it was the same old story and I felt like whinging about it.

Possibly his inappropiate twitter and facebook comments about not being invited to take part in the tribute at the Grammys were because he was feeling sore after getting the brush-off from Azoff.

Freypower
05-27-2016, 07:14 PM
I was angry and frustrated when I wrote my last comment. I had just listened to the interview clip. In a way I'm like the people I criticize. They discuss it over and over again, and I complain about it over and over again. :-)

But you're right to complain. I refused to listen to it. I particularly agree with you that this man should be attempting to make new music.

Because I didn't listen, I can only assume by 'celebration' he meant celebration of Glenn himself, not of his death. If he does mean the latter than he's being honest, I guess, which makes all the stuff he said at the time even more empty. It is also high time he left the subject alone.

travlnman2
05-27-2016, 07:33 PM
But you're right to complain. I refused to listen to it. I particularly agree with you that this man should be attempting to make new music.

Because I didn't listen, I can only assume by 'celebration' he meant celebration of Glenn himself, not of his death. If he does mean the latter than he's being honest, I guess, which makes all the stuff he said at the time even more empty. It is also high time he left the subject alone.

More and More I dislike Felder my opinon of him did a complete 180 as did my opinon of Glenn and Don but Glenn and Don were postive from negative but Felder was Postive and Negative. He should keep his mouth shut and not go public everytime he is not included. He should let Henley reach out to him because Don is not going to reach out if Felder keeps acting like an angry ex wife.

chaim
05-28-2016, 03:07 AM

If you didn't listen to it...I must specify that it wasn't Felder who said he "wrote the music for such hits as 'Hotel California,' 'Victim of Love', 'One of These Nights' and many other Eagles classics". It was just another journalist who didn't bother to check the facts. As for the "celebration", I think he said something like "sort of a celebration of Glenn's passing", which was just a poor choice of words.

I got a bit carried away with my previous post, because I was so angry, but I do think it's wrong that once again the Glenn (Grammy) tribute was about Felder.

Funk 50
05-28-2016, 08:31 AM
http://wpdh.com/the-eagles-don-felder-opens-up-about-glenn-frey-don-henley/?trackback=tsmclip

It speaks volumes that 101.5 WPDH chose to edit, an obviously longer interview, down to the 1:51m section relevant to Glenn, Don and Irving.

When he was in the Eagles, Don Felder was, by a distance, the most anonymous of an already pretty inconspicuous bunch of guys. That's why Glenn used to talk him up so much. Felder's fame or, I'd argue notoriety, is down to his sacking, litigation and book. Until he does something musical to top that, he's still a trash celeb at best.

Now Glenn's gone, maybe Don could adopt Joe's/Glenn's "Plaintiff" joke. It's just a matter of which song, from his set list, he introduces with it. He's certainly got plenty to choose from.

If Felder ever runs into Joe and suggests that they meet up for lunch, I hope Don will hear his "crickets" again, unless, of course he makes a humble, genuine and heartfelt apology for all the irreparable damage he's caused to his former band ie. his well worn and current first class, meal-ticket.

That little interchange between Don and Irving should end Don's regular "only their lawyers" reply to his questions about reaching out to his former band mates. Unsurprisingly he still used it. :-?

I wonder if Don complained about the "Don Felder is currently touring with a new group of musicians, playing the songs he and The Eagles made together in much happier times" line. He keeps telling us that he's so happy and content now that he's no longer in the band. :-?

WalshFan88
05-28-2016, 07:24 PM
I wonder if Don complained about the "Don Felder is currently touring with a new group of musicians, playing the songs he and The Eagles made together in much happier times" line. He keeps telling us that he's so happy and content now that he's no longer in the band. :-?

I think they meant when the Eagles were much happier, and him. I believe Don is pretty happy and looks to be quite content.

Freypower
05-28-2016, 09:55 PM
http://wpdh.com/the-eagles-don-felder-opens-up-about-glenn-frey-don-henley/?trackback=tsmclip

It speaks volumes that 101.5 WPDH chose to edit, an obviously longer interview, down to the 1:51m section relevant to Glenn, Don and Irving.

When he was in the Eagles, Don Felder was, by a distance, the most anonymous of an already pretty inconspicuous bunch of guys. That's why Glenn used to talk him up so much. Felder's fame or, I'd argue notoriety, is down to his sacking, litigation and book. Until he does something musical to top that, he's still a trash celeb at best.

Now Glenn's gone, maybe Don could adopt Joe's/Glenn's "Plaintiff" joke. It's just a matter of which song, from his set list, he introduces with it. He's certainly got plenty to choose from.

If Felder ever runs into Joe and suggests that they meet up for lunch, I hope Don will hear his "crickets" again, unless, of course he makes a humble, genuine and heartfelt apology for all the irreparable damage he's caused to his former band ie. his well worn and current first class, meal-ticket.

That little interchange between Don and Irving should end Don's regular "only their lawyers" reply to his questions about reaching out to his former band mates. Unsurprisingly he still used it. :-?

Yeah.

I forced myself to listen to the segment in the interests of making sure I had the context right (HA)!

Why, instead of going on with the 'I TRIED to reach out' stuff didn't he take a second to say something about Glenn. Instead he leaves it hanging in the air that everything was Glenn's fault.

And as for Don Henley perhaps he has had more on his mind than 'ooh, now I MUST get back in touch with Don Felder'.

He should have said 'pay tribute to Glenn' instead of 'a sort of celebration of Glenn's passing'. No matter what he meant, the words in that format are now there. And it is still all about him. How sad this is.

Austin, if the guy is so happy & content he should learn to forget this stuff.

sodascouts
05-29-2016, 01:16 AM
The first part we've all heard before (I've reached out but I just get their lawyers etc) but I transcribed the second half if anyone wants to be spared actually listening to it.

Interviewer: Since Glenn Frey's passed away, has Don Henley reached out? <snip>

DF: If he has, my phone ringer must be broken, because I haven't heard the phone ring. [laughs] And I actually ran into Irving Azoff a few days before that Grammy kind of celebration of Glenn's passing where they were getting together to play, and I didn't even know they were doing that. I ran into Irving and said, "Hey, my deepest condolences about Glenn and let's get together and have lunch and you know, just chat, catch up..." Complete silence. Crickets. So... I don't think they really have any desire to at this point. Whether that may change, I don't know. You know, leopards don't easily change their spots, I guess.

sodascouts
05-29-2016, 01:20 AM
If Don Felder believes comments like that will hasten a reconciliation between himself and any of the remaining Eagles (not just Don H), then he is completely clueless.

UndertheWire
05-29-2016, 04:17 AM
It looks worse transcribed. As it's a predictable question, I'm surprised he - or his publicist - hadn't worked out a better answer.

chaim
05-29-2016, 04:22 AM
It looks worse transcribed. As it's a predictable question, I'm surprised he - or his publicist - hadn't worked out a better answer.

IMO he should at this point tell the interviewers beforehand "no questions about my current relationship with the Eagles". The subject really is getting that old. People say that Don Henley should move on (in other words reach out to Felder), but it's the journalists - and to a lesser extent Don F himself - who desperately cling to this issue in almost every interview.

(And whoever still insists that Felder never intended to badmouth Frey & Henley in the first place - "just telling the facts" - needs only to check out the Henley & Frey pictures Felder chose for his book.)

05-29-2016, 11:40 AM
I agree with most of these comments. If Felder were truly happy and content, he would choose to move on and refuse to answer any questions about the Eagles or comment about them on social media. Unfortunately, his soured relationship with the band is what keeps a lot of folks interested in him. Too bad, but it seem his firing will become his legacy rather than any contributions he made to the band. However, IMO, he has only himself to blame.

chaim
05-29-2016, 11:54 AM
I agree with most of these comments. If Felder were truly happy and content, he would choose to move on and refuse to answer any questions about the Eagles or comment about them on social media. Unfortunately, his soured relationship with the band is what keeps a lot of folks interested in him. Too bad, but it seem his firing will become his legacy rather than any contributions he made to the band. However, IMO, he has only himself to blame.

Very sad if true. At the same it seems like he's on a quest to talk about his contributions to the Eagles. And a lot of people seem to "defend" his contributions like they have been questioned. It's weird, because as far as I know Glenn and Don H never tried to minimize Felder's contributions in public. On the contrary I've seen Glenn praise him a few times. I think it was very wrong to rearrange the names in the Hotel California credits, but other than that I still have no idea where this widespread "they never acknowledged Felder's contributions" attitude came from.

(Anyway, I can't think of many ex-members of a famous band who have dedicated so much of their time for so many years to discussing their own contributions to their former band with countless interviewers. It shouldn't be that important - after all they are bands.)

travlnman2
05-29-2016, 02:34 PM
The only postive thing he has said was in his recent Q and A. I asked him how he was doing and if he had any contact witht the band members(just to see if they had actually mended but it was a long shot and these interviews make me like him less and less.)
Here is what he said.

Thanks Many have wanted to know how I am feeling after Glenns passing which caught me completely off gaurd.Glenn was the youngest guy in the band and the most tanleted imo. I have kinda learned to accept it and move on because I know we are all going to be in heavens band one day.

If he keeps talking like he did my opinon would be higher.

On The Hotel California writing credit. Maybe the reason he is always saying he wrote the solo etc is because for so many years people only knew about Joe and his parts and no one talked about Felders role

chaim
05-29-2016, 03:05 PM
The only postive thing he has said was in his recent Q and A. I asked him how he was doing and if he had any contact witht the band members(just to see if they had actually mended but it was a long shot and these interviews make me like him less and less.)
Here is what he said.

Thanks Many have wanted to know how I am feeling after Glenns passing which caught me completely off gaurd.Glenn was the youngest guy in the band and the most tanleted imo. I have kinda learned to accept it and move on because I know we are all going to be in heavens band one day.

If he keeps talking like he did my opinon would be higher.

On The Hotel California writing credit. Maybe the reason he is always saying he wrote the solo etc is because for so many years people only knew about Joe and his parts and no one talked about Felders role

Don really said that? There has never been a slightest hint that he thinks so.

shunlvswx
05-29-2016, 03:10 PM
I remembered that question. He really didn't answer the part about if he has been in touch with the guys since Glenn's death. So it looks like the only person he bumped into was Irving and its understandable for Irving to give Don the cold shoulder since Don sued him too.

travlnman2
05-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Don really said that? There has never been a slightest hint that he thinks so.

Yes he actually said that. There is an app where he hosted the q and a called fandate I think you can watch the replay

travlnman2
05-29-2016, 03:17 PM
I remembered that question. He really didn't answer the part about if he has been in touch with the guys since Glenn's death. So it looks like the only person he bumped into was Irving and its understandable for Irving to give Don the cold shoulder since Don sued him too.

That was mine

WalshFan88
05-29-2016, 06:45 PM
I think he's full of himself at times, but I think he's truly happy. Maybe he doesn't show it via keeping quiet, but I think he's happier than people would give him credit for. But his mouth gets him in trouble and there are times (like the whole Grammy tribute thing) I, as a fan, would wish he'd just keep it to himself. It paints him in a bad light, which is his doing.

Funk 50
05-30-2016, 05:18 AM
I've been very critical of Mr Felder, since the turn of the Century (Millennium) but I approve of his reluctance to censor interviewers and readiness to give honest replies rather than carefully constructed responses to minimize controversy. He'd probably get more Eagles fans attending his solo shows if he spoke more positively about the band.

Don has Eagles based product to promote, so it's no surprise to me that he maximizes his Eagles credentials to an annoying level. I can also see why his name was temporarily relegated in the Hotel California writing credits. He was no longer in the band. I'm happy they've reinstalled him as primary writer though.

Now Glenn has died and the Eagles are no more, I wonder if Don (F) will temper his criticism and show a little more respect for their legacy. They are all ex-Eagles now, there is no huge corporation for him to rile against.

There is still time for Don to realise his mistakes and repent, and the death of someone close can be a catalyst but I'd want more that being a little more savvy when responding to questions about the Eagles. I reckon the rest of the band do too.

UndertheWire
05-30-2016, 05:30 AM
Like most of us, he'll be happy some times and less happy when he remembers the bad times. Maybe all he needs is training in handling the media and how to get the right message out. When he does this kind of press, his aim is let the public know he has a great show coming soon at a venue near them whereas what the media wants is dirt on the Eagles.

I'm surprised by his comment about Glenn during the Q&A but he's not alone in holding back the praise until Glenn's death.

On that line, maybe Don needs encouragement to be more than an Eagles tribute act. That's the safe option but even if his show was only 50% Eagles, that might satisfy the audience.

Annoying Twit
05-30-2016, 05:34 AM

Seems to be the bassline: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dJpmlFiM1UYC&pg=PA132&lpg=PA132&dq=one+of+these+nights+bassline+written&source=bl&ots=8CyjsG6Hev&sig=LZQDp7w9LNQkvhELz06GvW2Wwso&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNku2kvYHNAhVCC8AKHXdyDV8Q6AEIODAE#v=on epage&q=one%20of%20these%20nights%20bassline%20written&f=false

The bassline is part of arrangement, not songwriting unless it's a fundamental part of the song. It's a recognisable intro, but I don't think it's indispensible. It would be the same song without it.

It's very common for people whose role in a band is arranging songs to feel that they deserve more credit for songwriting.

If Eagles were splitting income equally back then, would that have included the songwriting royalties? From what I've read, I would think so.

UndertheWire
05-30-2016, 06:15 AM
If Eagles were splitting income equally back then, would that have included the songwriting royalties? From what I've read, I would think so.
Originally they split songwriting royalties but that changed, probably around the time Felder joined. Going by liner notes, for the first three albums. all the Eagles songs are "Kicking Bear" which I assume was band publishing, for the next two, no publishing is given and on The Long Run, they each have their own publishing (eg Cass County, Red Cloud). If you can find the publishing credits for the One of These Nights album, you might be able to confirm.

travlnman2
05-30-2016, 12:15 PM
This the only thing I agree with Felder on. He has every right to be for the lack of a better term ticked off on being fired. I mean who wouldn't be mad about being fired from a job they supposedly loved and been apart off for so long. Everything else I disagree with.

WalshFan88
05-30-2016, 05:01 PM
On that line, maybe Don needs encouragement to be more than an Eagles tribute act. That's the safe option but even if his show was only 50% Eagles, that might satisfy the audience.

I have two differing opinions on this.

1 - I more than anything would love him to real put his nose to the grindstone and write some more music AND play it live.

But 2 - And I don't want to sound cold here, but now that the Eagles are no more I want to still be able to hear a lot of those songs any chance I get with any of the guys solo, including Felder. Maybe he should do less of the pre-On The Border ones, but I still like to hear those songs being played by a guy who was in the Eagles, regardless if he was on the record or not as he played them perfectly live so many times. I also realize that it is weird for him to do songs he didn't record on, but it's an Eagles song and I'll take it lol.

-----

It's a hard choice but I'd be content with him playing all of the songs he played a part in with the band, and save some space for more solo material past, present, and future. Whether it's 50/50 or 75 (Eagles) and 25 (solo). I wouldn't be happy with 75 (solo) and 25 (Eagles) though, I have to be honest.

But I'd hate to see any of the guys solo and only hear one or two Eagles songs. I would be disappointed, I know I would. Heck I saw the LROOE tour and they played all my favorites but one and I was STILL slightly disappointed. Only on the HOTE tour were all of my favorites played.

But when it comes down to it, I'm more a fan of 70s rock music (I have to say I prefer it to any of their solo work), but I'd give any and all new music a chance with me as I have for every solo record.

Freypower
05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
This the only thing I agree with Felder on. He has every right to be for the lack of a better term ticked off on being fired. I mean who wouldn't be mad about being fired from a job they supposedly loved and been apart off for so long. Everything else I disagree with.

Yes, but to still carry such a huge grudge over it, 15 years later, seems a pointless waste of time. He has never tried to examine WHY he was fired. He just thinks everyone else was to blame.

I have to say I found the story of him 'running into' Irving hard to believe. Where? How? And then the seemingly callous, unconcerned way he quoted himself basically saying 'hey Irving. Shame about Glenn. What about ME'?

You can hear Eagles songs any time you like, sung by most of the people who actually sang them, as opposed to sung by a tribute act who, according to another thread, doesn't even sing live. For me it doesn't matter, as I will never hear any of these songs live ever again.

Annoying Twit
05-30-2016, 06:12 PM
I don't claim to have any particular power to read the minds of people I've never met.

But, professionally, being a member of Eagles has been Don F's career highlight. I wonder if he'd prefer to have been a more central part of it. Being paid less would have emphasised that he wasn't. Being fired even more so.

Not many ex-band members get to come back with something bigger and better. (Maybe Richard Barbieri of Japan, and later Porcupine Tree, might have done that.) It's not just a matter of whether he worked hard. No matter how hard someone works and how talented people are, only a few tens of people or hundreds at most out of the billions of people in the world get to be part of a band as big as Eagles.

It's a bit late now, but I wonder if there couldn't have been a Felder-Meisner-Leadon-Souther-Tempchin band. Maybe too many cooks, but there wouldn't have been a shortage of talent. And wasn't a band with multiple singer/songwriters been what Eagles was supposed to have been in the first place?

WalshFan88
05-30-2016, 06:16 PM
You can hear Eagles songs any time you like, sung by most of the people who actually sang them, as opposed to sung by a tribute act who, according to another thread, doesn't even sing live. For me it doesn't matter, as I will never hear any of these songs live ever again.

I don't believe for a second Don uses tracks or autotune. The only time I've heard him use tracks is when he plays by himself on TV shows.

I mean, look, the guy isn't so smart when it comes to how he comes across and he can be an egocentric ass sometimes but I have to give credit where it's due. The man can sing. As good as Glenn or Don, no. But he can sing on pitch. Now if you listen to the music coming out of LA now - that is autotuned. Which is why my favorite music today is coming out of Nashville.

Freypower
05-30-2016, 07:12 PM
I don't claim to have any particular power to read the minds of people I've never met.

But, professionally, being a member of Eagles has been Don F's career highlight. I wonder if he'd prefer to have been a more central part of it. Being paid less would have emphasised that he wasn't. Being fired even more so.

Not many ex-band members get to come back with something bigger and better. (Maybe Richard Barbieri of Japan, and later Porcupine Tree, might have done that.) It's not just a matter of whether he worked hard. No matter how hard someone works and how talented people are, only a few tens of people or hundreds at most out of the billions of people in the world get to be part of a band as big as Eagles.

It's a bit late now, but I wonder if there couldn't have been a Felder-Meisner-Leadon-Souther-Tempchin band. Maybe too many cooks, but there wouldn't have been a shortage of talent. And wasn't a band with multiple singer/songwriters been what Eagles was supposed to have been in the first place?

Of course it was his career highlight, but he never attempted to build on it, whereas, for example, Paul McCartney, who was in the biggest band of all time, did. Peter Gabriel & Phil Collins did. Mark Knopfler did. Whether or not their solo music is better is another question. At least they tried. At least they made an effort.

The lineup you suggest might have worked on record but not live because - none of those people, Meisner included, are frontmen in the sense Frey & Henley (and Walsh) were. In that lineup, Felder would still only have been a guitar player, not a singer or songwriter.

chaim
05-30-2016, 09:45 PM
I don't believe for a second Don uses tracks or autotune. The only time I've heard him use tracks is when he plays by himself on TV shows.

I mean, look, the guy isn't so smart when it comes to how he comes across and he can be an egocentric ass sometimes but I have to give credit where it's due. The man can sing. As good as Glenn or Don, no. But he can sing on pitch. Now if you listen to the music coming out of LA now - that is autotuned. Which is why my favorite music today is coming out of Nashville.

I'm not saying he has used a pre-recorded vocal track throughout his solo career, but IMO you only have to compare performances from different nights to see that he has for the past year or two. His vocal performances are INDENTICAL every night. And if Felder doesn't use a pre-recorded vocal track, he's the only singer I know of who can produce words/melodies without actually singing them. He misses the word "'cos" on Peaceful Easy Feeling often, but still we hear it. Unless there's someone else in the band with a similar voice singing throughout the song.

There are a lot of people on YouTube who have pointed this out too. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty to other people that he's lip syncing because I don't know (no one who works for him has confirmed it). And I don't actually want anyone to just believe me without checking it out him/herself. But personally I believe so until something tells me otherwise.

Funk 50
05-31-2016, 06:07 AM
I don't believe for a second Don uses tracks or autotune. The only time I've heard him use tracks is when he plays by himself on TV shows. .

Despite you not believing it for a second, the second half of the sentence confirms that Felder is comfortable using prerecorded tracks when he performs live. Why wouldn't he use them for his vocals?

He's pitch perfect but you wouldn't have him leading a choir.

UndertheWire
05-31-2016, 07:34 AM
Take Souther and Tempchin out of the list as they were always much closer to Frey and Henley and that association has been financially rewarding for both of them.

Didn't Leadon and Meisner work together briefly during the 80s? I don't believe Felder had any contact with Leadon and Meisner from the time they left until after the reunion, based on his book and interviews with Leadon and Meisner. However, Felder did try to put together a group with Walsh and Schmit during the break.

Annoying Twit
05-31-2016, 08:21 AM
Take Souther and Tempchin out of the list as they were always much closer to Frey and Henley and that association has been financially rewarding for both of them.

Didn't Leadon and Meisner work together briefly during the 80s? I don't believe Felder had any contact with Leadon and Meisner from the time they left until after the reunion, based on his book and interviews with Leadon and Meisner. However, Felder did try to put together a group with Walsh and Schmit during the break.

Yeah, I can see the closeness to Frey & Henley, and (@Freypower) I can see the problem of a lack of a natural frontman. However, I like discussing possibilities.

I had a look and couldn't see Leadon/Meisner work, but Randy has done and awful lot and there could easily be something not covered on Wiki etc.

WalshFan88
05-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Despite you not believing it for a second, the second half of the sentence confirms that Felder is comfortable using prerecorded tracks when he performs live. Why wouldn't he use them for his vocals?

He's pitch perfect but you wouldn't have him leading a choir.

I disagree on both points.

I think he's a far better singer than people around here give him credit for.

The only time he's used tracks that I've heard is on TV appearances because he didn't have a band behind him. It was him and an acoustic guitar. He used a drum track and harmony vocals to fill it out. That makes perfect since and even the best of singer/guitarist would need something to keep rhythm and fill in harmony vocals in a solo performance of something that was done in a band context.