PDA

View Full Version : Eagles.... 3.0

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

New Kid In Town
04-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Dawn - Me either........
As talented as Jackson, Bob Seger,Vince and the others are I would not consider it "historic". I would also not consider it "historic" for Deacon to play with them. Many a kid had played in their parents bands. And, Deacon seems quite talented from video clips I have seen. I wonder if he also plays piano.

Annoying Twit
04-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Regarding the phantom new additions to the band I can't think of any person or thing that I'd personally consider "historic/al"

I'm open to suggestions though or should I say speculation since that's pretty much all one can do short of offering to buy a few vowels to advance the ball further down the field. :doh:

Obama. That would be historic. (And not impossible; he sings very well.)

New Kid In Town
04-26-2017, 02:04 PM
AT - LMAO !

buffyfan145
04-26-2017, 05:16 PM
The first thing I thought of when I saw Mick said "historical" was using some kind of new tech that would allow for them to still use Glenn's voice or like the holograms that have been used before for other artists, but I highly doubt that's the case.

New Kid In Town
04-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Buffyfan - Funny you should say that because people are saying the same thing on FB.

Freypower
04-26-2017, 06:22 PM
I kinda missed Randy when during the HFO tour but I still enjoyed several shows immensely. I even missed Felder a little but the alternative was no Eagles so I enjoyed those shows too. The large backing band and horn section were issues too, still good shows. Until I see it myself, I can't make a judgement about Glenn's absence.

Surely anybody who's really upset by Glenn's absence will not attend the concerts. Music fans seem to be more upset about the cost and lack of single day tickets that the validity of the line ups on the bill.

I'll be disappointed if somebody or something unannounced plays a major role in the show. That's unfair to the ticket buyers. Whatever it is, Mick Fleetwood approves. When did he become an Eagles fan?.

After almost 50 years on the road you've got to trust Don, Joe and Tim to put on a good show.

I think there are plenty of 'music fans' who are upset with the absence of Glenn Frey.

We already know how you feel about Glenn's absence. I don't know why you are even attempting to pretend you haven't already made up your mind.

Funk 50
04-27-2017, 05:53 AM
Obama. That would be historic. (And not impossible; he sings very well.)

What about Obama plus Don's pal, Bill Clinton. Great shout AT.

I expect them to play the hits but an up tempo, anti Trump anthem such as Nobody Else In The World But You may sneak in :partytime:

Annoying Twit
04-27-2017, 06:28 AM
As a PS: I didn't expect my comment of 'Obama' to be taken as a joke. It was just meant to be an example of what it would take to make Mick's comment of 'historic' to be true. I don't object to people LOL'ing over it, but just wanted to make my original thoughts a bit clearer.

Speaking personally I would prefer to see guest stars giving tribute to Glenn to some sort of technological inclusion of Glenn for more than one song. One song would, I think, be good. But, not too many songs or a large part of the concert.

Dawn
04-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Just curious if there is a way to ascertain how many total tickets have been sold and whether the high priced VIP packages have sold out at both venues?

Dawn
04-27-2017, 09:08 PM
I'd pay NOT to see that.

:hilarious:

New Kid In Town
04-27-2017, 09:59 PM
Go on to the East/West venue site. Click on buy tickets and it will show the tickets still for sale. You must do each site separately. Last I checked a couple of days ago there was still plenty of tickets for the East site.

Dawn
04-28-2017, 12:34 AM
Go on to the East/West venue site. Click on buy tickets and it will show the tickets still for sale. You must do each site separately. Last I checked a couple of days ago there was still plenty of tickets for the East site.

Hi NKIT, very kind of you to help me out, thanks!

I'll start with VIP packages first to go at DT 2016 I think.

:computer:

Funk 50
04-28-2017, 05:09 AM
As a PS: I didn't expect my comment of 'Obama' to be taken as a joke. It was just meant to be an example of what it would take to make Mick's comment of 'historic' to be true. I don't object to people LOL'ing over it, but just wanted to make my original thoughts a bit clearer.

Speaking personally I would prefer to see guest stars giving tribute to Glenn to some sort of technological inclusion of Glenn for more than one song. One song would, I think, be good. But, not too many songs or a large part of the concert.

Without Glenn, I feel the band are short of a lead singer. I don't think the guests will be there to specifically pay tribute to Glenn but to provide a 4th lead vocalist.

Annoying Twit
04-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Without Glenn, I feel the band are short of a lead singer. I don't think the guests will be there to specifically pay tribute to Glenn but to provide a 4th lead vocalist.

Only they're trying to approximate the same Eagles that they were before Glenn's passing. They may or may not do that. Myself, I'd prefer that they don't, but casual fans may expect EAGLES writ in bold. Having three lead vocalists is still quite a high number for a band.

As before, we'll see what happens on the day.

StephUK
04-28-2017, 10:35 PM
I've read what Don, Joe & Timothy said about these shows, but still feel sad about it, especially as they're not ruling out the possibility of there being more in the future.
You may accuse me of being emotional rather than logical, and yes, I do feel emotional about this. My Eagles, whose music I've loved for so long, will always include Glenn. End of.

p.s. I guess they'll have the supporting musicians, as they've had in the past, which means Will Hollis may be involved. If so, then I do so wish he wasn't.

Annoying Twit
05-03-2017, 08:53 AM
@StephUK

I think it's entirely reasonable for you to feel how you like about the shows. And it's completely up to you to attend or not attend shows entirely on your own volition.

The only time logic comes into it is if there is a claim that objectively (rather than subjectively) what the surviving Eagles is doing is 'bad' or otherwise 'wrong', there are claims as to the exact motivations of the surviving Eagles, or there are claims such as they shouldn't play under the name Eagles. Those are objective statements which are up for dicussion.

You haven't done any of those, as far as my reading of your post goes. E.g. you say 'My Eagles contain Glenn' which is different from saying 'A band cannot be Eagles without Glenn'.

Just speaking for myself: I can't see anything in your post that I would disagree with. Because you make it clear that these are your personal feelings. And everyone is allowed to have their own personal feelings.

Freypower
05-03-2017, 06:14 PM
@StephUK

I think it's entirely reasonable for you to feel how you like about the shows. And it's completely up to you to attend or not attend shows entirely on your own volition.

The only time logic comes into it is if there is a claim that objectively (rather than subjectively) what the surviving Eagles is doing is 'bad' or otherwise 'wrong', there are claims as to the exact motivations of the surviving Eagles, or there are claims such as they shouldn't play under the name Eagles. Those are objective statements which are up for dicussion.

You haven't done any of those, as far as my reading of your post goes. E.g. you say 'My Eagles contain Glenn' which is different from saying 'A band cannot be Eagles without Glenn'.

Just speaking for myself: I can't see anything in your post that I would disagree with. Because you make it clear that these are your personal feelings. And everyone is allowed to have their own personal feelings.

So if you say the band cannot be Eagles without Glenn that is an 'objective' statement which must be challenged?

Well here you are then: the band cannot be called 'Eagles' without Glenn in my personal opinion. That is what I have said ALL ALONG.

sodascouts
05-03-2017, 06:19 PM
I guess things were getting a little too quiet in this thread so we were provided with some implied criticism to get us riled up again. Looks like it worked.

Freypower
05-03-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry Soda, I will leave it, but I object to being told that those of us who are against this are being illogical or emotional.

Dawn
05-03-2017, 07:38 PM
"... I object to being told that those of us who are against this are being illogical or emotional.

I second that emotion.

Dawn

New Kid In Town
05-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Ditto.....
I have nothing against Don, Joe and Tim touring together. I just feel, in MHO, it is wrong to tour and call themselves "Eagles" when the founding member, who was the co-lead singer/songwriter is deceased.
Sadly, this could not happen if it was reversed because Don had become the "voice" of the Eagles and sang most of their songs from 1976 onward.

Freypower
05-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Ditto.....
I have nothing against Don, Joe and Tim touring together. I just feel, in MHO, it is wrong to tour and call themselves "Eagles" when the founding member, who was the co-lead singer/songwriter is deceased.
Sadly, this could not happen if it was reversed because Don had become the "voice" of the Eagles and sang most of their songs from 1976 onward.

I beg to differ. I think it could have happened. Regardless of the number of lead vocals on the albums, Glenn and Don had a fairly even number of leads in the live shows. Also Don was not the 'voice' of the Eagles on the rapidly fading from memory Long Road Out Of Eden album.

The real difference is that I think Glenn would never have considered the idea.

Brooke
05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
These threads just usually make me mad, so I try to stay out. Trying to figure out why I came in just now!

Everyone knows how I feel about it. Why should we continue to go over it again and again?

BillBailey1976
05-11-2017, 01:41 PM
I beg to differ. I think it could have happened. Regardless of the number of lead vocals on the albums, Glenn and Don had a fairly even number of leads in the live shows. Also Don was not the 'voice' of the Eagles on the rapidly fading from memory Long Road Out Of Eden album.

The real difference is that I think Glenn would never have considered the idea.

You are right. I did a quick tabulation, based in great part of the Set Lists available from EOC.
While Don typically had 11 or 12 leads, and Glenn had between 8 and 10, Glenn actually sang more Eagles songs than Don. In all the tours beginning with HFO, and excluding History, Don sang 3-4 solo songs while Glenn typically would only do 1 or maybe 2.
Using HFO for an example Don had 7 Eagles Leads, while Glenn had 6 or 7 depending on whether they'd dropped TGFY and added SB.

So yes, live, they essentially sang the same number of Eagles tunes.

Almost without fail it was
Don= 11 or 12
Glenn=8-10
Joe= 6
Tim = 2

The exceptions being that Joe lost a lead on History to Bernie, and Tim gained one on LROE.

Don's high number leads came on LROE & the Millenium Tour with 12, and Glenn's came on F1 with 10.

sodascouts
05-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks for taking the time to add those up.

Funk 50
05-12-2017, 01:38 PM
You are right. I did a quick tabulation, based in great part of the Set Lists available from EOC.
While Don typically had 11 or 12 leads, and Glenn had between 8 and 10, Glenn actually sang more Eagles songs than Don. In all the tours beginning with HFO, and excluding History, Don sang 3-4 solo songs while Glenn typically would only do 1 or maybe 2.
Using HFO for an example Don had 7 Eagles Leads, while Glenn had 6 or 7 depending on whether they'd dropped TGFY and added SB.

So yes, live, they essentially sang the same number of Eagles tunes.

Almost without fail it was
Don= 11 or 12
Glenn=8-10
Joe= 6
Tim = 2

The exceptions being that Joe lost a lead on History to Bernie, and Tim gained one on LROE.

Don's high number leads came on LROE & the Millenium Tour with 12, and Glenn's came on F1 with 10.

Glenn and Joe have played shows together so you can get a fair idea of what kind of set list, a non Henley, Eagles set list would look like. Closing with Glenn singing Desperado.

The second set and encore from the history Of The Eagles show is a good basis for the Classic East / West set list.
It maybe a little lacking in pace at the start but there is still regular set list occupants, Witchy Woman, One Of These Nights, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, Dirty Laundry and The Boys Of Summer too add. A track or two from Long Road Out Of Eden could also make the list. I hope they do It's Your World Now. It's the track that Henley flagged up when the album was released. The Eagles home page features it too and imho it's always a good policy to perform a track you haven't played before. It's the obvious tribute to Glenn for me.

HOTE Tour Second Set

1 Pretty Maids All in a Row
2 I Can't Tell You Why
3 New Kid in Town
4 Love Will Keep Us Alive
5 Heartache Tonight
6 Those Shoes
7 In the City
8 Life's Been Good
9 The Long Run
10 Funk #49
11 Life in the Fast Lane

Encores:
12 Hotel California
13 Take It Easy
14 Rocky Mountain Way
15 Desperado

BillBailey1976
05-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Do you think Tim will get an additional song or 2 to take lead on. He could do "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore"...that would bring in LROE and spread the vocals out more...Plus there's songs like "Red Dirt Road" from his solo stuff, or even the Poco song "Keep On Tryin" that the Eagles did at the end, at least in the Long Beach shows.

BillBailey1976
05-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Here's what I think works well....IF they don't have anyone do any of Glenn's songs, which I'm Still not sure how would work.
I know Tim does, or has done "Peaceful Easy Feeling" solo, and does a pretty good job.
Also, assuming Bernie is back..I think he'll do one, but probably not "Train Leaves...."

Don= 12 leads
Joe = 7
Tim = 4
Bernie = 1

Hotel California
Victim Of Love
My Man
Help Me Through The Night
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
Walk Away
Witchy Woman
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
One of These Nights
---Int----
Pretty Maids All In A Row
Keep On Tryin
Those Shoes
In the City
Boys of Summer
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Dirty Laundry
Funk #49
Life In the Fast Lane
----------
Life's Been Good
Sad Cafe
Rocky Mountain Way
-----------
Seven Bridges Road
Desperado

Dawn
05-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Yes thanks for the info this is interesting data and suggestions for set lists.

Of course, I don't care how many times Henley claims Glenn Frey is irreplaceable if he really believed that he would not have resurrected the band after 14 months with the addition of two STILL UNNAMED new hires and be co-headlining a mega concert as the Eagles.

BillBailey1976
05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
I'll tell you what the exercise of creating a set list did.....It made me realize just HOW important Glenn was to the group. If anyone doubts that, sit down and come up with a set list, but exclude Glenn's leads. It's hard to do. I bet I went through half a dozen changes just to come up with that list.
And even at that, I had to give Tim more leads than he's EVER done with the group...and still I'm a couple songs shorter than the typical Eagles setlist.

BillBailey1976
05-12-2017, 04:04 PM
I actually have an idea that I think most people could get on board with.
I'd like to see the guys tour as just themselves.
Tim-Open the show, do 15 minutes of his solo stuff
Joe-30 minutes of Classic Walsh
Henley - 45 minutes of pure Golden Throat.

Come out as an encore...together
Do 60 minutes of Eagles Classic Hits

Best of Both Worlds. Those amazing talents singing the songs they made famous, honoring the "Eagles" but still doing their own thing.

EagleInKansas
05-12-2017, 04:07 PM
I've made a few mock set lists with some Glenn songs being done by the singers who have done them in their own shows -- Already Gone by Don (goes way back) PEF by Timothy and TITTL by Joe. Doesn't account for Take it Easy, Heartache Tonight or Lyin' Eyes, which are glaring omissions from any Eagles show, or New Kid In Town, which they have done without in the past.

I think Bernie, if involved, sings at least two leads. My Man is a given and I think they would revisit Train Leaves Here This Morning just to break the monotony of Don and Joe. I don't see a viable third song for Bernie. Twenty-One would be fun but probably not selected because the lyrics have passed the Eagles by. Timothy could sing Keep On Tryin' or I Don't Want to Hear Anymore or Do Something. Or maybe, as a real darkhorse, A Good Day, which was originally pitched as an Eagles song.

Also will be interesting to see if Don chooses any deeper cuts to sing, like Sad Cafe or Learn To Be Still. Doubtful, but why not? This is the beginning of them, individually and collectively, riding off into the sunset. They should play the songs they want to play.

New Kid In Town
05-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Dawn - Agree with you completely. As I have said before, I have no objection with Don, Joe and Tim touring together. I just feel they should not be calling themselves "Eagles" when one of the two of the founding members of the band is gone.......:cry:
BB - I like your set list for the three of them performing together. I would certainly go see them with a set list like that. Of course, they would not fill huge stadiums but could certainly sell out smaller venues.

BillBailey1976
05-12-2017, 08:53 PM
i agree. I think they'd have no problem filling up basketball arenas..14-18 thousand, but probably not Giants Stadium

New Kid In Town
05-13-2017, 09:45 AM
BB - Def not Giants Stadium(Now Met Life though everyone still calls it Giants Stadium). It holds 80,000 people. I think more like a 10-12 thousand venue unless they have other acts to draw in more people.

tequila mockingbird
05-15-2017, 06:05 PM
On a Dallas radio show Don Henley just confirmed that Deacon Frey will be joining the band for the Classic East/West shows. "Official" announcement in a few days. Said one more musician will be joining them, but won't reveal yet.

Delilah
05-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Thanks for that Tequila Mockingbird. Do you remember which station it was? My guess is the other musician is Bob Seger, although I hope that doesn't rule out Bernie as part of it as well.

buffyfan145
05-15-2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks Tequila for posting. I agree besides Deacon I'm thinking the other is Bob and would hope Bernie is a part as well.

tequila mockingbird
05-15-2017, 09:54 PM
For what it's worth, Vince Gill has tour dates listed right up until 6/30...and then there's a pregnant pause...with dates resuming 11/29. Hmmm, interesting.

Seger's official site just says, "Stay tuned..." on the tour page with no dates listed. So, there's that.

Jackson Browne, whom I feel is the least likely of the three, has a show scheduled in MD on 7/15...which is the first night of Classic West.

Dawn
05-15-2017, 11:12 PM
No surprise about Deacon.

As for the other addition/s guess they are going to draw this out a little while longer which is just plain ridiculous. I mean ... Come On ... how much time do they need to prepare a formal/official announcement?

UndertheWire
05-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Don also said that he saw the Classic shows as an experiment and he repeated that including Deacon was the only way he could think of doing it.

Dawn
05-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks UTW

It's plain ridiculous Henley revealed HALF of the band's new lineup but I suppose even Don Henley has to jump thru hoops.

sodascouts
05-16-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm not surprised. It's the only way Don could do this without feeling like a hypocritical "greedy"and "desperate" jerk, considering his earlier comment.

I'm not trying to be cynical. I'm sure this was necessary for Don's own peace of mind. It is not just an emotionally manipulative move designed to minimize criticism from fans and the press. I truly believe Don is being genuine.

So, here's the logic: the new incarnation of "Eagles" are legit since one of the musicians they've added is Glenn's son.

It makes sense emotionally but in no other way. I must say that Don, Joe, Tim, and Azoff must be thanking their lucky stars that Glenn's eldest son can sing and play the guitar, and even looks like his dad. The only thing more fortuitous would have been a twin brother.

I guess the other "mystery" guy is doing the rest of the heavy lifting. He'll either be a recognizable name to draw in crowds, or Stu Smith to reward him for being a band member in all but name since the firing of Felder. The latter would be more fair but the former is more likely, I think.

Well, I wish them success.

They're not the Eagles anymore in my mind, though. There is no Eagles without Glenn.

This is nothing against Deacon. Glenn introduced me to Deacon when he was 14. I even saw him play with his dad a few times. He was a nice kid - polite, friendly. He obviously wanted to emulate his father, and it was sweet; he does have talent. I just assumed he would do his own thing, maybe form his own band, make his own music.

Well, maybe he can do that in a few years after the "Eagles" finish touring; at this point, it seems the Eagles will only come to an end when Don Henley is physically incapable of standing onstage and singing on-key, and not a day before. (Even the inability to stand onstage might not end the Eagles; he could still appear onstage and remain seated in order to play more shows. A roadie could hold his arm to steady him as he hobbles out to his stool.) Anyway, when the "Eagles" do finally limp to an end, Deacon will be able to play solo shows and bill himself as a former Eagle. Funny the turns life takes.

I don't want to diss Deacon. I'll acknowledge this on the site somehow. I just have to figure out how.

L101
05-16-2017, 01:05 PM
I don't want to diss Deacon. I'll acknowledge this on the site somehow. I just have to figure out how.

You don't want to diss Deacon but its OK to diss Don ?? Well, thats fine I suppose, as Don is a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!

Am I right in that description ? That seems to be the general opinion of most of the so-called Eagles fans on here. Even though I stopped posting a while ago, I still follow the comments and the nastiness against Don is getting worse - especially from certain people, who still feel they have to bully non-Glenn fans into agreeing with them.

Nothing Don or the rest of the Eagles do from now on is ever going to be right in the eyes of some people here - but at least have the decency to allow others their point of view - life within the Eagles has to go on whether you like it or not!

chaim
05-16-2017, 01:14 PM
It's always interesting when people feel they can say who is a fan of an artist/band and who is not. I have stayed away from the "should they or should they not" debate and I don't mind them doing something, but personally the Eagles are over for me. In that light...just curious, which of the following categories do I fall into?

a) an Eagles fan, b) a so-called Eagles fan, c) a Frey fanatic, d) something else?

L101
05-16-2017, 01:16 PM
It's always interesting when people feel they can say who is a fan of an artist/band and who is not. I have stayed away from the "should they or should they not" debate, but personally the Eagles are over for me. Just curious, which of the following categories do I fall into?

a) an Eagles fan, b) a so-called Eagles fan, c) a Frey fanatic, d) something else?

Probably all of them :grin: I usually stay away from that debate as well, but sometimes enough is enough!!

chaim
05-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Probably all of them :grin: I usually stay away from that debate as well, but sometimes enough is enough!!

:rockguitar:

sodascouts
05-16-2017, 01:20 PM
You don't want to diss Deacon but its OK to diss Don ?? Well, thats fine I suppose, as Don is a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!

Am I right in that description ?

You accidentally deleted the following part of my post when you quoted me - I can only assume you didn't see it:

I'm not trying to be cynical. I'm sure this was necessary for Don's own peace of mind. It is not just an emotionally manipulative move designed to minimize criticism from fans and the press. I truly believe Don is being genuine.

Perhaps this answers your question.

L101
05-16-2017, 01:22 PM
You accidentally deleted this part of my post when you quoted me - I can only assume you didn't see it:

Perhaps this answers your question.

I did see it but I still think you were dissing Don even though you might not have meant it that way - that's how it came across :shrug:

UndertheWire
05-16-2017, 01:42 PM
A few weeks ago, I decided I'd try to be positive about it all and it seems to have worked. I feel much happier about it all and I've stopped worrying about what's "right".

I'll admit that I'm curious about the upcoming shows. I look forward to reading about the setlist and how it works (or doesn't). I'm not interested in attending but if there are video clips, I'll watch. Over the last few years, Glenn became my favourite Eagle and I expect to like the music less without him, no matter who they bring on.

I don't feel antagonistic towards Don. He's doing whatever works for him and the others in the band. I also believe that he means no disrespect of Glenn and sees this in part as a living memorial to Glenn.

Including Deacon makes for a good narrative. It gives him a chance to show some of what he can do and to honour his father. He gets to play in front of a large audience but with plenty of support. My guess is that many in the audience will enjoy seeing a young man on stage as it will be a reminder of earlier days.

sodascouts
05-16-2017, 01:42 PM
I did see it but I still think you were dissing Don even though you might not have meant it that way - that's how it came across :shrug:

I'm sorry it came across to you that way. My post was certainly highly critical of Don's choice, and it was snarky too, so I can see why you thought I was going after him.

It's just that your "translation" of my post was that I believe Don is "a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!" I do not believe that, which is why I feel I needed to address your post.

I said none of those things about Don. What I said was that I believe he was genuine in his statement that he feels it is the right thing to do to enlist Deacon. I meant that.

Please do not confuse my criticism of Don's choice to continue the Eagles with a personal attack.

I do not believe he is a bad person.

I do believe he is making a devastating mistake, one I cannot support, one I suspect he might regret someday.

L101, I know you are speaking from your heart and not from malice. You are a sweet person who feels very intensely about Don. I certainly understand that! I hope you do not truly believe that I am a "so-called fan" and a "bully." If you do believe that about me, I am sorry to hear it, because I respect you.

I do not expect you, or anyone else who supports this for that matter, to change their minds. I am simply expressing my opinion. Anyone who wishes to support this is free to do so without condemnation from me.

I just can't join in the celebrations.

New Kid In Town
05-16-2017, 01:43 PM
People on FB are guessing it will be Bob Seger. I just checked and it is still not sold out. Quite a few of the $950 - $750 tickets left as well as those going for $500 and up.

L101
05-16-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry it came across to you that way. My post was certainly highly critical of Don's choice, and it was snarky too, so I can see why you thought I was going after him.

It's just that your "translation" of my post was that I believe Don is "a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!" I do not believe that, which is why I feel I needed to address your post.

I said none of those things about Don. What I said was that I believe he was genuine in his statement that he feels it is the right thing to do to enlist Deacon. I meant that.

Please do not confuse my criticism of Don's choice to continue the Eagles with a personal attack.

I do believe he is making a devastating mistake, one I cannot support, one I suspect he might regret someday.

L101, I know you are speaking from your heart and not from malice. You are a sweet person who feels very intensely about Don. I certainly understand that! I hope you do not truly believe that I am a "so-called fan" and a "bully." If you do believe that about me, I am sorry to hear it, because I respect you.

I do not expect you, or anyone else who supports this for that matter, to change their minds. I am simply expressing my opinion. Anyone who wishes to support this is free to do so without condemnation from me.

Thank you for your response Soda - my post was not really directed at you but there are other members who try to force their opinion on others in a bullying way. That description of Don seems to be a general one of him in this and other threads which in my book is not acceptable.

I'm sorry that you can't enjoy the concerts but maybe some day you'll be able to look at videos of them.

Brooke
05-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Well, Deacon or someone else, it hasn't changed my opinion as to whether they should continue as the Eagles. I still feel they should quit. Whoever wants to go to these shows, have a good time. I'm just not interested in them without Glenn. I will be interested in hearing about it though.

I am interested in solo shows and think they should do it as long as they want to and can physically do it.

Funk 50
05-16-2017, 02:08 PM

devastating? It's as a couple of live shows that will very quickly become past Eagles history. I can't see anything bad happening as a consequence :shrug:

groupie2686
05-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Well, I called it...I thought it would be Deacon since this was announced. I agree with many of you that it's not the Eagles without Glenn...at least not for me. Having a Frey in the band doesn't make it the Eagles...any more than it would be The Beatles if Paul and Ringo got together with Dhani Harrison and Julian Lennon. I'd feel the same way if Henley went first and they were continuing on. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who is excited about this, though.

I have to admit that, despite my objection to this, I am curious to see what they sound like without Glenn. I saw a youtube video of Deacon performing with his dad some years ago and he didn't have a Glenn-like voice (if that makes sense). But that was years ago; he could sound different now. In my opinion, they won't sound as good now. You can always hear Glenn's voice in the harmony. For them to come close, I would think Bernie would be essential....Bernie's voice has a similar quality to Glenn's.

Delilah
05-16-2017, 02:46 PM
I don't think the purpose of having Deacon there is so he will sound like Glenn. I hope for his sake most fans won't expect him to be another Glenn. I saw a video of him singing Hotel California with his father. Then much later I saw another video clip when he was older and his voice had matured.

One such clip is linked in the following article. I think it's the one with Otis in the background, too.

“I’m not supposed to say that,” Henley replied when asked directly whether Frey would be involved in the shows. He then let the cat out of the bag: “Yeah, he is,” Henley said. “There’s going to be an official announcement in a few days but let’s just do it here. Glenn’s son Deacon is a very talented young man, and he seems to be up for the task. He’s enthusiastic about it and he’s been working real hard on it, and he’s gonna do it with us. I think that’s appropriate.”
my emphasis. Apparently this is something Deacon wants to do.

“I never planned on it coming out this way but it’s my responsibility to carry on this legacy and to keep these songs alive,” he said. “Apparently people still want to hear them. I thought we were done when Glenn passed away and I said as much, but I was in a state of shock at the time. But we have gotten a lot of messages from people all over the world from people who would like to see things continue.”
my emphasis. I said before that Don was in state of grief and shock when he first said the Eagles were over. That's why I don't think it's fair to hold him to those words.

"Don Henley: Glenn Frey’s Son Joining Eagles" Best Classic Bands May 16, 2017 (http://bestclassicbands.com/deacon-frey-joining-eagles-5-16-17/)

Dawn
05-16-2017, 03:01 PM
People on FB are guessing it will be Bob Seger. I just checked and it is still not sold out. Quite a few of the $950 - $750 tickets left as well as those going for $500 and up.

I really hope it's not Bob but agree he's a logical front runner.

Dawn
05-16-2017, 03:05 PM
This is starting to feel like a tribute band.

maryc2130
05-16-2017, 04:46 PM
I'd love to hear Deacon do PEF and maybe a few others of Glenn's, but it would be nice to see him do at least one or two different songs, not necessarily Eagles songs, that aren't Glenn's, but his own.

If I had to guess on the identity of the other performer, I'd guess Vince Gill, but I'm mostly thinking that because he shared vocals on a few songs with Don on Cass County, and Don seems very comfortable harmonizing with him. Probably Bob Seger is just as likely. I'm hoping Bernie will be involved but is just not being counted as a special guest because I'd love Bernie to be a part of it.

Dawn
05-16-2017, 05:32 PM
If it's all about the songs people still want to hear why can't Henley, TBS, JW and SS play and sing the songs themselves? Sure they won't sound the same but that's to be expected without Glenn Frey.

Freypower
05-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Am I right in that description ? That seems to be the general opinion of most of the so-called Eagles fans on here. Even though I stopped posting a while ago, I still follow the comments and the nastiness against Don is getting worse - especially from certain people, who still feel they have to bully non-Glenn fans into agreeing with them.

Nothing Don or the rest of the Eagles do from now on is ever going to be right in the eyes of some people here - but at least have the decency to allow others their point of view - life within the Eagles has to go on whether you like it or not!

No, it does not. There is no 'has to' about it. This did not 'have' to happen. I would love to know where all these world wide messages begging Henley to continue came from. Surely there would have been an equal number telling him that he should not continue.

I haven't seen any particular nastiness directed at Henley recently; certainly not from me. All I hoped was that he would stick to his word. He failed to do so. He is not immune from criticism. I do not agree that Frey fans (why don't you name names? What difference does it make?) have attempted to 'bully' anyone. All some of us hoped was that people would understand our objections. How is that 'bullying'? That is a very strong word. Allowing others their point of view works two ways. You are now doing what you accuse Frey fans of doing. I guess it is uncomfortable for you to be reminded of what this band used to be about. Frey fans are now being told we should, to coin a phrase, 'go quietly'. Our time is gone. That is why I have objected so strongly to some posts in the 3.0 thread.

As for the suggestion of Vince Gill as the other guest - forgive me for being utterly underwhelmed.

WalshFan88
05-16-2017, 11:54 PM

Very well said Soda.

Philh
05-17-2017, 03:59 AM
Rock History Music's take on Deacon playing with the band-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=tw&v=hUiFEiVF6pQ

L101
05-17-2017, 08:42 AM

Am I right in that description ? That seems to be the general opinion of most of the so-called Eagles fans on here. Even though I stopped posting a while ago, I still follow the comments and the nastiness against Don is getting worse - especially fèd%%¯ÿÿ€Tˆ±DH<*g›~wTú>d ªªy have to bully non-Glenn fans into agreeing with them.

No, it does not. There is no 'has to' about it. This did not 'have' to happen. I would love to know where all these world wide messages begging Henley to continue came from. Surely there would have been an equal number telling him that he should not continue.

I haven't seen any particular nastiness directed at Henley recently; certainly not from me. All I hoped was that he would stick to his word. He failed to do so. He is not immune from criticism. I do not agree that Frey fans (why don't you name names? What difference does it make?) have attempted to 'bully' anyone. All some of us hoped was that people would understand our objections. How is that 'bullying'? That is a very strong word. Allowing others their point of view works two ways. You are now doing what you accuse Frey fans of doing. I guess it is uncomfortable for you to be reminded of what this band used to be about. Frey fans are now being told we should, to coin a phrase, 'go quietly'. Our time is gone. That is why I have objected so strongly to some posts in the 3.0 thread.

As for the suggestion of Vince Gill as the other guest - forgive me for being utterly underwhelmed.

I wasn't going to reply to your post but I wanted to clarify a few points:
- Surprisingly enough, there are a lot of Eagles fans that exist outside of this border group and they seem to want the Eagles to continue on in some form. You don't agree with this, which is fine, but it seems like more fans want this to happen than for them to just completely down tools and stop.

- Why should I be uncomfortable to be reminded of what the band used to be about ? I'm not. Yes they are going ahead with this and it is extremely sad that Glenn is not here for it but I try to look to the future, not wallow in the past. I'm interested in what they will do and how they will sound.

- Of course Don H is not immune from criticism and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can see all sides of the argument and agree with most of them, but if you feel bullying is too strong a word, then how about making people feel like they are intimidated because they post an opinion that is different to yours ?

I have no desire to continue with this argument, so I'll just say, that when all this is over, I hope that some people might finally come to terms with Glenn's passing and look to the future, maybe even liking the Eagles again one day......

chaim
05-17-2017, 12:07 PM
[quote=Freypower;357955]

- Surprisingly enough, there are a lot of Eagles fans that exist outside of this border group and they seem to want the Eagles to continue on in some form. You don't agree with this, which is fine, but it seems like more fans want this to happen than for them to just completely down tools and stop.

- Why should I be uncomfortable to be reminded of what the band used to be about ? I'm not. Yes they are going ahead with this and it is extremely sad that Glenn is not here for it but I try to look to the future, not wallow in the past. I'm interested in what they will do and how they will sound.

- Of course Don H is not immune from criticism and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can see all sides of the argument and agree with most of them, but if you feel bullying is too strong a word, then how about making people feel like they are intimidated because they post an opinion that is different to yours ?

I have no desire to continue with this argument, so I'll just say, that when all this is over, I hope that some people might finally come to terms with Glenn's passing and look to the future, maybe even liking the Eagles again one day......

That's a fair statement, but one of the major things that drew me to the Eagles over twenty years ago - before I knew who he was or what he looked like - was the voice on songs like Tequila Sunrise and Outlaw Man. My father is a casual fan (meaning that the Eagles is one of his favorite bands, but he doesn't actively listen to them) who has said that although Don's voice is great, Glenn's voice is what makes it Eagles for him. What I'm getting at is...... IMO it's perfectly fine if some people will enjoy the band from now on and some people won't. At this point I have nothing against them continuing, but even if we chose to forget Glenn the person whom I'm a fan of today, the loss of that voice I initially fell in love with changes the band too much for me. Meaning that if one doesn't support the band anymore, it doesn't mean that there's anger, feelings of betrayal or any other negative stuff involved.

EDIT:

I'm replying to L101's post although for some reason it looks like I'm quoting Freypower.

Freypower
05-17-2017, 06:09 PM
[quote=Freypower;357955]

The word 'intimidated' is possibly even stronger than 'bullying' because it implies that people are scared. It implies that 'some people' (you mean me. Why not say so?) wish to shut down all arguments. That is not true.

This ''look to the future' stuff for me in this context is meaningless & irrelevant without Glenn Frey. Whatever the others chose to do now means absolutely nothing to me as a person. If that is 'wallowing in the past' because I would rather remember Frey than support this travesty, then that is what I am doing. I don't care if I am in a minority on this issue. I don't care how many fans supposedly want this to happen. As I have said from the start, I don't have to go along with it. I cannot agree that there is a band called 'Eagles' without Frey (see Toni's post below).

I do want to look to the future, but on a personal basis, for however long I may have (a reference to the state of my health). The fact is the Border is now associated with my past, not the future. I am easing myself out. I don't know when the final break will come, but it must for my own sake.

Dawn
05-17-2017, 07:52 PM
FP, please know that you are certainly not alone in feeling as you do. I feel very much the same way as do many of my Eagles fans friends and family. Your insight is valuable and much appreciated - I'm hoping you will continue to share your thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Allbest,

Dawn

GlennLover
05-17-2017, 10:57 PM
FP, please know that you are certainly not alone in feeling as you do. I feel very much the same way as do many of my Eagles fans friends and family. Your insight is valuable and much appreciated - I'm hoping you will continue to share your thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Allbest,

Dawn

This says for me as well!

Witchy Woman
05-18-2017, 01:04 AM
FP, I haven't always agreed with everything you've said, but I sure as hell respect your right to say it, and I happen to agree with you on this. The Eagles without Glenn makes about as much sense as The Eagles without Don. Which is none. Having said that, if anyone is going to honor Glenn by performing his songs Deacon is a perfect choice. I wish him well.

On a more personal note, I'm sorry to hear your health is poor, FP, and I send my best wishes to you. I hope you reconsider your decision to post here. I enjoy reading other's opinions, especially if they don't agree with me, or I them.

Philh
05-18-2017, 03:19 AM
New interview with Timothy including his thoughts on Deacon

http://bestclassicbands.com/timothy-b-schmit-interview-5-17-17/

sodascouts
05-18-2017, 10:22 AM
In that interview, Timothy calls Deacon and the mystery person "guests" rather than new members of the band.

I wonder which it is?

NightMistBlue
05-18-2017, 10:32 AM
They're going to need a real front man to lead the show. Glenn was the master of ceremonies at Eagles concerts. It doesn't seem like Henley could fill that role sitting behind a drumkit for most of the concert.

P.S. Thank you for the Timothy interview, Philh - that's good stuff.

eaglesfan
05-18-2017, 10:39 AM
I have a question for everybody who is upset about the Eagles reforming without Frey.

Presumably, nobody has a problem with any of the Eagles performing as solo artists, or even as part of other bands if that somehow happened.

I'm guessing too that nobody would have a problem with the members performing with one another, right? In other words, if Henley and Walsh were to perform together in a Henley/Walsh concert and they performed both solo and Eagles songs, that would be okay, correct?

And then what if they added Schmit to the mix as well..would that be okay?

And then if they decided that Deacon Frey is a talented kid who could perform some of his father's parts and he joined them, would that be okay?

I'm asking all this because it seems to me that what people actually object to is using the name the Eagles. My guess is that that is the issue...using the Eagles name. Not that they are performing together?

sodascouts
05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
I have a question for everybody who is upset about the Eagles reforming without Frey.

Presumably, nobody has a problem with any of the Eagles performing as solo artists, or even as part of other bands if that somehow happened.

I'm guessing too that nobody would have a problem with the members performing with one another, right? In other words, if Henley and Walsh were to perform together in a Henley/Walsh concert and they performed both solo and Eagles songs, that would be okay, correct?

And then what if they added Schmit to the mix as well..would that be okay?

And then if they decided that Deacon Frey is a talented kid who could perform some of his father's parts and he joined them, would that be okay?

I'm asking all this because it seems to me that what people actually object to is using the name the Eagles. My guess is that that is the issue...using the Eagles name. Not that they are performing together?

Speaking for myself, yes. The fundamental problem - indeed, for me, the only problem - is that they are calling themselves the Eagles.

It's more than just meaningless semantics. When they continue as the Eagles without him, they are saying that he's not essential to the Eagles. His loss does not mean they cannot continue. It simply means their line-up changes.

That is what I have a problem with.

eaglesfan
05-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Speaking for myself, yes. The fundamental problem - indeed, for me, the only problem - is that they are calling themselves the Eagles.

It's more than just meaningless semantics. When they continue as the Eagles without him they are saying that he's not essential to the Eagles. His loss does not mean they cannot continue. It simply means their line-up changes.

Got it. I mean, I understand the point, I really do. But I don't think that Henley or Walsh or Azoff think that Frey is unimportant to the band or anything, but for them to sell tickets they need to call themselves the Eagles. If they call themselves "Don Henley Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmit", then they probably don't really sell out arenas the way they will if they call themselves the Eagles.

And I get why some might feel that's not right. On the other hand, the Eagles, including Frey, have always been about business first and foremost.

sodascouts
05-18-2017, 11:15 AM
They're going to need a real front man to lead the show. Glenn was the master of ceremonies at Eagles concerts. It doesn't seem like Henley could fill that role sitting behind a drumkit for most of the concert.

I don't know about whomever they add to the band taking on the role of the new master of ceremonies, even Deacon. I can't visualize a new member introducing Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and Timothy B. Schmit to the crowd!

I don't think Don plans to be sitting behind that drumkit. He has had plenty of practice being a front man at solo shows, and Scott Crago can take on more of the drumming to allow him to become the new "Master of Ceremonies." I suspect that is what will happen.

P.S. Thank you for the Timothy interview, Philh - that's good stuff.Yes, thank you, Phil. Sorry I forgot to do so earlier.

New Kid In Town
05-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Eaglesfan - I agree with Soda. I object to Don, Joe and Tim calling themselves "Eagles" when one of the two founding members is no longer with us. Don can say all he wants about "Glenn is irreplaceable" but in fact that is what they plan to do if they start touring, which if you read between the lines that is apparently what they have planned. I can not speak for other on this board, but yes, I object to them calling themselves "Eagles". I have no objection with Don, Joe and Tim touring together performing Eagles songs. In fact, I would pay to see them perform together.

Soda, I could also see Don stepping forward to perform those duties. When I saw him he barely played the drums. He is the front man when he tours alone.

Phil - Thank you for the interview.

Dawn
05-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Don Henley insists that Glenn Frey is irreplaceable but judging by his actions it appears that is exactly what is transpiring under the banner name of the Eagles with "special guests".

Second, what's getting lost in the sauce is The Classic is widely considered to be Azoff's bicoastal response to last year's hugely successful/profitable Desert Trip which is no small endeavor. Exactly when, where and how this all came together is not likely to be publicized. Heck, we don't even know who the other mystery addition to the band's lineup is. :brickwall:

Brooke
05-18-2017, 02:09 PM

It's more than just meaningless semantics. When they continue as the Eagles without him they are saying that he's not essential to the Eagles. His loss does not mean they cannot continue. It simply means their line-up changes.

Yes, this is what I want to say and can't get out! Thank you!

Got it. I mean, I understand the point, I really do. But I don't think that Henley or Walsh or Azoff think that Frey is unimportant to the band or anything, but for them to sell tickets they need to call themselves the Eagles. If they call themselves "Don Henley Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmit", then they probably don't really sell out arenas the way they will if they call themselves the Eagles.

And I get why some might feel that's not right. On the other hand, the Eagles, including Frey, have always been about business first and foremost.

I think you are spot on here. "Show me the money" :wink:

Dawn
05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
The Eagles are billed as headliners with Fleetwood Mac.

No mention of Deacon or any other addition to the lineup.

sodascouts
05-18-2017, 03:33 PM

Another aspect to consider regarding the use of the Eagles moniker without Glenn: Eagles shows will no longer be of the same quality. Their sound will suffer; their sales will suffer.

I always got the impression Glenn wanted the band to go out on top...

... but this is the way the band will end. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Dawn
05-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Another aspect to consider regarding the use of the Eagles moniker without Glenn: Eagles shows will no longer be of the same quality. The music will suffer. Sales will suffer.

I always got the impression Glenn wanted the band to go out on top...

... but this is the way the band will end. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

I won't pretend it doesn't sadden me to believe it didn't have to end this way.

It also troubles me - I expected more from Don Henley and even Irving Azoff.

New Kid In Town
05-18-2017, 06:08 PM
I am not surprised about Irving. However, I am surprised regarding Don agreeing to this. While we here all know they were always about money, something tells me this would not be happening if Don had passed and not Glenn. I always thought Don cared just as much about the legacy of the band as did Glenn. I love Don, but I guess I was wrong.

Freypower
05-18-2017, 06:25 PM
FP, I haven't always agreed with everything you've said, but I sure as hell respect your right to say it, and I happen to agree with you on this. The Eagles without Glenn makes about as much sense as The Eagles without Don. Which is none. Having said that, if anyone is going to honor Glenn by performing his songs Deacon is a perfect choice. I wish him well.

On a more personal note, I'm sorry to hear your health is poor, FP, and I send my best wishes to you. I hope you reconsider your decision to post here. I enjoy reading other's opinions, especially if they don't agree with me, or I them.

Thank you WW. I just wish to clarify that if I leave it will not be because of any disagreements I have had with other members (and there have been plenty) but for my own well being.

Glennsallnighter
05-19-2017, 05:23 AM
Eaglesfan - I agree with Soda. I object to Don, Joe and Tim calling themselves "Eagles" when one of the two founding members is no longer with us. Don can say all he wants about "Glenn is irreplaceable" but in fact that is what they plan to do if they start touring, which if you read between the lines that is apparently what they have planned. I can not speak for other on this board, but yes, I object to them calling themselves "Eagles". I have no objection with Don, Joe and Tim touring together performing Eagles songs. In fact, I would pay to see them perform together.

Soda, I could also see Don stepping forward to perform those duties. When I saw him he barely played the drums. He is the front man when he tours alone.

Phil - Thank you for the interview.

Thats where my problem with it is too. I can see that there is still a market for the guys to tour, and I was very impressed with Henleys solo tour last year - pleasantly surprised. If they had even billed as something like 'Eagles featuring Deacon Frey' like Queen have done with Adam Lambert I would feel that Glenn :heart: still had a place in their thoughts. But he seems to have been locked out completely. I hope there is some appropriate tribute to him. maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised here too when I hear the reports - too pricey for me to attend

Funk 50
05-20-2017, 08:54 AM
I just got a vision then of the Eagles, at the back of the stage, counting off before Deacon struts on stage, Freddy Mercury style, to take ownership of the auditorium.:woah:

I don't know Adam Lambert. I presume that he's a big enough star to put bums on seats and for his name to be billed alongside Queen. That's not thecase for Deacon. I noticed in the vid clip with Joe, Deacon didn't have a mic.

Back in 1982, before they became huge, Genesis did a reunion show with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. It was a major music story. Not quite so well known was the official billing. They were billed as Six Of The Best for legal reasons but it was the Genesis reunion to everybody.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-peter-gabriel-reunites-with-genesis-in-1982-20150407

I don't think anybody doubts that Don, Tim and Joe will sell more tickets, and more expensive tickets, billed as Eagles. I'd prefer that they were billed differently as the tickets would be more affordable but then they may stop playing live because it's not lucrative enough.

Philh
05-20-2017, 02:24 PM
The Eagles are not the only band to carry on when a founding member dies.
The English band Status Quo are continuing to tour even though founding member since the 1960's Rick Parfitt died.

Freypower
05-20-2017, 06:32 PM
I just got a vision then of the Eagles, at the back of the stage, counting off before Deacon struts on stage, Freddy Mercury style, to take ownership of the auditorium.:woah:

I don't know Adam Lambert. I presume that he's a big enough star to put bums on seats and for his name to be billed alongside Queen. That's not thecase for Deacon. I noticed in the vid clip with Joe, Deacon didn't have a mic.

Back in 1982, before they became huge, Genesis did a reunion show with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. It was a major music story. Not quite so well known was the official billing. They were billed as Six Of The Best for legal reasons but it was the Genesis reunion to everybody.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-peter-gabriel-reunites-with-genesis-in-1982-20150407

I don't think anybody doubts that Don, Tim and Joe will sell more tickets, and more expensive tickets, billed as Eagles. I'd prefer that they were billed differently as the tickets would be more affordable but then they may stop playing live because it's not lucrative enough.

That footage of Deacon with Joe I can only assume was just him jamming, not 'rehearsing'. Contrary to the predictions of some here he did not appear on Joe's Tom Petty tour. I do agree that Deacon is not well known enough to justify the 'with' tag, although I would have preferred that rather than the billing they chose. I won't call them that; because they are no longer that band. I hope Deacon is given a reasonably decent chance to show what he can do; otherwise it is Henley & his backing band (especially if Henley doesn't even bother to play drums).

I fail to see how the Genesis reunion or how they were billed is relevant to this issue. All the major members of Genesis are still alive. Also I disagree that Genesis were not already 'huge' before that show.

Phil, I know Quo are continuing. There is a slight difference is that they were still playing when Parfitt became ill. They never announced they were quitting the way the Remnants had done. They never went back on their word.

Look, it doesn't matter what I say. I know that. :cry:

travlnman2
05-20-2017, 07:03 PM
For those who say the band is about money.

How dare the band want to make money playing THEIR material. How dare they want to support a family and the crew.

travlnman2
05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Just because a artist makes a few million on a show does mot mean they get to see it all. I can gaurentee that they dont spend the money on big houses after a tour. They got Taxes, Health Insuarnce, Expense, Bills to pay just like everyone else.

The band may make 100 million on a tour but they can most likely only see 1 million of that if possible.

WKMB55
05-20-2017, 11:09 PM
I find it interesting that a few have chosen to label the band that Glenn worked so hard to keep functioning after 1994 and spent so much time perfecting as---------"remnants". As though the use of that word will elicit some kind of anger or hurt or shock when others read the posts where it has been used. We're all just "remnants" of the generations of our families (biological or business) who have passed on before us.

Funk 50
05-21-2017, 07:11 AM
That's a nice sentiment WKMB55. The Circle Of Life.

I don't know how much money the Eagles make but they were regulars in the list of top earners when Glenn was alive so I imagine that is still the bracket that they are aiming for. I'm sure they'd expect to earn more than a million net.

The Status Quo story is unique to themselves. Before Rick Parfitt died they became two bands, a rock band and an acoustic band. The rock band has probably died with Rick although I don't think it would take hell freezing over for it to plug in again. A few lean years would probably do it.

Like the Eagles, I'd say Francis Rossi uses the Quo name as it is far more lucrative than using his own. I think they are one of the bands that have recruited a replacement from a tribute act.

Freypower
05-21-2017, 07:13 PM
I find it interesting that a few have chosen to label the band that Glenn worked so hard to keep functioning after 1994 and spent so much time perfecting as---------"remnants". As though the use of that word will elicit some kind of anger or hurt or shock when others read the posts where it has been used. We're all just "remnants" of the generations of our families (biological or business) who have passed on before us.

The word isn't meant to elicit anger. It was used first by Soda, the administrator of the board. It seems to me that if she used it, then I can. Without Glenn, it is an accurate description. The use of the word 'Eagles' to describe this entity is not appreciated by me now either, so it works both ways.

maryc2130
05-22-2017, 10:44 AM
It's interesting that although we saw the clip of Deacon jamming/rehearsing with Joe, he hasn't been on stage with him in any of his shows so far (to my knowledge, anyway). I wonder if he will appear with Joe and/or Don before the Classic East/West concerts? Those seems like such huge places for him to make his debut and get used to the crowds!

WalshFan88
05-23-2017, 12:48 AM
It's interesting that although we saw the clip of Deacon jamming/rehearsing with Joe, he hasn't been on stage with him in any of his shows so far (to my knowledge, anyway). I wonder if he will appear with Joe and/or Don before the Classic East/West concerts? Those seems like such huge places for him to make his debut and get used to the crowds!

I definitely think it was preparing him for East/West.

maryc2130
05-23-2017, 10:11 AM
I definitely think it was preparing him for East/West.

I do, too, but I wonder if they'll have him in front of an audience before East/West. Otherwise, it would have to be a pretty overwhelming experience for him!

NightMistBlue
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
How old is Deacon?

New Kid In Town
05-23-2017, 11:10 AM
NightMist - Someone here on the board said he just turned 24 in April.

maryc2130
05-23-2017, 12:28 PM
NightMist - Someone here on the board said he just turned 24 in April.

Wow, he's the same exact age (month and all) as my son. It would take a certain kind of a person to step into that level of "Eagles pressure cooker" at that age. But then, it's really a great opportunity. It's probably not something he wants to do long term, but what a fantastic introduction to the high-level concert scene and good way to make his name known, apart from his father's.

NightMistBlue
05-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Good heavens though, that's really jumping in at the deep end. I'm sure Deacon will do well, but I'd need beta blockers and someone standing nearby with a tranquilizer dart gun :)

Dawn
05-23-2017, 04:13 PM
i have been off the grid for awhile. Has the formal announcement about the identity of the other addition to the band happened yet?

Dawn
05-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Hmmm radio silence. Why in the world are they playing games with fans? They obviously know who it is they purposely leaked Deacon's name and held off on number 2 claiming an official announcemet would be coming in a few days. To say I'm disappointed that it's come to this is an understatement. In my mind there simply is no excuse for the unprofessionalism. Has either concert sold out yet or is that the issue?

NightMistBlue
05-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Hi Dawn, it's not sold out. There are some Platinum seats available in groups of 2 and 3, starting at almost $600. [referring to Classic West here; I didn't look up East]

New Kid In Town
05-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Dawn - As far as I know they have not made the announcement about the second person yet. When I checked on Monday the East Festival had not sold out yet.

Dawn
05-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks Nkit and NMB ... this is just the wierdest thing I'm trying to imagine what kind of scenario holding back like this could be viewed. Is the mystery 2nd person not fully committed? Is the fact the concerts arent sold out yet ( remember Desert Trip 2016 sold out in 3-5 hours) an issue? Since Im not going to either it does not make any difference but if I was going or considering going I'd want to know the lineup and end the annoyingly ridiculous speculation. Fans deserve better IMHO.

Dawn
05-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Hi Dawn, it's not sold out. There are some Platinum seats available in groups of 2 and 3, starting at almost $600. [referring to Classic West here; I didn't look up East]

Jeez that is not what I would have expected certainly not at this stage. As we get closer I wonder if people are waiting for rock bottom prices. Thanks NMB!

Dawn
05-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Dawn - As far as I know they have not made the announcement about the second person yet. When I checked on Monday the East Festival had not sold out yet.

Henley said a few days but I dont think he's running the show I think it's likely others are involved eg Azoff and even Mystery Guest his/herself.

Thanks! Appreciate the info!

New Kid In Town
05-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Dawn - Advertisement for the East/West Festival keeps coming up on my FB Page daily. A lot of people are leaving comments about the high price - ie: winning the lottery to afford the tickets. They are also leaving comments about the expense of a hotel for NYC or LA and travel expenses and saying it is not worth it. Some have left comments like: "No Steve Perry no Journey", Steely Dan and the others are not worth the price or they have seen them in concert before.

I think Irving is in charge here but I also think Don has a big say in all of this too. People seems to be going crazy trying to figure out who the other person is. I think it may be Bob Seger. JD has tour dates scheduled during one of the festival dates(sorry I can not remember which one). People are also speculating about Jackson too. Hope this helps. :)

New Kid In Town
05-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Dawn - Forgot to add that a lot of people have left comments that they do not like hours long stadium concerts. They all mention the chance of rain, severe heat and humidity in NYC on July 31st. I can't blame them, last summer was one of the hottest on record. There were days where it was 100 to 102 degrees with killer humidity. My sister and her husband saw Don last year right around that time and it was 102.

WKMB55
05-24-2017, 08:37 PM
I don't imagine that anything terrible will happen if Don, Joe and Timothy don't release the name(s) of the other guest(s) who might be joining them on stage. The element of surprise isn't necessarily a bad thing.

WalshFan88
05-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Hmmm radio silence. Why in the world are they playing games with fans? They obviously know who it is they purposely leaked Deacon's name and held off on number 2 claiming an official announcemet would be coming in a few days. To say I'm disappointed that it's come to this is an understatement. In my mind there simply is no excuse for the unprofessionalism. Has either concert sold out yet or is that the issue?

I agree...

I think IMO it hasn't sold out partially because I think more people realize than maybe was originally thought that Glenn is not there and wouldn't be the same. Granted there's FM and Journey and others, but people want to know what to expect from the "Eagles" (to use that term lightly) before they shell out the dough so to speak. I can't blame them, though I wouldn't be going anyway.

Dawn
05-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, I am genuinely perplexed and trying to make sense of why the concerts haven't sold out and what the point is in purposely not revealing the name of the other addition to the lineup. Do they actually believe keeping it a secret from consumers/fans is helpful? Why? Are the tickets too pricey and a lack of interest in the other bands causing people to stay away? One day passes are NOT available fans may have wanted that option which was available for Desert Trip 2016. I agree about the venue choices. The Indio Polo Grounds are more condusive to a festival kinda of atmosphere vs stadium seating. Perhaps that is an issue that should have been addressed. Fans may have figured out the Eagles without Glenn Frey isn't something they are willing to spend a small fortune on ... coupled with a lack of enthusiasm for the other bands. I am surprised about Fleetwood Mac not drawing bigger ticket sales.

Dawn
05-24-2017, 09:36 PM
I don't imagine that anything terrible will happen if Don, Joe and Timothy don't release the name(s) of the other guest(s) who might be joining them on stage. The element of surprise isn't necessarily a bad thing.

True, but what's the point they need to sell tickets.

Dawn
05-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Dawn - Advertisement for the East/West Festival keeps coming up on my FB Page daily. A lot of people are leaving comments about the high price - ie: winning the lottery to afford the tickets. They are also leaving comments about the expense of a hotel for NYC or LA and travel expenses and saying it is not worth it. Some have left comments like: "No Steve Perry no Journey", Steely Dan and the others are not worth the price or they have seen them in concert before.

I think Irving is in charge here but I also think Don has a big say in all of this too. People seems to be going crazy trying to figure out who the other person is. I think it may be Bob Seger. JD has tour dates scheduled during one of the festival dates(sorry I can not remember which one). People are also speculating about Jackson too. Hope this helps. :)

Yes, I agree. Don has to have a big say in all of this. I am not sure about Seger I can see him doing it on a one time guest artist basis not as an addition to the band's permanent lineup like I believe could happen with Deacon. The whole thing is bizarre. I am starting to believe this wasn't well thought out hence the experiment statement. Time will tell I certainly hope for the best where Deacon is concerned.

New Kid In Town
05-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Dawn - A lot of people are saying they have seen most if not all of the groups before. They seem to really not care for the setting from what they have posted. Also, a lot of people seem to not be big fans of Steely Dan and EWF, and do not think the price justifies seeing two bands they have seem before. Especially since both Glenn and Steve Perry are missing.

JMHO, but these bands all appeal to those over 40. By that time in most people's life they have been there done that with stadium concerts in their teens and 20's ( I know I have). A lot of people have stated they do not want to content with the crowds, weather and sitting for hours in a ball park. I also think the big thing is the expense. I live 1 hour 45 minutes (south) from Citi Field - with no traffic. I would have to probably pay for a hotel, which costs a fortune in NY. I know that my friends would not want to drive for almost two hours to get home after sitting in a hot stadium half the day. I also think not selling one day tickets as also hurt them.
I also wish the best for Deacon.

WalshFan88
05-24-2017, 10:08 PM
I am surprised about Fleetwood Mac not drawing bigger ticket sales.

I love FM and I love Journey, but as good as they are, they aren't going to have the same pull of Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones at Desert Trip...IMO.

Funk 50
05-25-2017, 04:51 AM
Thanks Nkit and NMB ... this is just the wierdest thing I'm trying to imagine what kind of scenario holding back like this could be viewed. Is the mystery 2nd person not fully committed? Is the fact the concerts arent sold out yet ( remember Desert Trip 2016 sold out in 3-5 hours) an issue? Since Im not going to either it does not make any difference but if I was going or considering going I'd want to know the lineup and end the annoyingly ridiculous speculation. Fans deserve better IMHO.

If the secret special guest has a show to sell in a venue close to either of the two Eagles concerts, he or she may have agreed that the Classic East / West announcement comes after they've sold a certain percentage of the tickets for their own show. I'm pretty sure that Deacon hasn't got any solo shows to sell.

I read a week or two ago that the Classic East / West shows were 4th and 5th top selling festivals this summer. Not bad considering the complaints about the prices, venues, bill and authenticity of the line ups.

StubHub's data also tabulated the most sought-after music festivals for this summer, with the CMA Music Festival topping the list. Bottle Rock and Lollapalooza rounded out the top three, with the Classic East and The Classic West rounding out the top 5.

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2017/05/u2-tops-stubhubs-hot-summer-concert-tickets-.html

sodascouts
05-25-2017, 10:07 PM
I am surprised about Fleetwood Mac not drawing bigger ticket sales.

Fleetwood Mac is going on tour next year. Most of my friends who are fans are willing to wait if it means saving a small fortune. Maybe if a day pass had been an option, or if prices had been a bit lower...

travlnman2
05-26-2017, 12:48 PM
People keep acting like they band is greedy and some fans think they know what's best. But what about Glenn's family what about how they feel. They should IMO give the final consent.

Dawn
05-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Personally I think how fans feel about any issue that impacts their support or non support isnt a question of fans thinking they know best. Fans are consumers.

Terri1962
05-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Just an FYI for folks who bought Classic East tics. I bought them with an American Express pre sale for $750. Field box seats. I went online yesterday and saw that the same tickets are now $450. I called Ticketmaster and they refunded my money. I went back online and got fourth row from the stage for $45o
:neutral:

rw1011
05-28-2017, 02:52 PM
The same thing happened to me the tickets dropped in price but ticketmaster won't give me a refund, I lost $800 how did you get the refund ? Any info would be appreciated

Terri1962
05-28-2017, 03:51 PM
I just insisted. I bought 8 tickets at 750 and told them now my friends who are reimbursing me see they are only 450 now. The guy said no problem, wanted to make sure I was going to go online and buy them at the lower price. I said I only want two now. He said ok. Went back online and it wouldn't let me buy the two I wanted four rows back. The woman tried to tell me there are no $450 tics left. I told her that I am looking on their website and there are many, including the ones they just refunded me. After many times on hold to "talk to her supervisor" she finally said "I am so sorry, the tickets you want are available!". No kidding. Anyway, just call them and tell them you know some people have been given refunds. Speak to a supervisor, they don't want another lawsuit for price gauging. Let me know how you make out 😀

Dawn
05-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Glad you got a refund, here's what I'm seeing on vividseats.

https://www.vividseats.com/mobile/Production.action?production.productionId=2312411

Terri1962
05-29-2017, 04:11 PM
Not sure about Classic West, I got tickets to Classic East. Plenty of tickets left on Ticketmaster without gong through the secondary market at this point..

Dawn
05-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Not sure about Classic West, I got tickets to Classic East. Plenty of tickets left on Ticketmaster without gong through the secondary market at this point..

Agreed. Glad folks can still get tickets w/o turning to SM thx for the info!

Dawn
05-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Tune in to Good Morning America this Thursday, June 1st to see Earth, Wind & Fire and The Doobie Brothers perform live in advance of The Classic East and West Concerts this July with The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan and Journey!

Funk 50
05-30-2017, 05:41 AM
Since Joe led us to Deacon Frey, as a Classic East / West special guest appearance, this could be relevant. Could be just pals hanging out :shrug:

http://pagesix.com/2017/05/29/paul-mccartney-reveals-the-story-behind-sgt-pepper/

Spies said that on Friday night, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were sitting at a corner table at LA Italian eatery the Ponte with Eagles rocker Joe Walsh, country star Vince Gill and Jack Nicholson.

Brooke
05-30-2017, 04:01 PM
I was just reading an old article in Rolling Stone about the loss of Duane Allman and this was the remaining band members thought on replacing him-

"For a while there was talk that the Brothers were looking for a replacement for Duane, but the idea was never discussed within the band. Betts tells why. "I think replacing Duane would have been one of the most uncreative morbid moves anyone could make. It would have cheapened our whole organization to hire someone and teach him Duane's licks."

Food for thought.

Glennhoney
05-30-2017, 07:04 PM
I was just reading an old article in Rolling Stone about the loss of Duane Allman and this was the remaining band members thought on replacing him-

"For a while there was talk that the Brothers were looking for a replacement for Duane, but the idea was never discussed within the band. Betts tells why. "I think replacing Duane would have been one of the most uncreative morbid moves anyone could make. It would have cheapened our whole organization to hire someone and teach him Duane's licks."

Food for thought.
:heart::heart::heart:..very wise...

travlnman2
05-30-2017, 07:47 PM

Food for thought.

Then they replaced him with Derek Trucks and Warren Hayes

WalshFan88
05-30-2017, 09:06 PM
Then they replaced him with Derek Trucks and Warren Hayes

Yeah but they weren't there to "replace him". They were there to compliment Dickey. To me Warren plays more like Dickey than Duane. Derek plays slide, but has his own sound.

There is no replacing Duane Allman just like there is no replacing Glenn Frey...

WalshFan88
05-30-2017, 09:11 PM
People keep acting like they band is greedy and some fans think they know what's best. But what about Glenn's family what about how they feel. They should IMO give the final consent.

Gonna have to disagree TM..

Yes they should have a say, but ultimately whose to say they really knew what Glenn would have wanted done. From the sounds of it, he declined so quickly that there may not have even been a chance to discuss the Eagles going forward. If that was the case, they could still be choosing something that would have upset Glenn....

I hope DH and Irving did ask Cindy, but even still, that doesn't make what they are doing right to me and some others here, and that's just the way it is.

Glenn and Don are/were irreplaceable. You could replace darn near every member but those two and still have it be the Eagles. Trust me, I hated that fact when Felder was ejected. But it didn't slow ticket sales any. People that were only casual fans may not have even noticed. But you get someone who was the frontman/singer, and it's a different story. I've always had a problem with them hogging the spotlight and attention, but it is what it is. That said, Glenn and Don were/are the Eagles no matter who else was there. The reverse is not true.

New Kid In Town
05-31-2017, 09:06 AM
WF - I agree.......

Brooke
05-31-2017, 09:54 AM
I agree too, WF.

The Allman Brothers situation was different though. They were a young, newly successful band and their leader was accidently killed. The Eagles are 45 years in and their leader died unexpectedly. Time makes a big difference here.

travlnman2
05-31-2017, 11:07 AM
Yeah but they weren't there to "replace him". They were there to compliment Dickey. To me Warren plays more like Dickey than Duane. Derek plays slide, but has his own sound.

There is no replacing Duane Allman just like there is no replacing Glenn Frey...

But they still play Duanes parts.

sodascouts
05-31-2017, 03:45 PM
I just insisted. I bought 8 tickets at 750 and told them now my friends who are reimbursing me see they are only 450 now. The guy said no problem, wanted to make sure I was going to go online and buy them at the lower price. I said I only want two now. He said ok. Went back online and it wouldn't let me buy the two I wanted four rows back. The woman tried to tell me there are no $450 tics left. I told her that I am looking on their website and there are many, including the ones they just refunded me. After many times on hold to "talk to her supervisor" she finally said "I am so sorry, the tickets you want are available!". No kidding. Anyway, just call them and tell them you know some people have been given refunds. Speak to a supervisor, they don't want another lawsuit for price gauging. Let me know how you make out ��

Terri, you are fierce! It's not easy getting a refund from TM! My hat's off to you.

Glenn and Don are/were irreplaceable.

Amen.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 12:42 AM
So now we know.

Vince Gill.

WalshFan88
06-01-2017, 12:56 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-eagles-reunion-vince-gill-deacon-frey-classic-west-east-20170530-story.html

Added Henley, “He doesn’t have to do this forever. Someday, if he decides to write his own songs and have his own band, we’ll be the first to support him. But this is a good way to break in.”

Sure makes it sound like this isn't just two shows... "forever"...In other words, the "Eagles" are going to keep at it after Classic East/West, just as I predicted.

That phrase wouldn't have been used for just TWO SHOWS...

And FTR, I don't see Vince Gill giving up his solo work and touring, so maybe they'll either coexist or he'll drop out at some point.

I see Deacon singing the "rockin'" Glenn songs, and Vince singing the smoother countrier numbers. Vince doesn't have a very convincing rock voice IMO. Too smooth and twangy.

Still, not cool and a thumbs down from me.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 01:04 AM
I agree, Austin. It would take something going catastrophically wrong for them to not follow up.

It sounds to me from Vince's quote in that interview that he is absolutely salivating at the thought of touring with the Eagles. "I always thought I'd have made a good Eagle," he says, all smiles.That sounds like he's ready to make this arrangement long term.

It doesn't sound like he is being billed as a special guest, does it? I really think they are seriously going to make Vince Gill an official member of the Eagles.

Jiminy Cricket.

Dawn
06-01-2017, 01:18 AM
This is really pitiful.

WalshFan88
06-01-2017, 01:28 AM
I agree, Austin. It would take something going catastrophically wrong for them to not follow up.

It sounds to me from Vince's quote in that interview that he is absolutely salivating at the thought of touring with the Eagles. "I always thought I'd have made a good Eagle," he says, all smiles.That sounds like he's ready to make this arrangement long term.

It doesn't sound like he is being billed as a special guest, does it? I really think they are seriously going to make Vince Gill an official member of the Eagles.

Jiminy Cricket.

That's the way I read it...

Also in that promo pic, no Bernie...Bernie probably might be thinking what we are thinking...or for some reason they didn't put him in the picture. Hmmm. Supposedly he was seen in a video with Deacon and Joe rehearsing.

Dawn
06-01-2017, 03:08 AM
Well at least the ticket prices are coming down and fans now have the option of buying a one day pass.

FreyFollower
06-01-2017, 04:38 AM
Well, of course Vince Gill was in Pure Prarie Leage, and can also sing RNB quite well. I have seen him in a festival setting before, and he was obviously well in another league than most of the other acts. Very professional. Excellent guitarist. I just don't see where his voice will fit in the mix even though he is known for harmonizing. They have Timothy for the high tenor parts. I know I wouldn't be happy with anyone they chose. Adding him just makes the act a "whole 'nother can of corn" as the saying goes; one that many will not care for.

I don't care for the whole idea of this (continuing), but for Deacon's sake, I hope these shows go well. I wish him great things in the future. He looked very happy (and good) in the photo!

Funk 50
06-01-2017, 07:27 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-eagles-reunion-vince-gill-deacon-frey-classic-west-east-20170530-story.html

I've don't think I've ever heard anything by Vince Gill. I know he's country, which is enough to switch me off. If he's won a stack of grammys in his solo career, will he be doing any of his own material with the band? Is he a good enough guitarist to make Steuart Smith surplus to requirement? What about Bernie, If Glenn's wishes are being considered, surely Bernie would also be in the photo.

I'm not interested in the Eagles as a, far from pristine, relic from the past, attempting to recreate past glories.

New Kid In Town
06-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Wow, so all this big build up and huge secret to finally announce Vince Gill !!!!! And yes, it sure sounds to me like they have already planned a tour after the festival. Guess we will have to wait for that big announcement. :thumbsdown:

UndertheWire
06-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Like F50, I haven't heard much of Vince Gill. Is he likely to be a good choice musically and commercially? It does all seem to be a bit of an anti-climax - why wait so long to announce something that was predicted months ago?

scottside
06-01-2017, 09:22 AM
I think Vince Gill will fit in with the Eagles fine instrumentally as his playing style is way closer to that of Steuart Smith than Joe Walsh. He's an excellent guitar player, but I'm guessing his role as an "Eagle" will be more as a rhythm player as he will probably handle Glenn's parts. Vocally, he's also a great singer, but I'm not sure if he's all that compatible with the other guys in that realm. But then again, I don't know a whole lot about Deacon's singing either. I've seen him in a number of videos and he sounded very good, but nothing like Glenn. He seems to be a bit more of a lead guitar player than his dad was though.

travlnman2
06-01-2017, 09:36 AM
That's the way I read it...

Also in that promo pic, no Bernie...Bernie probably might be thinking what we are thinking...or for some reason they didn't put him in the picture. Hmmm. Supposedly he was seen in a video with Deacon and Joe rehearsing.

Or maybe they are keeping his appereance a secret. People who want a proper tribute are forgetting one thing. The Harrisons decided that THEY wanted to do it. But the Freys most likely dont want it or want to keep their mourning private. Saying Don Henley doesnt care about the Eagles legacy or is removing Glenn is pitiful. Don and Glenn knew eachother for years. They were brothers and I am pretty sure that they decided what would happened to the band if one of them dies. I am taking a break from the border because it has become controversial and blasphemous to support this. I NEVER got to see the Eagles live so if they toured this would be my only chance to ser them. To say that Don Henley and the band would erase Glenn is blasphemous who in their right mind would think that? If Glenns family did not approve or Glenn had a will saying he wanted the band to stop the. it would ne a diffrent story.

shunlvswx
06-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I was not surprised that Vince was the other person.

Vince has sung with Don, Timothy and Joe and IMO has blended very well with them. Vince can blend well with anybody. Everybody in country music always wants Vince to sing or play on their record. Vince is one of the best guitarist in country music. Vince can sing low. So unless he's going to sing high along with Timothy(which he probably will), he might have to drop his range a little. They might have Vince sing Glenn's country rock songs and Deacon singing the other songs.

I don't know how the guitar leads will go because Vince do majority of his guitar solos in concert. He only do a few songs where he plays the acoustic guitar. I think Vince will fit very well. I think Vince will surprise us.

As for Steuart. Steuart will probably be there like always as part of the backup band. I would be very surprised if he wasn't, but I think he will be there. Its basically going to be 4 guitarist on stage(if Steuart will be there which he probably will). Also we never heard Steuart sing a lead before which is interesting. He just sing backup.

As for broadcasting the concert. I think Irving would be stupid to not do it.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Here he is doing an Eagles song - he sings pretty high typically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glcce9qK0To

He has had a lot of country hits. I enjoy country on occasion like a good Texan, but somehow I can't name any songs by him. So, I went over to Wikipedia to see if I recognized any titles, and I remember hearing this one often at the Dixie Chicken while I was at Texas A&M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaT5wWyjd2A

I didn't recognize any others from the titles, at least. Maybe if I heard them....

GlennLover
06-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Vince Gill Very professional. Excellent guitarist. I just don't see where his voice will fit in the mix even though he is known for harmonizing. They have Timothy for the high tenor parts. I know I wouldn't be happy with anyone they chose. Adding him just makes the act a "whole 'nother can of corn" as the saying goes; one that many will not care for.

I don't care for the whole idea of this (continuing), but for Deacon's sake, I hope these shows go well. I wish him great things in the future. He looked very happy (and good) in the photo!

Although I really like Vince Gill, I agree with this, FF. To me Vince's voice is more like Timothy's. After all, Vince sang I Can't Tell You Why on Common Thread.

I'm glad Glenn's family is on board with this, but I still don't agree with it.

Dawn
06-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Book em' Irv.

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Well at least the ticket prices are coming down and fans now have the option of buying a one day pass.

That should have been allowed from the start. I suppose irving had this idea that it would all sell out immediately no matter what he charged.

buffyfan145
06-01-2017, 10:34 AM
I love Vince Gill and been a fan of his my whole life. His dad actually lived here in Columbus in my grandparent's old neighborhood till when he passed. I love Vince's songs and I've seen him twice in concert. His voice will be perfect for the slower songs Glenn sang, while Deacon takes more of the faster ones. Vince also has said multiple times that he styled his own guitar playing after Glenn, and he and Glenn became close friends. I think that's a great idea to spilt up Glenn's vocals and I too think this means they will be continuing on after these shows. If Vince can't stay then maybe they'll have a rotating member, but I think for awhile Deacon and Vince are members of the band now.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 10:38 AM
While the price change/day pass will probably entice people who otherwise wouldn't have come, the change in prices and the one-day pass aspect isn't getting a lot of press. Most people who have already written this off aren't coming back constantly to see if prices have dropped, or if a one day pass is now available.

Nowadays, most people read headlines and little else. Sad but true. The change in pricing and the one-day pass aspect is buried at the bottom of the Vince Gill announcement. It will be seen by some, but not most. As for the Mac fans that don't give a hoot about the "new Eagles" and probably won't even click on this - well, they won't even hear about the new day pass option.

Am I missing something? Has the pricing change received press elsewhere and I've just not seen it?

As for the addition of Vince Gill... well, certainly, that will entice his fans to come. I don't think the casual Eagles fan will jump up and run to see Classic Rock East/West just to have the privilege of seeing Vince's first show with the Eagles, though.

What do you guys think? Will Vince Gill as a member really up the numbers?

Dawn
06-01-2017, 10:46 AM
What happend to Smith, is he still in the lineup?

shunlvswx
06-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Steuart will probably be there as part of the backup band. I just don't see them not including Steuart and even Will, Scott, and Michael. Since Steuart is technically not an Eagle, I don't see Don announcing Steuart to be there.

That's going to be a lot of guitarist on the stage, but than again. Their were 4 guitarist on stage during the HOTE tour

maryc2130
06-01-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm sure that Vince has a following that will help the numbers, but I don't think the rise will be significant.

However, I don't think that's why the choice was made, and I'm glad it wasn't made for that reason. I think Vince is a great choice musically and personality-wise. His guitar playing and vocals should fit right in with the Eagles. Don has worked with him before, seems comfortable with him, and their voices blend very nicely. I believe remember seeing that Vince and Joe are friends or have worked together before (someone correct me if I'm wrong with that), and the fact that he and Glenn were friends makes him a nice choice as well, IMHO. I don't know too much about Vince, but he seems to have a laid back personality that will make it an easier transition. Also, the fact that he's about ten years younger than the current members of the Eagles is also a plus, as it can help fill in for some of the spots where Don, Timothy and Joe's voices are declining.

I LOVE the picture of the 5 of them! Deacon looks awesome, and the other 4, not too shabby, either!

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
From the LA Times:

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Ooops. Already posted.

Vince did a spectacular job with "I Can't Tell You Why" for the Common Threads album. He's a fabulous musician and is considered one of the premiere pickers in Nashville. After Glenn died, Vince sang "Peaceful Easy Feeling" in tribute to him at the Grand Ole Opry. I'm sure Glenn would approve of his inclusion wholeheartedly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-wZhXQdbrY

I saw Vince in concert a few years ago in Huntsville. He puts on a great show. He was talking about CT and said, "Yeah, I wanted to sing 'Already Gone' or something, but they didn't even think about me for that one. I was destined to sing 'I Can't Tell You Why'." He was being funny, though. He did talk a little about how much he loves the Eagles and how thrilled he was to be tapped for the album.

Dawn
06-01-2017, 12:02 PM
While the price change/day pass will probably entice people who otherwise wouldn't have come, the change in prices and the one-day pass aspect isn't getting a lot of press. Most people who have already written this off aren't coming back constantly to see if prices have dropped, or if a one day pass is now available.

Nowadays, most people read headlines and little else. Sad but true. The change in pricing and the one-day pass aspect is buried at the bottom of the Vince Gill announcement. It will be seen by some, but not most. As for the Mac fans that don't give a hoot about the "new Eagles" and probably won't even click on this - well, they won't even hear about the new day pass option.

Am I missing something? Has the pricing change received press elsewhere and I've just not seen it?

As for the addition of Vince Gill... well, certainly, that will entice his fans to come. I don't think the casual Eagles fan will jump up and run to see Classic Rock East/West just to have the privilege of seeing Vince's first show with the Eagles, though.

What do you guys think? Will Vince Gill as a member really up the numbers?

All good questions Soda. Personally, I don't think adding Vince Gill as an Eagle is the panacea.

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Since I can't afford tickets or plane fare to any of the shows, it's kind of an academic question for me. I can tell you that one of the great things about The Eagles is they appeal to such a wide audience. (Like we didn't all know that. LOL.) Country fans usually like them, too, and I think they'll be very interested in seeing Vince with the band. He normally doesn't have any problems selling tickets for his solo shows, so I'd think there would be a fair amount of interest.

I think the shows themselves will be fantastic.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 12:28 PM
It's true that Vince Gill is well-respected. I wouldn't have been keen on whoever they picked, but it had to be someone, and Vince Gill is undoubtedly talented. Why not him?

There's nothing to soften Vince Gill as the new kid in town; his addition underlines the fact that Glenn has joined the ranks of Don Felder as just another expendable player.

That seems wrong to me. That's not Vince Gill's fault, though.

However, I'm happy for those of you who are excited about this. From all accounts, Vince Gill seems like a nice man.

Dawn
06-01-2017, 01:04 PM
just an FYI

Patrick Simmons of the Doobie Brothers announced on Good Morning America this morning the new lineup while promoting the Classic tour.

Video of EW&F performing today on GMA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lxkbDlIXLVw

Doobies also performed perhaps GMA has a link of their website.

OutlawManNJ
06-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Vince Gill....wow..what a load of crap.

The Eagles died long before Glenn. Now they are just ruining whatever little respect I still had for them.

Pippinwhite
06-01-2017, 01:16 PM
@Soda: Vince is a very nice man. He's well known in Nashville as being one of the go-to people if you need someone to raise money for a charity. Seems like Glenn may have played at Vince's annual charity golf event, the Vinny.

I think maybe what the guys were thinking was take some of the burden off Deacon. Those are big shoes to fill. I don't think it makes Glenn expendable -- I look at it as a way of honoring the incredible legacy he left, and doing it in a way I feel is respectful. They didn't look for some kid to do it. They wanted someone who is also one of the top dogs in the music world -- someone they felt could live up to the demands of the music.

It's painful to think about the Eagles without Glenn, and it does seem sort of sacrilegious in a way to think anyone could ever take his place. But I'm trying to see it as them honoring his place, rather than replacing him. :heart:

BillBailey1976
06-01-2017, 02:54 PM
I think Vince will be a nice addition. He is well known as a fantastic guitar player, and also plays mandolin (Saturday Night).
Plus, Vince is a tenor. This will help also in harmonies if Timothy's voice isn't 100 percent. It seems he is struggling on the higher notes at times.

Desperado73
06-01-2017, 05:19 PM
I take it Bernie Leadon isn't still involved?

Dawn
06-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Love Vince Gill just don't see the need to add him to the lineup to sing and/or play Eagles songs. Truth be told, I am very disappointed in Henley ... Azoff not so much .. bushels of hundred dollar bills and all that ...

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Was Bernie's involvement ever officially confirmed?

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 06:26 PM
On another note... I just got an email advertising the new line up and pricing changes. The e-mail, however, led with the presale info and included the new lineup information, shall we say.

Several of my Mac friends are talking about getting a one day pass and going now. I think we're going to see a lot more sales.

It's interesting to me that they made the announcements in tandem. I wonder why.

Delilah
06-01-2017, 07:53 PM
I'm moving this post from the Classic East/West Concert thread so my response will be under the appropriate topic. I haven't posted here lately b/c I haven't had anything new to say really but since it was brought up in the other "safe" thread, I made a comment. This is my opinion only, no need for any hostility.:-)

Love Vince Gill just don't see the need to add him to the lineup to sing and/or play Eagles songs. Truth be told, I am very disappointed in Henley ... Azoff not so much .. bushels of hundred dollar bills and all that ...

If no one else is added to the line-up--not as a replacement for Glenn or even a new Eagle but as a guest--then I think it will only confirm what others are apprehensive about--that it looks like Glenn is expendable. It will seem the remaining 3 are going on as if nothing happened. Glenn's not there? Then just have the other Eagles sing his songs; or maybe not sing them at all. The latter option is not honoring Glenn, imo. By adding guests, the band is acknowledging that change has taken place and there's a huge void they need to do something about. No one will expect it to be the same as before.

I'm not disappointed in Henley b/c performing for profit is nothing new for him or any other ambitious musician. With most of his earning years behind him, he may looking to secure the future for his various causes or extended family members. Who knows? It's really not any of my business.

It did sadden me to open that L.A. Times article and see a picture of the On the Border/One of These Nights line-up, knowing only one of them in the picture will be carrying on the Eagles name (assuming Bernie won't be taking part).

OutlawManNJ
06-01-2017, 08:58 PM
People on the Eagles facebook page seem much more accepting of this BS.

EagleInKansas
06-01-2017, 09:16 PM
I hope when I'm 70 strangers who have no understanding of my life or the business I am in teach me about how to conduct myself within each. I guess it's better than having them explicitly tell me to wither up and die, which I assume would be the implication.

sodascouts
06-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Your assumption is a tad on the melodramatic side, EagleInKansas.

EagleInKansas
06-01-2017, 09:29 PM
I disagree. Those words were chosen very carefully and reached after significant introspection and understanding of their potential consequences.

WalshFan88
06-01-2017, 10:41 PM
I disagree. Those words were chosen very carefully and reached after significant introspection and understanding of their potential consequences.

Sarcasm perhaps? Regardless, I agree with Soda here.

We are NOT asking the guys to roll over and die and never play again. Or even together.

The issue is calling it "Eagles", plain and simple.

Philh
06-02-2017, 03:25 AM
Rock History Music's take on Vince Gill joining the band

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JP6ZZsMY9iI

UndertheWire
06-02-2017, 04:33 AM
I rather wish I hadn't clicked on that. imo, that guy has nothing of value to add to the discussion and he's just using a popular subject to generate income. He says he would see this line-up and yet he's just admitted that he's never seen the Eagles live. However, he doesn't explain why he finds this lineup more compelling than the one he couldn't be bothered to see in decades of touring.

I'm ok with a new version of the band continuing and with people wanting to see them. I understand there may be good reasons why someone won't have seen the Eagles previously but what I don't accept is that this version counts as the Eagles.

New Kid In Town
06-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Question - So is Vince officially a member of the Eagles or does he come under the "Family and Friends" or, have they forgot about that title/concept altogether ? Does anyone know if Bernie will be playing with them ? Is this the "new Eagles" ? If so, they are pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable, we did our year of mourning and time to move on. Not happy if this is true. However, this is not Vince's fault.

BillBailey1976
06-02-2017, 07:53 AM
I think that this IS the Eagles now. At least, that's the signals that I'm picking up. The publicity photo to me is the key. After Felder was fired, all the publicity pictures were just of the 4. Even the History of the Eagles tour posters and such only included the 4 and not Bernie (as far as what I've seen).
With this new picture, I think they are saying "this is us".
I may be wrong, but that's my impression.

UndertheWire
06-02-2017, 08:03 AM
I think that this IS the Eagles now. At least, that's the signals that I'm picking up. The publicity photo to me is the key. After Felder was fired, all the publicity pictures were just of the 4. Even the History of the Eagles tour posters and such only included the 4 and not Bernie (as far as what I've seen).
With this new picture, I think they are saying "this is us".
I may be wrong, but that's my impression.
I'm inclined to agree.

I thought the setup was interesting. Having them grouped around an Eagles packing case seemed to refer back to the promotional photos for both the HFO and HotE tours. Deacon was up front with Don and Joe at either shoulder looking benign, Vince Gill was modestly staying back but looking relaxed and Timothy was slightly apart but looking more relaxed than he often does.

BlueJeanBaby
06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I don't believe I've actually heard the "Family and Friends" thing since the original mention; they also appear to have quietly dropped the "Special Guest" billing altogether.

I agree with Bill & UTW above that the new promo photo with all of them is also very suspect. And Vince Gill? No doubt he's a talented guy, though I'm personally not a fan, but he doesn't belong with them as an Eagle, to say the very least (nor would anyone they selected). And from the way they are talking, it's sounding more and more like a soft launch for a tour than two standalone festival dates.

It's been a fast ride downhill from (paraphrasing here) "No way, we're done" to what appears to be happening now. The whole thing has been very disappointing and disturbing to me.

To answer the opening question of the LA Times article...

Can an iconic rock band that’s lost a key member continue? Or should it?...just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

Dawn
06-02-2017, 10:49 AM
The publicity photo is very nice and certainly underscores (at least in my mind) that Glenn Frey is irreplaceable until he wasn't.

Funk 50
06-02-2017, 11:45 AM
It's nice to see Joe, front and center in the Eagle$ promo shots. Disappointed that we don't get more than a line or two of comment from the two newest Eagles.

At this point though, I hope Joe does the Classic East / West shows then makes a graceful exit. I may do a Henley and change my mind though. :-?

Joe was brought in to improve the Eagles live show in the mid seventies. He's played that roll ever since. Elbow's Guy Garvey say's that sound systems are now good enough to allow performers to play ballad heavy sets in huge arenas. If that is so, Eagles don't need half a dozen (ancient) Walsh songs to beef up their live show. Henley, (D) Frey, Schmit and Gill, hopefully Leadon too can be play the Eagles catalog and Joe can do what he is on the planet to do, play rock music. :thumbsup:

Dawn
06-02-2017, 12:01 PM
I don't believe I've actually heard the "Family and Friends" thing since the original mention; they also appear to have quietly dropped the "Special Guest" billing altogether.

I agree with Bill & UTW above that the new promo photo with all of them is also very suspect. And Vince Gill? No doubt he's a talented guy, though I'm personally not a fan, but he doesn't belong with them as an Eagle, to say the very least (nor would anyone they selected). And from the way they are talking, it's sounding more and more like a soft launch for a tour than two standalone festival dates.

It's been a fast ride downhill from (paraphrasing here) "No way, we're done" to what appears to be happening now. The whole thing has been very disappointing and disturbing to me.

To answer the opening question of the LA Times article...

...just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

My personal opinion is it's possible adding Deacon wasn't enough to overcome any real or imagined doubts/reservations leading to the decision to recruit a heavy hitter like a Vince Gill. All along there was speculation about Deacon and if not him then Seger, JD or Jackson. In other words my impression is it could/would be one or the other not a combo deal.

At the end of the day what amazes me is the obvious distortion of an iconic band's virtual identity under the guise that fans aren't ready to let go?

As a fan who does not feel that way I guess that makes me an official card carrying member of the detractor's club. :???:

NightMistBlue
06-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Elbow's Guy Garvey say's that sound systems are now good enough to allow performers to play ballad heavy sets in huge arenas.

Sorry to be dense, but I don't understand Mr. Garvey's reasoning. Performers balance the ballads with the more upbeat/rocking numbers so the audience won't fall asleep or otherwise be bored to tears. Nothing to do with acoustics, I shouldn't think.

Funk 50
06-02-2017, 12:56 PM
I initially agreed with your point of view NightMistBlue but since 1975, when arena tours didn't even exist, they've now developed to the point where you can entertain a huge audience with intricate light, screen and circus tricks to compliment the music. I suppose digital sound systems are also far better than the old analog tech..

Walsh has a reluctance to play his quieter songs in concert because they are drowned out by rowdy fans but if Elbow can play arenas, I'm sure the Eagles can too.

If Joe left the Eagles, I'm sure all the songs he sang would be replaced rather than reinterpreted. Vince Gill must have a catalog of hits.
Would Vince Gill fans fork out a fortune for Eagle$ tickets if he's only going to contribute to Eagle$ songs?

NightMistBlue
06-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Oh OK, Guy meant they can drown out any punters who boo the slow songs. But then the punters will just start throwing things...

If the new Eagles should turn into a going concern, maybe Vince Gill would get restless and want to do his own songs, like Joe does. "When I Call Your Name" is a real good country weeper.

Funk 50
06-02-2017, 02:26 PM
No! No!
Guy means that the audience can actually enjoy a live set that isn't chock full of up tempo rock songs. The ultimate protest would be for the audience to stop buying tickets.

Glenn felt the Eagles needed Walsh songs to pep up their live show in the 70s. That was probably still the case until a few years ago.

I think the Eagles would be fine in future without Walsh especially if Vince Gill is as good as everybody says he is. :-)

Pippinwhite
06-02-2017, 03:36 PM
@F50: He's that good. He's played with Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton -- and Mark Knopfler approached him in the early 90s about joining Dire Straits.

Here, he's with the great Gregg Allman and Zac Brown for "Midnight Rider." Hang with it until the end, when he lights it up with a howling solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbnWr1-Qsc

Brooke
06-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Well, I'll add my 2 cents too!

Not happy with the way they are doing this at all. Calling themselves the Eagles after their founder has passed on is just not right, imo. They could have called themselves something else (Henley, Walsh, and Schmit formerly of the Eagles for instance). That tells me they are after the money because the Eagles brand means money!

I'm happy for Deacon and hope he does well. I think it's fine for him to do this for the two special shows. But tour? No.

I like Vince Gill, but am surprised he would want to tour with them.

What happened to Bernie? If they have to do it, why didn't they let him be there too? (Because Glenn told him it wasn't over!)

Very disappointed. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

EagleInKansas
06-02-2017, 05:05 PM
If so, they are pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable, we did our year of mourning and time to move on. Not happy if this is true. However, this is not Vince's fault.

This is how I come up with the implication that some feel the band, and its members, should wither up and die. "Pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable," even though they have literally said that he is not. So either you trust Don Henley or you think he's a liar, and if you think he's a liar, why are you a fan of the Eagles?

And then we decry the fact that the members of the band are "moving on." I envy you for never having experienced loss, but that's pretty much what life is -- trying to push ahead in the wake of disappointment, hurt or tragedy. You're either moving forward or you're not. The Eagles have made the admirable -- yet obvious -- decision to move on. Because that's what people do.

The Eagles name is not sacred. Just like the Troubador Bar wasn't sacred, it's the people who were in it. This is a different group of people. It's possible that the magic cannot be recreated, and I am prepared for that. We'll see. Dismissal out of hand, however, I can't relate to. This feels like a "taking sides" moment, and I want to be on the side where the only possibility of continuing to enjoy my lifelong favorite band also resides.

maryc2130
06-02-2017, 06:21 PM
No! No!
Guy means that the audience can actually enjoy a live set that isn't chock full of up tempo rock songs. The ultimate protest would be for the audience to stop buying tickets.

Glenn felt the Eagles needed Walsh songs to pep up their live show in the 70s. That was probably still the case until a few years ago.

I think the Eagles would be fine in future without Walsh especially if Vince Gill is as good as everybody says he is. :-)

I don't agree that the Eagles don't need Walsh. They need him now more than ever, IMHO. He adds quite a bit with his awesome guitar playing and antics on stage. Where would HC and LIFL be without him? Also, he's a crowd favorite and puts a lot of bottoms into seats. I'd be surprised if he didn't do some of this solo songs and can't figure out why anyone would think they don't need him.

I have to admit that I can't understand why the Eagles name is important over everything else. I understand why it's important, and I've said all along that I wish they wouldn't use the name, but I completely understand why they are doing it. Yes, it has to do with money, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are money-hungry. It's simple economics. If they use the Eagles name they make big money, if they don't use it, they're lucky to break even. I wouldn't be surprised if they think about it as "Eagles Family and Friends" but are calling it the Eagles because it's the only thing that makes any sense. Both Henley and Schmidt have said that their solo tours don't make a lot of money, so it's not a stretch to say that if they want to continue to do those tours, they need another funding source.

Also, it appears that the three remaining Eagles WANT to continue to tour together. I think it says something that Henley invited Walsh and Schmidt to participate in his birthday concert. He wants them there, celebrating with him. Then we have Deacon Frey, Glenn's son. He seems pretty happy about the situation, and so does his mother. Deacon refers to the 3 Eagles as "like his uncles". Don, Joe and Timothy referred to Glenn as their brother. If Glenn could look down and see this, don't you think he'd be as proud as punch to see his son up there with his old buddies and band mates?

They also add Vince Gill, who gives them a great boost with the guitar playing and harmonies, as well as possibly doing some of his own stuff. On top of that, he has connections to all or most of the Eagles, including Glenn.

It's hard to put yourself in others' shoes, but if it had been Don who passed away, and Will Henley was up there singing or even just playing the drums, I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled. That would be a huge tribute to Don and a way to pass on his legacy. Would it be the same Eagles? No, it really wouldn't be the Eagles at all, but it could be something good, and I'd want to be there, supporting Will and the rest of the guys and seeing what happens. Don is a perfectionist; I can't imagine them going on stage with a less than stellar product.

I also agree with what Don says about not replacing Glenn. I think what he's saying is that it's a different product, a way to go on without Glenn. It's not going to sound the same, and that's okay. It's a way to fill the gap, but it's not getting someone to step in and do everything Glenn did - that would be impossible and it wouldn't honor his legacy.

I understood the issue with using the Eagles name in the beginning. I really did. In some ways I still understand it, but I can't see how rejecting Glenn's son and the rest of the Eagles would be honoring his legacy.

Turning one's back on Deacon is, to me, turning one's back on something Glenn would have loved.

Okay, I just had to get that out. I know we're talking about people's feelings here, and they are entitled to them. I don't have to understand them. What's that Henley line about agreeing to disagree? "It's a mystery to me we can't agree to disagree. It's lookin' like we never, ever will."

I do agree to disagree, and I do respect everyone else's feelings, but I just wanted to make mine known, since they have changed a little since the time when Glenn passed away.

sodascouts
06-02-2017, 06:37 PM
It's hard to put yourself in others' shoes, but if it had been Don who passed away, and Will Henley was up there singing or even just playing the drums, I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled. That would be a huge tribute to Don and a way to pass on his legacy. Would it be the same Eagles? No, it really wouldn't be the Eagles at all, but it could be something good, and I'd want to be there, supporting Will and the rest of the guys and seeing what happens. Don is a perfectionist; I can't imagine them going on stage with a less than stellar product.

Does anyone here really think that, if Don had died, Glenn would have continued the Eagles with a new guy singing Hotel California?

And does Will Henley even sing and play drums? Mary, I know you were just being hypothetical, but it seems many assume sons are practically interchangeable with their dads. Don and Irving really lucked out with Deacon.

I'm sure it will be a great show. These are talented musicians playing fantastic music. It will not be the quality it once was, but it will never be that quality again.

WalshFan88
06-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Does anyone here really think that, if Don had died, Glenn would have continued the Eagles with a new guy singing Hotel California?

No. Glenn was already kinda alluding to a retirement tour and saying he plans the Eagles tours year by year and just seeing where the chips fall. If Henley had died, Glenn would have ended the Eagles. Solo tours and tours with the other guys, sure. But not "Eagles".

maryc2130
06-02-2017, 07:16 PM

And does Will Henley even sing and play drums? Mary, I know you were just being hypothetical, but it seems many assume sons are practically interchangeable with their dads. These guys often choose a different path. Don and Irving just lucked out with Deacon.

I don't know if Will sings, but I think he plays the drums because I remember Don saying in an interview that he hired someone to teach Will to play the drums. Unless I'm mixing something up, but I'm pretty sure I remember that.

I don't know that Glenn would hire someone to sing HC, but there are probably songs of Glenn's that won't be sung, either. And I think it's conceivable that Glenn would have wanted the Eagles to go on in some manner. He and Don have always seemed pretty like-minded about the business side of the band. (I'm not saying he definitely would have wanted that, I'm saying it's possible.)

Dawn
06-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Well, I'll add my 2 cents too!

Not happy with the way they are doing this at all. Calling themselves the Eagles after their founder has passed on is just not right, imo. They could have called themselves something else (Henley, Walsh, and Schmit formerly of the Eagles for instance). That tells me they are after the money because the Eagles brand means money!

I'm happy for Deacon and hope he does well. I think it's fine for him to do this for the two special shows. But tour? No.

I like Vince Gill, but am surprised he would want to tour with them.

What happened to Bernie? If they have to do it, why didn't they let him be there too? (Because Glenn told him it wasn't over!)

Very disappointed. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is super disappointing. I don't fault Deacon - frankly Henley had several options to continue performing Eagles music including adding Deacon to the exisiting lineup and calling themselves another name. Vince Gill as an Eagle is like a Twilight Zone script.

maryc2130
06-02-2017, 07:21 PM
It is super disappointing. I don't fault Deacon - frankly Henley had several options to continue performing Eagles music including adding Deacon to the exisiting lineup and calling themselves another name. Vince Gill as an Eagle is like a Twilight Zone script.

We don't know that Vince Gill is officially an Eagle, do we?

sodascouts
06-02-2017, 07:29 PM
I don't know if Will sings, but I think he plays the drums because I remember Don saying in an interview that he hired someone to teach Will to play the drums. Unless I'm mixing something up, but I'm pretty sure I remember that.

Oh! Thanks for the information. I had forgotten that!

Well, I still have a hard time visualizing Glenn approaching Will to join the Eagles as the new drummer and then enlisting some other "recognizable name" to take over Don's vocals if Don were the one who'd died. As Austin pointed out, Glenn was already talking about letting the Eagles end. That is not the talk of a man desperate to keep the Eagles money machine going no matter what. Quite the opposite.

Glennhoney
06-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Jiminy Cricket.

Oh God...Please don't say that.........:sigh:

Dawn
06-02-2017, 07:37 PM
We don't know that Vince Gill is officially an Eagle, do we?

He's in the new Eagles lineup publicity photo which seems to suggest to me like Deacon he's an Eagle at least for the Classic summer tour ... should the experiment go well I think we can expect to see both of them continue touring with the Eagles as The Classic adds more cities/venues around the country. Clearly he's not a sideman, hired hand nor a special guest artist.

maryc2130
06-02-2017, 07:40 PM
He's in the new Eagles lineup publicity photo which seems to suggest to me like Deacon he's an Eagle at least for the Classic summer tour ... should the experiment go well I think we can expect to see both of them continue touring with the Eagles as The Classic adds more cities/venues around the country. Clearly he's not a sideman, hired hand nor a special guest artist.

He can tour with them without being an Eagle. I'm not saying he's definitely not going to be one, I'm just saying we can't assume that he is one because it hasn't been confirmed yet.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm against calling this new "lineup" (the) Eagles. I just feel it's disrespectful to Glenn and his memory. However, if I had the extra $$$$$, I would go to the East concert to se all of the bands. People obviously are willing to folk over money to see this new Eagles lineup. I'm glad that Don, Joe, and Tim are playing together, though. I'm sure that Deacon will do right by his father. I've not heard much of Vince Gill, so I can't properly comment on him.

New Kid In Town
06-02-2017, 08:42 PM
EIK - Sorry I did not respond to you post earlier - "And then we decry the fact that the members of the band are "moving on." I envy you for never having experienced loss, but that's pretty much what life is -- trying to push ahead in the wake of disappointment, hurt or tragedy. You're either moving forward or you're not. The Eagles have made the admirable -- yet obvious -- decision to move on. Because that's what people do

I could be wrong but I presume this was addressed to me. For your information, I have experienced loss. My Dad died when I was in my early 30's and my Mom has been dead over 20 years. In addition, I have lost five first cousins. So, I am well familiar with loss and moving on. I do not need a lecture from you or anyone else regarding the loss of a loved one or friend. I, along with many others on this board are quite familiar with it.

You have a right to say you are happy with them "moving on" just as much as myself and others here have a right to say they are not happy with it. You can say/believe all you want that Don is not replacing Glenn. However, there are those of us here who believe he is and in fact has already done so. I think it is wrong to call themselves "Eagles" when one half of the founder members - the guy who planned it all, is deceased. I would venture a guess that if it was reversed Glenn would not be doing this. I feel it is just plain disrespectful and a sad money grab as well as tarnishing the legacy of the band Glenn worked so hard for over half his life. It makes me sad that Don dose not feel the same way.

maryc2130
06-02-2017, 08:57 PM
EIK - Sorry I did not respond to you post earlier - "And then we decry the fact that the members of the band are "moving on." I envy you for never having experienced loss, but that's pretty much what life is -- trying to push ahead in the wake of disappointment, hurt or tragedy. You're either moving forward or you're not. The Eagles have made the admirable -- yet obvious -- decision to move on. Because that's what people do

I could be wrong but I presume this was addressed to me. For your information, I have experienced loss. My Dad died when I was in my early 30's and my Mom has been dead over 20 years. In addition, I have lost five first cousins. So, I am well familiar with loss and moving on. I do not need a lecture from you or anyone else regarding the loss of a loved one or friend. I, along with many others on this board are quite familiar with it.

You have a right to say you are happy with them "moving on" just as much as myself and others here have a right to say they are not happy with it. You can say/believe all you want that Don is not replacing Glenn. However, there are those of us here who believe he is and in fact has already done so. I think it is wrong to call themselves "Eagles" when one half of the founder members - the guy who planned it all, is deceased. I would venture a guess that if it was reversed Glenn would not be doing this. I feel it is just plain disrespectful and a sad money grab as well as tarnishing the legacy of the band Glenn worked so hard for over half his life. It makes me sad that Don dose not feel the same way.

For those who say this is a money grab, it seems you are ignoring the fact that it is a money grab for the Frey family as well as the remaining Eagles. I'm not berating Glenn's family for doing this. In fact, as I said, I'm fine with it. But let's face it, Cindy Frey profits from this, too, possibly as much as Don does. Is it okay that she's doing it but wrong that Don and the others are doing it?

Dawn
06-02-2017, 09:22 PM
He can tour with them without being an Eagle. I'm not saying he's definitely not going to be one, I'm just saying we can't assume that he is one because it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Personally I don't think there is any question that Vince Gill has offically joined the Eagles for the Classic summer tour and frankly I won't be surprised if he ends up recording a new album with them. Remember, first and foremost the real fun and money is in touring but touring to promote a new album is even better.

Delilah
06-03-2017, 12:25 AM
Question - So is Vince officially a member of the Eagles or does he come under the "Family and Friends" or, have they forgot about that title/concept altogether ? Does anyone know if Bernie will be playing with them ? Is this the "new Eagles" ? If so, they are pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable, we did our year of mourning and time to move on. Not happy if this is true. However, this is not Vince's fault.

EIK - Sorry I did not respond to you post earlier - "And then we decry the fact that the members of the band are "moving on." I envy you for never having experienced loss, but that's pretty much what life is -- trying to push ahead in the wake of disappointment, hurt or tragedy. You're either moving forward or you're not. The Eagles have made the admirable -- yet obvious -- decision to move on. Because that's what people do.

I'm sorry, but this is the kind of post that just boggles my mind. Both Henley and Schmit have said Glenn isn't replaceable (Walsh too I think). Being on the stage with Glenn for decades and knowing him since the 70s gives them a pretty good perspective on how they perceive their own feelings. They are the ones who are going to walk out on that stage and experience something they never have before--performing as the Eagles without Glenn. There are fans from the outside looking in who may see it differently. But obviously the band members themselves don't feel that way. I don't agree "they are pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable."

I also take issue with judging them for how long they should mourn and saying when it's ok for them to move on. And I haven't seen anyone else come out and say they shouldn't move on, only that they are not happy with them performing as Eagles.

One of the reasons I have not been posting here is b/c it's hard to deal with the sanctimonious "thou shalt not" pronouncements I see from some posters. Henley changed his mind about his own band? How dare he--that is equivalent to breaking some sacred vow. Ticket sales are not 100% great? It must be b/c this venture is wrong and doomed to fail...but by all means we wish Deacon well even if his first major outing as a musician turns out to be a flop. The Eagles haven't revealed the "secret" guest yet? Fans should be protesting in the street in outrage, even those who say they're not interested in seeing the new Eagles.:headscratch: Thank goodness that is no longer an issue.

There, I got it off my chest. It's hard to see a band I have grown to love be vilified time and time again.

Delilah
06-03-2017, 12:28 AM

I completely agree.

Dawn
06-03-2017, 01:27 AM
Music fans like sports and other types of fans are going to have opinions good, bad and ugly. That's to be expected - even appreciated - it goes with the territory. I'm not here to change minds or hearts.

What I am trying to do is be as honest/forthright as I can be while sharing my own thoughts and feelings. I make no apologies for my disappointment in Don Henley who I believe is well intentioned but misguided. I will not speculate about what Glenn would have wanted or not wanted.

As a fan I get to decide when it's time to say goodbye to a band I have loved and supported since the early 70's and that time came in January 2016 with the death of Glenn Frey.

sodascouts
06-03-2017, 02:17 AM
Personally I don't think there is any question that Vince Gill has offically joined the Eagles for the Classic summer tour and frankly I won't be surprised if he ends up recording a new album with them. Remember, first and foremost the real fun and money is in touring but touring to promote a new album is even better.

An Eagles album without Glenn.... So. Freaking. Wrong.

However, if this really is a new iteration of the Eagles, there is nothing stopping them from making as many albums as they like.

Would there really be much of a market for an album by this line up, though? Even the real Eagles didn't stay at the top long with LROOE, and that was 10 years ago. I don't think this line up would do nearly as well. To those who think of the Eagles as a rock band, Vince Gill might actually be a turn off, despite his considerable talent. A drop off in sales, a considerable drop off, would be hard to avoid.

Poor album sales would be another way to render the band's final years inglorious, although to be fair reduced sales is not an indicator of quality, and quality is what counts. Unfortunately, the quality would inevitably be reduced by Glenn's absence, so that's not a win either.

Dawn
06-03-2017, 03:51 AM

However, if this really is a new iteration of the Eagles, there is nothing stopping them from making as many albums as they like.

Would there really be much of a market for an album by this line up, though? Even the real Eagles didn't stay at the top long with LROOE, and that was 10 years ago. I don't think this line up would do nearly as well. To those who think of the Eagles as a rock band, Vince Gill might actually be a turn off, despite his considerable talent. A drop off in sales, a considerable drop off, would be hard to avoid.

Poor album sales would be another way to render the band's final years inglorious, although to be fair reduced sales is not an indicator of quality, and quality is what counts. Unfortunately, the quality would inevitably be reduced by Glenn's absence, so that's not a win either.

Assuming the "experiment" goes well and Azoff lines up more Classic tour dates and venues featuring the Eagles as headliners my initial thought on this idea was for them to do a Live concert album down the road. Perhaps even the upcoming summer Classic tour but that seems overly ambitious no matter how well they have their new act down.

Inglorious. Now that's a word tbat underscores my exact sentiments.

Philh
06-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Earth, Wind and Fire approve of the Eagles continuing

http://www.wjbdradio.com/music-news/2017/06/02/earth-wind-fire-approve-of-the-eagles-decision-to-keep-performing-its-gonna-be-healing

Funk 50
06-03-2017, 06:19 AM
@F50: He's that good. He's played with Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton -- and Mark Knopfler approached him in the early 90s about joining Dire Straits.

Here, he's with the great Gregg Allman and Zac Brown for "Midnight Rider." Hang with it until the end, when he lights it up with a howling solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbnWr1-Qsc

Thanks Pippinwhite, I've no doubt that Vince is good. I definitely going to hang with it but you aint going to turn me into a Vince fan.

People are saying this tarnishes the legacy of the band. There have been quite a few occasions when I've thought the same thing in the 40ish years I've been an Eagles fan. A few that come immediately to mind are; the piped intro to the live performances of Long Road Out Of Eden, the huge backing band, particularly the horns, Steuart Smith's exclusion and their lack of new material. I've been bracing myself for the introduction of female backing singers for some time but frankly, the legacy doesn't bother me anymore. If the band aren't bothered, why should I be.

I disagree with the fans who say Glenn wouldn't have continued the band without Henley. When Glenn was struggling to sell tickets to his live solo shows, he roped in Joe for The Party Of Two Tour. A purely financial decision, as far as I can see. If Glenn's income dried up, I'd expect him to do, whatever it takes, to address it.

I'm sure Vince and Deacon would love to be on an Eagles album. I hope their enthusiasm rubs off onto the others. I'm sure Glenn would be on it too.

:thumbsup:

New Kid In Town
06-03-2017, 07:01 AM
Delilah - First off, I want to clarify my statement as to the band moving on. I of course did not mean them not moving on with their lives. What I meant to say was I objected to them moving forward as a group and calling themselves the Eagles. I worded it the wrong way and for that I apologize.

Obviously, you and others disagree with those of us who feel continuing and calling themselves the Eagles is fine. I understand that. However, I don't feel I am being sanctimonious when I say I object with the band continuing and calling themselves that. I have stated it before and will say it again - I would love to see Don, Tim and Joe touring together and in fact would pay to see a show like that. Of course they can do whatever they like. It dose not mean I have to be happy with it. I feel it tarnishes the legacy of the band.

As for filming these concerts series, I think it is sad to think they would film these and not have filmed at least one show of the HOTE Tour. And, yes, I know WHY they would film these Classic shows.

UndertheWire
06-03-2017, 07:39 AM
On the question of whether Glenn would have continued the band without Don, my first instinct is "no", but then I believed the same of Don, so who knows? Overall, it seems less likely given Glenn's health issues. He seems to have had lots of other projects lined up and possibly his desire to perform would have been satisfied by the occasional private or charity show.

Looking forward, I'm keen to hear how Deacon sounds. He's got the look - like his dad but different - and I'm hoping the same will be true of his singing. I don't want a copy, I want something that will fit but bring something new. He has more formal musical education than Glenn had and is a graduate of Berklees College. He started playing younger, had better intruments and, no doubt, instruction from fine musicians. He's grown up backstage at major venues. He's played with his father in front of audiences and has been through the Frey rehearsal process. Henley says he's talented, so fingers crossed that he lives up to his pedigree.

New Kid In Town
06-03-2017, 08:04 AM
UTW, According to Deacon's FB Page( which he must have just closed) he went to Emerson College in Boston. Also, Glenn was classically trained in piano from the ages of 5 to 12. He also was first chair in his HS band that, according to someone who knew his brother that posted here awhile ago, played at Detroit Lions half time shows and competed in state championships. In fact, he was so talented the band director was pissed about him throwing his promising musical career away when he quit to join/form his first rock band. I had read an interview where Tim stated his son Ben was attending Berklee.

Just read where Deacon stated he started playing guitar at age seven "a baby Taylor", which was a gift from Glenn. Deacon is talented and being back stage at all those Eagles concerts since he was a baby has probably given him a good prospective on the music business. I wish him well.

UndertheWire
06-03-2017, 08:35 AM
I wonder where I got that from? Probably my brain jumbling things. Anyway, I still want to hear him.

New Kid In Town
06-03-2017, 09:01 AM
UTW - Go to the Eagles Appreciation fan FB page. A link was posted to win free tickets the the shows which includes the hotel but not the cost of air fare.

buffyfan145
06-03-2017, 10:56 AM
About a possible new album I actually heard rumors about it a couple weeks ago on my local classic rock station QFM96. They air a national program on Sunday nights where it's various classic rock bands live in concert and the host was talking about the new Classic East/West shows and was teasing who the new additions would be for the show for the Eagles (this was before Deacon and Vince were confirmed) and then said there was rumors of a new Eagles album. I hadn't seen this posted anywhere else online before or since, but it was the first time I heard that. Again I don't have a problem with them touring anymore after learning more and all the interviews, and a lot of other classic rock, country, and other genre bands have continued on after a member passed away so it's their decision and a lot still want to see them including some of my family and friends. I've just accepted it and am ok with it now.

Dawn
06-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Don Henley and Jackson Browne confirmed they were both estranged from Glenn Frey when he passed away in January 2016.

Dawn
06-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Delilah - First off, I want to clarify my statement as to the band moving on. I of course did not mean them not moving on with their lives. What I meant to say was I objected to them moving forward as a group and calling themselves the Eagles. I worded it the wrong way and for that I apologize.

Obviously, you and others disagree with those of us who feel continuing and calling themselves the Eagles is fine. I understand that. However, I don't feel I am being sanctimonious when I say I object with the band continuing and calling themselves that. I have stated it before and will say it again - I would love to see Don, Tim and Joe touring together and in fact would pay to see a show like that. Of course they can do whatever they like. It dose not mean I have to be happy with it. I feel it tarnishes the legacy of the band.

As for filming these concerts series, I think it is sad to think they would film these and not have filmed at least one show of the HOTE Tour. And, yes, I know WHY they would film these Classic shows.

I really believe there is a good chance there will be filming and recording of this event and the bands performing. See link below.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/paul-mccartney-oct-15-2016-desert-trip-ca-2-dvd-627408953

New Kid In Town
06-03-2017, 12:11 PM
[quote=Dawn;358712]Don Henley and Jackson Browne confirmed they were both estranged from Glenn Frey when he passed away in January 2016.

Dawn - You are correct. Don stated it when he gave the interview with the Washington Post in Dec. 2016 for the KCH. In that interview he indicated Jackson said the same thing to him. Don stated he had been estranged from Glenn for years and Jackson stated to Don he had too. I remember being shocked/surprised when I saw that in print.

Last interview I saw, Don vaguely mentioned filming the show so I would not be surprised to see a DVD and CD from the show.

BTW - If anyone is interested, my local Classic Radio Station here in the NY/NJ Metro area (Q104.3) will be giving away free tickets to Classic East on Monday.

DaBoz
06-03-2017, 12:15 PM
I just saw this on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

"Has anyone else read that The Eagles are adding two new members to continue performing and touring?

The two new members will be Deacon Frey, Glenn's 24 year old son and (drum roll)... Vince Gill...

I know Vince has the high tenor voice, and his guitar
chops take a backseat to no one...

This might be interesting..."

Any thoughts???

EagleInKansas
06-03-2017, 12:16 PM
We hadn't heard that. Are there any performances scheduled with this "new Eagles?"

DaBoz
06-03-2017, 12:27 PM
We hadn't heard that. Are there any performances scheduled with this "new Eagles?"

Not a clue if it's even true... like I said, just saw it on another forum.....

sodascouts
06-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Don stated he had been estranged from Glenn for years
I guess Don was like the uncle your dad hadn't been comfortable hanging out with since that awkward argument at cousin Hazel's wedding 10 years ago.

chaim
06-03-2017, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=New Kid In Town;358714]Don stated he had been estranged from Glenn for years[//QUOTE]
I guess he was like the uncle your dad hadn't been comfortable hanging out with since that awkward argument at cousin Hazel's wedding 10 years ago.

:hilarious:

Delilah
06-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Oh no. I have a feeling this will generate controversy and great debate. I can see the new name now: Eagles 3.0...

Lol, kidding aside DaBoz, what do guitar forumites think about Vince Gill? Has there been discussion about Deacon's playing? The jury is still out on whether Vince and Deacon will be actual members, honorary members, special guests, temporary additions, etc.

Thank you for starting a new topic btw. The 2 new guys probably should have their own thread.

DaBoz
06-03-2017, 02:00 PM
what do guitar forumites think about Vince Gill? Has there been discussion about Deacon's playing? .

While I'm a huge Vince Gill fan, I've probably seen him 5 or 6 times, it just seems wrong to me for him to perform Eagles tunes.... :shrug:

Deacon on the other hand I know nothing about!

:rockguitar:

Delilah
06-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Well Vince did cover "I Can't Tell You Why" on the Common Threads album. He's also performed "Peaceful Easy Feeling" before, too. So he's no stranger to singing Eagles songs. Still, I might have thought Bob Seger as a better fit.

There are some YT videos of Deacon performing with his father but that was years ago. Here's one from 2010 where he sings "Change the World."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2C7mN-gBvgY

Funk 50
06-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Don Henley and Jackson Browne confirmed they were both estranged from Glenn Frey when he passed away in January 2016.

It's difficult to know what that actually means. They ended up making Long Road Out Of Eden in separate studios a decade ago. Tim's recent anecdote about Glenn, "Enjoy your time away from me :grin: " kinda shows that the long lying creative tensions meant they found it difficult to enjoy each others company.

Henley's birthday invites to Joe and Tim was a surprise. So too was seeing Deacon and Vince in the Eagles publicity photos. Maybe it's a hint that, being estranged from Glenn during his final months, has affected Don's outlook and he's going to make a major effort to get on better with his band mates in future. Just idle speculation :shrug:

FreyFollower
06-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Some might feel estranged if a friend won't pal around, hang out, or go visiting with them. Although Glenn hid it well, he probably was in pain much of the time. While some folks want sympathy and to be petted and coddled when they're sick, he didn't strike me as one of those. Maybe he just didn't want to "put up a front" with his buddies, and chose to spend his time with family. This could be taken as being aloof by those unaware of the seriousness of his condition.

Funk 50
06-04-2017, 09:00 AM
A little more reading, chiefly about Vince.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/eagles-touring-with-vince-gill.1832743/

There's one comment that suggests the Eagles are a worthy support act for Vince /:shock:

Can anybody offer a Vince Gill top ten that they'd like to share? taking into account that the Eagles repertoire already includes a good number of classic country ballads such as; Tequila Sunrise, The Best Of My Love, Lying Eyes, Desperado, New Kid In Town, The Sad Cafe, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Saturday Night, Take It To The Limit, Ol' 55 plus regular slowies I Can't Tell You Why, Wasted Time, The Last Resort and Waiting In The Weeds.

I see all the positives about Gill but I'm yet to hear any music from him of substantial merit :shrug:

scottside
06-04-2017, 09:52 AM
A little more reading, chiefly about Vince.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/eagles-touring-with-vince-gill.1832743/

There's one comment that suggests the Eagles are a worthy support act for Vince /:shock:

Can anybody offer a Vince Gill top ten that they'd like to share? taking into account that the Eagles repertoire already includes a good number of classic country ballads such as; Tequila Sunrise, The Best Of My Love, Lying Eyes, Desperado, New Kid In Town, The Sad Cafe, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Saturday Night, Take It To The Limit, Ol' 55 plus regular slowies I Can't Tell You Why, Wasted Time, The Last Resort and Waiting In The Weeds.

I see all the positives about Gill but I'm yet to hear any music from him of substantial merit :shrug:

I don't know a lot of non-country songs Vince has done, but I am aware of "I'm Almost Ready" which is a great rocker from when he was with Pure Prairie League. I'm pretty sure he wrote it in addition to singing it.

buffyfan145
06-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Most of his songs are from the 90s country era, which was influenced a lot by the Eagles country-rock sound (which a lot of today's country still is). Most of his top hits were slower songs, but he had a few that were fast. Plus he was in the band Pure Prairie League, but it was after they had their hit "Aimee". But these are the songs he's known for (he's also done backing vocals and guitar solos for multiple artists in various genres, and does bluegrass as well):

- "Go Rest High on that Mountain"

- "I Still Believe in You"

- "One More Last Chance"

- "Whenever You Come Around"

- "Liza Jane"

- "Don't Let Our Love Start Slippin Away"

- "What the Cowgirls Do"

- "High Lonesome Sound"

- His cover of "I Can't Tell You Why" (also plays Glenn's guitar solo)

- "The Heart Won't Lie" (Duet with Rebe McEntire)

maryc2130
06-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Some might feel estranged if a friend won't pal around, hang out, or go visiting with them. Although Glenn hid it well, he probably was in pain much of the time. While some folks want sympathy and to be petted and coddled when they're sick, he didn't strike me as one of those. Maybe he just didn't want to "put up a front" with his buddies, and chose to spend his time with family. This could be taken as being aloof by those unaware of the seriousness of his condition.

I don't know about Glenn, but I remember reading somewhere that, in recent years, Don didn't socialize at all when he toured, even to go out to dinner after a show. He just wanted to stay in the hotel room and rest his voice.

maryc2130
06-04-2017, 10:26 AM
This article was in the local paper today about brand vs. band:

http://www.capecodtimes.com/entertainmentlife/20170604/classic-bands-do-musicians-or-brand-matter-most?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GHM_Daily_NL%20_Cape_Cod_Times&utm_content=GTDT_CCT

Surprisingly, it doesn't mention the Eagles at all, but I thought it was interesting considering the discussion here.

Soda, I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong place. Feel free to move it, or I will move it if you want, but I just thought it was apropos to the discussion here.

Dawn
06-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Thanks Mary, really enjoyed the article!

shunlvswx
06-04-2017, 12:54 PM
When I get home from church, I will post links.

Like Joe is the best guitarist ever in rock, Vince is the best in country music. He and Joe will bring down the house together.

Delilah
06-04-2017, 12:55 PM

I would be surprised if they did an album. However, I question if there would be a big market even with Glenn in the line-up. The days of huge album sales are long gone. Their best chance of decent album sales at this point would be to go more country and/or country rock. That's where younger audiences are and where the buzz is aside from genres like hip-hop, pop, and EDM. When I was growing up, everyone's parents/grandparents listened to country and the younger people listened to rock. It's all reversed now. Wasn't Cass County a lot more successful than Inside Job? LROOE did as well as it did, imo, b/c it was marketed as a country-tinged album. "How Long", a classic country rocker, did much better than the more standard rock song, "Get Over It" when they were 15 years younger. So Vince Gill could turn out to be an asset after all.

A new album could mean a chance some previously unreleased Glenn songs would be included.

Funk 50
06-04-2017, 12:56 PM
This article was in the local paper today about brand vs. band:

http://www.capecodtimes.com/entertainmentlife/20170604/classic-bands-do-musicians-or-brand-matter-most?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GHM_Daily_NL%20_Cape_Cod_Times&utm_content=GTDT_CCT

Surprisingly, it doesn't mention the Eagles at all, but I thought it was interesting considering the discussion here.

Thaks from me too, thanks MaryC.

If the Eagles aren't deemed worthy of a mention in a band v brand topic, they're more insignificant than I'm willing to concede :?

I'm no country fan but I enjoyed Don's Cass County album. I'd like to think that Glenn's departure and Trump's arrival will inspire a new Eagles album. It might slow down the bands slide into obscurity. :)

Delilah
06-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire approve of the Eagles continuing

http://www.wjbdradio.com/music-news/2017/06/02/earth-wind-fire-approve-of-the-eagles-decision-to-keep-performing-its-gonna-be-healing
Thank you for that link, Philh. I especially like what Verdine White said:

"I think it's gonna be great for them...I think it's gonna really be, probably, healing for Don [Henley] [and] for Joe Walsh," Verdine tells ABC Radio. "And I think it's good that they're getting out and playing. Y'know, they're kinda going through what we went through with Maurice."

He adds, "People ask, 'How do you deal with that?' And it's nothing you get over -- you just honor it through doing the music."

Funk 50
06-04-2017, 01:18 PM
I thought Earth, Wind And Fire were a surprising inclusion to the bill that maybe had something to do with them being a band that have survived the death of their undoubted leader, Maurice White. I believe they're a great live act though.

I don't think any EWF members have, like the Eagles, had solo careers, apart from Philip Bailey. I'm not even sure if PB is still in Earth Wind And Fire.

I believe that Phil Collins and Genesis created some friction in EWF when they hired them on a few occasions in the early 80s and paid them a lot more money than they were getting from Maurice. :eyebrow:

Delilah
06-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Thank you for the clarification. I understand there are fans who don't want to see the band continue as the "Eagles." I understand that on a personal level some fans feel it tarnishes the band's legacy for them. I don't understand how it tarnishes the band's legacy as a whole for the masses after a myriad of incidents like Felder's firing, his book, the revelations from the documentary like Glenn's statement there would be no reunion/HFO unless he was paid more than his band mates, the Kennedy Honors snub, the perception of how some band members were treated, etc. These are the types of occurrences that have brought a lot of criticism of the band. Continuing on after a founding member has died just like so many other bands have done is small potatoes in terms of tarnishing its legacy.

Delilah
06-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Buffyfan's list has some good selections. I would add "When I Call Your Name" which is a mournful, plaintive ballad that earned Vince his 1st Grammy and put his name on the map. I remember some Pure Prairie League but I knew nothing of Vince Gill back then.

Another duet with Reba McEntire, "Oklahoma Swing" is one that I've always liked. He has a nifty guitar solo in that the one, It's upbeat and fast-paced but it's not country rock. It's more of Bob Wills-type country. It does show another side of Vince's vocals.

Vince sings a couple of songs I really like; one I absolutely love. He's quite talented. But as far my favorite country artists, he would not make my top 10. I'm not sure he would make my top 20. There was a point in the 90s when I thought he was recycling the same kind of sound. I would say he is a rather safe, benign choice by the Eagles (this is not a criticism; it's probably smart).

Dawn
06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Not sure many people know Vince Gill sang on Don Henley's recent solo album Cass County.

http://theboot.com/don-henley-vince-gill-dolly-parton/

Dawn
06-04-2017, 03:37 PM
The more I think about it the more I believe the Eagles will record and film their live performance at The Classic. Down the road perhaps a solo album by Deacon to honor his dad's music backed by Eagles and special guests. The commercial opportunities are Azoff's forte.