PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening in Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

sodascouts
06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, guys! I'm a "finalist" but it's certainly not in the bag. I guess we'll see how it goes!

glenneaglesfan
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Oh gosh, I'm so far behind. Congratulations to all of you who have graduated or have children who have graduated. My two sons are still travelling, but due back in two weeks time, coming home to an empty house while their parents grab a few days holiday in the Isles of Scilly.

Soda, I hope the job interview goes well, if it's what you want.

Monique, so good to hear from you again!

EF, If you are reading this thread, welcome back from me!

Work in our garden is progressing well, but sadly Eagles tickets are out of the question this year, so I'll have to read the reviews and suffer the envy!

Prettymaid
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
GEF, I started a garden thread partly with you in mind! It's the Tend My Garden thread, and I would love to see some more pictures as the work progresses!

Mrs Frey
06-11-2009, 06:49 AM
I have something to report for a change. My chicken flew the coop! Rosalind is on a two day school excursion to Canberra and is away two nights (last night was the first night). She's only ever stayed at her grandmother's place before. It's a weird feeling when this happens for the first time - and she is still only ten.

I don't have children (I have to find the man first :roll:), but I can understand how you feel, FP. I was very much a homebody as a child, and my parents couldn't help feeling sad when I was away from home for any length of time, especially since I was the only child. I was 12 years old when I spent two nights away from home, on a prefect camp in my final year of Primary School (grades R to 7 in South Africa).

Mrs Frey
06-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Monique, so good to hear from you again!

Kate, it's great to hear from you too! I've been thinking about you a lot, lately, and hoping that everything is well. I know you're going through a difficult time.

sodascouts
06-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, the interview went OK, but there were a few questions that threw me a bit. It's out of my hands now. I guess we'll see!

EagleLady
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Good Luck Nancy, I hope you get it.

melrose
06-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Best of luck, Nancy!

Glennsallnighter
06-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Yes Soda, I've noticed you have been rather quiet of late. I hope the job interview goes well. You have so much to offer any teaching department and would be an asset to them. Good Luck.

Willie, you really are a 'softie' with those critters. I hope your new one is happy with you. I presume you have already named something 'Timmy'. Otherwise would that be a suggestion. Our latest and only foray into pets has been the purchase of 4 goldfish (GF!!) about 2 weeks ago. I suggested calling them Glenn :heart: Don, Timmy and Joe, but I'm glad I didn't now as 2 of them died (we followed feeding instructions but they were inaccurate, also Chris overdid the feeding). They have now been replaced and we have 4 functioning goldfish. I can spend hours watching them on occasions.

Lou, I suppose your walk plans were indeed slightly 'interrupted'. But for a very good reason. I hope you and your mom manage to get it done at a time that suits you both.

Kate, delighted to see you popping in even if only for a short while. Enjoy Sicily

Julie, I'm sure it feels very strange to be without Rosalind for these few days but I'm sure she's having a great time and will have loads of interesting stories to recount on her return.

(Its been a while for me too! I HOPE I haven't left anyone out here :pray:)

Brooke
06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
So, I was in one of my local Walmart's last night and I thought of the Rolling Stone t-shirts. Found them! I looked them over and found one with the Eagles on it (only one style-the boat pic), but decided not to get it. I really don't wear men's style t-shirts much, and I wasn't sure about wearing one with half naked young men holding beer cans on it! I left the area, but got to thinking, and then decided to have another look. Why not? Only $10. So, yup. I got mine!

When I got home, I noticed the tag for 10 free issues of RS mag! Added bonus! :thumbsup:

EagleLady
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
:twisted: That's the fun part Brooke, you get to wear some very fine Half naked young men to bed

luvthelighthouse
06-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Never looked at it like half dressed young men... so what, that wasn't appropriate wear when dropping off a child at a six year olds birthday party? Oppsss, my bad! :hilarious:

Brooke
06-12-2009, 04:42 PM
:hilarious:

Molly
06-13-2009, 10:40 AM
So, I was in one of my local Walmart's last night and I thought of the Rolling Stone t-shirts. Found them! I looked them over and found one with the Eagles on it (only one style-the boat pic), but decided not to get it. I really don't wear men's style t-shirts much, and I wasn't sure about wearing one with half naked young men holding beer cans on it! I left the area, but got to thinking, and then decided to have another look. Why not? Only $10. So, yup. I got mine!

When I got home, I noticed the tag for 10 free issues of RS mag! Added bonus! :thumbsup:

I see a trip to Walmart in my future.

ticky
06-13-2009, 01:39 PM
OMG! WILLIE!! today's the big day isnt it? Good luck! I hope your beautiful backyard survives the Hooten-Nanny (so to speak.. Pun TOTALLY intended hehehe)

MikeA
06-13-2009, 05:00 PM

If you think YOU have trouble wearing a shirt with a pic of half naked men on it, what do you think I feel about it <LOL.>

Troubadour
06-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I dunno, Mike... lots of females gazing longingly at your chest can't be too much of a hardship... ;)

TimothyBFan
06-15-2009, 10:09 AM
THANK GOD THAT'S OVER!!!

It was great!!! We had so much fun and had about 175 or more turn out. My husband says a sign of a great party is when the keg is gone (it ran out in less than 4 hours and we had to make 2 more beer runs!) and you find articles of clothing in the yard the morning after (we did?!) Actually it was only jackets kids had shed when it warmed up a bit after the rain (that had us panicking during set up Saturday morning!)

The bands were absolutely awesome!!!! Brandon and Brittany dedicated their version of Best Of My Love to me! :hilarious: They sounded great and I can't help thinking of the interview with Don where he said that he wished they had done it differently when they recorded it. Brandon has such a soulful voice and it just sounds fantastic that way.

Anyways, post everyone was gone around 2 or 3 in the morning but the band and the kids were still hanging in there till about 5 yesterday morning. Larry & I got about 3 hours of sleep and then got up and started taking the tents, tables and chairs down and picking up trash. And the food cleanup after roasters and crockpots had been going for hours---Ugh!!! But we are slowly getting back to normal.

Here's a few pictures.

Dillon announcing the first band Last Call.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/022-1.jpg

One of our best friends Chris who is the drummer (and father of the lead singer for the other band!).
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/035-1.jpg

Brittany Lee (She's going to be huge some day!!!) and Brandon-lead singers of the 409's.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/059-1.jpg

The 409's
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/083-1.jpg

Brittany Lee and my daughter Katie and her friend Shawn.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/087-1.jpg

TimothyBFan
06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Here's some of the crowd
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/021-1.jpg

Our best friends Chris and Amy (at this point I don't think it was so much a dance as Chris making sure Amy doesn't fall!)
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/068-1.jpg

Brooke
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow! 175 people? You guys really know how to throw a party! I'm sure you are glad it's all over and can move on with real life!

Congrats again to the graduate!

sodascouts
06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Didn't get the job, but honestly, I can see why they didn't pick me. I was thinking even during the interview that I didn't quite fit the profile of what they were looking for, based on their questions.

EagleLady
06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Awww, that sucks Nancy.

Glennsallnighter
06-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Didn't get the job, but honestly, I can see why they didn't pick me. I was thinking even during the interview that I didn't quite fit the profile of what they were looking for, based on their questions.

Awww Nancy..... I'm sorry! :hug: I know what effort you are putting into this, I hope the right position comes along soon.

Freypower
06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Nancy, I am sorry to hear that. I know you would have given it your best shot.

ticky
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Sorry about you not getting the job Nancy. I hope you find something even better soon!

Today is Sarah's kindergarten graduation. It should be a lot of fun to watch, but my baby will be in grade school next year, kind of hard to imagine for me. I'll try and take lots of pictures. My MIL gave me a wonderful camera with a really good zoom lens so I should be able to get some good shots. After grad we're going to Papa's Pizza which is a lot like Pizza Planet from Toy Story (not themed but wild with lots of toys and games etc..) Her choice, not mine.. oh well *G* should make for some fun action shots LOL

Troubadour
06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear that, Nancy - hope you're not too disappointed. Keep on chugging! You'll find something that suits you perfectly, I'm sure.

Have fun, Rhonda! ;) Hope Sarah has a great time.

Prettymaid
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Nancy, you know that everything happens for a reason. It just wasn't meant to be.

Ticky, have fun today and BTW, your MIL rocks! Cruises, cameras...

DonFan
06-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry about the job, Nancy, but if you had a feeling it wasn't right for you, it is probably for the best. I am sure a new opportunity will come your way soon, one that will be a better fit for you.

ticky
06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Ticky, have fun today and BTW, your MIL rocks! Cruises, cameras...

TELL me about it!! She da BOMB!

here's a few pics of Sarah's big graduation day..

last day waiting for the bus with mom
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/sarahgrad1.JPG

The whole class singing a song and signing along with it.
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/sarahgrad2.JPG

Thats my girl *G*
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/sarahgrad4.JPG

Sitting in her kindergarten classroom chair for the very last time
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/sarahgrad9.JPG

After grad, Grandpa took everyone out for hot fudge sundaes!
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/sarahgrad12.JPG

WHEW! the school years over..:partytime: NOW what?:fear:

Glennsallnighter
06-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Awww Rhonda!Those pics of Sarah are adorable. She really is a little cutie. I hope she has enjoyed her kindergarten year and that she will bring back many happy memories. Sounds like a yummy celebration afterwards

Peekaboo
06-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Nancy, sorry to hear about the job. I agree with PM that things happen for a reason. You never know, this could all be setting you up for something even greater.

Rhonda, those pics are so lovely. Sarah is so adorable. Congrats to her on graduating.

Koala
06-17-2009, 09:58 AM
ticky, lovely phothos!
Soda, sorry to hear that about the job.

EagleLady
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Rhonda, such a lovely photo of Sarah, she is adorable

Brooke
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
ticky, what cute pics! Thanks for sharing and congrats to Sarah!

So, is your school year just now done? Ours ended May 20th!

MikeA
06-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Nancy,

Lady, I just hate those "profile based" interviews. Years ago, I was the Programming Manager at a Data Center and it was my responsibility to identify the need for another programmer and then interview applicants and select someone to fill the position.

I never hired based on a specific level of expertise in the area that we had the immediate need for. That "need" would eventually be resolved and then what would I be left with in the programmer?

Instead, I always interviewed with an emphasis on finding someone with the right aptitude for the general needs of the Data Center and with an eye open to what I thought the adaptability was of each applicant and hired based upon mainly those two characteristics.

I happily say that I was never disappointed with any of the programmers that I hired.

With that said, because of the political situation and the percentages that employees fell into, there were times when someone was hired NOT because we needed them, but because they fell into a certain "profile" that had nothing to do with ability. We had as a company to employ a certain number of people over 55. We had to have a certain percentage of people in certain minority groups. This caused a lot of problems because those employees always KNEW they were hired for those purposes and seldom gave much effort. I had to fire two such people after a couple of years of documenting their lack of ability and incentive.

I only had to fire ONE employee that I selected and that was because he became addicted to a street drug and was arrested one night for armed robbery when he broke into a Drug Store stoned out of his blinking mind! We could not have a felon in our employment roster. Such a shame too because he was a top notch programmer.

But Profiling such as I gather from what you said usually means a short term job. Was that indeed the situation?

tbs fanatic
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Lovely pics of Sarah - she is a sweetie. Sorry to hear about the job Nancy - I'm sure an even better job will be trucking your way soon.

eaglesvet
06-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Hey, I've missed quite a bit lately! Willie, you have been very busy! A new dog...he looks to be a cutie, and I'm sure has found a great home with you! And 'Rufus' suits him to a 'T'. Your family certainly knows how to throw a party, from the looks of things! You must have very understanding neighbors...or else you invited the whole d#*%n street! Best of luck to your son in the future.

Nancy, too bad about the job. I'm sure something better will come along.

Rhonda, one more milestone under your (and Sarah's) belt! Too cute that they learned to sign that song! Tomorrow, Graham graduates from 4th grade...and then I will have no more elementary schoolers. I will have no one to walk to and from school any more :-(... Hmm, I wonder if Ethan realizes he now will have his 'little' brother tagging along with him to and from the middle school next year?!? I guess it'll just be me and the dog making the rounds after they leave the house, huh?

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the sympathy guys, but I don't think the job was right for me anyway.

Mike, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I simply was trying to say that I think they were looking for a person with a different background than I had regarding technical writing, so I wasn't really what they were looking for. While I have taught technical writing, my focus has not been in that area. The thing that is puzzling to me is that they knew that when they decided to interview me, so I'm not sure why they bothered.

Oh well, as I said, not meant to be.

MikeA
06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Ahhh. I see. Well, they probably had to interview a certain number before making a final decision....who knows?

sodascouts
06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Perhaps it is for the best. While it was more lucrative than a teaching job, I'm not sure I would have been happy there from what I saw.

Prettymaid
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Perhaps it is for the best. While it was more lucrative than a teaching job, I'm not sure I would have been happy there from what I saw.

Then it's definitely for the best.

sodascouts
06-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, I've had quite a busy past couple of days! I decided to drive down to Texas to visit my family rather than fly, and I dropped by my friend's in Mississippi on the way. I wound up leaving late and literally driving all night. Now I'm here and tomorrow we go to New Orleans to see the last Fleetwood Mac show of the tour! So exciting! On Tuesday... off to Texas. Whew!

Troubadour
06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Wow, sounds like a great few days, Soda. I'm jealous! Have a safe trip and have a blast at the show. The last one of the tour should be something special.

Brooke
06-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Oh man, you are such a traveler! I'm :jealous:

Have fun!

Mrs Frey
06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Well, I've missed a bunch as usual.

Thanks for your photos, TBF and Ticky - they are all lovely.

Soda, I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but if you didn't like what you saw, then it's probably for the best. Travel safely!

I've been trying to be brave today, but I lost a good female friend over the weekend, which shattered me. We knew each other for about 10 years - I attended her 60th birthday party in January, which is the last time I saw her. I will miss her lovely letters, which she often wrote - she always had such lovely things to say. She was a beautiful person.

TimothyBFan
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
MF--Very sorry to hear about your friend. Stay strong and remember all the good times you had with her!

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Soda! Enjoy your vacation and your concert. I know you love Fleetwood Mac and Stevie. I'm sure you'll have a great review when you get back.

MF Sorry again to hear about your friends passing, you have been unlucky recently in losing a few friends. Hopefully things will brighten up after this, :hug:

Well I'm BBF marking exams again with the added pressure of wanting to get next weeks deadline met by this weekend, so that i can go off and enjoy the Eagles gigs next week with a clear conscience. So bear with me if I don't get to post every day! I'm thinking of you all.

Koala
06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
MF, I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Mrs Frey
06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks TBF, GA and Koala for your empathy. It's much appreciated.

GA, good luck with your exam paper marking. I know that it's a hang of a task!

EasyFeeling
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry, not much time to read here :-( I wanted to say bye... I'm almost on the way to Majorca for a few days vacation. When I'm back it's not long anymore until the concert. :partytime:

Molly
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
MF -I'm sorry for your loss. You've had a rough time lately and you're in my thoughts.

sodascouts
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Monique, I'm terribly sorry about your friend. You're in my prayers.

Mrs Frey
06-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry, not much time to read here :-( I wanted to say bye... I'm almost on the way to Majorca for a few days vacation. When I'm back it's not long anymore until the concert. :partytime:

Enjoy Majorca, EF! We miss you, girlfriend. I'm sure you must be bursting in anticipation of the concert!

Mrs Frey
06-24-2009, 03:53 AM
Molly and Soda, thank you so much for your kind words of empathy. It's hard for me, but I'm still much more privileged than SO many people, and I have a lot to be thankful for. One of my privileges is to be able to connect with all of you, which is something I try to make time for everyday, and which I really enjoy. Thank you all for your friendship. :grouphug:

Koala
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Have a great time on Majorca!
I hope we see us at the concert! :)

sodascouts
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM

First Majorca, then the Eagles! Sounds like you're going to have quite a time, Michaela!

TimothyBFan
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
BIG extended weekend here! Take Rufus into the vet's tomorrow to get an assessment of how he's doing with the treatment so far and leaving him there for a couple of days (I'm feeling like a very guilty parent right now) because we are heading out of town late tomorrow night for Bloomington for the IU Freshman Orientation. Hope to check out the campus a bit and maybe get to see the dorm he will be in since we already have his dorm assignment.

Hope everyone has a great weekend if I don't get on here again till we are back.

MikeA
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Hopin' your exploration of the Campus is rewarding. You shouldn't worry about Rufus...he's in good hands and coming home to pick him up is always special.

Brooke
06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Have a great time Willie!

Troubadour
06-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Enjoy, Willie!

MF, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts are with you.

We had some sad news the day before yesterday. My grandparents phoned to tell us that their nextdoor neighbour, Jim, had passed away. He was a really lovely man. In his mid-70s (the same age as my grandparents), and he was always chatty and willing to do anything for anybody. He loved animals and he was an avid gardener. He lived alone, and he was always outside, enjoying the fresh air and tending to his plants. I'll miss seeing him and chatting to him over the fence when I visit my grandparents.

On top of that, today is the one-year anniversary of my Uncle John's death. It's hard to believe he's been gone for so long already.

For those of you who have kept M (Uncle John's son) in your thoughts, thank you. He has left hospital, and he is back at home with his mum - apparently on different tablets. To be quite honest, I am worried. Just because he seems more stable now doesn't mean that he couldn't have another 'episode' or become suicidal again at any time. I guess there's not much more the hospital can do right now... I don't know. But I just pray things somehow remain on a level and that they don't take another downward turn.

Sorry for the slightly depressing tone of this post. It's also approaching my late dad's birthday (the day after I see the Eagles) and so that's on my mind, too. It's been ten years since he died.

On the positive side... I am going to see the guys on July 7th, which will be something special. Work is going very well (I feel much more comfortable and confident there than I did at the beginning) and I'm realising how rewarding it is, and how much I've learnt about disability and challenging behaviour since I've been there. Sometimes, it's only when I go home and think about certain things I've dealt with during the day that I realise quite how far I've come. I'm up for some more annual leave soon, around the concert, so I'm looking forward to that. We're planning to visit my sister next weekend, which will be great. I might get some good snaps of Jake while I'm there!

Hope everybody is geared up for a good weekend.

sodascouts
06-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Jim, and also about all the concerns and painful reminders of your losses. I know it can't be easy. Thinking of you at this difficult time!

Brooke
06-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Thinking of you here, too, Troub. Hang in there!

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Yeah Troub, I'm sorry to hear about Jim's loss. he seems to have been a lovely man and a great friend of your family. May he rest in Peace. I'm sorry too about all the other losses in your life. I will of course keep M in my thoughts and prayers. I hope being home is good for him but I can understand your anxiety.

I'm glad work is going well for you at the moment and continues to do so. It sounds like a challenging but rewarding job.

Enjoy your time off next weekend, your concert :wink: and your visit to your sister. Cant wait to see more of Jake. :hug:

Peekaboo
06-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Oh Lou, I am so sorry about Jim. Although you've lost a friend and neighbor, i'm glad that you and your grandparents had someone like him in your lives. He seemed like a wonderful person. I'm also glad M is out of the hospital. I pray and hope for the best for him as well as you and your family. You have so much going on right now with the losses and all, try to to remember to take a moment for yourself and relax a bit. It'll be helpful to get your mind off of the stresses in life. I'm glad that you have the weekend with your sis and your concert to look forward to. They'll both be a time to remember, i'm sure of it. I'm also glad to hear that work is going well for you. Take it easy, my friend :wink:. We're all here for you when you need to chat.

MF, I would like to extend my belated condolensces to you for the loss of your dear friend. I send my prayers and good thoughts your way. Like I mentioned to Lou, we are all here for you if you need us. Whenever you feel like getting away from the world, you know where to come and take your mind off things.

DonFan
06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
My apologies for not commenting on everyone's posts, but I have been out to town quite a bit lately with my mother. She was experiencing pain in her left arm and almost had another heart attack. She was admitted into the hospital and after they performed another heart catheterization on her, the Dr inserted two more stents in her heart. Now she has five altogether. In the wake of so many celebrities dying recently, I have been very nervous about her recovery, but she has been doing very well since the procedure and can actually start driving again tomorrow.

EagleLady
06-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Oh DF I am so sorry to hear about your mom, thank goodness she is on the road to recovery

Mrs Frey
06-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Enjoy, Willie!

MF, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts are with you.

We had some sad news the day before yesterday. My grandparents phoned to tell us that their nextdoor neighbour, Jim, had passed away. He was a really lovely man. In his mid-70s (the same age as my grandparents), and he was always chatty and willing to do anything for anybody. He loved animals and he was an avid gardener. He lived alone, and he was always outside, enjoying the fresh air and tending to his plants. I'll miss seeing him and chatting to him over the fence when I visit my grandparents.

On top of that, today is the one-year anniversary of my Uncle John's death. It's hard to believe he's been gone for so long already.

For those of you who have kept M (Uncle John's son) in your thoughts, thank you. He has left hospital, and he is back at home with his mum - apparently on different tablets. To be quite honest, I am worried. Just because he seems more stable now doesn't mean that he couldn't have another 'episode' or become suicidal again at any time. I guess there's not much more the hospital can do right now... I don't know. But I just pray things somehow remain on a level and that they don't take another downward turn.

Sorry for the slightly depressing tone of this post. It's also approaching my late dad's birthday (the day after I see the Eagles) and so that's on my mind, too. It's been ten years since he died.

On the positive side... I am going to see the guys on July 7th, which will be something special. Work is going very well (I feel much more comfortable and confident there than I did at the beginning) and I'm realising how rewarding it is, and how much I've learnt about disability and challenging behaviour since I've been there. Sometimes, it's only when I go home and think about certain things I've dealt with during the day that I realise quite how far I've come. I'm up for some more annual leave soon, around the concert, so I'm looking forward to that. We're planning to visit my sister next weekend, which will be great. I might get some good snaps of Jake while I'm there!

Hope everybody is geared up for a good weekend.

Troub, thank you for your empathy. It is much appreciated.

I'm so sorry about all the pain you are going through. It's sad that your grandparents' neighbour passed away, and even more sad for you that it happened so close to your Uncle John and your father's memoriams. Believe me, I know how you feel.

I hope you have a fantastic time at the Eagles concert on 7 July. You need some positivity in your life to counteract all the sadness. I'm also really pleased you are feeling so comfortable in your work.

Mrs Frey
06-29-2009, 06:43 AM
BIG extended weekend here! Take Rufus into the vet's tomorrow to get an assessment of how he's doing with the treatment so far and leaving him there for a couple of days (I'm feeling like a very guilty parent right now) because we are heading out of town late tomorrow night for Bloomington for the IU Freshman Orientation. Hope to check out the campus a bit and maybe get to see the dorm he will be in since we already have his dorm assignment.

Hope everyone has a great weekend if I don't get on here again till we are back.

TBF, I hope all goes well at the campus. I also hope Rufus's health shows some progress.

Mrs Frey
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
MF, I would like to extend my belated condolensces to you for the loss of your dear friend. I send my prayers and good thoughts your way. Like I mentioned to Lou, we are all here for you if you need us. Whenever you feel like getting away from the world, you know where to come and take your mind off things.

Thank you, Peekaboo. It's so much appreciated. :hug:

The funeral has been planned for Wednesday, so I've put in a day's leave from work. I've also been asked to sing "How Great Thou Art" in church, although it is not yet cast in stone. If I do go through with it, I hope I won't end up breaking down.

I was saddened yesterday to hear of the passing of former Miss South Africa, Monica Fairall (she carried the title in the 1970s). She was also a radio presenter in the 1990s and early 2000's, and I was an avid listener to her golden oldie radio shows. I often wrote to her during those years, requesting songs, and she was always fascinated because of my tender years and loving the classic music so much.

I once had the opportunity to speak to her on air on her show, which was a great thrill. I admired her greatly, as she was a fantastic presenter with a golden voice, and a lovely person. She had myeloma, a type of blood cancer.

I lost two friends this year to cancer, as well as my mother three years ago.

Mrs Frey
06-29-2009, 06:57 AM
My apologies for not commenting on everyone's posts, but I have been out to town quite a bit lately with my mother. She was experiencing pain in her left arm and almost had another heart attack. She was admitted into the hospital and after they performed another heart catheterization on her, the Dr inserted two more stents in her heart. Now she has five altogether. In the wake of so many celebrities dying recently, I have been very nervous about her recovery, but she has been doing very well since the procedure and can actually start driving again tomorrow.

Oh my gosh, DF, I'm so sorry your mom has not been well. I'm really glad that she is recovering, though.

Koala
06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
DF, I am sorry to hear about your mother, glad that she is recovering!

Molly
06-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Dana, thank goodness your mom is staying on top of her symptoms and getting treated as she needs it.

Here's to her long healthy future! :thumbsup:

MF -hang in there! I'll be thinking of you as you get thru this difficult week.

MikeA
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
My heart does go out to each of you ladies who are going through difficult times. I'm one of the "fortunate ones" though we have had a bit of a crisis in our family. Mother In Law took a fall last Tuesday morning while coming out of a restaurant the go to every Tuesday morning with their Sunday School Class. She's 80 years young, but is on a high level of prednisone (sp??) for various ailments she has. When she stepped off the entryway, she forgot that they had remodeled the entrance and there was no step there! She landed on her knee and it just "burst". A 6" long gash just opened up below her knee exposing all the gruesome stuff inside there! Prednisone weakens the skin with prolonged use and her's just couldn't take the abuse. They really needed to anesthetize here and fix the damage while she was out but couldn't do that because of lung conditions she has. They couldn't even give her much in the way of pain killers, local and otherwise. But the doctor in the ER was able to pull it back together with 9 double stitches. He put her in a non flexible brace to keep her from further damage while it is healing. But he wasn't that optimistic about it healing very fast if at all. It has been almost a week and there seems to be no infection, but there is a huge blister underneath the wound that really has us concerned. She's going back to the DR. today just to have everything checked. She is almost imobile with that brace on her leg and getting her up and down the stairs at her house and into the car or van is virtually impossible. Yet, she has made three trips to the DR so far and I would imagine they will be wanting to see her a couple of times a week to make sure infection isn't setting in. Oh how I wish Doctors still made house-calls!

On a brighter note, Verna and I are going to Kansas City for the 4th of July. I'm sure we'll find "something" to do in the Casinos there <LOL>. But what I'm really looking forward to doing is taking a tour of either the Zoo or Union Station.....on a SEGWAY! I'm wanting one of those things to use on the golf course and have never ridden one of them!

Oh, we're going out of town so my Son can bring a lot of his friends to our house for one blow-out of a party Friday night here. It's almost an annual thing now for that since we have the swimming pool, tolerant neighbors, and trust our Son, Zack, to not let anyone drown or burn the house down with fireworks. Last year, we had two large trashcans full of liquor containers <LOL> Our only rule is "NO GLASS" around the pool.

Whatever else they decide to do as long as it is NOT in OUR Bed is okay. These kids are nearing 30 so it's not like I'm turning loose a bunch of teenagers <sigh>.

ticky
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
I have to say Im astounded at the losses the world is feeling lately. So many good people have been taken from us. As a firm believer in Karma and natural optimist, I have to think that something wonderful is right around the corner. There's been too much hardship and pain lately.

Dana, I hope your Mom is recovering well and feels better soon.

MF, Im so sorry for the loss of your friend. God Bless.

Lou, MY best wishes for M. That's a very hard road to toe and Im sorry you and your grandparents lost such a dear friend. My parents have a similar friend, much younger, but a neighbor and like another son to them. I understand what a loss like that would mean.

Oh the brighter side, I am headed for the cabin for 5 days!! YAY! Sarah and I are driving down with my parents tomorrow and Cliff and Jenni are coming down on Friday. Cami will be joining us on Thursday (pending unforeseen events). My cousin, Susan, and her daughter, Jesse, will be there Wednesday and my SIL and Niece and her boyfriend will be there Tuesday as well.
I expect Joe, Don, Glenn and Tim there ANY DAY!! *G* (I have beds with sheets and blankets and full facilities for you guys so feel free to drop on in! <-- just in case they read this) I'll be back Sunday evening.
I'll be thinking of ya'll as I sit on a rock in the river sipping margaritas *G*

eaglesvet
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Ooh, Rhonda, have oodles of fun!

Brooke
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd been missing you, DF. I hope your Mom is doing ok. It's great that she recognized her syptoms and got help before it was too late.

Good wishes for your MIL, also, Mike. Sounds like she may have a rough road to hoe.

Ticky, have a great week!

Mrs Frey
06-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Molly and Ticky, thank you for your thoughtful and kind words. I'm feeling a bit depressed today, but thank God the sun is shining and the weather is calm after a miserable week last week. Rain and wind just depresses me more.

Mike, I'm very sorry to read about your mother-in-law's fall. I hope she will recover fully, despite the doctor's opinion. Don't American doctors make house-calls??? :shock::confused:

Ticky, have a great time at the cabin with your family. Who knows, maybe the Eagles can fly in from Ireland and make a turn there by you... :wink:

DonFan
06-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. I am sending out good thoughts to everyone who has been going through a difficult time, too.

MikeA
06-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Don't American doctors make house-calls??? :shock::confused:

I haven't heard of an "American Dr." who makes house calls since I was a kid and my Mother worked for a General Practitioner. Even back then (50 years ago) it was becoming rare for a Dr. to make a house call.

There are some agencies like HOSPIC who will come out for in-house care but you pretty much have to figure out a way to get a patient to the Dr's office or to the Emergency Room at a hospital somewhere if you want a Doctor's care!

TimothyBFan
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Lou -sorry to hear about your friend.

Mike-hope all goes well for you MIL's recovery.

DF-So glad to hear your Mom seems to be on the right track now.

Ticky--Hope you are having a great time!

We got back yesterday evening. What a busy weekend. On Saturday, in the midst of packing and organizing for the campus trip, our dear friend, Millie, who lives next door (she is really another mother/grandmother to my family) had her 90th birthday celebration. Her son and granddaughter held a huge dinner at the local restaurant then we all went back to her house for drinks and cake! I had my first "adult" drink in over 13 years for the occasion! I must admit, that daiquiri tasted better than any drink I've ever drank, especially in that 90+ degree temps we were having.

Our trip to Bloomington was a success, the classes have been scheduled, the books ordered and the t-shirts bought. 2 months from now we can move Dillon down there. All the info they throw at you in a 2 day period can be pretty overwhelming but we had it all pretty much under control anyways so it wasn't to bad. I felt for some of the parents that seemed to not have any idea of what had to be done and one couple we saw actually had no clue how much it cost to send a kid to college and wondered how they were to pay for it. WOW--where have they been? Larry said a couple times he sure is glad Dillon and I had been on top of things.

On the Rufus front... We went to pick him up at the vet's office and they said the heart and lungs are sounding good so far. To just continue to keep him relaxed and keep giving him the medicine. His next treatment has been set up for July 13th. Then we proceeded to bring him home, only to have him escape out the front door when a neighbor came over. There were 11 people, 7 on foot and 4 in vehicles tracking him around town. Darn dog wouldn't let anyone get close to him and then finally about a 1/2 hour into the chase he just walked over to me and let me put his leash on him. I set him down a minute to calm him down and then I took him home and called everyone to tell them I had him. I think he just needed a little adventure after being confined the last couple of weeks. Everyone in the neighborhood was trying to find him and worried that he might over do it and cause himself harm. He seems to still be fine. ANIMALS!!!

MikeA
06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
How well I remember that "helpless feeling" Willie, of having a dog get loose. It's a game for them, but a dangerous game! Buckwheat used to do that. She would run up to the neighbors though and run away from ME! Problem was that our neighbors are not "dog friendly" and yell at her and scare her away from them! I had nightmares about her getting run over. She had no idea what a car was!

sodascouts
06-30-2009, 10:40 AM
DF, we've spoken about your mother before and what a great lady she is. I'm sorry to hear about her health problems and wishing the best for her. She's in my prayers!

Willie, so glad to hear Rufus was found!

Good luck to all those traveling. I'm on the road myself, visiting my sister in Austin. Soon we'll be off to San Antonio for a few days, then back in Austin for the holiday weekend. I'm a busy girl! lol

Brooke
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
TBF, thank goodness Rufus was caught and didn't get hurt! I've had that happen and you just feel helpless.

Soda, you sure work hard at vacationing! I'm :jealous: Sounds fun!

Molly
06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I haven't heard of an "American Dr." who makes house calls since I was a kid and my Mother worked for a General Practitioner. Even back then (50 years ago) it was becoming rare for a Dr. to make a house call.

There are some agencies like HOSPIC who will come out for in-house care but you pretty much have to figure out a way to get a patient to the Dr's office or to the Emergency Room at a hospital somewhere if you want a Doctor's care!

On our entire medical staff, I can think of only one doctor who still makes housecalls. I think they're more social "how are you doing" calls then actual "doctoring" calls.

He showed up on my doorstep a couple of years ago to see if my son (the football player) was OK after having a mishap during a practice. The "doc" as the kids call him-also volunteers his time to be on the sidelines during varsity high school football games.

He's a rare find these days!

Molly
06-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Aaack, Willie! I've had to do the same thing on occasion. When Molly was a puppy, she used to take off all the time. Since we had just moved into our subdivision at the time, I joke now that that's how I met all the neighbors.

Molly and another lab we had (Cinder) used to try to follow the boys when the went off on their bikes. Twice a county deputy brought them back home. There they were sitting in the back of the squad like they were having the time of their lives. Thelma and Louise we called them!

Now we have a buried fence, but we've still had a couple of episodes over the years. Fence be damned!!

Glad Rufus is OK.

Have fun, Nancy and be safe!!

MikeA
06-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Many years ago, I lived in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I had Poodles back then and they were constantly digging under the fence. I could do nothing to keep them in short of NOT letting them outside at all. After one of them escaped and was killed by a motorist in the neighborhood, I had to do something.

I went to the Feed Co-op and bought a fence charger used to keep cattle in enclosed areas. I did not want to do that but I really had no choice other than getting rid of the dogs. I stretched the wire about 6" off the ground all the way around our back yard. Each of my remaining two Poodles encountered it ONE TIME. After that, just having the wire stretched was all it took. I never even had to turn the charger on after they both got nailed once.

Cruel? Maybe, but the dogs lived a full life!

EagleLady
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I would have gone about a more humane way of doing things, but that's just my opinion.

MikeA
06-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I would have gone about a more humane way of doing things, but that's just my opinion.

Wish then that you'd been there when I was faced with it. Maybe you could have come up with a better way. The only suggestion I got from everyone I asked about it was either put in a buried chain link fence or put the charger on a wire around the perimeter. I couldn't afford the fence. And the charger did work. I only wish I'd had it in place before the third Poodle got loose and was killed. The two we still had took one jolt which was harmless but scared the crap out of them, and they both lived happily ever after...and so did we.

Oh, forget those buried sonic collars. They weren't around back in the 60's.

It would not surprise me to learn that city ordinances prohibit constant use of these chargers. But even then, we would have been okay. After the first encounter, we had no need to turn the charger on again. Just the sight of the wire kept them a respectful distance from the fence.

The Poodle that was run over was the first that we got. We looked for months for one with a good pedigree that was a Toy and also Silver. The other two were culls that were going to be disposed so they were "rescue" dogs.

eaglesvet
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Goes to show that poodles are among the smartest breeds of dogs, Mike! Actually, some veterinary/animal organization has actually documented that...I can't remember if it was the AVMA or the AKC (I'm leaning towards the AKC.)

MikeA
07-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Goes to show that poodles are among the smartest breeds of dogs, Mike! Actually, some veterinary/animal organization has actually documented that...I can't remember if it was the AVMA or the AKC (I'm leaning towards the AKC.)

I wouldn't know which organization Eva but I've heard that also. I'm quite sure that anyone making that claim would have a lot of German Shepard and Lab owners demanding empirical evidence <LOL>. I can only speak to the three that I've owned. Pepe' was my first one and he really was our baby. I was amazed at what he did to please us and how quickly he "trained". He was just about perfect...toy and well adapted to indoor living, even in a 2 bedroom apartment! The other two were so less in personality and in intelligence that you would have thought them another breed entirely.

I think that with Poodles, like with people, some are "smart" and some are just fun to be around without Einsteinian characteristics <LOL>

However, Poodles were the product of a lot of "puppy mills" way back when and probably now as well. Even back in the 60's and early 70's, you could expect to pay over $150 for a Toy. Which ever size (tea-cup, toy, minature, standard), you were looking for was the "most expensive!" Sort of like looking for a used car. I'd hate to guess what they sell for today. They are pretty high maintenance dogs.

Dang, I'd love to have another one! But knowing that those in the shelters are on "short time", as we did with Buckwheat, we'll likely "rescue" one if we do decide to adopt another.

Is it true that larger breeds tend to live shorter lives than the smaller breeds?

TimothyBFan
07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
On the poodle thing--our vet breed the large poodles and shows them. They are amazing! Here in town, they have a summer park program 2 days a week, and Dr. Hans showed his poodles and I took the kids up to see it. They sat on the tables and let the kids brush them, brush their teeth and then did tricks for the kids. They would start and stop on demand and listened to every word Dr. Hans told them. There is always at least one of them behind the desk at the office when you go in. I'm not particularly fond of the breed but they are really great dogs from what I hear.

And Mike I've always heard that large breed dogs have a shorter life span also. But I also know I had a 95 pound Chow Chow that lived over 13 years a few years back. Are animals always seem to live long lives--that's why Larry calls this the house of eternal life for the animals. :hilarious:

Back on topic a bit here. Looking forward to a 3 day weekend for the holiday weekend. No big plans here (I'm glad after the last month where every weekend we had something going on). Larry and the kids will be going to the Dylan/Nelson/Mellencamp concert Saturday night. I will be staying home alone :thumbsup: :partytime:. That doesn't happen often so I always really love it when it does. A good book and I will be all kinds of happy. Probably a good thing also because of the fireworks, Pickles doesn't like them at all and don't know yet about Rufus. Might have to crank up some music or something to drown the noises out.

eaglesvet
07-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Mike, definitely true that small breeds of dogs live longer than large and giant breeds. A toy or mini poodle might live to 16-18 yrs, while a Lab might make it to 13-14, while a Great Dane might make it to 8-9 yrs. (Disclaimer: These ages are typical for a healthy dog of the breed in question; your results may vary. :smile: )

Freypower
07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, our results varied. Our Akita was 15 when we had to have him put down.

Molly
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Wish then that you'd been there when I was faced with it. Maybe you could have come up with a better way. The only suggestion I got from everyone I asked about it was either put in a buried chain link fence or put the charger on a wire around the perimeter. I couldn't afford the fence. And the charger did work. I only wish I'd had it in place before the third Poodle got loose and was killed. The two we still had took one jolt which was harmless but scared the crap out of them, and they both lived happily ever after...and so did we.

Oh, forget those buried sonic collars. They weren't around back in the 60's.

I can totally understand what you went thru. Good for you for finding a way to keep your dogs safe.

We have the buried "sonic" collars/fence. We checked out a neighbor's before we decided to get one. I was worried that it would "hurt" the dogs. So, I made my husband put the collar on and test it out. :hilarious:

It startles the dogs more than anything. Every dog we've trained with the buried fence (walking the perimeter about 1000X) has only been shocked once or twice. After that they keep a respectable distance from it.

Another neighbor tsk'd tsk'd us for having it saying we were cruel. This from a peson who let her schnauzer's run the neighborhood including running in and along the road. Right before Christmas, one of her dogs was hit and killed by another neighbor.

A few weeks ago, they put in a buried/sonic fence.

MikeA
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I think the sonic vibrations are a great device Molly. I don't know what the percentage of success is with them, but I would imagine that it is very high.

With Buckwheat, we didn't have to worry about it. Times change and with the times, a better financial situation. We put in a fence to isolate a large part of our back yard and Buckwheat had all the room she needed to exercise without having us having to worry about her getting out. Her exercise included the swimming pool too! She loved the water. I had to be careful diving off the board. She would beat me into the water and then try to drag me out! If we were swimming....you could bet she would be in the water also.

When she was a puppy, she did escape a few times when strangers would leave the gate open (roofers and telephone repair...other service people).

She was a strange one. She for some reason would never attempt to escape through the garage door. Probably because more times then not, when she went out that door, she was headed for the Vet <LOL> But that didn't hold true of the front door! She had that one timed perfectly and would bolt as soon as a visitor came inside while the hydraulic closer was pulling the storm door closed. She made it out a few times and then the chase was on!

EasyFeeling
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Sadly not much time to read... just wanted to say I'm back from Majorca. We had a good time, weather was geat, the sea was so warm I felt like I was sitting in a bath tub LOL much too warm.

Now I'm looking forward to July 16th :partytime:

Koala
07-06-2009, 12:34 AM
EF, Welcome back! Nice to hear you had a great time! :)

Now I'm looking forward to July 16th :partytime: I also!:)

ticky
07-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Hey everybody,
We're back and I have to say, the weather couldnt have been better and the company as well, and, well, of course, the cabin and the mountains were beautiful.
My parents dear friend and neighbor came up on Friday afternoon. We'd invited him as his family was out of town till tonight. He told us he had been diagnosed on Wednesday with terminal pancreatic cancer. He hadnt slept for two days was was distraught. We talked a lot and he finally slept By the time he left he was feeling pretty up and positive. We've known a few friends and relatives who've lived more then the projected 6 months with this type of cancer and he's young, 51, and in very good shape otherwise so we hold out some hope. He has two young children and a wife and we will always be there for him and them. It was just a very big shock. If you have a moment, please send a quick prayer, a good thought, some positive karma out there for him and his family. Thanks

TimothyBFan
07-06-2009, 08:22 AM
First off just want to say welcome back to the board Ticky---I've really been missing you but I know you are extremely busy this time of year!

Second--your friend is definitely in my thoughts and prayers as are his family, especially his young children. That d*mn C word just makes me ill every time I hear of someone being diagnosed with it. As I've said before, it is the ugliest thing on earth in my opinion. Strength to your family in helping your friends get thru this trying time!

sodascouts
07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
He's in my prayers too. How awful for him and his family.

And welcome home, EF!

I had a wonderful fourth of July with my sister and her family in Austin. We went to a local festival during the day where I got an Eagle henna tattoo (I told the henna guy "American Eagle" for Independence Day, but it served a dual purpose lol). It had lots of things for the kiddies to do, and my two-year-old niece who loves horses was especially thrilled with the pony ride. I took lots of photos of her riding around, and then discovered that at one point she was riding by a sign saying "Fry's Fun Farm" which apparently is the name of the company that ran the pony ride. LOL! That night my brother-in-law and his brothers put on their own fireworks show. My sister's house is just outside the city limits of Austin, so they were able to get away with it. They really went all-out. It was fabulous!

The only bad part was the fact that on Sunday morning I had an epileptic seizure for the first time in over two years. Sucks but oh well! At least nobody but family was around, and they'd seen it before so they didn't get freaked out. It didn't ruin the weekend for me or anything.

Back in Houston now! Today, I'm taking a day trip with an old friend from grade school to our hometown, Beaumont. Neither of us have been for years (unless you could just driving through it on our way to somewhere else). Hopefully it won't be too depressing. ;)

MikeA
07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
That's a real BAD TRIP with your friend Rhonda. Very sorry to hear of it of course. Is he a neighbor where you live or where the others in your family live?

Verna and I spent the weekend up in Kansas City. It's just not the same for me as it used to be. I'm pretty burned out on Casinos and spend virtually the entire weekend in the hotel room watching old movies. No fun to play table games and video poker machines with rules so badly in favor of the House that the player has virtually no chance of winning. I'm an "Advantage Player" at both Blackjack and Video Poker and just can't bring myself to play games where I can't get 100% return at a game. 100%, by the way, just means that I have a 50/50 chance of coming out ahead.

But it wasn't a total loss for me. Besides losing only $30 in VP machines which in itself is a "win" considering the pay tables I faced <LOL>, I got to see a Wonderful FireWorks display over the Missouri River. They were celebrating River Fest over the 4th weekend and Saturday night, they put on an 18.5 minute fireworks display. I watched it from the Harrah's Casino parking lot which may be 2 miles away. Just far enough that the explosions were muted while the visual on the arial fireworks were unimpeeded. It was pretty awesome!

Good to be back home though.

scottishlass
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
well lets see i got broken ankle and struggling to get around anywhere fast.

this has to be one of the most depressing things, i had done. even out does the endoscopy i had which is one, of the most tramatic expeiernces i ever had.

apart from that im wonderful lol

AmarilloByMorning
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Caution: epic whine.

Pushed myself through law school with the delusion that I could graduate and work for Disney as an in-house IP attorney. Unfortunately discovered they only outsource to major law firms, and I have no desire (or emotional capacity) to work in a corporate environment. Moved on to criminal defense, discovered I did not have the heart to deal with people hopping in and out of prisons. Now I'm treading water as an accountant and have no idea what to do with my life. I'm not a big Matrix fan, but I should've taken the blue pill and gone to art school. At least I'd be doing something I enjoyed.

Sodascouts - A friend of mine has seizures regularly; they're never fun. Glad you were around people you knew!

I wish the economy would turn, so everyone's hope would reemerge.

MikeA
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm afraid that I have to report that I have nothing to complain about. Jobwise, I fell into what I do (Program Computers) way back before they had degrees and colleges of Computer Science. Just stumbled from one job to another starting with I/O Control (balancing input files), data entry (keypunch), operating computers, programming computers, managing computer programmers and finally back to what I really like...Programming Computers.

Not the kind of computers that most of you are familiar with though. I work ONLY with Main Frame Computers (the big IBM computers), not with personal computers.

Seems like I have my health and can play golf. When I can't play golf, I can play guitars or drums <LOL>

Life is good. Thankful for every day and look forward to every breath I take!

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Rhonda, I'm delighted you had a good weekend up in the cabin, but of course feel so much for your friend, having been through the same Cancer with Paul's friend last year. Of course I will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers. Maybe its time somebody did the unexpected here and dumbfounded the doctors. I've missed you too. Mike I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend as well, despite the 'house wins'. SL I hope your ankle is better soon.
Soda sounds like you had a great weekend apart from the seizure. Your sister's place sounds awesome. Hope your trip to Beaumont goes well.

No prizes for guessing that I spent the weekend recuperating from the Eagles gigs, going through major PGW, marking 93 exam scripts and contracting a very nasty chest infection. Its making me dizzy and sick and I'm trying to work through it. I intended boxing off last night to do my Dublin gig review, and I lost my internet from early evening till about Midnight. Its on the way never fear!

Peekaboo
07-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Rhonda, I'll be keeping your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

I've got just a little bit of whining to do. I hurt my left wrist somehow and it has been making it really hard for me to deal cards at work. I've been wearing a brace on it at home but i'm not allowed to have it on while working. I've just been having to fight through the pain. It's gotten a little better over the past few days but hopefully it'll be back to normal by the time I get back to work saturday night. On the upside, I finally got a new car. It's my first new car ever. I love it. I've always had old used cars with lots of miles on them. My last car had over 315,000 miles on it and it was due to break down any day. Thankfully i got it traded in before that happened.

sodascouts
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
You folks with injuries and sickness - get better soon! Sounds like we have some tough folks on here. ;)

MikeA
07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
On the upside, I finally got a new car. It's my first new car ever.

Good On Ya Jess! What kind of car did you get? I just got a blurb that GM has just exited Chapter 11. I hope that's good news in the long run. It is odd though to look at a Government owned Automobile manufactorer.

I can hardly imagine dealing with a wrist injury. Left or Right wrist and are you left or right handed? Either way it would be hard shuffling and making cheque change. From talking with various Pit Crews and Supervisors as well as dealers, I'm pretty sure that no pain medication would be allowed even if it were prescription. And, there for a while in Oklahoma, "they" were running very frequent "random" drug tests. I know a couple of dealers who lost their certificates or whatever you call it.

It seems rather cruel on the wrist brace prohibition, but with the right kind of brace and a lot of stealth, I can see where they could be used to conceal cheques.

Peekaboo
07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Good On Ya Jess! What kind of car did you get? I just got a blurb that GM has just exited Chapter 11. I hope that's good news in the long run. It is odd though to look at a Government owned Automobile manufactorer.

I can hardly imagine dealing with a wrist injury. Left or Right wrist and are you left or right handed? Either way it would be hard shuffling and making cheque change. From talking with various Pit Crews and Supervisors as well as dealers, I'm pretty sure that no pain medication would be allowed even if it were prescription. And, there for a while in Oklahoma, "they" were running very frequent "random" drug tests. I know a couple of dealers who lost their certificates or whatever you call it.

It seems rather cruel on the wrist brace prohibition, but with the right kind of brace and a lot of stealth, I can see where they could be used to conceal cheques.

I got a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. It's silver, four doors, and has a sun roof. I love it!!! It drives so much smoother than my old car.

It's my left wrist that hurts. Mike, you've seen plenty of dealers so I'm sure you can understand how right now it's hard for me just to get the cards out of the shoe when i'm dealing. I'm decently fast at dealing but with my wrist hurting like this, I have really had to slow down. I can usually get through about a shoe and a half but now I can barely get through a whole shoe in the 20 minutes that i'm on a table. Cheque change isn't that bad for me right now. I'm right handed so I can cut cheques much better with my right. I have a few days off to give it some rest and let heal before I get back to work and it's already getting much better.

MikeA
07-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I got a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. It's silver, four doors, and has a sun roof. I love it!!! It drives so much smoother than my old car.

It's my left wrist that hurts. Mike, you've seen plenty of dealers so I'm sure you can understand how right now it's hard for me just to get the cards out of the shoe when i'm dealing.

Well CONGRATULATIONS on the Hyundai. My F-I-L has one and loves it. Only thing he doesn't like about it is that for some reason, he can't keep a battery alive with it. Hopefully they have the alternator problem resolved. Other than that, it has been totally reliable and comfortable.

I hadn't even thought about dealing from a shoe. I mostly play single and double deck and those are normally hand held and dealt but manually shuffled. I don't think Oklahoma has anything but 6-deck approved for play do they? If they do, I've never been to a House where DD or SD was being played.

I know that as a dealer, you are a human machine. Add to 21 and calculate payoffs. There is a LOT of time to think about aches and pains while working. Find that "Happy Place"...you know...the one where you and Lou absorbed the musical talent of some drummer or other a while back <LOL>

Well, keep your wrist stable until you have to use it....hopefully your Hyundai is an automatic!

Peekaboo
07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I hadn't even thought about dealing from a shoe. I mostly play single and double deck and those are normally hand held and dealt but manually shuffled. I don't think Oklahoma has anything but 6-deck approved for play do they? If they do, I've never been to a House where DD or SD was being played.

I know that as a dealer, you are a human machine. Add to 21 and calculate payoffs. There is a LOT of time to think about aches and pains while working. Find that "Happy Place"...you know...the one where you and Lou absorbed the musical talent of some drummer or other a while back <LOL>

Well, keep your wrist stable until you have to use it....hopefully your Hyundai is an automatic!

I only know of one casino in Oklahoma that does SD. We do 6 decks where i work. I'm sure in the coming years Oklahoma table games will become much more like Vegas. I've heard talks about the casino i work at getting Let it Ride and a few other games that i can't remember. I've never seen or played them before so it'll be very interesting if we get them here. Btw, you were right about my "Happy Place" anywhere there is Don is my happy place.:)

MikeA
07-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I did hear a "rumor" a month or two ago down at the Southwind in Newkirk, that 2009 would be the last year that would require Oklahoma Casinos to collect an ante on table games. If they do in fact remove the ante, I'll play a LOT more in Oklahoma!

ticky
07-17-2009, 01:50 AM
WELL.. it was nearly 100 degrees today and I baked a pie.. yeah.. Im an idiot... but we're getting ready for a long weekend in Southern Oregon with a BBQ on Sunday so I wanted to take something, besides Im a freakin awesome cook and I make freakin awesome pies...*G*
MIL got us tickets to see The Music Man tomorrow night at the Oregon Shakespearean Festival and Im pumped! Last year we got to see The Tempest! which was wonderful, this one isnt Shakespeare but it should be interesting as a few of the performers are deaf and so they will be signing a lot of it! Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.. Deaf performers for The Music Man???? umm.. prolly not my first choice, but hey it's thinking outside the box.. right?.. Anyway, Im packing and trying to cool the house off, LONG trip tomorrow, but I'll be seeing Wild/Cami too so we will have fun! (I'll have access to a computer too so you wont be getting rid of me quite that easy..) see ya'll later!

GlennLover
07-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Have fun, Ticky! Enjoy the show. I wish I could have a piece of that pie:wink:.

Brooke
07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, me too! What kind is it? :lol:

Have fun Ticky!

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 09:59 AM
She had my mouth watering on Facebook talking about that pie.... something like raspberry, rhubarb, peach & blueberry. Sounded awesome to me!!!

Peekaboo
07-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I think it's been about 5 or 6 days since i've had the chance to get on here. I've got lots to catch up on.

These past few days have been kinda crazy. I've only just now gotten the chance to settle down a bit. Work has been decently busy for the summer time. I had a few (unnecessary, imo) "mandatory" meetings to go to at the beginning of the week and with that Paul McCartney concert coming up I was able to work an extra day to help my new concert fund. I had been looking forward to my days off for a few weeks. I was going to be in Lawton, OK with my cousin and her family to celebrate her birthday. We were going to go to the waterpark, drive to the mountain, go to the lake, and we were going to have a barbecue for her birthday on saturday. I got a call from my mom early thursday morning saying that she was in the hospital. She was having really bad stomach pain and vomiting. My dad took her to the e.r. on wednesday around midnight and they admitted her around 3am. Turns out that she has and ovarian cyst the size of an orange. She will need to have surgery but we won't know when that will be until tuesday. She's doing okay right now, just trying to get some rest. Usually my first reaction to news like this is to freak out and be all kinds of worried but my when mom called and explained everything to me I just had this feeling and I just knew that she is going to be okay. Just hearing how calm she was on the phone made me calm. She's been a nurse for 20+ years and has a wonderful way with words when it comes to explaining all of the medical stuff in a calming way. She should get to go home tomorrow and then, as I mentioned before, we'll find out on tuesday when she will be having surgery.

I feel a bit torn because just as I was leaving the hospital last night my cousin called and told me that she was going to the e.r. Turns out that she has kidney stones. They gave her some pain meds and said that they are small enough for her to pass them. I feel bad because I want to be there with her, especially with her birthday being tomorrow, but I also want to be here with my mom. They are both doing fine right now. My mom told me to go visit my cousin. My mom knows how close my cousin and I are. I called my cousin and she said that I should just stay with my mom. As of right now I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just glad that they are both going to be okay. That's the important thing.

TimothyBFan
07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Good luck Jess with everything you have on your plate right now!! Thoughts are with you, your mother & your cousin.

Brooke
07-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Yes, Jess, good luck to your Mom and cousin. Hopefully they will both be fine.

Glennsallnighter
07-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey Jess! I too hope your mom and your cousin will be fine. While scary to hear about hopefully they will just need routine treatment and will be right as rain very soon :hug:

Koala
07-19-2009, 03:31 AM
Peek, good luck to your Mom and cousin!

sodascouts
07-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Amarillo, I HEAR ya about the job situation. I'm being forced to adjunct when I had hoped to go onto tenure-track. That's why I'm looking around for a corporate job.

Mike, now that I'm home and have access to my own computer, I'll be following that lead you gave me!

Rhonda - sorry to hear about your friend. I wonder how different the Music Man will be with deaf performers? You'll have to report back.

Jess - it's hard enough to deal with your mom being in the hospital, but a close relative too! I'm glad you have a sense of peace about your mom, though. I really think that means something and I bet she will be alright.

My vacation with my family and seeing old friends was a nice removal from my routine, but I'm glad to be home. Unfortunately, since I continued to have a few more epileptic "episodes" my family is freaking out about me living alone. They are freaking out because they love me and are concerned about my well-being, of course, but I need to have my own life. I have been living with this for a long time and I know how to deal with it. I'm not parent, but I imagine it probably is a lot harder to deal with one's son or daughter having health problems than it is for the son or daughter who actually has them!

Troubadour
07-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Aw, Jess, please let your mum know that I'm thinking of her & sending her positive vibes. I'm sure she will be just fine - but it's always scary when things like this happen. Sounds like you are coping with things pretty well & keeping a level head. Big hugs! I'm here if you ever want a chat.

Brooke
07-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear you are home safe and sound, Soda! Sounds like you've had a nice, long vacation!

Molly
07-19-2009, 05:03 PM
My vacation with my family and seeing old friends was a nice removal from my routine, but I'm glad to be home. Unfortunately, since I continued to have a few more epileptic "episodes" my family is freaking out about me living alone. They are freaking out because they love me and are concerned about my well-being, of course, but I need to have my own life. I have been living with this for a long time and I know how to deal with it. I'm not parent, but I imagine it probably is a lot harder to deal with one's son or daughter having health problems than it is for the son or daughter who actually has them!

Glad you're back home safe and sound.

And you're right, as a parent I can say I don't think it will matter how old my kids get, there's a part of me that's always going to worry. Think how bad you'd feel if your folks acted like they didn't care!

Tom left for S. Carolina to day to visit his best friend who's in the military, and a few hours after he left for the airport, the phone rang. I raced to it thinking it was him and something was wrong. It wasn't even him. I'm sure he and his friend are having a blast catching up right about now.

Take care of yourself, Nancy!

tbs fanatic
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Have been out of touch with The Border for a good while now so thought I'd just jump in while I had a minute. It's a long, slow summer this year. Hubby had heart bypass surgery at the beginning of the summer and that pretty much put an end to any vacation plans. He is recovering well but is home all the time right now which is driving me a little crazy. What with him and the kids on summer break - :dizzy::saberfight: Anyway, hope you are all having a fun summer. Hopefully will check in again soon.

sodascouts
07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Aw, thanks Molly! I'll try! And Brooke, I'm definitely glad to be back, too!

TBSF, I'm glad to hear from you again, although sorry your husband had to undergo surgery. At least he sounds like he is doing pretty well even if he is in your hair, lol.

TimothyBFan
07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
tbsf--so sorry to hear about the rough summer so far but glad to hear hubby is making a good recovery. Always a good sign that they are feeling better if they are starting to get in the way! :)

ticky
07-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Jess, I hope your Mom is okay, as far as your cousin's kidney stones, well. been there done that and, while they HURT like crazy, they're tolerable and they (excuse the pun) pass...

Welcome Home Nancy!! I know what you mean when you say you have your own life and it's always a great relief to get back to your own world and your own stuff and, most of all, IMHO, your own BED!!

TBSF, *G* dont let the fam drive ya too nuts.. take some time just for you.. a little Ipod therapy is always a good thing *G*

OKAY, Im home, Im blind (my glasses are.. somewhere in this house, but the house is a mess so, Im shootin' commando.. so to speak..
FIRST OFF.. the saga of the Pie.
*I* in the midst of the summer heat, baked a pie.. it was beautiful. Raspberry, Rhubarb, Blue berry and peach with a lattice top, glazed and sugared. Cliff accused me of buying it because it was too pretty! but no, I made it with MY Raspberries and MY blueberries and peaches and rhubabrb from the farmers market... it was a perfect pie. I wanted to take it to Southern Oregon with us for the BBQ sunday. ALL the family was going to be there including my aunt from Kansas I hadnt seen in 20 years! I carefully placed the pie in a cake carrier then sealed it. NOT trusting the clips on the carrier to hold the heavy pie, I then tried to brace it with rubber bands. Cliff (He really isnt a bad guy, but comes across as the protagonist here) saw me with the rubber bands and said "What are you doing that for? it has clips." I explained I didnt trust them but he waved me off and made a "Pshhh" sound.
He lifted the pie in the carrier from the bottom and carefully carried it out to the car. It was fine, it traveled well, It arrived in my MIL's driveway undisturbed. If only... if only....
We unpacked.. no.. *I* Unpacked the car... with my right arm filled with bags I lifted the carrier with my left hand and "PLOP" ... dog chow. I was tempted to scrape it all up, stick a few biscuits on top and tell Cliff it was cobbler JUST FOR HIM. OH WELL.... it got nibbled on by the dogs then rinsed away..
DID I CRY? nooo... DID I MOPE?? Nooo... DID I TURN A BLIND EYE AND FORGIVE MY HUSBAND?.. okay so maybe it wasnt all blind, BUT I was as understanding as I could be especially after he spent ALL the following day chauffering me and Cami and Aunt Phyllis to many farmers markets to find all the ingredients to make a new pie.. and maybe a few wineries and then a couple of coffee shops.. the man, after all these years, has learned a little bit about attitude adjustment.
ANYWAY- I made a new pie, it was beautiful and tasty and received many accolades but the cake carrier is history.

OTHER THEN THAT, the weekend was terrific, the play was great!(The Music Man at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival) the deaf actor turned out to be Marcellus Washburn, Prof. Harold Hill's good friend. This worked out well, except for the Shipoopi number and it was a little confusing because the set ups and conflicts he was supposed to instigate didnt really come across well. Shipoopi was performed by his girlfriend character, which just didnt bring it across as well, but then I'm probably biased towards the movie. They replaced Miriam's character for this performance. The woman doing the part was an amazing singer and had an operatic voice that shook the rafters, but she lacked a certain softness that Miriam requires IMO, but BOY could she sing!! All in all, a typical very high quality show as expected from the OSF.

Mrs Henley
07-21-2009, 03:19 AM
Awe Ticky so sad of your pie! Husbands are sometimes giving a great advice but usually.. no thanks! But I'm glad you have a great time!

Glennsallnighter
07-21-2009, 03:38 AM
Have been out of touch with The Border for a good while now so thought I'd just jump in while I had a minute. It's a long, slow summer this year. Hubby had heart bypass surgery at the beginning of the summer and that pretty much put an end to any vacation plans. He is recovering well but is home all the time right now which is driving me a little crazy. What with him and the kids on summer break - :dizzy::saberfight: Anyway, hope you are all having a fun summer. Hopefully will check in again soon.

Well at least your hubby is over his surgery and hopefully he will make a complete recovery. But I DO sympathise with you. And my kids are home all the time too! I know what its like. You keep them amused 99% of the time, but there's still always that 1%!
Hope the rest of the summer goes well for you all TBSF. Check in when you can!

Glennsallnighter
07-21-2009, 03:42 AM
And you're right, as a parent I can say I don't think it will matter how old my kids get, there's a part of me that's always going to worry. Think how bad you'd feel if your folks acted like they didn't care!

Tom left for S. Carolina to day to visit his best friend who's in the military, and a few hours after he left for the airport, the phone rang. I raced to it thinking it was him and something was wrong. It wasn't even him. I'm sure he and his friend are having a blast catching up right about now.

Take care of yourself, Nancy!

I know what you mean Molly. My mom always says that the worries only change with age. They never go away! I hope Tom gets on great.

Nancy I echo the others. I know you have your epilepsy in control but take care of yourself girl. OK? :hug: We all worry about you.

Brooke
07-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Ticky, so sorry about your pie, but you made another one? :thumbsup: Way to go!

tbsf, sorry to hear about your husband, but glad he's doing well. Hang in there with all that's going on and check in when you can.

On the home front, hubby and I celebrated our 35th anniversary this weekend! Man, that's a long time to be married to the same person! He did good and sent me a beautiful bouquet of mixed flowers and we went out to dinner. I got him a new wedding ring. He had had to have his cut off of his finger last year when he hurt his hand at work. He had never taken it off and that was kind of a sad moment, but it had to be done as his finger swelled.

Peekaboo
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
TBSF, I'm glad that your husband is recovering well from his surgery and that you got the chance to check in here. Hopefully you'll get to drop in again soon.

Brooke, Congratulations on 35 years!!! :thumbsup: That is so wonderful!! How sweet of you to get him a new wedding ring. As long as I can remember (and I was never told why) my parents never had wedding rings. They celebrated their 30th last year and my dad got their wedding rings for their anniversary. My mom likes to joke that it took 30 years for her to "finally" get a ring.

Ticky, that's a bummer about the pie but i'm glad you still had a wonderful time with your family. Hope you found your glasses and that your house cleanup wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the well wishes for my mom and cousin. My cousin is doing good and we were still able to celebrate her birthday as planned. My mom is doing okay. She's not in pain like she was but not much has changed since she got to go home on saturday. It turns out that the cyst she has is actually a tumor. Thankfully it isn't cancerous but she will still need to have surgery. I'll be taking her to see her doctor today so hopefully he'll have some more info and we'll get to find out when her surgery will be.

MikeA
07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Ticky,

I can't really say "I'm Sorry" about your pie. If you'd sent it to me like I suggested, that disaster would NEVER have happened! Glad you had fun and as resourceful as I know you are, I'm quite sure the second pie was Most Excellent (though probably not as good as one made from your own berries!) :-(

sodascouts
07-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm so jealous of someone who can whip up not one but two magnificent pies herself! Can I come over to your house for dinner some time, ticky? lol

Brooke - wow! I know you and your husband got married young and here you are, all these years later, beating the odds. I need to get me a husband like that. ;)

Jess - glad to hear about your cousin is improving and I'll say a prayer for your mom.

glenneaglesfan
07-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Oh my, I've been away for so long, I'm so sorry I can't catch up with everyone's news. I've been sneaking a look at everyone's concert reviews with envy and a real sense of sadness that I couldn't be a part of it this year.

I've been lucky enough to have two holidays in June - a short camping trip to France and a wonderful ten days in the Isles of Scilly, our little paradise off the coast of Cornwall - lovely weather, beautiful scenery, nice long walks and bracing swims in the sea! We came back home to our two boys back from their travels in south east Asia, so the last couple of weeks have involved a lot of use of the washing machine, and many happy hours looking at photographs.

In the meantime, our garden works have finally reached completion, and at last... we have our hot tub!! Since then, naturally, the "long hot summer" that we've had has turned into the typical British summer of rain and wind, but that hasn't stopped us enjoying the new conservatory and the tub.

PB, I hope your mother and your cousin are making progress, and TBSF, good luck to your hubby after his surgery.

Ticky, I had to laugh about your pie. I've had a few similar culinary disasters, but in the end you just have to make the best of it. There was the time I baked some buns and the tray slid out of the oven before they were quite cooked...

Brooke, congratulations on your anniversary! That is something to celebrate! What a romantic gesture to give your hubby a ring.

Nancy, your parents are sweet showing such concern, but as a parent myself I know how frustrated you feel. Keep well and continue to enjoy life to its full, as I know you do!

Molly, you are so right about your offspring. My two are both driving my car now, and every evening they go out I worry, even though they both are very good drivers.

GA, thank you for your text, and so glad you had good times in Belfast and Dublin!

sodascouts
07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Great to hear from you, GEF. You simply MUST post some photos of your new garden! I can't wait to see the fruits of all that effort!

MikeA
07-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Got more estimates from the hail damage. I think I mentioned that the hail poked two significant holes that tore up above the water line on the pool. The adjuster from the Insurance Co gave us a $2,100 adjustment on the liner. That's about right for the cost of the liner.

However, we had a pool contractor come out and evaluate the pool repair. He gave the same price for the liner...but added in another $1,200 to repair the Vermiculite surface coating on the pool (sort of like soft concrete that coats the bottom and sides that the liner comes into contact with). Then another $3,000 for repair/replacement of a corner of the concrete deck that has "sunk" a bit.

In total, $7,000+ to get to swimming pool back up to virgin condition and the insurance is only going to cover the liner and the installation of it (around $3,000). We're thinking seriously about using the pool "as is" until it won't hold water any more and then just filling it in with dirt and planting flowers over it!

sodascouts
07-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Yikes - a $4000 hit is nothing to sneeze at. I'd be thinking about leaving the pool "as is" too unless you use it quite often.

MikeA
07-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I myself use it pretty much only to jump in when I get too hot working outside or when I come in from a round of golf in 105* temps! But my wife really uses it a LOT. Back when we put it in, I got a motorcycle...she got the pool <LOL>. But now my grandson lives for coming over and learning to swim. It gets a lot of use by others in the family who wouldn't go swimming if we didn't have it.

Still, with the "patch job" Verna did on it, I think it is still good for two or three years. By then, maybe it won't be so bad to "lose" it. The thing is, I don't know if we can just replace the liner without doing all the other repairs to the structure supporting the concrete deck. I'm getting some more estimates. None of that stuff (except for the liner and refilling the pool with water) is covered by insurance since it wasn't caused by the hail storm.

Molly
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your pool troubles, Mike. $4000 -Yikes! We just have an above ground and every year hubby threatens to take it down if we don't use it more. So, I have to always choose between listening to him complain or hypothermia. It is Wisconsin, after all!

Brooke! 35 years! They sound like happy years, too. Good for you. I bought hubby a kind of cheap wedding ring for our 25th. We says he doesn't want an expensive one. This cheapie ring is to replace the cheapie ring I bought for him 25 years ago that didn't last.

Jess -glad to hear your mom has some answers about her condition. Hopefully, the surgery will be relatively simple and she'll feel better quickly.
I don't envy what your cousin is going thru. Hubby has had a number of kidney stones over the years and I hate seeing him suffer (no really, I do!)
When I was in the hospital giving birth to Peter, he was down in the emergency room passing a kidney stone. Sometimes I think we should have left Peter and kept the kidney stone. It would have been cheaper! :thumbsup:

Kate -it's nice to hear from you!!

Koala
07-24-2009, 06:50 AM
What's Happening in Your Life? ................. nothing!

In my life happens just nothing, it is totally boring! :brickwall:
Now I have 5-week vacation and don´t know what I should do,
because I am from my family and my friends the only one who has vacation at the moment!

TimothyBFan
07-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Koala---that sounds like heaven to me!!!!!! Seriously, I would love boring for awhile and time to yourself with no one to interupt, especially 5 weeks worth, HEAVEN!!!! Enjoy it while it last and make the best of it!

Tomorrow--mall for school clothes for Katie and get everything Dillon will need to take to college. Then grocery shopping (which hasn't been done for several weeks! YIKES). Then home to unload and on to a trip to the meat market to fill the freezer because it is getting extremely low. Hometown Days here in town this weekend and then finally, party on the patio tomorrow night and I'm seriously thinking strawberry margaritas. This is the first weekend in over 6 weeks that we have had the chance to do all the shopping at once and then relax on the patio for vinyl with friends. I haven't drank for 14 years (last Thursday) and had a margarita (a very weak one) at our neighbors 90th birthday party a few weeks back and it tasted so d*mn good I'm thinking a couple more tomorrow night sounds pretty good after a day like I know we will be having! I HATE school shopping!!

Brooke
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Brooke - wow! I know you and your husband got married young and here you are, all these years later, beating the odds. I need to get me a husband like that. ;)

I wish that for you, Soda. There have been lots of ups and downs, but love always found a way!

I HATE school shopping!!

Oh man, I'm soooooooo glad I don't have to do that anymore! Have fun! :wink:

And it's great to hear from you GEF! Can't wait to see those garden pics. Sounds wonderful!

Koala
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Enjoy it while it last and make the best of it!

I try it!
However, a good has it, I have enough time to search stuff about the Eagles! :wink:

MikeA
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Got a new phone today. I really only have a couple of criteria in a phone (cell phone). I want one that I can hear or feel when it rings, that will fit in my pocket, that has a good MP3 player, is durable and that is easy to use.

I may have found one that fits all of these necessities for me. It is a Sony Ericsson W760a. I had a Sony Ericsson W300i and liked it. It used Sony Memory Stick memory and I had bought a 2gb stick and filled it up with music. Already had a USB cable for it and a headphone adapter (neither comes with Sony Ericsson phones). It had a 1.3mp camera which was just "okay". It would store only VGA sized pictures. But it was almost good enough for what I needed, especially the battery life, however it did not have a Flight Mode to make it legal to use on airplanes. And that constitutes where I needed it most.

The new one (the W760a) has a Flight Mode. It used the same accessories as the W300i so I didn't have to buy anything new. In fact, I didn't even have to reload any of the music I had on the W300i. True Plug and Play.

The W760a does have a Flight Mode, a 3.2mp camera (!! good large images!) and is a slider phone. Actually it is easier to use than the clamshell flip phone (the w360i was a clamshell).

The keypad is much easier to use but I'll seldom use it. I have my frequently called numbers set up on "voice dial". It has a very easy to use keypad lock to keep any keys from functioning unless the slider is open. That's a must because I don't like having to hit a button to answer a call. Just slide the think open to answer! And you can see who's calling on the screen without opening the phone!

Now, on battery life...using just normal voice calling (not internet 3G access and all that) the battery talk-time is 9 hours. With 3G it is 3.5 hours. For listening to music....it is 20 hours. These times are much better than most phones and I like that.

This one may be a keeper. I started to look for one with a "QWERTY" keyboard for text-messaging...but I have never used that on a cell phone. I'm way behind the times I guess. My Sister sent me a text yesterday to tell me that my Mother had had an angiogram (sp??) and that everything was okay. She had texted like two screens of data. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to say "Okay" and then I called her to tell her thanks! <LOL> Caveman!

Maybe with my next phone. If I can find one that has the talktime and batterylife that the w760a has and also has a QWERTY keyboard!

TimothyBFan
07-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Could all of you include a couple friends of ours in your prayers. Our friends Tiffiany and Brandon had some bad news late Friday afternoon. He had gone to the doctor about 3 weeks ago with what he thought was a bad cold and they diagnosed him with walking pneumonia and went back in last Thursday for a recheck. Doctor still didn't like what he was hearing in his lungs so sent him in for a cat scan that afternoon. Friday they were told that he had a mass in his lung about 6 centimeters, so they put him right into the hospital for a biopsy. Friday afternoon he saw a Oncologist that told them he suspects it's Hodgkins. There is hope that he may be wrong and it could just be a mass of infection. They should get the results sometime today or tomorrow. They are only 33 years old and have a 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter. Brandon is the epitome of a young, healthy and vibrant man.

Troubadour
07-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Thinking of Brandon and hoping for the absolute best for him.

Brooke
07-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Wishing him the best of luck from here, too, TBF.

MikeA
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah, Dang Willie. Sorry to hear that and I'll be thinking of him too. That's just rotten.

TimothyBFan
07-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks you guys. Brandon's sister just called me and said they had just heard from the doctor and it is indeed cancer. He is going in tomorrow to start a bunch of test and then they will go from there. You all know how much of this sh*t I've had in my life already. I HATE cancer! It scares the living crap out of me anymore! It just doesn't seem fair for someone like Brandon, 33 with a beautiful wife and 2 wonderful kids, always very athletic and has never smoked a day in his life, to have LUNG cancer! Please say a little prayer for his whole family as they start this horrible process of BEATING this horrible disease.

sodascouts
07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Oh no! As soon as you told me I was hoping you would come back saying it wasn't cancer... he and his family are still in my prayers.

Brooke
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm so sorry Willie. I'll keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers, too.

Koala
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Sorry to hear that, he and his family are in my thoughts and prayers!

ticky
07-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Awe Willie,
Im so sorry! Hodgkins lymphoma hits close to home. On the one hand, it is one of the easier cancers to treat, on the other, treatment is awful to go through. My sister had it when she was 15 and she died from complications of the treatment. Fortunately, they have made giant strides in treatments since then and, in all fairness, she was diagnosed with stage 4 hodgkins and lived another 20 years in fairly good health. My prayers and best wishes are with him and his family. Too many of our best people are being hit with this lately. God speed to him and his doctors.

Molly
07-28-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear the bad news, Willie. I hope they caught it early -it can indeed be very treatable.

I'll keep them in my thoughts.

Troubadour
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Willie. Positive vibes and warmest wishes to Brandon and his family for the road ahead.

Prettymaid
07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Thinking of Brandon and hoping for the best.

Molly
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
We had a scare yesterday. My son Tom's girlfriend of nearly 4 years (Nicole) got a very frightening electric shock yesterday.

Nicole lives with her folks in a 100 plus year old farmhouse. Her mom sent her into the garage to go into the freezer and get something out for supper.

Something was wrong with the ancient wiring or circuit breaker or something, and when Nicole grabbed the metal handle of the freezer she was shocked. She said she couldn't let go of the handle so she had electric current running thru her body for about 20 seconds until she could finally let go and then she fell to the floor.

According to the electrician, whatever was wrong with the wiring had created a 30 foot radius of current running thru pretty much everything within the radius.

The shock actually blew Nicole's acrylic fingernails right off of her hand.

She spent the night in the hospital so they could monitor her heart -but she's home now and she's perfectly fine.

MikeA
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Molly....WHEW!

Molly
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Molly....WHEW!

I know...shocking!!! (I couldn't resist)

I must like this girl -this really scared me and I'm soooo glad she's OK. She and Tom are already like such an old married couple.

sodascouts
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Poor thing, besides being frightening, I'm sure it must have been very painful too. Thank goodness she's OK.

Seems like someone is yearnin' for a new daughter-in-law! ;)

Glennsallnighter
07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Molly! I'm glad your 'prospective daughter in Law' :wink: is ok. I'm sure it was a shock for everyone.

Willie, I too will keep Brandon and his family in my thoughts and prayers. Its such rotten luck. Hopefully his youth and health up to now will keep him going.

I got my teaching time-table today for the new year starting at the end of August. It makes my return to work seem real somehow. Before it was always 'somewhere in the future'. Still it looks ok and quite manageable and all my classes are in the morning so it fits in well. Though sadly I suppose my Border time will suffer at least a bit. Though I PROMISE I won't abandon it!

And on a better note I managed to score 2 Tickets for Spandau Ballet in Dublin (13th October) 8th row in flat seating for only €70 each. Previous attempts could only get me something similar to what some of you refer to as 'Nosebleeds'. Dunno what happened Ticketmaster but it worked for me!! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
07-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Molly--glad to hear your son's girlfriend is ok. That was very scary for everyone.

Molly
07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Poor thing, besides being frightening, I'm sure it must have been very painful too. Thank goodness she's OK.

Seems like someone is yearnin' for a new daughter-in-law! ;)

It is nice to finally have another female around! And I can't help but let my mind wander to how darn cute those grandkids would be!

Now that she's OK, Tom is joking that she should at after going thru what she went thru, she should at least have some superpowers!

MikeA
07-29-2009, 02:25 PM
But Molly, you must remind him that Superpowers only happen with Spider Bites and sometimes from Lightning Strikes. Everyone knows that!

ticky
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, any NUCLEAR exposure, really... consider the Hulk! AND technically the spider bite came from a radioactive spider.... OH God... this is not good.. Im correcting comic book facts.. I need serious help.. a LOT more Eagles, and a LOT less Stan Lee..

MikeA
07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, any NUCLEAR exposure, really... consider the Hulk! AND technically the spider bite came from a radioactive spider.... OH God... this is not good.. Im correcting comic book facts.. I need serious help.. a LOT more Eagles, and a LOT less Stan Lee..

Picky Picky Picky, Ticky!

glenneaglesfan
07-30-2009, 05:36 AM
I know...shocking!!! (I couldn't resist)

I must like this girl -this really scared me and I'm soooo glad she's OK. She and Tom are already like such an old married couple.

Lol, Molly! Seriously though, that must have been very scary. I'm so glad she is ok.

I know what you mean about having some female company. I really enjoyed having Mark's ex-girlfriend around the place. She is still friends, having survived four months travelling with him and my older son. Mark meanwhile has already found a new girlfriend, but no sign of Phil settling down yet!

Both boys applied for jobs at a call centre being set up for the swine 'flu epidemic, but neither of them was chosen, so they are hanging around at home. Phil is becoming quite a dab hand in the kitchen - quiche and blueberry muffins among the delights this week!

Brooke and Soda, I'll try and take some photos of the garden as soon as this interminable rain stops. In England, we have a tradition that if it rains on St Swithins day, 15 July, it's going to rain for 40 days. It did, and so far it has!!

TBSF, I'm so sorry to hear about your young friend. I know a few people who have survived Hodgkins and are in great health now, so although the chemo is gruelling there is hope for a good outcome. I'll be thinking of him.

Ga, it seems like an age since we met in London, and so much has happened since then, but I will always remember the fun we had seeing our hero and the guys at the O2. Good luck with the new job!

AzEaglesFan
07-30-2009, 05:33 PM
My husband, Bob and I will be married 47 years tomorrow. Wish we had an Eagles concert to attend to celebrate. (hint, hint) Maybe next year. So we are going to do our next favorite thing and go out and have dinner. After all of these years we don't do gifts. If we don't already have something we really don't need it at our ages.:partytime:

MikeA
07-30-2009, 05:48 PM
My husband, Bob and I will be married 47 years tomorrow. Wish we had an Eagles concert to attend to celebrate. (hint, hint) Maybe next year. So we are going to do our next favorite thing and go out and have dinner. After all of these years we don't do gifts. If we don't already have something we really don't need it at our ages.:partytime:

AZEF:

CONGRATULATIONS on 47 years. In this day and age, that's something to be very happy about!

I hear all that about gifts. I went to a barber (barberess?) yesterday. She said something about what could be looked forward to. I can't even remember the context. But I remember my reply:

"Sweetie, if at my age, I haven't already done it, I've thought about doing it. And If I've thought about it and haven't done it, I probably either don't want to do it or can't! I'm content with what is." :thumbsup:

AzEaglesFan
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
I was kidding our son that he better take a years vacation to empty out our house if anything would happen to both of us. I suggested renting a bulldozer and just leveling the place. The lot is probably worth more than the house anyway. I read where one family just opened up the doors and let friends in first to take what they wanted then just opened it up to anyone and let them have the rest. Good idea if I ever heard one. Everything I thought someone might treasure I already pawned off on them so what is left is just "stuff".

sodascouts
07-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Congrats on 47 years, AEF! Sounds like you two are still crazy after all these years. ;)

DonFan
07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Congratulations, AEF! And don't give up on that Eagles concert yet. Remember what I posted about what happened when my hubby and I went out for our anniversary dinner in May? They seated us in a cozy room in the back of the restaurant and the big screen TV was playing Eagles Farewell I! Maybe the same thing will happen to you!

Stars
07-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Congrats, AEF! Hope you and your hubby have a great celebration tomorrow!:partytime:
Hubby and I just celebrated our anniversary on Don's birthday-36 years-we are catching up to you!:thumbsup:

ticky
07-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Wow AZ! 47 years! that's something. Congrats *G* you definitely deserve an Eagles concert or it's equivalent.. hmm, what would that be? *G*

Koala
07-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Congratulations, AEF!

Today I sign my new work contract! :)
So far I have had only temporary contracts, now I get a contract without limit!
This is really great, because without the new contract I would be unemployed from the beginning of September!

eaglesfever
07-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Today I sign my new work contract! :)
So far I have had only temporary contracts, now I get a contract without limit!
This is really great, because without the new contract I would be unemployed from the beginning of September!

Congratulations Koala, that's great!

TimothyBFan
07-31-2009, 08:06 AM
AEF-That is fantastic!!! Congrats!! Huge accomplishment! Hope you and hubby have a wonderful dinner and evening together!

Congrats Koala--glad that you were able to sign the contract.

Today is is my son's birthday-19! Geez!! Where does the time go?

Stars
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
TBF, I know what you mean about your son turning 19, and not being able to believe how fast the time goes by. My son will be turning 24 in November, and I just can't believe that!:woah:

Brooke
07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Congrats to you and your hubby on 47 years together AZ! That's wonderful!

And to you too Stars on 36! I just had my 35th so I'm right behind you!

As Keith Urban sings, looks like we found our Once In A Lifetime loves!

And my son turns 27 next month. I swear he was just a baby, like, yesterday! And can you believe this year is half gone already?! :headscratch:

Stars
07-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Brooke! Congrats to you on your 35th! You certainly are right behind us!
I know you must find it hard to believe your son is turning 27-I also remember our son being a baby, and I can't believe the years have flown by so quickly!
And I didn't even realize the year is half gone already.:stunned:

Glennsallnighter
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Congratulations to all of us who are celebrating AZEF, Brooke and Stars. the length of time you have spent with your respective partners is a credit to you all. I hope I can be as happy by the time I reach those milestones. We'll be 12 years married in August.

Koala congrats on getting a permanent contract in these times when jobs in all sectors are so difficult to come by.

Mike! I meant to say earlier - I hope you get the pool sorted to your satisfaction. When we had a leak from the bathroom last year our (cute) plumber got us the name of an insurance assessor who prepared the claim for us. He had us claim for things we would never have thought of! Even after paying his fee we got substantially more than we would have got making the claim ourselves. Its a good idea because these people know everything, including what can go wrong during repairs which you would bot be covered for.....

MikeA
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Okay, this is OFF THE WALL. The winner shown in the link below is the daughter of one of my First Cousin's . She is going for a degree in biology and part of the course was a spelunking expedition that lasted several days and nights in the good ole Mother Nature. Natalie was really just trying to gross out her Mother <LOL> but when the contest was announced, she entered this picture.

Here's the link to the KSSN Country Station announcing the winner of the contest

http://www.kssn.com/pages/kubbe.html

http://www.kssn.com/cc-common/mlib/1014/07/1014_1248987968.JPG

And WON the Statewide contest <LOL>

Hope this one shows up. It's how she really looks when not kissing frogs and salamanders!

http://content005.myfamily.com/Handler.ashx/cos=64/cosarray=MFLIVE/foe=1025/guidstring=06be2b96-eec2-4737-8d31-c35ccd1bf9ff/x=383/y=550/zoom=proportionalnoupsize

Brooke
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
That frog should be very happy that a beautiful princess was willing to give him a kiss! Hopefully, her beauty rubbed off on him a little and turned him in to a prince! :lol:

Too funny Mike! She's a gorgeous girl!

MikeA
07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
That frog should be very happy that a beautiful princess was willing to give him a kiss! Hopefully, her beauty rubbed off on him a little and turned him in to a prince! :lol:

Too funny Mike! She's a gorgeous girl!

I don't hold out much hope for the frog. She gave me a peck on the cheek once and it didn't make any significant improvements to me!

Strange girl. Has the qualifications of a top model, but would rather be in the Outback in cutoffs than wearing dresses. Not sure what she is going to settle down and do. Something in the medical field though.

Brooke
07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't hold out much hope for the frog. She gave me a peck on the cheek once and it didn't make any significant improvements to me!

Eh, there must be something wrong with you Mike!

I know, I know, family and all! :laugh:

Peekaboo
07-31-2009, 06:21 PM
I haven't had much time on here lately because of meetings for work, and taking my mom to her doctors appointments. I didn't think it would take up much more time but I've been incredibly busy with all of this during the last week. I've only had (literally) a couple of minutes during the last week to drop in here and all i was able to do was check out the latest pics that were posted in each of the guys photo threads. I've got a little bit of extra time today while i'm back in my home town visiting my family so i'm trying to get in as much Border time as I can while I can because I have another busy week coming up.

Congrats to all of those that are celebrating anniversaries. AEF and Stars, that is amazing, 47 and 36 years respectively. I'm trying to figure out what to do for my parents 31st anniversary on Aug. 25. We did some family portraits last year and I think we may do it again this year. We didn't do too many (professional) family pictures while I was growing up and my mother loved that we finally took family pics after so many years. I think she secretly wants to make it a tradition now.

Willie, a big Happy Birthday to your son. I hope he has a wonderful birthday.

Koala, Congrats on the new job contract. That is wonderful news.

My apologies if i've missed responding to other's latest news. I always try to make a reply to everybody but I'm sure I've left some out on this one.

My mother's surgery has finally been scheduled for thursday Aug. 13. I believe the last time I posted about this I mentioned that her tumor was the size of an orange, well, it turns out that her doctor said it is bigger than they thought. It is actually the size of a soccer ball. The crazy thing about it is that she initially went into the hospital because of a gastrointestinal virus and that's how the doctors found her tumor. It's crazy how things happen that way. My mom still has some pain but she's been doing well. She's actaully been working since 4 days after she got out of the hospital. She's got a couple more doctors appointments to do a few more tests before the surgery. Although Mom says she's glad to have some time off of work she can't wait to get it all over with. Even though she's going to be having surgery to take out a tumor, I'm relieved that it's not cancerous or any more serious than it is. And mom has a good since of humor about the whole thing. She cracks jokes about it and makes the situation very light hearted. She's so wonderful and I just know she's going to be okay after all of this.

EagleLady
07-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Jess, I hope your mother's surgery is a success and I wish her a speedy recovery

Stars
07-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Jess, I also wish your mom a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Please let her know my prayers are with her. It's great that she has such a positive outlook on everything-I think she is a blessing to all who know her!

sodascouts
07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Jess, thanks for the update about your mom. Glad she's got such a great attitude.

But oh my gosh.... a SOCCER BALL????? Holy crap!!!!

She's in my prayers, too.

Molly
08-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Jess, I'm sure everyone will be relieved to have all of this behind your mom soon. Good luck to her.

Sounds like you're a fantastic daughter sticking by her side like you are.

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Mike your cousins daughter looks like a very beautiful person indeed. And Biology isn't such a bad thing, particularly when you get to model with frogs!! I hope she love whatever career path she chooses and that it brings her great happiness.

Peek I'll keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Her op is scheduled for my Wedding Anniversary so I'll take that as a lucky omen and send her good vibes on that day.

Koala
08-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Ladys, the unlimited contract is really a big relief!
Peek, your mom in my thoughts and prayers!

Brooke
08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Good luck to you and your Mom, Jess.

And Koala, congrats to you on your contract!:thumbsup:

Koala
08-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks Brooke!
I got the message over the unlimited contract at my birthday.
That was clearly the best birthday gift!

Troubadour
08-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Congrats, Koala!

Jess, I'm thinking of your mum, too. I hope everything goes smoothly with the surgery. Geez, the size of an orange is bad enough, but... a soccer ball! That's incredible. I'm glad she's so positive about the op though. I guess her profession means she's rational about this kind of thing, when the rest of us might be freaking out! Give her my best, and I hope you're holding up OK :hug:

ticky
08-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Koala! Congrats on the new contract! what a relief it must be for you. A real peace of mind.

Jess, give you Mom love and best wishes from me. From what you've told me about her she's a terrific lady with a great sense of humor. My kinna woman!! *G*

WELL... it's THAT time of year again and we're getting ready for the big family gathering at the river. We'll be leaving on Wednesday and coming home on Monday, the picnic is on Saturday but people will start arriving on Wednesday and camp! It's SO MUCH FUN!!!! The weather here has been brutal, in the 100s every day (and we dont have air conditioning) but it is heaven up there. If it gets hot, we go sit in the river, natures air conditioning.
Wild is coming up with us and her nieces (and the new baby!!!) will be coming up later.
I dont know what time the boys will be coming up, but I expect them to show up in their tour bus at any moment!!! (Okay.. just allow me this short period of fantasy and Ill drag myself back to reality again..) Of course Im sure they'll bring their guitars, but Ill let you know.

Okay, Im back... I've got a ton of cooking, baking and laundry to do before Wednesday so I'd better shake my tail feathers!!

Glennsallnighter
08-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Rhonda..... they will come......some year......keep hoping!

Koala
08-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks Troub & Ticky!

Koala! Congrats on the new contract! what a relief it must be for you. A real peace of mind.

Oh yes it is a great relief!
I work with pleasure at my small school. We have only 5 classes!
Its always a lot of fun!

Ticky, have fun at your family gathering !

glenneaglesfan
08-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Ticky, have a great time at your get together!

Koala, congratulations on your contract.

Peekaboo, I hope all goes well with your mum's operation.

AzEF, Stars and Brooke - congratulations on your wedding anniversaries!

Mike, good luck with the pool.

GA, if I don't get a chance to log in, have a wonderful wedding anniversary on the 13th!

Glennsallnighter
08-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Thanks GEF :hug: I think it'll be quiet enough this year as we are heading to Clifden in County Galway for a week the following week. Its the Irish embodiment of the sentiments in 'River of Dreams'. I worked there for a year 15 years ago so there's also a kind of 'Homecoming' feel to a holiday there.

TimothyBFan
08-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Ticky-in case you pop in before you leave today--Have a great time!!! Wish we were all there with you! :D Still say that cabin sounds as close to heaven as you can get!

ticky
08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Adios ya'll!
Thanks Willie, We'll be back Monday! Hold down the border while Im gone! hehehe I'll take lots of pictures to show everyone. Have a great weekend!!
Bye!

Stars
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Have fun, ticky! Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Brooke
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Have a great time, Ticky! Sounds wonderful!

sodascouts
08-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Have fun and see ya on Monday!

Prettymaid
08-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Bye Ticky! :bye: I'll keep Joe warm for ya!

Troubadour
08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Have fun, Rhonda! Hurry back!

I've had a bucketload of fun at work today. (Can you hear the sarcasm yet?) I had an incident with one of the service users, who backed me against the wardrobe in his room and put his hands around my throat. The buzzer system is currently broken, so I wasn't wearing an alarm. It shook me up a bit. Although I was pleased with the way I handled it, and the way I feel now. I'm exhausted, but I'm not emotional like I have been with previous incidents. I finally feel pretty confident there. Although I'm going to have a word with them about the buzzers on Saturday - today's incident made me realise that you can't take anything forgranted with the guys, and that we should not be working without the alarms. Luckily, I'm off now until Saturday afternoon, so I have a bit of time to myself. I'm waiting until roughly 6pm (lol) and then I'm going to pour my first vodka. On a brighter note, OOTN came on the radio as soon as I got home. Our boys have a way of making us feel better, don't they? ;)

Lisa - bet you can't wait to go back to Clifden. How romantic! I've been to Galway once, for a few days, and absolutely loved it. I'd love to visit again.

EagleLady
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
That guy who did that to you is nothing more than a coward. I'm so glad OOTN made you feel better though Lou

Troubadour
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks, EL. I work with adults with learning disabilities so, unfortunately, it is a part of the job, and there are many complex reasons for their behaviour - but I don't want to be in a situation like that again, where I don't have a means of calling for help.

OOTN certainly did brighten my day! You hear those first notes, and something magical happens :heart:

Prettymaid
08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Lou, I'm worried for you! Sounds like you are handling it well, but you're right - they need to get the buzzers working!

MikeA
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Lou.

My goodness! What kind of "services" are you in? Is it with mentally deranged individuals? How long would it take me to get to London? Sorry, but you flipped my switch with that post!

Have fun, Rhonda! Hurry back!

I've had a bucketload of fun at work today. (Can you hear the sarcasm yet?) I had an incident with one of the service users, who backed me against the wardrobe in his room and put his hands around my throat. The buzzer system is currently broken, so I wasn't wearing an alarm. It shook me up a bit. Although I was pleased with the way I handled it, and the way I feel now. I'm exhausted, but I'm not emotional like I have been with previous incidents. I finally feel pretty confident there. Although I'm going to have a word with them about the buzzers on Saturday - today's incident made me realise that you can't take anything forgranted with the guys, and that we should not be working without the alarms. Luckily, I'm off now until Saturday afternoon, so I have a bit of time to myself. I'm waiting until roughly 6pm (lol) and then I'm going to pour my first vodka. On a brighter note, OOTN came on the radio as soon as I got home. Our boys have a way of making us feel better, don't they? ;)

Lisa - bet you can't wait to go back to Clifden. How romantic! I've been to Galway once, for a few days, and absolutely loved it. I'd love to visit again.

Troubadour
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Mike,

I work in a residential home for adults with learning disabilities - most are on the autistic spectrum, but there are lots of other issues that come into play (their backgrounds, medication, mental health problems - not that the latter is officially acknowledged by our company, of course. Don't get me started on this!) We are a 'challenging behaviour unit', so we are trained in dealing with these kind of situations, although naturally it's still frightening and you never fully get used to it. I'm not at all angry with the service user - just the management for allowing staff to work without a fully-functioning buzzer system!

PS. You can come to London any time you like! 9 and a half hours from Dallas. (Have I ever mentioned that I have personal experience of this?) ;)

sodascouts
08-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I had an incident with one of the service users, who backed me against the wardrobe in his room and put his hands around my throat.

WHAT THE HELL????

I can't believe how lax they've let safety measures get at that place. He could have really hurt you. I hope you make a lot of noise about this. They have to make fixing the buzzers a priority. Perhaps the word "lawsuit" might get someone's attention...

Brooke
08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Yikes, Troub. Glad you weren't seriously hurt. You definitely need to have a talk with them about your safety precautions.

Btw, I'm sure it's already 5 o'clock somewhere! :wink:

Prettymaid
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm waiting until roughly 6pm (lol) and then I'm going to pour my first vodka.

Now Troub, would that be with or without tonic? :hilarious: :soda:

Stars
08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Troub, I am so glad you are ok! Wow, that sounded like a very scary situation. If I were you, I would tell them that you won't return to work there until they get those buzzers fixed. It sounds like that should be the top priority there, at this point!:worried:

MikeA
08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Well Lou, I know that there are risks that must be taken and accepted by workers in that kind of environment, but there really should be extreme safety precautions taken as well. No excuse these days for not having all of those precautions in place.

The summer after I graduated from High School, I worked through a program sponsored for high school students during the summer before entering college. My job was at the State Mental Hospital in my home town. The only patients at that rather large facility were mentally disabled to varying degrees. I worked in "Recreation" and in that position, my group put on concerts, monitored the Recreation Hall (table tennis, pop corn, music, pool, and anything else that could be done indoors). But we also had responsibility for taking selected patients out to the softball field.

Before we took the patients out though, someone had to go set the bases in place and get the equipment (baseball bats, balls, gloves and stuff like that) set up in the "dugouts". To accomplish this, the Recreational Director would obtain permission from the Wards to have one of the less disturbed patients accompany me and help with the heavy stuff.

I recall setting that baseball field up for the patients one day with the help of a guy in his mid to late 20's. I actually thought he was one of the "temps" working in the Wards. The recreational period went well and all the patients had a good time and after it was all over, the same guy helped me load up and rode with me in my car back to the Rec Hall.

A couple of days passed and I didn't see him around and I asked about him. They told me that he was in 'Maximum Security'. He had killed one of the other patients the night after the ball game that he had helped me prepare for! I had nightmares about that for a long time. He was that close to the edge when helping me.

Back then (1966) we didn't have anything other than Guns that we might possibly use for "protection" and of course, no GUNS were allowed in a Mental Institution! I wonder if they have "buzzers" in places like that in Arkansas NOW?

Molly
08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Troub -so glad you're OK. Training or not-it must have been frightening. Glad you were able to keep your wits about you and use your training experience.

I've been part of a couple of instances at the hospital I work in -but many years ago. We really didn't have a "plan" in place except to have maintence (pretty much the only men in the building) paged stat and hope they got their quickly.

Now we have a "team" that's called upon to diffuse difficult situations. When my son worked in the admitting department of the hospital a few years ago -I was alarmed that he was selected to be part of the team and receive the training since he was only 18 years old at the time. He's also a big burly football player, so I guess they wanted his muscles.

He's had side jobs since as a security man for a country music festival and as a bouncer at a bar -so he's put the training to use over the years.

Mike-Holy crap! You obviously had someone watching out for you. :angel:

Glennsallnighter
08-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Lou! :hug: I know we spoke about this earlier but once again let me once again say that I'm so glad that you are Ok after the incident earlier. Years ago my hubby bought me a very discreet panic alarm. It would fit in your pocket but once the pin was let off the SCREECH it emitted was unbelieveble. Maybe considering the authorities are so lax you should invest in one of these. It mihjy save your own or somebody elses life someday. I'm sure its not INTENTIONAL that the buzzer system isn't properly functioning, but I think considering the nature of your service users it is totally unacceptable.

Hope you enjoyed those Vodkas girl.

Have a great 2 days off and try to put this incident out of your mind until you return.

sodascouts
08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, Mike, how scary - you actually rode alone in the car with him hours before he killed someone?? Oh my gosh!!

Thank goodness for people like Troub and Molly who are willing to work in these kind of situations no matter the risks. It must be really taxing - even when you're not getting choked like poor Troub! It amazes me that you were able to keep your cool when that happened!

Troubadour
08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Thank you, guys. I guess it's easy to get used to working in certain conditions, and feeling a kind of false sense of security, especially when you get to know the guys and become fond of them... You're all absolutely right though. We need a working alarm system there. Today made me realise how serious it could get. After all, there's a reason that our service users are living in a residential home, with an access code (known only to staff) on the front door.

Mike, what a terrifying story. That must have shaken you up pretty badly, to say the least.

Perhaps the word "lawsuit" might get someone's attention...

Also known as 'pulling a Henley'. Mmmm. I'm liking this idea more and more... ;)

MikeA
08-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm really not trying to hijack this conversation Lou. I mentioned my experience with a violent patient only to explain my very real reaction to your situation. I do understand exactly where you are coming from.

Yeah. Just hours before Soda. The "word was" that he got mad at one of the other guys in the Ward room where they slept after dinner because the other guy had taken his plastic spoon. They were not allowed any kind of metal utensils...especially knives and forks.

I only worked there for one summer. That was the only really bad thing that I know of that happened or that happened close to where I worked. For the most part, only the patients who were considered "harmless" were allowed Recreation Hall privileges. Most of them had the mentality of about a three-year-old, but they were Adults in size and even innocent actions could be the cause of some pretty serious injuries...unintentional, but still painful. There were a lot of them with Downs Syndrome.

Usually, nothing but harmless things happened. Like the time I was sitting in front of the Rec Hall smoking my briar pipe and talking with a couple of the patients. I had laid my pipe down beside me for a moment and got distracted by one of the patients. While talking with him, another patient had picked up my pipe and had literally EATEN the stim <LOL>

Wow, Mike, how scary - you actually rode alone in the car with him hours before he killed someone?? Oh my gosh!!

Thank goodness for people like Troub and Molly who are willing to work in these kind of situations no matter the risks. It must be really taxing - even when you're not getting choked like poor Troub! It amazes me that you were able to keep your cool when that happened!

Koala
08-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Troub, I am so glad you're OK!

TimothyBFan
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I, like a lot of you here, don't always respond to this thread but want you all to know that I do indeed read it and always have all of you in my thoughts!!!

I've been very busy and a bit stressed out lately so last night hubby took me by the hand after dinner, and led me to my favorite spot on the patio and put on some vinyl. It was great and did the trick. Pulled out some stuff haven't heard for awhile like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Brlp57fZ6A

and Styx Grand Illusion...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVmE3f6Dztk

tho I must say that even tho I like Dennis DeYoung's voice in the above song, since seeing them a few months ago I love Lawrence Gowan better singing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBZqwGnu8o

Anyways, I recommend what we did last night to everyone! Periodically we all need to slowdown/stop and take a breather and then move on! It does wonders for the disposition. :nod:

I want to wish all of you a great weekend and hope you have time to enjoy at least part of it!!!

MikeA
08-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Ah Willie....our anchor in the Maelstrom of Life. Thank you for that reminder. :nod:

sodascouts
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah, that's the truth. I should really do that, too!

Prettymaid
08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, but we miss you ,Wiilie. You're not here as much. :ack:

Stars
08-09-2009, 03:05 PM
My husband and I had a very bad shock today, when we found out a dear friend of ours passed away suddenly on Saturday. Apparently, she and her husband had been away on vacation, when she said she wasn't feeling well. He took her to the hospital, and she passed away shortly afterwards. They think she may have had some sort of heart condition. I'm not sure if she was aware of it, as she never mentioned it to me, but I hadn't actually seen her in about a year.
At any rate, we are both feeling very shocked and sad. I know we'll both miss her.:sad:

sodascouts
08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
How terrible. I'm sorry, Carla.

Troubadour
08-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Carla. Thinking of you.

Glennsallnighter
08-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Awww Carla..... I'm so sorry for you and your friend. I'll keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Stars
08-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you, everyone. I can still hardly believe our friend Suzi is gone. She was a true music lover, and helped hubby and I out with our folk music club in the 80's. Later, she took over the club when hubby and I didn't have time to run it anymore. She will be missed by so many people. May she rest in peace.

Koala
08-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Stars, I'm so sorry to hear that.

TimothyBFan
08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Very very sorry for your loss Stars. My prayers are with her hubby and family.

Brooke
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, too, Stars. Keeping you in my thoughts.

eaglesvet
08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't usually check in on this thread, but I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Suzi, Carla. I didn't know that you had run a folk music club in your past life...interesting.

Troub, that sounds like a little much to expect from you at work. Tell them you won't put up with such escapades any longer!

Prettymaid
08-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Stars, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Stars
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks so much for your condolences, everyone. It means so much. I just found out today that the funeral will be on Thursday. It is still so hard to believe that Suzi is gone-it happened so suddenly. I am hoping to be able to connect with several of our mutual friends on Thursday.
EV, Mike and I started our folk music club in the early eighties. We had been to Scotland and attended the Edinburgh Folk Festival-enjoyed the music so much we decided to bring a little of that to the USA. Our club continues to this day, but Mike and I stopped running it sometime in the 90's. Suzi had taken over as head of the club, something she continued doing until her untimely death on Saturday.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
08-12-2009, 12:29 AM
stars im really sorry for your loss.

This summer has been crazy weve been doing a lot of shopping (my spare room looks like target and kholes had a baby) I'll be leaving in 9 days and cannot wait (i know some of you have kids going to college or are going yourselves and i hope they are as ready as me or have as much fun as i will) classes start the 24 and the first football game is sept. 5 (my friends are in the band, The Pride of WV, and cannot wait to make the outline of our state on the field and play Take Me Home Country Roads) I still have so much packing to do but thats ok i always do things last minute.

I hope everyone is doing well

ticky
08-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Hey Stars, Im so sorry about your friend. It's so much worse when someone you love goes so fast no one has a chance to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you and her family.

We are back from the big family do up on the mountain and it was terrific! On Wednesday we got there and the weather was terrific. Thursday, rain.. rain all day rain rain rain... then on Friday it rained in the morning and cloudy all afternoon, which was a problem. We have a big set up party on Friday. A lot of family and friends show up and help us put up the canopies and cooks tent, move the picnic tables around and bring out all the necessities for the next day. No one showed because of the weather. Fortunately, Cami/Wild, her niece Rio, My Jenni and her friend Aiesha and Cliff and I and M&D and my SIL and her daughter and boy friend ALL worked together and got everything done. BUT come Friday night, when the food was supposed to be out, ready and waiting, we were beat. The rest of them showed for food and fun and we were all napping! hehehe It's okay, we're professionals, we pulled it together and Friday night was party city baby! We ate, we drank, we played music and we laughed.
Saturday was gorgeous. The sun came out and it warmed up and dried everything off. We set up all the table clothes and fired up the grill. Everyone started arriving about noon and the cookie contest was in full swing by 1pm. *I* won second prize in the Lunch box category and Cami/Wild won FIRST in layered cookies. My Mom in Law won second in seasonal with cute hamburger cookies and Sarah one first with her Chocolate Cobwebs!! As always, the food was great and the people were fun.
We had a campfire that night and I played my guitar and sang Avacado and Plug Your Nose Shut (see A New Song thread) they were BIG hits!! We toasted marshmallows and told stories and did all that stuff. The next day most everyone took off. We stuck around till Monday and took everything down and put it all away. The weather was fantastic and, as always I hated to leave.

me at the picnic
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs151.snc1/5612_1211723570304_1145190649_639744_1499280_n.jpg
Sarah and Jesse walking to Aunt Nan's house to play in the garden
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/picnic09/pic09-1.jpg
My Niece, Elle and her boy friend Kyle manning the BBQ!
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/picnic09/pic09-2.jpg
Okay.. lets see.. L-R front, Uncle Steve, Nichole (my cousin Danny's step daughter) Nichole's baby (In her arms), Liela, Amy, Liela's Mom, and Ella, Amy's niece (the back of her head) in the background, My Dad, David (cousin,) Bill and Joann
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/picnic09/pic09-3.jpg
My cousin Danny and the balloon hat I made for him.
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/picnic09/pic09-4.jpg
The girls, trying to fish in the river
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/picnic09/pic09-5.jpg

Glennsallnighter
08-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Carla, once again you have my sympathies during this difficult time for you and your friends family.

GoS! Best of luck with your new adventure. I'm sure you will have the time of your life. College is soooooo exciting. Make the most of your opportunities.

Rhonda, WOW! Sounds like you all had a blast even if the weather didn't cooperate as well as it could have. Your pics are gorgeous and the girls look adorable.....

Welcome back!!

Prettymaid
08-12-2009, 07:31 AM
GOS, I can tell you are really looking forward to college. Have fun and learn something too!

Ticky, the sign of a great party is when unexpected things go wrong or the weather doesn't cooperate and it's still a fun time!

We had a campfire that night and I played my guitar and sang Avacado and Plug Your Nose Shut (see A New Song thread) they were BIG hits!!

Big hit, huh? Now about those royalties...

TimothyBFan
08-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Love the pics Rhonda. To bad the weather wasn't more cooperative (and the people that were suppose to help for that matter!).

GOS--good luck!! We move Dillon down 2 weeks from today and I'm a nervous wreck to say the least. I don't know if he's even tried to start packing yet. Boys!!

BTW, just want to say today is
THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!

Peekaboo
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Lou, I hate that that happened to you but like I said on the phone, I'm just relieved that you are okay. I hope your boss is making the proper precautions to make sure that those emergency alarms are working correctly.

Carla, I'm so very sorry about the loss of your friend. I will definitely be sending out some good thoughts and prayers to you and your friends family.

Have fun getting ready for college, GOS!! I remember doing the same thing your doing 7 years ago. It was so exciting and yet sad for me at the same time. I was excited to be moving on to the next chapter in my life and yet I was sad to be leaving home for the first time. Heck, my mom and I were bawling after my parents helped get me settled in my dorm room. You seem to have a very good head on your shoulders and I wish you the very best of luck on this new chapter in your life. Have the time of your life!!

Willie, good luck to your son as well. He's going to have some fun!!!

Rhonda, those are some very lovely pics. Glad to see the party went off well despite the rain the few days before. I wish I had a place like the cabin to go to. It seems like a very fun get away.

I wanted to get online this morning before I leave for my parents house. It'll be an hour and 20 minute drive. Not too bad after working all night long. We'll be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for Oklahoma City for my mom's surgery. After nearly a month of waiting, she's finally going to have her tumor removed. I don't know that I'll have much time during the next few days to get online because I'll be with her at the hospital. I plan to take a few days off work next week to help her when she gets to go home so I'll try to get online and check in with yall here when I get the chance. Thanks again for the well wishes for my mother. Mom (along with the rest of us) has got her head held high and is keeping the positive vibes going.

Since I'll be at home with my mom while she's recovering from her surgery, I won't be able to see Paul McCartney in Concert on the 18th. I was really looking forward to it but with this happening with my mom right now, i'd much rather be with her. I at least have the Jackson Browne concert to look forward to on the 28th. That ticket is already bought and paid for and I can't wait to see him in concert for the first time.

Stars
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Once again, thank you everyone for your kind words of condolence. The funeral will be tomorrow, and my boss has very kindly given me the time off. My husband was good friends with Suzi too, and he'll also be able to make it to the service.
Ticky, it sounds like you all had a great time at the gathering-I loved the pictures!
GOS, best of luck with your schooling! My son is also starting school soon, and he's very excited about this new chapter in his life. I'm excited for him!:thumbsup:
Peek, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your mom and your family. I am so glad she will finally have the tumor removed. She sounds like a wonderful, positive person, and I know all will go well with her. I'm sorry you have to miss the Paul M. concert, but I know you will LOVE seeing Jackson for the first time. As you know, I just saw him a couple weeks ago, and it was the best I have ever seen him! I'll never forget that concert-it was so special!

Brooke
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
GOS, best of luck to you in college. Don't forget to study!

TBF, good luck to Dillon, too. And first day of school? Already? Ours starts next Wednesday.

Peek, good luck to your Mom. I'm sending good vibes and praying everything will go all right.

Koala
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Ticky, lovely pictures! Sounds like you had a really nice family meeting.
GOS, have fun and good luck!
Peek, good luck to your Mom, my thoughts and prayers are with your Mom!
TBF, good luck to Dillon!